opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Upcoming and Unreleased
User Name
Password
Old 12-01-2002, 05:56 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Concert Projections

Ive been to 6 Tool shows within the past year and a half, and the one thing i always love watching are the projections.... I personnaly dont remember all of them though, so i think Tool fans in general need a place to come together to remember and discuss these projections (hence this post)
I'm listing what i can remember here:

Pre concert: Grids

Lights going out: Circle of Eyes

Sober: Some form of inkblots with naked images on it????

Grudge: Red eye with some metranome sort of thing above it.

Stinkfist: Regular video with added sections

46&2/H.: dont remember

Schism: Dont remember

Parabol/bola: Regular Video

Aenema/Opiate: dont remember much, although a frightning image of a giant asteroid hurtling at Earth during Aenema sticks in my mind

Intermission: bouncing head with skin peeling off and on

Disposition/Reflection/Triad: Dont know about triad or disposition....but the Flaming red bird with eyes on the wings during reflection was my favorite..... also during the latest tour they showed a praying mantis walking in circles around a geometric symbol (flower of life prehaps?)

Lateralis: dont remember

Personnally, i loved the Bird during refletion.... although i never did any drugs during any of the shows, i found staring at that screen during reflection, one could almost become lost in the colors.... really cool stuff.... anyway, any additions or comments are more then welcome... spiral out
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 04:43 PM   #2
ry.
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 58
a little help

h. - the snake eating itself over and over again
46&2 - the maggot-looking thing with a child's face on it
schism - video (some scenes looped to go to the music)
Ænema -many things,the smoke box,an intrepretative dancer
Disposition - a circular door the rotated open
Traid - ? i watched Danny the whole song.

i love this thread idea, i think it'll help everyone remember parts of thier respective concerts. the live show is so overwhelming, its hard to remember eveything

p.s. does anyone remember the projections for undertow??
Old 12-02-2002, 06:31 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
www.screaminglobster.com

check out "gallery"
Old 12-02-2002, 08:04 PM   #4

Bincount™: 6
Here's what I remember from the show in Biloxi:

Sober -- Lateralus circle of eyes / Concerntric circles and static / Eye surgery

The Grudge -- Guy with scalpel slitting open his 3rd eye / Eye and needle thing / Puffy Guy / Tongue passing between two mouths

(-) ions and Stinkfist -- Stinkfirst video

H. -- Snake eating itself

Schism -- Rabbits (?) marching in line, king or head rabbit looking out of tower window / forest of lines

Parabol/a -- video almost in sync with the song

Opiate -- Static with people formations moving through it / Timothy Leary portion

Intermission -- Weird jack-like things floating around / Mans head fades in and begins stretching

disposition -- Naked people floating / Lateralus Eye comes on at the end

Reflection -- Phoenix with eyes on wingtips / praying mantis with geometric design eye

Triad -- Salival man / Tree of Life

Lateralus -- Spiral / Turning faceless head

There was more to it, but that's all I can remember...
Old 12-02-2002, 10:05 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

wow, you guys remember all that, maybe i was too into the band, or maybe it was the "legal or not substance"

Ghost
Old 12-02-2002, 10:25 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Sorry, I have nothing to offer for the concert projections because you guys have already posted anything I might of remembered, but I notice that you guys didn't put down Third Eye as a song they played. They played it here in Phoenix and had both the Timothy Leary AND the Bill Hicks clips (in that order). First when they played the Leary clip, everyone cheered and then the place was quiet, seemed to be listening to him. When Bill Hicks went on about a minute later, all the people on drugs cheered, which was probably the whole building, not including me. I just had to add that little tidbit, because it might show up on the DVD.....I kmow I'm off topic again.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:35 PM   #7

Also, during the 2001 tour when they played The Patient there was the video of that half-woman holding hands with the other two women who were walking in circles. That was a cool idea but that was the only video for that song, so it got a bit boring after the first couple of minutes
Old 12-03-2002, 04:47 PM   #8
meh.

Bincount™: 1074
Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet
Also, during the 2001 tour when they played The Patient there was the video of that half-woman holding hands with the other two women who were walking in circles. That was a cool idea but that was the only video for that song, so it got a bit boring after the first couple of minutes
They used that for Pushit some nights as well, and used it for Pushit during some of the 95-98/99 shows.

Thanks.
Chris Brightwell // moderator
Old 12-04-2002, 07:19 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Not sure if these have been mentioned, but I remember in one song (I think Sober) there were these two naked woman standing together, cornered by what could only be described as a mechanical tenticle prodding them whilst they freak out.

Disturbing stuff.

I also remember a constant sequence of film that involved the camera getting flushed down a toilet, "strafing" passed a subway terminal thing, then sliding pass a wall that had pictures on it. There was more to the film and it just kept looping onto itself.

Last edited by Grommell; 12-04-2002 at 07:21 AM..
Old 12-04-2002, 09:18 AM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Grommell
Not sure if these have been mentioned, but I remember in one song (I think Sober) there were these two naked woman standing together, cornered by what could only be described as a mechanical tenticle prodding them whilst they freak out..
yes, i had that during Sober at my show.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:28 AM   #11
ry.
Level 8 - Vociferous

the pictures

the pictures on the wall was during reflection,and sober at the show i went to included the black and white "spiral eyes" picture through most of the projection.but does anyone remember undertow??
Old 12-04-2002, 10:00 AM   #12
predicticus maximus

Bincount™: 2
Bird

The BIRD OF FLAMES!!!
i cant remember what song it was, it might have been reflection, but there wasa bird in flames, it was so amazing, and the eye in the forehead before sober, the eye in the hole during the patient, whooo memories, the twirling 'chandalier' type things in dispostion, woo someone help me.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:49 PM   #13

I haven't had the priviledge of hearing undertow live yet, so I can't say what projections they have for that. I wanna know what they had for Third Eye and Cold and Ugly, seeing how they played those in Baton Rouge instead of Biloxi (damn it).

Anyways, I also remember during the 2001 tour they did a little feedback deal before Disposition. It had the Undertow ribcage on the screens, and it looked like it would take a breath, then the ribs would kind of float there for a few seconds, then it would take another breath. Then the whole thing started fading out, then it would fly in and do it over again. Really cool.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:12 PM   #14

Glad this post is catching on, even going to 5 shows this year, i still find there is so much to look at it seems impossible to remember much as i spend a lot of time looking at danny in awe.. Its good us fans can come together and remember collectively.......sorry for any songs left out at in my first post, as im well aware they have played Third Eye, Cold and Ugly, Commando, The Patient, Ticks and Leeches, Flood and 4 degrees at points during 2002... with the exception of The patient, i was not able to see any of the above songs so i could not include them.... Also i know tool changed some of the visuals from the summer tour to the fall tour and even from show to show during the tour..... for example, the fall snake eating itself during H./46&2 is a more up-close shot then summer, and i dont remember the preying mantis during reflection from the summer tour at all...
Old 12-04-2002, 05:05 PM   #15
ry.
Level 8 - Vociferous

ticks and leeches

not very many people saw ticks and leeches but they have it on www.deadohiosky.net its all kinda of things from the smokebox (same one used for many songs) and a girl in a "glowing blue" almost a negative look, very cool.worth checking out
Old 12-04-2002, 10:59 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
I do remember during Lateralus that they had something that looked like the twisted DNA, first being black and white, then red and yellow.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:01 PM   #17
ry.
Level 8 - Vociferous

....sniff....

it seems like this thread is dying.....sniff sniff...i dont want it to die......
anyways to keep it alive, it seems like there have been some differences in my personal tool experiences and other's account of their personal experiences. i think we should all post our recollections of songs already mentioned IF they are different than described, i may be speaking for myself here but i am curious if anything changed throughout the summer and fall tours. Or better yet it seems we have some international friends on here as well, so you guys (and girls) need to get involved here and tell us what kind of differences in projections (if any) there were over there.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:30 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

the images during reflection when tool payed in memphis last year was like a greenish bathroom scene...and a mirror (cracked maybe)

they also completely teased us....the undertow ribs came on and everyone went nuts...naturally assuming something from undertow was about to be played while adam noodled around a bit with something sounding a bit like eon blue apocalypse...and it turned into pushit

Last edited by Misoanthropos; 12-13-2002 at 01:34 AM..
Old 12-13-2002, 06:55 AM   #19

Undertow

I also had this undertow thingy happen to me. I was at a show in Richmond VA during the summer tour. During the intermission the undertow ribs came up instead of the bouncing head. Of course I,being crazy, was thinking that when they came back from inermission prehaps we would get something off undertow seeing as how they skipped the patient that night..... of course that didnt happen though
Old 12-15-2002, 06:53 AM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

To keep this thread alive a very small post

The 46+2 animation is that finger thingy.

HaLo- LuNAtic riDe-BuY it noW

Old 12-15-2002, 10:54 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

A couple of things I remember from this summer's European tour:

During H, they had a very cool projection of (I think) two naked women swimming through some sort of water which changed color constantly.....very serene....

And something I particularly enjoyed were the projections during Parabola...all kinds of geometrical symbols with these amazing colors.

The only vid that I thought was kinda dull is the Parabola thingy they used during Triad. But for the most part, I never get tired of watching Tools visuals. Mindblowing...
Old 01-11-2003, 12:42 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Under Third and Ugly

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Norfleet
[B]I haven't had the priviledge of hearing undertow live yet, so I can't say what projections they have for that. I wanna know what they had for Third Eye and Cold and Ugly, seeing how they played those in Baton Rouge instead of Biloxi (damn it).

The Undertow I saw in 01 had the black and white enlarging circles and staticy background screen that you may have seen during Sober. Cold and Ugly had the chromosome with a face like in Forty Six & 2. And Third Eye had something I had never seen before. I faintly remember a deep blue watery background with a yellow rotating flower.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:51 AM   #23
ATG
Level 4 - Thinker

Third Eye

The Third Eye visuals reminded me of those old Led Zeppelin music videos, you know, like "Whole Lotta Love?"

Lots of psychadelic colors and those little bubbles...kind of looked like the screen was boiling.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but the opening of The Grudge had that clock looking thing with the giant human eye in the middle of it.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:25 PM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

I remember during the fall '01 tour, during reflection they had a crazy computer animated nightmarish scene. from what i can remember there was an old checkered looking floor that was dirty with blood and other unknown stuff on it, possibly with body parts scattered around. there was a toilet stall that the camera kept going back to, and there might have been a guy with a knife in the room. there was a guy with no head waving, and i remember the camera would jump around and track to different parts of the room (the walls, objects around the room), the toilet, the guy waving, and it kept speeding up to rediculous speeds, until the slow guitar part came in and kept repeating for like 5 minutes, where the scene of the guy waving got slower and sloower, annd slooooowweeeerr. then the guys had their intermission.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:24 AM   #25
Level 3 - Talker

london show 2002

this is what i remember from the 13th may 2002 brixton show (i'm surprised i remember this much) i wasn't really watching the band - just the big ol' screens, although i remember maynard looking directly at me at one point which was pretty weird.

Triad:
rotating man from Salival then just weird colours and psychedlic things, and the spiky things from the Parabol video.

The Grudge:
the eye with crossed syringes (from the old t-shirt) and the spinning head guy

The Patient:
dancing shemales (i remember this from a different bootleg i have, it may not have been what i saw on the night)

Parabola:
peeling layered arms and alex grey/eye flame bits.

Reflection: i have no idea for most of this i was whacked out for the whole song (not on drugs though, just the music) but i remember toilets and picture frames

Ions:
the electricity bit from Stinkfist vid looped

Flood:
smoke and water

that's all i remember...
Old 01-28-2003, 04:24 AM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Ok ok ok you cant forget the finger in the eye bit which appeared in stinkfist, which i had thought i had seen in another song in a previous concert. Ok Maybe theyre just playing with us or i like that part to much i just see it all the time.....
Old 02-12-2003, 09:15 PM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

More projections.

I saw TOOL 6 times in a year...but I recall during Aenima, there were stock films of an assembly line and robot arms welding metal together, there were telephone operators repeated infinatley in two undulating lines, and the liquid drop with the big splash before the final release. During Ticks & Leeches, there were girls with enormous fake breasts gyrating upside-down and rightside-up in different colors, and then for the chorus the two girls were walking with the one in the rear pulling the lead girl's braided hair towards her. I saw a couple of instrumental jams with random m.c. escher-esque blocks floating past the screen in psychadelic colors. During Disposition, an image of a camera lens interior -the device that changes aperture- opening and closing.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:47 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

i remeber in the wellington show april 2002 and chridtchurch 2001 (in new zealand) during Ænima there was a lot of water scenes and there were these 2 naked chicks, underwater, and the looked like they were treading water but it was in high speed. i also remebr the bathroom thing with all those lumps of meat that looked like the growth on the guy's back in the stinkfists' vid.

is there anywhere where we can get those videos from. do u think they'll have em as just video files in the new dvd?
Old 02-22-2003, 06:20 PM   #29
guy
Level 4 - Thinker

i always thought the worm thing in the 46&2 projection was a botfly larva (a parasite) suffering cause it doesnt have something to feed off of.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:56 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

A;ex Grey

My favorite Alex Grey Painting is the one that dropped down when they played "the Grudge". You can find it on his website, it is the one whith the women with the rectangular shaped forehead, and off to the side of her head you can make out a skull, then aroudn the temple of the skull there is a baby... fucking awesome......
Old 04-01-2003, 07:33 PM   #31
Bay
Level 2 - Poster

at my show during the grudge in addition to the projections, the had big ass back drop that was quazi phsycadelic it look like two big mythology heads and it was bright and blue and shimmering (couldnt resist) but no really i was pretty cool
Old 04-20-2003, 09:46 PM   #32

The projections and effects that went on during The Grudge on the 2002 summer/fall tour kicked ass. It was awesome have the Grudge began, with the blank backdrop falling down after the little lighting explosion type thing. The falling backdrop kinda looked like flames that moved down to unveil the good ol' Interbeing backdrop.

The projections were sweet, with the head from the beginning of dissectional.com, going inside its mouth, and when the first part ends with "..your scarlet letterman" the face makes the evil grin kind of in sync with the beat. Like the spinning syringes infront of the eye

The Stinkfist- video clips

Schism- The pacman-like heads walking in unison, with tubes connecting each pacman with the one behind through the mouth

Parabola - full video, band attempted to play along with the video

H - The snake eating itself. going mach3 at the end (urubolous ring? )]

Disposition - the nude people swimming slowly

Reflection - The ant/arachnid/mantis crawling over a hexagram, that phoenix-like thing

Lateralus - The single spinal cord in the shape of a downward spiral, spinning heads, the nude people in water, black and white spirals, lots of spines at the end
Old 04-24-2003, 04:07 PM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Location: The middle of freakin nowhere,also known as Maryland
I went to a show in Baltimore,Md over the summer, and the projections alone were amazing. Even without Tool playing, it would have been an amazing show, just watching those images. Although I cannot remember exactly what was shown, I remember they were rather...disturbing... images,and I was amazed. They just brought out strange thoughts that almost made it hard to concentrate on the music, which kind of sucked. Im not sure if Im the only one or not (probably not, though) but I had a hard time even just watching Maynard Keenan's odd dance moves. Like I said, I was just....in awe I guess.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:02 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

The last time I saw them, I got to sit right behind the guy who was controlling the projections (NOT Camella Grace). It was a very cool experience. I got to see how he layered the various parts to create the visual (an example would be when there is the film of the naked interpreters with the colorful blobs on tp of them, these were separate layers, independently controlled. The looping of these two layers independently is how it seemed to be a long clip, even though it was pretty short). I also got to see some visuals before they came up (I was probably one of five people who knew when the band was about to start because I saw him cuing up the circle of eyes).

Another interesting aspect was when he was controlling the loops that are synched with the pulse of the song. He was essentially playing along with them, with an a/v board as his instrument.

Once things really got going, there were far too many things to watch at once, so I didn't pay much attention to him as time went on. But I felt it added a dimention to the show that I hadn't seen previously. Thanks, folks, for these recollections of the visuals. Thinking about them has made me relive my Tool concerts, which is always fun.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:30 AM   #35
Level 3 - Talker

I don't remember during what song it was, but I recall the body of a man, then it would swell up to a bloated size that resembled a baby, and shrink back down really quickly.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:54 PM   #36
meh.

Bincount™: 1074
Re: Concert Projections

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoedtman
I don't remember during what song it was, but I recall the body of a man, then it would swell up to a bloated size that resembled a baby, and shrink back down really quickly.
The Grudge.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:07 PM   #37
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I dont have really anything to reply. I was at the oct. 18 2002 Kalamazoo show, they did play third eye, and all I remeber from that one was of the face cutting his third eye open. I was very interesting.
I was paying a lot of attention to the videos and not the band in the begginning and not soo much by the end, so I dont rember what was being played durung Lateralus, but the vids I have are of the endless spine loop over and over.
I must say Tool flawlessly merges many forms of art into one amazing experience.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:34 PM   #38
Banned.

Bincount™: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy Killing
I went to a show in Baltimore,Md over the summer, and the projections alone were amazing. Even without Tool playing, it would have been an amazing show, just watching those images. Although I cannot remember exactly what was shown, I remember they were rather...disturbing... images,and I was amazed. They just brought out strange thoughts that almost made it hard to concentrate on the music, which kind of sucked. Im not sure if Im the only one or not (probably not, though) but I had a hard time even just watching Maynard Keenan's odd dance moves. Like I said, I was just....in awe I guess.

i know exactly what you mean about how the images make it hard to concentrate on the music... i kept getting lost in the images and sorta zoning out for some songs... but i do remember during cold and ugly this picture of a girl hanging on a wall and a maggot crawling through the picture.

also one of the trippiest visuals i saw was a headless, armless man waving at the crowd in a old sorta gym class bathroom.. i dont remember what song it was for though...
Old 08-02-2004, 07:51 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

Just reading the descriptions shot memories back in my head

I remember on Lateralus there was a big spiralling image, and when you looked closely it was thousands of people sitting at work desks hurdling through space..

one of the most beautiful moments for me was the end of Reflection when that 7-pointed design was on the screen and Adam was trailing off alone with that guitar line, and the image began to chop up, and I was flooded with so much sweet haunting energy I began crying.

ive seen Tool 4 times... i really hope i get to see them again. their live shows change me. ive never experienced anything like them.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: