Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
Elgyn's Avatar Elgyn
10-27-2009, 01:43 AM

Cool, does it allow you to sequence drum samples and create "beats"?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:43 AM   #41
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318
Re: Opinions on music software

Cool, does it allow you to sequence drum samples and create "beats"?
07-24-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holotrope View Post
Last time I used Vegas, it only had linear routing, whereas in Reaper you can do pretty much anything you want, so it's almost like an old analog synth, and you can get some really cool effects going on.

Also, Reaper has a 64-bit floating-point mix engine, and I don't think Vegas does...
I use reaper as well. It is a great platform for low cost. And you can try it out for free without any restrictions on the programs capabilities.

However, if I read the original request correctly, slyraje is looking for a drum sampler type program. Reaper does not contain a drum sample set so he would still be needing some kind of drum set.

EZ drummer is really inexpensive these days and the DFH (Drumkit from Hell) will give you heavy (Tool friendly) sounds. The are other kits available for EZ as well. Toontracks has newer programs with more complex and customizable and have more variety of kits built in but they co$t quite a bit more.

Some of the more expensive music creation programs: fruity loops, reason, etc often have drum samplers built in or may come with sampler plug ins. There are many options out there and depending on the users approach and needs there may be several that fit the bill.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #42
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by holotrope View Post
Last time I used Vegas, it only had linear routing, whereas in Reaper you can do pretty much anything you want, so it's almost like an old analog synth, and you can get some really cool effects going on.

Also, Reaper has a 64-bit floating-point mix engine, and I don't think Vegas does...
I use reaper as well. It is a great platform for low cost. And you can try it out for free without any restrictions on the programs capabilities.

However, if I read the original request correctly, slyraje is looking for a drum sampler type program. Reaper does not contain a drum sample set so he would still be needing some kind of drum set.

EZ drummer is really inexpensive these days and the DFH (Drumkit from Hell) will give you heavy (Tool friendly) sounds. The are other kits available for EZ as well. Toontracks has newer programs with more complex and customizable and have more variety of kits built in but they co$t quite a bit more.

Some of the more expensive music creation programs: fruity loops, reason, etc often have drum samplers built in or may come with sampler plug ins. There are many options out there and depending on the users approach and needs there may be several that fit the bill.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
wadermaxx
10-18-2011, 03:53 AM

Music is liked by almost all the people and different people had a different choice regarding the opinion on music software. The music software should be the best quality of software which play the best music.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:53 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

Music is liked by almost all the people and different people had a different choice regarding the opinion on music software. The music software should be the best quality of software which play the best music.
10-19-2011, 05:23 PM

Soooo an old thread was dredged up, way to go wadermaxx. But since I've been doing a lot of digital audio work lately, I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Logic.

For the creative end of things, if you want recording ability, I think it's a hands-down winner. With its object-oriented "Environment," Logic allows for unsurpassed creative manipulation of signal flow in MIDI sequencing. The basic interface is intuitive and fluid (though 'The Environment' takes some getting used to), and the out-of-the-box software instruments and DSP options are incredible. Plus, the 64-bit engine in Logic 9 is blazing fast. It's quite a solid professional-level tool for recording and mixing, too. It doesn't really compare to ProTools on that side of things, but a ProTools system can cost upwards of $10,000 once you get the Avid-supported hardware, whereas Logic runs native on Intel Macs and supports a plethora of PCIe, USB and FireWire audio interfaces for any budget.

Last edited by transcend187; 10-19-2011 at 05:27 PM..
Old 10-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #44
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1439

Soooo an old thread was dredged up, way to go wadermaxx. But since I've been doing a lot of digital audio work lately, I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Logic.

For the creative end of things, if you want recording ability, I think it's a hands-down winner. With its object-oriented "Environment," Logic allows for unsurpassed creative manipulation of signal flow in MIDI sequencing. The basic interface is intuitive and fluid (though 'The Environment' takes some getting used to), and the out-of-the-box software instruments and DSP options are incredible. Plus, the 64-bit engine in Logic 9 is blazing fast. It's quite a solid professional-level tool for recording and mixing, too. It doesn't really compare to ProTools on that side of things, but a ProTools system can cost upwards of $10,000 once you get the Avid-supported hardware, whereas Logic runs native on Intel Macs and supports a plethora of PCIe, USB and FireWire audio interfaces for any budget.

Last edited by transcend187; 10-19-2011 at 05:27 PM..
nelson1234
01-23-2012, 01:08 AM

The best composition programs should have sufficient features that allow you to input, notate, edit and output music. It should also guitar and drum notation, sample song files and a metronome to keep time while recording in real-time.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #45
Banned.

The best composition programs should have sufficient features that allow you to input, notate, edit and output music. It should also guitar and drum notation, sample song files and a metronome to keep time while recording in real-time.
Sleeper0013's Avatar Sleeper0013
09-10-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyraje View Post
I am looking for some advice from those who have experience with some of the different music software that is available. The only programs I have any experience with are Propellerhead's Reason v1.0 Cubase VST4.

I play guitar, bass, and can work with a keyboard to some degree. I own a drum kit, but don't have the time to invest in working on that skill. So what I really need is software with some nice drumming capabilities. I've heard mention of a few programs including FL Studio, Reason, and Drum Kit From Hell. I've heard some examples of the mentioned three, but I can't assume that all I've heard is all that they are capable of, nor do I know how the programs work exactly (easy to use, very technical, etc...).

I suppose I should add that I'd like to spend around $300 or less.

I'd appreciate any advice any of you can offer. Thanks!

Reason 6.5 all the way bro, you will pay a little more than $300, plus add ons. But the system is solid, and with the digitally imaged analogue and Tube effects this creation studio is easily superior to the other systems out there. Also the system is highly effective in a broad range live settings, be it instrument effect processing or DJ station, vocals, or synth processor.
All assertions to a phenomenon are projected, and are the result of the mind stream projecting them. All phenomenon are of a relative nature, there for all phenomenon are subjective. All phenomenon Inherently contain their own contradiction, therefore All phenomenon are Empty and void of inherent assertions.

Last edited by Sleeper0013; 09-10-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #46
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyraje View Post
I am looking for some advice from those who have experience with some of the different music software that is available. The only programs I have any experience with are Propellerhead's Reason v1.0 Cubase VST4.

I play guitar, bass, and can work with a keyboard to some degree. I own a drum kit, but don't have the time to invest in working on that skill. So what I really need is software with some nice drumming capabilities. I've heard mention of a few programs including FL Studio, Reason, and Drum Kit From Hell. I've heard some examples of the mentioned three, but I can't assume that all I've heard is all that they are capable of, nor do I know how the programs work exactly (easy to use, very technical, etc...).

I suppose I should add that I'd like to spend around $300 or less.

I'd appreciate any advice any of you can offer. Thanks!

Reason 6.5 all the way bro, you will pay a little more than $300, plus add ons. But the system is solid, and with the digitally imaged analogue and Tube effects this creation studio is easily superior to the other systems out there. Also the system is highly effective in a broad range live settings, be it instrument effect processing or DJ station, vocals, or synth processor.
All assertions to a phenomenon are projected, and are the result of the mind stream projecting them. All phenomenon are of a relative nature, there for all phenomenon are subjective. All phenomenon Inherently contain their own contradiction, therefore All phenomenon are Empty and void of inherent assertions.

Last edited by Sleeper0013; 09-10-2012 at 08:22 PM..
mroy559
09-13-2012, 03:17 AM

It is possible to achieve essentially anything with Reason 3 in the way of drum defeats. You can stock up any sounds for the drum unit and do what you will really to these people, and you possibly can cut in place full defeat samples in the loop player nevertheless, you like.
And next do what ever processing you wish to everything.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #47

Bincount™:

It is possible to achieve essentially anything with Reason 3 in the way of drum defeats. You can stock up any sounds for the drum unit and do what you will really to these people, and you possibly can cut in place full defeat samples in the loop player nevertheless, you like.
And next do what ever processing you wish to everything.
CosmicCarbon33
02-22-2013, 07:14 AM

Just my 2 cents but Ableton Live is an amazing program for music production!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

Just my 2 cents but Ableton Live is an amazing program for music production!
RussianRoot
03-15-2014, 08:48 AM

i use Pro Tools 11. quite a big range of options to use. kinda surprised i didnt see it mentioned in this thread. (though i might have skimmed over it)
Old 03-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #49
Banned.

i use Pro Tools 11. quite a big range of options to use. kinda surprised i didnt see it mentioned in this thread. (though i might have skimmed over it)
Barber
03-15-2014, 02:20 PM

I'm a Mac user, and I've been using Logic for the past 5 years. It's the most 'logical' (pun intended) interface for recording organic audio. I actually record to an all-in-one and then export the separate instrumental tracks to Logic, and then record vocals directly to Logic. I use an old-school all-in-one Yamaha machine because it can handle 8 simultaneous inputs better than my MacBook Pro ever will.

Also, if you'd like to make rap beats and whatnot, FL Studio 10 is amazing and extremely user friendly (only for windows though, so you'd need bootcamp on a mac)

I do like Reason for beats as well, but the interface can be cumbersome to figure out at first.

Logic has really, really nice samples for midi as well, but it's extremely hard to work with unless you're recording to midi using a midi-compatible keyboard.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #50
Level 2 - Poster

I'm a Mac user, and I've been using Logic for the past 5 years. It's the most 'logical' (pun intended) interface for recording organic audio. I actually record to an all-in-one and then export the separate instrumental tracks to Logic, and then record vocals directly to Logic. I use an old-school all-in-one Yamaha machine because it can handle 8 simultaneous inputs better than my MacBook Pro ever will.

Also, if you'd like to make rap beats and whatnot, FL Studio 10 is amazing and extremely user friendly (only for windows though, so you'd need bootcamp on a mac)

I do like Reason for beats as well, but the interface can be cumbersome to figure out at first.

Logic has really, really nice samples for midi as well, but it's extremely hard to work with unless you're recording to midi using a midi-compatible keyboard.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply