opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 01. The Grudge
User Name
Password
Old 12-24-2002, 07:28 PM   #41
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
I think its definitely possible. The question of whether he sometimes "uses" reverbs and equipment to extend the length of time its going on is questionable. I personally dont care, i love listening to it either way!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 09:07 AM   #42
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
On august 23 buffalo he went about 25 seconds, iwas in the front row, i could se his mouth close at about 25 seconds. But regardless of whether he screams the whole time or not or whether he sues reverb or whatever, its the sound that comes that counts. i think that 2 years of touring would have a tough effect on one's voice, and if maynard uses a little reverb, thats fine by me.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:11 PM   #43
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 75
Circular Breathing

I've heard somewhere that Maynard knows circular breathing (for those whom do not know what that is, he can still sing while taking in a breath of air)...it is possible that he knows that, and it is possible that he uses technology to help extend his scream/yell/whatever you desire to call it. But I asked my friend at the Nov. 19 Phoenix show, to time Maynard when I knew that part was coming up. When he was done, my friend shouted back to me "25 seconds!"

Whether or not Maynard was using the assistance of delay or reverb or any other form of voice tweaking, is beyond me - I was too far away to see his mouth. I do believe Maynard knows how to do circular breathing, and that is what helps him hold those long notes.

..But that's just my opinion.

- Cheers, the bringer of basses.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:33 PM   #44
Level 4 - Thinker

I really dont know if it was for the whole 30 secs, but he does scream
Old 01-12-2003, 12:32 AM   #45
Drug Crazed Grindfreak

Bincount™: 5716
The one show I have been too he would have screamed for about 20 seconds.

I have tried it myself, the best I can do is about 15 seconds...
Old 01-15-2003, 06:26 PM   #46
Level 2 - Poster

Inward Singing

Well when I do this I usualy screw trying to match his voice for the shout and just give it my all. At this point in time I can get close to the albumn length (but Maynard beats me every time (I havent really precisely timed myself vs. the redording)
I tried the upside down parabola technique and that seemed to extend my voice a little longer. If this works for him why dont you think he uses it for Judith? I havent been gifted to see APC live but any of the recordings ive seen he hasnt done it.
And as for the Inward/circular singing Ive been trying to do that for a a while, and I cant seem to get my vocal cords to work backwards, It comes out all garbled and raspy. And Im not 100% positive but I think my many attempts actually hurt me. I was making some more attempts to inward sing and I arrived at school and I felt some pain in my lungs. About 5 minutes into my lunch period (5th which is around 12) Im walking in and suddenly I stop and gasp because of the excruciating pain in my chest. I couldnt breathe at all. A friend told me afterwards that she thought I was going to pass out. Im not completely sure if it was the circular singing attempts that caused it but I really think 14 is a little young for a heart attack. Who knows it could just be some freak happening.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:16 PM   #47
Level 2 - Poster

Yes,
I was blessed to hear the yell twice in Sacramento during the La Te Ra Lus tour.
Maynard does alter the length, and does constrict the throat to decrease the amount of breath, thus to stretch the breath out and vocalize longer.

I am also under the impression that the yell could be a word -
"Go!" as in let go. When I sing along, phlegm welcomed, I begin the yell with the word "go" and find that I can hold about twenty of the approximately thirty seconds.

At the second Sacramento concert, Maynard also performed Ticks & Leeches...
he hit every scream there, as well.
Also, the singing/screaming during the extended bridge was much, much louder than the album version...it was a part of the song.

The Huntsman
Old 01-25-2003, 10:15 AM   #48
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: thats awasome

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos T.
thats cool ,i cant wait to get that live dvd on my hands is just that i live in puerto rico and we dont get good bands to come. im gonna see Kittie on deevember 21 second concert of my life first one was NFX here in puerto rico..well anyways who cares thanks for answering my quiestion.

yeah dude.. tool hit toronto twice on the lateralus tour (they headlined 'edgefest' and then they cam with meshugguh.. and luckily i had a people around me who were nice enough to accommodate my moneylessness.... the grudge scream is very real and very controlled, yet out of hand...
and kittie is from the city i now live in... don't get me started on them... i've been maintaining my own little grudge... maybe i'm just jealous

Quote:
Originally posted by bringerofbasses

I've heard somewhere that Maynard knows circular breathing (for those whom do not know what that is, he can still sing while taking in a breath of air

circlebreathing doesn't work for vocals... it's for wind instruments.. that's how kenny g can play scales for like 45 minutes without rests...
what you do is let your cheeks puff out and close off your mouth at your throat (as you play, while it's full of air)... then as you force the air into the mouthpiece by compressing your cheeks and sorta using your tongue while playing, you inhale through your nose and you're ready to kenny-g it up

Last edited by teknolojik; 01-25-2003 at 10:19 AM..
Old 01-25-2003, 10:28 AM   #49
Lord Cronos of Vermiculum

Bincount™: 6507
I was under the Impression that the scream was the word Let, but extended. It sounds like he starts with an L accent. But, that could just be because of the flick of the tongue when he's about to open his mouth and scream. Then he continues the word go in his whispers and keeps saying Let Go, softly, and builts it up to the final, LET GO!

This could be, now I just think it's a crucial part of the emotion of the song. Sometimes you just feel like you want to scream when you're angry at someone.

I've always thought some of those words in the interlude/bridge of Ticks & Leeches were suppose to be in the lyrics sheet, some of them are very audible.

Nowhere does it say Maynard sent THOSE lyrics to tdn. The fact that there's a "?" mark in the lyrics proves this theory. It's just fans telling us what Maynard's saying. They just can't figure out a few of them. Just like with Harry Manback.

Also you can do inward breathing for whistling too. I can whistle a good tune without breathing if I did that. But, really sometimes it's hard because your throat dries, and you still gotta wet your lips, and the tone may be hard to maintain breathing in.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:56 AM   #50
Level 4 - Thinker

I agree with huntsman, it sounds more like go then anything else, if it is "go" then it couldnt possibly be falsetto or any half clossed wind-pipe cheese simply because you can only make the "g" sound with your real voice, but however it is possible to half close your wind-pipes half way through the scream/yell to prolong it a bit more and this is what I think he does.
but then again he could be just saying ahhhhhh
Old 02-04-2003, 10:43 PM   #51
Level 3 - Talker

Re: Does Maynard screams this long live?

Maynard hits all of the screams live, like 'good-bye' in eulogy and the scream in question. He has a certain qualit to his voice that isn't done justice on the cd's, anyone who has heard him live would agree that he sounds even better live than on the cds as unbeliveable as that may seem. The next time you get a chance to see tool live do whatever it takes to go to the show.

Quote:
Im just curious if Maynards does the 30 second scream in the grudge live....anyone knows?
Old 02-05-2003, 05:15 AM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

The live addition to 'Undertow'--"euphoria" scream is my personal favourite. Pure as hell.
He does apply reverb and echo to the scream in the Grudge BTW...the fade at the end isnt his voice necessarily 'dieing down' its the effect(s) mixing down from the mic channel.

He went nuts in Tacoma (Seattle) back in fall 2001 with the echo, ie: applying so much echo to calls like 'wear the grudge like a crown' that he was quietly laughing to himself. Effects pedals=good times.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:48 PM   #53
Level 3 - Talker

yes maynard does scream for about 30sec, i have witnessed him twice and it was amazing, EVERYONE puts up the metal finger(the indi and te pinki) and scream with him in the auckland concert i went to the last time i saw tool live.
maynard have six lungs hidden somewhere....
Old 02-13-2003, 07:50 PM   #54
Level 2 - Poster

He held it for quite some time at the VA show i went to, it was insane, reverb or none. All the people in the seats around me, and myself, were all screaming at the top of our lungs with him, it was; beyond words. The whole feel of that experience was one of the, if not the best thing i've ever felt in my entire life, and i am so thankful to have shared that with someone I love. Thankyou Allison.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:54 PM   #55
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Jizzlobber
When I saw Tool live here in Brisbane he just screamed half of the album version. No complaints cause it still sounded just like the real thing. There’s just one thing all of you are forgetting. Some are saying you can perform this scream but are you 5ft1
U ARE FUCKING STUPID! MAYNARD IS 5FT 7', NOT 5FT 1'
Old 02-14-2003, 06:15 PM   #56
Level 2 - Poster

Please, use proper grammar...and I dont think he thought Maynard was 5FT 1" in the first place.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:58 PM   #57
Level 7 - Loquacious

All depends on how close you are to the mic, you can make the same sound but quietly, put the mic closer to your mouth and voila, it sounds the same. Its not hard, I can do that myself.
Still not SURE he does that, cos he does seem to be putting a lot of effort into it... could be showmanship though, but either way, its good shit.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:36 PM   #58
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent
Bloody hell.....he actually does it live.....how in the hell....uhh........the first time I see Tool live, I -need- to hear this.
Maynard is one hellofa screamer. I attempted to scream as long and as loud as him but... NO!
Old 02-22-2003, 02:06 PM   #59

Bincount™: 3
Scream

Just thought id give my two cents on the scream.

Firstly for everyone whos been estimiating, its 23.5 seconds on the cd... however i feel the most accurate way of judging it live is to listen to the guitar/drums that repeat a measure of 4 times while hes screaming.

I have about 60 shows on cd from the Lateralus era, so ive heard about 60 different renditions of the Grudge itself.
On a "normal" night, maynard seems to give a 3/4 scream.... not quite the full one, but still a huge task. Half screams or none at all are usully reserved for nights when he is sick or having voice problems. Full screams are rare, but he does hold it a little extra every one in awhile

Now, i dont know if theres a surefire way of telling if thats natural or mechanicly assissted.... After seeing Tool live 6 times since 2001, I prefer to think its all done by Maynard. Anybody who gets a good look at him whiile hes doing it can see, hes screaming the whole time, and ive never seen him "stop" screaming into the mic and still heard it. Also on many of my cds it sounds like hes "running out of scream" at the end of it, just as it does on he studio cd.

Only a select few know the truth on it, but man hes got one set of lungs! This scream, the good-bye on Eulogy, The one he used to do Third eye (that he used electronics on in 2002)....Inhuman voice!!!
Old 03-13-2003, 10:06 PM   #60
On Probation

Bincount™: 177

Quote:
Im just curious if Maynards does the 30 second scream in the grudge live....anyone knows?
He didn't at the show I was at. It was more of a 15 second scream.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:08 PM   #61
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 51
YUP HE DOES

Yes i have seen Tool 2 times (both amazing shows by the way) and he does scream for a long time
Old 03-23-2003, 06:46 PM   #62
Level 4 - Thinker

I have no doubt Maynard can sing it.

However, I'm a bit skeptical if he can do such a scream everynight on tour. It would hurt his voice way too much.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:04 AM   #63
Level 2 - Poster

Maynard is a wonderful singer and all, but he uses a buttload of delay and pure volume compression live. This means that he can 1)scream for 10 seconds and have it sound like 30 2) keep screaming and have it loop so much that it sounds like 4 of him and you would barely be able to tell if he stopped screaming took another breath and then started again 3) could breath harshly and make it sound like a scream.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:45 PM   #64
Banned.

I have keep up from time to time

However I really don't sing all as much as I soon plan too, but I have at one point been able to keep up with the length. I quit smoking weed so maybe that will help. The other little 2 ( him and his killing self, can't say murder cause we are all murders) can kiss my ass. So I have no dought that Maynard can do this. Some say we don't really need to breathe to live. I say much Yoga.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:29 AM   #65
Level 7 - Loquacious

In any live bootleg of the song, you can hear the effect loop. It doesn't mean he can't do it, but its there just in case.

The worst is in the salival version of pushit...
Old 04-28-2003, 01:39 PM   #66

yea... its just like Tenacious D... Inward Singing...

Thats one reply in the bank.. Next reply...
Old 05-02-2003, 09:15 PM   #67
Level 4 - Thinker

which part of Pushit are you talking about?

I've definitely heard a shitload of delay and reverb on versions of You Lied
and a few other songs there was at least some delay at the end of a long scream and I think sometimes he forgets about it or goes longer than he had planned on because a few versions of Crawl Away the delay of the scream overlaps the "this is love"

and for the people that are claiming 30-40 sec screams on the Grudge
they need a stopwatch
simply counting is not accurate

the CD version is only about 24 seconds long
I 've seen it live 3 times and only one time was it noticebly shorter, but I never bothered counting
Old 05-06-2003, 11:46 AM   #68
Level 2 - Poster

Yeah i think the people claiming a 30-40 second scream are the same fools claiming that Tool played a 15-20 minute version of Triad.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:01 AM   #69
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

Quote:
he actually does it...remarkable huh...god the man has lungs like a fish or something.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:02 AM   #70
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801
Quote:
Originally posted by chazbot
Yeah i think the people claiming a 30-40 second scream are the same fools claiming that Tool played a 15-20 minute version of Triad.
actaully the halloween show in NYC version of Triad was mad ass long i am sure over 15 minutes
Old 05-13-2003, 11:59 AM   #71
Banned

40 seconds is fucking amazing i tried to do it and i got to like 20 seconds and fell over.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:02 PM   #72
Level 2 - Poster

Yes in deed!!!
and OOOH does he do it!
haven't been the same since

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: