opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-14-2006, 06:48 AM   #41
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67
Re: 2006/05/13 - Chicago, IL - Auditorium Theatre

Well compared to other drummers I've seen live, it didn't even look like Danny was trying. I was pretty far away though...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 07:42 AM   #42
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Great performance. The band sounded pretty tight. This was my 6th show, first show on this tour. I was in balc 1 row f. I thought the vocals were way to low. Maybe it was because Maynard was sick, but I could hardly hear what he was saying or singing (low and muffled). It was amazing to be the first ones to hear right in two live. I was also glad to get to hear the extended version of stinkfist, as well as some of the other jam outs. Rosetta Stoned rocked my face off. Also glad I picked up two posters. I was pissed about all the damn Scalpers outside the autitorium. Fucking scalpers those pieces of shit. Can't wait for Detroit on Monday.

"Fuck L. Ron Hubbard"
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 08:10 AM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Aenema11
I was in section hh seat 301 anyone around there??
yeah. hh 403-404. perfect seats. there was a guy right infront of me who was a little stoned and a little drunk and was making hand gestures or body movements to any lyric he could. kind of entertaining to me. he was obviously having a good time and i was ok with that. i loved right in two. my girl was excited to hear lateralus. she was sad because she didnt think they would play it. met some cool guys waiting for the doors to open. one who flew in from cali. to see the show. fucking dedicated. or maybe it was raining.
i must admit i fought back tear atleast 5 times due to the intensity and overwhelming power of tools music live. jambi however was an exception i couldnt help it. ive chosen to apply those lyrics to my girlfriends effect on me and what i would do to keep her. beautiful. thank you tool
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

Seen Tool about 12 times since 92 and this is up there with the better ones eventhough Maynard was sick. I was hoping to hear The Pot live, but I guess you can't win them all. Had 5th row seats right in front of Adam. Security was brutal on people with Cameras and Camera Phones. two people got taken out near me for taking pictures. Can't wait for the full blown tour at the end of the summer.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 08:48 AM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

My third TOOL show in two decades. I arrived right as the show started. Bought a beer and started to my balcony 1 row T seat – but never made it. As the band got louder I rushed towards the sound board and stood with a perfect view near the aisle. Then during Stinkfist a security women asked me for my ticket. I checked in 8 pockets, twice, and couldn't find my ticket. I then asked my buddy who was next me to show the security his ticket. He did, and I said "I sit next to him." But she demanded to see my ticket. I finally found it - and all this sucks cause I'm missing Stinkfist. Security lady says "you can't stand for free, it will cost you." So we talked briefly and finally I offered here $20 bucks. She came back 30 minutes later and says "what you did you decide?" - I gave her $20 bucks and she never hassled me again. But she did hassle everyone else who tried to stand next to me and my buddy. The concert was incredible. The concert was loud, very loud. The visuals, from my viewpoint, were fabulous. There was reoccurring bulls-eye's, and center marks and they all were centered on Maynards head. And the floating Dove with the three bullet holes - awesome! I can't wait for the stadium tour - but tonight was spectacular!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

First post from a longtime Toolshed visitor, and Tool fan since '93.
This was my 4th show. Great sound, great lighting, great visuals. Except for several what seemed to be mess-ups on Adams part, which may or may not have been intentional, the band played as good as would be expected.

The sound techs seemed to be on top of things for the most part, altering levels when needed, vocals in particular. Right in Two, never saw that coming, but much appreciated, and a fair trade-off for The Pot and The Patient. Maynard's "dancing", top notch entertainment. heh

I did observe something I thought to be strange however. The excitement of the crowd seemed dependant on the age of the song. The older the song, Sober and songs from Aenima for instance, the more the crowd was into it. I was surprised to see the majority of the crowd near motionless in comparison through most of the 10,000 Days material. I thought this was strange considering the difficulty in getting tickets, and thinking mostly "hardcore" fans would be in attendance. Oh well, not a big deal, it did not hinder my enjoyment of the show. I can not wait to see them again in the Fall.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show and it rocked pretty hard. Being the middle-aged straight looking guy I am, it's always fun watching the paranoid youngsters around me wondering if I'm a cop. I was expecting better sound from the Auditorium, but this is loud bass heavy stuff, so not bad in that regard.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #48
Formerly Tool Aenema11

Bincount™: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflectioneternal77
Well the show ended on a high note with Maynard suggesting that Montana? or Chicago? was a good safe place to live before breaking into Aenema, where L. Ron Hubbard was switched out for Rupert Murdock just like at Coachella.He "
Which one was it Chicago or Montana?? I couldn't hear that either.
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #49
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Aenema11
Which one was it Chicago or Montana?? I couldn't hear that either.
He said Montana. Said it was a good place to live (adding to Danny "...strategically.")
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 10:16 AM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my third tool concert, the previous two being at the allstate arena during the Lateralus tour- but it was by far the best and one I'll never forget

This was my first time going to a conert alone. To make a long unecessary story short- friends and my brother refused to pay the increased prices. So I figure oh well, I'll catch the arena tour. But then I find out my buddy's birthday dinner is gonna be right downtown at 6:00 that evening. I couldn't live with myself if I was sitting 6 blocks away from the auditorium and not inside. So I buy a single ticket at the last minute and just go alone. If anyone saw me, I was in row CC next to the kid that was tripping out and going totally out of his mind most of the show. I also could be identified as probably that short guy who looks alot younger than I really am (20).

So needless to say I was a little aprehensive about going alone, but once I got in line and then saw the venue, i didnt give a shit. I was so excited just waiting I could barely stand it. The lights go down and its just me and the band, and thats all that really matters. The venue, the intimacy, just everything made this such a great unique experience. It was really amazing to hear tool clearly in a theatre rather than a shitty arena.

The band was great, I wont go into detail over maynard being sick etc and the setlist...I just felt privilidged to hear right in two live for the first time. The aforementioned stoned guy got a little annoying at times because he decided to scream at the top of his lungs through most of the songs. I know he's just having a good time- but I prefer to hear Maynard sing not you, and his vocals were already kind of low as it was. The extended schism made it all worth it too-that was amazing.
I'd have to say the highlight was Lateralus, it completely rocked and the entire audience was really into it.

It was also so entertaining to watch maynards "dancing." Compared to what we got on the Lateralus tour, he just seemed so much more lively and happy, I think that alone just added immensely to my enjoyment of the show. but I'm just completely blown away now, still even the next day. What a great experience

I also am thinking of trying to see them at the summer sonic tour in Tokyo in august. I'm studying there for the fall semester, and its about 2 weeks before I'm set to arrive...but if I can get plans set I may try to go and see them. I think tool in tokyo would be quite an experience..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #51
Level 1 - Lurker

Amazing show. One of the best shows I have seen in a long time. Definately in the top 5. The lighting, stage setup and layout, visuals, and sound were awesome. The band was on as usual and they rock the f ing house. You could tell Maynard was sick, because you could hardly hear him at times. That was also due to drown outs from the bass. It was great to see Maynard actually getting into the music and start dancing. It's been along time and coming!

I was suprised not many people were getting into the music and just standing there or sitting. I am not saying there should be mosh pits, but do people ever rock out any more! I understand its a theater, but you are going to see TOOL. It's not bare naked ladies or dave mathews.

It was nice to met a lot of tranie's like us. Hopefully you'all made it home alright! Especially the dude in the sit next to us last row between the two sound boards (excellent seats), and the fellow detroiters from the parking garage. Was there even a big Chicago presence?

Departed Detroit @ 1:30pm
Arrived @ Chicago 6:30pm
Departed Chicago @ 11:30pm
Arrived Detroit @ 5:15am

Mothers day @ 10:30am!!! F.....

The show was worth all of it!! Trying to buy tickets for Detroit show on Monday.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 4

the show was amazing. It seemed like they did an extended version of lateralus as well as stinkfist and schism. And that version of schism made that song into a whole new creature. absolutely amazing. And alot of respect to everyone in the crowd, everyone was very cool. did anyone check out that museum in chicago, me and my friend got stoned as hell and spent five hours there. it was great.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #53
Level 4 - Thinker

So here goes my longish Tool experience…
(you can scroll down to the review(next post) instead)
I was 4th in line on April 22nd at Ticketmaster in Orland Park, IL when tickets went on sale and believe it or not, NOBODY there got any tickets. It didn't help that they lined us up outside and led us in at 11:01 after the tix already were on sale. So that sucked. My buddy Matt was lucky enough to get his 1st row balcony ticket online, clicking 'Refresh' to death. I told my girlfriend she won’t be going to the show with me. ;-)

May 13th was drawing near and I was getting so antsy because I didn't have a ticket. I was willing to spend up to $150, which I think is more than adequate, but everything on eBay was north of that. On Wednesday the 10th, I was downtown for the Conan O’Brien show, so I swung by the theater’s box office to check if maybe some tickets became available. No luck. My last ditch effort was to just go down to the day of the show and find a ticket. I figured I might as well try, as I had nothing to lose except $14 parking (which should have been $10 with my parking validation but it was expired or some b.s. At that point, I didn't care, I had just seen Tool).

So May 13 arrives and all day my stomach was in a knot. I was hoping my plan would work out. I tried Ticketmasturbater one last time in Orland to no avail. I had to attend my Grandpa's and his twin brother's 80th surprise birthday party at 4pm, which I knew about long before the concert was announced. I left the party about 6pm without a problem, except my Mom’s cousin called me a “bonehead” for going to a concert without a ticket. I got downtown on the Stevenson without any traffic, but I did go past a completely wrecked ’06 Mustang GT near the Lake Shore Drive ramp. It looked like some kids going to their prom; I would guess they were o.k. I was hoping I would have better luck than them tonight! I got my car parked about 6:45 and was out in front of the theater to start my attempts at getting a ticket. I was worried though because it was my first time trying to get a ticket out front; I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off. I had a better chance than anyone else since I was the only one with a sign!

My buddy Matt arrives and spots me. He has to get his ticket at will-call. He tells me “I’ll come back, but if I can’t, I’ll see you INSIDE!” (wink, wink) He was able to come back out and was going to chill with me until I potentially get my ticket. We hop in the “maybe-we-can-get-last-minute-tickets” line since the scalpers were at $200 and above. No sooner than I hang up with my girlfriend telling her I don’t have a ticket yet, a younger guy walks up to me…
Him - “I have an extra ticket”.
Me - “How much?”
Him - “How’s $70 sound?”
Me - “Are you serious? Sounds good to me!” (as I’m fumbling cash out of my pocket) “Here’s $80.”
Matt – “Put that ticket in your pocket right now!”
Some dude behind Matt – “Can I have your sign?”
Me – “Sure dude. I don’t need it anymore!”

Most of the conversation is now a blur because I was so excited. Thanks to the guy, you know who you are if you read this. The guy’s mom and buddy were with him. I could not thank them enough! The mom says something like, “You deserve it!” I tell her “Happy Mother’s Day!” It turns out his mom got them 4th row orchestra tickets and needed to sell his original one to a deserving fan. I was the first person he saw and I had my homemade sign. I’m glad luck played out, and I think Matt brings me good luck every time. I got lucky at the last minute for the May 17, 2001 show at the Riviera with a ticket for $100. Thanks again (Mom), (Son), and (Friend), sorry I didn’t get your names! I hope you enjoyed the show as much, and probably more than I did! If I ever have an extra ticket to sell before a show, I’m going to sell it for face value like that. It is just the right thing to do for a well-deserving fan. I know how it feels.

We get inside, I buy the nice black tour shirt, and Matt and I part our ways and tell each to enjoy the show. I make my way up to Balcony 1, Row P, Seat 303. I settle down in my plush seat just before 8:00pm. It wasn’t a bad seat at all, just right of center looking at the stage. There was a pillar two rows in front of me but it was not in the way at all. Seat 304 directly to the left of me, however, was completely obstructed and nobody actually sat there, so it was nice to have a little extra room to groove to the music. I had a hard time realizing that I actually made it, and I was waiting to see my favorite band Tool perform in front of my very own eyes for the 3rd time. I should have pinched myself. I just looked around and observed the people around me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 11:04 AM   #54
Level 4 - Thinker

Review

The Auditorium is now by far the best venue I’ve seen a show at. The interior is amazing and even more so when you realize a major band is playing in it. There was no less than 4 or 5 bars in the place. Too bad I’m not 21 until September. The box seats looked badass with those nice comfy chairs. The sound was pretty good, but from where I was sitting, the bass was a little boomy. I think it was because I was just under the 2nd balcony and there was some standing sound waves or resonance. At times, I couldn’t hear Maynard singing due to that, or people singing along so loud, or both. The people in the front rows of the balcony probably didn’t have any gripes about the sound. I’m sure the closer, the better.

I couldn’t understand anything Maynard said in between songs except the first thing which was
“Chicago… It seems like every time I come to Chicago I get sick.”

I think he went on later to say that he was sick, etc. as others have already noted. Its unfortunate because the weather was rather nice here until it turned all cold and crappy last week if that played a part. I think he also apologized for the late start. At one point between songs, I believe he left the stage, and possibly Adam too.

Lost Keys - got my ears ringing, and Rosetta Stoned, with its phat reprise, were both good.

Stinkfist - was right on, it was a/the extended version. Maynard let the crowd sing “I'll keep digging till I feel something.”

46&2 - was also very good.

Jambi - was not bad except for the talkbox, which from what I’ve heard can be a little stubborn.

Schism – at first I thought was rushed when they played the middle slow part fast, but it turned out to be badass since they doubled it up with the slow.

Right in Two - stood out the most in my mind of the songs off the new album. It just sounded so much better live than a recording. I haven’t been able to listen to the new CD on any decent sound system yet. Glad we got to hear it, swapped out for The Patient and The Pot.

Sober - in my opinion, is one song that has to be listened to played live. No matter how loud I listen to Sober on my own, a recording can not do it justice.

Lateralus - the crowd went nuts and it was fantastic. Unfortunately, the girl next to me knew every last word.

Their “intermission” was very short and just like the other shows.

Vicarious - Maynard played some notes on his keyboard to his right after their little “intermission” and the up into the intro. Flawless. My ears were starting to ring badly at this point.

Aenema - crowd went wild as expected.

The show was over. The band threw water, and Danny threw his sticks and drum heads to the crowd. They exited stage right and the curtain closed.

The only problem I was constantly distracted. People with their phones out. The ushers where I was at weren’t too bad about people taking pictures. I kept looking for opportunities to snap some when the usher wasn’t around when I should’ve been paying attention to the show. I kept daydreaming like “Wow, I’m really here!” I wasn’t on drugs or anything, but I couldn’t stay focused because I already knew what the setlist was going to be thanks to everyone else’s reviews. At one point, I got to thinking that 10,000 Days would be Tool’s last. And dare I say Tool is showing their age? I think I was just trying to take too much into account. Maynard is just a little sick is all. I think I would have been more pumped and attentive if I went into it not knowing what they were going to play.

Could anyone describe what the glow-in-the-dark logo was on the floor of the stage? Did anyone notice if Danny hit his gong? I saw it swinging at one point like he just hit it but I didn’t hear it.

To the girl from Kentucky to the right of me, I hope you enjoyed your first Tool show! To the guy in Row Q, Seat 302, with the “Murphy’s Law” or whatever shirt it was you had on, you can lick my sweaty toolsack. This guy was like “Play the F-ing Pot, I’m gonna freak out if they play The Pot!” all psycho, and had other swear-laden random outbursts. Control yourself. I didn’t let it bother me too much. Once again, I want to thank the guy I got my ticket from, it would not have been possible without you! Happy Graduation! This show was one fine gift, and an experience you and I will never forget.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Last edited by bozobuttz; 05-14-2006 at 11:19 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #55
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozobuttz
Could anyone describe what the glow-in-the-dark logo was on the floor of the stage? Did anyone notice if Danny hit his gong? I saw it swinging at one point like he just hit it but I didn’t hear it.

yes i do remember him playing it. i was in a continuos daze so i cannot recall when. possibly when justin and adam were doing the feedback before sober.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 12:26 PM   #56
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustifarian00
Long time listener, First time caller. Love you, loved the show.

My tickets were in the 1st Balcony row I seat 501, shoot me a message if you were near.

Rustifarian
balcony 1 row E 505, u probably saw my head....
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 12:33 PM   #57
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Maynard also said something along the lines of, "Sorry again if I sound hoarse. The only way to fix a sore throat is to not tour and not sing and thats not an option."

Honestly, I couldn't even tell he was sick with his vocals. He held back and sang some parts a little more subdued than usual but it still sounded top notch. Glad you all enjoy the show as much as I did. :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #58
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1657

Compliments:
amazing show!! i was in awe.. especially being the first group of people ever to hear right in two live which is a song that will stand the test of time, the drums on this song were so amazing.. sure i got pumped up for 46&2s drums but wow.. the harder schism really kicked ass, so did jambi it was hard as hell!! lateralus really suprised me when it came on because i knew that they took out the pot and the patient and replaced it with one song.. maybe because they were running late.. but the way i look at it we got a special treat instead (right in two) i could type forever on compliments they are all the same as yours basically..

Complaints:
my complaints might differ alot from others because i was last row. dont get me wrong i dig the intimate setting and all, but tool was just too huge of a band for that small of place. I dont know if it was because i was last row (that shouldnt matter though with an under 4,000 seat capacity) , but i couldnt hear maynard for shit, maybe because he was sick? o well it just made everyone else stand out even more.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #59

Bincount™: 3

I don't even know where to begin. I'll start by stating that I split a Sweetart (with a drop of liquid) with a friend about an hour before the show. I figured half a drop would only "enhance" the experience. Our seats were in the First lower box on the right side. We got there at 7:30 and took our seats, which were fucking outrageous! Before the show it almost sounded like someone was tuning in each different freq on all speakers. I was starting to trip and that bass was rattling through me. My water I had sitting on the ledge looked like that one in Jurrasic Park, rippling up and looking just like a clear record spinning. I don't know what music they were playing before the show, but it sounded like some Lustmord mix. Then, they cut to "evil joe". That got me all excited, because I know the band is next.

Out walked Justin, the crowd goes wild. Adam walks out, crowd still going crazy. The both start playing LK and shortly Danny's giant self walks out. Again, crowd noise fights with speakers for authority. Danny starts playing, now Maynard comes out. I just realized that I have been on the awkward clang of an upward rollercoaster, and Maynard starts moving like a robot, pulls the CB from his megaphone and begins....
The rest, I really can't give you a play by play. Everything sort of started melting together at that point. All of the music seemed to blend from song to song. For a short time I felt like Danny was a puppet master, and those drums were his strings pulling on maynard the puppet. In a lot of instances I caught Maynard seemingly 'feeding' off of the drums. Then it switched to Justin pulling MJ's strings. Maynard would take back control and looked to be shifting gears on a rig. Watching Justin rock back and forth and stomp in rhythm with Danny was mesmerizing. It felt like more than audio was coming from Justin's instrument. Like it was boomerang and the notes were being thrown out into the air. The sound seemed to be flying around the room in a circular pattern, mindblowing. I COULDN'T stand. Wouldn't stand. It never occured for me to try. I loved the visuals. From my view MJ was standing perfectly in between the two screens. It felt like it meant something at the time. I'm sure he wasn't, but with the angle he was looking out, and the sunglasses he had on, I thought he was singing to me. For the first few songs, I couldn't even move. I really felt as if Maynard saw me out there in that box and noticed that I wasn't moving and only watching wide-eyed. It seemed to me that he was doing it to fuck with me. Testing my decision to trip on that fateful night. The last three songs really drew me in. I forgot the exact setlist (for my own good) and thought each song was a walkout song. All of them beat me into the back of my seat so much that, there may still be an imprint in it today.

I'm pretty sure Danny hit the gong in Sober. I remember watching him closely at the time that he turns and hit it. Also, on the intro to sober (I think) Danny was speaking into a mic. I could hear him and see his lips moving. I just couldn't make it out. I never knew Danny had vocals on anything. Maynard changed the lyrics to Schism (i think) to "cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of destruction" or maybe something else close, but I know I heard destruction instead of compassion. Adam had his shoes on the whole show. I managed to sneak a cam-corder in, but big brother wouldn't get away. Anyone with audio from this show, please PM it to me. Out of the five concerts I've been to including The Tabernacle, Atlanta May 15, 2001, this one blows the others out of the water, no question. Psychedelics enhance the hell out of TOOL (why didn't someone tell me?).

Did you see someone tripping at the show?

gf
Old 05-14-2006, 01:09 PM   #60
Level 2 - Poster

WOW all i can say is WOW. i had the best night of my life probably.....

i went down to the show by myself with 80 dollars and i was hoping to maybe get a ticket for face value or sneak in. i got there about 6 and i tried my hardest but could not find a ticket for 80 dollars or i couldnt find a good place to sneak in. its about 8:30 and i could hear them playing stinkfist from outside and im just standing there talking to another dude who didnt get in when a guy who works for the band comes up to me and this dude. he says in his australian accent " do you guys have tickets" i say no and after i say no he hands me an envelope with two ORCH E seats 406 and and 407. and inside the envelope was a backstage pass...the triangle one that said guest on it. i take one and the backstage pass and give the other ticket to this i guy i was talking to. so i get into the show and enjoyed the shit out of it..i was in total shock still and when i walked in they just started 46 and 2. i walking down to my seat screaming out the lyrics and i couldnt believe that this shit just happened to me. this shit never happens to me. i feel sorry for the people who paid 225 for a ticket from the scalpers because i guess this tour manager guy with an australian accent gave out a good amout of tickets for free. anyways, it was a great show all and all...its my second tool show and the new material is phenomenal live. right in two was fucking awesome. the little jam thing before vicarious i thought danny was gonna bust out ticks and leeches but i knew from the past setlists that it was gonna probably be vicarious which it was.
so the concert ends and i have the backstage pass and im gonna use it. i go back into the auditorium and a guy asks me "who do you know from the band" and i say "danny." he says "how do you know him" to which i reply "hey man, i dont know anyone from the band. i got this backstage pass outside with my ticket and i was just hoping to meet the band" he says he has to talk to his boss because the after show party was only for friends and family of the band. so he takes me backstage, up some stairs into this little room. i talk to him for a little bit and he tells me hes from texas and he gives me a setlist from the show. he leaves for a second to see if theres any chance i can get backstage and meet the band....when he comes back he says "sorry dude, i cant let you backstage because youre not friends or family and its strictly for friends and family." i totally understood and after getting in for free there is no way i could be dissappointed. so im walking out to leave the building and i see the australian guy in a small room and i yell " hey man thanks a lot. i appreciate what you did for me so much" and he goes "come here a second, i want you to meet someone" i walk towards this room and when i turn the corner standing there is ADAM JONES. i was in complete awe. he says to me "hope you enjoyed the show, sorry if maynard didnt sound good, hes sick" i said "it sounded awesome. thank you for letting me get to see you." then i tell him how i tried to get tickets and it sold out in 10 seconds and adam tells me that when he was younger he wanted to see a van halen show at rosemont and it sold out in 1 minute so he understood what it was like to be a little disappointed. i asked if the band was coming back and he said they will be back in august sometime after they tour japan and will be playing a bigger venue. i said "thats awesome i will for sure be there." after about three minutes of talking to adam i had to leave and i shook his hand and said thanks again for the great show. he then said "see you in the fall" and i replied "you bet" and then i walked out of the theatre and just still could not believe i was just talking to adam. and i knew none of my friends were gonna believe me.
all and all, i go down there with no ticket and just a positive attitude and i end up meeting adam and sitting about tenth row adam's side all for free( except the parking i paid for which was only 10 bucks,not bad for downtown.) i cant wait to see them again
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #61
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef_hop
2006/05/04 - Chicago, IL- Auditorium Theatre

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SETLIST --

Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

Balcony 1, Row E, Seats 203, 204
$175 per ticket (I bought two)
$10 for two beers
$25 parking

Amazing show ... no Patient or Pot, but Right in Two!

oh, and Maynard said he was sick like every time he is Chicago.

Holy shit! Were you next to a guy in a white hoodie that was headbanging the whole time? That was my friend. I was next to him.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 01:30 PM   #62
Level 3 - Talker

Maynard seemed sick so he toned down quite a bit. I mean, sometimes you could barely hear the vocals. For me Latelarus was probably the best song of the whole show. Other then that, everything was great but somehow seeing them on the 2002 tour felt much better.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 01:59 PM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

my first live tool experience was just as i knew it would be....

met up with some fellow toolarmy members before the show.....a med student opened his home to a virtual bunch of strangers.....it was really a cool mix of ppl there

we were about as far away from the stage as we could get (front row of the gallery)
yet we had a really trippy, cool vantage point of the stage.....very 'toolish'
hanging over the crowd looking down into danny's kit as he played

unfortunately we couldn't hear much of what maynard said between songs.....except 'chicago' and that he had a sore throat.......the rest was inaudible

and as expected the show itself was incredible
the very few mistakes i heard just made it feel more intimate
seeing them as the imperfect humans they are

'right in two' was a nice surprise....though they didn't play 'the pot' (maybe due to maynards throat/voice?)
i had to laff when all four came out on stage.....sat on maynards platform kicking their legs like little kids.....soaking it all in
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #64
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullyFoyle
I don't even know where to begin. I'll start by stating that I split a Sweetart (with a drop of liquid) with a friend about an hour before the show. I figured half a drop would only "enhance" the experience. Our seats were in the First lower box on the right side. We got there at 7:30 and took our seats, which were fucking outrageous! Before the show it almost sounded like someone was tuning in each different freq on all speakers. I was starting to trip and that bass was rattling through me. My water I had sitting on the ledge looked like that one in Jurrasic Park, rippling up and looking just like a clear record spinning. I don't know what music they were playing before the show, but it sounded like some Lustmord mix. Then, they cut to "evil joe". That got me all excited, because I know the band is next.

Out walked Justin, the crowd goes wild. Adam walks out, crowd still going crazy. The both start playing LK and shortly Danny's giant self walks out. Again, crowd noise fights with speakers for authority. Danny starts playing, now Maynard comes out. I just realized that I have been on the awkward clang of an upward rollercoaster, and Maynard starts moving like a robot, pulls the CB from his megaphone and begins....
The rest, I really can't give you a play by play. Everything sort of started melting together at that point. All of the music seemed to blend from song to song. For a short time I felt like Danny was a puppet master, and those drums were his strings pulling on maynard the puppet. In a lot of instances I caught Maynard seemingly 'feeding' off of the drums. Then it switched to Justin pulling MJ's strings. Maynard would take back control and looked to be shifting gears on a rig. Watching Justin rock back and forth and stomp in rhythm with Danny was mesmerizing. It felt like more than audio was coming from Justin's instrument. Like it was boomerang and the notes were being thrown out into the air. The sound seemed to be flying around the room in a circular pattern, mindblowing. I COULDN'T stand. Wouldn't stand. It never occured for me to try. I loved the visuals. From my view MJ was standing perfectly in between the two screens. It felt like it meant something at the time. I'm sure he wasn't, but with the angle he was looking out, and the sunglasses he had on, I thought he was singing to me. For the first few songs, I couldn't even move. I really felt as if Maynard saw me out there in that box and noticed that I wasn't moving and only watching wide-eyed. It seemed to me that he was doing it to fuck with me. Testing my decision to trip on that fateful night. The last three songs really drew me in. I forgot the exact setlist (for my own good) and thought each song was a walkout song. All of them beat me into the back of my seat so much that, there may still be an imprint in it today.

I'm pretty sure Danny hit the gong in Sober. I remember watching him closely at the time that he turns and hit it. Also, on the intro to sober (I think) Danny was speaking into a mic. I could hear him and see his lips moving. I just couldn't make it out. I never knew Danny had vocals on anything. Maynard changed the lyrics to Schism (i think) to "cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of destruction" or maybe something else close, but I know I heard destruction instead of compassion. Adam had his shoes on the whole show. I managed to sneak a cam-corder in, but big brother wouldn't get away. Anyone with audio from this show, please PM it to me. Out of the five concerts I've been to including The Tabernacle, Atlanta May 15, 2001, this one blows the others out of the water, no question. Psychedelics enhance the hell out of TOOL (why didn't someone tell me?).

gf
I remember you. Me and my girlfriend were sitting with you and your friend at the bar across the street from the theatre. We ran into each other right after the show... were you able to make out any of what MJK was saying other that that he was sick? it seems like he said a bit more than that but to us it was boomy and muffled.

Last edited by lurkerguy; 05-14-2006 at 03:00 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #65
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I got downtown on the Stevenson without any traffic, but I did go past a completely wrecked ’06 Mustang GT near the Lake Shore Drive ramp. It looked like some kids going to their prom; I would guess they were o.k.
i saw that too! i rev'd at them with my well-exhausted 00GT :p

looked like a roush GT too :(
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 03:55 PM   #66
Level 3 - Talker

This was my first tool show , and i am still in fucking awe. I cant beleive how amazing it was , it was a spiritual event man. we got gallery tickets row E and we could see fine
i still can process that i was actually there it was so sur real fuckin tool man
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 1

After sharing the product of a somewhat last-minute decision to “smoke the second one” with our new befriendees in line, we were finally in. As I was being frisked, I realized how ridiculous and unintentionally homoerotic the process of frisking really is. The pot started kicking in shortly after this mind-altering realization. Fifteen minutes of stumbling around later, we were standing in front of the entrance to Balcony 1. I allowed myself a glimpse inside. It was really odd seeing mohawks, alex grey prints, tattoos, piercings and even a pair of fake tits here and there surrounded by frescos from the baroque period. The atmosphere in the theatre must have been as alien to the theatre itself as it was to me. Three and a half years is a long stretch of time. I see the old songs in a different light now, as my interpretation continues to evolve with each encounter. The new songs are still fresh and crisp. I can hear them clearly after long hours of familiarization, which begun just days ago. They are like juveniles running around in my head, full of energy, while the classics try to show them the way, settle them down in all the right spots. Baaaaaa. The yelping of the sheep snaps me out of the temporary philosophical euphoria and I go down like a ton of bricks. Yes, I have to share this experience with a bunch of dimwits. I recall the time when the entire united center was repeating after Maynard, “…don’t repeat what others say…”. This reminds me, I have to take a piss…

Finding my seat presented no major challenge, other than trying not to miss a step on the way down due to the never-ending stare game with the stage. The stage eventually won. After settling in, I started looking around, examining the audience. Why are these people here? What do they want? Will they be disappointed? When will they forget about all of this? Am I the only one asking these questions? Probably not. All I know is that we came here with similar intentions. The motivation, the path, the result and the process are unique to everyone present, but the intentions are the same. Uneasiness began to fade as a certain sense of unity was now slowly creeping in. The grudge against humanity/stupidity has been lifted and I am now ready to receive TOOL.

As anticipated, the opener was the electrifying Lost keys, Rosetta stoned. It overwhelmed, picked me up and threw me down, did all sorts of nasty things to my mind while my body couldn’t help but remain motionless. I was stunned and amazed. It almost brought me to tears. After the song came to an end, Maynard notified the audience that he has gotten sick. It showed, but I didn’t mind at all. I thought the sickness brought a very human-like vulnerability to the performance, while adding to the overall sensation of sadness of 10,000 days, the album. He followed that announcement up with a couple of jokes that I couldn’t hear over the chants, screams and various other noises coming from all directions. Honestly, the loudest audience I have ever seen.

The extended version of Stinkfist took me to that familiar place so I could get comfortable and prepare for what’s to come. God, it was like watching a nuclear weapon explode from just 50 feet away. Eventually, I gave up and let the music do whatever it pleased with me.

At the end of it all, I realized that such abstract ideas as “good” or “bad” need not apply when it comes to a TOOL show. Like anything else that grandiose, it is nothing more than just a ripple in space and time. However, I cannot help but feel privileged to be a witness to it all and feel its presence in my concept of reality.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:43 PM   #68
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Much like the other fans who have seen them several times on previous tours, I thought this show was OK. From where I was (balcony 1, row X), you could hear Maynard was struggling a bit. Adam was a bit off in terms of timing. Still seems like they are ironing out the kinks from almost 4 years of off-time. Justin and Danny just seemed like musical scientists...absolute perfection! Regardless, this is the best band you can see, and I would suggest everyone to catch a show! It was well worth the ticket price, and I will be there when they come back in the fall (after Maynard picks his grapes!).
Old 05-14-2006, 05:11 PM   #69
Level 3 - Talker

3rd show...

I believe Maynards quote was "Chicago..(crowd cheers)...seems like I get sick every time I come here. Maybe I'm alergic. Seeing some smiling faces might help heal me"

I was in 1balcony row V all the way to stage right. Crowd was awesome. It was not loud at all where I was, but the mix seemed perfect. Zero problems hearing the vocals like so many others seemed to, but when Maynard was talking it was hard to hear. Seemed like everybody tried to quiet down so they could hear what he was saying.

Highlight of the show for me was Right in Two. I expected the "PLAY F-ING PRISON SEX" fans to get bored and sit down, but it seemed like everybody around me was singing along. It felt so cool to be surrounded by people all thinking about what an f-ed up world we live in...or maybe it was just me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #70

Did anyone get any photos to post? Still looking for that audio.... I've got memories to protect here!

gf
Old 05-14-2006, 06:52 PM   #71
zac
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I was in 1st balcony, seats 403-404, anyone around there? Great view, I love that theater.[/QUOTE]

I was in 1st balcony, seats 404-405 Row G so I was somewhere near you.
Loved the show, was my 3rd and my friends 1st so it was a good place for him to get to see them for the first time i think.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #72

I was in row R. Perfect sound and seats but I wouldn't have wanted to be more than 5 rows behind me, from there on up its a little too contained under the second balcony.

Last edited by theprosperone; 05-14-2006 at 06:57 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #73
Level 1 - Lurker

Finally got my head back on straight after last night ORCH ROW T just off center, Rosetta Stoned was like a kick in the freakin face from Maynards cowboy boot. RIGHT IN TWO was amazing and still cant believe they played it after seeing the other set lists from previous shows didnt think they would but glad they decided to unveil it in CHICAGO.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #74
Level 1 - Lurker

4 th row pit Tool Tickets : (Graduation present) 66.66
Gettin memory card stole by security guard: 60 bucks
2 tshirts and a poster: 105.00
Meeting danny & justin after the show: PRICELESS
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 07:42 PM   #75
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullyFoyle

gf
Danny definitely hit the gong during Sober. I was in the 5th row and at first I thought he dropped his drum stick as he was fumbling a bit, and then he hit the gong. Does he hit the gong near the end of Lateralus too? I didn't notice.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #76
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deffinatezero
4 th row pit Tool Tickets : (Graduation present) 66.66
Gettin memory card stole by security guard: 60 bucks
2 tshirts and a poster: 105.00
Meeting danny & justin after the show: PRICELESS
Did you sell me your extra ticket? I had the sign. I can tell you had a great time. How'd you get to meet the Tool gods?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #77
Level 1 - Lurker

Orch Row GG seat 201
been a fan since 94 but to finally see TooL in person.....Surreal....of course Maynards voice was a bit muffled, but it showed that he in fact is a human. of all the shows I've ever been to, this crowd was the most chilled, and that is what I was hoping for, cuz we were here for one thing, not to mosh, slam dance, push or shove each other, but to see the 4 greatest musicians ever preform for us as a whole (during the intermission when they were sitting on maynards stand, I was at tears just seeing the whole crowd cheering and seeing them take it all in. They're back, and they knew it) this really was the best show to see TooL for the first time ever....Thank you guys for making the best of one Unknown fans Night
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 08:30 PM   #78
Level 1 - Lurker

Third show that that ive seen, and best yet. Hope the visuals are more complex in the fall. 1st balcony 3row 606 great place. from where i was sitting i couldn't find a seat in the house that was emtpy or had obstructed view of the show. That place is amazing, any band would sound great in there, but tool really showed chicago how to rock the roosevelt theatre. great set list - couldnt of been better, everything but a couple off 10000days - and lost my 46&2 virginity(all in one night).
nothing but the best
just as expected!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 09:11 PM   #80
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Did you sell me your extra ticket? I had the sign. I can tell you had a great time. How'd you get to meet the Tool gods?
Yeah we did seel lthe extra ticket to you...me and my friend did.. .hope you had a great show man.. mine was amazing

Stood by their semi for two hours in the cold... it was all worth it
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: