opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 06-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/08/25 - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Opiate
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-25-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 13
Re: 2006/08/25 - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place

so bloody good. it blew my mind how crazy it was.

maynardism: i wanna tell you a story... but i'm not sure which to tell. oh wait, here's one. how do you get a dog to stop humping your leg? you ick him up and suck his dick. i'm not even joking.

it was much more than i expected for the second time i saw tool. the white stage was so intense with the projections. i couldn't even believe how much everyone put into the show. Danny was so amazing... hell, everyone was. best concert i've been to in a long time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Great show, made even better by the fact that I only discovered I'd be able to go two days ago, and great tickets were still available.

I'm in Edmonton on business, and was supposed to fly back to Ontario three days ago. Thanks to endless problems, my trip got extended and just for the heck of it I checked for tickets--and got one!

Great sound from where I was; vocals were muddy for a few seconds at the start but that was fixed quickly.

The stage presentation was great, very intense and actually highlighted the band better than the last two times I've seen them.

Haven't bothered to look at the setlists and reviews for other shows, so I don't know if it's typical or not--but they played 'The Pot' and 'Opiate' tonight. Didn't get 'Pot' at the Hummingbird in May, so that was a treat--and 'Opiate' was a great surprise!

Great evening all around, topped off by my quick exit from the parking lot--I think I must've found my way into the staff lot, right beside the LRT station. Followed a cab out and beat all the crowds!

Next stop, Molson Amphitheatre next month. Yahoo!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

fuckin amazing show, im a little drunk right now and i was even more drunk when i was watching the concert but here is a tentative setlist from what i remember.

1. stinkfist
2. jambi
3. 46 & 2
4. the pot
5. schism
6. lost keys
7. rosetta stoned
8. opiate
9. sober
10. lateralus
11. vicarious
12. aenima

can't remember anymore right now but i know they played all those songs. the order might not be correct (it is close though) but damn it was a kick ass concert.

p.s. maynard was dressed up in a cowboy hat and jeans with no shirt.

Last edited by The Corinthian; 08-25-2006 at 11:31 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-25-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
TBL
Level 4 - Thinker

Setlist was:

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Opiate
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

At least thats what I think it was. Basically the same setlist as the other two shows except Opiate in place of Right in Two. Right after Sober, Danny's hi-hat broke so instead of the "sit on maynards stage for a break", Maynard talked for a while. Told the dog story above, apoligised for the american president and so on. While they were fixing the hi-hat Adam, Justin and Maynard jammed. Maynard and Adam with synths and Justin on the bass. Was pretty groovy. Then they went in to Lateralus.

Maynardism: Before they played Opiate he said something to the effect of, "we got this new thing called a time machine, want to jump in there with us?" It's not an exact quote but something like that.

Overall I thought it was a great show, but it was too damn loud for me. It effected the sound quality in that you couldn't hear the seperate instruments that well unless it was a quiet part. Just felt like a wall of sound.

Isis were awesome, but short. Only played four songs:
So Did We
Dulcinea (the new song)
Backlit (I think, I know it was a song off of Panopticon for sure)
I'm not sure of the fourth song, might have been off of an earlier album or a new one. Only Isis album I know is Panopticon.

Even with two extra instruments in the mix, Isis didn't suffer from the wave of sound that tool did. Isis must be at a lower volume, but I don't feel it hurts their performance at all. They really got in to the music and had good stage presence. Very good musicians also. Every song was dead on. I hope they hit it big so I can watch a longer set one day.

Last edited by TBL; 08-25-2006 at 11:40 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-26-2006, 08:08 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Second show in two days for me. I had better seats this time so the sound was way better. The ultimate Maynardism of the night.....
MJK- " Hello Edmonton."
Crowd- (screams uncontrollably)
MJK- "Hmm, Calgary said the same thing"
Crowd- (thundering boos erupt for everywhere)
MJK- "What? Did we f**k your girlfriend?"

LOL, awesome. I think i enjoyed this show alot more than the Calgary one, which brought a thought to mind...Tool is alot like hockey players...they seem to play better in Edmonton :P
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

He actually said:

Hello Edmonton,
Calgary said to say hello
(Crowd BOOOOOO!!!!!)
What? Did they fuck your girlfriend?

The best was the dog sucking line, Brilliant!!

An amazing show, I personally liked Calgary better the only thing that was beter in Edmonton was Opiate!!

I would have liked to get rid of Rosetta Stoned, Vicarious, and Schism and hear No Quarter, Ticks and Leeches, Hush, Eulogy!!
We needed more old shit, but all in all great. Maynard said they'll be back in the new year. Hopefully with alot of older material.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
TBL
Level 4 - Thinker

He did say they would be back in the new year, but only to invade our country for oil, or something like that. I hope they do come back with a changed up setlist.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-26-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5

great fukin show, my fourth time seeing them and hopefully more to come

Last edited by crispy; 08-26-2006 at 05:37 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-27-2006, 10:08 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my second Tool show.. my first being the 2002 show in Calgary.

All I have to say is... WOW. This show was absolutely incredible. As mentioned, the levels were dead on (once tweaked) and remained spot on throughout the entire show. At certain points, when there was a lot of bass, it was like the entire building was vibrating. There was a couple times when Adam's higher pitched guitar solo's rang a little too loudly for my ears (during the climax in Lateralus, as well as I believe Jambi), but they were few and far between. Overall, the sound was very excellent.

The stage was especially memorable, as the entire thing was a video screen. Not a projection screen -- the images seemed to come from within. The background seemed to be about 6-7' in height (no more than a foot or two above where Maynard stood), whereas the largest part of the screen/stage was the actual 'floor' part where the band stood. The band stood in their usual formation, with Adam and Justin on the left/right, Maynard and Danny on their platforms in the left/right centre.

Starting out with Stinkfist, the screen displayed a myriad of psychedelic greens, blues, yellows, and reds -- but only one color at a time, and to the beat of the music. As the evening moved on, certain songs would display scenes from the music video, whereas others would have various psychedelic patterns/scenes.

From the beginning of the show, there seemed to be these three, criss-crossing 'chrismas light'-like structures in the background, behind the stage. Up to Rosetta Stoned (or possibly, Lateralus), these remained mostly white, and relatively uninteresting (compared to the rest of the stage). During the course of this song, they started raising up in height, revealing the rest of the structures, each of which appeared to be roughly the shape of a face, similar to some of Alex Grey's Lateralus work. At this point, the light started changing colors, and morphed in psychedelic color in sync with the rest of the stage. For instance, a wave of bright psychedelic green would wash up over the stage, the background, and then finally up to the tip of the lights. The visual effect was absolutely amazing.

The music was, of course, sensational. Every beat seemed dead on, every riff bursting with even more energy than on the album. At certain points, I even laughed out loud slightly at the sheer pleasure of witnessing such musical/emotional bliss.

The version of Schism that they played was an extended one that I'd never heard before. I haven't heard any bootlegs from this tour, but I would imagine it's their 'standard' extended version now, similar to the extended version of Stinkfist that they've been playing live for the last few years (and also played this time around). The extension in Schism starts before the quiet guitar solo... instead of going directly into the quiet guitar part, some heavy distortion and really crazy drums build up over the course of about 30-60 seconds, finally climaxing with a torrent of noise, and in an instant, subsiding to go into the standard quiet guitar part solo. It really impressed me and the rest of the crowd, and a large cheer erupted from the crowd when they had finished the 'extended' part and went into the quiet solo.

Another fantastic moment was the ending of Forty Six & 2. If you've been to a recent (aka: since 2002, possibly 2001) Tool show, or heard a bootleg, you know what I mean. I was impressed when I heard it in 2002, and even more impressed this time around, as they slowed it down even more. Instead of playing the very heavy ending at a faster beat like they do on the album, they slow it down considerably and make it much, much heavier. The energy is absolutely incredible... once they get to the final 8 bars, it really feels like they're driving the point home... and when the song is finally over, one can almost sense the feeling of elation in the crowd.... as one person put it, 'they rocked that shit HARD'. ;)

Also, gotta love Maynard's style of dancing... during Rosetta Stoned, at the 'Strapped down.. my bed... feet cold... eyes red' part, Maynard was crouched down, holding the microphone close to his body, and taking deliberate steps on each syllable, similar to the stop-motion technique used in their music videos.

As mentioned above, he was dressed in a cowboy hat and jeans, with no shirt. He was having fun with the cowboy hat too, at a couple points holding it in his hand and swinging it above his head, like one would do with a lasso.

Some Maynardism's:
"We're armed, and we're here to take your oil."
"We are here to apologize to your country, again, for our President, George W. Bush. Sorry."
"My suggestion is to buy our country while your dollar is strong. It's the only solution."

At the end of the show, the four members stood at the centre of the stage and absorbed the energy from the crowd... constant cheering/clapping went on for about 1-2 minutes until finally, the band walked off the stage and the night was over.

I really enjoyed myself at this show, and I can't wait for the chance to see Tool live again, for the Third time. :)

Last edited by Dteyn; 08-27-2006 at 10:11 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 10:51 AM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

OK, let me just put my thoughts here...

Been a Tool fan for 10 years now. Saw them once in 2002, also here in Edmonton, so this was my 2nd Tool show.

The sound was horrible from where I was sitting (way up in section 337). I brought earplugs just in case, like I always do for any show I go to... Well, it started out and it wasn't very loud so I didn't think I needed them, but the sound was so muddled, that I put them in, but it didn't really help. I took them out again, but then at one point I realized if I plug my ears really really tight, I can hear everything better (and this wasn't until Rosetta Stoned). So I put my earplugs in really tight, and everything sounded pretty good... good, but not great. The sound was now clear, but not nearly loud enough to move me, you know? So... enough complaining about the sound. Next time I'll pay the price for better seats, or go somewhere where they're playing a venue with better acoustics (this is a hockey arena, fyi).

The visuals were cool. People have already talked about the screen stage thing. It had a great effect. The lasers moving to the drums during Lateralus was really neat.

It was REALLY nice to finally hear 46&2 and Opiate live. Though, looking at the other setlists, I feel bad that I missed Right In Two. But how can I complain when I did get Opiate? I don't know. I won't complain. Opiate was so good :)

I hadn't looked at any setlists from this leg of the tour so as not to spoil any surprise. Good thing, I think. Last time around I had been looking at all of them, so I knew exactly what I'd hear before hearing it - not as interesting.

Jambi and Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned were ESPECIALLY good live (from what I could tell).

The performance itself was perfect. Even better than perfect. But I just wish the sound was better. Too bad I didn't get in on the small theatre tour in May - I think it would have been a much better experience.

Did I say anything anyone else hasn't? I don't know. I just felt like writing about it, since I was there afterall, and I've been visiting this site for 10 years too. It's not every day you get to post a concert review on tdn!!!

I'd love to hear some good quality live recordings from this tour.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 03:34 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

I was amazed with the show overall. The band was really tight, regardless of the sound screw up at the beginning during stinkfist, which was resolved quickly anyways. I think that the biggest highlight of my night was watching Danny whale on his drums (amazing!). And Maynard, Wow, I think it’s safe to say he’s a living God. I must admit however, I am a bit disappointed with the fact that Right in Two was absent from the setlist. I was hoping for the same setlist as the one played in Calgary and Vancouver. I think that not only does Right in Two echo Maynard’s lyrical genius, but it also showcases some of his best vocals. Nevertheless, this means little more to me than that I will have to find a way to see them again soon.

Does anyone think they'll be back after the Australian dates?
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: