Schism (extended)
Lost Keys
Rosseta Stoned
Flood (with long ambient intro)
intermission
Lateralus (ext)
Vicarious

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, cool, post it. Everything that is not a show review will be deleted.

Last edited by paraflux; 09-06-2007 at 05:19 AM..
Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
2007/09/05 - Belgrade, Serbia - Pionir Hall

Jambi
Stinkfist (extended)
Forty Six & 2
Schism (extended)
Lost Keys
Rosseta Stoned
intermission
Lateralus (ext)
Vicarious

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, cool, post it. Everything that is not a show review will be deleted.

Last edited by paraflux; 09-06-2007 at 05:19 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Tomica's Avatar Tomica
09-05-2007, 02:57 PM

well, first setlist:

Jambi
Stinkfist (extended)
Forty Six & 2
Schism (extended)
Lost Keys
Rosseta Stoned
intermission
Lateralus (ext)
Vicarious

pure perfection,band was really into it
just got home, really tired now, tomorrow review
Sep 5th `07
--------------------
Old 09-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/09/05 - Belgrade, Serbia - Pionir Hall

well, first setlist:

Jambi
Stinkfist (extended)
Forty Six & 2
Schism (extended)
Lost Keys
Rosseta Stoned
intermission
Lateralus (ext)
Vicarious

pure perfection,band was really into it
just got home, really tired now, tomorrow review
Sep 5th `07
--------------------
OFFLINE |  
vecanoid
09-05-2007, 03:30 PM

First and very best, very very best, short but very very TOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Old 09-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

First and very best, very very best, short but very very TOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
OFFLINE |  
Stefa
09-05-2007, 11:43 PM

I am speachless... Pure perfection... Bend performance, sound, light, crowd... Cant wait to see them next time. Wonder, how come they dont have any show filmed for DVD?!?!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

I am speachless... Pure perfection... Bend performance, sound, light, crowd... Cant wait to see them next time. Wonder, how come they dont have any show filmed for DVD?!?!
OFFLINE |  
Tix
09-06-2007, 12:50 AM

It was a short setlist, we didn't get wings or Aenema, it was too loud for my taste (I blame for this acoustic of the hall), maynard was too low... But, crowd was amazing, singing all the time with maynard, jumping on jambi solo and stinkfist.

Hehe, danny has huge mistake during intro of rosseta stoned when he started to play much earlier and then stop :), very funny. After the song justin did with him "give me five" in supportive way. Maynard wasn't talkactive at all, just "good evening, nice to meet you", and at the end something like "thanks for your support, see you soon". Highlight of the evening was rosseta stoned (belive it or not, that song sound fantastic) and flood.

After all, it was a good show... POZ.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:50 AM   #5
Tix
Level 3 - Talker

It was a short setlist, we didn't get wings or Aenema, it was too loud for my taste (I blame for this acoustic of the hall), maynard was too low... But, crowd was amazing, singing all the time with maynard, jumping on jambi solo and stinkfist.

Hehe, danny has huge mistake during intro of rosseta stoned when he started to play much earlier and then stop :), very funny. After the song justin did with him "give me five" in supportive way. Maynard wasn't talkactive at all, just "good evening, nice to meet you", and at the end something like "thanks for your support, see you soon". Highlight of the evening was rosseta stoned (belive it or not, that song sound fantastic) and flood.

After all, it was a good show... POZ.
OFFLINE |  
s128
09-06-2007, 06:33 AM

it was MEGA ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Old 09-06-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

it was MEGA ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
OFFLINE |  
Tomica's Avatar Tomica
09-06-2007, 07:29 AM

This was my 3rd Tool show and it was simply amazing,second best show among the others I attended but probably the worst thing where organizers,they started letting people inside with just one hour left before the start of the show so most people (including me) listened to Jambi and Stinkfist outside,lots of people got mad at that point and It looked like they were going to start a riot,I was mad also but then again I knew what I was missing,when finally organizers realized that a situation was getting out of hand they just started letting people in.
As for the show itself, I wasn`t disappointed by the setlist,it was kinda obvious but I was hoping that they were gonna insert Wings/10,000 Days.
I got inside as Forty Six & 2 started and they nailed it perfectly,it was just too overwhelming so it was a good start for me,I quickly forgot about the incident outside.
Schism was usually good with again the amazing extended part witch tends to get better and better everytime you listen to it live
Then came Lost Keys and Rosseta Stoned,Lost Keys was kinda weird,not like other versions I heard live but very similar, Danny made a little mistake and started early with Rosseta and than stopped realized that he rushed it and they looked at each other for the moment and Adam came to Danny and gave him a cool riff to start with again,it turned out great after all,Maynards scream in Rosseta was perfect.
Flood came with long ambient intro this song was the highlight for me,just brutal,MJK nailed it perfectly.
Then a little break came,with some weird sounds in background and they came back after a short while with Lateralus
Lateralus was perfect as my friend said during that song “it is pure musical sunrealism” and Danny`s drum solo was something special,it was the klimax of the whole gig.They brought that song to some new level,just perfect.
Then MJK thanked us for our support and kindness and said “see you very soon”,he was in a good mood the whole night,he danced a lot and his voice was perfect so I think the throat infection is gone.
Very much likely we will see perhaps another Europian tour next year,who knows and Vicarious started then
Again he didn`t sing last part of the song as he pointed a mike towards crowd to sing then he just finished it “much better you than I” part.
Anyway as I said,great show but its Tool so it was to be expected,they are a great band after all,only wished that they played one more song,another 10 minutes would be awesome.
Sep 5th `07
--------------------
Old 09-06-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

This was my 3rd Tool show and it was simply amazing,second best show among the others I attended but probably the worst thing where organizers,they started letting people inside with just one hour left before the start of the show so most people (including me) listened to Jambi and Stinkfist outside,lots of people got mad at that point and It looked like they were going to start a riot,I was mad also but then again I knew what I was missing,when finally organizers realized that a situation was getting out of hand they just started letting people in.
As for the show itself, I wasn`t disappointed by the setlist,it was kinda obvious but I was hoping that they were gonna insert Wings/10,000 Days.
I got inside as Forty Six & 2 started and they nailed it perfectly,it was just too overwhelming so it was a good start for me,I quickly forgot about the incident outside.
Schism was usually good with again the amazing extended part witch tends to get better and better everytime you listen to it live
Then came Lost Keys and Rosseta Stoned,Lost Keys was kinda weird,not like other versions I heard live but very similar, Danny made a little mistake and started early with Rosseta and than stopped realized that he rushed it and they looked at each other for the moment and Adam came to Danny and gave him a cool riff to start with again,it turned out great after all,Maynards scream in Rosseta was perfect.
Flood came with long ambient intro this song was the highlight for me,just brutal,MJK nailed it perfectly.
Then a little break came,with some weird sounds in background and they came back after a short while with Lateralus
Lateralus was perfect as my friend said during that song “it is pure musical sunrealism” and Danny`s drum solo was something special,it was the klimax of the whole gig.They brought that song to some new level,just perfect.
Then MJK thanked us for our support and kindness and said “see you very soon”,he was in a good mood the whole night,he danced a lot and his voice was perfect so I think the throat infection is gone.
Very much likely we will see perhaps another Europian tour next year,who knows and Vicarious started then
Again he didn`t sing last part of the song as he pointed a mike towards crowd to sing then he just finished it “much better you than I” part.
Anyway as I said,great show but its Tool so it was to be expected,they are a great band after all,only wished that they played one more song,another 10 minutes would be awesome.
Sep 5th `07
--------------------
OFFLINE |  
Jorram
09-06-2007, 10:17 AM

Contrary to the guys before me, I was pretty disappointed by the show and particularly by the fact that it was impossible to hear a SINGLE sound from Maynard's singing. I don't know if I went wrong by going up almost at the base of the scene or the acoustics just sucked a lot, but whatever the reason, the fact is that by not hearing Maynard you're missing at least 70% of the experience IMO.

Add to the fact the short setlist, the way too aggressive audience (as I think doesn't as much suit a Tool concert, of all) and the mild disappointment by Maynard's lack of interaction with the audience and pretty repetitive postures and dancing, and in the end you get quite a no-no for a first Tool show :/
Old 09-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

Contrary to the guys before me, I was pretty disappointed by the show and particularly by the fact that it was impossible to hear a SINGLE sound from Maynard's singing. I don't know if I went wrong by going up almost at the base of the scene or the acoustics just sucked a lot, but whatever the reason, the fact is that by not hearing Maynard you're missing at least 70% of the experience IMO.

Add to the fact the short setlist, the way too aggressive audience (as I think doesn't as much suit a Tool concert, of all) and the mild disappointment by Maynard's lack of interaction with the audience and pretty repetitive postures and dancing, and in the end you get quite a no-no for a first Tool show :/
09-06-2007, 03:48 PM

It was awesome...unfortunately I came with some people I didn't really like/know except for my two friends who aren't really into tool and just came to see the show...but there were enough people who were to make up for it.

I enjoyed the loudness of the concert,I could feel the bass and drums shaking my insides and the guitar and vocals splitting open my mind,together with the whole visual experience,it was just insanely good...my extreme love for this music might have amplified that too...

People were complaining...they always do...but I heard the vocals just fine,I get that whoever wasn't in the sitting places couldn't...
Though,I'm a bit sorry for not being able to jump along with the crowd,I came just for the music but the atmosphere was too much to just sit around and not go crazy...so I kinda went crazy sitting.

The songs I enjoyed most were Jambi,my fav song from the current album,Stinkfist,my very first Tool song and Lateralus,pure genius.
The experimentals during the instrumentals weren't everyones taste and you could see it in the crowd...I personally would've listened to it closer if it wasn't so damn loud.

I would've hated myself for all eternity if I missed this event.I hope they'll come again :)
All in all,I'm satisfied,though I wish I didn't get so drunk after the concert :) took me all day to recover.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 64

It was awesome...unfortunately I came with some people I didn't really like/know except for my two friends who aren't really into tool and just came to see the show...but there were enough people who were to make up for it.

I enjoyed the loudness of the concert,I could feel the bass and drums shaking my insides and the guitar and vocals splitting open my mind,together with the whole visual experience,it was just insanely good...my extreme love for this music might have amplified that too...

People were complaining...they always do...but I heard the vocals just fine,I get that whoever wasn't in the sitting places couldn't...
Though,I'm a bit sorry for not being able to jump along with the crowd,I came just for the music but the atmosphere was too much to just sit around and not go crazy...so I kinda went crazy sitting.

The songs I enjoyed most were Jambi,my fav song from the current album,Stinkfist,my very first Tool song and Lateralus,pure genius.
The experimentals during the instrumentals weren't everyones taste and you could see it in the crowd...I personally would've listened to it closer if it wasn't so damn loud.

I would've hated myself for all eternity if I missed this event.I hope they'll come again :)
All in all,I'm satisfied,though I wish I didn't get so drunk after the concert :) took me all day to recover.
09-07-2007, 12:03 AM

The setlist above is correct.

Well, I thought I will had so much to say after the concert, but I'm definitely lacking words to describe the show.

Pure perfection. In short.

Truth is that we couldn't hear Maynard, but it's Pionir to be blamed. It's really crappy place regarding sound.

Also, a big minus goes to organizers, who didn't fulfill the deal that the entrances will be opened at 19:15. They were an hour late and that causes that more than a 1000 fans missed the beginning of the show.

But the show...

Geez... From the first minute it was so intense and I thought my heart will explode of excitement.

This was my first show (I hope not the last) and I'm absolutely satisfied. Maybe it was a little too short, but as I said previously, I would be happy just to see them.

They're best. They're biggest.

I didn't have to be in Pionir on Wednesday to know that. :)
Old 09-07-2007, 12:03 AM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

The setlist above is correct.

Well, I thought I will had so much to say after the concert, but I'm definitely lacking words to describe the show.

Pure perfection. In short.

Truth is that we couldn't hear Maynard, but it's Pionir to be blamed. It's really crappy place regarding sound.

Also, a big minus goes to organizers, who didn't fulfill the deal that the entrances will be opened at 19:15. They were an hour late and that causes that more than a 1000 fans missed the beginning of the show.

But the show...

Geez... From the first minute it was so intense and I thought my heart will explode of excitement.

This was my first show (I hope not the last) and I'm absolutely satisfied. Maybe it was a little too short, but as I said previously, I would be happy just to see them.

They're best. They're biggest.

I didn't have to be in Pionir on Wednesday to know that. :)
OFFLINE |  
triad1's Avatar triad1
09-07-2007, 01:10 PM

the show was amazing, a little bit short but very good. they could have played aenema and wings 1 & 2. but this playlist also rocks. highlite was definetly lateralus and 46&2.

spiral out
Old 09-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

the show was amazing, a little bit short but very good. they could have played aenema and wings 1 & 2. but this playlist also rocks. highlite was definetly lateralus and 46&2.

spiral out
OFFLINE |  
niko
09-08-2007, 07:39 AM

1st time on Tool

Unique experience!!
I was so excieted and had a GREAT time!

I now totally understand why some people become obsessed with collecting live bootlegs on internet and saving money for a trip to see Tool live anywhere again. :P

I was in parter. The band was close.

First off organizers. They should of let ppl in at least a half an hour earlier then they did.
And play some music until everyone is in.
I've entered on half of Jambi.
People were killing, pushing, each other on exit, and while entering when the band started playing. The cops and security than stopped with searching ppl and were checking only tickets.
Too bad that a lot of ppl entered with cigarets. I totaly support the band's idea about forbidden smoking.

The show. Was mad. Perfectly played, the visuals were great.
I noticed that the lasers didn't work most of the time. They've started working after the band's timeout.
I think that the hour and a half of the show is just enough, perfect. My legs would fall apart if it was longer. It seems that other people were expecting a few more songs, but.. damn, they really don't understand how a band functions. : )

Too loud. It seemed to me that it was the same loudspeaker system that they've used for Chemical Brothers. It wasn't enough for Belgrade Hall but it was too loud for Pioneer Hall. Maybe i'm mistaken, maybe it's Tool's equipment.
My ears are still ringing and it's been 3 days. I was afraid of getting titinus.
I think they should of used half of the speakers behind the crowd with a bit less volume.
( that way you would have sound everywhere, it would fill the hall but there would be a lot more feedback in the sound and a lot less delay for ppl at the back )
The same mistake was with Chemical Brothers.

The band.
Great, fantastic.
Danny and Justin sounded like thounder or like a machinegun arsenal. :) Danny is just crazy! Love Justin's bass on the new songs!
Adam added a lot on the rhythm and singing. He had the guitar's tuning off for 2 min.s on one song. Actualy i'm not sure, it might of been a Whammy pedals failure because he sounded off tune when he used it.
Those Whammy pedals can get stuck sometimes so they need to be reset and retuned in a special mode. Love when Adam uses palm muting on verses and plays without it on refrain or the main theme.
Maynard. Singing was WOW!
I must say that this is 1001 time that i have a complain on a band's communication with the people. Everyone expected a few more sentences. I don't know how people are in other countries but here they expect a band to be closer with them.
People also expected a bit more moving from Maynard.
I'd say it's okey i can understand that that is their milionth show and that they are on tour for a year and a half.
Ouh, i've almost forgot about Maynard's sound samples with cheering. hahaha
That's a great idea!!
I guess that Maynard isn't a frontman, although he's the one using a mic. Just getting to know the band, although i'm a long time fan.
At one point Justin was drinking beer, Danny seemed excited to be free for a moment and went with a mad solo. : D

I think that they were really professional and did the show perfectly.
I have never seen a better one. The Chemical Brothers were visually really good, almost as Tool but Tool just gives the best show ever! ;)
Just TOO MUCH ENERGY everywhere!
You can't be there and not feeling anything.

Also, i've noticed that the band has a great setup. Each member has his own seperate area with a lot of space. Basically cubicles with a video beam at the back. :) Video beam setup is great and it allows a lot of freedom. You can experiment a lot with it and use moving objects across all beams or use it for rhythm. ( color them in red and white and change colors like with a stroboscope like on NIN's show )

JAMBI is the most interesting song for me right now.
When i entered the hall it all seemed to me as if they were playing in a small club, having a practise. And then i got closer.. :D I was just happy to have a chance and hear them live.
All thanks to the band for the show!

I can't wait to hear them again here as soon as possible!!
I hope that next time they do their own gig as they did now because we can get best of them.
( festival gigs suck for the public and this bend would be crippled by a festival equipment setup )

Last edited by niko; 09-08-2007 at 10:04 AM..
Old 09-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

1st time on Tool

Unique experience!!
I was so excieted and had a GREAT time!

I now totally understand why some people become obsessed with collecting live bootlegs on internet and saving money for a trip to see Tool live anywhere again. :P

I was in parter. The band was close.

First off organizers. They should of let ppl in at least a half an hour earlier then they did.
And play some music until everyone is in.
I've entered on half of Jambi.
People were killing, pushing, each other on exit, and while entering when the band started playing. The cops and security than stopped with searching ppl and were checking only tickets.
Too bad that a lot of ppl entered with cigarets. I totaly support the band's idea about forbidden smoking.

The show. Was mad. Perfectly played, the visuals were great.
I noticed that the lasers didn't work most of the time. They've started working after the band's timeout.
I think that the hour and a half of the show is just enough, perfect. My legs would fall apart if it was longer. It seems that other people were expecting a few more songs, but.. damn, they really don't understand how a band functions. : )

Too loud. It seemed to me that it was the same loudspeaker system that they've used for Chemical Brothers. It wasn't enough for Belgrade Hall but it was too loud for Pioneer Hall. Maybe i'm mistaken, maybe it's Tool's equipment.
My ears are still ringing and it's been 3 days. I was afraid of getting titinus.
I think they should of used half of the speakers behind the crowd with a bit less volume.
( that way you would have sound everywhere, it would fill the hall but there would be a lot more feedback in the sound and a lot less delay for ppl at the back )
The same mistake was with Chemical Brothers.

The band.
Great, fantastic.
Danny and Justin sounded like thounder or like a machinegun arsenal. :) Danny is just crazy! Love Justin's bass on the new songs!
Adam added a lot on the rhythm and singing. He had the guitar's tuning off for 2 min.s on one song. Actualy i'm not sure, it might of been a Whammy pedals failure because he sounded off tune when he used it.
Those Whammy pedals can get stuck sometimes so they need to be reset and retuned in a special mode. Love when Adam uses palm muting on verses and plays without it on refrain or the main theme.
Maynard. Singing was WOW!
I must say that this is 1001 time that i have a complain on a band's communication with the people. Everyone expected a few more sentences. I don't know how people are in other countries but here they expect a band to be closer with them.
People also expected a bit more moving from Maynard.
I'd say it's okey i can understand that that is their milionth show and that they are on tour for a year and a half.
Ouh, i've almost forgot about Maynard's sound samples with cheering. hahaha
That's a great idea!!
I guess that Maynard isn't a frontman, although he's the one using a mic. Just getting to know the band, although i'm a long time fan.
At one point Justin was drinking beer, Danny seemed excited to be free for a moment and went with a mad solo. : D

I think that they were really professional and did the show perfectly.
I have never seen a better one. The Chemical Brothers were visually really good, almost as Tool but Tool just gives the best show ever! ;)
Just TOO MUCH ENERGY everywhere!
You can't be there and not feeling anything.

Also, i've noticed that the band has a great setup. Each member has his own seperate area with a lot of space. Basically cubicles with a video beam at the back. :) Video beam setup is great and it allows a lot of freedom. You can experiment a lot with it and use moving objects across all beams or use it for rhythm. ( color them in red and white and change colors like with a stroboscope like on NIN's show )

JAMBI is the most interesting song for me right now.
When i entered the hall it all seemed to me as if they were playing in a small club, having a practise. And then i got closer.. :D I was just happy to have a chance and hear them live.
All thanks to the band for the show!

I can't wait to hear them again here as soon as possible!!
I hope that next time they do their own gig as they did now because we can get best of them.
( festival gigs suck for the public and this bend would be crippled by a festival equipment setup )

Last edited by niko; 09-08-2007 at 10:04 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Tix
09-10-2007, 04:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zASI3O8EAN4

Prijavljujemo se za predgrupu :)

Last edited by Tix; 09-10-2007 at 04:57 AM..
Old 09-10-2007, 04:54 AM   #13
Tix
Level 3 - Talker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zASI3O8EAN4

Prijavljujemo se za predgrupu :)

Last edited by Tix; 09-10-2007 at 04:57 AM..
OFFLINE |  
triad1's Avatar triad1
09-10-2007, 09:08 AM

man this was an amazing show. i dont know why people are complaining about this concert. the sound was very good, i have heared maynards vocals very good. it was a bit low in jambi during the first 2 minutes but then it was clear. im still rewinding this concert in my head, it was awsome.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

man this was an amazing show. i dont know why people are complaining about this concert. the sound was very good, i have heared maynards vocals very good. it was a bit low in jambi during the first 2 minutes but then it was clear. im still rewinding this concert in my head, it was awsome.
OFFLINE |  
samojed
09-13-2007, 07:20 PM

A quality show. 95 minutes of bliss and inspiration. They were in a far better form last year, but still, this comes as my third best Tool concert and I was quite pleased with it.

The band has their good and bad days, but they never fail to deliver, so the quality of a show usually depends on MJK's performance. Luckily, he was in a good mood in Belgrade and even addressed the crowd three times (Hell, that's a first!), which is way more talkative than his usual self. He said 'good evening' before and after Jambi, and before Vicarious, apart from the usual goodbye, he went on to say a few sentences that he ended with 'peace.' Too bad I didn't understand what exactly he said. He also said 'Hopefully we will see you... soon,' which, unfortunately, is not very likely to happen at all, let alone any time soon.

The vocals were deep in the mix, but I could still hear it well, though I was standing relatively close to the stage. He didn't push himself too much and his performance was surely not what it used to be a few years ago, but he definitely wasn't slacking off either. We got the scream in Flood and all the parts he was supposed to sing, apart from the Vicarious closure when he, as usual, just turned the mic towards the crowd. We still got the "much better you than I" part though:) All in all, the singing was beautiful and I was quite happy with it.

The overall mix was very good from the very start, which was nice to hear. Apart from Adam, for whom you can't really ever tell what he feels like, the band seemed to be in a really good mood and appreciate the crowd, especially Justin, always smiling at people and saying cheers when he got a beer (though he did get pissed off by something at one point at the end of some of the earlier songs). As a result, after Schism, Adam and Justin went into Lost Keys (yesss!), though it wasn't the usual part of the setlist. However, you could tell that they didn't play it in a while, 'cause it didn't go smoothly. Justin occasionally had problems maintaining the feedback, and by the end of it, Danny went into Rosetta a beat too soon. That was a funny sight:) Adam then got closer,
dead calm and serious as always and with and intent look, repeated the riff, and then Rosetta started properly and everyone smiled at this goof:) Definitely a cool moment! I love that song, it works awesome live when played with that intro!

Schism sounded great as well, but a personal highlight for me was definitely Flood! It was awesome seeing that one again! It sounded really fresh, just like Swamp Song last year. The intro was unbelievably heavy and well-rehearsed! Loved that one to bits. I was surprised most of the crowd didn't know the song. That was the most silent moment in the audience during the show and the all the girls screaming when Lateralus kicked in.

Another favourite was a moment during Stinkfist: a girl singing the "show me that you love me" part and then smooching her boyfriend, surely unaware of the anal motif in the song, lol! I also liked the fact that Danny had to change the snare - that's how badly he beat it, haha! He was awesome as always! Him and Justin playing make an awesome sight!

The crowd was excellent! Maybe not in terms of cheering and singing along (and I don't really care about that), but definitely in terms of appreciating the band and music and keeping relatively calm. Everywhere else where I've seen the band, you just can't stand still in front of the stage because of a bunch of dorks trying to mosh and jump around, tripping they're on a metal show or something. In Belgrade, only a couple of people did that and only occasionally, so I could really enjoy the performance from a few meters from the stage without moving around or pushing and struggling to stay on my feet. That was one of the pleasant surprises of the evening for me.

Two things changed from the last European tour that I din't like too much. They didn't bring all the equipment they had, and I think the visuals would have been so much better if the UFO reflectors, white floor and background, and the mirrors for reflections were still there. Also, during intermission by the end of the show, they nowadays retreat offstage, while they used to simply sit on Maynard's podium and rest together in front of the crowd, so that we could all savour and appreciate the moment together. That was so much cooler and spontaneous, natural. A break, yet a part of the show that I always liked. Too bad they didn't do it that way in Belgrade.

Overall, the show was excellent. They can do better, but it was excellent still because it was their best at the moment. I'm really happy I could see Tool in my own country and with my own friends finally, as well as to witness one of their last shows in a long while. Let's just hope it's not gonna be too long.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

A quality show. 95 minutes of bliss and inspiration. They were in a far better form last year, but still, this comes as my third best Tool concert and I was quite pleased with it.

The band has their good and bad days, but they never fail to deliver, so the quality of a show usually depends on MJK's performance. Luckily, he was in a good mood in Belgrade and even addressed the crowd three times (Hell, that's a first!), which is way more talkative than his usual self. He said 'good evening' before and after Jambi, and before Vicarious, apart from the usual goodbye, he went on to say a few sentences that he ended with 'peace.' Too bad I didn't understand what exactly he said. He also said 'Hopefully we will see you... soon,' which, unfortunately, is not very likely to happen at all, let alone any time soon.

The vocals were deep in the mix, but I could still hear it well, though I was standing relatively close to the stage. He didn't push himself too much and his performance was surely not what it used to be a few years ago, but he definitely wasn't slacking off either. We got the scream in Flood and all the parts he was supposed to sing, apart from the Vicarious closure when he, as usual, just turned the mic towards the crowd. We still got the "much better you than I" part though:) All in all, the singing was beautiful and I was quite happy with it.

The overall mix was very good from the very start, which was nice to hear. Apart from Adam, for whom you can't really ever tell what he feels like, the band seemed to be in a really good mood and appreciate the crowd, especially Justin, always smiling at people and saying cheers when he got a beer (though he did get pissed off by something at one point at the end of some of the earlier songs). As a result, after Schism, Adam and Justin went into Lost Keys (yesss!), though it wasn't the usual part of the setlist. However, you could tell that they didn't play it in a while, 'cause it didn't go smoothly. Justin occasionally had problems maintaining the feedback, and by the end of it, Danny went into Rosetta a beat too soon. That was a funny sight:) Adam then got closer,
dead calm and serious as always and with and intent look, repeated the riff, and then Rosetta started properly and everyone smiled at this goof:) Definitely a cool moment! I love that song, it works awesome live when played with that intro!

Schism sounded great as well, but a personal highlight for me was definitely Flood! It was awesome seeing that one again! It sounded really fresh, just like Swamp Song last year. The intro was unbelievably heavy and well-rehearsed! Loved that one to bits. I was surprised most of the crowd didn't know the song. That was the most silent moment in the audience during the show and the all the girls screaming when Lateralus kicked in.

Another favourite was a moment during Stinkfist: a girl singing the "show me that you love me" part and then smooching her boyfriend, surely unaware of the anal motif in the song, lol! I also liked the fact that Danny had to change the snare - that's how badly he beat it, haha! He was awesome as always! Him and Justin playing make an awesome sight!

The crowd was excellent! Maybe not in terms of cheering and singing along (and I don't really care about that), but definitely in terms of appreciating the band and music and keeping relatively calm. Everywhere else where I've seen the band, you just can't stand still in front of the stage because of a bunch of dorks trying to mosh and jump around, tripping they're on a metal show or something. In Belgrade, only a couple of people did that and only occasionally, so I could really enjoy the performance from a few meters from the stage without moving around or pushing and struggling to stay on my feet. That was one of the pleasant surprises of the evening for me.

Two things changed from the last European tour that I din't like too much. They didn't bring all the equipment they had, and I think the visuals would have been so much better if the UFO reflectors, white floor and background, and the mirrors for reflections were still there. Also, during intermission by the end of the show, they nowadays retreat offstage, while they used to simply sit on Maynard's podium and rest together in front of the crowd, so that we could all savour and appreciate the moment together. That was so much cooler and spontaneous, natural. A break, yet a part of the show that I always liked. Too bad they didn't do it that way in Belgrade.

Overall, the show was excellent. They can do better, but it was excellent still because it was their best at the moment. I'm really happy I could see Tool in my own country and with my own friends finally, as well as to witness one of their last shows in a long while. Let's just hope it's not gonna be too long.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply