Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
submachine's Avatar submachine
05-09-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalDeath
Perhaps you should start your own band and outplay Tool? Get everything to sound exactly how you want being as how this band can't quite cut it for you.
Thats like saying perhaps you should start your own country and get the f outta mine since my government can't quite cut it for you. No really, gtfo.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #121
On Probation

Bincount™: 163
Re: Hi Adam, you um ruined this song

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalDeath
Perhaps you should start your own band and outplay Tool? Get everything to sound exactly how you want being as how this band can't quite cut it for you.
Thats like saying perhaps you should start your own country and get the f outta mine since my government can't quite cut it for you. No really, gtfo.
OFFLINE |  
05-09-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodagoth
I've always found the strong points of Tool to be Maynard's godly vocals and Danny's amazing drumming so i do have to say i don't believe Adam is all that great..
See that, Adam? Youre #3....at best.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #122
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodagoth
I've always found the strong points of Tool to be Maynard's godly vocals and Danny's amazing drumming so i do have to say i don't believe Adam is all that great..
OFFLINE |  
Cynical/Sarcastic
05-09-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine
*watches Adam Jones cry himself to sleep because of Submachine's comment*
Old 05-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #123
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 66

Quote:
*watches Adam Jones cry himself to sleep because of Submachine's comment*
OFFLINE |  
Washburn
05-09-2006, 03:32 PM

Submachine:
I'm not a guitar-expert or anything either, but it seems you're just set on bashing Adam's guitar playing without any constructive criticism. You started off bashing his playing on 10k days, but then went over to bashing ALL his playing in general (read your last post here). Why I wonder...
IMO, A. Jones has a wonderful ability to play awide range of styles, from soft and melodic to raging loud and powerful. I've always been a diehard fan of David Glimour (of Pink Floyd), but there are times that I think A. Jones may even have a higher priority in my own mind as a guitarist...now, that's MY taste, and you're entitled to yours, of course, but it seems you keep getting frustrated in trying to justify your own citicism of a. Jones' playing.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #124
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

Submachine:
I'm not a guitar-expert or anything either, but it seems you're just set on bashing Adam's guitar playing without any constructive criticism. You started off bashing his playing on 10k days, but then went over to bashing ALL his playing in general (read your last post here). Why I wonder...
IMO, A. Jones has a wonderful ability to play awide range of styles, from soft and melodic to raging loud and powerful. I've always been a diehard fan of David Glimour (of Pink Floyd), but there are times that I think A. Jones may even have a higher priority in my own mind as a guitarist...now, that's MY taste, and you're entitled to yours, of course, but it seems you keep getting frustrated in trying to justify your own citicism of a. Jones' playing.
OFFLINE |  
05-09-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolai
if there's something I love when playing drums it's when the guitar is cranked to the top ripping through everything.
Yeah maybe cause the drums are right under you :roll:

Quote:
If you have any problems with the sound... just turn up the volume (to 11)
Yeah im sure that would only make the drums louder :roll:
Old 05-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #125
On Probation

Quote:
if there's something I love when playing drums it's when the guitar is cranked to the top ripping through everything.
Yeah maybe cause the drums are right under you :roll:

Quote:
If you have any problems with the sound... just turn up the volume (to 11)
Yeah im sure that would only make the drums louder :roll:
OFFLINE |  
05-09-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washburn
it seems you're just set on bashing Adam's guitar playing without any constructive criticism.
I've never had a problem on any previous cd, and I don't have a problem with Vicarious. Its all good, but on other tracks on 10000 Days like this one, adam is mixed too high and Danny too low.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #126
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washburn
it seems you're just set on bashing Adam's guitar playing without any constructive criticism.
I've never had a problem on any previous cd, and I don't have a problem with Vicarious. Its all good, but on other tracks on 10000 Days like this one, adam is mixed too high and Danny too low.
OFFLINE |  
foma's Avatar foma
05-09-2006, 03:48 PM

submachine your stereo sucks
btw i did enjoy the drums from the second time i listened to it :P
did he, who made the lamb, make thee?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:48 PM   #127
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

btw i did enjoy the drums from the second time i listened to it :P
did he, who made the lamb, make thee?
OFFLINE |  
jaraber527
05-09-2006, 05:46 PM

hmm, i thought it was fine
Old 05-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #128
Level 1 - Lurker

hmm, i thought it was fine
OFFLINE |  
05-09-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma
Because its high quality allows me to discern fluctuations and determine mixing miscalculations?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #129
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma
Because its high quality allows me to discern fluctuations and determine mixing miscalculations?
OFFLINE |  
cant_be_faded's Avatar cant_be_faded
05-09-2006, 08:52 PM

the album could have been mixed better, like many others i would ahve liked the bass to be there, but with the bass buried there in the thick layers of noise it kind of just, well, fits

the guitar does not suck
adam rips it on this album like he does on any other
he's just not the showcase, and really, never has been
"Why does God not blot out the sun?"

www.fozlur.com
Old 05-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #130
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

the album could have been mixed better, like many others i would ahve liked the bass to be there, but with the bass buried there in the thick layers of noise it kind of just, well, fits

the guitar does not suck
adam rips it on this album like he does on any other
he's just not the showcase, and really, never has been
"Why does God not blot out the sun?"

www.fozlur.com
OFFLINE |  
bitter_enigma's Avatar bitter_enigma
05-10-2006, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Man
Wings (pt 1) - I saw someone post once about the heavy part at like the 4:00 min mark that suddenly just cuts out, while I agreed at first it was too short I than thought of it as something beautiful that was cut short prematurely, IE Judith Marie.
I thought this topic was going to be about that bit. I'm still a bit irked by its abrubtness and feeling out of place with the rest of the music, but that interpretation justifies it a bit.

Still seems so out of place and, well, heavy-handed. Clumsy even.
To mine ears anyway.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:48 AM   #131
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 23
Re: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Man
Wings (pt 1) - I saw someone post once about the heavy part at like the 4:00 min mark that suddenly just cuts out, while I agreed at first it was too short I than thought of it as something beautiful that was cut short prematurely, IE Judith Marie.
I thought this topic was going to be about that bit. I'm still a bit irked by its abrubtness and feeling out of place with the rest of the music, but that interpretation justifies it a bit.

To mine ears anyway.
OFFLINE |  
Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
05-10-2006, 04:14 AM

That part seems to act as a bridge to the end of the song. It picks up the pace, and just as its picking up, it slows right down again. The outro wouldnt sound as slow or sorrowful as it does without the heavy part.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:14 AM   #132
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

That part seems to act as a bridge to the end of the song. It picks up the pace, and just as its picking up, it slows right down again. The outro wouldnt sound as slow or sorrowful as it does without the heavy part.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
OFFLINE |  
bitter_enigma's Avatar bitter_enigma
05-10-2006, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveboat Captain
Ok i can accept that, but maybe they could have built up to it progressively rather than just ripping it out of nowhere.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:25 AM   #133
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveboat Captain
Ok i can accept that, but maybe they could have built up to it progressively rather than just ripping it out of nowhere.
OFFLINE |  
third_eye77's Avatar third_eye77
05-10-2006, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant_be_faded
You think?? I thought the bass was more proclaimed on this record than any other. For me, it's easier to pick out the bass on this CD because on a lot of other CD's the bass almost blends w/ the guitar on parts of songs.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:13 AM   #134
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant_be_faded
You think?? I thought the bass was more proclaimed on this record than any other. For me, it's easier to pick out the bass on this CD because on a lot of other CD's the bass almost blends w/ the guitar on parts of songs.
OFFLINE |  
Happyfunball's Avatar Happyfunball
05-10-2006, 09:54 AM

Sub's still pissed about all those non-spanish spanish people he doesn't actually know ruining his country there in New York City. Not to mention the diaper rash.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:54 AM   #135
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Sub's still pissed about all those non-spanish spanish people he doesn't actually know ruining his country there in New York City. Not to mention the diaper rash.
OFFLINE |  
][ncognito
05-10-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
He wouldn't even be that, because with out Justin's bass, Adam's guitar would be far too bland. The fact that the bass and guitar mix so perfectly together is what makes tool so amazing. Everyone in the band has a chance to shine in their own spots.

I think most would agree Adam is the "weakest" member of the band. But you have to face the fact that Maynard not only vocally, but lyrically is one of the best rock singers ever. Personally I think next to probably Lennon, he's the best singer ever.

Few drummers can compare to Danny, and few Bassists can compare to Justin as well. Of course there are going to be guys better at both. Jazz drummers are some of the most amazing in the world, and of course bassists like Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius etc are better than Justin, but the way these two work in a band setting, you don't see that much creativity and skill in many bands.

Adam does a great job. If he did more it would be really difficult for the others to have their moments. His more simplistic style allows for Danny and Justin to be as good as they can be.

Anyway, as far as 10,000 Days is concerned, I don't know what you're talking about honestly. The bass and drums aren't buried at all, at least certainly not on my sound systems. The bass is featured through out the beginning, and it's meant to be quiet. He's playing on 3 of the 4 strings so there's a lot of full bass ringing throughout the beginning. It's not about the individual notes, but the full sound created from all of them.

Maybe comapred to past albums Adam may stand out a bit more, but I still don't see it. Justin's tone is so much sharper and clearer on this album that you can definitely hear him, and honestly I think Danny is better heard as well. Now, I'm a bassist, so maybe it's because I tend to have an ear, and pay a lot of attention to the rhythm section to begin with rather than guitar, but I think this album is incredbily well mixed. Besdies, how many other bands can you name where the bass and drums are featured so prominantly as in Tool?

As for those who say Adam can't solo, as others have said, his spots in Lateralus, Parabola, etc show that he can put a great solo in where it's needed.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #136
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
He wouldn't even be that, because with out Justin's bass, Adam's guitar would be far too bland. The fact that the bass and guitar mix so perfectly together is what makes tool so amazing. Everyone in the band has a chance to shine in their own spots.

I think most would agree Adam is the "weakest" member of the band. But you have to face the fact that Maynard not only vocally, but lyrically is one of the best rock singers ever. Personally I think next to probably Lennon, he's the best singer ever.

Few drummers can compare to Danny, and few Bassists can compare to Justin as well. Of course there are going to be guys better at both. Jazz drummers are some of the most amazing in the world, and of course bassists like Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius etc are better than Justin, but the way these two work in a band setting, you don't see that much creativity and skill in many bands.

Adam does a great job. If he did more it would be really difficult for the others to have their moments. His more simplistic style allows for Danny and Justin to be as good as they can be.

Anyway, as far as 10,000 Days is concerned, I don't know what you're talking about honestly. The bass and drums aren't buried at all, at least certainly not on my sound systems. The bass is featured through out the beginning, and it's meant to be quiet. He's playing on 3 of the 4 strings so there's a lot of full bass ringing throughout the beginning. It's not about the individual notes, but the full sound created from all of them.

Maybe comapred to past albums Adam may stand out a bit more, but I still don't see it. Justin's tone is so much sharper and clearer on this album that you can definitely hear him, and honestly I think Danny is better heard as well. Now, I'm a bassist, so maybe it's because I tend to have an ear, and pay a lot of attention to the rhythm section to begin with rather than guitar, but I think this album is incredbily well mixed. Besdies, how many other bands can you name where the bass and drums are featured so prominantly as in Tool?

As for those who say Adam can't solo, as others have said, his spots in Lateralus, Parabola, etc show that he can put a great solo in where it's needed.
OFFLINE |  
DarthGeek
05-10-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
My sound systems must all suck ... it sounded terrific to me. Someone mentioned it earlier, and I'd have to agree, the "solo" in Wings Pt 2 definately sounds like musical crying/mourning to me.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #137
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
My sound systems must all suck ... it sounded terrific to me. Someone mentioned it earlier, and I'd have to agree, the "solo" in Wings Pt 2 definately sounds like musical crying/mourning to me.
OFFLINE |  
Tyro
05-10-2006, 12:04 PM

A large reason that this debate continues on is that a hell of a lot of people on the "Adam" side assume that all who dislike the "solo" would rather have a shred fest.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #138
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 101

A large reason that this debate continues on is that a hell of a lot of people on the "Adam" side assume that all who dislike the "solo" would rather have a shred fest.
05-10-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Good, tell the crybaby to play with dolls and stop mucking up songs.

you are some jerk, why are you on this forum if you dont appreciate tool's work. Adam is a one of four essential musicians in the band. Are you declaring you could do a better job than he does? Why is he a crybaby? Do you know him? - No . So why slander him, especially since it is his band which has given you so much great music. Consider yourself a hypocrite.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #139
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Good, tell the crybaby to play with dolls and stop mucking up songs.

you are some jerk, why are you on this forum if you dont appreciate tool's work. Adam is a one of four essential musicians in the band. Are you declaring you could do a better job than he does? Why is he a crybaby? Do you know him? - No . So why slander him, especially since it is his band which has given you so much great music. Consider yourself a hypocrite.
OFFLINE |  
dysthymia2001
05-10-2006, 12:23 PM

This allbum, and specifically the song "10,000 Days" reminds me of a Grateful Dead concert. It's just a trippy jam in the spirit of Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters. Just much better becuase it F-ing rocks unlike that sappy ass folk/blues/jazz shit the Dead played.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #140
Level 1 - Lurker

This allbum, and specifically the song "10,000 Days" reminds me of a Grateful Dead concert. It's just a trippy jam in the spirit of Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters. Just much better becuase it F-ing rocks unlike that sappy ass folk/blues/jazz shit the Dead played.
OFFLINE |  
FallenOne
05-10-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Some of Danny's most brilliant work starting around the middle, and it is sloppily covered by the muck of Adam.
How could any fan of TOOL in general make a statement this stupid. As every fan knows TOOL plays with feeling and raw emotion so if Adam felt that was the lick, then it became the lick. How dare you!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #141
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Some of Danny's most brilliant work starting around the middle, and it is sloppily covered by the muck of Adam.
How could any fan of TOOL in general make a statement this stupid. As every fan knows TOOL plays with feeling and raw emotion so if Adam felt that was the lick, then it became the lick. How dare you!
OFFLINE |  
05-10-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitter_enigma
If Adams playing is clumsy thats even more reason to tone it down. Maybe its clumsiness is why it sounds so heavy-handed and overpowering, like cheap cologne.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #142
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitter_enigma
If Adams playing is clumsy thats even more reason to tone it down. Maybe its clumsiness is why it sounds so heavy-handed and overpowering, like cheap cologne.
OFFLINE |  
NoD
05-10-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Adams...like cheap cologne.
OH SNAP!1!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #143
NoD
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1239

Quote:
Adams...like cheap cologne.
OH SNAP!1!
OFFLINE |  
evil agent's Avatar evil agent
05-10-2006, 04:54 PM

MAYBE Adam is the weakest musician in the band (I'd probably give the title to Justin first, but they're ALL good)..

What you people are all forgetting is that a HUGE part of Adam's work is WRITING THE SONGS, not just playing the riffs. All your favorite Tool songs, the structure and the form and the sound of those songs was written largely by Adam (working with Justin, and Danny). Adam is a GREAT songwriter, and a good guitarist.

Now stop bashing him!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #144
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

MAYBE Adam is the weakest musician in the band (I'd probably give the title to Justin first, but they're ALL good)..

What you people are all forgetting is that a HUGE part of Adam's work is WRITING THE SONGS, not just playing the riffs. All your favorite Tool songs, the structure and the form and the sound of those songs was written largely by Adam (working with Justin, and Danny). Adam is a GREAT songwriter, and a good guitarist.

Now stop bashing him!
OFFLINE |  
05-10-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil agent

What you people are all forgetting is that a HUGE part of Adam's work is WRITING THE SONGS, not just playing the riffs. All your favorite Tool songs, the structure and the form and the sound of those songs was written largely by Adam (working with Justin, and Danny).
Calm down, no one is forgetting anything. You know its probably this kind of ass-kissing that led adam to go overboard on 10000 Days. Its not even bad, its just too LOUD in the mix.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #145
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil agent

What you people are all forgetting is that a HUGE part of Adam's work is WRITING THE SONGS, not just playing the riffs. All your favorite Tool songs, the structure and the form and the sound of those songs was written largely by Adam (working with Justin, and Danny).
Calm down, no one is forgetting anything. You know its probably this kind of ass-kissing that led adam to go overboard on 10000 Days. Its not even bad, its just too LOUD in the mix.
OFFLINE |  
opiated's Avatar opiated
05-10-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
It must be that time for you, huh?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #146
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 145

Quote:
OFFLINE |  
Triple Six Mafia
05-10-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicariouslyeye
Hi submachine, you um suck....

Nice just just what I was thinkin...................but I still respect his/her opinion
Old 05-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #147
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicariouslyeye
Hi submachine, you um suck....

Nice just just what I was thinkin...................but I still respect his/her opinion
05-10-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiated
The time I school you on music? Yeah that was a few minutes ago.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #148
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiated
The time I school you on music? Yeah that was a few minutes ago.
OFFLINE |  
shorabali's Avatar shorabali
05-10-2006, 07:27 PM

what is your purpose submachine?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:27 PM   #149
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

05-10-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorabali
Objectively honest constructive criticism :)
Old 05-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #150
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorabali
Objectively honest constructive criticism :)
OFFLINE |  
ahmad
05-10-2006, 08:19 PM

Um, I'm not sure if Adam has read this thread.....but he'd probably laugh at you guys for thinking that somehow your input would improve the song. Do Adam a favor, pick up a guitar and show him how its done.....then he'd laugh again.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:19 PM   #151
Level 1 - Lurker

Um, I'm not sure if Adam has read this thread.....but he'd probably laugh at you guys for thinking that somehow your input would improve the song. Do Adam a favor, pick up a guitar and show him how its done.....then he'd laugh again.
OFFLINE |  
05-10-2006, 08:25 PM

"As always, the affair is shabbily held together by the guitar work of Adam Jones, which manages to touch all the extremes of mediocrity, from the chilling abyss of conspicuous sub-mediocrity (the spit-soaked Frampton-Comes-Alive solo on “Jambi”) to the thrilling stratosphere of… defensibility. Yes, that’s about the best that could be said of him: someone somewhere might have some kind of argument in his favor. Lord knows it isn’t me. His ass is frequently saved by the workmanlike bass twiddling of What’s-His-Face, who charitably wrests the lead from Jones when the going gets too tough."

ahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah
Old 05-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #152
On Probation

"As always, the affair is shabbily held together by the guitar work of Adam Jones, which manages to touch all the extremes of mediocrity, from the chilling abyss of conspicuous sub-mediocrity (the spit-soaked Frampton-Comes-Alive solo on “Jambi”) to the thrilling stratosphere of… defensibility. Yes, that’s about the best that could be said of him: someone somewhere might have some kind of argument in his favor. Lord knows it isn’t me. His ass is frequently saved by the workmanlike bass twiddling of What’s-His-Face, who charitably wrests the lead from Jones when the going gets too tough."

ahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah
OFFLINE |  
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
05-10-2006, 08:55 PM

STUPID THREAD. END IT. STOP POSTING,

Tool, as a whole, makes this song beautiful.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #153
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

STUPID THREAD. END IT. STOP POSTING,

Tool, as a whole, makes this song beautiful.
05-10-2006, 09:57 PM

submachine, do us all a favour GTFO

You must have been OUT YO MIND !!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #154
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

submachine, do us all a favour GTFO

You must have been OUT YO MIND !!!!!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
05-10-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
sub...i have a question for you

what are you listening to 10,000 days on?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #155
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

Quote:
sub...i have a question for you

what are you listening to 10,000 days on?
05-10-2006, 11:16 PM

obviously a set of mackie monitors designed by god himself.

how else can one man be *so* assured in his conviction that 4 musicians who've been together more than 15 years and an extremely talented mixing engineer with many years' more experience than him are utterly, totally inept at doing what they're paid to do?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #156
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

how else can one man be *so* assured in his conviction that 4 musicians who've been together more than 15 years and an extremely talented mixing engineer with many years' more experience than him are utterly, totally inept at doing what they're paid to do?
05-11-2006, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth

1. Aenima was mixed flawlessly by David Bottrill

2. Lateralus was mixed flawlessly by David Bottrill

3. 10000 Days was mixed horribly by (the new) Joe Baressi
Old 05-11-2006, 05:13 AM   #157
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth

1. Aenima was mixed flawlessly by David Bottrill

2. Lateralus was mixed flawlessly by David Bottrill

3. 10000 Days was mixed horribly by (the new) Joe Baressi
OFFLINE |  
05-11-2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
The band has given their thumbs up to the mixing, otherwise Tool would have searched another engineer.
You're assuming they were all equally involved in the process.

You're assuming they all agreed with uniform opinions.

You're assuming they are satisfied with the outcome.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:28 AM   #158
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
The band has given their thumbs up to the mixing, otherwise Tool would have searched another engineer.

OFFLINE |  
third_eye77's Avatar third_eye77
05-11-2006, 06:05 AM

Quote:

Why wouldn't they be?? When I recorded w/ my band, all 4 members made sure everything was as we wanted it (within budgeted reasoning:)). Tool waited 5 yrs to release this, why wouldn't it be exactly how they wanted it?? Afterall, THEY produced it!!
Old 05-11-2006, 06:05 AM   #159
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:

Why wouldn't they be?? When I recorded w/ my band, all 4 members made sure everything was as we wanted it (within budgeted reasoning:)). Tool waited 5 yrs to release this, why wouldn't it be exactly how they wanted it?? Afterall, THEY produced it!!
OFFLINE |  
Exegesis's Avatar Exegesis
05-11-2006, 07:51 AM

to SUBMACHINE: if you truly think that Adam somehow ruined the song with his "solo", then I think you have a poor set of ears and a faulty brain when it comes to hearing music on more than a simple one-dimensional level.
At that point in the song, Justin is keeping the "time" with his bassline, while Danny and Adam, create a jazzy kind of tension that PULLS the song outside the lines, and pushes the listener into terriroties that pop music almost never does. Adam is not a conventional soloist, and the notes and the timing of his notes are perfect for what they are accomplishing with that part of the song. They are using their sonic crayons to abstract the piece and color outside the bold black lines, which makes all the more impact when they pull it back together with the following melody. Glad I could help you out, buddy.

PS: Your tool logo is messed up. you might wanna fix it.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:51 AM   #160
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 52

to SUBMACHINE: if you truly think that Adam somehow ruined the song with his "solo", then I think you have a poor set of ears and a faulty brain when it comes to hearing music on more than a simple one-dimensional level.
At that point in the song, Justin is keeping the "time" with his bassline, while Danny and Adam, create a jazzy kind of tension that PULLS the song outside the lines, and pushes the listener into terriroties that pop music almost never does. Adam is not a conventional soloist, and the notes and the timing of his notes are perfect for what they are accomplishing with that part of the song. They are using their sonic crayons to abstract the piece and color outside the bold black lines, which makes all the more impact when they pull it back together with the following melody. Glad I could help you out, buddy.

PS: Your tool logo is messed up. you might wanna fix it.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply