Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2010
User Name
Password
kabir's Avatar kabir
07-15-2010, 07:07 AM

Please do not post if you did not attend the show.

SETLIST

Third Eye
Jambi
-Ions
Stinkfist
Vicarious
EBA
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
46&2
-intermission-
Lateralus w/ Gino from Rajas
Aenima

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-16-2010 at 06:32 PM..
Old 07-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116
07.15.2010 - San Diego, CA @ Viejas Arena

Please do not post if you did not attend the show.

SETLIST

Third Eye
Jambi
-Ions
Stinkfist
Vicarious
EBA
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
46&2
-intermission-
Aenima

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-16-2010 at 06:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Mangus_AZ
07-15-2010, 10:49 PM

Show was awesome. Glad i got a poster and shirt. Same setlist as all the other shows. Liked how Maynard made sure Arizona stood out in Aenema
Old 07-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.15.2010 - San Diego, CA @ Viejas Arena

Show was awesome. Glad i got a poster and shirt. Same setlist as all the other shows. Liked how Maynard made sure Arizona stood out in Aenema
07-15-2010, 11:25 PM

Third Eye!!!
Jambi
-Ions
Stinkfist
Vicarious
EBA
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
46&2
-intermission-
Aenima

The show was amazing audibly and visualy!! The vibe was great and the sound was awesome. No issues with the vocals be drowned out!! Maynard and the crew all seemed into it!! There were a couple parts where they were just slightly off but nothing too noticeable overall they were tight.

THIRD EYE is incredible live and such an incredible way to start the show, the Timothy Leary speach with the trippy visuals was really cool! Jambi was good but he sang the whole song with his megaphone, kinda wierd but not bad, still rather hear it without the added vocal effects. Stinkfist is always amazing live, I would pick that to stay in the line up over almost any other, its so good!! Adam played a different riff during the second verse it sounded really cool but almost lost timing. Vicarious was good but I wish he would sing the end, it looked like he held the mic toward the crowd to sing it but everyone kinda failed to do so. Someone in a previous post said the intro to vicarious will probably be on the new album and I would have to agree it sounds like a new jam. Back in 2002 the intro to lateralus became Wings for Marie so it makes sense. EBA/The Patient was really good, so heavy live. Maynard,"do you believe in time travel?" INTOLERANCE fuckin ROCKED!! I feel lucky to have experienced it!! The extended part was killer!! Schism was cool, DC's drumming during the double time part is inhuman! 46&2 with the drum solo is always good. What the hell are they playing during the intermission, it is really cool, very intense!! Hope that it is part of they new album as well because it was pretty mind blowing. Lateralus was great, halfway through the drummer from rajas comes out and Maynard says, "OK Gino, balls on the table, let the drum faggotry begin" classic!! After the solos Maynard give a big thumbs up to Gino and a thumbs down to Danny, a few minutes later toward the end of the song he fetches two pieces of paper from the side of the stage and holds them up in front each drummer but I couldn't make out what they were. Anyone know?? Maynard, "Where are we, oh yeah southern california, let me get my bottle of Arizona bay wine in my hand for this one" cue Aenima. Great setlist great sound great visuals great show!! Tool never dissapoints, can't wait for LA!!

Last edited by DVSONE; 07-15-2010 at 11:32 PM..
Old 07-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Third Eye!!!
Jambi
-Ions
Stinkfist
Vicarious
EBA
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
46&2
-intermission-
Aenima

The show was amazing audibly and visualy!! The vibe was great and the sound was awesome. No issues with the vocals be drowned out!! Maynard and the crew all seemed into it!! There were a couple parts where they were just slightly off but nothing too noticeable overall they were tight.

THIRD EYE is incredible live and such an incredible way to start the show, the Timothy Leary speach with the trippy visuals was really cool! Jambi was good but he sang the whole song with his megaphone, kinda wierd but not bad, still rather hear it without the added vocal effects. Stinkfist is always amazing live, I would pick that to stay in the line up over almost any other, its so good!! Adam played a different riff during the second verse it sounded really cool but almost lost timing. Vicarious was good but I wish he would sing the end, it looked like he held the mic toward the crowd to sing it but everyone kinda failed to do so. Someone in a previous post said the intro to vicarious will probably be on the new album and I would have to agree it sounds like a new jam. Back in 2002 the intro to lateralus became Wings for Marie so it makes sense. EBA/The Patient was really good, so heavy live. Maynard,"do you believe in time travel?" INTOLERANCE fuckin ROCKED!! I feel lucky to have experienced it!! The extended part was killer!! Schism was cool, DC's drumming during the double time part is inhuman! 46&2 with the drum solo is always good. What the hell are they playing during the intermission, it is really cool, very intense!! Hope that it is part of they new album as well because it was pretty mind blowing. Lateralus was great, halfway through the drummer from rajas comes out and Maynard says, "OK Gino, balls on the table, let the drum faggotry begin" classic!! After the solos Maynard give a big thumbs up to Gino and a thumbs down to Danny, a few minutes later toward the end of the song he fetches two pieces of paper from the side of the stage and holds them up in front each drummer but I couldn't make out what they were. Anyone know?? Maynard, "Where are we, oh yeah southern california, let me get my bottle of Arizona bay wine in my hand for this one" cue Aenima. Great setlist great sound great visuals great show!! Tool never dissapoints, can't wait for LA!!

Last edited by DVSONE; 07-15-2010 at 11:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
pris0n's Avatar pris0n
07-15-2010, 11:38 PM

Show was fucking amazing, best Tool show I've ever been to. Setlist was amazing too, finally got to hear The Patient. Maynard sounded really good too. I don't remember the lighting being so intense either.

Only thing that sucked was the merch. I paid $120 for a signed Tool poster with all the cash I had. Got to the car after the show and it wasn't even signed. It was numbered but not signed as if they forgot to sign it or something. Went back to the merch people and they thought I was trying to scam them and acted as if I was a criminal thinking I bought a regular one and was trying to play it off. Oh well, there goes my lunch money for the month.

Great night with a shitty ending.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 22

Show was fucking amazing, best Tool show I've ever been to. Setlist was amazing too, finally got to hear The Patient. Maynard sounded really good too. I don't remember the lighting being so intense either.

Only thing that sucked was the merch. I paid $120 for a signed Tool poster with all the cash I had. Got to the car after the show and it wasn't even signed. It was numbered but not signed as if they forgot to sign it or something. Went back to the merch people and they thought I was trying to scam them and acted as if I was a criminal thinking I bought a regular one and was trying to play it off. Oh well, there goes my lunch money for the month.

Great night with a shitty ending.
OFFLINE |  
theangryintern
07-15-2010, 11:59 PM

Yup, great show. 4th time I've seen Tool and they never cease to amaze me. Such an incredible live band. As stated, the setlist is the standard one they've been using for this tour. The Patient is so amazing live!!! Also really enjoyed getting to hear Third Eye and Intolerance. Visuals were incredible, as always.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Yup, great show. 4th time I've seen Tool and they never cease to amaze me. Such an incredible live band. As stated, the setlist is the standard one they've been using for this tour. The Patient is so amazing live!!! Also really enjoyed getting to hear Third Eye and Intolerance. Visuals were incredible, as always.
OFFLINE |  
OCDT's Avatar OCDT
07-16-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSONE View Post
After the solos Maynard give a big thumbs up to Gino and a thumbs down to Danny, a few minutes later toward the end of the song he fetches two pieces of paper from the side of the stage and holds them up in front each drummer but I couldn't make out what they were. Anyone know??
I'm guessing they were score cards. Maynard has been doing that for a few years, after the drum battle he will give Danny a score out of 10 and the guest drummer a score out of 10 on a piece of paper. When I saw them Danny got a 3 and the guest drummer got a 9 lol.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSONE View Post
After the solos Maynard give a big thumbs up to Gino and a thumbs down to Danny, a few minutes later toward the end of the song he fetches two pieces of paper from the side of the stage and holds them up in front each drummer but I couldn't make out what they were. Anyone know??
I'm guessing they were score cards. Maynard has been doing that for a few years, after the drum battle he will give Danny a score out of 10 and the guest drummer a score out of 10 on a piece of paper. When I saw them Danny got a 3 and the guest drummer got a 9 lol.
07-16-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDT View Post
The scores were 11 for Gino & 8 for Danny.

The questions about Tool "mailing" it in have been emphatically answered. All four members were obviously enjoying themselves. Adam & Danny were experimenting during the song extensions & I'm sure that we were hearing some new material in there. It is also apparent that the many complaints voiced here about the sound mix were heeded. The vocals were clear & strong whenever Maynard wanted them to be.

Third Eye was especially strong & could have been used as the encore. Get ready Vegas & L.A.,
you are in for a treat. Don't be late.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDT View Post
The scores were 11 for Gino & 8 for Danny.

The questions about Tool "mailing" it in have been emphatically answered. All four members were obviously enjoying themselves. Adam & Danny were experimenting during the song extensions & I'm sure that we were hearing some new material in there. It is also apparent that the many complaints voiced here about the sound mix were heeded. The vocals were clear & strong whenever Maynard wanted them to be.

Third Eye was especially strong & could have been used as the encore. Get ready Vegas & L.A.,
you are in for a treat. Don't be late.
OFFLINE |  
whoremoans's Avatar whoremoans
07-16-2010, 10:57 AM

My 7th TOOL show and I was'nt disappointed. My second show in San Diego at the cox/viejas arena and I never fail to get my ass lost trying to find that place. Being from Riverside I'm not exactly familiar with the layout of SD. I believe me and my buddy asked around nine different people for directions to the place before finally finding it this time. Even had a kind woman and her daughter offer to let us follow them there and I managed to lose them on the freeway..so yeah. Weather was odd in SD, hot and rainy with some lightning...guess TOOL was affecting the atmosphere.

Third Eye was sick. Loved The Patient and intolerance...patience and intolerance..nice coupling for the setlist. It was my buddys first live TOOL experience so watching him be ear fucked by the band was interesting for me...always makes the show more interesting having a first timer along with you..seeing their reaction and whatnot.

The crowd was pretty chill, no fights or conflicts that I saw anyway. I'm sure there probably were a few somewhere..beer always brings out the best in us. We had floor seats center stage so we got a really nice view of the new visuals..very cool stuff. Felt bad for Rajas...many people throwing the obligatory "fuck you!" and "you suck" their way..pretty tough opening for TOOL though. You gave a good effort guys. Liked the sound of some of their songs but barely caught any of the lyrics.

A very cute girl next to me offered me a hit of what smelled like some sweet bud. I had to decline because I was already getting my ass lost sober and had I hit that then tried to make the drive home I'd probably be in the middle of mexico right about now. So if your reading this "joint girl" it was'nt cause I thought you were dirty or anything. I'm not a germaphobe, just planning ahead. My buddy took a hit and would like to thank you for your generosity. Actually I find that at every TOOL show I've attended the fans are really down for looking out for one another. The guy next to me kept offering to buy me and my friend beers...at 7 bucks a pop that's pretty generous. Good people.

Managed to get ahold of a signed event poster for that night as well as one from the saskatchewan show. Liked a few of the new shirt designs, the california flag one inparticular. They could lower the prices for shirts though...a little high guys....your not making them from your body hair, its just cotton...be reasonable. Nice to see that the Adam art added posters have dropped to 400.00 instead of the 500.00 they were going for during the 10k days tour...still can't afford'em though. Fun to admire from afar none the less.

Going to Nokia on Sunday, wishing I had the foresight to get a ticket for the second show instead as they'll probably change-up the set list slighty for night two but...live TOOL is live TOOL I guess.

Last edited by whoremoans; 07-16-2010 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: misspelled Nokia...was in "special" classes when I was younger.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

My 7th TOOL show and I was'nt disappointed. My second show in San Diego at the cox/viejas arena and I never fail to get my ass lost trying to find that place. Being from Riverside I'm not exactly familiar with the layout of SD. I believe me and my buddy asked around nine different people for directions to the place before finally finding it this time. Even had a kind woman and her daughter offer to let us follow them there and I managed to lose them on the freeway..so yeah. Weather was odd in SD, hot and rainy with some lightning...guess TOOL was affecting the atmosphere.

Third Eye was sick. Loved The Patient and intolerance...patience and intolerance..nice coupling for the setlist. It was my buddys first live TOOL experience so watching him be ear fucked by the band was interesting for me...always makes the show more interesting having a first timer along with you..seeing their reaction and whatnot.

The crowd was pretty chill, no fights or conflicts that I saw anyway. I'm sure there probably were a few somewhere..beer always brings out the best in us. We had floor seats center stage so we got a really nice view of the new visuals..very cool stuff. Felt bad for Rajas...many people throwing the obligatory "fuck you!" and "you suck" their way..pretty tough opening for TOOL though. You gave a good effort guys. Liked the sound of some of their songs but barely caught any of the lyrics.

A very cute girl next to me offered me a hit of what smelled like some sweet bud. I had to decline because I was already getting my ass lost sober and had I hit that then tried to make the drive home I'd probably be in the middle of mexico right about now. So if your reading this "joint girl" it was'nt cause I thought you were dirty or anything. I'm not a germaphobe, just planning ahead. My buddy took a hit and would like to thank you for your generosity. Actually I find that at every TOOL show I've attended the fans are really down for looking out for one another. The guy next to me kept offering to buy me and my friend beers...at 7 bucks a pop that's pretty generous. Good people.

Managed to get ahold of a signed event poster for that night as well as one from the saskatchewan show. Liked a few of the new shirt designs, the california flag one inparticular. They could lower the prices for shirts though...a little high guys....your not making them from your body hair, its just cotton...be reasonable. Nice to see that the Adam art added posters have dropped to 400.00 instead of the 500.00 they were going for during the 10k days tour...still can't afford'em though. Fun to admire from afar none the less.

Going to Nokia on Sunday, wishing I had the foresight to get a ticket for the second show instead as they'll probably change-up the set list slighty for night two but...live TOOL is live TOOL I guess.

Last edited by whoremoans; 07-16-2010 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: misspelled Nokia...was in "special" classes when I was younger.
OFFLINE |  
Lestat
07-16-2010, 11:35 AM

After the drum battle the score cards were a !!! for the Rajas drummer and a B+ for danny, not an 8 and 11.

The posters with sharpie embellishment only were $400, but the painted/colored ones were $900 framed with a decent looking frame.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

After the drum battle the score cards were a !!! for the Rajas drummer and a B+ for danny, not an 8 and 11.

The posters with sharpie embellishment only were $400, but the painted/colored ones were $900 framed with a decent looking frame.
OFFLINE |  
AlsoKnownAsGG
07-16-2010, 01:32 PM

This was my 5th TOOL show and it definitely makes the top 2. The mood was great. Everyone seemed really laid back and the somewhat different setlist was a good treat. Justin and Danny especially brought so much energy to the performance. You could feel the bass and drums through your body and down to your toes the entire night. Third Eye was absolutely incredible, especially as the opener. I’ve been dying to see that song live since I was ten years old and the wait was well worth it. I’d wait another decade to see it again. Stinkfist was outstanding live and the crowd was really into it, as usual with that song. Vicarious shocked me. I always question why TOOL chooses to play this song at shows, except for the fact that it was a big single, but it is pretty amazing live. Maynard pit the mic to the audience for the last chorus. When EBA started the crowd went psycho which was surprising to me. It doesn’t seem like a song a lot of people would get really psyched for, but they did. I always thought EBA was one of their most beautiful songs and hearing it live makes the whole body go numb. The Patient had a great vibe with the visuals and the rhythm. The crowd sang along with Maynard throughout the whole song.

Intolerance was inconceivably amazing live. That song was definitely the most memorable and my fave of the night. I’d never seen it live before and now that I have, I think it should be mandatory for every show. It blew me far far away. Still can’t get over it. Wow. Danny and Gino during Lateralus were pretty cool. Although, I would have preferred TOOL play another song during the five or so minutes it took to set up Gino’s drumset. In my opinion, Gino was just a distraction from Danny. It could have been just as good and even better with just Danny alone. The crowd seemed off at some parts during the night like during the Schism interlude. It started at a much faster pace than usual. Also, the different riff Adam played in Stinkfist threw people off a bit. I always love how all Maynard has to say is Southern California and the crowd knows it’s time for Aenema. I have to say, this song should always be an encore song. It’s just that good. Great way to end the show.

As far as security goes, they didn’t seem too harsh, at least in the section I was in. The person beside me was taking pictures with a professional camera the entire show and only got caught once. Again, the crowd was chill and laid back except for this psycho lady who started screaming at me for standing next to her husband. There were also a few “Maynard is a fag!” yells heard throughout the show. Another downside was my brother and his dumbass friends who started jumping up and down during EBA because they thought it was a new song. I had to try and stop the anger from rising up in me and remember that they only know TOOL as they exist on 10,000 Days. Also, my friend tried but did not succeed in catching the flying drumheads after the encore. Anyway, remarkable show. Third Eye and Intolerance were the best of the night.
Loved Adam in the braids.

Last edited by AlsoKnownAsGG; 07-16-2010 at 03:51 PM..
Old 07-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

This was my 5th TOOL show and it definitely makes the top 2. The mood was great. Everyone seemed really laid back and the somewhat different setlist was a good treat. Justin and Danny especially brought so much energy to the performance. You could feel the bass and drums through your body and down to your toes the entire night. Third Eye was absolutely incredible, especially as the opener. I’ve been dying to see that song live since I was ten years old and the wait was well worth it. I’d wait another decade to see it again. Stinkfist was outstanding live and the crowd was really into it, as usual with that song. Vicarious shocked me. I always question why TOOL chooses to play this song at shows, except for the fact that it was a big single, but it is pretty amazing live. Maynard pit the mic to the audience for the last chorus. When EBA started the crowd went psycho which was surprising to me. It doesn’t seem like a song a lot of people would get really psyched for, but they did. I always thought EBA was one of their most beautiful songs and hearing it live makes the whole body go numb. The Patient had a great vibe with the visuals and the rhythm. The crowd sang along with Maynard throughout the whole song.

Intolerance was inconceivably amazing live. That song was definitely the most memorable and my fave of the night. I’d never seen it live before and now that I have, I think it should be mandatory for every show. It blew me far far away. Still can’t get over it. Wow. Danny and Gino during Lateralus were pretty cool. Although, I would have preferred TOOL play another song during the five or so minutes it took to set up Gino’s drumset. In my opinion, Gino was just a distraction from Danny. It could have been just as good and even better with just Danny alone. The crowd seemed off at some parts during the night like during the Schism interlude. It started at a much faster pace than usual. Also, the different riff Adam played in Stinkfist threw people off a bit. I always love how all Maynard has to say is Southern California and the crowd knows it’s time for Aenema. I have to say, this song should always be an encore song. It’s just that good. Great way to end the show.

As far as security goes, they didn’t seem too harsh, at least in the section I was in. The person beside me was taking pictures with a professional camera the entire show and only got caught once. Again, the crowd was chill and laid back except for this psycho lady who started screaming at me for standing next to her husband. There were also a few “Maynard is a fag!” yells heard throughout the show. Another downside was my brother and his dumbass friends who started jumping up and down during EBA because they thought it was a new song. I had to try and stop the anger from rising up in me and remember that they only know TOOL as they exist on 10,000 Days. Also, my friend tried but did not succeed in catching the flying drumheads after the encore. Anyway, remarkable show. Third Eye and Intolerance were the best of the night.
Loved Adam in the braids.

Last edited by AlsoKnownAsGG; 07-16-2010 at 03:51 PM..
OFFLINE |  
sarahethan
07-16-2010, 04:54 PM

Tool is absolutely the best band going right now and have been for quite some time. I have seen them many times, and this show, while not better overall than any other, was as good.

Set list: I thought the set list was awesome and overall the best set they have played. 46 & 2 was definitely my favorite. Overall, I had two "look at my friend" moments. The band played extremely well all night with only a few minor misses. Anyone notice Danny lose a stick during Jambi and quickly recover? That was the only mishap I saw him have. I certainly would have preferred another song rather than the drum-off; that did nothing for me. Also, did the show feel like it ended too abruptly for anyone else but me? As soon as I was back into the show after the drum-off and the finish of Lateralus, they went right into AEnima and then it was over. I think Aenima is a great finisher but there needed to be at least a one-song cushion after Lateralus.

Band: The band was certainly "into" this show more than any other I have seen. Maynard was moving throughout, seemed interested in what was going on around him. I loved the wine drinking. The other boys interacted often with each other and the crowd.

The "show" besides the music: The lights etc. were the best of all my shows. I do wish the lights on the riser covered the entire riser rather than only under the drums. It makes the effect seem cut off. Anyone else notice?

Sound: We were in section G, row 16, which are great seats in that venue. The vocals sounded strong. There were times where the sound became mushy and a bit distorted. Did anyone else in that section notice? The sound just did not seem as clear and crisp as the other times I have seen them, even in that venue.

Crowd: Seemed into the show for the most part, but a bit mellower than expected.

Overall it was a great show and I had a let down today when I left work and thought, "Damn, I do not have a TOOL show to go to." I cannot wait for new music and another tour.

Last edited by sarahethan; 07-16-2010 at 05:23 PM..
Old 07-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Tool is absolutely the best band going right now and have been for quite some time. I have seen them many times, and this show, while not better overall than any other, was as good.

Set list: I thought the set list was awesome and overall the best set they have played. 46 & 2 was definitely my favorite. Overall, I had two "look at my friend" moments. The band played extremely well all night with only a few minor misses. Anyone notice Danny lose a stick during Jambi and quickly recover? That was the only mishap I saw him have. I certainly would have preferred another song rather than the drum-off; that did nothing for me. Also, did the show feel like it ended too abruptly for anyone else but me? As soon as I was back into the show after the drum-off and the finish of Lateralus, they went right into AEnima and then it was over. I think Aenima is a great finisher but there needed to be at least a one-song cushion after Lateralus.

Band: The band was certainly "into" this show more than any other I have seen. Maynard was moving throughout, seemed interested in what was going on around him. I loved the wine drinking. The other boys interacted often with each other and the crowd.

The "show" besides the music: The lights etc. were the best of all my shows. I do wish the lights on the riser covered the entire riser rather than only under the drums. It makes the effect seem cut off. Anyone else notice?

Sound: We were in section G, row 16, which are great seats in that venue. The vocals sounded strong. There were times where the sound became mushy and a bit distorted. Did anyone else in that section notice? The sound just did not seem as clear and crisp as the other times I have seen them, even in that venue.

Crowd: Seemed into the show for the most part, but a bit mellower than expected.

Overall it was a great show and I had a let down today when I left work and thought, "Damn, I do not have a TOOL show to go to." I cannot wait for new music and another tour.

Last edited by sarahethan; 07-16-2010 at 05:23 PM..
OFFLINE |  
LEJend's Avatar LEJend
07-16-2010, 10:50 PM

Show was fucking awesome! Can't believe how tight and hard those dudes still play. Didn't think they'd top last time I saw 'em but was pleasantly blown away. Starting with Third Eye, complete with intro? Sneaking in The Patient and Intolerance! Haven't seen Intolerance since Lola*** main stage way back when, and hearing the end of The Patient live for the first time had me slack-jawed. Completely blew my mind and expectations out the door. Glad they dropped the full-on 10k Days promo set and mixed it up some.

Visuals were great but this time I was side-stage right, looking straight down at the players and ground crew so that was a nice change or perspective (was dead center in middle of floor last time). Did notice some trippy new visuals on the screens when I glanced over, but was stoked to see so much of the band's interaction from behind the scenes. Could see Adam's fingers muting chords and tweaking notes where I thought he used foot pedals instead; figured out some parts where Danny wasn't double-basing as I had thought he was. Maynard was spot-on for this show, really into it and the mix at that arena is top-notch. Justin fat-fingered a few notes but that just makes it more of a show. Only thing perfect was being there to see it.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 459

Show was fucking awesome! Can't believe how tight and hard those dudes still play. Didn't think they'd top last time I saw 'em but was pleasantly blown away. Starting with Third Eye, complete with intro? Sneaking in The Patient and Intolerance! Haven't seen Intolerance since Lola*** main stage way back when, and hearing the end of The Patient live for the first time had me slack-jawed. Completely blew my mind and expectations out the door. Glad they dropped the full-on 10k Days promo set and mixed it up some.

Visuals were great but this time I was side-stage right, looking straight down at the players and ground crew so that was a nice change or perspective (was dead center in middle of floor last time). Did notice some trippy new visuals on the screens when I glanced over, but was stoked to see so much of the band's interaction from behind the scenes. Could see Adam's fingers muting chords and tweaking notes where I thought he used foot pedals instead; figured out some parts where Danny wasn't double-basing as I had thought he was. Maynard was spot-on for this show, really into it and the mix at that arena is top-notch. Justin fat-fingered a few notes but that just makes it more of a show. Only thing perfect was being there to see it.
07-17-2010, 01:31 PM

Third Tool Show. Awesome overall. Third Eye was a great opening song. Maynard's vocals were (purposely) muddy and turned down for the first 2 songs, which was a little disappointing. But hearing The Patient live and his soaring voice made up for it-just spine-tingling. Intolerance live was INTENSE-they need to leave this one in the lineup. My normally placid husband was fist-pumping and screaming "Lie, Cheat and Steal" at the top of his lungs. What other song can promote that kind of reaction?Good job on the lighting, Junior-the effects were off the hook.We were right below the VIP section, and the mobile screens that came down behind Justin and Adam made the images appear to be floating behind them. The extended song versions, especially Stinkfist, were mind-blowing. They are still tight, great musicians, simply the best. I'm still talking about the experience days later. But, um, I am not paying $40-50 for a t-shirt. Maybe if Maynard had personally worn it while picking grapes, or dribbled some AZ wine down the front-but only maybe. Now, go get busy making that new album.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Third Tool Show. Awesome overall. Third Eye was a great opening song. Maynard's vocals were (purposely) muddy and turned down for the first 2 songs, which was a little disappointing. But hearing The Patient live and his soaring voice made up for it-just spine-tingling. Intolerance live was INTENSE-they need to leave this one in the lineup. My normally placid husband was fist-pumping and screaming "Lie, Cheat and Steal" at the top of his lungs. What other song can promote that kind of reaction?Good job on the lighting, Junior-the effects were off the hook.We were right below the VIP section, and the mobile screens that came down behind Justin and Adam made the images appear to be floating behind them. The extended song versions, especially Stinkfist, were mind-blowing. They are still tight, great musicians, simply the best. I'm still talking about the experience days later. But, um, I am not paying $40-50 for a t-shirt. Maybe if Maynard had personally worn it while picking grapes, or dribbled some AZ wine down the front-but only maybe. Now, go get busy making that new album.
OFFLINE |  
philko
07-18-2010, 06:29 PM

This was my third time seeing Tool. I saw them about 3 years ago during the 10,000 Days tour at this same venue. This time we were sitting in the first row of stage right. It was nice being slightly away from the stage with no one directly in front of us.. clear and close view of the band and all of the awesome effects.

There was a cool robotic effect added to MJK's voice on either jambi or stinkfist that caught me off guard. I turned my friend and said "you heard that too, right?". I also liked the stage lights above moving like fingers... creepy. The mobile screens right behind adam and danny were cool during 46&2.

I have to say that they sounded awesome. I brought ear plugs but quickly realized there was no way I was going to wear them (except through the opening band's set). Overall it was an excellent show. I was blown away by their performance.

My criticisms:
The vocals were sometimes drowned out by the massive sound.
I agree with sarah that the show seemed to end abruptly. I was really hoping for more than two songs after the intermission although I saw they had this same setlist for the entire tour. Darn :\
Maynard, stop trying to sell us your wine.

I hope they release a new album soon. A fresh tour with new music would be sick.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my third time seeing Tool. I saw them about 3 years ago during the 10,000 Days tour at this same venue. This time we were sitting in the first row of stage right. It was nice being slightly away from the stage with no one directly in front of us.. clear and close view of the band and all of the awesome effects.

There was a cool robotic effect added to MJK's voice on either jambi or stinkfist that caught me off guard. I turned my friend and said "you heard that too, right?". I also liked the stage lights above moving like fingers... creepy. The mobile screens right behind adam and danny were cool during 46&2.

I have to say that they sounded awesome. I brought ear plugs but quickly realized there was no way I was going to wear them (except through the opening band's set). Overall it was an excellent show. I was blown away by their performance.

My criticisms:
The vocals were sometimes drowned out by the massive sound.
I agree with sarah that the show seemed to end abruptly. I was really hoping for more than two songs after the intermission although I saw they had this same setlist for the entire tour. Darn :\
Maynard, stop trying to sell us your wine.

I hope they release a new album soon. A fresh tour with new music would be sick.
OFFLINE |  
weilun106
07-20-2010, 03:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiMMDpj52xU

the b2b drum solo was great!!!!

Here's my photo taken from the Justin side, hope everyone who attend the show can recall something from them. =D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wei1062...7624425054599/

Last edited by weilun106; 07-21-2010 at 01:14 AM..
Old 07-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Here's my photo taken from the Justin side, hope everyone who attend the show can recall something from them. =D

Last edited by weilun106; 07-21-2010 at 01:14 AM..
OFFLINE |  
gnjasmkr's Avatar gnjasmkr
07-21-2010, 01:17 AM

Show #4 for this tour and had left L.A. a bit later than i wanted but made it to my seat with 15 minutes before TOOL went on and was bummed i missed RAJAS. A friend scored me a poster while i was in route and decided to grab a shirt since i finally had a few extra bucks. Wanted the one with the bear but that logo on the front was crooked and decided on the one with the eyes.

I had a great seat for this show and ran into some people i knew at the show while going to my seat. After the show met up with the people that was supposed to meet earlier had i not gotten stuck in the great L.A. traffic. I packed my floaties just in case.

Great set again and i seriously can not get sick of hearing this setlist again. Drove back home after the show and had to get ready for the trip the next day.

On to Las Vegas
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
Old 07-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Show #4 for this tour and had left L.A. a bit later than i wanted but made it to my seat with 15 minutes before TOOL went on and was bummed i missed RAJAS. A friend scored me a poster while i was in route and decided to grab a shirt since i finally had a few extra bucks. Wanted the one with the bear but that logo on the front was crooked and decided on the one with the eyes.

I had a great seat for this show and ran into some people i knew at the show while going to my seat. After the show met up with the people that was supposed to meet earlier had i not gotten stuck in the great L.A. traffic. I packed my floaties just in case.

Great set again and i seriously can not get sick of hearing this setlist again. Drove back home after the show and had to get ready for the trip the next day.

On to Las Vegas
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
OFFLINE |  
Sequoia225
07-21-2010, 10:58 AM

Drove from after work in LA to this show and just made it before they played. On the way down to San Diego there was a gorgeous complete rainbow and then a storm on the 5 near camp pendleton. I couldnt help but think of the "Wings for Marie" performances and live visuals and thought - man wouldnt that be cool if they played this tonight - but I knew it wouldnt happen and it didnt.
But - the show was fantastic. Had GREAT seats right up from the stage on Adams side - really close.

Thanks for the link to the solo and thanks for whoeever filmed it.

The Patient really moved me tonight - I am REALLY loving this song live. Esp the laser visuals right before the lyrics start really add to it.

Ahh what more can I say? I thought this arena was ok - as far as stadiums. But getting out of that parking structure SUCKED - we were there for about 45 minutes waiting to move at ALL. Oh well. Worth every minute of seeing Tool live.

And at least this time I made it to see the opening - as the weekend before I missed 3rd eye and I thought I would this time too driving from LA after work. had to drive back and work first thing in the morning. All worth it!!! That said - I left hollywood at 6:05 and got to the venue at 8:40 or so - not bad for LA rush hour to SD.

Maynards sarcastic "Im over the drum solo stuff" attitude comments were hilarious.

should have gotten the poster but showed up late cause of my drive. If anyone has one to sell - let me know PM. Not much on Ebay for them. I liked this one though.

What more to say? the boys killed it tonight - but they seem to always.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

Drove from after work in LA to this show and just made it before they played. On the way down to San Diego there was a gorgeous complete rainbow and then a storm on the 5 near camp pendleton. I couldnt help but think of the "Wings for Marie" performances and live visuals and thought - man wouldnt that be cool if they played this tonight - but I knew it wouldnt happen and it didnt.
But - the show was fantastic. Had GREAT seats right up from the stage on Adams side - really close.

Thanks for the link to the solo and thanks for whoeever filmed it.

The Patient really moved me tonight - I am REALLY loving this song live. Esp the laser visuals right before the lyrics start really add to it.

Ahh what more can I say? I thought this arena was ok - as far as stadiums. But getting out of that parking structure SUCKED - we were there for about 45 minutes waiting to move at ALL. Oh well. Worth every minute of seeing Tool live.

And at least this time I made it to see the opening - as the weekend before I missed 3rd eye and I thought I would this time too driving from LA after work. had to drive back and work first thing in the morning. All worth it!!! That said - I left hollywood at 6:05 and got to the venue at 8:40 or so - not bad for LA rush hour to SD.

Maynards sarcastic "Im over the drum solo stuff" attitude comments were hilarious.

should have gotten the poster but showed up late cause of my drive. If anyone has one to sell - let me know PM. Not much on Ebay for them. I liked this one though.

What more to say? the boys killed it tonight - but they seem to always.
OFFLINE |  
gnjasmkr's Avatar gnjasmkr
07-21-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia225 View Post
On the way down to San Diego there was a gorgeous complete rainbow and then a storm on the 5 near camp pendleton. I couldnt help but think of the "Wings for Marie" performances and live visuals and thought - man wouldnt that be cool if they played this tonight - but I knew it wouldnt happen and it didnt.
I was right there with you and took a few pics of that rainbow. You know what else was playing on my stereo during that little storm? Too funny
Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia225 View Post
On the way down to San Diego there was a gorgeous complete rainbow and then a storm on the 5 near camp pendleton. I couldnt help but think of the "Wings for Marie" performances and live visuals and thought - man wouldnt that be cool if they played this tonight - but I knew it wouldnt happen and it didnt.
I was right there with you and took a few pics of that rainbow. You know what else was playing on my stereo during that little storm? Too funny
OFFLINE |  
philko
08-22-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weilun106 View Post

Awesome pics and videos! Spent the last hour on your youtube page. :D

Last edited by philko; 08-22-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Old 08-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by weilun106 View Post

Awesome pics and videos! Spent the last hour on your youtube page. :D

Last edited by philko; 08-22-2010 at 05:41 PM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply