opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 09-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
The opening sound is...

The opening sound is that of an inhouse elevator. One reference is from the movie 'Skeleton Key', where Kate Hudson uses it to transport a paralysed patient downstairs. Considering we all know about Maynards mother being paralysed, it sounds as though Maynard sampled it while spending time with her. It gives the album a different feel, and i think alot of the tracks, especially the first 7, relate to his conflicts & resolutions with his mother.

The second point which i believe backs it up, is on the liner notes. There's the vertical title of Lateralus, with a series of horizontal lines leading to the track names. The top one starts at 'the Grudge', and the last one finishes in between 'Parabola' & 'Ticks & Leeches' - meaning, the final part of the 'story' is Parabola. This could lead to the idea that tracks 1 to 7 is the story of Maynard and his mothers. The remaining tracks are part of the album, but i feel their stand alone tracks, apart from D/R/T obviously.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1600
Re: The opening sound is...

awesome first post.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 575

Yeah, no joke. If this guy always posts like this, he'll go places here.

I really like this elevator theory.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1600

just keep him away from morgoths and wretched.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 575

lol... Those two are good guys, though. Especially morgoth. We both like pr0n, lol.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
The opening sound is that of an inhouse elevator. One reference is from the movie 'Skeleton Key', where Kate Hudson uses it to transport a paralysed patient downstairs. Considering we all know about Maynards mother being paralysed, it sounds as though Maynard sampled it while spending time with her. It gives the album a different feel, and i think alot of the tracks, especially the first 7, relate to his conflicts & resolutions with his mother.

The second point which i believe backs it up, is on the liner notes. There's the vertical title of Lateralus, with a series of horizontal lines leading to the track names. The top one starts at 'the Grudge', and the last one finishes in between 'Parabola' & 'Ticks & Leeches' - meaning, the final part of the 'story' is Parabola. This could lead to the idea that tracks 1 to 7 is the story of Maynard and his mothers. The remaining tracks are part of the album, but i feel their stand alone tracks, apart from D/R/T obviously.
Wow... fuckin' nice... I like that asessment!

Also, I've heard that sound effect many MANY times on The Simpsons. I think it's probably some public domain stock sound effect... but I always thought of it as some ancient burly projector starting up, or some general machine, but an elevator sounds good too. Great post!

EDIT: Wow, I noticed I got demoted a level... probably 'cuz I asked questions about the "something big" thing a couple days ago. Pity me. =[
Old 09-12-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
apt-get --dist-upgrade

Bincount™: 5286

Quote:

You have said more in these 2 short paragraphs than most memebers have said in a year. I like that.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 24

awesome theory! i've wondered for quite some time now as to what that sound was. and the theory about the first 7 songs being about maynard and his mother, top notch stuff dude.

myspace -
http://www.myspace.com/thereisn0sp00n
Old 09-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #9

Bincount™: 3

Very good theory. I like the first 7 song song part of it. I heard that the sound you are talking about was some sort of radio. This is because at the end of the album you hear a similar sound but in reverse, the radio turning off. When I heard the sound for the first time it sounded like heavy machinery starting up, so your elevator theory works.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
Very good theory. I like the first 7 song song part of it. I heard that the sound you are talking about was some sort of radio. This is because at the end of the album you hear a similar sound but in reverse, the radio turning off. When I heard the sound for the first time it sounded like heavy machinery starting up, so your elevator theory works.
Cheers for the feedback. By all means, it's all just theory, but do check out Skeleton Key if you have the chance cause the sounds are very similar.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:07 AM   #11

Bincount™: 1

I like your theory, makes a lot of sense.

I have always thought it was an industrial grinder (fitting with the theme of the Grudge). I was watching TV one day and heard the EXACT sound on a 'how they make it' show when the grinder started up.

Could be either.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

I noticed the same thing when I watched that movie... but alas, the movie came out AFTER Lateralus. But this doesn't exclude the elevator theory. And as far as the first 7 being about Maynards mom, don't you think it would be beating a dead horse to go back and make another album with "mom songs"? Don't start changing your interpretations of Lateralus based on 10,000 Days.
Lateralus has its own special meaning... don't reform what you thought about it now.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNING_GLORY View Post
I And as far as the first 7 being about Maynards mom, don't you think it would be beating a dead horse to go back and make another album with "mom songs"? Don't start changing your interpretations of Lateralus based on 10,000 Days.
Lateralus has its own special meaning... don't reform what you thought about it now.
While i do agree with the last part of your statement , the first part makes me wonder , surely your aware that jimmy and (not to get off topic) atleast two APC songs were about his mother as well ,not to mention that his mothers unwaivering faith ( and his cynical perspective on it at the time) may have inspired the better half of the Undertow album , so to say that these "mom songs" are new makes me question how new you are to the scene.
Which if you are , welcome aboard.
"squeegeeing my third glass eye"

Last edited by Phorty; 09-20-2006 at 02:21 PM..
Old 09-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNING_GLORY View Post
I noticed the same thing when I watched that movie... but alas, the movie came out AFTER Lateralus. But this doesn't exclude the elevator theory. And as far as the first 7 being about Maynards mom, don't you think it would be beating a dead horse to go back and make another album with "mom songs"? Don't start changing your interpretations of Lateralus based on 10,000 Days.

10,000 days brought out the resolution about Maynard & his mother, so i don't feel he could have gone through that situation without some sort of reflection when he recorded Lateralus. I don't believe that Maynard wanted to write a series of 'mom songs', he's using his mothers faith & paralysis as the fuel to describe working through a tough relationship. 'Beating a dead horse' would require Maynard to write the next album about his mom. It hasn't changed my interpretation of Lateralus really, it just made the lyrical content something new to think about.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:33 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorty View Post
While i do agree with the last part of your statement , the first part makes me wonder , surely your aware that jimmy and (not to get off topic) atleast two APC songs were about his mother as well ,not to mention that his mothers unwaivering faith ( and his cynical perspective on it at the time) may have inspired the better half of the Undertow album , so to say that these "mom songs" are new makes me question how new you are to the scene.
Which if you are , welcome aboard.
I don't doubt the fact that his mother helped inspire a bunch of songs... I'm just saying I think it would be a bit much to make 7 songs on an album (which is very much about spiritual and mystical things) about his mother. I'm sure one way or another you could draw reference to his mom, because everyone has one and everyone is influenced by their mothers to a degree. But I firmly believe Lateralus has its own distinct purpose, and while somehow some of the inspiration came from his mom, the songs are not directly about her.

...and although I have been here longer than you, Its not important how long ones been here... i was trying to make a point.

Last edited by MORNING_GLORY; 09-24-2006 at 04:36 PM..
Old 09-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #16

Bincount™: 296

I think it's the activation of cyborg Danny Carey.

"New rule: If churches don't have to pay taxes, they also can't call the fire department when they catch fire. Sorry reverend, that's one of those services that goes along with paying in. I'll use the fire department I pay for. You can pray for rain."

Last edited by reverend resistor; 09-25-2006 at 02:17 PM..
Old 09-25-2006, 02:36 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

That is a sweet theory, I love it.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

I always thought it was an elevator, and your theory makes a lot of sense. So, that's pretty awesome.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:34 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

The first 7 songs of Lateralus are NOT about his mother...
god damnit Tool comes out with an album about a very long and harsh period of time... and now every Tool album is about his mother. Bullshit.
Think about what 10,000 days means. Its a long, painful period of time. It can mean literally the 10,000 days his mother suffered, or it can mean figuratively... such as how the psychedelic traverler in "Rosetta Stoned" asks "will I ever be coming down?", he feels caught in the moment as if he were there 10,000 days, or just a long stressful period of time.
Now look at Lateralus. "to the side", taking a step aside from the trivial and the insignificant. And while Lateralus seems more like a CD about resolution and ELEVATION, 10,000 days seems like a CD more about getting it all off your chest. Two very different themes...
ALTHOUGH....... Maynard has most likely been influenced by his mother thoughout his life (like many of us), so it would be ignorant to say she didn't influence anything on Lateralus. But the songs themselves are not directed toward her. They have their own special meaning.
I think its great people are still thinking about Lateralus, but you can't take 10,000 Days concepts and apply them to Lateralus. That would be like me saying "You know, Muslims believe in a God, and so do Jews, so therefore they must have something in common!"
Wrong. Two very different things.

Last edited by MORNING_GLORY; 09-29-2006 at 09:36 AM..
Old 09-29-2006, 09:38 AM   #20
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

I heard that EXACT sound before on a DVD special features for a movie. I cannot remember the flick at the moment. Let me check.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:43 PM   #21
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1725

Sounds like an old film projector to me, and you hear the film loosly rattle off one end of the reel at the end of Fiaap de Opiad. It give me the feeling that Lateralus is meant to be listened to from beginning to end, like you would a roll of film being projected. That's my theory of the opening sound.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:44 AM   #22
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

What if the elevator was going UP instead of down? Then that would fit in very nicely with the theme of Lateralus. To me the sound could go either way - up or down.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

ok, so check this one out.

look at the cd of lateralus and notice the eyes going around the cd. They almost look like the teeth on a saw, all jaggedy and sharp.

Now keep, thinking about the saw of eyes as you put the cd into the cd player, and listen to the opening sound.

kinda sounds like a circular saw starting up hunh?

god i hate it when i'm right
Old 10-11-2006, 07:13 AM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

good theory, but i don't think the first seven songs are about his mother. 'The Patient' definatly is not, see my post in "MJK reveals meaning" thread and I have always taken 'Schism' to be about the band coming back as one after the long tedious legal problems.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:01 PM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_shrike29 View Post
good theory, but i don't think the first seven songs are about his mother. 'The Patient' definatly is not, see my post in "MJK reveals meaning" thread and I have always taken 'Schism' to be about the band coming back as one after the long tedious legal problems.
I agree, their legal conflicts were an important element to the album. It sounds as though Maynard was drawing from all the conflicts around the band at that period. I by no means feel that Maynard was writing souly about his mother - after hearing the exact sound on a movie it kind of snowballed one idea which made the first 7 tracks flow beautifully to that particular theme.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

I always looked at it as a roller coaster taking off. Lateralus is quite a ride...
Old 10-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheflute View Post
ok, so check this one out.

look at the cd of lateralus and notice the eyes going around the cd. They almost look like the teeth on a saw, all jaggedy and sharp.

Now keep, thinking about the saw of eyes as you put the cd into the cd player, and listen to the opening sound.

kinda sounds like a circular saw starting up hunh?

god i hate it when i'm right
This is what I've always pictured the sound being as well, ever since the album came out and I first put it in my CD player. I said "Cool, it's a saw." Hahaha... I never really gave it much more thought in the bazillion listens since then.

http://alexgrey.net/2l/3.html
Quote:
"Sawblade" design for disc, representing the foundation of our being, prior to physical reality, as emptiness and awareness
When you turn it on, the physical experience starts... or something to that effect.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

It always sounded like a projector starting up to me, but by no means are any of these bad theories.

I like the incorporation of the cd art as a possible conclusion to the sound. That one makes the most sense out of all of them.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 326

I know most of you are not going to like this connection, but I used to listen to Eminem a lot, and at the beginning of 'Curtain Up' (the first song on the Eminem Show), there is an identical noise. And considering the title of the song and album, I'm gonna have to go with the projector theory (or some noise similar to that).
Old 11-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #30
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I could be way off here, but here goes.

The elevator theory also works when you look at the original meaning of transcendence: climbing or going beyond - elevating perhaps?

Although the meaning of transcendence has evolved over time, Immanuel Kant (rather unfortunate last name!) maintained that the human self, or transcendental ego, constructs knowledge out of sense impressions and from universal concepts called categories that it imposes upon them.

Sound familiar? "we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather"

I could be grabbing at straws here (im a historian, not a philosopher) but the elevator (if that is what it is) could also be representative of transcendental idealism. Then again I could be reading too much into it.

A.

Last edited by ajp1982; 11-12-2006 at 10:45 PM..
Old 11-15-2006, 08:17 AM   #31
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

I understand the elevator thing, but I have to stick with my first gut reaction when I first heard it. To me it sounds like a film projector starting up. I've tried to hear it as an elevator and I suppose it would work but in terms of accuracy, I'm still on the film projector side of things.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:42 PM   #32

I've heard this sound other places too and I've always been curious where ti came from. You can actually hear the sound a LOT in Lucas Arts's _Sam and Max Hit the Road_, specifically when you turn the lights on or off in teh apartment (I think), when the loudmouth at the ball of twine restaurant is bending tools, while you're dicking with the spinning binoculars in teh same area, when you're messing with magnets at the snowglobe section, when the cone of tragedy starts up, and ween you're mucking about with the electronics in teh COnroy Bumpus section. I'm sure it's lots of other places too but it's been forever since i played the game.

Last edited by Lysander; 11-19-2006 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Added in teh cone of tragedy
Old 11-19-2006, 03:05 PM   #33

By the way, you can hear the same sound on the Salival version of THird Eye, just before "So good to see you once again, i thought that you were hiding." Someone mentioned in another thread that it's just a sound effect off of a sound effects CD, and I'm inclined to agree because i've heard it so many places. I'd be curious to know where it came from in the first place, though.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:50 AM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

I work in a kitchen and our service elevator we use to transport the food upstairs into the dining hall and back makes the same sound...everytime I'm in that goddamn elevator I always think of the song and mentally kick in the instruments at their appropriate times...as to why they put that sound at the beginning of the song I have no clue...but I'll go with the theory posted by talon.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:55 AM   #35
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

there's also a sound in Da Vinci code, identical, of an elevator going up. I think regardless of the meaning, it just feels like a beginning; like turning some machine on -- Which is definitely a good analogy for this particular band and album..
Old 12-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #36
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenorakumo View Post
there's also a sound in Da Vinci code, identical, of an elevator going up.
I noticed that as well.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 AM   #37

Bincount™: 2

HERE IT IS:

Don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but...

The sound is a tape reel being stopped & rewound. You know, one of those big ones that the master recording of a song would be on in a studio. It was playing, stopped, and then beginning to rewind. That click that you hear is the rewind button being pushed. If not rewind, then fast forward.

I'm positive that it's one of those. My neighbor had one growing up. Listen again...
Old 12-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #38

Bincount™: 2

Oops, I just saw Paraflux's comment. Paraflux definitely had the right idea.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:38 AM   #39
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenA View Post
What if the elevator was going UP instead of down? Then that would fit in very nicely with the theme of Lateralus. To me the sound could go either way - up or down.
indeed. an elevator. going up (100% certain).

we're going up, tool fans! we are on our way... how do i know? well, simply invert the lateralus tracklist:

13. faaip de oiad (finish)
"the voice of god" in enochian

12. /triad
11. }reflection
10. \disposition

09. lateralus
08. ticks & leeches
07. parabola
06. parabol

05. schism
04. mantra
03. the patient
02. eon blue apocalypse
01. the grudge (start)

intersting, no? yeah, well, it probably will be once you take a gander at the 13-chakra system:

13. godhead (finish)

pineal access:
12. /crown
11. }forty-five degrees
10. \third eye

09. nose
08. chin
07. throat
06. heart (personal)

05. heart (christ)
04. solar plexus
03. will-ego
02. sex
01. survival (start)

/thread
Old 12-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #40

I think (nay, hope) I speak for everyone when I say this: what the hell are you talking about?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: