Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
12-19-2007, 12:50 PM

Well I just went and got the DVD single soon as I left work yesterday and popped it in. The video is bad ass! It has a few extra features that the Schism and Parabola singles didn't have which is nice but, unless there's a secret easter egg yet to be found, no live footage =-(

Think we'll EVER get a live DVD?
Old 12-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135
VICARIOUS DVD

Well I just went and got the DVD single soon as I left work yesterday and popped it in. The video is bad ass! It has a few extra features that the Schism and Parabola singles didn't have which is nice but, unless there's a secret easter egg yet to be found, no live footage =-(

12-19-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post

Nope.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: VICARIOUS DVD

Quote:

Nope.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
hemiola's Avatar hemiola
12-19-2007, 01:45 PM

Yep
Old 12-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 20

Yep
manyc
12-19-2007, 01:51 PM

Hopefully one day. From what I've read, they have stacks and stacks of live footage.. probably professional quality live footage. So why not a live DVD man? Come on.. it would sell so much better than just one video for one song. Which isn't even the best song on the album in my opinon. That's just me though.

But really - give us a live DVD tool, please. We would fucking LOVE it.

...I think they know that, and that's why they don't do it. heh. dicks.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Hopefully one day. From what I've read, they have stacks and stacks of live footage.. probably professional quality live footage. So why not a live DVD man? Come on.. it would sell so much better than just one video for one song. Which isn't even the best song on the album in my opinon. That's just me though.

But really - give us a live DVD tool, please. We would fucking LOVE it.

...I think they know that, and that's why they don't do it. heh. dicks.
Tool_Is_Sick
12-19-2007, 03:14 PM

I love the Video as well and its probally the most visually stunning video made by Tool because its in CGI. The 3 legged destroyer :)

As for live footage..Why would anyone say that Tool wont put out live footage? Are you serious? Tool is going to make it very special for all of us and if you think otherwise...your a dumbass. It might not be released this year or next year..but they will release a dvd that will be so fuckin badass. I cant wait for that day to come.

If you ACTUALLY purchased the dvd..there are 10 3-D pictures. (Which are totally fuckin awesome.) But one caught my attention that has the man holding his hands in front of his chest with his middle and ring fingers together while his pinky and index fingers and thumb are pointing outwards. Does this mean something with any significance?

My girlfriend noticed it and she said that it meant "father and the holy spirit." or something along those lines. She learned about it in school..Im obviously not 100% on this so I decided to throw it out there. I hope someone else knows what I am "TRYING" to say here.

Cheers.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10

I love the Video as well and its probally the most visually stunning video made by Tool because its in CGI. The 3 legged destroyer :)

As for live footage..Why would anyone say that Tool wont put out live footage? Are you serious? Tool is going to make it very special for all of us and if you think otherwise...your a dumbass. It might not be released this year or next year..but they will release a dvd that will be so fuckin badass. I cant wait for that day to come.

If you ACTUALLY purchased the dvd..there are 10 3-D pictures. (Which are totally fuckin awesome.) But one caught my attention that has the man holding his hands in front of his chest with his middle and ring fingers together while his pinky and index fingers and thumb are pointing outwards. Does this mean something with any significance?

My girlfriend noticed it and she said that it meant "father and the holy spirit." or something along those lines. She learned about it in school..Im obviously not 100% on this so I decided to throw it out there. I hope someone else knows what I am "TRYING" to say here.

Cheers.
parables in the world's Avatar parables in the world
12-19-2007, 03:23 PM

I have a feeling they're gonna release a live DVD of all their Epic songs...

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 14

I have a feeling they're gonna release a live DVD of all their Epic songs...

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
12-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Eventually they will release a live DVD.

I think they just like watching us beg for it.

Sadistic bastards!
Old 12-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Eventually they will release a live DVD.

I think they just like watching us beg for it.

Sadistic bastards!
12-20-2007, 06:31 PM

should happen at some point..
Old 12-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

should happen at some point..
12-20-2007, 09:44 PM

As much as I hate it, I honestly think their best timing to release it would be after their next and quite possibly last album, right before retirement.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #9
Level 12 - Scurrilous

As much as I hate it, I honestly think their best timing to release it would be after their next and quite possibly last album, right before retirement.
12-20-2007, 09:49 PM

I hope there will be a next album. Yeah, that would be a good time to release a live DVD, but it would be kind of sad knowing they wouldn't make anymore music.

I know I got the Vicarious DVD for Christmas, but I'm not allowed to open it yet.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #10
Banned.

Bincount™: 5

I hope there will be a next album. Yeah, that would be a good time to release a live DVD, but it would be kind of sad knowing they wouldn't make anymore music.

I know I got the Vicarious DVD for Christmas, but I'm not allowed to open it yet.
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
12-21-2007, 04:30 AM

Considering they would put out just one more album and call it quits, there are still other options. O.K. they wouldn't be making music together but like MJK is known for a project or two. So he'll have his twisted toughts find a way to some form of music. As in APC, as in Puscifer or his next collaboration what so ever. Maybe Justin or Adam would put up a project. And there is always Dan's Pigmy Love Circus.

And ofcourse it is very common these days, they will reunite within a decade and go on a lucrative world tour.

Enough from the crystal ball. Let us see what reality will bring in the future.........
Old 12-21-2007, 04:30 AM   #11
Jedi Master

Considering they would put out just one more album and call it quits, there are still other options. O.K. they wouldn't be making music together but like MJK is known for a project or two. So he'll have his twisted toughts find a way to some form of music. As in APC, as in Puscifer or his next collaboration what so ever. Maybe Justin or Adam would put up a project. And there is always Dan's Pigmy Love Circus.

And ofcourse it is very common these days, they will reunite within a decade and go on a lucrative world tour.

Enough from the crystal ball. Let us see what reality will bring in the future.........
12-21-2007, 11:30 AM

Hell, I think for their own good, why not just release new material and not go on tour. It's obviously the most draining part of any new album is dealing with singing the same shit every fucking night for like a year and a half straight dealing with obnoxious fans and media. If I were in their shoes I think it'd be so much nicer to be able to create new material and just not have to go through the hassle of touring.

Although. I'm guessing that may be a part of the contract with each new album release for almost any band, I'm not sure.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Hell, I think for their own good, why not just release new material and not go on tour. It's obviously the most draining part of any new album is dealing with singing the same shit every fucking night for like a year and a half straight dealing with obnoxious fans and media. If I were in their shoes I think it'd be so much nicer to be able to create new material and just not have to go through the hassle of touring.

Although. I'm guessing that may be a part of the contract with each new album release for almost any band, I'm not sure.
12-21-2007, 01:06 PM

You're right on that one. But when your "worst-case-scenario" (post 9) happens to be reality and they will indeed retire after one final album, it will be more lucrative to be touring after years of silence. No stress considering new lyrics which will have to connect with the former work. No illegal downloads = loss of valuable new input. Plus the best example for a succesful reunion is (imo) Led Zeppelin in London last week. Ca$htime!

But let's not jump to the conclusions. Enjoy this as it lasts. Let's start worrying when the shit really hits the fan.

Last edited by Rolo; 12-21-2007 at 01:41 PM..
Old 12-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
Jedi Master

You're right on that one. But when your "worst-case-scenario" (post 9) happens to be reality and they will indeed retire after one final album, it will be more lucrative to be touring after years of silence. No stress considering new lyrics which will have to connect with the former work. No illegal downloads = loss of valuable new input. Plus the best example for a succesful reunion is (imo) Led Zeppelin in London last week. Ca$htime!

But let's not jump to the conclusions. Enjoy this as it lasts. Let's start worrying when the shit really hits the fan.

Last edited by Rolo; 12-21-2007 at 01:41 PM..
12-21-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Agreed, still, no matter what this last album just felt incomplete to me. Like it was missing something. Don't get me wrong, I like it...I just feel more like well for instance, ya' ever broke up with a girlfriend and then immediately started dating some other girl just to fill that gap/void. It feels great but on the inside you know it's fake and empty...kinda like that.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Agreed, still, no matter what this last album just felt incomplete to me. Like it was missing something. Don't get me wrong, I like it...I just feel more like well for instance, ya' ever broke up with a girlfriend and then immediately started dating some other girl just to fill that gap/void. It feels great but on the inside you know it's fake and empty...kinda like that.
12-21-2007, 02:08 PM

I think i know what you mean. But wouldn't it be "Tool-worthy" to say; let's stop at the top. Instead of going on 'till no one gives a fuck. Can you imagine Maynard on tour like some sort of Mick Jagger? (don't they have an ambulance right next to the stage by now? Just in case?)

Personally, i think after the hurting process and finally accepting their retirement, you can look back on a band which can look itself in the mirror and say: we were never sellouts!

Pain will come eventually, but i rather face a band who will quit on a high quality base than one which became a parody of itself.

Last edited by Rolo; 12-21-2007 at 02:27 PM..
Old 12-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #15
Jedi Master

I think i know what you mean. But wouldn't it be "Tool-worthy" to say; let's stop at the top. Instead of going on 'till no one gives a fuck. Can you imagine Maynard on tour like some sort of Mick Jagger? (don't they have an ambulance right next to the stage by now? Just in case?)

Personally, i think after the hurting process and finally accepting their retirement, you can look back on a band which can look itself in the mirror and say: we were never sellouts!

Pain will come eventually, but i rather face a band who will quit on a high quality base than one which became a parody of itself.

Last edited by Rolo; 12-21-2007 at 02:27 PM..
12-21-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:

I agree but I'm quite sure they have 1 record left in their contract
Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 PM   #16
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

12-22-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, i was aware of that and i think so too. Sorry for my bad english, if i did not make that clear in my earlier posts.

Last edited by Rolo; 12-22-2007 at 02:03 PM..
Old 12-22-2007, 01:28 PM   #17
Jedi Master

Quote:
Yes, i was aware of that and i think so too. Sorry for my bad english, if i did not make that clear in my earlier posts.

Last edited by Rolo; 12-22-2007 at 02:03 PM..
thezeusanator
12-22-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
You don't think they'll get resigned, or try to release something independently like Puscifer? Maynard said they'll make music together until one of them dies.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:48 PM   #18
Banned.

Bincount™: 84

Quote:
You don't think they'll get resigned, or try to release something independently like Puscifer? Maynard said they'll make music together until one of them dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezeusanator View Post

It would be cool if they were immortal.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #19
On Probation

Bincount™: 130

Quote:

dj_philharmonic's Avatar dj_philharmonic
12-23-2007, 07:45 AM

its only a matter of time before the release a "live" DVD. I believe that after the touring they will cull all the sets of music during their tours and
make a wild ass video. That way people can re-capture the moments.
a movie would be sicc
Old 12-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #20
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Location: Montucky, where men are men, sheep are nervous, women are scarce.
Bincount™: 57

its only a matter of time before the release a "live" DVD. I believe that after the touring they will cull all the sets of music during their tours and
make a wild ass video. That way people can re-capture the moments.
a movie would be sicc
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
12-23-2007, 01:23 PM

If the next record comes out 'round 2010, as i'm guessing, they would be touring for about, let's say, a year or two? After that it'll be 2012/2013. Maynard turns 49 in 2013. Since they've completed their contract by then, the time of overthinking the future is at hand. Maynard has a flourishing wineyard to attend and his sideprojects could, in some way, satisfy his artistic needs. APC & Puscifer have proven to be succesful. He could seriously be considering to slow down.

And in what way could they really go out with a BANG! With a live DVD, or some sort of movieproject as i have read rumors about every now and then. The fans are hungry so why don't feed 'em. They'll feast, that''s for sure!

Last edited by Rolo; 12-23-2007 at 01:32 PM..
Old 12-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #21
Jedi Master

If the next record comes out 'round 2010, as i'm guessing, they would be touring for about, let's say, a year or two? After that it'll be 2012/2013. Maynard turns 49 in 2013. Since they've completed their contract by then, the time of overthinking the future is at hand. Maynard has a flourishing wineyard to attend and his sideprojects could, in some way, satisfy his artistic needs. APC & Puscifer have proven to be succesful. He could seriously be considering to slow down.

And in what way could they really go out with a BANG! With a live DVD, or some sort of movieproject as i have read rumors about every now and then. The fans are hungry so why don't feed 'em. They'll feast, that''s for sure!

Last edited by Rolo; 12-23-2007 at 01:32 PM..

Then Uwe Boll ends up directing it and we all just stop giving a fuck
Old 12-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #22
On Probation

Then Uwe Boll ends up directing it and we all just stop giving a fuck
Tool_Is_Sick
12-23-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
It would be cool, but... damn, man, it's been forever. They could have released at least one live DVD long before now. If they're going to release it, why do they keep their fans waiting?

Maybe they're waiting until they retire?
Do people seriously think that Tool wont put out a live dvd someday or another? They have to and they will. I obviously dont know for sure. DUH! but im HOPING and if they do..imo..it will be the best live dvd ever. They keep us waiting because they are Tool and they can. We waited a year and a half for an 8+ min video of vicarious.

I know it shouldnt take 15+ years to provide one to their fans but give them another 15+ years and we will all be enjoying our popcorn watching a live dvd with all the goodies that we've always wanted from Tool.

Hey...I can dream cant I?
Old 12-23-2007, 09:02 PM   #23
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
It would be cool, but... damn, man, it's been forever. They could have released at least one live DVD long before now. If they're going to release it, why do they keep their fans waiting?

Maybe they're waiting until they retire?
Do people seriously think that Tool wont put out a live dvd someday or another? They have to and they will. I obviously dont know for sure. DUH! but im HOPING and if they do..imo..it will be the best live dvd ever. They keep us waiting because they are Tool and they can. We waited a year and a half for an 8+ min video of vicarious.

I know it shouldnt take 15+ years to provide one to their fans but give them another 15+ years and we will all be enjoying our popcorn watching a live dvd with all the goodies that we've always wanted from Tool.

Hey...I can dream cant I?
12-25-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I never said I didn't think they would. My only point being is that we can count on at least 1 more for sure. They may not do another one after that, who knows
Old 12-25-2007, 04:50 PM   #24
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I never said I didn't think they would. My only point being is that we can count on at least 1 more for sure. They may not do another one after that, who knows

If they pull that fucking loophole shit, i'm gonna be pissed.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #25
On Probation

If they pull that fucking loophole shit, i'm gonna be pissed.
dissected-detcessid's Avatar dissected-detcessid
12-26-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
After their next album and tour they'll release a monstrous 30-DVD box containing concert registration from since early as possible in their career (say 3 concert DVD's per album or so). Including 3 DVD's with shows they recorded but didn't tape (say Opiate area). Then they have a couple of DVD's (say 3) with unreleased and rare material. Then a DVD with their Tool Movie as they hinted at. Then a DVD with a documentary about Blair from Toolband.

And it will cost around 600-700 dollar (I gues 666 dollar) and we will all pay & buy.
YES!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
After their next album and tour they'll release a monstrous 30-DVD box containing concert registration from since early as possible in their career (say 3 concert DVD's per album or so). Including 3 DVD's with shows they recorded but didn't tape (say Opiate area). Then they have a couple of DVD's (say 3) with unreleased and rare material. Then a DVD with their Tool Movie as they hinted at. Then a DVD with a documentary about Blair from Toolband.

And it will cost around 600-700 dollar (I gues 666 dollar) and we will all pay & buy.
YES!
Dichotomousdesigner
12-27-2007, 09:08 AM

Okay, so, I'm watching while David Cross talks to me, and I notice he can't quite get the F-bomb out. It sounds like he's scratching down a low E string with a razorblade and then with some techno beep-beeps thrown in. Oh wait. It was censored! I bought one copy from Hot Topic (I was desperate) and one at Best Buy (I was Christmas shopping) and both David Crosses do this. Now... I'm not buying clean and wholesome family rock and roll videos here. So kudos to them, if that was the joke. Right? Otherwise I want my damn money back.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

Okay, so, I'm watching while David Cross talks to me, and I notice he can't quite get the F-bomb out. It sounds like he's scratching down a low E string with a razorblade and then with some techno beep-beeps thrown in. Oh wait. It was censored! I bought one copy from Hot Topic (I was desperate) and one at Best Buy (I was Christmas shopping) and both David Crosses do this. Now... I'm not buying clean and wholesome family rock and roll videos here. So kudos to them, if that was the joke. Right? Otherwise I want my damn money back.
12-27-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:

You're out of your fucking mind. Put the crackpipe down
Old 12-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #28
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

You're out of your fucking mind. Put the crackpipe down
12-27-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:

LOL!!!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #29
Jedi Master

Quote:

LOL!!!!!
12-27-2007, 09:00 PM

It surprises there's less talk about the actual video, and more jerking off to the idea of live DVDs. Don't get me wrong, I get chills thinking about it, but I believe Vicarious could very well be their best video.

There's a lot of symbolism in this video. The eyes are truly a fundamental part in the direction of this video. In a lot of ways I feel that the faces coming from within the pupils represent the separation we feel when viewing life/death from a distance. There's a feeling that is really present while watching TV. It's that feeling of "My eyes have only seen this. This is not a real experience... This is not real." When we watch the news, one has to remember that there are certain realities being presented to us. Even the shows we watch are portraying REAL emotions and actions, although it may be acting or the news, we are tied to these programs emotionally. If you've ever cried when old yeller died, felt disgusted at the news, winced when someone dies in a movie, or got wood while watching a hot sex scene, you've experienced real life circumstances vicariously. What I believe this song is addressing is how we seem to replace real emotions and events experienced in first person, with the one's we experience third person while sitting on the couch staring into a box.

It's haunting how disconnected people feel from what we see on T.V. All of us really are one big net of being. The only thing we can know at any given moment is that we all are collectively and simultaneously occupying and sharing this space and time (Earth.) I find bringing Alex Grey's "Net of Being" painting to life to be a perfect fit for this video.

I think the moment of catharsis for the protagonist is really at the end of the video. I believe the event he sees vicariously is death. He stares into the T.V. like a zombie with no emotion in the face of death. I look at all the spheres of light in the "Net of Being" as being real experiences for this person. When the seed is planted in the light, everything changes for this person. They are now experiencing it. This character is actually experiencing death of the body, just as the other characters in the video do, the beetle and the huge hovering eye.

I'm a little tired now. I would write more, but I promise you that there are many layers of meaning to this video, and it is totally designed to be dissected. One has to admit that the end of this video is a goosebump inducing, epic moment of transcendance.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

It surprises there's less talk about the actual video, and more jerking off to the idea of live DVDs. Don't get me wrong, I get chills thinking about it, but I believe Vicarious could very well be their best video.

There's a lot of symbolism in this video. The eyes are truly a fundamental part in the direction of this video. In a lot of ways I feel that the faces coming from within the pupils represent the separation we feel when viewing life/death from a distance. There's a feeling that is really present while watching TV. It's that feeling of "My eyes have only seen this. This is not a real experience... This is not real." When we watch the news, one has to remember that there are certain realities being presented to us. Even the shows we watch are portraying REAL emotions and actions, although it may be acting or the news, we are tied to these programs emotionally. If you've ever cried when old yeller died, felt disgusted at the news, winced when someone dies in a movie, or got wood while watching a hot sex scene, you've experienced real life circumstances vicariously. What I believe this song is addressing is how we seem to replace real emotions and events experienced in first person, with the one's we experience third person while sitting on the couch staring into a box.

It's haunting how disconnected people feel from what we see on T.V. All of us really are one big net of being. The only thing we can know at any given moment is that we all are collectively and simultaneously occupying and sharing this space and time (Earth.) I find bringing Alex Grey's "Net of Being" painting to life to be a perfect fit for this video.

I think the moment of catharsis for the protagonist is really at the end of the video. I believe the event he sees vicariously is death. He stares into the T.V. like a zombie with no emotion in the face of death. I look at all the spheres of light in the "Net of Being" as being real experiences for this person. When the seed is planted in the light, everything changes for this person. They are now experiencing it. This character is actually experiencing death of the body, just as the other characters in the video do, the beetle and the huge hovering eye.

I'm a little tired now. I would write more, but I promise you that there are many layers of meaning to this video, and it is totally designed to be dissected. One has to admit that the end of this video is a goosebump inducing, epic moment of transcendance.
12-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesegreater View Post

Sounds purdy darn good to me
Old 12-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #31
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Sounds purdy darn good to me

I would just download it to cheat Tool out of 666 dollars.

Last edited by *~*»€«(Đispositioń)»€«*~*; 12-29-2007 at 10:28 PM..
Old 12-29-2007, 10:26 PM   #32
On Probation

I would just download it to cheat Tool out of 666 dollars.

Last edited by *~*»€«(Đispositioń)»€«*~*; 12-29-2007 at 10:28 PM..
slamminsalmon's Avatar slamminsalmon
12-30-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~*»€«(Đispositioń)»€«*~* View Post
they arent?

Quote:

this prolly isnt so far off.

people bought all those targets off his website.

ive said it in another thread.

if its a live dvd as cool as hallucinogenetics i would wait another 5 years.

as for the vicarious video. ive only watched it once since i bought it on the 18th. ill save the follow up viewing for my next LSD dose.

Last edited by slamminsalmon; 12-30-2007 at 12:53 AM..
Old 12-30-2007, 12:48 AM   #33
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~*»€«(Đispositioń)»€«*~* View Post
they arent?

Quote:

this prolly isnt so far off.

people bought all those targets off his website.

ive said it in another thread.

if its a live dvd as cool as hallucinogenetics i would wait another 5 years.

as for the vicarious video. ive only watched it once since i bought it on the 18th. ill save the follow up viewing for my next LSD dose.

Last edited by slamminsalmon; 12-30-2007 at 12:53 AM..

I can't wait to see it myself.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:50 AM   #34
On Probation

I can't wait to see it myself.
trey5winds's Avatar trey5winds
12-30-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:

I haven't thought about this video a lot, and I agree with most of what you're saying, so, I'll buy that for now.

I think the beginning and ending are rather somewhat ambiguous, but that the moment you mention at the end means the character ("Geoff", as David Cross calls him) does experience some sort of revelation or transformation, mentally if nothing else. Perhaps what we see at the end is really just symbolic as opposed to literal (it's neat what you can do with video and CG these days, no?), but it's still very real. And I believe it's very allegorical.

I've just really enjoyed watching it more than analysing it. But I like your analysis and it will figure into my thinking if I ever get around to doing my own. :-)

The only thing I haven't really figured out is why the land is so barren and dusty. I don't want to just assume anything about that. I wonder if it means the barrenness of the spirit rather than his planet - our world is so much richer than we ever think it is, both literally and metaphorically.

Thanks for this, all the same.

T5W

from "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" by Genesis
Old 12-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #35
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

I haven't thought about this video a lot, and I agree with most of what you're saying, so, I'll buy that for now.

I think the beginning and ending are rather somewhat ambiguous, but that the moment you mention at the end means the character ("Geoff", as David Cross calls him) does experience some sort of revelation or transformation, mentally if nothing else. Perhaps what we see at the end is really just symbolic as opposed to literal (it's neat what you can do with video and CG these days, no?), but it's still very real. And I believe it's very allegorical.

I've just really enjoyed watching it more than analysing it. But I like your analysis and it will figure into my thinking if I ever get around to doing my own. :-)

The only thing I haven't really figured out is why the land is so barren and dusty. I don't want to just assume anything about that. I wonder if it means the barrenness of the spirit rather than his planet - our world is so much richer than we ever think it is, both literally and metaphorically.

Thanks for this, all the same.

T5W

from "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" by Genesis
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
12-31-2007, 02:22 AM

Quote:
I want this Toolbox to happen
30 DVD's? C'mon you guys....

I want quality, not quanity -> 25 DVD's.....
Old 12-31-2007, 02:22 AM   #36
Jedi Master

Quote:
I want this Toolbox to happen
30 DVD's? C'mon you guys....

I want quality, not quanity -> 25 DVD's.....

Who says the DVD's couldn't have staggering amounts of quality shit on each of them? lol
Old 12-31-2007, 08:49 AM   #37
On Probation

Who says the DVD's couldn't have staggering amounts of quality shit on each of them? lol
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
12-31-2007, 11:59 AM

Shiiiiiiit, you got a point there..... :\
Old 12-31-2007, 11:59 AM   #38
Jedi Master

Shiiiiiiit, you got a point there..... :\

But it's almost impossible, so I don't really.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #39
On Probation

But it's almost impossible, so I don't really.
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
12-31-2007, 05:16 PM

I'll settle for one DVD.

Just a decent and real overview of their career. Nothing more, nothing less.
There will always be those who will criticise because they miss that one song....
Old 12-31-2007, 05:16 PM   #40
Jedi Master

I'll settle for one DVD.

Just a decent and real overview of their career. Nothing more, nothing less.
There will always be those who will criticise because they miss that one song....

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply