opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 11. Pushit
User Name
Password
Old 07-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483
Pushit & Prison Sex

I think Pushit & Prison Sex are closely connected. They are both songs about being in an abusive relationship. Prison Sex is like the awful childhood memory. While Pushit is referring to the abuse, and if you will, the confrontation between the abused and abuser. They both quite possibly, are referring to the same abuse and to the same someone. Think about it.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Pushit & Prison Sex

Prison Sex is without doubt connected to jimmy, there was even a concert where Maynard says jimmy was a sequel to Prison Sex, Pushit can be a follow-up to PS but im not sure about it, yes they both talking about the abusive relationship but with different character. I always thinking that Pushit was about a men and woman relationship.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicea Sidera View Post
Prison Sex is without doubt connected to jimmy, there was even a concert where Maynard says jimmy was a sequel to Prison Sex, Pushit can be a follow-up to PS but im not sure about it, yes they both talking about the abusive relationship but with different character. I always thinking that Pushit was about a men and woman relationship.
...perhaps
Old 07-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 336

I see no connection between Prison Sex (which is about child abuse) and Pushit (which, I'd argue, is about marital abuse). It's possible that both are about the same person, but since Prison Sex is about MJK, I doubt it. Though, I'm not up-to-date on the state of the relationship between Maynard and his wife as of 1995. However, I'm willing to hear out your potentially crackpot theories.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schema View Post
I see no connection between Prison Sex (which is about child abuse) and Pushit (which, I'd argue, is about marital abuse). It's possible that both are about the same person, but since Prison Sex is about MJK, I doubt it. Though, I'm not up-to-date on the state of the relationship between Maynard and his wife as of 1995. However, I'm willing to hear out your potentially crackpot theories.
actually never married, just engaged, which the fact that it never went through makes the song make even more sense
Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolrox19 View Post
actually never married, just engaged,
correct
Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicea Sidera View Post
I feel that Intolerance is the preface to Pushit, not Prison Sex.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

i have never associated a male or female type of connotation with this song for some reason. I always felt that it was some one: Maynerd (us) has known forever (mother/father/sister/brother ETC:) and there relationship consisted of mutual abuse: I personally think its a tale of two people who would do there best to not be near each other...because there eating each other alive.

a tale "I" feel we all can relate to.

btw its one of the best TOOL tracks imo

EDIT: Im a non pluralizing fool

Last edited by tescovee; 08-30-2008 at 06:43 AM..
Old 08-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

maynerd?

other than that, i guess i follow you...

hahaha
maynerd!
seriously dude?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

what i suppose you might be confusing (my interpretation) abuse and pushit with physical abuse...all i can say is i can push and shove with out ever touching some one.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:54 AM   #11
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tescovee View Post
...all i can say is i can push and shove with out ever touching some one.
You mastered the Jedi power?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tescovee View Post
what i suppose you might be confusing (my interpretation) abuse and pushit with physical abuse...all i can say is i can push and shove with out ever touching some one.
i never thought of Pushit referring to physical abuse.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #13
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post
i never thought of Pushit referring to physical abuse.
I always thought of it as a combination of both physical and emotional abuse, but it doesn't really clarify in any way. I would still think of it more along the lines of mental and emotional abuse.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:32 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

I thought that Prison Sex is the person getting abused as a child, in the song jimmy, he reconnects with the abuser, and then in Pushit he takes on the role of the abuser with a different person. Abuse is a cycle, so what goes around comes around.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #15
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGratefulUndead View Post
I thought that Prison Sex is the person getting abused as a child, in the song jimmy, he reconnects with the abuser, and then in Pushit he takes on the role of the abuser with a different person. Abuse is a cycle, so what goes around comes around.
blew my mind. never made most of these connections. but i always thought that Jimmy was more about saying goodbye to his childhood (or trying to reconnect with it). that he's singing to his past self. Jimmy is another name for James. maybe as a kid he was called Jimmy. all the emotional trauma from PS took away his childlike innocence, and he started going by James to fit his new 'persona' (can't think of a better word). he repressed most of that pain, and the song Jimmy sounds more like revisiting those memories so he can release it. to me, it's an extremely introspective song... and then, like you said, Pushit being the third song in this series, he definitely (yet, unintentionally) takes on the role of being the abuser.

Last edited by Malaclypse; 09-20-2015 at 09:35 AM..
Old 09-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaclypse View Post
blew my mind. never made most of these connections. but i always thought that Jimmy was more about saying goodbye to his childhood (or trying to reconnect with it). that he's singing to his past self. Jimmy is another name for James. maybe as a kid he was called Jimmy. all the emotional trauma from PS took away his childlike innocence, and he started going by James to fit his new 'persona' (can't think of a better word). he repressed most of that pain, and the song Jimmy sounds more like revisiting those memories so he can release it. to me, it's an extremely introspective song... and then, like you said, Pushit being the third song in this series, he definitely (yet, unintentionally) takes on the role of being the abuser.
I don't think his, "becoming an abuser," means that he reaches the level of abuse referenced in Prison Sex, though. Pushit seems to be almost a response to abuse, or perhaps a mutually damaging relationship. Prison Sex is very explicitly one-sided, and even references a sort of return to abuse applied to himself...I could see Pushit expressing a view that he had been abused/abused another in a different way, but Prison Sex is the only song I can think of in their collected works that references carrying out abusive sexual practices in response to one's own painful memories.

Either way, I don't think Prison Sex and Pushit ought to be linked, honestly. They seem to be from different perspectives--one from a very painful, angry, reactive place, and another from a place that is still angry but past that point and reflecting on past experiences, then using that knowledge to respond to present experience. To me it seems Maynard addressed most of his original anger and pain in Opiate and Undertow (see Cold and Ugly, which I believe is about his mother, Jerk Off, Prison Sex, and much of Undertow) and then AEnima is from a space that is beyond that abuse, learning to address life having lived through a relationship like that, which at times manifests in violent responses to abuse found in other ways (Pushit).

There's my four cents, I guess. TL;DR: I don't believe the sexual abuse lamented in Prison Sex relates to the verbal/emotional abuse in Pushit. It seems to be a different relationship he is referencing, and from a different perspective based on that time in his life. But I could be very wrong, of course.

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016

Last edited by SpiralOut34; 09-20-2015 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Who needs air quotes? I need air quotes.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: