Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
No one and nobody's Avatar No one and nobody
07-24-2006, 08:44 PM

I would like to know (or maybe I already know, and would like to bring to everyone's attention) why MJK's latest branch of evolving spirituality and philosophy has been given so much credit as being inspired by Jesus. Humans have been talking about God, Satan, angels, demons, Heaven and Hell (using the locally prescribed terminology) long before Christ came into the picture. Many can claim belief in God, and none of the other... any way you want to look at it.

Belief and faith are not a packaged deal... that is the beauty of free will... we can decide for ourselves what is best, most applicable, or desireable to our sense of wholeness and well being. We should periodically take a very penetrating look into what we believe, to see if it still makes any sense as to why we began to believe. I see 10K as this natural progression of MJK's lyrics, as well as the band's vision and the ambiance they portray.

If I could clip in a picture of a bull's eye, it would go right here

O
Old 07-24-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 791
What would Jesus post?

I would like to know (or maybe I already know, and would like to bring to everyone's attention) why MJK's latest branch of evolving spirituality and philosophy has been given so much credit as being inspired by Jesus. Humans have been talking about God, Satan, angels, demons, Heaven and Hell (using the locally prescribed terminology) long before Christ came into the picture. Many can claim belief in God, and none of the other... any way you want to look at it.

Belief and faith are not a packaged deal... that is the beauty of free will... we can decide for ourselves what is best, most applicable, or desireable to our sense of wholeness and well being. We should periodically take a very penetrating look into what we believe, to see if it still makes any sense as to why we began to believe. I see 10K as this natural progression of MJK's lyrics, as well as the band's vision and the ambiance they portray.

If I could clip in a picture of a bull's eye, it would go right here

O
07-24-2006, 09:18 PM

Well said, seems to me that most people's deeply held beliefs are those which they grew up with and were raised around. However, the problem is that often times people let the words of a minister or priest dictate how they should live, without first being aware enough to look within themselves. Seems organized religion ironically serves to stunt the growth of the very thing they claim to nurture within people. Dogma seems to shut out any hope and truth that can come from true spiritual growth within one's self. I guess people are just so hungry for leaders to show them the way, that they get caught up in it, and accept that person's conception of truth as absolute and infallable (akin to the scenario described in "Eulogy"). It saddens me how people feel they can only attain spiritual enlightenment through another, and don't realize they need only to look within themselves to find it. As long as there's humans on this planet, there's bound to be sheep in the herd. That's where I think Maynard stands on Religion/Spirituality, that you have to find it within yourself, and that you shouldn't just mindlessly believe all ideas or concepts that are thrown at you.

Last edited by martyrinexile86; 07-24-2006 at 09:24 PM..
Old 07-24-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 12
Re: What would Jesus post?

Well said, seems to me that most people's deeply held beliefs are those which they grew up with and were raised around. However, the problem is that often times people let the words of a minister or priest dictate how they should live, without first being aware enough to look within themselves. Seems organized religion ironically serves to stunt the growth of the very thing they claim to nurture within people. Dogma seems to shut out any hope and truth that can come from true spiritual growth within one's self. I guess people are just so hungry for leaders to show them the way, that they get caught up in it, and accept that person's conception of truth as absolute and infallable (akin to the scenario described in "Eulogy"). It saddens me how people feel they can only attain spiritual enlightenment through another, and don't realize they need only to look within themselves to find it. As long as there's humans on this planet, there's bound to be sheep in the herd. That's where I think Maynard stands on Religion/Spirituality, that you have to find it within yourself, and that you shouldn't just mindlessly believe all ideas or concepts that are thrown at you.

Last edited by martyrinexile86; 07-24-2006 at 09:24 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
koolerthanjesus's Avatar koolerthanjesus
07-24-2006, 11:45 PM

I'm sure Jesus would say something like: "Take this, all of you, and drink from it: this is the cup of my blood, the blood of the new and everlasting covenant. It will be shed for you and for all so that sins may be forgiven. Do this in memory of me."
Old 07-24-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

I'm sure Jesus would say something like: "Take this, all of you, and drink from it: this is the cup of my blood, the blood of the new and everlasting covenant. It will be shed for you and for all so that sins may be forgiven. Do this in memory of me."
07-24-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolerthanjesus
Or he may choose to speak in the common tongue of today and simply command:

"DRINK!"
Old 07-24-2006, 11:57 PM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolerthanjesus

"DRINK!"
duncang's Avatar duncang
07-25-2006, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by implandnoises

"DRINK!"
Father Ted for the win.
Be A Human
Old 07-25-2006, 01:57 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by implandnoises

"DRINK!"
Father Ted for the win.
Be A Human
wesdgreat
07-25-2006, 12:35 PM

Jesus would post: "Forget the church, forget the dogma, forget your beliefs, remember to Love."
Old 07-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Jesus would post: "Forget the church, forget the dogma, forget your beliefs, remember to Love."
No one and nobody's Avatar No one and nobody
07-25-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdgreat
Now that's what I'm talking 'bout...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Now that's what I'm talking 'bout...
07-25-2006, 01:22 PM

he would ask what color i wanted my hotrod to be.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

RidetheRedshift
07-25-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:

hallelujah. Indeed. And when you do forget those things. When you do cleanse your idea of God and Spirit of what those evil bastards have tried to do, your heart & mind start to pulse together and sooner or later, you find peace. Sometimes only for moments but the feeling is bliss, love! Forever and ever, Amen.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:

hallelujah. Indeed. And when you do forget those things. When you do cleanse your idea of God and Spirit of what those evil bastards have tried to do, your heart & mind start to pulse together and sooner or later, you find peace. Sometimes only for moments but the feeling is bliss, love! Forever and ever, Amen.
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
07-25-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00LHEAD
Jesus never did say you had to go to church to pray. Church is evil. I saw one movie about jesus, he was angry at the ppl in the church because they wher praying there.So he got angry and started to smash clay pots and throw the gold all over the place.
You're right. I can't cite chapter and verse, but Jesus said that if you wanted to pray to him, that you should go into your closet and pray (i.e., don't make a show of it, it should be a personal thing).

Also, I really believe Jesus would say "I approve of this album."
Old 07-25-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
Prana

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Jesus never did say you had to go to church to pray. Church is evil. I saw one movie about jesus, he was angry at the ppl in the church because they wher praying there.So he got angry and started to smash clay pots and throw the gold all over the place.
You're right. I can't cite chapter and verse, but Jesus said that if you wanted to pray to him, that you should go into your closet and pray (i.e., don't make a show of it, it should be a personal thing).

07-25-2006, 03:44 PM

Jesus would approve of this album.
Quote:
And you, my friend, have the right idea.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Jesus would approve of this album.
Quote:
And you, my friend, have the right idea.
jonboy's Avatar jonboy
07-25-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bales
Did jesus build your hotrod too?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:58 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by bales
Stev's Avatar Stev
07-25-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Actually, that reaction was to trade being conducted in the temple. Not saying Jesus is pro-church or anything, I don't reckon he is, but that violent reaction was to money lenders and other trade being conducted in the temple and wasn't about praying in the temple. Unless the movie you saw completely butchered the original story.

Choice breath is right about the instruction to pray in private though.

Quote:
+1
Old 07-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 18

Quote:
Actually, that reaction was to trade being conducted in the temple. Not saying Jesus is pro-church or anything, I don't reckon he is, but that violent reaction was to money lenders and other trade being conducted in the temple and wasn't about praying in the temple. Unless the movie you saw completely butchered the original story.

Choice breath is right about the instruction to pray in private though.

Quote:
+1
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
07-26-2006, 07:16 AM

Quote:
+2
Old 07-26-2006, 07:16 AM   #14
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

Quote:
+2
meatchunk's Avatar meatchunk
07-26-2006, 07:39 AM

Hey Guys, you know there are other places to post threads like these. Like in the spirituality and religion section. For god sakes, get out of the 10000 days forum and look around. Go to the interact section and check it out.

Last edited by meatchunk; 07-26-2006 at 07:42 AM..
Old 07-26-2006, 07:39 AM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 267

Hey Guys, you know there are other places to post threads like these. Like in the spirituality and religion section. For god sakes, get out of the 10000 days forum and look around. Go to the interact section and check it out.

Last edited by meatchunk; 07-26-2006 at 07:42 AM..
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
07-26-2006, 08:22 AM

"you shall know the truth, that this thread has nothing to do with 10,000 days, and the truth shall set you free."
Old 07-26-2006, 08:22 AM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

"you shall know the truth, that this thread has nothing to do with 10,000 days, and the truth shall set you free."
07-26-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev
Actually, that reaction was to trade being conducted in the temple. Not saying Jesus is pro-church or anything, I don't reckon he is, but that violent reaction was to money lenders and other trade being conducted in the temple and wasn't about praying in the temple.
Yep. "Make not my father's house an house of merchandise." I guess even the Bible isn't immune from the typical butchering books undergo when making the transition to film.
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
Old 07-26-2006, 08:22 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev
Actually, that reaction was to trade being conducted in the temple. Not saying Jesus is pro-church or anything, I don't reckon he is, but that violent reaction was to money lenders and other trade being conducted in the temple and wasn't about praying in the temple.
Yep. "Make not my father's house an house of merchandise." I guess even the Bible isn't immune from the typical butchering books undergo when making the transition to film.
nmayhew's Avatar nmayhew
07-26-2006, 08:36 AM

I happen to be enlightened by the experience of church. I'm not saying my church is the "right one", but from my own personal experiences, I feel just as close or closer to god as I do anywhere else. Not ALL organized religion is a multiplying bath of evil hypocrites.

in general though,

there is a lot of unholy ministries in this world.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:36 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

I happen to be enlightened by the experience of church. I'm not saying my church is the "right one", but from my own personal experiences, I feel just as close or closer to god as I do anywhere else. Not ALL organized religion is a multiplying bath of evil hypocrites.

in general though,

there is a lot of unholy ministries in this world.
07-26-2006, 11:01 AM

My intention was not to start a debate about religion, but to examine why Jesus has been posted as the inspiration for 10K... I think this album, the lyrics, and the beats all flow intricately yet easily from the previous albums with reoccuring themes, that have a new perspective in some ways... regardless of the topic (sprituality, religion, transcendence, etc). I love the progression that tool has made with this album... but it all keeps coming back to JC.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:01 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

My intention was not to start a debate about religion, but to examine why Jesus has been posted as the inspiration for 10K... I think this album, the lyrics, and the beats all flow intricately yet easily from the previous albums with reoccuring themes, that have a new perspective in some ways... regardless of the topic (sprituality, religion, transcendence, etc). I love the progression that tool has made with this album... but it all keeps coming back to JC.
07-26-2006, 09:11 PM

Seriously? I'm done...
Old 07-26-2006, 09:11 PM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Seriously? I'm done...
07-26-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
wow, you weren't paying much attention to the movie, were you?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:24 PM   #21

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
wow, you weren't paying much attention to the movie, were you?
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
07-26-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Did you know that Indians commonly distrust that Jesus was enlightened because of this display of anger? A Buddha would not show anger like this, they say.

I disagree. It is not violence, not attack, but anger in its purest form. He felt anger like no-one else could feel - complete anger. And he used it to speak for him. Sure, this wouldn't be very productive if you were angry all the time, but from what I have heard, Jesus wasn't. He was down with his feelings and shit. He would have been great on Dr Phil.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:50 PM   #22
Banned.

Quote:
Did you know that Indians commonly distrust that Jesus was enlightened because of this display of anger? A Buddha would not show anger like this, they say.

I disagree. It is not violence, not attack, but anger in its purest form. He felt anger like no-one else could feel - complete anger. And he used it to speak for him. Sure, this wouldn't be very productive if you were angry all the time, but from what I have heard, Jesus wasn't. He was down with his feelings and shit. He would have been great on Dr Phil.
facelessDrone
07-27-2006, 06:41 AM

Did the movie include the part, right after Jesus went all apeshit in the temple? He's calmed down a bit, but still pissed, he's all like "fuck you guys, i'm goin' to waffle house," then he throws up a gang sign and walks out. Did they have that part?

Because that's in the Bible, too. Verbatim.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:41 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Did the movie include the part, right after Jesus went all apeshit in the temple? He's calmed down a bit, but still pissed, he's all like "fuck you guys, i'm goin' to waffle house," then he throws up a gang sign and walks out. Did they have that part?

Because that's in the Bible, too. Verbatim.
facelessDrone
07-27-2006, 08:24 AM

Yes, that's what "verbatim" means, more or less. Good job.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:24 AM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Yes, that's what "verbatim" means, more or less. Good job.
TurdEye13's Avatar TurdEye13
07-27-2006, 08:55 AM

nothing, he would read
Old 07-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #25
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

nothing, he would read
07-27-2006, 09:29 AM

Jesus: "Have you tried this alternate track listing? I think it brings people closer to me."
Old 07-27-2006, 09:29 AM   #26

Bincount™: 24

Jesus: "Have you tried this alternate track listing? I think it brings people closer to me."
07-27-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Dont forget J.C. was part human. Buddha is pure.
They were both human.

Note also that I said "a Buddha" not "the Buddha". Siddhartha Gautama was a man who earned the title "Buddha", which means "Enlightened One". Some have argued that Jesus deserves this title too, but others disagree for the reason I have mentioned. While it is hard to imagine The Buddha being angry, there are representations of angry Buddhas who are there to encourage a message forcefully - as a mother would to a child that is about to touch a hot stove.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #27
Banned.

Quote:
Dont forget J.C. was part human. Buddha is pure.
They were both human.

Note also that I said "a Buddha" not "the Buddha". Siddhartha Gautama was a man who earned the title "Buddha", which means "Enlightened One". Some have argued that Jesus deserves this title too, but others disagree for the reason I have mentioned. While it is hard to imagine The Buddha being angry, there are representations of angry Buddhas who are there to encourage a message forcefully - as a mother would to a child that is about to touch a hot stove.
bpcampb's Avatar bpcampb
07-29-2006, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Does he have a shop... And a show on Discovery Channel. And is there a Jesus Jr. and a Jesus Sr. who are always getting into crazy predicatments? Cuase that would suck as bad as the crap I am refering too.

Jesus would build 10-speed Huffies. He is more ecologicly sound then most think...

It is impossible to pass an emmisions test in heaven.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:49 AM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Does he have a shop... And a show on Discovery Channel. And is there a Jesus Jr. and a Jesus Sr. who are always getting into crazy predicatments? Cuase that would suck as bad as the crap I am refering too.

Jesus would build 10-speed Huffies. He is more ecologicly sound then most think...

It is impossible to pass an emmisions test in heaven.
07-29-2006, 07:44 AM

Jesus would tell us its a decoy album.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:44 AM   #29
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 144

Jesus would tell us its a decoy album.
07-30-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath

The bible calls those that pray in front of others hypocrits. It can be interpreted from several verses of the bible that praying in public and groups is not the way to worship.

Then there are other parts that say the opposite, "whenever two or more of you are gathered in his name..." etc.

But don't get me started on the all the contradictions in the bible.

Jesus would post.... why the hell did I die for all you idiots?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath

The bible calls those that pray in front of others hypocrits. It can be interpreted from several verses of the bible that praying in public and groups is not the way to worship.

Then there are other parts that say the opposite, "whenever two or more of you are gathered in his name..." etc.

But don't get me started on the all the contradictions in the bible.

schmeng's Avatar schmeng
07-30-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamadia
lol, well put
Old 07-30-2006, 07:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamadia
lol, well put
TOOLEK's Avatar TOOLEK
08-01-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Great truth
Old 08-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #32

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Great truth
lovelightgrace
08-01-2006, 12:45 PM

Jesus said love is the most important of all commandments.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 60

Jesus said love is the most important of all commandments.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
08-01-2006, 04:05 PM

Jesus would post the O Rly picture. Haha.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #34
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Jesus would post the O Rly picture. Haha.
inSin's Avatar inSin
08-01-2006, 06:54 PM

jesus who?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:54 PM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

jesus who?
sinister exaggerator's Avatar sinister exaggerator
08-02-2006, 05:47 AM

JESUS WOULD SAY "LET THERE BE A LIVE TOOL DVD (PREFERABLY A 3 DISC SPECIAL WITH A SHOW FROM AENIMA LATERALUS AND 10,000 DAYS AND IF THEY WANTED SOME FROM THE OPIATE AND UNDERTOW DAYS) JESUS HAS SPOKEN"
Old 08-02-2006, 05:47 AM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

JESUS WOULD SAY "LET THERE BE A LIVE TOOL DVD (PREFERABLY A 3 DISC SPECIAL WITH A SHOW FROM AENIMA LATERALUS AND 10,000 DAYS AND IF THEY WANTED SOME FROM THE OPIATE AND UNDERTOW DAYS) JESUS HAS SPOKEN"
08-02-2006, 07:12 AM

And he is just a bit pissed about the whole Opiate thing
Old 08-02-2006, 07:12 AM   #37
Banned.

And he is just a bit pissed about the whole Opiate thing
sinister exaggerator's Avatar sinister exaggerator
08-02-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredy_Brown
Jesus doesn´t like Undertow tour.
well he was in it
Old 08-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredy_Brown
Jesus doesn´t like Undertow tour.
well he was in it
bmeason's Avatar bmeason
08-02-2006, 11:16 AM

"What is it to a man if he gains the world but loses his soul in the process?" Matthew 16:26 - Dracula, castlevania: sotn

The scripture I know, which tells me Jesus would not post to this board. If he was around and trying his spiel[spell] on the mass there would be too many of us to convince and actually adhere to. But for the sake of arguement, I think he would just post that 10,000 days was a great followup, decoy it may be :P ... oh and Fuck king james and his freakin' "standardize" version of a passerbys notes on life and faith. Like Harry from dumb and dumber, "you were way off Mr. James".

Don't we know that the english vocabulary is incapable of expressing faith in its true form? Just a sound we make to - identify - a certain feeling and "hope" for something beyond this life?

However we need these phraises and words (whichever you will associate them with) to express certain things and thought processes! This is why I think MJK used these themes in this latest offerings. These concepts are easily identifiable and envoke a certain image and understanding. "Shouldn't have to say it all again" he would post, "but hell I might as well put it in a structure that is rudamentary and basic anglo-english to help you sheep and monkeys on the outside of the spiral to have a little bit more relation and understanding". Inherent knowledge and already known concepts is the best way to expand and teach a point. "Okay little one, we have two oreos, you eat one, you have how many left?"

Get it?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #39
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

"What is it to a man if he gains the world but loses his soul in the process?" Matthew 16:26 - Dracula, castlevania: sotn

The scripture I know, which tells me Jesus would not post to this board. If he was around and trying his spiel[spell] on the mass there would be too many of us to convince and actually adhere to. But for the sake of arguement, I think he would just post that 10,000 days was a great followup, decoy it may be :P ... oh and Fuck king james and his freakin' "standardize" version of a passerbys notes on life and faith. Like Harry from dumb and dumber, "you were way off Mr. James".

Don't we know that the english vocabulary is incapable of expressing faith in its true form? Just a sound we make to - identify - a certain feeling and "hope" for something beyond this life?

However we need these phraises and words (whichever you will associate them with) to express certain things and thought processes! This is why I think MJK used these themes in this latest offerings. These concepts are easily identifiable and envoke a certain image and understanding. "Shouldn't have to say it all again" he would post, "but hell I might as well put it in a structure that is rudamentary and basic anglo-english to help you sheep and monkeys on the outside of the spiral to have a little bit more relation and understanding". Inherent knowledge and already known concepts is the best way to expand and teach a point. "Okay little one, we have two oreos, you eat one, you have how many left?"

Get it?
TheHolyGift's Avatar TheHolyGift
08-02-2006, 10:39 PM

"All of you idiots on the internet were right - Maynard from Tool IS God"

this band changed my life
Old 08-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 30

"All of you idiots on the internet were right - Maynard from Tool IS God"

this band changed my life