opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/30 - Englewood, CO - Coors Amphitheater

lame. RIP tool. good bye. you will be missed. if i could i would wish it all away. vicariously i died inside, watching the worst display of irony, while drunk sick scuzzy slimeballs jumped around like monkeys, barking and molesting each other to the rhythm of tools most popular radio singles. "make-a-buck" seemed to be the theme of this years tour, using recycled visuals on loop, with pathetic lasers and a smoke machine at an out door venue, and locking the entire audience in with the merchandise and booze venders for an hour. at 9$ a beer i am surprised the entire audience was able to be as shit faced and falling over as it was, hopefully not remembering that the sound sucked and they would have been better off buying a $70 new pair of headphones, and just drowning themselves. i never thought i would feel dead, empty, hollow and completely hopeless after seeing tool, but you guys never fail to surprise....

if you are still not following me:
you know that feeling you get after you sleep with someone you really didn't want to sleep with, but you did because you really needed to get laid... that i feel completely gross used feeling... that's what this show did to me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

Ah, Fiddler's Green...I was excited to see Tool in the venue only because I have a great memory of seeing them in 1993 on the side stage at Lollapalooza. I have never really liked this venue otherwise...mainly because its location in the middle of suburbia requires the sound and time constraints.

We came in through the courtyard easily; security seemed light to me since I didn't even get patted down. But then...the horror....I have never had to stand outside of seating. We were seriously wondering if some sort of fire code was being violated. 7:30...holy sht...30 minutes to show we were let in. Again easy because we were standing by the VIP area. When we finally got to our seats in sec 205, we were pleased. Which brings me to the fact that I wish coorporations would just stay the fck out of music. The side screens showed Coors ads the entire time before ISIS. BUY MORE BEER. Funny that when we went to buy more beer after ISIS played that many of the kegs were empty.

The show...damn I love the Tool experience. And being slightly higher in the venue was definitely worth seeing the awesome visuals projected on the flooring. Vocal sound was in and out for brief moments but not enough to bother me. Maynard was on and Danny's solos...yum...

Since I am "old" (32), I have to let go of my issues with the crowd. I can't understand people on their cell phones for half of the show saying how awesome it is...if it is really that awesome...you should not even be thinking about your phone or who you need to call to rub in that you are there. Fck that. We also had a kid behind us puke towards the end of Sober, which was gross...but rather ironic and funny. Never will understand that. Why see a show if you won't remember it? Regardless, I was in my zone and loving Tool.

Again the show itself was great. I have also seen Tool in Colorado at the Pepsi Center, the World Arena in Co. Springs, and beloved Red Rocks. I will see them when ever I can. I can't wait for next time...and while I know the tunes are slower...I would kill to hear Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days...I think it would be powerful to hear Maynard sing them live.

Until next time...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Last night was my 4th tool show and the first with the new material. I have been lurking on this site for about 5 years, as I seem to not be able to go a week without a little Tool in my life, yet have never posted comments. I could begin with the standard bitching about the how horrible that sound was; or the obligatory guy screaming every lyric behind me; or even the token teenage guy in front of me that did a hippy dance back and forth partially blocking my view of Maynard's gyrations on every other down beat. But that is not the focal point of the Tool live performance. And as I see on the above reviews, these have already been discussed (as well as mentioned at all the other shows in this review section). We all know that we pay the $60 bucks, drive through rush hour traffic, stand in long lines, buy $9.50 beers because we crave the experience of a live show from our favorite band of today. A band that has something to say musically and visually. We also go to have healthy communicate with other fans that have the same desires to experience the moments of the songs we love played live (it was really nice meeting you Jeff and Brittany, see you around our smelly little cow town).

Now about the show. We were there early enough to see Isis, and they were actually not bad. Other than the singing/screaming, they were much better than Meshuggah or Tomahawk from the last tour. I thought Tool was very tight. The beginning of The Pot was a bit shaky, but it kicked in and finished as strong as I could have hoped. The jam in Stickfist and the drums in Schism were better than previously described on this site. They are both worth the price of admission. Lateralus was of course the highlighted song for me. Since the rotating Maynard platform from a few years ago, it has been a favorite of mine. And seeing them recreate Faaid De Oaip (which was missed on the setlist again) was an amazing Eargasm. The screens on the floor and on the side of the stage generated quite an enhanced visual effect to accompany the music. I remember a jam during one song where the screens had green squiggly lines thoroughout, and the lights shining down with a purple glow that really got my blood moving.

Overall the experience was great, the people were alive with energy. And to those who complain rather than enjoy, at least the guy singing behind me knew every thought provoking word and between songs was turning to him buddy saying things like "can you imagine anything better?", at least the guy in front of me can have the groove of the music flow through him with his girlfriend next to him with the same feelings, and the sound always sucks at Fiddlers/"Beer" Amphitheater…but you know that going in. The venue sucks, but the show was great. Can't wait to see them again in 2007 and any time they come to Colorado.

"Good……..night………Peace……..the fuck out"
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 4th Tool Show (not including any APC shows).

Let me say first that TOOL has been my favorite band since '93. (I listen to TOOL about 80 hours a week! The last time I saw TOOL, the peak moment for me was Triad with Meshuggah the night my grandfather passed at 93. Lateralus really got me through that time.) Since '93, I have had 3 kids, and all of them love to sing and listen to TOOL.

However, I have to say this was not a great show. Good set list, but I would have liked to have heard Wings 1 or 2 and Right in Two. The CG animations didn't synch with the music as in previous concerts and were projected on side screens instead of above the band. The band played on a completely lighted stage which I imagine cost a lot, but didn't have the appeal I remember from before. I miss the bass drum with the dodecahecron.

Don't get me wrong...This was a good show, but I expected more from Tool. Also, I am concerned that after the show, Maynard didn't join in the group hug. Has Maynard truely been born again?

I still can't wait to see them again...maybe once more this year and then another 5 year wait for the next album.

...I'm withering away.
Shine down upon the many light our way benevolent sun.
-SM
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

I was up in the GA Lawn section and this is the first Tool show I have ever seen, and I had mixed feelings about the show. Let me start by saying that everyone thats saying that Tool played with a lot of energy is right. Danny, Justin, and Adam all played perfectly and sounded great.

The only problem lay in the lame Coors Ampitheatre soundsystem, which kept distorting Maynard's voice. When the sound system was working, which was maybe half to a third of the time, Maynard sounded great too. The other half to two thirds....was, well, distorted.

The crowd was by in large quite good for a Tool show. I saw tons of people going crazy and thrashing about -by themselves- which was cool. And everyone that was crowded together was just chilling or pumping an arm or headbanging and listening. I thought it was a great crowd, and the stage, animations, and lighting were impressive.

Overall, it was very impressive, although frustrating at the prospect of how much better the experience would have been if the sound system worked.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #46
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie67 View Post
Oh yeah, I had no problem with all you Colorado HIPPIES, no one seemed to not enjoy my smoke.
You didn't happen to be near the middle of row T did you?

Section 203 peeps rock on. We were probably the most productive fans there. Got kinda tired of the concert narrator behind me who kept exclaiming how we were watching Tool and that we should be excited. I kinda liked his "YEAH MAYNARD!" and my gf turned around to which he exclaimed "That's the singer's name if you didn't know."

Great concert. Kinda getting tired of the setlist and bummed that we didn't get any Patient this second time around the globe but was made up for with Opiate and the promise to return in the new year. But hey, I haven't seen a better concert this year (except for the Buell) and I definately got my $65 worth even though I missed the opening band due to the ineptitude of Fiddler's Green. Wish they'd return to red rocks.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

1st Tool show. It was amazing. Sec 103. As for all you that bitch, listen..., it's outdoors, it's LIVE with no recordings etc etc blah blah. Do you realize that you witnessed a band that rarely performs once in 5 yrs??!!! THE SHOW WAS GREAT!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 10:14 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

All right people, everybody gets it. The venue sucked, the price of beer sucked, waiting to get in sucked, the decibel limit sucked, the meathead moshers sucked. Did I forget anything?

Seriously, how did any of you watch the show with all the time you spent looking for things to complain about?

This was my 8th show and I have seen every incarnation of Tool live. The setlist rocked, the visuals rocked and the energy rocked.

To any of you who didn't see Tool pre-Lateralus I truly feel sorry for you. I first saw Tool in 94 or 95 (can't remember which) in TJ, Mexico. Back then pits were the norm at a Tool show and they were a blast!! Those early Tool shows were very intimate. I saw them twice at a place called Soma in San Diego and you were literally 5 feet away from Maynard. When he sang you would swear he was staring right into your eyes. They use to blow the roof off that place. The last Tool show I saw before Lateralus came out was At Coachella in Indio, Ca. They had the people hanging from the top of the stage doing their contortion stuff and the show absolutely rocked!!

Then I saw Tool on Halloween 2001 and I thought my world ended. The setlist was horrible and Maynard seemed like he would rather be anywhere in the world but there. I walked away from that show thinking it would be the last time I would see them. Well 5 years later I decided to give them a shot again and boy they didn't disappoint!!

It was a very personal couple of hours for me. It was very easy to tune out all of my surroundings and enjoy a great performance by one of the greatest bands of our generation. I am 32 and my moshing days are far behind me but don't be so hard on the younger dudes there. I was one of them once and I don't think my Tool experience suffered at all just because I was walking around in a circle pushing people and getting pushed.

Here is a little advice for some of you next time you go to a Tool show: Loosen up & have some fucking fun!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm still glad I got to see TOOL again, but there were so many distractions: 1.) The sound was not loud enough to carry out to the higher lawns. 2.) The wind washed out the sound. 3.) The amount of low-end in the mix was a problem all night and made things very unclear and muddy for both bands. Coors Ampitheater should consider turning down the bass frequencies so that all frequencies come through equally. Then they wouldn't have to worry about exceeding the decibel limit. 4.)Idiot people around me not only liked to sing along out of tune and out of tempo, but they also liked to cheer like the Irish would at a rugby match every time TOOL paused between sections of a song. The whole ordeal was like trying to have an intelligent conversation at a noisy bar. About the only break I could get was Rosetta Stoned, which, of course, all those idiots didn't recognize and therefore couldn't sing to - although, I don't know of many people who sing along with that one. It was still worth the money to go see this band, and ISIS was great too, but just hard to hear. I would recommend anyone who likes music to go see TOOL and ISIS, but then again, it seems most of the people who show up like partying more than music.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 11:07 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

This band even shines through the most lame of venues such as the Coors.
The version of Schism they played with a sped up, heavily percussive bridge was GREAT, never liked that song as much as I did tonight.
Maynardism: "I can't resist, BAaaaaa." (holds mic towards crowd which repeats) he says again "Basaaaaa." (holds mic to crowd who repeats) Right before Opiate...seemed appropriate.
The return of the long version of Stinkfist.... it was like recognizing an old friend. I felt proud in the TDN shirt yelling chickenweasel. Also NOTHING makes me feel more warm and squishy as thousands of kidds yelling "I'll ...Keep...Digging...," when the band is playing a completely new passage in it's place.
All and all great show and they promised scouts honor that they would be back after the first of the year.
Love it love it love it.
-Eric
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #51
Banned.

Bincount™: 38

I rode the Greyhound bus from Colorado Springs up to Englewood by myself just to see the concert. I was all alone and about a mile away from the stage, never once(until they all sat in the middle) did I see Danny Carey, and I could hardly see Maynard. The performance, or sound, of the concert sounded excactly like if I were listening to the cd. Which isn't really a good thing...And they didn't play any songs besides Opiate and Sober and Jambi, that I wanted to hear. Then after the concert I got stranded downtown for 5 hours. Kinda sucked. Eh.

Also some stupid drunk chick was dancing like a retard the whole time right in front of me. It pissed me off. Not for any reason other than I was in a bad mood, and she knew like 3 words to each song.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2006, 03:41 PM   #52
Level 2 - Poster

I was in the upper lawn area and could only see little figures moving about on stage... what were they tossing out to the audience near the end of the show?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:38 AM   #53
Level 1 - Lurker

Fourth Tool show, not the worst (Salt Lake City, Summer 2002), but certainly not the best (Red Rocks August 01).

Since I've seen Tool before and didn't expect them to top the Red Rocks show five years ago this time (the venue at least would've been a really tough obstacle to overcome), I was mainly going to see Isis (who have more or less usurped the position Tool held in my musical hierarchy back in high school). Here's their setlist:

1.) "So Did We"
2.) "Dulcinea"
3.) "Backlit"
4.) New song from In The Absence of Truth

Although brief and (I think) identical to the sets they're playing every night on the show, Isis' set was worthwhile. Unfortunately, their sound was pretty crappy through most of "So Did We", and I had to spend most of the remainder of the half-hour set looking for a friend who showed up late to the show, but still, a good set. The crowd was more receptive to them than I expected, but from where I was at (West side of the lawn), most people just seemed bored with them. Disinterest is better than angry boos, though.

On to Tool's show. I'll break it down into basic pros and cons:

Pros:

- extended/modified versions of "Stinkfist", "Opiate" and "Schism"
- some of the videos are new
- the blank stage/set and the increased use of projections on it
- Adam's solos in "Jambi" and "Lateralus"
- played all my favorite songs from 10,000 Days
- first time hearing "Opiate" live
- closing with "Ænema"
- Justin tearing up the bass, always my favorite one to watch

Cons:

- Maynard leaving out the scream in "Rosetta Stoned"
- The Setlist That Wouldn't Die
- the sound (wind, venue and amp clipping all spell pretty low-quality sound)
- laser show and smoke screens (this is some serious Genesis shit, not impressed)
- encore break on stage (why?)
- Rick Wakeman-style keyboard hogwash in between songs

Overall, I didn't think it was a bad show, but it was a fairly forgettable one. Some of my friends who went to the show were heartbroken about the state of affairs the band has fallen into since the Lateralus tours, and while I can't say I'm that distraught over it, I can see their point. The over-the-top special effects, extended song lengths, and unncessary keyboard jams are turning Tool into the equivolent of a heavy metal Yes or Pink Floyd, which makes for a boring live show. Bitching about the fans (or fellow attendees in general) is pointless; for me, the band is responsible for the direction they're headed, and while I can't say I'm all for it, who cares? I don't feel betrayed or like the band is selling out...they'll play what they want, and if you don't like it, don't go again. Move on. Let someone who will enjoy themselves get your seat at the next show.

By now everybody has made the point that the setlist could use the occasional tune-up and I think that this would make the biggest difference in taking a show like this from mediocre to stellar. There are a handful of Tool songs ("H.", "Third Eye", "Flood") that I haven't gotten to see live, and can now safely assume that I never will. Imagine hearing "Pushit" or "Swamp Song" unexpectedly put into a set on one of the upcoming shows! That would be enough to convince me that it's worth the price to see Tool alive again; whether they played those songs or not, the spontaneity would do wonders to make the show unique and memorable. Just a thought.

In short, with a little change in songs and surroundings, this could've been a great show. As it was, we were stuck at Coors listening to the same setlist everyone else has heard so far this tour. But it doesn't mean it was a bad show. This is no 'silver lining' take on things, because there was plenty good and plenty bad at this show. I guess a lot of us just take it hard because you expect so much of a band, especially when you've earned the bragging rights for seeing them for the umpeenth time live ever since 199-nobody-gives-a-shit, and it's easy to get let down. But at the end of the night, I still managed to have a hell of a time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-03-2006, 09:08 AM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

I waved idiotically at Maynard (as if he'd be looking at me...?) I was right in front of Adam against the rail. I was on a trip, man. Great way to see Tool. The visuals for Rosetta Stoned were fucking insane. Was that Dave walking down the highway? I am always impressed with the way they present Lateralus. Those green lasers were awesome. Isis did a great job too. I couldn't get over how awesome their background banner was. I absolutely loved the way they used lights to make certain parts of the thing pop. It was all moving, fucking great. I still have to say that I liked being at the Temple Buell Theatre though, just cuz it was more imtimate and Maynard spoke to us more. I hope to see them again soon. Peace.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #55
Level 3 - Talker

Location: Sitting on top of a lonely mountain in the middle of a frozen desert, dreaming of a beach.
Bincount™: 1

I dragged a few newbies to the show with me their response afterwards was:

"Im speechless" and
"I never knew."

Fucking classic.

The Set List:

Stinkfist - Extended version was good. Crowd kept singing during it. I love how they loop the intro back in right before "I'll keep digging ...".

The Pot - The previously mentioned sound quality could have affected this but the beginning seemed thin to me. It definitely picked up though. Most people knew and cheered this one cause of it's recent heavy radio play.

Forty Six & 2 - Everyone was screaming the chorus but got kinda lost for most of the other lyrics. I always love seeing this song live. "I choose to live and to lie, kill and give and to die, learn and love and to do what it takes to step through." Badass.

*Random Lawn seat moment* When the crowd noise had lulled for a second, some guy yelled out ver clearly: “Tool is too intense for you people.” Cracked me up.

Jambi - I really enjoyed the visuals and the song live. Love that heavy opening riff.

Schism – Wow, that was just awesome. The visuals onstage were phenomenal when the screens all showed flames and the band was silhouetted against it. When Maynard finished with “I know the pieces fit”, I thought “You certainly do.”

Rosetta Stoned – I totally agree with everyone who said it before me … this song kicks so much ass live. I didn’t even mind the lack of an intro. Enjoy this song while you can because knowing Tool, after this album’s tour they’ll probably never play it again.

Opiate – I have seen this song live numerous times and this was BY FAR the best I have seen it done. When it started off normally, I was thinking that there were definitely other songs I would have rather heard in its stead but when the breakdown went in the complete opposite direction of the studio version and got heavy, drawn out and trippy as all hell, I was blown away. I actually felt like I had just taken an opiate, which was perfect for the song. I can never listen to this song in the same way again.

Sober – I have seen Tool 6 times over 14 years (I am 32) and Sober has been there for every one. Normally they perform it well enough for me to never explicitly mind it, but tonight this honestly bored me. Don’t get me wrong: they played it well, but there was just nothing different about it from all the other times I have seen it. Luckily it went quick. Damn it irks me that I have even gotten to the point of saying this. How I wish they would substitute another Undertow song in its place – at least for one entire tour.

Lateralus – Fuck yeah. Seriously. Fuck yeah. One of my all time favorite songs and they always kill it live. Sweet visuals with lasers and images on Lateralus. Only question is: why didn’t they break out the lasers like 4 songs earlier? Crowd looked a bit disoriented coming into the outro: “Spiral out, keep going …” That rhythm is sick. I sang a lot during this song … sorry to the peeps around me :P

Vicarious – Sound got a bit off on this one cause I think Fiddler’s management was signaling to the band that their time was almost up. Either that or the sound just sucked. No matter … great song and well played. I truly enjoyed it all the way through.

Ænema – Another perennial live song but one that I have no problem ever seeing. It was played perfectly and the speakers didn’t clip too much so it sounded good too. I was actually very surprised at how many people knew the lyrics to Ænema, since at other shows the crowd has appeared to be oblivious to wtf Maynard is talking about. On the last beat, the lights shone out to the audience, which was an excellent touch. Oh, and I still love that Tool won a Grammy for this one. Utterly and ironically priceless.

The Stage:

I have to say that the visuals and stage set-up for this tour is the best I have seen. Being in lawn I had a full, unobstructed view of the floor and background screens, including the side mounted ones. Since the sound quality was so-so (it is sad when you can hear normal volume conversations when the band is playing), the visuals being that well done really helped get into the music. At times I was completely floored, actually.

Some notes on the Venue (drop off now if you are over all the Fiddler’s rants):

Fiddler's Green/Coors Amphitheatre fucking sucks my balls. I have seen 3 shows there in the last 9 or so years and every time I swear I will never go back (I will obviously drag my hypocritical ass to wherever Tool is playing, though). All the reasons mentioned previously are accurate; the sound levels, the staff, parking, etc. But, here is the *real* reason I think that place is over the top terrible: their water policy.

Most venues now charge for bottled water. I am used to it. More and more venues are charging just for cups. BS but I'll deal. Fiddler's does all that (I was told from 2 different vendors that the venue inventories their plastic cups) and takes it a step further. That place has hidden their water fountains (if they exist at all) and not told any of their staff (volunteers, actually) where the fuck they are. I literally asked 4 different people where the fountains were and not ONE knew. I remember having this issue the last time I was there too. I don't mind buying water if I have too, but with the band starting and there being a 20 minute line to buy a bottle, I'll go without. Someone mentioned corporate greed and that is right on the money, pun intended.

Please Tool, take heed of this mistake and never play there again. When the sound quality actually affects your enjoyment of a show, I would hope that you, as muscians, would take it to heart. You guys *have* to enjoy playing at Red Rocks – the audience definitely does. Location, sound quality and staff are all superior. Fiddler’s probably just paid you more $$ to play there but I do hope for a bit more artistic integrity. Then again, if you are over the whole artistic integrity thing then how about coughing up some more live material for us to buy? Money will be in my hand the moment I hear about it.

See you all at the next CO show.
Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

Sir Winston Churchill
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-03-2006, 04:09 PM   #56
Introverted Extrovert

Bincount™: 6698

Quote:
Originally Posted by leillusionidipace View Post
The visuals for Rosetta Stoned were fucking insane. Was that Dave walking down the highway?
Hmm good question. I think they did a good job making the x-files being look incredibly like a blue-green Jackie Chan with Isabella Rosellini lips! Couldn't smell the breath though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #57
Level 1 - Lurker

1st Tool show. It was amazing. Sec 103. As for all you that bitch, listen..., it's outdoors, it's LIVE with no recordings etc etc blah blah. Do you realize that you witnessed a band that rarely performs once in 5 yrs??!!! THE SHOW WAS GREAT!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #58
Level 3 - Talker

Location: Sitting on top of a lonely mountain in the middle of a frozen desert, dreaming of a beach.
Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUNSMAN View Post
The *experience* of a live Tool show was great as always but for many people the sound quality was poor enough to detract from our enjoyment so we mention it in our posts. I see this complaint as a majority consensus here and hopefully some representative from the Tool machine will read this and take note so that they never play there again. Just my opinion, of course.

**edited for clarity**
Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by Shmooove; 09-04-2006 at 08:59 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #59
crashed my spaceship (tdn $upporter)
Suicide Booth ID: 10

Bincount™: 10062

This was a great show, and I wasnt dissapointed by it. That said, I was not impressed, either. They played a custie setlist, and Maynard's little "sitting on stage" thing was pretty fucking lame, I think. How much money did we all pay to get in here? How long did we stand in line? Then he insults us, "we are such big stars you all need to clap louder for us. then we will do our "encore""

As someone else said, the theme of the night was "make a buck". They came out, played their music, and that was about it.

Perhaps I am spoiled by all the other concerts I have been to lately, but I didnt feel that Tool actually "topped" any of them.

If you still think that "tool is the greatest band ever" you really need to get out more.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #60
Introverted Extrovert

Bincount™: 6698

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydog View Post
This was a great show, and I wasnt dissapointed by it. That said, I was not impressed, either. They played a custie setlist, and Maynard's little "sitting on stage" thing was pretty fucking lame, I think. How much money did we all pay to get in here? How long did we stand in line? Then he insults us, "we are such big stars you all need to clap louder for us. then we will do our "encore""

As someone else said, the theme of the night was "make a buck". They came out, played their music, and that was about it.

Perhaps I am spoiled by all the other concerts I have been to lately, but I didnt feel that Tool actually "topped" any of them.

If you still think that "tool is the greatest band ever" you really need to get out more.
Awwww sorry! Danny was probably the best of the night, eh? At least they didn't lave the stage and do that corny ass encore that way...I think they're the only band I know who don't leave the stage. For that I gotta give them props. But if it wasn't for us fans, the "greatest band ever" wouldn't even give us the pleasure of seeing them live. I loved it...from where I was sitting, I still contend it was one of the best sounding shows.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #61
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

This is a late post but to whoever might care, here is my opinion of the show. First of all I would like to say that I have missed Tool three times because tickets always sell out so fast, so I was very grateful to be there and I think the band absolutely nailed their parts and Maynard seemed to get better with each song. I have seen APC live but not Tool until now and I have to say that Maynard is just one of the greatest performers ever. I don't know what people are complaining about, it's not like they are going on stage and fuckin' up the songs. I guess people would like them to move around a little more and interact with crowd more often but the bottom line is they play well. I'm not upset with the band but I am annoyed with the crowd. It seems to me that a lot of people only know a few songs and don't really understand half the shit and then they want to talk trash. If thats how you want to be then stay home and get the hell out of my way so I can get a better seat! Let's see you get up there and pull this shit off live. With that said let me just say that I enjoyed every minute of the show and really took it all in note for note and they kicked ass like I knew they would!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #62
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrovernomore View Post
I'm still glad I got to see TOOL again, but there were so many distractions: 1.) The sound was not loud enough to carry out to the higher lawns. 2.) The wind washed out the sound. 3.) The amount of low-end in the mix was a problem all night and made things very unclear and muddy for both bands. Coors Ampitheater should consider turning down the bass frequencies so that all frequencies come through equally. Then they wouldn't have to worry about exceeding the decibel limit. 4.)Idiot people around me not only liked to sing along out of tune and out of tempo, but they also liked to cheer like the Irish would at a rugby match every time TOOL paused between sections of a song. The whole ordeal was like trying to have an intelligent conversation at a noisy bar. About the only break I could get was Rosetta Stoned, which, of course, all those idiots didn't recognize and therefore couldn't sing to - although, I don't know of many people who sing along with that one. It was still worth the money to go see this band, and ISIS was great too, but just hard to hear. I would recommend anyone who likes music to go see TOOL and ISIS, but then again, it seems most of the people who show up like partying more than music.
I agree that Isis was cool. I'd never heard 'em before, but I'll be checkin' them out in the near future and I couldn't agree with you more about people wanting to party more than see a show. It's a shame, but, at least you understand this brutha! Peace the Fuck Out!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

This is my 2nd TOOL show. I first seen them early this year in NYC. My man and I made a special trip to see them and the lovely state of Colorado. They sounded great from Section 202. The stage presence was very cool ... I was extremely happy that they added a different song (Opiate) to the set list they have been playing. I'm looking forward to seeing them again back home in New Jersey.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: