Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
zebra
04-28-2006, 08:30 PM

Hey all,

Cast your mind back to Lateralus. You may recall that the disc was HDCD based, allowing for a higher sampled output rate (in theory) on capable hardware/decoding environments.

Looking at 10000 Days, I see no note or mention of this, on my CD Packaging or otherwise.

Anyone else know why Tool seem to have chosen to ditch HDCD and (potentially) a better overall sound, for those capable of hearing it?

Cheers...

z.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
10000 Days isn't HDCD?

Hey all,

Cast your mind back to Lateralus. You may recall that the disc was HDCD based, allowing for a higher sampled output rate (in theory) on capable hardware/decoding environments.

Looking at 10000 Days, I see no note or mention of this, on my CD Packaging or otherwise.

Anyone else know why Tool seem to have chosen to ditch HDCD and (potentially) a better overall sound, for those capable of hearing it?

Cheers...

z.
OFFLINE |  
vilemerchant
04-28-2006, 08:34 PM

Yeah, for some reason 10KD is not a HDCD. I guess the format is dead in the water.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: 10000 Days isn't HDCD?

Yeah, for some reason 10KD is not a HDCD. I guess the format is dead in the water.
OFFLINE |  
zebra
04-28-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilemerchant
Yeah. Potentially. Not sure really. It wasn't a very popular inclusion to normal pressed CD's in the Lateralus era either, really.

It was one of those things that was only really useful if you were playing through a high end dedicated player, with *really* decent source amplification and monitoring, or a nice soundcard in your PC and a good pair of speakers.

Maybe the cost of manufacturing was too high?

Last edited by zebra; 04-28-2006 at 08:38 PM..
Old 04-28-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilemerchant
Yeah. Potentially. Not sure really. It wasn't a very popular inclusion to normal pressed CD's in the Lateralus era either, really.

It was one of those things that was only really useful if you were playing through a high end dedicated player, with *really* decent source amplification and monitoring, or a nice soundcard in your PC and a good pair of speakers.

Maybe the cost of manufacturing was too high?

Last edited by zebra; 04-28-2006 at 08:38 PM..
OFFLINE |  
El Scorcho's Avatar El Scorcho
04-28-2006, 08:37 PM

It's because they hate you.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

OFFLINE |  
teleincision's Avatar teleincision
04-28-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
well, dont point out the obvious....

lol
Old 04-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
well, dont point out the obvious....

lol
04-28-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra
Hey all,

Cheers...

z.
Yeah I'm slightly pissed about this also.

HDCD does not allow for a higher sampling rate, but it does increase the resolution (number of quantising steps).

CD; fs = 44.1Khz bitdepth = 16
HDCD; fs = 44.1Khz, bit depth = 20
Old 04-28-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Hey all,

Cheers...

z.
Yeah I'm slightly pissed about this also.

HDCD does not allow for a higher sampling rate, but it does increase the resolution (number of quantising steps).

OFFLINE |  
CCD's Avatar CCD
04-28-2006, 08:44 PM

HDCD, I believe, is no longer being supported by Microsoft (it's owner). Their used to be a website HDCD.com, but it no longer exists.

All high-rez formats that require special decoding suffer from the lack of public education about them and lack of manufacturer support. Plus, the average guy can't hear the difference on their highly average quality mass-manufactured in Taiwan portable CD player. People want more music on smaller media, not better sound. So, though a good idea, HDCD did not survive.
Let us now, as Futurists, enter one of these hospitals for anaemic sounds. There: the first bar brings the boredom of familiarity to your ear and anticipates the boredom of the bar to follow. Let us relish, from bar to bar, two or three varieties of genuine boredom, waiting all the while for the extraordinary sensation that never comes.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
CCD
If nothing is everything I've got it all (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 5332

HDCD, I believe, is no longer being supported by Microsoft (it's owner). Their used to be a website HDCD.com, but it no longer exists.

All high-rez formats that require special decoding suffer from the lack of public education about them and lack of manufacturer support. Plus, the average guy can't hear the difference on their highly average quality mass-manufactured in Taiwan portable CD player. People want more music on smaller media, not better sound. So, though a good idea, HDCD did not survive.
Let us now, as Futurists, enter one of these hospitals for anaemic sounds. There: the first bar brings the boredom of familiarity to your ear and anticipates the boredom of the bar to follow. Let us relish, from bar to bar, two or three varieties of genuine boredom, waiting all the while for the extraordinary sensation that never comes.
OFFLINE |  
Metalgod666's Avatar Metalgod666
04-28-2006, 08:52 PM

it doesnt really matter to me as long as it kicks ass
Old 04-28-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

it doesnt really matter to me as long as it kicks ass
OFFLINE |  
zebra
04-28-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmurray

Thanks for the correction there dude.

All the same, I've never actually tested the difference between running lateralus in HDCD mode and non-HDCD mode. I probably should one of these days.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:59 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmurray

Thanks for the correction there dude.

All the same, I've never actually tested the difference between running lateralus in HDCD mode and non-HDCD mode. I probably should one of these days.
OFFLINE |  
Malaka's Avatar Malaka
04-28-2006, 09:27 PM

If you have a 24 bit soundcard it's just a matter of checking a setting in Windows Media Player.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:27 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

If you have a 24 bit soundcard it's just a matter of checking a setting in Windows Media Player.
OFFLINE |  
zebra
04-28-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka
Yes, but not if the source encoding isn't capable of outputting at this bit-depth ;), which in this case, it seems not to be (ie - only 16bit audio, as opposed to HDCD's 20bit).

Meh. Either way, the album as we say in Australia is "bloody stunning". Well worth the wait.

Bring on the tour dates ;)
Old 04-28-2006, 09:34 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Yes, but not if the source encoding isn't capable of outputting at this bit-depth ;), which in this case, it seems not to be (ie - only 16bit audio, as opposed to HDCD's 20bit).

Meh. Either way, the album as we say in Australia is "bloody stunning". Well worth the wait.

Bring on the tour dates ;)
OFFLINE |  
Malaka's Avatar Malaka
04-28-2006, 10:13 PM

"Yes, but not if the source encoding isn't capable of outputting at this bit-depth ;), which in this case, it seems not to be (ie - only 16bit audio, as opposed to HDCD's 20bit)."

I'm sorry you lost me there (i think). I'll just explain a lil more what i meant..
With say lateralus (20 bit) you said if you get around to hearing it one day in hdcd,
I just wanted to point out that it's easy to do if you have a 24 bit soundcard (required) in W.M.P. without buying extra equipment. But if what I think you're saying is with a regular cd (16 bit) it's useless, then yes correct. I didn't intend to have what i said come off as everything plays at 20 or even 24 bit.
Hope i made some sense in there. :P
Old 04-28-2006, 10:13 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

"Yes, but not if the source encoding isn't capable of outputting at this bit-depth ;), which in this case, it seems not to be (ie - only 16bit audio, as opposed to HDCD's 20bit)."

I'm sorry you lost me there (i think). I'll just explain a lil more what i meant..
With say lateralus (20 bit) you said if you get around to hearing it one day in hdcd,
I just wanted to point out that it's easy to do if you have a 24 bit soundcard (required) in W.M.P. without buying extra equipment. But if what I think you're saying is with a regular cd (16 bit) it's useless, then yes correct. I didn't intend to have what i said come off as everything plays at 20 or even 24 bit.
Hope i made some sense in there. :P
OFFLINE |  
zebra
04-28-2006, 11:13 PM

Yup. You have understood my statement.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:13 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Yup. You have understood my statement.
OFFLINE |  
Chris_Brightwell's Avatar Chris_Brightwell
04-28-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Because virtually no one used those extra 4 bits?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:16 PM   #14
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Because virtually no one used those extra 4 bits?
Malaka's Avatar Malaka
04-28-2006, 11:44 PM

With such great marketing and a huge effort to educate consumers of the benefits of HDCD, how could it possibly fail? :P
Old 04-28-2006, 11:44 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

With such great marketing and a huge effort to educate consumers of the benefits of HDCD, how could it possibly fail? :P
OFFLINE |  
JoeyVWEA
04-29-2006, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Hey all,

Cheers...

z.
They might put it out later...the question is...if they do...will you buy the other one too? Maybe SACD? or DUAL DISC?

All i know is that I'm still waiting for the live cd/dvd! FUCK! WHEN LORD WHEN!?!
Old 04-29-2006, 02:05 AM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Hey all,

Cheers...

z.
They might put it out later...the question is...if they do...will you buy the other one too? Maybe SACD? or DUAL DISC?

All i know is that I'm still waiting for the live cd/dvd! FUCK! WHEN LORD WHEN!?!
OFFLINE |  
JoeyVWEA
04-29-2006, 02:13 AM

Quote:
hahaha, players are too fucking expensive...and who besides audio nuts have a HDCD player...those things are expensive and not really worth it. I bet they're more worried about getting 10kdays on iTunes rather than putting it out on HDCD. Digital Distribution is becoming more important to labels than specialty formats, but I wouldn't be suprised if they release this on UMD and on Dual Disc with that infamous 2nd disc.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:13 AM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
hahaha, players are too fucking expensive...and who besides audio nuts have a HDCD player...those things are expensive and not really worth it. I bet they're more worried about getting 10kdays on iTunes rather than putting it out on HDCD. Digital Distribution is becoming more important to labels than specialty formats, but I wouldn't be suprised if they release this on UMD and on Dual Disc with that infamous 2nd disc.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply