Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Chronicle0's Avatar Chronicle0
09-06-2006, 04:47 PM

Hmm.. well i'm starting to believe that you can see Maynard learning to deal with his mother's death through each of his albums. Basicly this thought is just glueing some theories on songs together.

For example, his thoughts about his mom, her illness, and her death.
First, he was very mad about it and didn't want to believe she was dying. (See "Judith", "Jimmy", "Sober", "schism", "Wings for marie pt 1 and 2.")

"Judith" is about his torment he's going through knowing his mother will die[or is dead- not sure if the song was made after or before her death]. He's asking why this has to happen to him.

"Jimmy" is about when he was 11. I remember reading here on toolnavy that Maynard was probably approx. 11 when his mother was diagnosed with the illness. So whenever he thinks about the times he was 11, he gets sad because of the remeberence of his mother.

"Sober" if you believe he says Judith/Marie could be when he kept denying about his mother's soon-to-be death. He's starting to take it out on himself.

"schism" could be referred to the relationship he had with his mother. Can't say for sure though.

Now, "Wings for Marie Pt. 1+2" is why i'd think about all this. It's a song for his past away mother. Stating how much of a great person she was and how she made Maynard the guy he is today.

You see, maybe he's just learning to accept his mother's death. And with Wings for Marie, it was a message to all about how much of a great person she was and without her, Tool could've been different.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8
Maynard and his mother..

Hmm.. well i'm starting to believe that you can see Maynard learning to deal with his mother's death through each of his albums. Basicly this thought is just glueing some theories on songs together.

For example, his thoughts about his mom, her illness, and her death.
First, he was very mad about it and didn't want to believe she was dying. (See "Judith", "Jimmy", "Sober", "schism", "Wings for marie pt 1 and 2.")

"Judith" is about his torment he's going through knowing his mother will die[or is dead- not sure if the song was made after or before her death]. He's asking why this has to happen to him.

"Jimmy" is about when he was 11. I remember reading here on toolnavy that Maynard was probably approx. 11 when his mother was diagnosed with the illness. So whenever he thinks about the times he was 11, he gets sad because of the remeberence of his mother.

"Sober" if you believe he says Judith/Marie could be when he kept denying about his mother's soon-to-be death. He's starting to take it out on himself.

"schism" could be referred to the relationship he had with his mother. Can't say for sure though.

Now, "Wings for Marie Pt. 1+2" is why i'd think about all this. It's a song for his past away mother. Stating how much of a great person she was and how she made Maynard the guy he is today.

You see, maybe he's just learning to accept his mother's death. And with Wings for Marie, it was a message to all about how much of a great person she was and without her, Tool could've been different.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Carbonatedgravy
09-06-2006, 08:16 PM

For the record, "Judith" was before her death.

Judith, Jimmy, and Wings are certainly all related to Maynard's mother. Don't know about the other two, but "The Patient" and "The Grudge" have both been related to Maynard's relationship with his mother as well. Cases can be made for a lot of songs, particularly on Lateralus since many are so wide open to interpretation.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10
Re: Maynard and his mother..

For the record, "Judith" was before her death.

Judith, Jimmy, and Wings are certainly all related to Maynard's mother. Don't know about the other two, but "The Patient" and "The Grudge" have both been related to Maynard's relationship with his mother as well. Cases can be made for a lot of songs, particularly on Lateralus since many are so wide open to interpretation.
paraflux
09-07-2006, 06:21 AM

I have no idea how you get The Patient and The Grudge to be about his mother. For the record.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:21 AM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

I have no idea how you get The Patient and The Grudge to be about his mother. For the record.
CaseLogic
09-07-2006, 07:15 AM

Sober isn't about his mom last I checked. And schism can apply to anything, so it's hard to say it was about his mom
Old 09-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Sober isn't about his mom last I checked. And schism can apply to anything, so it's hard to say it was about his mom
Carbonatedgravy
09-07-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux View Post
The Grudge I don't agree with actually. I've just seen it brought up as Maynard finally forgiving God or something. The Patient on the other hand I could see being a narrative from the point of view of his mother, particularly if you take the title literally as well as figuratively. The vampire is temptation or doubt, the groan frightens those around her as it could be interpreted as a last breath. She's going through all these trials, and having inner difficulty holding on to her values. The song doesn't mention faith or religion because I think Maynard intended the song to be more all-encompassing in the end, but after 10,000 Days was released I saw that song in a new light.

Last edited by Carbonatedgravy; 09-07-2006 at 03:17 PM..
Old 09-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
The Grudge I don't agree with actually. I've just seen it brought up as Maynard finally forgiving God or something. The Patient on the other hand I could see being a narrative from the point of view of his mother, particularly if you take the title literally as well as figuratively. The vampire is temptation or doubt, the groan frightens those around her as it could be interpreted as a last breath. She's going through all these trials, and having inner difficulty holding on to her values. The song doesn't mention faith or religion because I think Maynard intended the song to be more all-encompassing in the end, but after 10,000 Days was released I saw that song in a new light.

Last edited by Carbonatedgravy; 09-07-2006 at 03:17 PM..
09-08-2006, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseLogic View Post

What i was trying to say is it could've been like an episode maynard had where he just kept to himself about the pain he had about his mother. A possibility no less.

And i just pointed out schism because it could be about the relationship with him and his mother, but you're right it might not be.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:43 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

What i was trying to say is it could've been like an episode maynard had where he just kept to himself about the pain he had about his mother. A possibility no less.

And i just pointed out schism because it could be about the relationship with him and his mother, but you're right it might not be.
the usual's Avatar the usual
09-08-2006, 07:54 AM

when 1 and 1 are one(the holy trinity) 11......
Old 09-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

09-08-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the usual View Post
what?
Old 09-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by the usual View Post
what?
unclezoso's Avatar unclezoso
09-08-2006, 01:38 PM

Yeah, I heard that Ozzy Osbournes "Mama i'm coming home" is also about Maynard's mommy. Everybody knows that artists aren't able to write about universal themes, they only write about their own mothers.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Yeah, I heard that Ozzy Osbournes "Mama i'm coming home" is also about Maynard's mommy. Everybody knows that artists aren't able to write about universal themes, they only write about their own mothers.
09-08-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Last I heard all their songs were about anal sex... So lets just say they're both about hmmmm... fisting?
Old 09-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Last I heard all their songs were about anal sex... So lets just say they're both about hmmmm... fisting?
09-08-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00k View Post
If you don't look deeper in the songs, then maybe you'd get that idea..
Old 09-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00k View Post
If you don't look deeper in the songs, then maybe you'd get that idea..
macfreak's Avatar macfreak
09-08-2006, 11:59 PM

As maynard has said many times people dont know the meaning of most of hes songs - lyrics.. the patient , the grudge about his mom ? i dont think so but who knows
Old 09-08-2006, 11:59 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

As maynard has said many times people dont know the meaning of most of hes songs - lyrics.. the patient , the grudge about his mom ? i dont think so but who knows
the usual's Avatar the usual
09-09-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle0 View Post
what?
just a thought...jeez
Old 09-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle0 View Post
what?
just a thought...jeez
base metal's Avatar base metal
09-10-2006, 09:27 PM

It seems to me like Maynard began to implicate this issue on Aenima ( H, Jimmy, though I can't be sure ), Judith is obviously a show of his anger and frustration, and I sense that 3 Libras and Brena are him coming to terms with the sadness and acceptance of his mothers illness and passing. The Patient seems to touch on these feelings again and Parabol/Parabola is obviously a song about living a full life, spiritual enlightenment, and facing the reality that we will all die but this is only a chapter in our existence (Love that song). And as for Wings/10,000 days, I think anyone with a Tool IQ over Undertow knows that this song is closure.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #14
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

It seems to me like Maynard began to implicate this issue on Aenima ( H, Jimmy, though I can't be sure ), Judith is obviously a show of his anger and frustration, and I sense that 3 Libras and Brena are him coming to terms with the sadness and acceptance of his mothers illness and passing. The Patient seems to touch on these feelings again and Parabol/Parabola is obviously a song about living a full life, spiritual enlightenment, and facing the reality that we will all die but this is only a chapter in our existence (Love that song). And as for Wings/10,000 days, I think anyone with a Tool IQ over Undertow knows that this song is closure.
09-11-2006, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronman View Post
QFT
Old 09-11-2006, 06:05 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
QFT
khemystri's Avatar khemystri
09-11-2006, 06:56 AM

I always thought "The Grudge" was about the bands relationship
with each other... The jealousy after Maynard did Perfect Circle,
and how they worked out their grudges.

Im probably wrong.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:56 AM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Im probably wrong.
09-12-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khemystri View Post

Im probably wrong.
makes sense atleast but i'm not sure...
Old 09-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by khemystri View Post

Im probably wrong.
makes sense atleast but i'm not sure...
pjfan
09-12-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
If you watch the APC dvd you will find that 3 Libras is about 9 people in his life who were leeches basically. He named the song 3 libras to get at them somewhat. I believe Brena is about an ex of his but I'm not 100% sure.....
Old 09-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
If you watch the APC dvd you will find that 3 Libras is about 9 people in his life who were leeches basically. He named the song 3 libras to get at them somewhat. I believe Brena is about an ex of his but I'm not 100% sure.....
zzzsleepzzz's Avatar zzzsleepzzz
09-13-2006, 08:04 AM

If I recall correctly Brena was written about a woman named Jennifer Brena Ferguson (sp could be wrong) whom I thought was either the mother of his child/fiancee/something of that nature at some point. Was years ago when I read it....
Old 09-13-2006, 08:04 AM   #19

If I recall correctly Brena was written about a woman named Jennifer Brena Ferguson (sp could be wrong) whom I thought was either the mother of his child/fiancee/something of that nature at some point. Was years ago when I read it....
Phorty's Avatar Phorty
09-13-2006, 08:04 PM

I think the songs that best reflect maynards relationship with his mother are(in no particular order) Judith, The Patient , jimmy, Passive and Wings (1 & 2) .
i could elaborate but then again those are just theories and most of the songs can be taken as universal lessons about life or people in general.
"squeegeeing my third glass eye"
Old 09-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #20
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I think the songs that best reflect maynards relationship with his mother are(in no particular order) Judith, The Patient , jimmy, Passive and Wings (1 & 2) .
i could elaborate but then again those are just theories and most of the songs can be taken as universal lessons about life or people in general.
"squeegeeing my third glass eye"
simon's Avatar simon
09-14-2006, 03:35 AM

Quote:

The Patient?!!! "but im still here, giving blood, keeping faith.........if there were no rewards to reap...no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path ive chosen here"

Sounds like a mother son relationship in a way
Old 09-14-2006, 03:35 AM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

The Patient?!!! "but im still here, giving blood, keeping faith.........if there were no rewards to reap...no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path ive chosen here"

09-14-2006, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post

Hm i guess you're right.. not sure though.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:12 AM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post

Hm i guess you're right.. not sure though.
lemonlateralus's Avatar lemonlateralus
09-14-2006, 11:41 AM

Maybe maynard has always applyed double-meaning to his songs.
Some may be relevant to his mother,but after all his characteristics were shaped by her so everything is about her.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:41 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Some may be relevant to his mother,but after all his characteristics were shaped by her so everything is about her.
06-27-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlateralus View Post
Yeah, I don't know about Maynard's life but if you just look at all the lyrics he's written, it's very clear that either his own mother or a "mother figure" has been exceptionally influential in his life. The innumerable references in the songs literally about his own mother (i.e. Wings duo or "Judith") as well as in songs not directly about mothers (i.e. "The Patient" or "Ænema") provide evidence of the value of "mother" in his life/career.

I know his lyrics are intentionally vague, but I think practically every single one of his songs can easily be connected to either his own mom or the idea of a mother. And I think that might be the only intentional part in his lyricism, as in I believe that's what the songs mean to him personally.

DTA = don't trust anyone
Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlateralus View Post
Yeah, I don't know about Maynard's life but if you just look at all the lyrics he's written, it's very clear that either his own mother or a "mother figure" has been exceptionally influential in his life. The innumerable references in the songs literally about his own mother (i.e. Wings duo or "Judith") as well as in songs not directly about mothers (i.e. "The Patient" or "Ænema") provide evidence of the value of "mother" in his life/career.

I know his lyrics are intentionally vague, but I think practically every single one of his songs can easily be connected to either his own mom or the idea of a mother. And I think that might be the only intentional part in his lyricism, as in I believe that's what the songs mean to him personally.

DTA = don't trust anyone
Ghostwriter's Avatar Ghostwriter
06-27-2007, 09:22 AM

Thats a good observation about Jimmy and the # 11. I was wondering what it meant...
Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 AM   #25
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

Thats a good observation about Jimmy and the # 11. I was wondering what it meant...
olethros666's Avatar olethros666
06-30-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclezoso View Post

I'd say that "mother" is indeed a pretty universal theme.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:00 AM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclezoso View Post

I'd say that "mother" is indeed a pretty universal theme.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply