Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Fear Inoculum
User Name
Password
Vanished's Avatar Vanished
10-07-2019, 07:25 PM

Justin Chancellor told Ernie Ball’s new the Striking a Chord podcast, “There’s many answers to that, but fortunately, everything is split four ways, we’re four equal members, nobody calls the shots, everything is done by a vote, everything is… I guess you could call it a democracy."

My hypothesis: one day Maynard calls a group meeting and says to the band "I should get a bigger share of the loot because I generate more for the band. It's only right." The rest of the band say a deal's a deal. Maynard isn't happy and says he's not coming back until the band gives into his demands, so he goes off and does solo stuff where he takes nearly all the profits. And he makes wine. The rest of the band are out of work. 13 years pass and Maynard decides to cash in for 1/4 of the take on high-priced CD packaging, re-releases and high-price tickets to the shows. Mega-millions later, everyone is so happy, they can hardly count. "And did they tell you the name of the name of the game boys, they call it riding the gravy train."
Old 10-07-2019, 07:25 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Who gets what

Justin Chancellor told Ernie Ball’s new the Striking a Chord podcast, “There’s many answers to that, but fortunately, everything is split four ways, we’re four equal members, nobody calls the shots, everything is done by a vote, everything is… I guess you could call it a democracy."

My hypothesis: one day Maynard calls a group meeting and says to the band "I should get a bigger share of the loot because I generate more for the band. It's only right." The rest of the band say a deal's a deal. Maynard isn't happy and says he's not coming back until the band gives into his demands, so he goes off and does solo stuff where he takes nearly all the profits. And he makes wine. The rest of the band are out of work. 13 years pass and Maynard decides to cash in for 1/4 of the take on high-priced CD packaging, re-releases and high-price tickets to the shows. Mega-millions later, everyone is so happy, they can hardly count. "And did they tell you the name of the name of the game boys, they call it riding the gravy train."
Oculus
10-08-2019, 07:21 AM

.......... (tumbleweed)...................................... .................................................. .........(cricket)...........................
Old 10-08-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Who gets what

.......... (tumbleweed)...................................... .................................................. .........(cricket)...........................
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
10-08-2019, 07:33 AM

You should take after your username
Old 10-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #3
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

You should take after your username
UlyssEEEeeeEEEeees's Avatar UlyssEEEeeeEEEeees
10-08-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oculus View Post
Tumbleweeds and crickets? I think that's unlikely.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oculus View Post
10-08-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlyssEEEeeeEEEeees View Post
Yeah, that was probably a bit much. I apologize.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlyssEEEeeeEEEeees View Post
Yeah, that was probably a bit much. I apologize.
dan's Avatar dan
10-11-2019, 10:17 AM

They all get songwriting credit on all the songs. Something tells me Maynard isn't writing the other members' parts.

Seems more likely that they don't move without total agreement, rather than a mere majority opinion, resulting in a lot of stalemates.

But whoever was the holdout on putting their albums in digital format must be pretty ashamed / please with themselves.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
dan
tool fan

Bincount™: 33962

They all get songwriting credit on all the songs. Something tells me Maynard isn't writing the other members' parts.

Seems more likely that they don't move without total agreement, rather than a mere majority opinion, resulting in a lot of stalemates.

But whoever was the holdout on putting their albums in digital format must be pretty ashamed / please with themselves.
10-11-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post

That's interesting because it's not the norm. In almost all cases the songwriter gets the credit for writing the song, e.g. Lennon/McCartney. Certainly the writing credits weren't disbursed in four parts. Occasionally a writer will generously give partial credit for exemplary performances, as Roger Waters did with David Gilmour and Richard Wright on Dark Side, Gilmour for his guitar work on Animals. Therefore, I'll have to side with Maynard after all. He has a good argument. The best solution is personal effort must be awarded according to a floating pay scheme agreed to by all parties on a case-by-case basis. The 13 year layoff is evidence of that.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post

That's interesting because it's not the norm. In almost all cases the songwriter gets the credit for writing the song, e.g. Lennon/McCartney. Certainly the writing credits weren't disbursed in four parts. Occasionally a writer will generously give partial credit for exemplary performances, as Roger Waters did with David Gilmour and Richard Wright on Dark Side, Gilmour for his guitar work on Animals. Therefore, I'll have to side with Maynard after all. He has a good argument. The best solution is personal effort must be awarded according to a floating pay scheme agreed to by all parties on a case-by-case basis. The 13 year layoff is evidence of that.
10-12-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
No. There are other reasons it took 13 years.
for instance?
Old 10-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
No. There are other reasons it took 13 years.
for instance?
10-12-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Lawsuits. Something to do with art from cam de Leon (could be mistaken) which wasn't the worst thing but the follow up lawsuits of tool versus their own insurance company was. They did win in the end. et cetera
Without specifics, e.g. interviews with all parties, court transcripts, record company comment, and further documentation, all this is hearsay. Bottom line is this shit never happened with their back catalog. Why all of a sudden does this nonsense reach a critical mass just on this one album? The band knows rules of the game, and for some strange reason in this case suddenly they're all brain-washed. At the end of the day, like any other business, it all comes down to economics, let's not kid ourselves here. Perhaps they should change disciplines from sacred geometry to profit making. No work, no pay.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Lawsuits. Something to do with art from cam de Leon (could be mistaken) which wasn't the worst thing but the follow up lawsuits of tool versus their own insurance company was. They did win in the end. et cetera
Without specifics, e.g. interviews with all parties, court transcripts, record company comment, and further documentation, all this is hearsay. Bottom line is this shit never happened with their back catalog. Why all of a sudden does this nonsense reach a critical mass just on this one album? The band knows rules of the game, and for some strange reason in this case suddenly they're all brain-washed. At the end of the day, like any other business, it all comes down to economics, let's not kid ourselves here. Perhaps they should change disciplines from sacred geometry to profit making. No work, no pay.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply