opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2006
User Name
Password
Old 11-06-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/11/08 - Leuven, BEL - Brabanthal

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 2006/11/08 - Leuven, BEL - Brabanthal

SETLIST
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Maynard didn't say anything except 'hi' at the beginning and at the end 'Thank You for coming. We will see you the day after tomorrow in Brussels, and next summer, after the sex change has taken effect.' He wore an oxygen mask although smoking was forbidden at the venue. Oh well. The lack of interaction bothered me somewhat, and led me to fear that at least Maynard was on autopilot for this one. But in spite of his impersonal attitude, he sang as good as ever. Justin was giving it is all the whole time; grooving, hair flying all over the place, molesting that bass. Danny was excellent as allways, and Adam, well, was Adam. Knowing the setlist in advance was a total bummer, especially when it's been the same for so long, but after I got my head around that, I thouroughly enjoyed the experience. Lots of soundscapes inbetween songs (I swore at one time it almost sounded like Depeche Mode), with the Merkaba-isch lead-in to Sober standing out. The 2006 upgrade of Sober rules all, and Lateralus is a pure classic. Next up: Brussels.

Last edited by toolish; 11-09-2006 at 12:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #3

FYI. Mastodon sucked. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by toolish; 11-09-2006 at 12:08 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Mastodon really DID suck! Mix was awfully bad, and it just didn't sound good. I like their albums aswell, but this wasn't that great band from those albums. Pretty dissapointing.

And then Tool ... I had read on this board that the setlist were the same, AGAIN, and that this wasn't gonna be any longer than the warm-up tour. Which bothered me a lot, and I almost regret buying tickets for both Belgian shows.

BUT, this show was just amazing! The sound-quality was PERFECT (I've seen every band there is to see, in all possible venues in Belgium, and I have never had a clear, well balanced and not too loud - mix ever before in my life!). And that kinda made up for the crappy setlist. That, and the new visuals ofcourse, because they're worth mentioning too.

Anyway, I'm hoping for 10,000 days in Brussels friday ... if not, I'll be pretty dissapointed!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-09-2006, 02:27 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Not much to say ...

Mastodon could use a new sound technician, though it was a little better in the end.
Not the sound I heard in the AB, which was way better ... the crucifix of the opening band I guess.

Because (as Tomadde already explained) Tool's sound was awesome.
Even with Maynard singing through a gas mask.

Same set as in Luxembourg ... which kinda sucked since everyone else on the USA tour has heared Wings For Marie and 10,000 Days.

Let's hope Tool plays both songs friday, seeing they played Belgium 2 days before...
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-09-2006, 03:46 AM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadde View Post
BUT, this show was just amazing! The sound-quality was PERFECT (I've seen every band there is to see, in all possible venues in Belgium, and I have never had a clear, well balanced and not too loud - mix ever before in my life!). And that kinda made up for the crappy setlist. That, and the new visuals ofcourse, because they're worth mentioning too.
I totally agree!!
Even though this was the third Tool concert this year I visited (after Luxemburg and Amsterdam), this was by far the best.

The sound was absolutely perfect from where we were standing (just to the right of the sound technicians), and this combined with an almost flawless set (as usual), the great light show (including lasers ;-) ), the video screens...
It was something like being sucked into the Tool machine for 90 minutes and then being spit out back onto earth when it was finished...

So great concert, one of the best ever in my life, and absolutely worth going!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-09-2006, 04:40 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my third Tool show this year and the sound was absolutely amazing EVERY time. Even at the Pinkpop festival ...

Maybe Friday we should all turn around and give the PA-dude a standing ovation for a job well done :p

@Vince666
Your English is good enough for me dude :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-09-2006, 04:57 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Did anyone else think that the screens were broken, during Stinkfist & The Pot? :-)

It wasn't until 46&2 that I noticed that they were just building up ... one screen per song ... after 4 screens , extra lights ... after those lights , the lasers.

One huge and amazing build-up to the laser-web in Aenima!

Looking forward to Vorst!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-09-2006, 05:55 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Great concert... great sound.

Didn't they play a part of Merkaba between Rosetta Stoned and Sober???

Tonight show in Ahoy @ Rotterdam....
Some say a comet will fall from the sky. Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves. Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still. Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits. Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will cuz I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit, stupid shit...
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manica View Post
First positive opinion, without any bashing ... i'm shocked!
But it shows that there are still people who have trust in Tool, and can some more than only complain.
Thanks.

Yeah well, the way I see it is that it takes a lot of effort, practice, planning and perfectionism to create a show like this one. And just beceause some people go to a lot of concerts, doesn't mean that the band should design their show, setlist etc. to give these people something new each time...
In fact, I think we are just spoiled by the many concerts they have given in the past months! :-P

Let's face it: here is a metal show that is 90 minutes long, almost perfect from the start until the end, everything fits (songs, sound technique, lights, videos, presentation, build up of the show etc.), they give everything they have, several nights per week, for months... That is just amazing.

And sure, I admit, I hoped too that this time they would play some different songs (e.g. from Opiate or more from Undertow than just Sober), or just plainly móre songs. But they didn't, and I wasn't the slightest bit disappointed... and that's a great achievement in itself!

Last edited by Draak; 11-09-2006 at 07:30 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-09-2006, 08:47 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

I agree with the comments made above (apart from the lame remark about spelling), but can't help being disappointed; It was a great show, wonderfull iights and visuals, but why oh why didn't they play Wings?
I can understand it takes a lot of work to put together a show like this, but they did play Wings in the US, so the visual and lighting programs should be ready available.

I paid another 40 euros to see almost the same show I did in Luxembourg and I expect to see the same in Brussels tomorrow. If I had known the shows would have the same set list, I might have put that money to better use. The lasers and better lightning added to the experience, but I will think twice before buying tickets for the summer shows.

Call me a whining bastard if you like (and someone probably will) but after paying this much money, I am entitled to an opinion. The ticket price is a day's wage for some people.

I just hoped to hear Wings, which is not an outrageous expectation because they played it in the US and it is the masterpiece from their most recent album. On the bright side: Lateralus was impressive as always and I 'got' Rosetta Stoned for the first time. It worked great with the new visuals, so it wasn't all bad.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegeit View Post
I agree with the comments made above (apart from the lame remark about spelling), but can't help being disappointed; It was a great show, wonderfull iights and visuals, but why oh why didn't they play Wings?
I can understand it takes a lot of work to put together a show like this, but they did play Wings in the US, so the visual and lighting programs should be ready available.

I paid another 40 euros to see almost the same show I did in Luxembourg and I expect to see the same in Brussels tomorrow. If I had known the shows would have the same set list, I might have put that money to better use. The lasers and better lightning added to the experience, but I will think twice before buying tickets for the summer shows.

Call me a whining bastard if you like (and someone probably will) but after paying this much money, I am entitled to an opinion. The ticket price is a day's wage for some people.
I completely feel the same: also went to Luxemburg, Werchter and Leuven, will go to Brussels tomorrow. A change of songs would do he band good. Although the show was killer, I couldn't help but wondering what these songs still mean to them after having played them the whole year in every concert. James Hetfield once said that the words just become sounds. I would hate to think that this is the case when Maynard belts out Stinkfist for the umpteenth time. And don't get me wrong: I love that song to death. In 2001-2, they changed the setlist quite a lot; I just don't get why they are not concidering that this time around. No disrespect, though...

Last edited by toolish; 11-09-2006 at 12:33 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-10-2006, 03:43 AM   #13

By the way: the press was drooling all over this concert today. They all ate it up.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-10-2006, 04:25 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

I enjoyed every minute of it.
Mastodon wasn't that great but who cares for them if Tool comes next.
As expected no surprises in the setlist but every song sounded clear and powerful.
Those 90 minutes were gone way to fast.
Defenitely a concert to remember and this evening we're going to Vorst for some more Tool stuff.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-11-2006, 08:10 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Wasn't me who spelled them wrong. And I didn't even saw it was the band name that was spelled wrong (i thought is was some english word he wrote wrong), so apologies from my side too. :-)

And they did suck, by the way. I love their albums, and I've seen 'em on a festival last year, where they kicked major ass.

They just don't belong in big venues, as a support act (as you might know, a lot of bands "demand" that the support act plays with less sound quality then themselves, to make them look and sound better). I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here, because Mastodon's sound REALLY was awfull.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadde View Post
They just don't belong in big venues, as a support act (as you might know, a lot of bands "demand" that the support act plays with less sound quality then themselves, to make them look and sound better). I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here, because Mastodon's sound REALLY was awfull.
Tool have never "demanded" that their support acts play with a lesser sound quality.
In almost all cases for at least the past 10 years (or longer) the support acts have been friends of the band, or at the very least friends of a friend.
The engineer for the support band is given his own console and main EQ. Tool's main EQ is then bypassed so the support engineer can have a clean shot at what he want's it to sound like.
Sometimes (often at the beginning of a tour) the support act might not get a sound check if the day is running behind. In the case of Leuven, the rigging took a long time that day (it was all done with bucket trucks), and Tool only did a song or 2 themselves. Mastodon only had enough time to get set up and maybe run through part of a song.
It's unfortunate, but it happens.
Sometimes it is just a case of the engineer not being familiar with larger rooms and not yet knowing how to win the battle. Clubs and arenas are very different animals. Outdoor festivals can have their own weirdness (wind is brutal to high frequencies), but in many cases an engineer who is used to clubs might have an easier time at a festival than an arena because he doesn't have to fight the cavernous echos of a large room. The outdoors is much more forgiving.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Well, I wouldn't expect such things from Tool either, but it was the only thing I could think of. You would expect if a band like Mastodon is given the chance to open for Tool, they would invest in a decent mixer ... I mean, like they're doing now, they're losing more fans than winning new ones.

What you said about the desks is in fact correct. I was sitting just next to the desk, and there was a seperate table for Mastodon.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: