Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Spring 2012
User Name
Password
kanaduh
06-23-2012, 06:50 AM

Here is the review thread for the Tool show in St. Paul, Minnesota for Saturday, June 23, 2012.

SETLIST
Hooker
Jambi
Stinkfist
Pushit
Schism
46 & 2
Lateralus
Parabola
Aenema

****PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU ATTENDED THE SHOW****

Enjoy!

Last edited by kanaduh; 06-24-2012 at 08:56 AM..
Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45
REVIEW THREAD: Rivers Edge Music Festival

Here is the review thread for the Tool show in St. Paul, Minnesota for Saturday, June 23, 2012.

SETLIST
Hooker
Jambi
Stinkfist
Pushit
Schism
46 & 2
Lateralus
Parabola
Aenema

****PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU ATTENDED THE SHOW****

Enjoy!

Last edited by kanaduh; 06-24-2012 at 08:56 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
06-23-2012, 07:10 AM

Isn't it Rivers Edge?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619
Re: REVIEW THREAD: Cutting Edge Music Festival

Isn't it Rivers Edge?
06-23-2012, 04:09 PM

Rivers Edge - like the Dennis Hopper movie. Great film btw
* 8/18/1998-Thomas & Mack Center | UNLV , Las Vegas,NV.
* 8/3/2001-Red Rocks Amphitheater | Morrison, CO.
* 10/11/2002-Coors Events Center | University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
* 5/5/2006-The(original)Joint | The Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV.
* 9/1/2006-Theater Under the Stars | The Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV.
* 4/27/2007-The Pearl at The Palms | Las Vegas, NV.
* 4/28/2007-The Pearl at The Palms | Las Vegas, NV.
* 7/16/2010-Planet Hollywood Theater | Las Vegas, NV.
* 1/15/2012-Mandalay Bay | Las Vegas, NV.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: REVIEW THREAD: Cutting Edge Music Festival

Rivers Edge - like the Dennis Hopper movie. Great film btw
* 8/18/1998-Thomas & Mack Center | UNLV , Las Vegas,NV.
* 8/3/2001-Red Rocks Amphitheater | Morrison, CO.
* 10/11/2002-Coors Events Center | University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
* 5/5/2006-The(original)Joint | The Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV.
* 9/1/2006-Theater Under the Stars | The Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV.
* 4/27/2007-The Pearl at The Palms | Las Vegas, NV.
* 4/28/2007-The Pearl at The Palms | Las Vegas, NV.
* 7/16/2010-Planet Hollywood Theater | Las Vegas, NV.
* 1/15/2012-Mandalay Bay | Las Vegas, NV.
kanaduh
06-23-2012, 09:55 PM

As soon as Tool announced its single show for 2012, I knew I would be going. Obviously flying would have made more sense from Toronto, by why do that? Nothing beats a roadtrip! Conveniently enough, Maynard scheduled his Puscifer tour alongside the festival performance, so I was fortunate enough to make stopovers in Buffalo and Columbus to see Puscifer along the way.

The first day I made the trip over the border to Buffalo. They were playing in a small venue called the Riviera Theatre. One thing I absolutely love about Puscifer is that they play in very obscure, historical and unique venues. This place could not have had more than a few hundred seats, making it a very intimiate setting. I realize this is a Tool thread, but I am going to include my Puscifer experience and review in it as well.

Much to my surprise, the historic venue in Buffalo was selling Guinness - on tap. Seriously, most people do not appreciate how fucking awesome this is. GUINNESS. On tap. At a concert venue. Pints for $6! Needless to say, I got pretty damn drunk on my favourite beer. It was glorious.
As always, Junior was kind enough to talk to me before the show. He is touring with Puscifer for the entire tour, and of course would be lighting up the stage for Tool at Rivers Edge.

I have said it before and will continue to say it: Puscifer is an absolutely amazing experience live. I have been to dozens of concerts over the past few years, and not a single one of them was even remotely similar to Puscifer. Imagine a rock concert, comedy show, acting skits, custom videos, dance show, and movie all juxtaposed into one stage performance. That is Puscifer.

Maynard danced and moved around like the early Tool days. The passion and effort he puts into Puscifer is very evident when you see them live. Puscifer is his baby - and I think he will continue this project for a very, very long time.

My only complaint of Puscifer is that they are still not playing Humbling River (by far their best song imo), but oh well. Other than that, the setlist was outstanding. I was glad that they changed it up significantly compared to the last few tours. It was a nice mix of all 3 albums:

Queen B
Vagina Mine
Dozo
Toma
The Rapture
Tiny Monsters
Rev 22/20
The Weaver
Potions
Horizons
Conditions of my Parole
Man Overboard
Telling Ghosts
The Undertaker

After a horrible morning trying to get over the hangover, the girlfriend and I commenced the trek to Columbus Ohio to catch Puscifer one more time before the festival. This was a sober show for me, as I was still recovering from the previous night. What's great about going to multiple shows of the same band is getting to experience it from different perspectives. The drunken show in Buffalo was wildly fun, exciting, and just a fucking great experience. The sober show though was equally as great.

One of the most memorable things for me was watching how Maynard communicated with the band. Often during songs he would simply walk around the stage and watch Carina or one of the other band members playing. Sometimes Maynard would throw shit at the drummer just to try to mess him up. You could tell that every single person on that stage was genuniely having an awesome time and loved what they were doing. This is such an incredibly refreshing thing to see from Maynard. That's what Puscifer is to me: refreshing. It's a chaotic, quirky way for Maynard to express his non-Tool related artistic expressions.

Now Puscifer was completed. Bring on TOOL!

Friday morning we began the drive from Columbus to Minny. I am a huge soccer fan, and with the Euro Cup currently going on there was no way I would be missing the Germany vs Greece quarter finals. I was able to plan the roadtrip out so we were driving through Indianapolis about an hour before the game. We found a sports bar downtown that surprisingly was playing the game with sound (Euro Cup isn't a thing in the USA, I've found), had a few drinks, and watched my German bros destroy Greece. Good times!

We continued driving for plenty more hours, stopped for some always-intriquing American fast food (was it Steak n' Shake or White Castle?) along the way, and called it a day somewhere past Chicago.

Saturday would be a glorious day - ahead of me after another 400 or so kilometers was my 30th Tool show!

We got into Minny at about 4:00PM, which was fine as I had little interest in most of the other bands playing at the festival. One of the first things I noticed at the festival was one of the Alex Grey booths set up in the vendors area. I was able to buy one of those absolutely insane net of being shirts with the 10 000 days artwork everywhere, in many different colours. Absolutely the most awesome shirt I have ever worn. I'll post some pictures. Also surprising is the fact they only charged $50 for the shirt. Considering the official merch booth charges $40 for shitty quality overpriced black Tool shirts, I thought this Alex Grey booth was an amazing deal. At the official merch booth, there was a custom poster for the gig; however, it's pretty much the same as most of them from the January tour earlier this year. I also noticed them selling a $500 custom "adam doodle" poster again.

My next order of business would be acquiring some performance enhancing drugs. Tool concerts and marijuana were made for each other, as most of you know. My supply of the substance is endless at home, however I would not dare risk taking it over the USA border. I made a quick post the other day on both toolshed and fourtheye asking for anybody willing to help me out in acquiring some ganja.

The amount of responses I got from generous Tool fans willing to hook me up was impressive. After an unnamed forum member supplied me with some local Minnesota pre-rolled bud, I was good to go. This is why I love the Tool community.

The next stop would be for alcohol. The beer selection was the usual American bud-light or lime beers or other such piss waters ;)

Because I'm a classy mother fucker, I decided it would be a wine evening. Now you have to picture the amount of stares I got from people while I walked through crowds wearing the Alex Grey colourful net of being shirt, while double-fisting two glasses of red wine. It was simply awesome.

At this point we were ready for the show and secured our place along the barrier, about 15-20 feet from the stage. Being the nerd that I am, the first thing I noticed on the stage was Adam's talk-box voice-guitar-distorter contraption, so Jambi was certain to be on the setlist for the 30th time out of the 30 shows. I also recognized Aaron Harris (ISIS/Palms drummer) setting up the kit for Danny Carrey. Junior was also around, doing his usual thing.

Before I start on the Tool review, I will take this time to say that I was very impressed with the organization of this festival. This was easily the best festival experience I have ever had. The ticket system used wristbands which could be scanned which allowed unlimited entry/exits. The cops and security were very lenient and did not bother anyone, including filming/smoking/etc. There were plenty of washrooms and the lines were not very long. The alchohol tents were plentiful and I never waited more than 4-5 minutes to procure a beverage. The location itself was perfect, right along the waterfront and main river going through the city. Overall I dont have a single negative thing to say about the festival.

8:45 hits and Tool takes the stage. I finish my wine and light up the joint.

SETLIST
Hooker
Jambi
Stinkfist
Pushit
Schism
46 & 2
Lateralus
Parabola
Aenema

Last edited by kanaduh; 06-24-2012 at 08:58 AM..
Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Re: REVIEW THREAD: Rivers Edge Music Festival

As soon as Tool announced its single show for 2012, I knew I would be going. Obviously flying would have made more sense from Toronto, by why do that? Nothing beats a roadtrip! Conveniently enough, Maynard scheduled his Puscifer tour alongside the festival performance, so I was fortunate enough to make stopovers in Buffalo and Columbus to see Puscifer along the way.

The first day I made the trip over the border to Buffalo. They were playing in a small venue called the Riviera Theatre. One thing I absolutely love about Puscifer is that they play in very obscure, historical and unique venues. This place could not have had more than a few hundred seats, making it a very intimiate setting. I realize this is a Tool thread, but I am going to include my Puscifer experience and review in it as well.

Much to my surprise, the historic venue in Buffalo was selling Guinness - on tap. Seriously, most people do not appreciate how fucking awesome this is. GUINNESS. On tap. At a concert venue. Pints for $6! Needless to say, I got pretty damn drunk on my favourite beer. It was glorious.
As always, Junior was kind enough to talk to me before the show. He is touring with Puscifer for the entire tour, and of course would be lighting up the stage for Tool at Rivers Edge.

I have said it before and will continue to say it: Puscifer is an absolutely amazing experience live. I have been to dozens of concerts over the past few years, and not a single one of them was even remotely similar to Puscifer. Imagine a rock concert, comedy show, acting skits, custom videos, dance show, and movie all juxtaposed into one stage performance. That is Puscifer.

Maynard danced and moved around like the early Tool days. The passion and effort he puts into Puscifer is very evident when you see them live. Puscifer is his baby - and I think he will continue this project for a very, very long time.

My only complaint of Puscifer is that they are still not playing Humbling River (by far their best song imo), but oh well. Other than that, the setlist was outstanding. I was glad that they changed it up significantly compared to the last few tours. It was a nice mix of all 3 albums:

Queen B
Vagina Mine
Dozo
Toma
The Rapture
Tiny Monsters
Rev 22/20
The Weaver
Potions
Horizons
Conditions of my Parole
Man Overboard
Telling Ghosts
The Undertaker

After a horrible morning trying to get over the hangover, the girlfriend and I commenced the trek to Columbus Ohio to catch Puscifer one more time before the festival. This was a sober show for me, as I was still recovering from the previous night. What's great about going to multiple shows of the same band is getting to experience it from different perspectives. The drunken show in Buffalo was wildly fun, exciting, and just a fucking great experience. The sober show though was equally as great.

One of the most memorable things for me was watching how Maynard communicated with the band. Often during songs he would simply walk around the stage and watch Carina or one of the other band members playing. Sometimes Maynard would throw shit at the drummer just to try to mess him up. You could tell that every single person on that stage was genuniely having an awesome time and loved what they were doing. This is such an incredibly refreshing thing to see from Maynard. That's what Puscifer is to me: refreshing. It's a chaotic, quirky way for Maynard to express his non-Tool related artistic expressions.

Now Puscifer was completed. Bring on TOOL!

Friday morning we began the drive from Columbus to Minny. I am a huge soccer fan, and with the Euro Cup currently going on there was no way I would be missing the Germany vs Greece quarter finals. I was able to plan the roadtrip out so we were driving through Indianapolis about an hour before the game. We found a sports bar downtown that surprisingly was playing the game with sound (Euro Cup isn't a thing in the USA, I've found), had a few drinks, and watched my German bros destroy Greece. Good times!

We continued driving for plenty more hours, stopped for some always-intriquing American fast food (was it Steak n' Shake or White Castle?) along the way, and called it a day somewhere past Chicago.

Saturday would be a glorious day - ahead of me after another 400 or so kilometers was my 30th Tool show!

We got into Minny at about 4:00PM, which was fine as I had little interest in most of the other bands playing at the festival. One of the first things I noticed at the festival was one of the Alex Grey booths set up in the vendors area. I was able to buy one of those absolutely insane net of being shirts with the 10 000 days artwork everywhere, in many different colours. Absolutely the most awesome shirt I have ever worn. I'll post some pictures. Also surprising is the fact they only charged $50 for the shirt. Considering the official merch booth charges $40 for shitty quality overpriced black Tool shirts, I thought this Alex Grey booth was an amazing deal. At the official merch booth, there was a custom poster for the gig; however, it's pretty much the same as most of them from the January tour earlier this year. I also noticed them selling a $500 custom "adam doodle" poster again.

My next order of business would be acquiring some performance enhancing drugs. Tool concerts and marijuana were made for each other, as most of you know. My supply of the substance is endless at home, however I would not dare risk taking it over the USA border. I made a quick post the other day on both toolshed and fourtheye asking for anybody willing to help me out in acquiring some ganja.

The amount of responses I got from generous Tool fans willing to hook me up was impressive. After an unnamed forum member supplied me with some local Minnesota pre-rolled bud, I was good to go. This is why I love the Tool community.

The next stop would be for alcohol. The beer selection was the usual American bud-light or lime beers or other such piss waters ;)

Because I'm a classy mother fucker, I decided it would be a wine evening. Now you have to picture the amount of stares I got from people while I walked through crowds wearing the Alex Grey colourful net of being shirt, while double-fisting two glasses of red wine. It was simply awesome.

At this point we were ready for the show and secured our place along the barrier, about 15-20 feet from the stage. Being the nerd that I am, the first thing I noticed on the stage was Adam's talk-box voice-guitar-distorter contraption, so Jambi was certain to be on the setlist for the 30th time out of the 30 shows. I also recognized Aaron Harris (ISIS/Palms drummer) setting up the kit for Danny Carrey. Junior was also around, doing his usual thing.

Before I start on the Tool review, I will take this time to say that I was very impressed with the organization of this festival. This was easily the best festival experience I have ever had. The ticket system used wristbands which could be scanned which allowed unlimited entry/exits. The cops and security were very lenient and did not bother anyone, including filming/smoking/etc. There were plenty of washrooms and the lines were not very long. The alchohol tents were plentiful and I never waited more than 4-5 minutes to procure a beverage. The location itself was perfect, right along the waterfront and main river going through the city. Overall I dont have a single negative thing to say about the festival.

SETLIST
Hooker
Jambi
Stinkfist
Pushit
Schism
46 & 2
Lateralus
Parabola
Aenema

Last edited by kanaduh; 06-24-2012 at 08:58 AM..
kanaduh
06-24-2012, 08:59 AM

Adam fucked up the intro to Jambi. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I'm pretty sure it was his fault because he looked pissed off. Maynard's first words of the night were, "Let's try this again." Adam got Jambi off to a better start the second time.

The sound quality was outstanding for an outdoor festival. I could clearly hear the drums, guitar and bass and the balance was almost perfect. Most surprisingly would be that I could also hear Maynard for pretty much the entire show. Of course he doesn't hit the massive screaming notes like he did many years ago, but he still nails pretty much every song. Considering the man is nearly 50 years old, he did a damn fine job at it.
The highlight of the night for me was Parabola, which I have only heard live once before. Adam teased a little bit of the Parabol intro before bursting into the heavy riff. The vocals were crisp and perfect for the entire song.

The visuals, lights and lasers were exactly what anyone would expect them to be for a Tool show: ridiculous, trippy and mind blowing. I'm surprised they went all-out with the full visual show for just a single festival show with no tour. Cheers to Tool for that.
During Lateralus, they had a guy come on the stage juggling a cube-sphere device that lit up in different colours as he moved/threw it around. This was actually pretty insane and a great change from the usual extended-drum session they have done in the past. After he got off the stage, Maynard declared, "That's either some really good acid, or there was a juggler on stage. Or both."

The setlist was short, but that was to be expected. Maynard invited the crowd to check out Puscifer on Sunday, and concluded with Aenema.

Here was the really fucking cool part: The lights did not go back on after the show. As soon as the band left the stage, they started blasting techno-rave music very loudly. Soon after, the Tool laser guy started having fun with his toys and lasers were blasting in every single direction, with bass-heavy rave music pounding my ears.

Let me preface this by saying that I HATE dance music. I HATE clubbing. I HATE raves.
Yet suddenly, mere seconds after the Tool show had ended, while intoxicated and certainly high, I found myself in the middle of a Tool-inspired rave. It was BEAUTIFUL! I hope other people who were there post about this experience as well, because I think it was an absolutely fucking brilliant way to transition from the Tool show. I am now going to want every single Tool concert I ever go to to end with a massive dance rave party with lasers.

Well folks, that is all for now. Gonna check out the Puscifer show today at the same festival, although I'm not sure if I'll stick around for headliner.

Still got a longggggg drive back to Toronto ahead of me!

Thanks to the toolshed/fourtheye posters I met yesterday. As always, you guys make these trips worth it. A lot of friends I meet from this site I end up keeping in touch with for a very long time. And Cheers to Tool for pulling off another brilliant show.

-Kanaduh

Setting up the stage: http://i45.tinypic.com/kd0ia1.jpg

HWAP: http://i45.tinypic.com/2ebyb6x.jpg

"Juggler" during Lateralus: http://i47.tinypic.com/mkkitv.jpg

Finale: http://i48.tinypic.com/rho2kw.jpg
Old 06-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Adam fucked up the intro to Jambi. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I'm pretty sure it was his fault because he looked pissed off. Maynard's first words of the night were, "Let's try this again." Adam got Jambi off to a better start the second time.

The sound quality was outstanding for an outdoor festival. I could clearly hear the drums, guitar and bass and the balance was almost perfect. Most surprisingly would be that I could also hear Maynard for pretty much the entire show. Of course he doesn't hit the massive screaming notes like he did many years ago, but he still nails pretty much every song. Considering the man is nearly 50 years old, he did a damn fine job at it.
The highlight of the night for me was Parabola, which I have only heard live once before. Adam teased a little bit of the Parabol intro before bursting into the heavy riff. The vocals were crisp and perfect for the entire song.

The visuals, lights and lasers were exactly what anyone would expect them to be for a Tool show: ridiculous, trippy and mind blowing. I'm surprised they went all-out with the full visual show for just a single festival show with no tour. Cheers to Tool for that.
During Lateralus, they had a guy come on the stage juggling a cube-sphere device that lit up in different colours as he moved/threw it around. This was actually pretty insane and a great change from the usual extended-drum session they have done in the past. After he got off the stage, Maynard declared, "That's either some really good acid, or there was a juggler on stage. Or both."

The setlist was short, but that was to be expected. Maynard invited the crowd to check out Puscifer on Sunday, and concluded with Aenema.

Here was the really fucking cool part: The lights did not go back on after the show. As soon as the band left the stage, they started blasting techno-rave music very loudly. Soon after, the Tool laser guy started having fun with his toys and lasers were blasting in every single direction, with bass-heavy rave music pounding my ears.

Let me preface this by saying that I HATE dance music. I HATE clubbing. I HATE raves.
Yet suddenly, mere seconds after the Tool show had ended, while intoxicated and certainly high, I found myself in the middle of a Tool-inspired rave. It was BEAUTIFUL! I hope other people who were there post about this experience as well, because I think it was an absolutely fucking brilliant way to transition from the Tool show. I am now going to want every single Tool concert I ever go to to end with a massive dance rave party with lasers.

Well folks, that is all for now. Gonna check out the Puscifer show today at the same festival, although I'm not sure if I'll stick around for headliner.

Still got a longggggg drive back to Toronto ahead of me!

Thanks to the toolshed/fourtheye posters I met yesterday. As always, you guys make these trips worth it. A lot of friends I meet from this site I end up keeping in touch with for a very long time. And Cheers to Tool for pulling off another brilliant show.

-Kanaduh

Setting up the stage: http://i45.tinypic.com/kd0ia1.jpg

HWAP: http://i45.tinypic.com/2ebyb6x.jpg

"Juggler" during Lateralus: http://i47.tinypic.com/mkkitv.jpg

Finale: http://i48.tinypic.com/rho2kw.jpg
06-25-2012, 01:06 PM

Being from St Paul I was very proud of the festival this weekend, I thought everything was very well organized and it was a perfect setting. That being said, I would prefer to see Tool under an arena setting rather than a music festival. It just feels like a more intimate setting at an arena and you deal with less hassles of idiots in a big crowd.

The show itself was amazing, the sound was great and the band seemed on as usual minus a few hiccups. I took some acid earlier in the day, I definitely peaked before Tool but had a perfect trip going when they came on. The visuals were absolutely mind blowing. My only gripe of the whole show were the drunk fucking idiots screaming around me. Saw a few people pass out in the crowd and get hauled out. Never understood why people have to get so shit faced for Tool. Drops some acid, smoke a joint, get a buzz going, whatever, but please don't get shit faced then act like an idiot and ruin the experience for others.

Can't wait to see Tool again after the new album drops, hopefully they come back to Rivers Edge next summer!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Being from St Paul I was very proud of the festival this weekend, I thought everything was very well organized and it was a perfect setting. That being said, I would prefer to see Tool under an arena setting rather than a music festival. It just feels like a more intimate setting at an arena and you deal with less hassles of idiots in a big crowd.

The show itself was amazing, the sound was great and the band seemed on as usual minus a few hiccups. I took some acid earlier in the day, I definitely peaked before Tool but had a perfect trip going when they came on. The visuals were absolutely mind blowing. My only gripe of the whole show were the drunk fucking idiots screaming around me. Saw a few people pass out in the crowd and get hauled out. Never understood why people have to get so shit faced for Tool. Drops some acid, smoke a joint, get a buzz going, whatever, but please don't get shit faced then act like an idiot and ruin the experience for others.

Can't wait to see Tool again after the new album drops, hopefully they come back to Rivers Edge next summer!
jmkees1's Avatar jmkees1
06-25-2012, 03:48 PM

The show was excellent! I was very impressed with the sound quality, & quite honestly, being outdoors, I did not expect it to sound so good. The visual effects, as usual, were great. Once the sun was down, & the laser show came up, the whole experience just got better. From the moment Danny walked onstage to start Hooker With A Penis, until the they were offstage after Aenima, TOOL absolutely killed it. It was also great to see them at the end, looking as though they enjoyed it as much as the crowd. I hope they did, & I hope they are the Rivers Edge Music Festival staple, for years to come! Thank you to all involved with getting TOOL at this event.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

The show was excellent! I was very impressed with the sound quality, & quite honestly, being outdoors, I did not expect it to sound so good. The visual effects, as usual, were great. Once the sun was down, & the laser show came up, the whole experience just got better. From the moment Danny walked onstage to start Hooker With A Penis, until the they were offstage after Aenima, TOOL absolutely killed it. It was also great to see them at the end, looking as though they enjoyed it as much as the crowd. I hope they did, & I hope they are the Rivers Edge Music Festival staple, for years to come! Thank you to all involved with getting TOOL at this event.
theangryintern
06-25-2012, 03:56 PM

Like Kanaduh said, they started playing Deadmau5 right after Tool got done. My initial reaction was that they were trying to get all the Tool fans to leave by playing some EDM, but then the lasers came back on and they left the house lights off, so for about 20 minutes or so there was an impromptu dance party right in front of the stage. The vast majority of the crowd left, so it was pretty fun to be up there dancing around with the rest of the people who stayed. Great show, Tool never fails to put on a great show, this is the 5th time I've gotten to see them, 2nd time in a festival setting (first was Street Scene in San Diego) and I'm with stp84, I like them indoors headlining their own show better. Longer set, better atmosphere for the lasers and video screens, It was still pretty light out when they started so we didn't get the full effect of the light show until near the end of their set. I was also a little ticked off that Tool only got 1 hr 15 minutes when Dave Matthews Band got over 3 hours the next night. Would have liked another 45 minutes of Tool goodness.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Like Kanaduh said, they started playing Deadmau5 right after Tool got done. My initial reaction was that they were trying to get all the Tool fans to leave by playing some EDM, but then the lasers came back on and they left the house lights off, so for about 20 minutes or so there was an impromptu dance party right in front of the stage. The vast majority of the crowd left, so it was pretty fun to be up there dancing around with the rest of the people who stayed. Great show, Tool never fails to put on a great show, this is the 5th time I've gotten to see them, 2nd time in a festival setting (first was Street Scene in San Diego) and I'm with stp84, I like them indoors headlining their own show better. Longer set, better atmosphere for the lasers and video screens, It was still pretty light out when they started so we didn't get the full effect of the light show until near the end of their set. I was also a little ticked off that Tool only got 1 hr 15 minutes when Dave Matthews Band got over 3 hours the next night. Would have liked another 45 minutes of Tool goodness.
Authority
06-25-2012, 04:42 PM

Pretty awesome and fun show. Didn't get both days due to DMB, so went for tool and had a blast.
If anyone wants a screen saver from the show I took this one. http://i.imgur.com/x2zU6.jpg

Last edited by Authority; 06-25-2012 at 04:45 PM..
Old 06-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Pretty awesome and fun show. Didn't get both days due to DMB, so went for tool and had a blast.
If anyone wants a screen saver from the show I took this one. http://i.imgur.com/x2zU6.jpg

Last edited by Authority; 06-25-2012 at 04:45 PM..
El Shaggy's Avatar El Shaggy
06-26-2012, 06:32 AM

I was probably 30ft behind you there authority. Perfect end to an excellent day, my girlfriend and I boogied outta there when the lights went up at the end of Aenima, so I missed out on the Deadmau5 lasers how which sounds like it woulda been awesome.

I probably don't maintain a fierce fandom of tool like some others here, I love their music and I was quited excited to see them here at the fest. I would have loved to see Puscifer but we were pre-gaming and got there a few songs in and the crowd was big enough for me to say fuck it let's get jalapeño cheese curds and a summit. This is what you should have been drinking kanaduh, excellent American craft beer. made right here in Minnesota, but if Guinness is your faveorite beer You may not have cared for our American craft beer.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #10
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1725

I was probably 30ft behind you there authority. Perfect end to an excellent day, my girlfriend and I boogied outta there when the lights went up at the end of Aenima, so I missed out on the Deadmau5 lasers how which sounds like it woulda been awesome.

I probably don't maintain a fierce fandom of tool like some others here, I love their music and I was quited excited to see them here at the fest. I would have loved to see Puscifer but we were pre-gaming and got there a few songs in and the crowd was big enough for me to say fuck it let's get jalapeño cheese curds and a summit. This is what you should have been drinking kanaduh, excellent American craft beer. made right here in Minnesota, but if Guinness is your faveorite beer You may not have cared for our American craft beer.
sianspheric's Avatar sianspheric
06-26-2012, 07:52 AM

great review kanudah.

pretty solid setlist for a festival show. 9 songs and 5 from Aenima :)
Old 06-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174

great review kanudah.

pretty solid setlist for a festival show. 9 songs and 5 from Aenima :)
jazo
06-26-2012, 12:36 PM

To sum it up, my mind was once again blown by a performance by TOOL.

Made it to the Bishop Stage around 10 minutes into Sublime's set. Really glad we did because just as we got to our spot (about 40 feet back, left-center) it really started to fill in.

Anticipation was very high as we heard the echo'ing What I Got filter through the crowd. Not even 5 minutes after Sublime stopped, the band was on the stage and the crowd ready.

Did not have any expectation for the setlist but figured we'd be getting something similar to the winter tour when I heard the opening riff to Hooker. That song took hold of the crowd up front pretty much instantly. Energy was very high and I thought a pit was going to start but it was kept mostly in check. As far as I could tell, they nailed this song all the way. Maynard highly emphasized the "buy my new record" line and pointed a finger to the sky as if to indicate his continuing disdain but also (of course) slight pleasure in the way he does business with his creative output.

Jambi had a false start and Adam looked LIVID. I was close enough to see him give a mean death stare off stage to who I presume was his guitar-tech. Shaking his head and with Maynard giving a comedic "Let's try that again!" he started and from then on it was smooth sailing. Justin did start a few beats early and with a smile on his face, blatantly counted out the beats until his proper time to join in. Jambi's heavy metal middle got the pit going up front and I remember it being quite hectic throughout the end of that song in the crowd.

Stinkfist was next and they launched into it after Danny played a little remix of the sounds heard off the album. I enjoyed this as usually Adam starts Stinkfist so it was cool to hear a little variation. The moshers LOVED this track and it prompted a guy next to me to ditch his Canon DSLR and basically pass it off to me so he could join the pit. I promptly protected that thing and rocked with it on my back the rest of the set. I miss not getting the extension for this song but it still rocks regardless.

Pushit came next and I had a very awesome "wow I get to hear this one again, YES" moment. It was so on point, every transition and high moment capitalized by each respective member. Toward the end when Adam and Danny start to each just go nuts the crowd was just screaming in appreciation the entire time. Adam's "solo" in there is such a treat to hear/see him play live. Maynard absolutely nailed the another WAAAAAAAY at the end.

Reeeally wanted to hear the "new" sounds they were teasing before Schism last tour but they started right in on it. I've heard this one, obviously, every time I've seen them but I'll be damned if it didn't sound the best this time. The last whole minute Danny was playing with such force, I kind of wish he would have broken that glass snare with a monstrous hit and given us all the opportunity to shout "BOOMSHAKALAKA!" like in NBA Jam.

The Schism extension is pretty fucking fast. It will never get old hearing them basically show off for a minute. The crowd certainly went crazy for that part.

Transitioning directly to Forty Six & 2, I knew we were in for some kind of treat at the end of the set, more on that to come. This is a crowd favorite and I could hear the collective singing along the entire time to this one. The back screen is especially awesome on this song for the visual cues. During Danny's solo the giant sigil array spins and grows and shines so awesomely, it is such a powerful moment leading up to the epic ending. Crowd goes nuts at the end of this one, so much love.

Lateralus started up pretty quickly thereafter... huge highlight of the night for me every time I see them. This time they played straight through which I LOVED since I've only seen it straight through (with no drum-off) one other time. What really made it special though this time was the INCREDIBLE acrobatic/juggling skill of the random guy who showed up during the second verse. You can find some crappy youtube videos of it for reference but WOW, my eyes were just not even sure what I was watching.

The "break down" if you will of Lateralus is always so empowering and being out under the sky for my first time seeing TOOL outdoors, the weather perfect, the crowd loving it, it was magical. The gong hit, the Spiral OUT!, the visuals at the very end when they are just fucking around trying to end the song at the same time... *sigh* always a bitter-sweet moment when it finally does end.

The real treat of this show came next though with Parabola. My ears have never heard such sweet guitar sound. I've always given Adam a lot of credit for the Parabola riff but after hearing it live I don't think I gave it quite enough. His solo'd sections cut through the night like a sonic knife through butter. Maynard gave me total chills with his commitment to the "ALIIIIIIVE" line and the three others did the same through the middle segue. For not performing that song very much, my word, they were ON IT.

Having that kind of energy move through the crowd AFTER Lateralus was also a real treat as I am of course used to Aenema following and closing. Definitely gave thanks for my chance to be alive and breathing at the end of that one.

Aenema came and went in a blink for me. The crowd certainly knows this one as well. The final moments of them being on stage were filled with noise and praise. Justin and Adam met in center stage and shook hands as Danny reappeared from behind his kit and took a bow. He chucked a drum head out like a frisbee which landed a little bit behind me. Seeing him move around while standing... what a tank of a human he is at 50 years old.

As some people have mentioned, impromptu laser dance party post-TOOL show is a MUST going forward. The high spirits of everyone was like natural MDMA and it was super sweet to be able and dance around for a bit as the crowd filtered out.

Overall, this show is testing my assessment of which time has been the best for me because they really brought it in a good way for River's Edge. The whole night was perfect and I will never forget my first (and possibly only) general admission TOOL experience.
7/30/09 - Fairfax
7/10/10 - Seattle
1/24/12 - Toledo
6/23/12 - River's Edge
10/31/15 - Tempe
10/22/16 - Aftershock
6/17/17 - The Gorge

Last edited by jazo; 06-26-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

To sum it up, my mind was once again blown by a performance by TOOL.

Made it to the Bishop Stage around 10 minutes into Sublime's set. Really glad we did because just as we got to our spot (about 40 feet back, left-center) it really started to fill in.

Anticipation was very high as we heard the echo'ing What I Got filter through the crowd. Not even 5 minutes after Sublime stopped, the band was on the stage and the crowd ready.

Did not have any expectation for the setlist but figured we'd be getting something similar to the winter tour when I heard the opening riff to Hooker. That song took hold of the crowd up front pretty much instantly. Energy was very high and I thought a pit was going to start but it was kept mostly in check. As far as I could tell, they nailed this song all the way. Maynard highly emphasized the "buy my new record" line and pointed a finger to the sky as if to indicate his continuing disdain but also (of course) slight pleasure in the way he does business with his creative output.

Jambi had a false start and Adam looked LIVID. I was close enough to see him give a mean death stare off stage to who I presume was his guitar-tech. Shaking his head and with Maynard giving a comedic "Let's try that again!" he started and from then on it was smooth sailing. Justin did start a few beats early and with a smile on his face, blatantly counted out the beats until his proper time to join in. Jambi's heavy metal middle got the pit going up front and I remember it being quite hectic throughout the end of that song in the crowd.

Stinkfist was next and they launched into it after Danny played a little remix of the sounds heard off the album. I enjoyed this as usually Adam starts Stinkfist so it was cool to hear a little variation. The moshers LOVED this track and it prompted a guy next to me to ditch his Canon DSLR and basically pass it off to me so he could join the pit. I promptly protected that thing and rocked with it on my back the rest of the set. I miss not getting the extension for this song but it still rocks regardless.

Pushit came next and I had a very awesome "wow I get to hear this one again, YES" moment. It was so on point, every transition and high moment capitalized by each respective member. Toward the end when Adam and Danny start to each just go nuts the crowd was just screaming in appreciation the entire time. Adam's "solo" in there is such a treat to hear/see him play live. Maynard absolutely nailed the another WAAAAAAAY at the end.

Reeeally wanted to hear the "new" sounds they were teasing before Schism last tour but they started right in on it. I've heard this one, obviously, every time I've seen them but I'll be damned if it didn't sound the best this time. The last whole minute Danny was playing with such force, I kind of wish he would have broken that glass snare with a monstrous hit and given us all the opportunity to shout "BOOMSHAKALAKA!" like in NBA Jam.

The Schism extension is pretty fucking fast. It will never get old hearing them basically show off for a minute. The crowd certainly went crazy for that part.

Transitioning directly to Forty Six & 2, I knew we were in for some kind of treat at the end of the set, more on that to come. This is a crowd favorite and I could hear the collective singing along the entire time to this one. The back screen is especially awesome on this song for the visual cues. During Danny's solo the giant sigil array spins and grows and shines so awesomely, it is such a powerful moment leading up to the epic ending. Crowd goes nuts at the end of this one, so much love.

Lateralus started up pretty quickly thereafter... huge highlight of the night for me every time I see them. This time they played straight through which I LOVED since I've only seen it straight through (with no drum-off) one other time. What really made it special though this time was the INCREDIBLE acrobatic/juggling skill of the random guy who showed up during the second verse. You can find some crappy youtube videos of it for reference but WOW, my eyes were just not even sure what I was watching.

The "break down" if you will of Lateralus is always so empowering and being out under the sky for my first time seeing TOOL outdoors, the weather perfect, the crowd loving it, it was magical. The gong hit, the Spiral OUT!, the visuals at the very end when they are just fucking around trying to end the song at the same time... *sigh* always a bitter-sweet moment when it finally does end.

The real treat of this show came next though with Parabola. My ears have never heard such sweet guitar sound. I've always given Adam a lot of credit for the Parabola riff but after hearing it live I don't think I gave it quite enough. His solo'd sections cut through the night like a sonic knife through butter. Maynard gave me total chills with his commitment to the "ALIIIIIIVE" line and the three others did the same through the middle segue. For not performing that song very much, my word, they were ON IT.

Having that kind of energy move through the crowd AFTER Lateralus was also a real treat as I am of course used to Aenema following and closing. Definitely gave thanks for my chance to be alive and breathing at the end of that one.

Aenema came and went in a blink for me. The crowd certainly knows this one as well. The final moments of them being on stage were filled with noise and praise. Justin and Adam met in center stage and shook hands as Danny reappeared from behind his kit and took a bow. He chucked a drum head out like a frisbee which landed a little bit behind me. Seeing him move around while standing... what a tank of a human he is at 50 years old.

As some people have mentioned, impromptu laser dance party post-TOOL show is a MUST going forward. The high spirits of everyone was like natural MDMA and it was super sweet to be able and dance around for a bit as the crowd filtered out.

Overall, this show is testing my assessment of which time has been the best for me because they really brought it in a good way for River's Edge. The whole night was perfect and I will never forget my first (and possibly only) general admission TOOL experience.
7/30/09 - Fairfax
7/10/10 - Seattle
1/24/12 - Toledo
6/23/12 - River's Edge
10/31/15 - Tempe
10/22/16 - Aftershock
6/17/17 - The Gorge

Last edited by jazo; 06-26-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Old 06-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1725

helianthus whorl's Avatar helianthus whorl
07-03-2012, 01:18 PM

starting with the lone white coated being eye saw doing what eye perceived as purifacation of the space.
then tool in true form .
eye looked up during lateralus and the moon was turning red .
we left right after aenema and my wife and i were reflecting on the experience, silently driving through the city as a plague/swarm of mayflies took the downtown saint paul. coinkydink?? nooot forrr meeee!
hail tool ! thanks for the the header on a truly MAGICKAL solstice!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

starting with the lone white coated being eye saw doing what eye perceived as purifacation of the space.
then tool in true form .
eye looked up during lateralus and the moon was turning red .
we left right after aenema and my wife and i were reflecting on the experience, silently driving through the city as a plague/swarm of mayflies took the downtown saint paul. coinkydink?? nooot forrr meeee!
hail tool ! thanks for the the header on a truly MAGICKAL solstice!
Authority
07-18-2012, 06:19 PM

Also if any one finds a solid recording of the show I would love it. Helps for the memory
Old 07-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Also if any one finds a solid recording of the show I would love it. Helps for the memory
hatred in a jar's Avatar hatred in a jar
08-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post

SETLIST
Hooker
Jambi
Stinkfist
Pushit
Schism
46 & 2
Lateralus
Parabola
Aenema
Dude, one joint for a Tool show? Net of being shirt? Next time I see Tool I'm goin on mushies, and last time I saw them (2/1/12) I was drunk, sniffing blow and smoked at least 3 or 4 joints. Plus I was by myself. If you need a hookup in the NY area, hit me up bro. YOU NEED MORE THAN ONE JOINT FOR A TOOL SHOW!!!!! BAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! Still great review man I'm not trying to hate. I especially liked the Puscifer part of the review. Stay tooling my friend, stay tooling.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

SETLIST
Hooker
Jambi
Stinkfist
Pushit
Schism
46 & 2
Lateralus
Parabola
Aenema
Dude, one joint for a Tool show? Net of being shirt? Next time I see Tool I'm goin on mushies, and last time I saw them (2/1/12) I was drunk, sniffing blow and smoked at least 3 or 4 joints. Plus I was by myself. If you need a hookup in the NY area, hit me up bro. YOU NEED MORE THAN ONE JOINT FOR A TOOL SHOW!!!!! BAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! Still great review man I'm not trying to hate. I especially liked the Puscifer part of the review. Stay tooling my friend, stay tooling.
helianthus whorl's Avatar helianthus whorl
08-15-2012, 02:25 AM

"swing on the spiral
of our divinity
and
still be a human"..
.. to me the cube spinner represented that as the symbolic cube of space being twirled by a human figure..
Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

"swing on the spiral
of our divinity
and
still be a human"..
.. to me the cube spinner represented that as the symbolic cube of space being twirled by a human figure..
Fritzie
10-06-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
It was BEAUTIFUL!
Great review, thanks :)
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote: