opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-23-2006, 01:07 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/08/05 - San Diego, CA - Street Scene '06

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 271
Re: 2006/08/05 - San Diego, CA - Street Scene '06

I dont know exactly what the setlist was. But in the words of MJK, "Back up!, Everyone take a step back!". I was in the mix of that whole event with people falling and getting crushed and trampled. I was, however, front row from 46 & 2 until Aenima right next to Justin. I probably got enought Justin to last me a few months and it was totally worth it. A real review will be forthcoming, I need to drink some water and eat some tacos. You street -scene fuckers need to back the fuck up and stop trampling people.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 01:14 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Lost Keys - Short intro
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Rosetta Stoned - Short Portion of it
Schism
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

I may have missed another little short clip of a song in there, but thats how it was. Everyone pushing was unbelievable. I was up front and had to get out and go further back just to enjoy the show. Was great when Maynard stopped after the Pot and just sat there for about 10 minutes until everyone stopped pushing. It was an awesome show, but I'm too tired to write out a full review right now, so we'll keep it at this for now, haha.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 01:43 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

The pushing was out of control. I too was near the front and it was real bad. Some people fell and others got pushed on top of them. Then other people were going up to crowd surf to escape but they'd end up falling into the pit of people on the ground making the situation worse. At one point I was on the ground with people under me and I had to be helped up. I lost both of my shoes. (but found them at the end.) If Maynard hadn't said something when he did the situation would have gotten extremely ugly. I would be surprised if no one got seriously hurt as it is.

Once that was over, though, it was Tool as usual, incredible. Wish the pushing situation didn't have to happen, though. Disappointing SD. =\
Old 08-06-2006, 01:44 AM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Terrific show. It was Coachella pt. 2 though- similar set list. Damn wiped out. Street Scene is ok but it seemed a little low on the turnout. One good thing about it is their porta-john situation was vastly improved over Coachella, as was their beer situation (no problem getting a couple in me). Also, Yeah Yeah Yeah's got moved to main stage because My Chemical Romance cancelled (yay). So I ended up getting to see them (excellent- but Karen O's voice was shot).

As for Tool, some quick thoughts

highlights:

Maynard calling everyone 'douchebags'

Jambi
Jambi
...did I mention Jambi?

Maynard- Can I get an Amen?
Crowd: Amen!
Maynard- Can I get a Haleleuhjia?
Crowd- Haleleuhjia!
Maynard- Can I get a Jesus F*cking Christ?
Crowd- Jesus F*cking Christ!

Double time part in Schism

Vicarious- getting better and better live

Cons:

Traffic getting there- was everyone in LA required to drive down to San Diego today or something?

The dorks who broke out moshing in front of me during Ænema

As mentioned above, the same set list as Coachella. Who do I have to blow to get them to play Rosetta Stoned in So CA?

The guy in the bed of his pick-up parked next to my bike leaning over and yakking everywhere several times while I was trying to get my helmet on. Who knew so much spew could come out of one individual?

More laters..

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 08-06-2006 at 02:34 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 02:37 AM   #6

Bincount™: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
I lost both of my shoes. (but found them at the end.) If Maynard hadn't said something when he did the situation would have gotten extremely ugly. I would be surprised if no one got seriously hurt as it is.
Ahahaha my friend lost both of his shoes too and had to take the trolley and walk back a couple miles to the car in his socks.

I was in the middle of the pack to begin, then when the music started I was rushed to the very front which was cool for about half a song. Then I started getting crushed and had to be pushed out over the rail. I got to see Justing standing over me for like 10 seconds really well which was the only highlight of the night for me.

That was one of the worst situations I've been in at a concert, I actually was in fear for my life and from what I was hearing I wasn't alone. God bless the black security guard with dreadlocks who helped me out, if it weren't for him I would have been seriously injured.

The show was great nonetheless, especially the extended middle on schism. That was a nice suprise.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 02:42 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Basically a reiteration of that which has already been said but...

TOOL's performance was fantastic. Unfortunately, everything else concerning the Street Scene experience was a fucking travesty, and I wish I hadn't dropped hard-earned cash on it.

Now, this is my third TOOL show, and the band itself has been consistently brilliant each time. I drove up to Bakersfield to see TOOL a few years ago, got there early, waited calmly in a nearby hotel lobby while another fan played Lateralus on the piano, and finally enjoyed a mind-blowing and mostly calm show.

My second show was here in San Diego later along the same tour and, long story short, it wasn't until I puked blood all over myself that people stopped pushing and crushing me so I could get a breath of air near the end of the set.

Street Scene was worse. I braced myself for a certain degree of rowdiness once the set started, but couldn't have anticipated how ugly it got extremely quickly. After about 10 minutes of pushing, elbows, and hair-pulling (there are fucking girls and young kids around, mind you), I had to grab my girlfriend and plow my way outward, just as people were falling over and getting trampled. People were throwing shit into the crowd just to be assholes... it was a mess.

If Maynard hadn't stopped and told everyone multiple times to chill the fuck out, I'm positive people would have died. I'm surprised there weren't any casualties as it is. Meanwhile, real fans who came to enjoy the band rather than work out their sexual frustration suffered through the bullshit and inevitable pause (and possible loss of song in the setlist).

Discernable morals of the story:
1. San Diego is full of too many stupid, aggressive jarheads from the local military bases (this coming from someone who generally supports military work more than most other TOOL fans I meet).
2. Buy a good seat at a concert with seating rather than testing your own survival skills in a moronic pit.

I'm extremely let down and embarrassed. Terrible waste of a perfectly good show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
Cid
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 190

the band was tight as usual, but the venue and the crowd sucked. it was almost exactly the same set as coachella.

stinkfist
the pot
46 &2
jambi
schism
sober
lateralus
vicarious
aenema

the arena shows better have a different setlist...much different.
10/23/07 OiNK Never Forget
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHalo
you fucking pussies need to get out of the pit if you can't hang. Stay in the back with your moms next time. Anyway, I was in the front row after Lateralus, started about 25 rows back. Great show, only downside was the setlist.
So in other words you were pushing forward causing the problem. Everyone in the 24th and up row got to get trampled by you and everyone behind you. I'm 6'5"/220, I have no problem hanging anywhere, but there were a lot of smaller, helpless, scared people who were seriously getting hurt. At one point I was having a difficult time breathing, and my head is above the crowd.

I agree some people probably shouldn't be trying to be in the front but I've been at the front of a lot of shows, rougher shows than Tool, and this was by far the worst. I now see how it's possible for people to die in those situations.

Most of the people in the front, who got trampled, had been there since before the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. (I got there at 7:30.) You fucking laggers need to stay in the back if you can't get there early.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Yea that was my seventh tool concert and that was definetely the most violent. I was on the railing at the beginning and still on after the pot when everyone fell down right behind me and I was holding on for dear life. Somehow a guy got underneath me so I had to adjust a bit to get him out. I'm 6'3 and pretty big and that was the closest I ever was to wanting to move back, but I stayed in the first couple of rows the whole show.

To the guy that said he started in the 25th row and that if you can't take the moshing get out f off cause the heavy pushing started at the end of Yeah Yeah Yeahs and never stopped. So basically two hours of hanging on along with the five minutes of hanging on to our dear lives after the pot does not compare to your 10 minutes it took to get you close. Not to mention how many people I had to squat out cause they couldn't take it.

On to the show the two highlights for me were easily Jambi and Lateralus. Have you guys ever looked around at the end of Lateralus and watched how everyones eyes are glued to the front and everyone is marveled at what they're seeing? So awesome. As if the guitar solo in Jambi wasn't already my favorite part of 10000 days it definetely is now and I'll always see Maynard leaning back and waiving his cowboy hat every time I hear that part. I'm also now conviced the lyrics are "Jambi eyes."

I will eventually hear Rosetta Stoned live.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #11
Level 10 - Vehement

(and possible loss of song in the setlist).

We definitely lost a song because of the asshats who decided they needed to be up front even though they just rolled up from one of the other stages. You guys are really cool! I stay at the back where the sound booth is for these big open air events for several reasons 1) The sound is better back there, 2) I am able to see all of the visuals that Tool is known for, 3) I have my back to a wall of sorts so when the crush comes it's easier to stay rooted to your spot. I know people like to get up close to see the band's faces. But with Tool I think that is way over-rated. That said, I'm sorry for you folks who got crushed. It shouldn't happen.

Anyway, my guess is we lost Right In Two. Coachella was actually one song longer than the Street Scene list (The Patient). During soundcheck I heard them crack the high conga drum a few times Danny uses during that song (second verse). Hate to think that was the case. But still a great show. They were much tighter here than Coachella.

One other thing- the visuals for the 10k songs were new. One of the cool things about Jambi was the flaming orange visual they had going towards the end of it. Excellent stuff!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
I agree some people probably shouldn't be trying to be in the front but I've been at the front of a lot of shows, rougher shows than Tool, and this was by far the worst. I now see how it's possible for people to die in those situations.

Most of the people in the front, who got trampled, had been there since before the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. (I got there at 7:30.) You fucking laggers need to stay in the back if you can't get there early.
Oh man, I totally agree. Being in the middle of a Gwar concert wasn't nearly intense as this crowd. I stood front row the entire 7 hours of street scene for fuckin' Tool and eventually had to have a security guard pull me out before getting crushed (I'm 5'4" 130, but still can handle a fair amount of moshing).

Of course I refused to reposition my spot until Maynard came out. Nothing like rising above the crowd during the climax to Stinkfist. And shit, Lateralus was spectacular!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

http://news.yahoo.com/s/kgtv/20060806/lo_kgtv/9635965

Here's a San Diego article discussing the violence that occurred. 15 people had to be taken to the hospital, and I'm lucky I'm not one of them.

I arrived at Street Scene as soon as gates opened, grabbed a beer, then parked out in front of the main stage at 4. There weren't a whole lot of other bands I wanted to see here (other than Bloc Party, who were playing at the same time), so I was willing to stand around for 6 hours to wait for Tool. The New York Dolls were awesome, and Karen O has got a hell of a scream.

As soon as the Yeah Yeah Yeahs started to play, the pushing began. It only got worse when they finished, and when Tool started playing I was in about the 6th row to the right, exactly where all the hell took place. As soon as the Pot began, people started falling to the ground, where more people got pushed into them. I was sandwiched between two people, but I felt really bad for the couple of people laying on the floor screaming as others kept trampling them. I left after I found a way out, then went to the pit for a decent view and a little more room.

As for the show, I was a bit disappointed. Tool came on almost 10 minutes late, and the show ended 5 minutes earlier than it should have, not to mention the 10 minute break to calm people down. Jambi and Lateralis were my two favorite performances, and I'll probably go see Tool when they play alone. Hopefully, fans will calm down next time and realize that there's no point to pushing from the back, because there's no room in the front.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #14
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

"Good evening, douchebags."

This is how Maynard introduced Tool as they took the stage. In the end, it turned out that was probably the most appropriate way to address the crowd at Street Scene last night.

First, a recap of the day’s tragic events: My buddy and I drove down from Newport Beach, and the traffic was horrendous. Fortunately, we made it there at about 4:00, and my other friend was waiting with a parking space outside his apartment -- which is about a quarter mile from Qualcomm. Nice. We pre-partied at his place and walked over around 6:30, catching some of the Editors (very cool) and watching most of the Shins (who apparently have only two good songs, both on the Garden State soundtrack). The alcohol situation was abhorrent, with cocktails made with Captain Morgan, Parrot Bay, or Smirnoff, and one beer: Heineken. These were, as far as I know, the only libations being served. Sub-par liquor and the skunkiest beer on earth. Great.

So after all this, I kept saying, "Tool will make all this worth it. The traffic on the drive down, the astronomical prices we paid for beer at the Rapist Liquor Store™ so that we could pre-party, the terrible alcohol selection, the Shins sucking . . . Wait, is this a Nazi torture experiment? Jesus." But Tool would make everything better . . . I hoped.

And now, the show:

So we get up on the left side of the stage, slightly back from the middle, where we have an excellent view since the whole lot in that area is on a huge incline (which few others seem to figure out, interestingly enough). Tool comes out and opens with "Stinkfist," and everyone’s having a good time. Next is "The Pot," and Maynard has to tell the convicts up in front to back up and stop trampling each other (yes, during the song). I think that there may be problems ahead, later in the set, with people getting hurt. Wrong. It’s a problem right now. Maynard is still talking to them after the song. The fucking cavemen in the front can’t stop killing for a few minutes. Who are these people? The lead singer of the band whose music is so powerful and meaningful to your admittedly ultra-sophisticated intellect that it causes you to hurt those around you is telling you to step back. The band is obviously not going to continue until it’s safe. And you’re still acting like that. Brilliant. So now, we’re treated to ten minutes of ear candy which is kind of monotonous and obviously not designed to fill a ten-minute gap in the set. Thanks. Finally, after what looked like a Navy SEAL operation by security (and probably cops, paramedics, and firemen) to rescue injured people from the orgy of idiocy in the front, the band continues with "Forty-six and 2." They play the rest of the set, finishing at 11:55. Ten minutes for the morons, five minutes off the end, 15 minutes total (a sixth of the set -- got that?) . . . I’m not a mathematician, but you Cro-Magnon assholes just cost us at least a song. What was it? "Rosetta Stoned"? "The Patient" and "Opiate"? "Right in Two" and "Opiate"? We’ll never know, thanks to you.

I can only imagine the people responsible for this didn’t really care who was playing. "Fuck the band. I’m just here to trample people!" Fuck you, buddy. "Who’s playing? MURDER!" I hate every single person who couldn’t behave like a fucking human being last night. I wish your mom hadn’t loaned you the money to go to the show. One sixth of the set you cost us. I wonder what they would have played in those 15 minutes. They might have even surprised us with "Third Eye" or something. Were you even here to see the band?

This was my fifth Tool show (the first was Lollapalooza ’97, where, oddly enough, Snoop Dogg was also performing . . . although people actually cared back then). During the ten minutes of electronic percussion by Danny while the casualties were removed, I turned to my friend and said, "Worst Tool show ever." After seeing the whole show, do I still think that? Absolutely. The band was phenomenal, they had lots of new (and old) segues and changes to songs (particularly cool was "Vicarious," with Maynard playing a little keyboard and singing an interesting harmony to the usual melody of the bridge), and we got to hear a good setlist, which, while not surprising, definitely worked very well. But this was the first time that I actually felt a little ashamed of being a Tool fan. I mean, the asshole next to me who was screaming "I’ll keep digging" during the "Stinkfist" jam (along with a lot of other people – apparently no one ever learns) and shouted lots of shit for no pressing strategic reason and sang not just off-key but off-beat and I’m pretty sure slapped my ass at least once . . . that guy I expected. I was prepared for that moron. But the trampling was unacceptable. If you’re Tool fans, please stay at home and listen to their albums. If you’re just idiots who wanted to fuck shit up and didn’t care who the band was, please pick a different band next time. You ruined it for everyone last night, especially those poor people you stomped on with your Neanderthal fucking feet. Thank you, douchebags.

For those who live in San Diego, your next Tool show will be a little less crowded, because I don’t think I’ll ever drive down there for another concert. Maybe to enjoy the weather, but not for a repeat of last night. I have to assume that there will be more cretins who just care about stepping on each other, with or without the band playing.

Through no fault of the band’s, this was the worst Tool show I have ever, ever seen. And in case you haven’t guessed by now, I have nothing but contempt for you animals in the front. Don’t come out next time, please. You didn't just cost us a song or two. You actually HURT people. Way to go, douchebags.
<ru5ty> wat
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 12:29 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid
the band was tight as usual, but the venue and the crowd sucked. it was almost exactly the same set as coachella.

stinkfist
the pot
46 &2
jambi
schism
sober
lateralus
vicarious
aenema

the arena shows better have a different setlist...much different.
i couldn't agree more!!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

i have to agree with most of the posters. i was there since 6 to see tool. i was five people from the front of the stage through the subways, the new york dolls, and the yeah yeah yeahs. well, halfway through their set, at least. halfway through, the pushing (and shoving) got too much for my 5'9'' 140 pounds and i jumped over the barrier just so i wouldnt die. i had been waiting so long to see tool (this was my second show) and i wanted so very much to be front row for them, i thought i had earned it by showing up so early. but of course the crowd decided it was more important to see how much they could push and see how close they could get to maynard, so i enjoyed the set from fifty feet back on the right side.

the set lists mentioned before are right, and the show was overall very enjoyable (tool is simply amazing), but the street scene fuckers were not. im so glad i have my ticket to thet assigned seating show in AZ and i wont have to worry about this next time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 12:57 PM   #17
Level 10 - Vehement

Umm.. why did my last post get deleted, mods? Because it didn't talk specifically about Tool for its entire length? That's kinda lame. Since this was a fesitval it doesn't seem reasonable to just mention Tool if there were other bands there that were good or had an affect on the overall enjoyment of the show.

If we like Isis and talk about their performance as opener in one of these threads should we expect those will be deleted too?
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #18
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

They did not play "Lost Keys" or "Rosetta Stoned." Where is everyone getting this? There may have been a slight "Lost Keys" vibe to the intro and a piece of a "Rosetta Stoned" riff in that one segue, but to actually include them in the setlist -- especially without any indication whatsoever that they didn't really play them, like in the standard setlist post at the top there -- is just bogus. I think people are maybe reading a little too far into the ear candy if they felt they should list those songs in the setlist. The actual setlist has been posted up there -- it's the one without those two songs. Were you guys at a different show than I was?
<ru5ty> wat
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

I began waiting in the front to see Tool around 5 or so, and there were cool people (Tool fans) to talk to during the bands we saw while waiting for Tool. Those people were fine, and I'm glad to have met them. Then came the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

The pushing was insane...but not just that, it was pointless. You don't need to start shoving your way to the front to see Tool an hour and a half before they go on, fuckin dumbasses. I just kept thinking to myself that if the crowd was this violent for Tool over an hour before they even began rolling out Danny Carey's drums, I couldn't imagine the clusterfuck of a situation it would be when Tool actually came on. And the dumbass, muscle headed, red bull induced, raised truck driving douchebags didn't disappoint...it was dangerous to be up front in that swarm of morons.

And to the previous poster telling people to go to the back if they can't handle the pit....The circle pits seemed like a Britney Spears concert compared to the huge surge going on up front. The pit wasn't a problem, I actually was able to breathe in the pit...What is hard is when you are stuck between four people with a wave of force pushing you to one side (practically a 45 degree angle) and not being able to stand back up straight without the help from the other people pushing you back, coupled with the dumb bitch behind you with her elbow in the back of your neck and the 200 pound guy crowd surfing who just kicked you in the back of the head.

Maynard said it aptly, "Its only rock and roll. Its not worth dying over"

Thanks to the morons we all lost a song. The best part of the pot where everyone is rocking out was also ruined with Maynard having to tell people to chill the fuck out and take a step back. The ten minutes of Justin, Adam, and Maynard going to see what was up and beg the crowd to move probably didn't excite the band too much to give us any treat either...they ended 5 minutes early.

The music itself was great. Everything was incredibly tight...Justin Chancellor is probably the most underrated bassist in music...he is a lot of fun to watch. Danny Carey is all the more better live, and Adam's guitar/talk box solo in Jambi is amazing --- Jambi was probably the highlight of the night. Two minor fuck ups in some songs (I really can't remember which two, just that there were two) that only certain people would pick up on, but you just see how cohesive they are in how quick they get it together...Danny steps up big.

The sound at the venue was not great...some parts sounded muffled...though this was no fault to the guys playing the instruments...that was perfect. Most obvious case was Justin's intro on Schism and the chorus in Forty Six and Two.

Still it was an amazing show, my first time seeing Tool, and my high expectations were more than met. I can't wait to see them in Oakland on the 3rd (ROSETTA STONED PLEASE!) Finally, I expect a crazy (heck even a bit violent) crowd at certain shows...the nature of some of Tool's songs you can't help it. And energized crowds make these shows a lot of fun. But when people are getting trampled and passing out, its enough...some people need to seriously consider otherways of releasing their testosterone...try seal clubbing, MotoX riding, or hey...you know what, I think Disturbed and Staind are going on tour soon, maybe you guys should check that out.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

yeah bummers about the "douchebags" i myself was to the left of the stage, which like mentioned above was on an incline. I got there when the yeah yeah yeahs started, and as soon as they finished it started getting gnarly, and stinkfist was INTENSE, but i was loving it...it was my first tool concert and so far it seemed sick. And then when pot came on it just got outta control, and luckily maynard said what he did. And unfortanetly i am near positive we missed out on Rosetta Stoned because of it :,(
But after the 10 min break for the cavemen. (how was it, that they would still mosh and crowd surf and go crazy, when they stopped playing music and asked them to chill out) Sometimes i just HATE people. But yeah, after the break it was chill. Where i was at, it wasnt to bad at all. and i was able to smoke my joints in pretty much peace. And i actually was able to stay within 10-15 ft of adam the whole time.
So overall an awesome experience being that it was my first tool, but horrible in that people are drunken assholes, that caused me to miss out on possibly hearing what i was most excited to see.
"Ever heard of Jesus, or Buddha, or Christna, or Muhammad? Any of those guys? They had some pretty good ideas. Then there agents, started trying to make some money on em, and fucked everything up. Never trust an agent. This songs about those agents."
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #21
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicolli
yeah bummers about the "douchebags" i myself was to the left of the stage, which like mentioned above was on an incline. I got there when the yeah yeah yeahs started, and as soon as they finished it started getting gnarly, and stinkfist was INTENSE, but i was loving it...it was my first tool concert and so far it seemed sick. And then when pot came on it just got outta control, and luckily maynard said what he did. And unfortanetly i am near positive we missed out on Rosetta Stoned because of it :,(
But after the 10 min break for the cavemen. (how was it, that they would still mosh and crowd surf and go crazy, when they stopped playing music and asked them to chill out) Sometimes i just HATE people. But yeah, after the break it was chill. Where i was at, it wasnt to bad at all. and i was able to smoke my joints in pretty much peace. And i actually was able to stay within 10-15 ft of adam the whole time.
So overall an awesome experience being that it was my first tool, but horrible in that people are drunken assholes, that caused me to miss out on possibly hearing what i was most excited to see.
FWIW, we most likely did not miss Rosetta Stoned. I don't think they were planning on playing it. They have been opening other shows with it and so far it has only been used as an opener. Maynard has to have a small box attached to him and then I think he does the whole intro using a megaphone type contraption that goes through the box. I also think they need a pretty good sound check to do that one and I don't think that's something you really get at these big festival venues. So all that said, don't think it was ever on the set list. More likely we lost Opiate or Right In Two, imo.

And, as noted above, the band were probably just thinking they needed to do the basics and then wrap it up before anyone got hurt. They certainly would not have been inclined to give us a little extra because of everything that happened. Too bad because they were really nailing it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

They did NOT play Lost Keys (besides for a few riffs at the beginning when they walked on the stage), and they didnt play ANY of Rosetta Stoned. Seeing Rosetta Stoned live was one of the main reasons I went to this concert (because street scene fucking sucks overall and is such a hassle), and I was waiting for any sign that they might play it next. It never came though.

I dont know if they would have played it (prob not with that non-hardcore-fan crowd), but possibly, if we had that extra 15 mins that we lost due to idiots.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #23

Bincount™: 271

Words can not express how fucking disappointing street scene was. A very good performance from the guys. Highlights: Jambi, 46&2, Schism with the new jam in the middle. Schism was amazing.
On the crowd: I am glad that most of you have gone under whatever rocks you have came out of last night. I have never felt a more aggressive meat-headed vibe than I did at street-scene. When tool came on I was pushed all the way to front and some douchebag wanted to fight me cause I pushed him. Look around you fucking moron, its not my fault. And the girl who was babbling at me and when I just stared at her, the look in your eyes was priceless. As you tried to punch and kick me while the crowd pushed you away from me. You had nothing but hate and fury. Thank you San Diego for ensuring Tool never comes back here. Thank you street-scene for reminding me why I hate southern California. Thank you festivals for drawing out the worst of the worst. I can't wait for some actual tool shows. The people you meet when it is just tool are some of the best people ever and there are always good vibes.

I was almost crushed to death at street-scene and I didnt even get a lousy t-shirt.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 04:09 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

I was just to the right of center and about seven rows from the front, and I have to say that this concert was one of the most violent and intense things I've ever experienced. The fucking douchebags that were pushing totally ruinted this one. On top of it all, I was trying to protect a girl that was 5'1"! I'm a good foot taller than that, so I was managing to survive, but she was getting crushed and couldn't even breathe. We had to pull out after stinkfist because if we hadn't I know she would have died.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHalo
you fucking pussies need to get out of the pit if you can't hang. Stay in the back with your moms next time. Anyway, I was in the front row after Lateralus, started about 25 rows back. Great show, only downside was the setlist.
The pits were very typical, nothing new going on there. However, it was the pushing up front (which you missed by the time you got your pansy twat ass up there for the fucking credits) that was extraordinary. Thank you for being the first mind blowing imbecile to come forward and claim responsibility for helping to ruin a concert. Congrats on your toughness we are in awe! Especially the guy I saw with the broken arm that looked like he had two elbows. I bet he'll stay in the back with his mom next time!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Here it goes:

WORST TOOL SHOW EVER for me. I went with my girlfriend (as I did at coachella) and should have learned my lesson from Coachella...DO NOT get close for Tool. There didnt seem to be that much pushing after the yeah yeah yeahs, but the crowd became closer. As soon as the lights went out and the band came on stage, you could feel the surge of people. As soon as the Intro into Stinkfist hit...CHAOS! I had to drag my girlfriend (again) out of the masses and thank god we did it quickly. One song later, I decided to jump into the pit. My lady was standing right outside the pit and the second I left, some douchebag hit here in the stomach causing her to vomit and move away. I was only in the pit for 2 minutes and lost her (I was wearing a huge red cowboy hat, and to anyone who decides to mosh with something like that on, dont, because you make an easy target. Trust me.) I spent the rest of The Pot, the intermission to calm the crowd, 46&2, and Jambi looking for her. Random people kept picking up her cell and I thought she had lost it. I eventually found her and enjoyed the rest of the show.

Highlights:

The "double time" part in Schism (absolutely amazing)
Lateralus (the crowd was hypnotized the whole song)
Vicarious (I dont think that song can be any better live)
Ænima (this is, by far, the best song Tool does live. Everyone released all of their last bit of energy into this song.)

Overall, the concert was 6/10. If I wouldnt have lost my lady, 7/10. It was bullshit that all of the meatheads ruined everything by crushing people. I do believe they would have played Right In Two if it wasnt for the long delay. Oh well, heres to Staples Center.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 05:12 PM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

Worst crowd ever. But, jesus, if ANYONE has audio of the schism version played, please, please PM me and help a fan who was in heaven at the time.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #28
Level 10 - Vehement

You know, I have read many complaints about Tool's fans (at the Coachella boards, for ex) accusing them of being aggressive meatheads. So, although it seems convenient to just blame San Diego or the event itself, I really don't know what to think after last night. I sure hope this was an isolated thing and the next three shows I am going to are mellower.

One last thing (and then I'll shut my yap), as I was making my way out of the venue in the mass of bodies, towards the bottom of the exit where things were really jammed, there were two couples, guy/girl, just standing there blocking things. The guys had their backs to the crowd with the girls in front of them and were 'protecting' their girls by making everyone go around them in some sort of idiotic, testerone fueled ritual of supreme idiocy to show their manhood. I mean, it is just as farked up as it sounds. I still can hardly believe I saw something so moronic. But that's the type of person that was there last night. :(
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Terrible show because of the crowd. My fourth show and definitely the least enjoyable. The entire band was on point as usual, but I'm embarrassed to say I'm from San Diego after last night's crowd fiasco. I was up in the front at the end of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (who were pretty awesome live, I thought) with my buddy and I couldn't handle it. I got out of there and backed off about 50 feet in the middle of Stinkfist. Back there it was much more tolerable and I actually got to enjoy the majority of the concert. Highlight of the show for me was the sped up breakdown in the middle of Schism as well as the intro to Sober, sort of a modified version of Merkaba. Hopefully they end up coming back, but if it means I have to go to Vegas, Arizona, or LA to see them, I'll do that too. Thoughts go out to those injured in the concert last night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

I have to agree with just about everyone here that the crowd was rediculous. I wasn't even up front and I was getting shoved around worse than I have at any other concert I've been to. It seemed like where I was (right side, 30 rows back or so) the whole crowd turned into one big mosh pit during The Pot. One of the girls I was with got hit in the chin pretty hard and almost got her ear ring ripped out. I didn't get hurt at all but the crowd definitely ruined some of the songs for me.

With that said I thought the band put on a terrific show nevertheless. Like others have said, the guitar solo in Jambi was amazing. I thought 46&2 was awesome after the crowd settled down a little. Lateralus was awesome. Actually, all the songs were awesome. I was happy to at least get to see Vicarious live.

I'm looking forward to the show at the Staples Center.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

I was up front where everyone was getting trampled. After spending who knows how long trying to lift all the people back up from the ground, I wisely decided to get the hell out of there. I learned something today. I don't need to be in the front row to enjoy the show. I actually had a much better time standing way the hell in the back. I just hope I can remember this lesson for the Vegas show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #32
Level 10 - Vehement

Welp, that about tears it- check the friggin Fresno show- Rosetta Stoned! Smack in the middle of the set! Thanks a lot all you people who farked this show up. Not like any of you will read this, but in case you do- DIAF!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-07-2006, 12:02 AM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

so Fresno tonight, same setlist as last night in SD, EXCEPT. They played Rosetta Stoned before Sober.......Once again, i still believe we should have heard that song...:(
"Ever heard of Jesus, or Buddha, or Christna, or Muhammad? Any of those guys? They had some pretty good ideas. Then there agents, started trying to make some money on em, and fucked everything up. Never trust an agent. This songs about those agents."
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11
Welp, that about tears it- check the friggin Fresno show- Rosetta Stoned! Smack in the middle of the set! Thanks a lot all you people who farked this show up. Not like any of you will read this, but in case you do- DIAF!
OMG you beat me by one minute! HA
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #35

Bincount™: 12

that crowd was completly fucking stupid.

i was along the rail for the first 3 songs, but after that i decided that i liked my ribs, and wanted to keep them as they currently are.

i moved my way back and got more space near the pit. even though i didnt want to pit, i got pushed into it many times... and those idiots were completely off base with tools music or its intent.... they moshed durring the breakdown in schism for gods sake...

"cold silence has, a tendency to, atrophy any, since of compassion?"
-DUDE, FUCK YEAH, LETS FUCKING BEAT THE SHIT OUTTA EVERYONE, THAT LYRIC REALLY MAKES ME WANNA GO APE SHIT

there's a reason i was spitting on those fuckers that night.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:19 AM   #36
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 376

not the greatest show.

I rolled up to the stage at around 10:15. my friend lives right around the corner so fortunately I didn't have to deal with driving, parking, or waiting around. We stood about 40 feet back from the stage, in front of Justin.

They opened with stinkfist, and out of the 8 times I've seen them play this song, this one was the best...they have truly perfected this song. I couldn't see any of the pushing that was going on but it must have been really bad. The highlight of the show for me was the new fast part in Schism..Danny was insane. I was kinda dissapointed by the weak, predictable setlist.

During the entire show I kept feeling someone grab my ass, and since I was so stoned, it was freaking me out a little bit. During Vicarious, I caught the perpetrator red-handed. To my pleasant suprise I discovered that the person grabbing my ass was female, and actually quite hot. she started rubbing her tits and ass all over me, and tried to put her hands down my pants. I had fun messing around with her, but I missed most of Vicarious because I wasn't paying attention. oh well.

I really hope they start switching things up soon.
Entwined within the sadder of days.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #37
Level 3 - Talker

i'm truly disappointed to be from san diego. like others, i was trampled and on the bottom of about 6 people on top of me with no way out, no ability to breathe, and it was one of the scariest moments i've ever experienced-and to have that happen at a tool concert is absolutely ridiculous. beautiful music, complete chaos in the crowd. schism's "quick breakdown" was truly amazing...but the whole atmosphere after that crowd experience was just simply disappointing after waiting for 4 years to see them again, stand through bands for 6 or so hours, only to be struggling for my life...i'm in awe, and the people that read these probably aren't the cause of the problem, cept for that one guy...so they'll never learn and never care to. just another example of the disappointment in human nature and big groups in general. there's always going to be some that ruin it for all.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

"Look out for your brothers and sisters. No one has to die in rock n' roll", to quote Maynard from Saturday nights Street Scene show. Unfortunately for one concert goer this advice may have come too late, as they are still in the hospital with an injury described as life threatening.

As much as I enjoyed the show and thought the performance was incredible, the fact that someone is fighting for their life after a Tool show is disgusting. Having grown up on the whole punk and hardcore scene in the 80's I have seen and been in plenty of rowdy crowds. One thing I noticed at Saturdays show was the mosh pits and the aggression in general had less to do with the music than just causing someone bodily harm. Couple that with a handul of people shoving a mass crowd of people from behind and the recipe was set for a disaster.

Maybe I'm getting old, but this was the first show where I actually caught myself cheering for a security guard to beat the hell out of some of those morons . Granted we lost at least a song but the show itself could have very easily been cancelled as soon as the police captain stepped onstage, but credit Maynard for doing his part and eventually settling the crowd down enough to finish the set. Hell, after witnessing 17 people getting carried out on stretchers I wouldn't have blamed him for reiterating that we were "douchebags" and calling it a night.

And for all the idiots who caused such an ugly scene, if you ever go to another concert I hope you think of the poor souls who came close to death and to the one still staving it off.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

Most importantly...TOOL sounded amazing!! I will never again go to another festival setting concert though. It was like being in the armpit of CA. You can't take already stupid people and give them alcohol!!! All these freaks of nature walking around completely bombed, yelling out how they are #1 TOOL fans and then ruining the show for everyone around them including themselves!! That's brilliant...Can't wait to see them here in AZ. on the 9th from a seat!! I do hope the setlist changes some. Only because I did get to see them here in May and I would like to hear some other stuff as well, but I will take whatever they give!! But maybe I could suggest Pushit or Crawl Away!! Anyway, glad I got to hear some TOOL live!!! Until Sept. 9th.....
Old 08-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

I was highly disappointed with the crowd, but Tool sounded fantastic. They did the best that they could in a really bad situation. I was really far back because I knew that there would be madness up front so I wan't near any of the craziness, but if it was bad enough to make the usually stoic Maynard STOP in the middle of a song, you know it was gnarly.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: