opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 01. The Grudge
User Name
Password
Old 08-27-2005, 09:03 PM   #121
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3796
Re: Maynard Hates Mars Volta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWangedMan
I don't know what is about the Mars Volta that makes people who don't like them hate the fact that other people do.
I think it's because people feel so frustrated that other people are genuinely inspired and enjoy true art, when they themselves are stuck in a fruitless cycle of pretention.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:33 PM   #122
the crybaby

Bincount™: 1562

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinegar_tom
I think it's because people feel so frustrated that other people are genuinely inspired and enjoy true art, when they themselves are stuck in a fruitless cycle of pretention.
Yeah, that's probably it.

-OftenLost
Old 08-27-2005, 09:56 PM   #123
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinegar_tom
Well, I agree and disagree. To define something as true art is pure opinion. Although I do appreciate the music of TMV, I am not going to criticize someone for not appreciating it. That’s why art is so beautiful and unique. It relates differently to each one of us. But I do feel that applying a rule system to art is unfair. But what do I know, I’ve had to much wine.
Cheers.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:48 PM   #124
You got bonked.

Bincount™: 1599

The last two cd's have been awesome. They keep getting better and better.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:57 AM   #125
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 22

The Mars Volta and Tool both rock. It took a while for TMV to grow on me, just like Tool, but now I love both of them. I even love At the drive in... But I like them before TMV even existed. Who ever writes their songs (both tmv and atdi) surely has a way with words and musical creativity. The thing is, I have a fetish for complex and/or experimental music. SOAD, Tool, TMV, ATDI, etc....

Sadly, my band-mates do not share my affinity for experimentation.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:50 AM   #126

Bincount™: 6

QUOTE - As a drummer, I'll tell you, their drumming was not very good.

Well as a non-drummer who enjoys seeing live music, I was unbelievably impressed by the fact Jon Theodore can smash away at those things, at such a speed, in such a "disorganised" (according to some) fashion. How would you describe Frank Zappa's song composition?

Never before have I seen a drummer hammer away non-stop like that for almost two hours. And I mean non-stop. Maybe John Bonham back in the day, Mike Portnoy I rate highly, but even still both of these guys are able to have a breather at some stage.....even if it only be for a second or two.

In terms of speed, I would assume some punk drummers and proper death double bassers could keep up that sort of speed, but to me there's just something furious and compelling about Jon's drumming, and this band in general.

The lyrics confuse the shit out me, and sometimes it seems as if this complex vocab is overused a little. I mean look at Tool, it's not the intricacy of the spoken word rather the underlying symbolism and philosophy that makes the lyrics intriguing. But that would be the only way I'd fault the Mars Volta.

All these twats saying they "hate" them is a bit much personally. I'd like to hear the top ten bands of these individuals and see what's going wrong.

I'll go into bat for the Mars Volta any day, and I am very pleased at the thought of seeing them again on home shores this January.

A.

p.s - What a bullshit thread.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:24 AM   #127
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

hey, what is going on? first opeth, now mars volta. listen, it doesn't matter! if you don't like them, fair to you. if you like them, swell for you. they're both obviously not terrible bands. they have a sound and they do something kind of interesting. if it's not for you, that's fine. there's no reason to be defensive. arguing about things like this is what sets us apart. we should instead be trying to come to the level of the person we're talking to. that's called compassion and understanding. nobody's a ****** for liking a different band.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:02 PM   #128
The Lube

Bincount™: 5355

danny said he likes mars volta and he would tour with em, so =\
Old 11-01-2005, 08:56 PM   #129

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide ChrYst
Anybody heard this? I was swimming around in the mars volta forum over at www.thecomatorium.com and I found a place where some kids said maynard won't even ride on the same bus as TMV during the tour.

Anybody heard about this?
Just to re-hash this thread once again.......

Last night I had a dream in which a group of friends of mine had taken Danney Carey out for a bite to eat.

At the dinner table, among other things, I asked him about how much the boys from Tool rate TMV. He replied something about their style being "furious" (a subconscious reclamation of a point I'd made in a previous post about Theodore's drumming) and that he had no qualms with the band.

He then abruptly said "Look I'll give you their phone number if you want", and I said "sweet".

It was at this point he didn't really feel like answering any other questions and my dreamscape changed.

So that solves it.

Not.

A.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #130
On Probation

Bincount™: 7922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs Magee View Post
its because the mars volta sucks.
Quote:
because they suck, duh...
Quote:
you have to respect a band that sucks that bad and still has the balls to keep making music.

actually, this is a joke. i have only heard like 2 tmv songs, and i found them to be extremely boring, so that is my reasoning for ripping on them. they could be really good.
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinegar_tom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWangedMan View Post
I don't know what is about the Mars Volta that makes people who don't like them hate the fact that other people do.
this.

Ps: sorry for the old bump
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #131
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

So does maynard hate TMV or not? I really need to know because I like Maynard but if he hates Mars Volta then I'll have to burn all the CDs I've bought, delete all TMV from my phone and sacrifice a toe to restore my loyalty to Maymay.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #132
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

^
LOL
Old 03-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #133
TOD
Banned.

Bincount™: 310

I don't see Maynard listening to The Mars Volta and rocking out to it, but I doubt he Hates any band. That's a pretty big waste of time, Hating something. You can just go find something else to love, but that's my opinion.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #134
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

I'm pretty sure Maynard hates The FooFighters

I'm also pretty sure Maynard hates plenty of things, people and kinds of music/bands.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #135
TOD
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post

I'm also pretty sure Maynard hates plenty of things, people and kinds of music/bands.
I'm sure Maynard has said something along the lines of hate not Being an Energy he or Tool deals with, but that it is anger and aggression. Also, he has mentioned that all the things he dislikes about other people (I would include Bands here) he writes down and then turns the finger around. You're just wrong. Go watch some interviews and listen to Lateralus again. Let Go, Let Go.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #136
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

I can't believe I'm actually posting here, as this is pretty much the worst thread ever, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post
I seem to remember him and APC being interviewed before some awards show years ago, and he said he was looking forward to the Foo Fighters' performance that night.

Quote:
its because the mars volta sucks.
TMV rules. They're wayyy better than Why? (and yes, I like both).
<ru5ty> wat
Old 03-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #137
TOD
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Chains View Post
this is pretty much the worst thread ever
I'm sure there are worse, but this one does suck balls.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #138
Level 10 - Vehement

I've just sterilized my knife... please answer my question.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #139
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

lol this thread
Old 03-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #140
TOD
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
I've just sterilized my knife... please answer my question.
yes, no, and maybe.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #141
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Chains View Post
I seem to remember him and APC being interviewed before some awards show years ago, and he said he was looking forward to the Foo Fighters' performance that night.
I'm sure he was kidding. I've heard Maynard bash on The Foo Fighters repeatedly in interviews.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #142
TOD
Banned.

The Melvins too.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:12 AM   #143
Banned.

Bincount™: 269

tool is my favourite band, but i'm embarassed by adam's performance. omar rodriguez-lopez of tmv is by orders of magnitude a better guitarist than adam in every respect; technically, psychedelically, creatively... i mean, adam's riffs are pitifully bland and uninteresting - many tool songs are just one and the same riff played over and over with varying degrees of distortion, palm-muting and fuzz.

adam's guitar work quickly loses its lustre - omar's does not.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #144
Level 10 - Vehement

Wow, completely beg to differ. I think I'm gonna go ahead and fly off the proverbial handle and say that has got to be one of the most short sighted (serious) comments I've read in a while. While I can see what you are trying to say and agree that Omar is certainly excellent at composition and technically more proficient a player than Adam.... to say one is better than the other, that Adam's performance is "embarrassing", that he isn't as creative, that Omar DOESN'T get boring...

I love both guitarists immensely but 2 things that piss me off...

1. When musicianship and artistic pursuit are equated to a pissing contest or some variant of competition rather than what it IS which is expression, no more, no less.

2. When people state their opinion as a matter of fact.

If you think Adam is boring, that's fine. But shit, don't say one is better than the other. Music is Art, Art is Expression. That kind of attitude is sort of thing that would cripple music because it basically perpetuates the idea... "Sorry Johnny, I know you love playing the drums, but you just aren't technically proficient enough, no one is going to respect you as a player. You might as well just give up now."

I happen to find Adam's tonal control to be exquisite. His riffs may be redundant or predictable, but I personally feel like I can hear every ounce of passion behind his playing just because of the articulation of his tone, the bends, his wah, pick-scraps, what-have-ya.... the man sculpts sound with the best of 'em.

edit: PS just wanted to add i'm running on about 10 hours of sleep in the past 54 hours of my life... you suck dude.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 12-24-2010 at 11:08 AM..
Old 12-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #145
Banned.

of course i'm not stating my opinion as fact, i'm just stating my opinion

by saying one is better than the other, of course i mean i like one better than the other

i agree that adam sculpts sound with them best of 'em - it's just that all of adam's sculptures look the same, whereas omar actually brings some innovation into the game. can you honestly say that adam has improved in any way from lateralus to 10, 000 days? i mean, jambi is one fucking note, the pot is two fucking notes, the second being an octave higher than the first, lost keys might as well be a beginner exercise in broken triads, and rosetta stoned is utterly dull - not to mention the rehashed riffs in vicarious and right in two... i mean, omar certainly has a tendency to wank, and loses sight of the bigger musical picture in some of his live performances, but he's constantly bringing new ideas and new sounds to the table. adam is certainly innovating the sound of his guitar, but he presented his most creative riffs during the undertow era (of course, in my opinion - does this really need to be stated every time?) and has been riding on one or two note repeated-riff bullshit ever since

i don't mean to conflate musical expression with a pissing contest, but i mean, c'mon, after playing for 20 years, you'd think adam could move past drop-d tuning and power chords, yeah?
Old 12-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #146
Level 10 - Vehement

Maybe, but that's what the dude likes. He has, at least in brief glimpses, moved away from drop-d. Parabola namely. Vicarious is a lot more complicated than it sounds, especially that opening riff. Anyone attempting to play it as just two riffs repeating in whatever pattern is doing it wrong. Adam has said he's actually playing a section in 7, runs it in a loop and then plays a riff in 5 on top of that. The push and pull sound of the riff comes from the riff in 5 coming into and out of phase with the riff in 7 underneath. Also his pacing of his understated "two-note" melodies do take some practice to get down since they are often fit to some wobbly time signature.

More-over really the way I feel about Adam is that in the context of Tool, he doesn't have to be, and probably shouldn't be anything more than what he is. I personally feel that if you were to somehow transplant (for the sake of arguement) Omar's ability into Adam's creative direction... Tool would sound like complete garbage. Danny and Adam would be battling for their place, Justin would get completely lost in the mix and Maynard would probably end up being forced to match a melody that one of the three was playing because there wouldn't be anymore room, compositionally speaking, for Maynard to find a new melody that swims on top of the music.

Also I think, calling Jambi and one-note song, and The Pot a two-note song is a gross oversight. That's only looking at a portion of a song, or in the pot's case, a portion of the opening riff. The riffs he has for the breakdown and outro are pretty creative if you ask me. Not necessarily something rehashed.

Adam is exactly what he has to be for Tool to be Tool.

Mars Volta is Omar.

Both are awesome, but they get the job done in two completely different ways.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:58 AM   #147
On Probation

Quote:

Mars Volta is Omar + Cedric
fixed.

also, has anyone listened to Omar's "Cizana del Corazon" or something like that?

fucking fantastic.

edit: imo
Old 12-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #148
Level 10 - Vehement

Yeah but even Omar gives Cedric direction on lyrics, melodies or at the very least concepts. He's said though that for their follow up to Octahedron that he will be letting Cedric do his own thing. So, even still... TMV is like 95% Omar.

Also Mosis, I'm gonna go ahead and drop this whole thing. I'm borderline trollin anyways, so I'll just leave it at, I don't think you are giving Adam a fair shake. The bro knows what he's doing, hes got passion and he plays with passion. We can't ask for much more than that. But you've got every right to dislike his playing.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #149
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

I have become a Tool lover mainly due to my son liking them and me tuning in to see what they were about. I just watched a TMV video on youtube and I think they suck ass and have 0 talent. I've never heard of them before and now I know why.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #150
Banned.

Quote:
Yeah but even Omar gives Cedric direction on lyrics, melodies or at the very least concepts. He's said though that for their follow up to Octahedron that he will be letting Cedric do his own thing. So, even still... TMV is like 95% Omar.

Also Mosis, I'm gonna go ahead and drop this whole thing. I'm borderline trollin anyways, so I'll just leave it at, I don't think you are giving Adam a fair shake. The bro knows what he's doing, hes got passion and he plays with passion. We can't ask for much more than that. But you've got every right to dislike his playing.
i didn't realize we were fighting. i'll have you know that i bought new speakers, and i've been hearing tool like i never have before - in particular, i'm paying more attention to the quality of adam's tone and the texture of his sound, and it's incredibly intricate and beautiful. i think you "presented a case" for adam, as it were, very well and i don't think you're trolling.

i always thought TMV were equal parts omar and cedric
Old 01-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #151
Level 10 - Vehement

Cool
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #152
Level 10 - Vehement

Haha, this myth is BUSTED!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #153
Level 7 - Loquacious

hahaha i swear hes watching
Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #154
Level 7 - Loquacious

next he'll be playing some rollins
Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #155
On Probation

Quote:
Haha, this myth is BUSTED!
thank GOD! how can anyone not like TMV? that's just a person I don't wanna know, really :D
Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #156
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by crincled View Post
thank GOD! how can anyone not like TMV? that's just a person I don't wanna know, really :D
I know right? Thank god this thread has been resolved now. Unfortunately it was too late for my toes :(
Old 02-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #157
Banned.

nicely done
Old 02-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #158
On Probation

wrong do it again, time to go, I dunno I was very drunk at the time, time to go, this is the united states calling are we reaching.... time to go, can loca ride, Mrs. Pilchett who's that? time to go, time to go, time to go, wrong do it again, look mummy there's an airplane up in the sky, time to go, time to go, wrong do it again, I hate you you fucking dirty white ******, I CANT KEEP HOLDING ON TO WHAT YOU GOT WHEN ALL YOU GOT IS HURT
Old 02-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #159
On Probation

n*Gg*R
Old 02-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #160
On Probation

n*Gg*R lying no good L Y I N G N*gG*er