Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive » Rumors
User Name
Password
Akasha's Avatar Akasha
04-30-2006, 06:01 PM

Before i start, i am not posting this or thinking about this because i want a different tool album than what we have (i live in australia, got the album on sat), but its simply a collection of things ive thought of that all link together, to me anyway.

I think 10 000 Day's is a hoax, not cos i dont like it, but because it would make sense. The small number of copies that went out; When i called the store (JB-Hifi) i was told to pre-order as this will be a huge seller. But when i was doing my pre-order the nest day at the store the guy told me they "got a total of 60 copies, pretty weird". I think australia only got about 20 000 copies in total. THIS DOESNT MAKE MARKETING SENSE for an album release from the record label's perspective.

Now wouldnt it be the ultimute send off from tool, to play the ultimate joke they have ever pulled on their fans (as they do every year) and actually RELEASE a haox album (10000 Days, limited edition discontiued after initial release, JUST LIKE WITH SALIVAL BEFORE LATERALUS, a possible answer to the limited copies going out) and then a second album which would be the last from Tool and the last for volcano, Tool could finally escape the clutches of the ticks & leaches that are their label. Would be the perfect send off, showing the two sides to the band weve seen throughout the years, they love joking around and fuking with their fans (pranks every year), but they are also extremely dedicated and motivated artists who are ALWAYS taking it a giant leap foreward and doing the unexpected.

Just my thoughts on a possibility.

Last edited by Akasha; 04-30-2006 at 06:05 PM..
Old 04-30-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29
A Diff. Theory on this...

Before i start, i am not posting this or thinking about this because i want a different tool album than what we have (i live in australia, got the album on sat), but its simply a collection of things ive thought of that all link together, to me anyway.

I think 10 000 Day's is a hoax, not cos i dont like it, but because it would make sense. The small number of copies that went out; When i called the store (JB-Hifi) i was told to pre-order as this will be a huge seller. But when i was doing my pre-order the nest day at the store the guy told me they "got a total of 60 copies, pretty weird". I think australia only got about 20 000 copies in total. THIS DOESNT MAKE MARKETING SENSE for an album release from the record label's perspective.

Now wouldnt it be the ultimute send off from tool, to play the ultimate joke they have ever pulled on their fans (as they do every year) and actually RELEASE a haox album (10000 Days, limited edition discontiued after initial release, JUST LIKE WITH SALIVAL BEFORE LATERALUS, a possible answer to the limited copies going out) and then a second album which would be the last from Tool and the last for volcano, Tool could finally escape the clutches of the ticks & leaches that are their label. Would be the perfect send off, showing the two sides to the band weve seen throughout the years, they love joking around and fuking with their fans (pranks every year), but they are also extremely dedicated and motivated artists who are ALWAYS taking it a giant leap foreward and doing the unexpected.

Just my thoughts on a possibility.

Last edited by Akasha; 04-30-2006 at 06:05 PM..
OFFLINE |  
chrispy603
04-30-2006, 06:22 PM

i hope you are right.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: A Diff. Theory on this...

i hope you are right.
OFFLINE |  
Camo23
04-30-2006, 06:41 PM

Interesting theory, it would be an expensive exercise though.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Interesting theory, it would be an expensive exercise though.
OFFLINE |  
mike09's Avatar mike09
04-30-2006, 07:03 PM

How big is the store that only got 60 copies?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

How big is the store that only got 60 copies?
OFFLINE |  
HalfASandwidch
04-30-2006, 07:22 PM

That actually sounds plausible... I still have that voice in the back of my head saying, "Eh... It's gotta be a hoax."
Old 04-30-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

That actually sounds plausible... I still have that voice in the back of my head saying, "Eh... It's gotta be a hoax."
OFFLINE |  
anagram?
04-30-2006, 07:26 PM

This board will be out of control when the Coachella crew returns to say they played 6 "old songs," Vicarious, and 5 songs they had never heard before ;)
Old 04-30-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

This board will be out of control when the Coachella crew returns to say they played 6 "old songs," Vicarious, and 5 songs they had never heard before ;)
04-30-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anagram?
I'd like to hear that
Old 04-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by anagram?
I'd like to hear that
OFFLINE |  
Æmitis's Avatar Æmitis
04-30-2006, 09:28 PM

To release a hoax album? Release?! That's a bit naive... do you even know what recording and releasing an album requires? the effort, the time and the money? And having heard the album, do the songs sound like "hoax" material, or, "not good enough for an album" material? This theory doesn't take the "prank" side of Tool to another level, it just turns it into something ridiculous and unbearable.

Ps: yeah, "everyone" wants a second album this year, 6.6.6 right? But deep down we all know it won't happen. (yep, overgeneralizing both ways)
Old 04-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

To release a hoax album? Release?! That's a bit naive... do you even know what recording and releasing an album requires? the effort, the time and the money? And having heard the album, do the songs sound like "hoax" material, or, "not good enough for an album" material? This theory doesn't take the "prank" side of Tool to another level, it just turns it into something ridiculous and unbearable.

Ps: yeah, "everyone" wants a second album this year, 6.6.6 right? But deep down we all know it won't happen. (yep, overgeneralizing both ways)
04-30-2006, 10:25 PM

I think you've got it right.

Although I'm sure the packaging was expensive, I don't think it's as bad as people think. Yes, it costs money to distribute an album, but there are only a small handful of distributors who control everything. What's one more box on the truck?

I've actually had an album available in stores everywhere at one point--not as big a deal as you might think, in terms of scale. (Loved seeing the $2.50 check every quarter--pretty funny).

An artist like Tool probable makes about ten to twenty cents per CD sold--maybe not even that much. The record companies make about half or so, then the store makes the rest. Do the math on that and you'll see how much that matters to the band. That's why you make the label and the fans think it's a legitmate album. If and when the label gets wind of it, they will certainly be upset, but I think that's part of the point!

I'm rambling now.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I think you've got it right.

Although I'm sure the packaging was expensive, I don't think it's as bad as people think. Yes, it costs money to distribute an album, but there are only a small handful of distributors who control everything. What's one more box on the truck?

I've actually had an album available in stores everywhere at one point--not as big a deal as you might think, in terms of scale. (Loved seeing the $2.50 check every quarter--pretty funny).

An artist like Tool probable makes about ten to twenty cents per CD sold--maybe not even that much. The record companies make about half or so, then the store makes the rest. Do the math on that and you'll see how much that matters to the band. That's why you make the label and the fans think it's a legitmate album. If and when the label gets wind of it, they will certainly be upset, but I think that's part of the point!

I'm rambling now.
04-30-2006, 11:07 PM

sweet merciful jesus, let it go. please, it's for your own good. for your own mental well-being. this shit isn't healthy.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

sweet merciful jesus, let it go. please, it's for your own good. for your own mental well-being. this shit isn't healthy.
OFFLINE |  
Akasha's Avatar Akasha
05-01-2006, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangefist
lol, if u dont wana discuss this, then leave, wats the point of even posting if thats as insightful as ur gonna get.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:44 AM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangefist
lol, if u dont wana discuss this, then leave, wats the point of even posting if thats as insightful as ur gonna get.
OFFLINE |  
Ardhanarishvara's Avatar Ardhanarishvara
05-01-2006, 03:01 AM

well, i don't know why this thread is posted "TODAY" but, it has already been released, and i don't know which JB HiFi you called up (maybe Uluru) but the one in Melbourne CBD (elizabeth st) had like a thousand ordered, or so the guy there told me when he dissuaded me from pre-order "don't worry, it won't run out" was what he told me.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:01 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

well, i don't know why this thread is posted "TODAY" but, it has already been released, and i don't know which JB HiFi you called up (maybe Uluru) but the one in Melbourne CBD (elizabeth st) had like a thousand ordered, or so the guy there told me when he dissuaded me from pre-order "don't worry, it won't run out" was what he told me.
05-01-2006, 05:10 AM

You people are hilarious. Can't you see that tool's prank was to make everyone THINK that there's a hoax, without actually pulling one??? THE HOAX IS A HOAX! And this thread is a perfect example of why- they knew that tons of people could come up with tons of plausible hoax theories, and confusion would go on for ages. 10,000 Days is a great album, so enjoy it for the next few years, cos that's when you'll be getting a new tool release. If I'm wrong, I'll be happy, but I don't think I am.

Peace
Help people, you lazy bum
Old 05-01-2006, 05:10 AM   #13
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 21

You people are hilarious. Can't you see that tool's prank was to make everyone THINK that there's a hoax, without actually pulling one??? THE HOAX IS A HOAX! And this thread is a perfect example of why- they knew that tons of people could come up with tons of plausible hoax theories, and confusion would go on for ages. 10,000 Days is a great album, so enjoy it for the next few years, cos that's when you'll be getting a new tool release. If I'm wrong, I'll be happy, but I don't think I am.

Peace
OFFLINE |  
Akasha's Avatar Akasha
05-01-2006, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holotrope
You people are hilarious. Can't you see that tool's prank was to make everyone THINK that there's a hoax, without actually pulling one??? THE HOAX IS A HOAX!..... If I'm wrong, I'll be happy, but I don't think I am.
Lol, man, that is an even more far fetched theory than any of the hoax theories, with no evidence to support it. Why are people so afraid to question tool and what theyve given us, seems peoples ego's are so big that theyre afraid to say it is possibly a hoax album, incase it isnt. Well i dont give a shit, this is a good album, but i still think there are too many things linking up to be coincidence. Doing this as a final good bye to their fans seems so typical of tool, they dont do things like normal bands and i dont think theyd go out like one either, they will end their careers in typical tool fashion.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:43 AM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by holotrope
You people are hilarious. Can't you see that tool's prank was to make everyone THINK that there's a hoax, without actually pulling one??? THE HOAX IS A HOAX!..... If I'm wrong, I'll be happy, but I don't think I am.
Lol, man, that is an even more far fetched theory than any of the hoax theories, with no evidence to support it. Why are people so afraid to question tool and what theyve given us, seems peoples ego's are so big that theyre afraid to say it is possibly a hoax album, incase it isnt. Well i dont give a shit, this is a good album, but i still think there are too many things linking up to be coincidence. Doing this as a final good bye to their fans seems so typical of tool, they dont do things like normal bands and i dont think theyd go out like one either, they will end their careers in typical tool fashion.
OFFLINE |  
allusion7.0's Avatar allusion7.0
05-01-2006, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfASandwidch
damn. my voices never say eh.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:45 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfASandwidch
damn. my voices never say eh.
lonecry
05-01-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha

Why exactly are you implying that they will be ending their careers? I thoroughly believe that Tool have at least another 10 years left in them or 2 more albums which ever comes first. This may end their deal with Volcano if they release another album but that doesnt mean they're suddenly gonna disappear forever. Maynard isnt that old!!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

Why exactly are you implying that they will be ending their careers? I thoroughly believe that Tool have at least another 10 years left in them or 2 more albums which ever comes first. This may end their deal with Volcano if they release another album but that doesnt mean they're suddenly gonna disappear forever. Maynard isnt that old!!
OFFLINE |  
SomethingSpecial
05-01-2006, 09:05 AM

Hmm, interesting theory. I can offer this to support it. I work at Borders, and my store only ordered 20 copies. And as a company, we only ordered 11,500 copies of 10,000 days. So all this really proves is that people weren't expecting this to be a big seller
Old 05-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Hmm, interesting theory. I can offer this to support it. I work at Borders, and my store only ordered 20 copies. And as a company, we only ordered 11,500 copies of 10,000 days. So all this really proves is that people weren't expecting this to be a big seller
05-01-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Why is it more far-fetched?? I think it is extremely far-fetched for people to believe that a band like tool- who constantly urge their fans to "think for themselves"- would pre-announce a hoax in a newsletter!! That's ridiculous! So, actually, I'm the one who's questioning tool here, because if I believed everything they said, I'd also think it was the legendary "decoy album," and be suckered with all the rest of you.

As for your 'ego' argument, this has nothing to do with being right, I already said (and you quoted me) that I'd be happy if I were wrong, because then I'd get more tool! Even if this were a hoax album, it wouldn't change the fact that I really like it!

It just makes much more sense to me that tool would set everyone up to think there's a hoax (which people would believe because tool have done plenty of stuff like that) and then just go about their business.

Anyway, it seems like a lot of your theory is based on the fact that this is their last effort/new studio release, and you have absolutely nothing to back that up.

They have contractual obligations for one more release, and Adam said in guitar world that he would like Maynard to be there the whole time for the NEXT album, instead of just the beginning and end of the process like on this one. He also said that they are interested in making music WITHOUT the record label, meaning that they probably will even after their contract is up. Maynard said in another interview that this is closer to the album they really want to make, but still not quite there, implying that they're still going to try.

I agree they will end their career as a band in a fitting way, but I really doubt that it's going to happen soon, much less NOW.

While we're engaging in wild, largely baseless speculation, I will say that I'm more likely to believe that the live DVD will come out on 6/6/6, cos they haven't said a thing about that for ages...

Maybe that's what they meant by decoy album- the album and bogus hoax-theory distracts everyone, so nobody asks about the DVD and then BOOM. Also, if you follow the trajectory of the Ouija board pointer at the bottom of the Jan newsletter, it goes to [J] then [U] then [6] before finally settling on the 'O' of 'GOOD BYE'. But we all know how trustworthy newsletters are, so I won't get my hopes up...
Old 05-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #18
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

Why is it more far-fetched?? I think it is extremely far-fetched for people to believe that a band like tool- who constantly urge their fans to "think for themselves"- would pre-announce a hoax in a newsletter!! That's ridiculous! So, actually, I'm the one who's questioning tool here, because if I believed everything they said, I'd also think it was the legendary "decoy album," and be suckered with all the rest of you.

As for your 'ego' argument, this has nothing to do with being right, I already said (and you quoted me) that I'd be happy if I were wrong, because then I'd get more tool! Even if this were a hoax album, it wouldn't change the fact that I really like it!

It just makes much more sense to me that tool would set everyone up to think there's a hoax (which people would believe because tool have done plenty of stuff like that) and then just go about their business.

Anyway, it seems like a lot of your theory is based on the fact that this is their last effort/new studio release, and you have absolutely nothing to back that up.

They have contractual obligations for one more release, and Adam said in guitar world that he would like Maynard to be there the whole time for the NEXT album, instead of just the beginning and end of the process like on this one. He also said that they are interested in making music WITHOUT the record label, meaning that they probably will even after their contract is up. Maynard said in another interview that this is closer to the album they really want to make, but still not quite there, implying that they're still going to try.

I agree they will end their career as a band in a fitting way, but I really doubt that it's going to happen soon, much less NOW.

While we're engaging in wild, largely baseless speculation, I will say that I'm more likely to believe that the live DVD will come out on 6/6/6, cos they haven't said a thing about that for ages...

Maybe that's what they meant by decoy album- the album and bogus hoax-theory distracts everyone, so nobody asks about the DVD and then BOOM. Also, if you follow the trajectory of the Ouija board pointer at the bottom of the Jan newsletter, it goes to [J] then [U] then [6] before finally settling on the 'O' of 'GOOD BYE'. But we all know how trustworthy newsletters are, so I won't get my hopes up...
OFFLINE |  
holotrope's Avatar holotrope
05-01-2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingSpecial
or that so many copies were pre-ordered that it didn't make good business-sense to stock up too many retail copies...
Old 05-01-2006, 10:21 AM   #19
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingSpecial
or that so many copies were pre-ordered that it didn't make good business-sense to stock up too many retail copies...
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply