opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Upcoming and Unreleased
User Name
Password
Old 04-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #41
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: The Video

the pic of maynard sitting at the desk could be a still from the video? the band have done stills before and it seems a nice symbolic set for part of a video?
also fits with the song
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:12 PM   #42
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse.O_o
the pic of maynard sitting at the desk could be a still from the video? the band have done stills before and it seems a nice symbolic set for part of a video?
also fits with the song
good observation, could be likely
Old 04-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #43
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 150

The song will play over a collection of archive footage of war and destruction, contrasting with images of decandence and plenty, while at the bottom of the screen a fake ticker gives the impression of a news broadcast.

Oh wait...
Old 04-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #44
Virgin colada, no rum

Bincount™: 12673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyfunball
Indeed. The claymation was very much a style adopted from another artist (happy hunting there)
Artists, The Brothers Quay.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:40 PM   #45
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

tool havent appeared in a video since the blurry images in sober

i doubt this one will break the trend

probably all kinds of trainwreck imagery

does anyone know the actors adam worked with (if any) ?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:40 PM   #46
On Probation

Bincount™: 1733

They're gunna take the footage from the 'Imagine' and just use that.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #47
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

to me, videos from each particular album have resembled each other (hush is the easiest to tell apart, undertow has heavy stop motion, aenima was all blue-ish and a lot of non-stop motion, lateralus's videos had a very different feel as well) - so i think the new video will carry on change (like the song itself has from previous material) and it'll stand on its own.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #48
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 59
Re: IS the video out monday too?

i hope the video features ashley simpson. i'm keepin my fingers crossed!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #49
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: IS the video out monday too?

i wish
Old 04-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #50

Bincount™: 7
Video

Does anyone know when is it gonna be released?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #51

Bincount™: 8
Re: Video

ummm... no
Old 04-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #52
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

No, but if you look at adam's myspace icon it depicts him sculpting a work that I think will probably be in the video. It resembles a sea of wrinkles with a face coming out of the middle . Any thoughts about what the video might contain, or what the format of the video will be. Personally, I hope that it is all animation/claymation with no real people or objects in it. Please Discuss...
Old 04-16-2006, 09:59 PM   #53

Bincount™: 8

i hope it is the band playing on a stage..... at coachella....
Old 04-16-2006, 10:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a big stupid dumbass
No, but if you look at adam's myspace icon it depicts him sculpting a work that I think will probably be in the video. It resembles a sea of wrinkles with a face coming out of the middle . Any thoughts about what the video might contain, or what the format of the video will be. Personally, I hope that it is all animation/claymation with no real people or objects in it. Please Discuss...
so, you don't like either Schism nor Parabola videos?

Edit: nor Stinkfist?

Last edited by F!end; 04-16-2006 at 10:09 PM..
Old 04-16-2006, 10:07 PM   #55

Bincount™: 14

Quote:
wrong......that face is freddy kruger.....read the title below the picture
Old 04-16-2006, 10:08 PM   #56
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch it like an AEnima

beat me to it
Old 04-16-2006, 10:08 PM   #57
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
No, but if you look at adam's myspace icon it depicts him sculpting a work that I think will probably be in the video. It resembles a sea of wrinkles with a face coming out of the middle .
would you be referring to freddy krueger by any chance?
Old 04-16-2006, 10:32 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejeff
i think it's going to be a sci fi thriller with fucking amazing costumed vampires/demons and zombies
they are going to infest some area and people are going to be running for their lives..
we of course will love to watch it because of the meaning of the song
you mean the meaning that YOU gave to it
Old 04-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #59
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 7297

Quote:
Originally Posted by F!end
so, you don't like either Schism nor Parabola videos?

Edit: nor Stinkfist?

to be honest I like the claymations way more than the live actors. Schism, Stinkfist, Aenema all seemed to be made by college film students. I'm not saying they aren't good in their own respect, I like Parabola for my own reasons, I just think the claymation fits tools music better. It's a little ruff, definately not what you would expect in a music video, and it gives the videos a very dark feel to them.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:52 PM   #60

Bincount™: 14

i think the stinkfist video set to vicarious mite be cool
Old 04-16-2006, 10:55 PM   #61
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

Since the song's lyrics are more outright and less metaphorical I'm really interested in seeing if tool is going to take the same approach as they do with their other videos of if it's going to be something new. (I hope to god its not them rocking out)
Old 04-17-2006, 12:08 AM   #62
Banned.

Bincount™: 10

what is Adam's myspace addy?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:15 AM   #63
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfASandwidch
Since the song's lyrics are more outright and less metaphorical I'm really interested in seeing if tool is going to take the same approach as they do with their other videos of if it's going to be something new. (I hope to god its not them rocking out)
Considering Adam wasn't on the Promo tour with the rest of the band and solely working on the video, I'm pretty sure it wont feature a performance by the band.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:30 AM   #64
On Probation

Bincount™: 30

i have no idea what adam will do for the music video to Vicarious.

to me the song has energy and catchy cool riffs, but it doesn't have the same toolish slow emotion and energy in the music. Also, the lyrics are more direct and less subtle.

i feel Vicarious could be a hard song to make a typical tool music video for. the song is a strong rock song, but not so strong in the artsy properties, which means it might be hard to make a artsy, cool, wierd music video for the song.

this is obviously my opinion guys. just see this song as possibly similar to a system of a down style music video, obvious political metaphors etc.

who agrees/disagrees?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:40 AM   #65
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 177

I read somewhere it's due to air sometime mid May, which seems rather odd, considering the video is of "Vicarious" which is a single promoting the album, so it should be released BEFORE the album itself. Meh, probably gonna release a DVD with the video in a few months/years (Parabola & Schism tool long enough).
And NO, I doubt there'll be a video of the band performing, they said it themselves, there's nothing there to see. They just come out and play. Hence all the backdrops and projected visuals at shows.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:09 AM   #66
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagomorph
i have no idea what adam will do for the music video to Vicarious.

to me the song has energy and catchy cool riffs, but it doesn't have the same toolish slow emotion and energy in the music. Also, the lyrics are more direct and less subtle.

i feel Vicarious could be a hard song to make a typical tool music video for. the song is a strong rock song, but not so strong in the artsy properties, which means it might be hard to make a artsy, cool, wierd music video for the song.

this is obviously my opinion guys. just see this song as possibly similar to a system of a down style music video, obvious political metaphors etc.

who agrees/disagrees?
Obviously, I have no idea what they actually WILL do, but I certainly don't see this being any more difficult than previous songs. Besides that, you could make it artsy and vague and still project the meaning of the song.

Here's one way it could work. This is lame and cheesy to the point of almost being self-satire, but just think of it as a dummy version of what may actually happen:

Okay, so you have this weird-ass looking bastard who resembles a human except that he's ugly and green and he has a very bizarre and distinct set of eyes. In the corner of his creepy-ass house sits a small dusty table with a complex looking machine covered with tubes and wires and shit. He hooks the machine up to his eyes.

Scene transition to two clay figures that don't really look like the first guy. One of the clay figures has their eyes bulge and eventually fall out, landing below him and slowly liquifying. These eyes are replaced by those of the critter from the opening scene. I really don't feel like coming up with something clever at this point, so just imagine that in one way or another, this character with the new set of eyes is killed.

Sudden flashback to the original character who rips the machine out of his eyes, tilts his head back and starts spewing white goo into the air through his mouth. (The death vid gave him an orgasm, but they can't show it literally, so they come up with a more disgusting way to project it.)

Rinse and repeat until the song ends.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:50 AM   #67
On Probation

Bincount™: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonatedgravy
Obviously, I have no idea what they actually WILL do, but I certainly don't see this being any more difficult than previous songs. Besides that, you could make it artsy and vague and still project the meaning of the song.

Here's one way it could work. This is lame and cheesy to the point of almost being self-satire, but just think of it as a dummy version of what may actually happen:

Okay, so you have this weird-ass looking bastard who resembles a human except that he's ugly and green and he has a very bizarre and distinct set of eyes. In the corner of his creepy-ass house sits a small dusty table with a complex looking machine covered with tubes and wires and shit. He hooks the machine up to his eyes.

Scene transition to two clay figures that don't really look like the first guy. One of the clay figures has their eyes bulge and eventually fall out, landing below him and slowly liquifying. These eyes are replaced by those of the critter from the opening scene. I really don't feel like coming up with something clever at this point, so just imagine that in one way or another, this character with the new set of eyes is killed.

Sudden flashback to the original character who rips the machine out of his eyes, tilts his head back and starts spewing white goo into the air through his mouth. (The death vid gave him an orgasm, but they can't show it literally, so they come up with a more disgusting way to project it.)

Rinse and repeat until the song ends.

yeah but for me, the previous music videos are awesome because it isn't obvious (to me) what they are about. adam even says that the music videos are based on what he feels in the music, in the sound, rather than in the lyrical meaning directly. sure there are correlations between these and they aren't entirely seperate.

with a fairly obvious lyrical meaning to vicarious, the music video could then too be obvious, like the one you described. this would be unlike the older ones which just had wierd shit going on that i didn't understand really. just cool things to watch.

see what i mean?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:52 AM   #68
Level 7 - Loquacious

I suppose, except that Prison Sex in particular was pretty obvious. Same with Schism for that matter.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #69
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch it like an AEnima
my mistake...
Old 04-18-2006, 07:27 AM   #70
Level 8 - Vociferous

Location: Ædinburgh, Scotland MissedLecturesCount™: ∞ YearsOnEarthCount™: 18
Bincount™: 798
Thoguhts on the video

Personally, I think this will be mega with an accopanying video. I'm thinking a deep blue-ish look (sorta like Stinkfist)...can't really think what it will be like apart from that.
Any thoughts?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:34 AM   #71

Re: Thoguhts on the video

for some reason, i picture the band jamming but it's very blurry and distorted and everything moving fast, so you can't really see the band properly...i don't think that'll happen but i wouldn't call them sell outs o if they were in the video
Old 04-18-2006, 07:37 AM   #72
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak03
for some reason, i picture the band jamming but it's very blurry and distorted and everything moving fast, so you can't really see the band properly...i don't think that'll happen but i wouldn't call them sell outs o if they were in the video
I definitely agree with you to an extent. When I hear the song, I don't picture a claymation type video like Prison Sex, but I don't picture anything like Parabola either. I can actually see the band in this video. I'm not really sure how, though.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #73
Level 3 - Talker

i really doubt they would do a "jam" video a la "judith" (allthough that is about the coolest jam video ever). for vicarious i see a video like the video done for "megalomaniac" by incubus... things like war planes flying overhead, armies marching to the kill, and zombified people looking on like junkies looking for a fix.
i think the song has the potential to have thier best video yet.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:45 AM   #74
Level 7 - Loquacious

probavly just a zombie that adam made sitting in front of the tv...in the tv the "imagine"-video by apc...stinkfist II
Old 04-18-2006, 07:47 AM   #75

now that i think about it, the war thingy might work better, since the song is about tragedy
Old 04-18-2006, 07:48 AM   #76
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Wouldn't it be kind of counter-productive to the point of the song to put out a video for television? ..
Old 04-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #77
Cid
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 190

3d computer animation, definitely.
10/23/07 OiNK Never Forget
Old 04-18-2006, 08:04 AM   #78
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 51

probably a bunch of people.. painted purple and made up to look faceless or blind or something.. crawling up and down the walls of a [living] room that looks a lot like that smokebox-ish thing from the new artwork.. watching each other get sucked into the walls..
Old 04-18-2006, 08:35 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. blue cum
probably a bunch of people.. painted purple and made up to look faceless or blind or something.. crawling up and down the walls of a [living] room that looks a lot like that smokebox-ish thing from the new artwork.. watching each other get sucked into the walls..
I'm 101% positive it will be nothing like any of us expect it to be.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #80
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmorteferoz
Wouldn't it be kind of counter-productive to the point of the song to put out a video for television? ..
Ha!

Irony.
"10, 000 Days was everything I wanted Lateralus to be. When I first got it [Lateralus] I felt it was a very very good album but no way up there with my favourites. Then 10, 000 Days came and it was like 'woah'."

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: