Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 02. Jambi
User Name
Password
Warartist's Avatar Warartist
06-22-2006, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
Wouldn't it be awesome if they called this song "Significant Other"? I absolutely would've thrown the album in my waste bin.
That would be kind of...... Stupid..
Old 06-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #121
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: Wjat is this song about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
Wouldn't it be awesome if they called this song "Significant Other"? I absolutely would've thrown the album in my waste bin.
That would be kind of...... Stupid..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
calendor's Avatar calendor
06-22-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneequalszero
I think the song would fall into place if there was a definite answer about who "you" is in it. I've read a few theories, I really do think the "son" is "sun", it just works way better. Maybe something official will come out...
Yep. Makes more sense with "Sun".
Old 06-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #122
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneequalszero
I think the song would fall into place if there was a definite answer about who "you" is in it. I've read a few theories, I really do think the "son" is "sun", it just works way better. Maybe something official will come out...
Yep. Makes more sense with "Sun".
calendor's Avatar calendor
06-22-2006, 11:00 AM

http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=1046934&postcount=53

I would love to see this on The History Channel. Also I think this justifies the mood and initial setting for Jambi... at least in a musical way.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:00 AM   #123
Level 1 - Lurker

http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=1046934&postcount=53

I would love to see this on The History Channel. Also I think this justifies the mood and initial setting for Jambi... at least in a musical way.
swink49
06-23-2006, 07:21 AM

One more tangent.
Any chance this song wraps up "Jimmy" on Aenima? Towards the end of Jimmy, there is this line:

I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together.

It feels like he has found a way to heal his pain through "Wings" and "10,000 Days". Maybe now:

"Shine [on 'til / until] the two become one"
"Breathe in union

So, as one, survive
Another day and season"

Could it be his son and his mother's passing have allowed him to go back and keep that promise he made to himself as 11 in "Jimmy"?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:21 AM   #124
Level 1 - Lurker

One more tangent.
Any chance this song wraps up "Jimmy" on Aenima? Towards the end of Jimmy, there is this line:

I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together.

It feels like he has found a way to heal his pain through "Wings" and "10,000 Days". Maybe now:

"Shine [on 'til / until] the two become one"
"Breathe in union

So, as one, survive
Another day and season"

Could it be his son and his mother's passing have allowed him to go back and keep that promise he made to himself as 11 in "Jimmy"?
EulogyCallinMe's Avatar EulogyCallinMe
06-23-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefire
Anakin Skywalker, obviously.
hahaha yeah...
i dont know why super overly nerdy and lame stuff like this makes me laugh, but it does. and i wouldnt want it any other way.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:38 AM   #125
Super Goof or Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen? You decide

Bincount™: 1563

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefire
Anakin Skywalker, obviously.
hahaha yeah...
i dont know why super overly nerdy and lame stuff like this makes me laugh, but it does. and i wouldnt want it any other way.
EulogyCallinMe's Avatar EulogyCallinMe
07-13-2006, 11:40 AM

ok so this song is either about nothing at all...
or like 4 subjects simultaneously. man this maynard guy is good...
"Am I a pretty girl?"
Old 07-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #126
Super Goof or Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen? You decide

Bincount™: 1563

ok so this song is either about nothing at all...
or like 4 subjects simultaneously. man this maynard guy is good...
"Am I a pretty girl?"
tyxlc
07-18-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend187
Not Jesus, I think.

Aside from the fact that Maynard is VERY unlikely to... accept a dogmatic religion.... there are aspects of the song that point to it being about a tangible, mortal person in his life. For instance,

"So if I could I'd wish it all away
If I thought tomorrow, they'd take you away"

They'd take you away? Not Jesus... No third party can take Jesus away.

"[Pray / Prayed] like a [martyr / father] [does / dusk] to dawn
Beg like a hooker all night long
Shout to the devil with my song
And got what I wanted all along"

Shouted to the devil and got what he wanted, but would give it up just so not to lose....Jesus? Doesn't make any sense. He would technically have to forsake any aspect of the Devil, figuratively or literally, to have Jesus in the first place.

Although I think Maynard's spiritual beliefs seem to have evolved in the last few years, the idea that this is about Jesus just doesn't seem right. Unless he really wasn't fucking with us in April 2005 :P (Maynard found Jesus? hehe).

But I think it makes a lot of sense when applied to his son.

The parts that really bewilder me are the references to "benevolent sun" (and it could be a double meaning with sun and son, but a) I don't think its Jesus, and b) I don't see how his son could be called benevolent...).

Oh, and that angry bit at the end really wouldn't fit the Jesus theory either...

"So, as one, survive
Another day and season
Silently, just [say / save] your poison
Silently, just stay out of my way"

He's definitely not telling non-believers to stay out of his way. That'd be a complete contradiction of everything he seems to believe in.
Some holes in your argument: you have no idea what maynard is likely to do or not to do.

you have overlooked some possibilities.

i think the song could be about three people and groups of people (using "people" loosely) . His mom (who they might take away), Jesus (benevolent son) and demons (legion, and the last stanza). Makes sense as far as i can tell. but maybe not true either.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 PM   #127
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend187
Not Jesus, I think.

Aside from the fact that Maynard is VERY unlikely to... accept a dogmatic religion.... there are aspects of the song that point to it being about a tangible, mortal person in his life. For instance,

"So if I could I'd wish it all away
If I thought tomorrow, they'd take you away"

They'd take you away? Not Jesus... No third party can take Jesus away.

"[Pray / Prayed] like a [martyr / father] [does / dusk] to dawn
Beg like a hooker all night long
Shout to the devil with my song
And got what I wanted all along"

Shouted to the devil and got what he wanted, but would give it up just so not to lose....Jesus? Doesn't make any sense. He would technically have to forsake any aspect of the Devil, figuratively or literally, to have Jesus in the first place.

Although I think Maynard's spiritual beliefs seem to have evolved in the last few years, the idea that this is about Jesus just doesn't seem right. Unless he really wasn't fucking with us in April 2005 :P (Maynard found Jesus? hehe).

But I think it makes a lot of sense when applied to his son.

The parts that really bewilder me are the references to "benevolent sun" (and it could be a double meaning with sun and son, but a) I don't think its Jesus, and b) I don't see how his son could be called benevolent...).

Oh, and that angry bit at the end really wouldn't fit the Jesus theory either...

"So, as one, survive
Another day and season
Silently, just [say / save] your poison
Silently, just stay out of my way"

He's definitely not telling non-believers to stay out of his way. That'd be a complete contradiction of everything he seems to believe in.
Some holes in your argument: you have no idea what maynard is likely to do or not to do.

you have overlooked some possibilities.

i think the song could be about three people and groups of people (using "people" loosely) . His mom (who they might take away), Jesus (benevolent son) and demons (legion, and the last stanza). Makes sense as far as i can tell. but maybe not true either.
tyxlc
07-18-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
I get your rationale that the "fulcrum" and the "center" are varied iterations of the same central idea. The fulcrum is the center that holds all related objects in ballance, and thus the integrity of the fulcrum cannot be compromised without dire reprecussions. To me, anyway, compromising one's fulcrum is an inherently bad thing, so it makes sense that he would damn/dim/jam his eyes if they should compromise his fulcrum.
did someone already mention that the line about damning his eyes is possibly a reference to Jesus' teaching that if your left eye offends you pluck it out, because it is better to enter heaven with one eye than spend an eternity in hell.?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:54 PM   #128
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
I get your rationale that the "fulcrum" and the "center" are varied iterations of the same central idea. The fulcrum is the center that holds all related objects in ballance, and thus the integrity of the fulcrum cannot be compromised without dire reprecussions. To me, anyway, compromising one's fulcrum is an inherently bad thing, so it makes sense that he would damn/dim/jam his eyes if they should compromise his fulcrum.
did someone already mention that the line about damning his eyes is possibly a reference to Jesus' teaching that if your left eye offends you pluck it out, because it is better to enter heaven with one eye than spend an eternity in hell.?
Randall's Avatar Randall
07-18-2006, 11:00 PM

THis song is obviously about Pee-wees Genie Jambi, the man behind the box, beautiful

I realize someone brought this about in a review, its Jambi though, he will wish it all away

Last edited by Randall; 07-18-2006 at 11:03 PM..
Old 07-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #129
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

THis song is obviously about Pee-wees Genie Jambi, the man behind the box, beautiful

I realize someone brought this about in a review, its Jambi though, he will wish it all away

Last edited by Randall; 07-18-2006 at 11:03 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply