opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 15. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 12-04-2002, 06:55 PM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 50
Seeking Guidance on Drug Use (Shrooms)

I am not sure if this belongs here, I am sorry if it is in the wrong spot. I am new to the board, not new to Tool. I've read your stuff and find it very compelling.

I write this topic not as a "junkie", not as a "pot-head", not as a "child". I write this topic as a person desperately searching his spiritual self, in hopes to experience the new.

I have done shrooms 3 or 4 times, highest dose being 2.5 I have not done them for a couple of years or so, and I want to do them again.

My state of mind has changed completely since last taking them, as has my outlook on life and being.

Basically, I want to know how I can take shrooms and ensure I feel what I want to feel, the things mentioned on this board, and not just get "fucked".

I can only remember taking them and feeling fucked. I do not recall any serious visuals or anything like that. I just want to take them to experience a higher state of being, thinking, or at least coming close to it.

Where do I take them? Do I meditate then take them? Do I listen to TOOL and take them?

I am sorry if this is a confusing (and long) post, but I am searching for guidance and hope someone can be helpful at all, thank you.

Again, my goal is to come close to the higher state of mind, of thinking, of reality. What should I consider in terms of activities, environment, and dosage?

Thank you
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 06:30 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Seeking Guidance on Drug Use (Shrooms)

There really is no way to ensure how your "trip" will go.
Everybody has different body chemistry so drugs effect them in different ways. I personally wouldn't suggest using mushrooms for the reasons you mentioned.
Self-analysis and self-searching are processes that you really are better off having a clear head for, and I have read and been told numerous times that using drugs to try and enter these states can actually inhibit the process and possibly be dangerous. Basically, you can teach yourself ways to enter these states of higher being, and the more you use the same methods, the better those methods work.
So if you figure out how to enter said states, while using mushrooms, it will be much harder for you to enter those states again without the use of mushrooms.
I am not an expert but have done alot of reading, research, and have had many discussions about these types of things with friends. So this is just my advice, take it how you like.
P.S. Meditation is actually probably the best way to enter these higher states of self. But everyone is different about meditation. Find what works for you, and improve on it.
The trick is to find things that relax you the most.
Example; I use very quiet, melodic music in the background, I close my eyes, focus on my breathing and let the music take me along for a ride. I also use Nag Champa incense which has a very pleasant smell. The incense can help to let my subconscious know that I am ready to meditate.
It's kinda like when a woman who just had a baby, hears a baby cry, her breasts will leak the milk. It is kind of an associative thing.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:32 AM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I agree a lot with Floydian. However as someone that has taken shrooms in the past and experienced something bordering on spiritual I guess I can offer some advice. (Note that Im not saying that this is the best thing to do). I kept myself in a room away from others, without television, with dim lights, and soft music playing (Tool, Blueman Group, and some meditative musics) and of course once i started going I began to lose control and become "fucked" but I didn't fight it. I let it go however it decided it should. I got caught in an infinite loop of thinking...I was afraid....I was under the impression that I was going to die...but I decided it was ok. I didn't fight it. I didn't try to touch base with 'reality' as I did at first (it felt like tuning into a radio signal) I just let myself go. Time melted away and eventually my senses went away...and finally my sense of identity went away. I don't really know how to describe it, words don't quite create the correct idea...I guess all I can say though is be in a place that you are comfortable, some place away from distractions, away from large amounts of stimuli, keep a positive state of mind, calm and serene, think about things when you can, focus on what is happening but do not impede it...it will take you where your supposed to go. It could also have been sheer luck...also try and keep in mind that because this is a drug that are using there is no real way of telling yourself that what you experienced isn't just a hallucination or trick of the chemistry. Meditation or self guidance will give you a much surer grasp on these ideas...and you will be able to possibly understand them with the rational mind whereas I can hardly even understand, think on, feel again the state I was in.

Be careful, be smart, if possible try different avenues, there are more then a single path
Old 12-05-2002, 09:54 AM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Thank you both for the replies. I will admit, I am new to meditation, having done it three times or so seriously. Once was in class, I closed my eyes and plugged my ears (all the idiots were talking) and focussed on my breathing, slowing it very much. It felt like 30 seconds, and I looked at the clock and 15 minutes had gone by.

And just the other night I was lying in bed in the dark with Disposition, Reflection, and Triad on the stereo. Again, focussing on the breathing I felt very relaxed with very mild experiences of euphoria during reflection. However, during Triad, my arms lifted towards the sky without me moving them, extremely slowly, then slowly fell back to my sides.

I guess it's just that I've not taken shrooms for a long time, and miss the effect. I believe I will take them, with your advice in mind, just too see if it does anything for me. I will always return to meditation for self reflection.

I too, have read several books concerning hallucinagens - LSD, DMT, Mushrooms. I've also read brief works from Timothy Leary - how his first mushroom trip caused him to see temples and other phenomonon.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:15 AM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

No problem...if you want to really get a taste for meditation find a yoga group that also does meditation. I found one on campus and it was an amazing experience. THe excercises are very difficult both strength-wise and flexibility-wise but in combination with the meditation it is incredibly relaxing. There is a strong sense of euphoria and afterwards you feel both euphoric and hyper-alert. It is completely different then other experiences I have had but there is a real sense of connection between yourself and others around you afterwards. More of a sharing. This experience was easily repeated and was both healthy and inexpensive as opposed to the shrooms so look into it...good luck with your journey
Old 12-11-2002, 11:16 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Can't plan a trip but...

You could say I have a little too much experience with all kinds psychedelic drugs. In the past few years, the only pschedelics I have used are shrooms, very infrequently, for a few reasons.

1. Shrooms don't seem to linger for an extra day like other psychedelics

2. Shrooms just seem easier on the body all together while providing a truly intense experience.

You really can't say that "shrooms are safer than LSD because they're 'natural' " , since many naturally occuring substances are lethal!!! It's pretty much impossible to plan a 'trip' because you never know how yourself or friends are going to react. You may plan a hike but your buddy over there is now sitting on a stump unable move because he's found some revelation in the wood rings!! Anyways, on with the tips that should at least help your chances of having a great trip no matter what happens

1. I always thought tripping with two other people provided the best vibe for any trip. All my most 'comfortable' trips have been with two good friends, not one good friend or two good friends and an aquantance. It may sound cheesy, but who you're with makes a huge difference.

2. If you eat a few caps & stems and then 30 minutes later don't feel anything, wait another 45 minutes. Too much is no good for a first timer.

3. Keep some good tunes handy if you're around the house..pop in that cd that you have'nt heard in 10 years..you'll be amazed!!! Don't get stuck listening to nothing but Tool all night (as great as they are)...I have'nt heard much "bad" music while tripping

4. Have some activity planned if possible, like campiing etc. Just give yourself the option of not going. You never know what you'll feel like doing once a barrage of colors is filtering through your vision!!

I could go on and on as you'll probably find out. The main thing is you're not gonna die and you'll always come down. Stay away from the heavy machinery!!

enjoy
Old 12-18-2002, 02:12 PM   #7
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Thanks for the reply. Just thought that I would let you guys know that I tripped on shrooms (2.5-3g) about 4 or 5 days ago. It was great. It was -3C outside, me, a friend from work, and his two friends, literally walked around my city non-stop for 4.5 hours. I saw so many things, the sky, the christmas lights, the sidewalks were treadmills and the world was passing us by. When I closed my eyes I saw weird geometric figures swirling around my eyelids.

I found myself reciting the slow parts of Third Eye with the other guys looking at me confused (they don't know Tool) I didn't try to do it....I just did it "....is this holy crow above me" but I was confused.....I didn't care, I let it go and just flowed.

I plan to take them again soon, but this time not go walking forever (it wasn't my idea) I would love to take some in a quiet setting, and just meditate until they hit and see what happens. Music would have been a blessing as well, but I was without....

It will probably happen this weekend, I'll let you guys know how it went.

The advice helped - Thinking positive was the key. Not worrying about tomorrow or anything else. For the first time, in a while, I was just "being" - not thinking, concerning, I was just existing and it was excellent.

Thanks again

Anyone else want to share experiences? What is a good method for combining shrooms, music, and quieting my mind. Can it be done outside? With a discman? I think sitting outside at night, in a forest or something would be great....
Old 12-19-2002, 12:36 PM   #8
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 2723
Hmmmmm
Old 12-21-2002, 12:52 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

God.... I can't wait to to do mushrooms
Old 12-22-2002, 01:36 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

after reading i feel like trying shrooms for the 1st time now

can anyone give me a good description and some advice on meditating? it doesnt have to be real thorough. just some good basics and advice. I would really appreciate it.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:55 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Don't forget to respect what you are doing. Don't abuse it. I wouldn't suggest doing it back to back to back.... Just like anything else you abuse, you will lose respect for it.

Also, I agree with keeping it low key. Nice, quiet, comfortable setting with rhythmic music (Tool) and soothing lights/colors.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:11 PM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Session #2

The first mention of my use of mushrooms on this topic, was done to reacquaint my body and mind with them since I had been off of them for almost 2 years. Also, it was used to ready myself.

Session #2 will be in 2 days. I will be going to a friend's house and I plan to request my own room.

I am going to bring candles, music, lights (possibly), books (Sacred Mirrors) and I plan to bring out and delve into the metaphysical and spiritual aspects of myself.

Again, I will let you know how it goes, glad I can be a guinea pig for some.

S.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:19 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Every trip is different...

One thing you must keep in mind when taking the mushrooms is that you don't always hallucinate. Sometimes you get more of a body high, and laugh alot.

Another thing about shrooms is that you slip in and out of it. You can be immersed in a full blown hallucination and then walk out the door of your house, walk to the store and by a loaf of bread and then start to trip again.

One of the greatest experiences with Mushrooms was when me and five friends stood on a hill near our school campus, it was the last day of school (must of been 10th grade) and we watched the pink sun sink into the earth. Trips are all distinct and differ from each other. None two are alike.

It takes a pretty large dose to get me to trip, two grams no longer makes me hallucinate, and these are potent shrooms mind you (black death shrooms).

I experience some stomach for a week after ingestion, this is due to the psilocybin which is actually the poison in the shrooms that makes you hallucinate.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:47 PM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 279
Shrooms are bad ass......RED DEVILS....i live in shrooms heaven(southeast LA)i take them quite often lately....all kinds too cause where we live..it has been proven that there are NO PIOSIONOUS kinds....reguardless of what u Experts say.For ur first trip....just stay in doors with ur BESt two buds........an shoot the shit......rediscover each other.....talk about the most mind boggling shit...listen to tool......led zeppelin,pink floyd,some techo.....mix it up.......draw....if ur a muscian....creat some music....i promise u bad trips come form PPL who think too much into it.They say life is preception.....so are drugs.....its all how U make them.....FOR ME.......im just hopeing u get some ideas out of what i say....wanna know more ask me bro.....im pretty exp with drugs....not braggin cause its no braggin matter...........tootles

How much is enough?
Old 06-29-2003, 09:53 PM   #15
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 64
a nice relaxed setting. 3 packs of smokes if you smoke. A healthy bag-o-weed (if you smoke), soothing tunes, friends that you're comfortable farting around, munchies that you can stare at and poke and -maybe- eat later... a nice view to kick back and watch as the sun rises or a midnight park or, even better, chasing rabbits on a gold course at night with friends....

Finally, if you're head and heart are in the same place, I'd think you're trip, shrooms or not, will lead you to where you want to go. Don't force it, just let it wash over you and pretty soon you'll be smiling like a chesire cat. Speaking of cats, they're cool fry buddies.

...and then send me some because it's been waaaayyyy too long.

-MeEp
Old 07-16-2003, 07:02 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
i don't do drugs but ok computer would be a good album to trip to i would think.

also drugs are dangerous, try getting natural highs if possible. sometimes it just happens. you can't force it but you appreciate it more. kind of what maynard does i think, remember he said "do the drugs once and then spend your life trying to get up there without them". it's so much more rewarding.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:43 PM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

acid vs shrooms

Okay I too have a question about the great mushroom. How does it compare to Acid? Seriously, when I was younger I did a lot of drugs, but for the past three years, nothing. There is a reason I quit doing Acid... But I really want to try shrooms. But if it is anything like Acid, no thank you. So I really want to know the differences. I love to trip, acid just got to be too much. And some say shrooms are not near as bad, but others say you can freak out just as much... just wondering what the deal is... thanks, I love you all...

LEARN TO SWIM
SKYWALKER
Old 07-31-2003, 08:51 PM   #18
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantobourne

...and then send me some because it's been waaaayyyy too long.

-MeEp
ONce again, I'll invite you to come to Chicago and visit me...
Old 07-31-2003, 08:59 PM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 277
Re: acid vs shrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Okay I too have a question about the great mushroom. How does it compare to Acid? Seriously, when I was younger I did a lot of drugs, but for the past three years, nothing. There is a reason I quit doing Acid... But I really want to try shrooms. But if it is anything like Acid, no thank you. So I really want to know the differences. I love to trip, acid just got to be too much. And some say shrooms are not near as bad, but others say you can freak out just as much... just wondering what the deal is... thanks, I love you all...

LEARN TO SWIM
SKYWALKER

Sorry...I think mushrooms are less predictable. It depends on dose, strain and season. Some of my trip have been extremely intense, while others were more of a body high. I took a Japanese strain once that totally fucked up my handle. It is a more natural high, with some mental activity but not necessarily any hallucination. LSD gives you that hung over, residual effect, and mushrooms don't.

I am kind of in the same boat, I haven't taken psychedelics in a while but I really want to do them again soon.

More info? www.erowid.org
Old 08-01-2003, 02:28 PM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

Your mind is being influence by shrooms, not your soul.

Meditating is quieting the innervoice within, to do this, people eaither, listen to certain type of music (this is why I LOVE TOOL) meditating on ur zen spots (heart, third eye, and power) or chanting (mantra).

If you do want to use shrooms for SELF REFLECTION, what u can do is, take them in, and just sit down somewere, isolated from anything, and just start thinking about the past actions you have taken, (THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA WITH A WEAK MIND)

If want to feel god, be sure you are in a enviorment full of good karma, and spirit (The forest would be perfect)

All you need to think about, is that god is everwere, he is made out of everything you see, hear, think, do. He is the space you are in, the space around you, and everything else there is. He is, is.

Dont try to get into any religions, but if you ever want too, I suggest hinduism as the best out there.

Shrooms are holy remeber that, if you treat them that way, they will make you feel holy, and will make you feel to be part of everything.

If you start to sad trip, remeber, you took a drug, to make u feel this way, then remeber, how much you paid to do take this drugs, and how rare they, just remeber good things, when u start to sad trip, move your thought somewere else, but, if it keeps on coming back, then waste atleast 10 mins on the thought, trieng to solve it, if u cant solve this thought in 10 mins, then just forget about it, write it down, and tell yourself, ill think about it when im sober.

Have fun.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:31 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by haarp
Your mind is being influence by shrooms, not your soul.

Meditating is quieting the innervoice within, to do this, people eaither, listen to certain type of music (this is why I LOVE TOOL) meditating on ur zen spots (heart, third eye, and power) or chanting (mantra).

If you do want to use shrooms for SELF REFLECTION, what u can do is, take them in, and just sit down somewere, isolated from anything, and just start thinking about the past actions you have taken, (THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA WITH A WEAK MIND)

If want to feel god, be sure you are in a enviorment full of good karma, and spirit (The forest would be perfect)

All you need to think about, is that god is everwere, he is made out of everything you see, hear, think, do. He is the space you are in, the space around you, and everything else there is. He is, is.

Dont try to get into any religions, but if you ever want too, I suggest hinduism as the best out there.

Shrooms are holy remeber that, if you treat them that way, they will make you feel holy, and will make you feel to be part of everything.

If you start to sad trip, remeber, you took a drug, to make u feel this way, then remeber, how much you paid to do take this drugs, and how rare they, just remeber good things, when u start to sad trip, move your thought somewere else, but, if it keeps on coming back, then waste atleast 10 mins on the thought, trieng to solve it, if u cant solve this thought in 10 mins, then just forget about it, write it down, and tell yourself, ill think about it when im sober.

Have fun.

nicely said :) I hate you all for keeping me from my 8 page philosophy final!!

by the way, the forest is the perfect place (for me) to 'feel' God, on shrooms.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/sho...er-1427364.html
Old 03-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

personally i suggest taking the shrooms, meditating whilist listening to music (for example tool) blah, what the fuck do i know...
Old 12-22-2004, 12:13 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: Session #2 -Tips

I recently took some shrooms w/ a chef. I had tried the same shrooms previously (from the same batch and knew they were "very good"). We only had 2 grams between us, but managed to have one hell of a trip, hence the....

ULTIMATE SHROOM TIP - always chop your shrooms into the finest powder possible. this will at least double the intensity. My chef buddy cut 'em into a fine powder (remember just 2 grams total) and then we mixed it up in a frozen blender drink. We split the drink , thinking we both had a gram. No later than 10 minutes after sipping on these drinks we were tripping..up and up ... and up. Finished the drinks in about on hour, and felt as if we'd had 1/8 oz each..

just a tip.. never again will I chew a shroom, I will only take as a powder
Old 01-03-2005, 06:17 PM   #24
Banned.

Bincount™: 5

true that... the ultimate trip for me is about 6 beers under the belt and 2 grams of powder... the beer KILLS the anxiety and makes the halucinations very very fluid and strong. Having a good alcohol buzz helps you just sit and chill... keeps you from trippin on if you are acting stupid or saying something stupid. This happens alot if you are around people that are not on mushrooms or dont get it.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:17 PM   #25
Banned.

Bincount™: 5

mushrooms :D
Old 01-11-2005, 11:44 AM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 49

Shrooms are good this if firmly established. Undeniably they are an effective spiritual tool, but they are not a means in themselves. Various forms of meditation and an adherence to a purified lifestyle are probably better ways. but never take large doses of shrooms if you are not confident in your mindset/feeling secure, because they will make you sorry for your sins. really.

In the end I think while serotonergic psychedelics such as shrooms, lsd and DMT are fantastic oppurtunities for mind expansion (i think they tap into the creative Eros energies of the universe, synchronising your brain's, in particular temporal lobe, electroencephalagram with a fundamental wave form) they are ultimately not the way to go about it. Drugs are the highway, spiritual practice is the path. They both lead to the same destination and the highway will get you their quicker and easier, but in the end its gonna pollute the environment and overuse will lead to ecological collapse (your mind that is).

triangular probably sums it up tho with 'mushrooms :D'

What kind of shrooms are you guys all taking?! From what i gather most of you arent from the land of Eng but over here a mini-minimum dose would be about 15 grams of cubensis, 10 for truffles (philosophers stone) and a decent fresh handful of psilocybe semilceanta (liberty caps). what is this god-like 2 gram powder shiznay?! know the species name perchance?

also, on the subject of drugness, what is the availability of mescaline like round your parts? ive always wanted to try it since getting into Hunter S' work (not to mention Huxley). I imagine it would be fantastic to Tool, heard its pretty big on elaborating the brains perception of geometric patterns (LATERALUS!).
peace
Old 01-25-2005, 09:13 PM   #27
Level 2 - Poster

ive been taking hallucinogens for a while now, and i must agree that shrooms are terrific. i mean i have had my bad experiences with them but the good ones way outweigh those. i havent taken any psychedelics in about a year now (fucking probation) but am dying to get off so i can take them again. some of my best trips have been just tripping by myself listening to music and smoking the shit out of some pot. i always love to just go walking around my neighborhood looking at trees and nature. i have a couple of hits of acid that ive been saving for when i get off and was wondering how long acid lasts for. on the lycaeum they said lsd lasts for up to 4 years if storred properly. anyone know any differently? also it has been incredibly hard to find lsd since about 2000 i guess. whats the fucking deal with that? anyways i guess i would just jump on the bandwagon and express my love of mind altering substances.
peace
sage
Old 04-09-2005, 08:20 PM   #28
On Probation

Bincount™: 21

my friend did shrooms for her first time the other week, and she said it was awesome. her main source of amazement were all the vivid colors, but shes not exactly a deep thinker, so she wouldnt get out of the experience what youre trying to get. im definitely thinking of doing shrooms soon, maybe acid over the summer. i figure i might as well give it a shot once.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:35 PM   #29
Level 8 - Vociferous

This is just my personal experiance. But I found that if you meditate before you take the mushrooms that you will have a wayyyyyy better trip. There is no possible way to ensure this, becuase everyone has a different effect with this drug.

What I do, I meditate before I take the shrooms, eat 2/3 of an 1/8 ounce really slowly. Then I eat the rest 25 minutes later.

By the way, tripping and playing guitar along with Third Eye (or just about any tool songs for that matter) is FUCKING ORGASMIC. I dont think there is many people who can actully fuction well enough after an eighth of shrooms to play guitar, but its awesome.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:41 PM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

I just realized that this thread was started like 2 years ago. *feels stupid for posting*
Old 04-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #31
Level 8 - Vociferous

The last time I did shrooms, I took 4 grams. I had class later that day, but seeing as I am acing it, I decided not to go, and just stay home and trip

A few hours into my trip I started having a "sad trip". I thought at the time that it was because I was being to unproductive. I wasn't getting anything (Creatively or acedemically) done, so I decided to go to class... which by the way was my logic class.

It was funny, despite the fact that the room appeared to be flooded, the chalkboard would not stop moving, and the teachers face was constantly flashing different colors, I understood the material. I understood it better than anyone in that class, and I was trippin my fucking ass off.

Just another amuzing hallucinogenic drug story.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #32
On Probation

Bincount™: 21

my friend told me of a story he read somewhere...

two friends are tripping on shrooms, and suddenly, the one friend discovers an equation that proves he shouldn't exist. while i doubt he actually found a real equation (don't scare yourselves), it made more than enough sense to him, because he then went into a seizure, because his mind couldn't cope with the doublethink of knowing it didn't exist. the collision between the logic of "I cannot exist" and "I think, therefore I am" created this. not wanting to get caught, the other friend is scared as shit and leaves his friend for a small time. he comes back half an hour later, his friend is fine, and claims to have been reborn, or something along those lines.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: