opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 02. Eon Blue Apocalypse
User Name
Password
Old 12-04-2002, 05:52 AM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17
adam's dog, thats that

i know this has been said in one of the other post, but some people apparently skipped it... adam's dog's name is "Eon Blue" it had cancer... thus the end of the dog (apocalypse).
i say this song is just a dedication to his dog.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 05:40 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
that makes a lot of sense, but does anyone know why his dog was named, Eon Blue?
Old 12-05-2002, 08:05 PM   #3
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1125
I thought his dog's name was just Eon. I think that maybe Eon would have been something in his mind, like a long lasting companion. Blue is a color that represents sadness, but there is probably a deeper meaning.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:27 PM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 92
Could be connected

May have something to do with the "AEON BLUE" Chatroom on the www.toolband.com

Spelled different, I wonder if that chatroom has been up there since before Lateralus was released...
I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Andy DV?"
Old 12-09-2002, 09:06 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

according to dictionary.com, eon & aeon are the same word. So who knows?
Old 12-11-2002, 11:24 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
“Something like ‘Eon Blue Apocalypse’ is just a really short
into to ‘The Patient’ that you would never think of as a
separate song,” offers Carey. “It’s a tribute to Adam’s Great
Dane that died. Well it didn’t die actually, it had cancer…”

Danney said this in an article i just read, but i advise to whoever reads this, danney isnt being too serious so dont believe everything he says
http://toolshed.down.net/articles/te....jun.2001.html

Last edited by Stinkarm; 12-11-2002 at 11:29 AM..
Old 12-24-2002, 07:18 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

to answer the question about the chat room...yes it has been in existence before the album
Old 01-08-2003, 06:39 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I also know that the chatroom was around before the song, and I remember reading somewhere (I wish I could remember where) that the song and the chatroom are related in a way. Like, they are both named after the same thing. So perhaps they are both named after the dog, I dunno. It's possible, remember, TooL released a song tited "Maynard's Dick", so anything is possible with those boys.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:29 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

According to the FAQ, Eon is Jones' 190 great dane.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:33 PM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

Whoops.

Eon blue is the term associated to a star becoming a neutron star after being a red giant right?
Old 01-18-2003, 02:42 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

eon blue apocalypse is the sound of Maynard's siamese cat.

I think i read this in the articles section if I remember correctly.

Apparrently, Maynard's cat was making this weird warbling meowing sound, and he decided he should tape it. Then he brought it to the studio and loaded on the delay and effects processors and voila!!.....cool creepy intro.

You should be able to find this in the articles section of this website.
where, I can't remember.....but what a nifty intro.....totally sets the mood for schism.

Allthough knowing...or beleiving what that sound is , kind of spoils the intro for me......i had my own idea of what the intro was, and it was better than the reality.

alas .....too much information is a bad thing sometimes.....imagination is really important in enjoying art or entertainment....

I think this is what TOOL really strive to say to their audience.....with out an imagination, their songs won't mean anything.

If you let the artist explain or dictate what the art means, then it's really a moot point.

I think TOOL really do their audience a favour by challenging their imaginations.

I think the best written fiction or even movies always encouraged the reader or viewer to think for themselves.
To create the setting by themselves......the author or movie director should point you in a direction and then let you dream up the visuals, the smells, the sounds yourself.......these make the best entertainments......where the "entertainee" is encouraged to help out with the world being created.

I think TOOL do this brilliantly....they can set a mood....introduce a metaphor ....and then the listener can use his/her own mind to create the space they want to be in.

hope this makes sense.....maybe it shouldn't......i've lost my train of thought now....thanks for reading.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:00 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

ooops......i thought eon blue was mantra....so sorry.....please apply what i said before to mantra.
doh!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 08:04 AM   #13
Banned.

Bincount™: 25
I think that's a really cool name for a dog! Eon Blue..
Old 02-10-2003, 06:13 AM   #14
Banned

Bincount™: 128
Re: adam's dog, thats that

Quote:
Originally posted by plexus
i know this has been said in one of the other post, but some people apparently skipped it... adam's dog's name is "Eon Blue" it had cancer... thus the end of the dog (apocalypse).
i say this song is just a dedication to his dog.
well i think your right... but not always everything logic thing is the truth... or the best way... but it seems that this is right

PEACE!!!
Old 02-22-2003, 04:03 PM   #15
Disgruntled Postal Worker

Bincount™: 176
dead, not breathing, blue in the face?
Old 02-24-2003, 03:16 PM   #16
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 773
maybe blue was just the color that one of them saw listening to the song.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:45 AM   #17
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

There is that Hopi prophesy of that blue star falling out of the sky and in third eye "Blue as our second sun" but I don't really know
Old 03-06-2003, 11:17 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

blue

Sometimes, with pets and other animals, a silver-grey coat on a dog is called Blue. I have a blue Chihuahua. Its a beautiful color. Maybe his dog was concidered a Blue hair. just another thought.

I also read in a different forum that "The Patient" was originally titled "Red", because it was the color that the band felt the song "was" (or something), maybe they felt that EBA was "Blue"
Old 04-21-2003, 01:19 AM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

Aeon Blue Apocalypse

God...MGD Vermouth and white Zin...
Anyway, i have the words "Photon belt" "Heat death" and...well...the others are ideas the kinda pop into my head when i listen to this track. As far as i understand...there is some disscussion over a dog. It would be nice to consider that the music/song titlte is refering to a DOG, but i would hope that four individuals with the potential to influence a large # of people would not put a track on their new album of...1997....2001? excuse my drunken ness. a song about a pet. ph well if they did it would be a waste of bytes in my oponion. I think to myself this: aeon blue apocalypse. un-educated i see the word aeon and think...hmmm...some thing like a large # of years/time. blue...hmmm....my fav color... Apocalypse...the end of all. all that is earthly. truly i see that either andrew is right in that we are plummeting through space towards a "photon" belt that will enduce ( like the echoing voices of the synthesized hymilan (spelling) monks in their little 'temple' ) a personal, internal, delusional enlightenment that transf0rms their perception to the point where they truly believe in their own conectedness witht the one trrue energy that drives all....or...well...maybe i have no idea at all and an amazingly famous band that delayed 5 years decided to write a song about a dog...

P.S. I apologize for my drunkenness and the fact that i have written in such a manner but i figured that eon/aeon blue apocalypse would be a vauge enough track to begin on considering my opinions are a little far fetched from a track about a DOG...
Old 04-22-2003, 05:48 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

or....

Maybe he actually felt some sort of emotion towards this lost pet and felt he should immortalize its pain and memory.

a few seconds foor his pet on an 80 minutes cd isn't exactly what i would call a "waste" in a time when bands put out 30 minute efferts.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:53 PM   #21
Banned.

Judgement (Aeon) card in the tarot

Last edited by cainecrawford; 04-23-2003 at 06:55 PM..
Old 04-23-2003, 06:54 PM   #22
Banned.

Judgement (Aeon) Blue(color of Jupiter, planet of the son of man). Hmm what would a arc angel do I wonder? I love my planet. Hehehe
Old 05-01-2003, 02:26 PM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

Aeon is the tarot for judgement? and whats this about jupiter and the sun of man? sounds like apocalypse to me...or maybe a dog...
dog is god backwards

R E V E R U S
Old 05-12-2003, 12:08 AM   #24
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801
Quote:
Originally posted by reign3
maybe blue was just the color that one of them saw listening to the song.
i can see how you would get to that conclusion..i have always associated my pancho to yelllow
Old 05-12-2003, 05:26 PM   #25
Banned.

Quote:
Originally posted by GoatKing
Whoops.

Eon blue is the term associated to a star becoming a neutron star after being a red giant right?
So, like the star changed it's form, the dog did too?

BTW, Eon Blue is one of my favourite pieces of Tool. I keep it on my mp3 player permanently.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:16 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

I always thought of this song being about Adam's dog, but now I'm surprised to read that it died? I read on www.toolband.com that it hat cancer and that one leg had to be taken off (I assume that they didn't joke about this kind of stuff), but I'm not aware that the dog actually died.

Did I miss something?

S
Old 05-22-2003, 06:37 AM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9
My condolences

Quote:
“Something like ‘Eon Blue Apocalypse’ is just a really short
into to ‘The Patient’ that you would never think of as a
separate song,”

I also read in a different forum that "The Patient" was originally titled "Red", because it was the color that the band felt the song "was" (or something), maybe they felt that EBA was "Blue"

Judgement (Aeon) Blue(color of Jupiter, planet of the son of man).

The red giant that turns 'Eon Blue' before it turns into a blue neutron star.
The patient comes after blue apocalypse, and it's color is red.
The order of procession in colors in reversed.

The colour of Jupiter is blue. The colour of Mars is red.
Mars is closer to the earth than Jupiter, so moving towards the earth, or the sun, we first pass 'blue' jupiter, then red mars.

Also, when moving from Kether to Malkuth (earth), we pass Chesed (jupiter, blue) first, then Gevurah (Mars, red). Chesed and Gevurah represent anabolism and katabolism (i think), or love and judgement, respectively. They cannot be seen as seperate, either.

Another wee thing: On the Toolpantheon.com interpretation, EBA is associated with the Rider Waite Tarot card Last Judgement, which in the Crowley has indeed been translated into Aeon.

Can't make much of it either. Just a few incoherent, far-fetched connections and ideas so far.

Last edited by Atratus; 05-22-2003 at 06:41 AM..
Old 11-24-2003, 04:49 AM   #28
Level 3 - Talker

I don't know if anyones picked up on this yet either, but its probably a bad connection but dogs and cats ? people consider them opposites.

Maynards Cat

Adams Dog.

Cat feminine, Dog Masculine.

Man i should stop scrutinizing this....

and yes, i also think there is definately something with the spectrum of light there, light has so much power in the universe and so much of lateralus is about light.

You have reflection. the character feels the million light reflections pass over him from a higher source, the light representing energy of the universe.

You have schism which is about communication, light has been used as a communication medium e.g fibre optics (i know a stretch.) and light is the communication between electrons, and electrons are a major control of the chemistry of elements in the universe.

aeon blue and lateralus, Blue, Red and Yellow, and you may link triad to it.

Since some believe the grudge is about god and absolute good and evil, and god not seeing in between,and therefore holding a grudge with mankind, only good or evil, theres choose 1 or 10 .... in lateralus it says "black and white are all i see in my infancy" , once again, the grudge at the start (infancy.) and about absolutes, black and white, 1 and 10.

somebody please stop me before i hurt myself.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:09 AM   #29
Level 8 - Vociferous

Maynard has a dog too.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:25 PM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

I think that what they wanted to say is that The end (the apocalipse) is sad (blue) and very long.....
Old 12-21-2003, 11:44 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllforUnity
Maynard has a dog too.
I have a dog too.

OK, that's not a terribly profound statement all on its own.

But, I used to have a dog who suffered from cancer and who had to be put down. A few months later, I'd written a poem and was trying to find a title for it when I realized that part of it reminded me of my old dog; I titled the poem after him. Perhaps this could be a similar situation? Band makes weird little track, track reminds band member of dog, band names track after dog? It doesn't sound too outrageous to me.

Besides, for those who think dedicating even mere seconds on an album is a waste of time, I'd point out that NIN's "Further Down the Spiral" was mostly inspired and dictated by Reznor's sorrow over the loss of one of his dogs. Was that album therefore a waste of time?

. . . (OK, from my viewpoint, yeah, FDtheS was a waste of time--and a dog of an album, ha!--but just because NIN hasn't been worth much since "broken," not because it was a dog-inspired album.)
Old 12-29-2003, 05:00 PM   #32
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: My condolences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atratus
The red giant that turns 'Eon Blue' before it turns into a blue neutron star.
The patient comes after blue apocalypse, and it's color is red.
The order of procession in colors in reversed.

The colour of Jupiter is blue. The colour of Mars is red.
Mars is closer to the earth than Jupiter, so moving towards the earth, or the sun, we first pass 'blue' jupiter, then red mars.
..and before that was The Grudge with references to Saturn. Hmmm...
Old 12-29-2003, 05:44 PM   #33
Banned.

Bincount™: 3

So the Grudge has references to Saturn, Eon Blue Apocalypse may be referring to Jupiter, and "The Patient" was once titled "The Red", and we all know that Mars is the Red Planet. What is this supposed to mean?
Old 12-29-2003, 05:56 PM   #34
Banned.

I don't wanna go too far with it, but if we follow the pattern then Parabol is gonna be about the earth. And Parabola kind of like a twin of Parabol, and Venus was once known as the twin of the earth, right? Does anyone know of any connections following this pattern? I'm looking for a possible connection between Mantra and something similar, anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-02-2004, 01:28 PM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire engine
I don't wanna go too far with it, but if we follow the pattern then Parabol is gonna be about the earth. And Parabola kind of like a twin of Parabol, and Venus was once known as the twin of the earth, right? Does anyone know of any connections following this pattern? I'm looking for a possible connection between Mantra and something similar, anyone have any ideas?

Whoa whoa!! We're skipping Schism... well... maybe not ;) , but at least we haven't mentioned it yet.

Yeah, Heading In, Saturn before Jupiter as The Grudge before Eon Blue Apocalypse. So far so good.

Parabol/Parabola, Him and Her, Earth and Venus. Good good! That makes for Mercury being connected T&L, and Lateralus with our Sun. Sounds fine to me, on first glance.

I heard about Venus being the twin of the earth too. Here's NO.1 on a google "Venus Earth twins" search:
http://members.tripod.com/~GrandAdmi.../twinning.html

Quote:
"The mass distributions of adjacent planets exhibit distinct twinning: Venus and Earth are but 20% different at 0.82 and 1.0 Earth-mass; and Uranus and Neptune at 17 and 15 Earth-masses are 13% different;- but the difference between the pairs Venus-Earth and Uranus-Neptune is a huge factor of 17× - clearly distinct: not a happenstance probability.

Mars and the dis-asteroid planet can't compare, but could have been twins (formed farther from the sun, their rocky cores were smaller than Earth and Venus). "
I'm sure there's more where that came from :)
But... "dis-asteroid planet"? Earth? I didn't bother to read the entire page, but i do recall stories earth and and another object having collided long ago. Or maybe they just meant the Human Disaster on Earth.
[edit]: ooohh this just came in: the disasteroid planet is no other that planet x, nibiru or one of his alter-egos (figures!).

But what i'm also looking for is a place for Mantra, as well as for Schism. Maybe they refer to the moon and... and to a collision long a-go. And maybe not.

Here's from the fourth search result, from a "search for planet x" forum:

http://pub39.ezboard.com/fhuntforpla...icID=114.topic

Quote:
Solar System originally a Seven Planet Structure
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It becomes clearer, more and more, that the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter was once a large gas planet, comparable in size to Saturn.
Maybe this explains what is so apocalyptic about Jupiter, and why mars is now a bloody red patient. Hell, maybe jupiter is next, and he knows it... (On a 12/21/2012 birth chart, Saturn and Pluto both 'point' at jupiter, the first two being 60 degrees apart from one another and each 300 degrees apart from jupiter... i think...) Though of course i'm not entirely sure jupiter awaits the same fate as this alledged ex-gasplanet. Not sure at all (overthinking, overanalysing...)

Of course, i'm not saying Tool inteded any of this to 'fit', but maybe (and no offense either!), just maybe they couldn't quite escape the influence a solar system has on you... >:)

Last edited by Atratus; 01-02-2004 at 01:45 PM..
Old 01-03-2004, 03:03 AM   #36
Banned.

A huge ass lump of rock hit earth and formed the moon :p (maybe the one which whiped out the dinos, can't remember the time it hit)

I'd say mantra was the astorid belt... sounds kinda of like a morning song to me.. morning for a lost planet? ahaha... I'm rambling about nothing.

Anyway, amazing what you can get from a few seconds you hardly realise as a different song.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:43 AM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

Yeah, mantra like a mourning song for a planet or an accident between planets, chanted by it's leftover asteroids (like cursed ones, like punished ones, like zombies and the pirates in pirates of the carribean... mantra mantra mantra). And then after the asteroids comes schism: "i know the pieces fit..."
Good stuff.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:13 AM   #38
Level 2 - Poster

It makes some form of sense to me... let me see if I can get it all straight.

The Grudge - Saturn (comes back around)
Eon Blue Apocalypse - Jupiter .. which is the "blue planet" (or so they say)
The Patient (or The Red) - Mars, the "red planet"
**Mantra** - I think it's EVERYTHING.. or mourning what is to come (the earth and moon separating)
**Schism** - Schism literally means "separation." If the moon is just a piece of the earth that has fallen away... It would be perfect.
Parabol - Earth, which makes sense when you look at the "humanity" and passion of the song. Very personal. Very human.
Parabola - Venus, which is Earth's closest sister
Ticks & Leeches - Mercury, the "hottest" planet. Ticks & Leeches is the hottest / most angry song on the album.

now.. as far as the sun goes I think Lateralus is part of it:
"black and white are all I see in my infacy.. red and yellow [the sun] then came to be.. reaching out to me [warming].. let's me see [sheds light]"
Disposition is also part of it:
"watch the weather change" - Weather patterns often have something to do with where you are on the planet in reference to the sun.
Reflection is, on some level, about how the moon is merely a reflection of a sun that we cannot see. So it's both sun AND moon? Wow.. what a stretch :-p
Triad - ....? the pure chaos of it may mirror the chaos of the sun..

Also note that these four songs are actually meant to be one huge entity. The sun is also one huge entity. /shrug

And everything ends with "The voice of God."

Maybe this is all a stretch... but it might give people ideas to feed off of. So yeah. Feed away.

~ djl
Old 01-06-2004, 10:18 AM   #39
Level 2 - Poster

My god. I apologize for my horrible grammar last post. I usually don't suck that much.

~ djl
Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM   #40
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.........

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: