Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 07. Lost Keys
User Name
Password
alucinar's Avatar alucinar
04-20-2006, 04:37 AM

To me this seems to be in reference to the way certain drugs pass through unchartered areas of the brain by mimicing the necessary key for the opposing locked synapse. This is how LSD (for eg) produces feelings and visions by unlocking these areas of the brain normally dormant

'The existence of such receptor cells had been suggested in 1972 by Stanford University psychopharmacologist Avram Goldstein and verified in 1973 by John Hopkins University researchers Solomon Snyder and Candace Pert. Goldstein, who hypothesized that the brain must contain receptor sites of some type for opiate narcotics for the drugs to exert any effect at all in the brain and central nervous system, even provided a handy analogy to describe the system he envisioned. "The places in the brain cells where morphine and similar molecules combine," he said, "must be shaped to accommodate the morphine exactly as a lock accommodates a particular key'

anyway thoughts ?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:37 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Meaning of lost keys

To me this seems to be in reference to the way certain drugs pass through unchartered areas of the brain by mimicing the necessary key for the opposing locked synapse. This is how LSD (for eg) produces feelings and visions by unlocking these areas of the brain normally dormant

'The existence of such receptor cells had been suggested in 1972 by Stanford University psychopharmacologist Avram Goldstein and verified in 1973 by John Hopkins University researchers Solomon Snyder and Candace Pert. Goldstein, who hypothesized that the brain must contain receptor sites of some type for opiate narcotics for the drugs to exert any effect at all in the brain and central nervous system, even provided a handy analogy to describe the system he envisioned. "The places in the brain cells where morphine and similar molecules combine," he said, "must be shaped to accommodate the morphine exactly as a lock accommodates a particular key'

anyway thoughts ?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
mike09's Avatar mike09
04-20-2006, 06:08 AM

It's definitely possible. The song is connected with Rosetta Stoned, obviously. So, you can guess similar subject matter.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:08 AM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 664
Re: Meaning of lost keys

It's definitely possible. The song is connected with Rosetta Stoned, obviously. So, you can guess similar subject matter.
UrQuattro's Avatar UrQuattro
04-20-2006, 07:23 AM

dude... those 'locked receptors' are the type 2 seratonin sub-receptors... morphine hits various mu receptors within the endorphine system, dopamine is hit by phenethylamines, and it is the tryptamines that hit the seratonin system... im overgeneralizing here, but that's the general overview. Pyschedellics are the reason that we know about seratonin in the first place, btw...

and, from listening to this and hearing the conversation going on, sounds like somone got brought in to the hospital while having either a serious psychotic break or some sort of intense drug experience... nothing is physically wrong, and then it goes in to rosetta stoned where he talks to the doc manically, and describes his trip where he meets aliens and is told that he is the chosen one, etc etc...
Old 04-20-2006, 07:23 AM   #3
Paradigm Shifter (tdn $upporter)

dude... those 'locked receptors' are the type 2 seratonin sub-receptors... morphine hits various mu receptors within the endorphine system, dopamine is hit by phenethylamines, and it is the tryptamines that hit the seratonin system... im overgeneralizing here, but that's the general overview. Pyschedellics are the reason that we know about seratonin in the first place, btw...

and, from listening to this and hearing the conversation going on, sounds like somone got brought in to the hospital while having either a serious psychotic break or some sort of intense drug experience... nothing is physically wrong, and then it goes in to rosetta stoned where he talks to the doc manically, and describes his trip where he meets aliens and is told that he is the chosen one, etc etc...
04-20-2006, 01:46 PM

Lost Keys must be in reference to those locked receptors. Good thinking.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 23

Lost Keys must be in reference to those locked receptors. Good thinking.
04-20-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrQuattro
Could also be connnected to this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089...Fencoding=UTF8

Read some of the overview from reviewers. Seems to fit very well.
I think this song is about old people and growing older. In the beginning of the song I believe I heard mention of watching re-runs of X-files, and old people really love that show.No one ever listens to old people. I can't remember one time when they weren't harping on about the good ol' days and talking about nonsensical things that never happened, while watching X-files, in their small and cluttered room in Happy Acres Retirement Homes, all the while they were pleading with me to listen.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:59 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrQuattro
Could also be connnected to this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089...Fencoding=UTF8

I think this song is about old people and growing older. In the beginning of the song I believe I heard mention of watching re-runs of X-files, and old people really love that show.No one ever listens to old people. I can't remember one time when they weren't harping on about the good ol' days and talking about nonsensical things that never happened, while watching X-files, in their small and cluttered room in Happy Acres Retirement Homes, all the while they were pleading with me to listen.
spiiiral
04-26-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoeDevola

phenomenal book

i recommend it

read it last year

ps: i'm a chick
Old 04-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoeDevola

phenomenal book

i recommend it

read it last year

ps: i'm a chick
Sklander
04-26-2006, 09:26 AM

Yeah, that book is amazing.

I own it and would recommend it to anyone looking for answers to all questions. Dr. Strassman does an excellent job of giving an unbiased account of what IV DMT actually does to Humans.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Yeah, that book is amazing.

I own it and would recommend it to anyone looking for answers to all questions. Dr. Strassman does an excellent job of giving an unbiased account of what IV DMT actually does to Humans.
Dysphoria's Avatar Dysphoria
04-29-2006, 06:23 PM

Probably not connected at all, but on the note of solomon I came across this: A new theory about what was actually the Seal of Solomon is to be found in a book "Le Sceau de Salomon, secret perdu de la Bible" (The Seal of Solomon, lost key of the Holy Bible, french language) by Janik Pilet. According to him, it was a source for holy inspiration used by several authors of the Old and New Testaments, and its drawing is described in the first text in the Holy Bible i.e. the creation in six days.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

Probably not connected at all, but on the note of solomon I came across this: A new theory about what was actually the Seal of Solomon is to be found in a book "Le Sceau de Salomon, secret perdu de la Bible" (The Seal of Solomon, lost key of the Holy Bible, french language) by Janik Pilet. According to him, it was a source for holy inspiration used by several authors of the Old and New Testaments, and its drawing is described in the first text in the Holy Bible i.e. the creation in six days.
04-29-2006, 08:28 PM

I'm pretty sure lost keys is a metaphor for what the guy is feeling in Rossetta stoned. This is just like the introduction to that story...
Old 04-29-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

I'm pretty sure lost keys is a metaphor for what the guy is feeling in Rossetta stoned. This is just like the introduction to that story...
Ardhanarishvara's Avatar Ardhanarishvara
04-30-2006, 02:28 AM

i think the idea that this track is about acid is further backed up by "(blame hoffman)"
which i'm pretty sure is refering to Albert Hofmann, known as the father of LSD (thank you wikipedia :P).

I think this title possesses quite light hearted humour.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:28 AM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i think the idea that this track is about acid is further backed up by "(blame hoffman)"
which i'm pretty sure is refering to Albert Hofmann, known as the father of LSD (thank you wikipedia :P).

I think this title possesses quite light hearted humour.
05-06-2006, 03:47 PM

well it's either or Phillip Seymour Hoffman.......

I don't think this song is really about anything, except to intro Rosetta, which is fine caust it's a neat little transfer.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

well it's either or Phillip Seymour Hoffman.......

I don't think this song is really about anything, except to intro Rosetta, which is fine caust it's a neat little transfer.
lucky luke's Avatar lucky luke
05-07-2006, 10:43 AM

...or they ate acid and someone lost their keys and it's hofmann's fault cuz he invented it?? maybe it's as simple as that :)
Old 05-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

...or they ate acid and someone lost their keys and it's hofmann's fault cuz he invented it?? maybe it's as simple as that :)
imonlysleeping
05-07-2006, 10:45 AM

losing your keys is an analogy for losing your mind. in parantheses is blame hoffmann, because he is the inventor of lsd. and obviously the person in the skit has lost their mind by doing lsd.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

losing your keys is an analogy for losing your mind. in parantheses is blame hoffmann, because he is the inventor of lsd. and obviously the person in the skit has lost their mind by doing lsd.
05-08-2006, 03:06 PM

When I first heard this I thought it was at first saying he was posessed by a demon or somthing of the such. The hard demondic breathing of the patient gave me that idea and the tone of the over all sound nad atmosphere of the song. But then when i found out about the (Blame Hoffman) part it seemed to point more to the kid losing his mind doing LSD. I still always find the demon part interesting though... and eerie at the same time. ::shudders::
Old 05-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

When I first heard this I thought it was at first saying he was posessed by a demon or somthing of the such. The hard demondic breathing of the patient gave me that idea and the tone of the over all sound nad atmosphere of the song. But then when i found out about the (Blame Hoffman) part it seemed to point more to the kid losing his mind doing LSD. I still always find the demon part interesting though... and eerie at the same time. ::shudders::

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply