Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 02. Jambi
User Name
Password
Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
05-29-2006, 01:27 PM

I used to just think this was an alright song. But It really blew me away there now. Especially the end of the talk box solo. And i love at the end how Adam plays what maynard is singing. This song owns.

I know that if you listen to anything enough you'll eventually like it(stockholm syndrome_, but I think it's different with Tool. Because when you start to like it, it gets better with each listen. You dig deeper in, you can really sink your teeth into this album and get alot out of it. No-one makes albums like this anymore.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200
This song just clicked.

I used to just think this was an alright song. But It really blew me away there now. Especially the end of the talk box solo. And i love at the end how Adam plays what maynard is singing. This song owns.

I know that if you listen to anything enough you'll eventually like it(stockholm syndrome_, but I think it's different with Tool. Because when you start to like it, it gets better with each listen. You dig deeper in, you can really sink your teeth into this album and get alot out of it. No-one makes albums like this anymore.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
mike09's Avatar mike09
05-29-2006, 01:30 PM

glad to hear you came around
Old 05-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 664
Re: This song just clicked.

glad to hear you came around
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
05-29-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveboat Captain
No-one makes albums like this anymore.
The sad, pitiful truth.
But I'll pull through
Old 05-29-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

Quote:
No-one makes albums like this anymore.
The sad, pitiful truth.
But I'll pull through
Tachyon
05-29-2006, 02:43 PM

Haha, in the live version on http://www.distortiononline.com/content/index2.html Adam is to early around 1:40. Sorry I was bored, this is not a burn at the song just something I noticed. Alright, I will go to bed now.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Haha, in the live version on http://www.distortiononline.com/content/index2.html Adam is to early around 1:40. Sorry I was bored, this is not a burn at the song just something I noticed. Alright, I will go to bed now.
05-29-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:

I haven't quite got it yet. I like the song, but I don't love it. Need to listen to it more I guess :)
Old 05-29-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15

Quote:

I haven't quite got it yet. I like the song, but I don't love it. Need to listen to it more I guess :)
05-29-2006, 03:14 PM

Man i love the song too. It was the first song on the album to really take hold of me and get me caught up in all the meaing and imagery, which i still havnet totally got!
It remined my why i love TOOL and made me fall in love with the album, every song is pretty epic and i think it could well be the "great work".

Thanks for starting a thread about the love of the music, after all thats whats importnat isnt it? not how many syllables we hear orwhat colour underwear Maynard was wearing whilst he was recording it (I havent seen that thread yet but theres a chance it could exist, haha). Anyway, lets have more posts like this, about the love and not the hate.

I thankyou, goodnight

(ANY UK RESIDENTS i have a standing ticket for tool at hammersith apollo (london) for the 14th of june, its a wednesday, due to reasons beyond my total control i fear i can no longer go, anybidy care to purchase it off of me?)
Old 05-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11

Man i love the song too. It was the first song on the album to really take hold of me and get me caught up in all the meaing and imagery, which i still havnet totally got!
It remined my why i love TOOL and made me fall in love with the album, every song is pretty epic and i think it could well be the "great work".

Thanks for starting a thread about the love of the music, after all thats whats importnat isnt it? not how many syllables we hear orwhat colour underwear Maynard was wearing whilst he was recording it (I havent seen that thread yet but theres a chance it could exist, haha). Anyway, lets have more posts like this, about the love and not the hate.

I thankyou, goodnight

(ANY UK RESIDENTS i have a standing ticket for tool at hammersith apollo (london) for the 14th of june, its a wednesday, due to reasons beyond my total control i fear i can no longer go, anybidy care to purchase it off of me?)
05-29-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
The sad, pitiful truth.
MARS VOLTA makes albums like that. they grow on you. and you dig deeper and find new layers to peel away and enjoy.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:22 PM   #7

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
The sad, pitiful truth.
MARS VOLTA makes albums like that. they grow on you. and you dig deeper and find new layers to peel away and enjoy.
05-30-2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses
Aint that the fucking truth. There ARE other such bands around... just a great few
Old 05-30-2006, 12:16 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

Quote:
Aint that the fucking truth. There ARE other such bands around... just a great few
Tachyon
05-30-2006, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Which album of The Mars Volta is the most accesible for a Tool-fan?? I've seen them once and I liked what I heared but I couldn't remember one bit of what they played.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:52 AM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Which album of The Mars Volta is the most accesible for a Tool-fan?? I've seen them once and I liked what I heared but I couldn't remember one bit of what they played.
05-30-2006, 07:10 AM

OK, guys.

There are hundreds and hundreds of great bands making great albums. What the hell.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:10 AM   #10
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

OK, guys.

There are hundreds and hundreds of great bands making great albums. What the hell.
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
05-30-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion
OK, guys.

agreed
Old 05-30-2006, 09:58 AM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion
OK, guys.

agreed
PriceisRight's Avatar PriceisRight
05-30-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:

SO DOES SIMPLE PLAN!!!!

*kill me* :P
Old 05-30-2006, 10:03 AM   #12

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

SO DOES SIMPLE PLAN!!!!

*kill me* :P
05-30-2006, 10:10 AM

I fail to see how the Stockholm Syndrome applies.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:10 AM   #13
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3796

I fail to see how the Stockholm Syndrome applies.
Ming's Avatar Ming
05-30-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozeley
I totally love it. I think it's actually my favorite of the moment.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:42 AM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozeley
I totally love it. I think it's actually my favorite of the moment.
05-30-2006, 11:39 AM

sadly, your reaction to Jambi is not common with those listening to Rosetta Stoned....

but Jambi is my favorite on the album anyway
Old 05-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

sadly, your reaction to Jambi is not common with those listening to Rosetta Stoned....

smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
05-31-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:

It hasn't clicked for me... yet.

Least favorite song on the album... hopefully That changes.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:

It hasn't clicked for me... yet.

Least favorite song on the album... hopefully That changes.
05-31-2006, 10:05 PM

I find it hard to have hope to like something when in the end it's only up to your heart and compassionate emotions to feel it; love it. It just feels like over thinking about it when you hope to like something.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:05 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

I find it hard to have hope to like something when in the end it's only up to your heart and compassionate emotions to feel it; love it. It just feels like over thinking about it when you hope to like something.
05-31-2006, 10:15 PM

agreeing....
Old 05-31-2006, 10:15 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

agreeing....
queenoftears's Avatar queenoftears
06-01-2006, 03:15 AM

This is my favorite on the album too. It became my fav the second time I heard it and cried my f*n eyes out. One of my best friends/ulitmate Tool buddy committed suicide in March and this song is like the two of us having a conversation. I don't know what it's "supposed" to mean or whatever, but it's an extremely emotional song for me. It's almost like I look forward to listening to it just so I can cry. Maybe I'm losin it, don't really care, but, this is why I love Tool so much, they make me think...

Awesome.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:15 AM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

This is my favorite on the album too. It became my fav the second time I heard it and cried my f*n eyes out. One of my best friends/ulitmate Tool buddy committed suicide in March and this song is like the two of us having a conversation. I don't know what it's "supposed" to mean or whatever, but it's an extremely emotional song for me. It's almost like I look forward to listening to it just so I can cry. Maybe I'm losin it, don't really care, but, this is why I love Tool so much, they make me think...

Awesome.
roj x mugwump
06-01-2006, 03:33 AM

still my 2nd fav after the pot and before rosetta...

love the changes... esp the guitar moves - just so nicely tool ;)

thought more could have been done with the scratching from about
3:04 odd onwards -

Cheers
roj
Old 06-01-2006, 03:33 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

still my 2nd fav after the pot and before rosetta...

love the changes... esp the guitar moves - just so nicely tool ;)

thought more could have been done with the scratching from about
3:04 odd onwards -

Cheers
roj
Stumble's Avatar Stumble
06-04-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon
'Frances the Mute' (most resent) is Mars Volta's story album written after a band member found this dead guys journal in an old house, if i am not mistaken, making it the most accesible i think. This album is a rocking good time but is filled with alot of white noise that kinda gets in the way of all the rockin but i think being a tool fan you can appreciate it. De-Loused in the Comatorium is there first LP, not a story album like Frances but just as rockin. Both albums are very accesible and worthwhile. Maynard himself enjoys the Mars Volta and took it as a compliment when an interviewer said Rossetta Stoned ( i believe ) sounded Mars Volta influenced.

Highlight on Frances: Cygnus....Vismund Cygnus (13:02)
Highlight on De-Loused: Eriatarka (6:21)
Old 06-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon
'Frances the Mute' (most resent) is Mars Volta's story album written after a band member found this dead guys journal in an old house, if i am not mistaken, making it the most accesible i think. This album is a rocking good time but is filled with alot of white noise that kinda gets in the way of all the rockin but i think being a tool fan you can appreciate it. De-Loused in the Comatorium is there first LP, not a story album like Frances but just as rockin. Both albums are very accesible and worthwhile. Maynard himself enjoys the Mars Volta and took it as a compliment when an interviewer said Rossetta Stoned ( i believe ) sounded Mars Volta influenced.

06-05-2006, 11:55 AM

I would say get de-loused first. It was my first expirience with Mars Volta and they are now one of my favorite bands. Every song on there is good, but "take the veil, Cerpin taxt" is one of the coolest fucking songs that has ever been written
Old 06-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

I would say get de-loused first. It was my first expirience with Mars Volta and they are now one of my favorite bands. Every song on there is good, but "take the veil, Cerpin taxt" is one of the coolest fucking songs that has ever been written
Exegesis's Avatar Exegesis
06-05-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:

i make albums like this. i write songs that grow on you like a STD you didn't even know about from a whore you never screwed.

Think about it.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #23
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 52

Quote:

i make albums like this. i write songs that grow on you like a STD you didn't even know about from a whore you never screwed.

Think about it.
Exegesis's Avatar Exegesis
06-05-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble

I am in agreement. The Mars Volta can be quite annoying AT FIRST, but once you give it time to breathe (especially Frances the Mute), it reveals itself to be a really great piece of music.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #24
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble

I am in agreement. The Mars Volta can be quite annoying AT FIRST, but once you give it time to breathe (especially Frances the Mute), it reveals itself to be a really great piece of music.
guitarpete987
06-05-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis
The multi-track epic closer to the album Frances the Mute, "Cassandra Geminni," is probably their most incredible accomplishment to date. Talk about a sweeping, crazy mess of awe-inspiring musicianship. This 30-something-minute monster is the kind of thing you don't think is possible to perform live. Then you see them extend it to about 45 mintues. And you stand there, in shock.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:50 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
The multi-track epic closer to the album Frances the Mute, "Cassandra Geminni," is probably their most incredible accomplishment to date. Talk about a sweeping, crazy mess of awe-inspiring musicianship. This 30-something-minute monster is the kind of thing you don't think is possible to perform live. Then you see them extend it to about 45 mintues. And you stand there, in shock.
MasterOfKtulu109
06-05-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:

same thing happened to me with Rosetta Stoned a few days ago.

I don't get frantic like a lot of people do, and try to like a song before I am ready to. I just listen to it, and when my brain is ready to enjoy it, it will enjoy it, even if it takes a month like Rosetta took. I can't force myself to like something, so I don't try.

its been my theory for awhile that a song you like immediately, you won't like in a month, but a song that takes a month to truly appreciate, you will love for years.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 19

Quote:

same thing happened to me with Rosetta Stoned a few days ago.

I don't get frantic like a lot of people do, and try to like a song before I am ready to. I just listen to it, and when my brain is ready to enjoy it, it will enjoy it, even if it takes a month like Rosetta took. I can't force myself to like something, so I don't try.

its been my theory for awhile that a song you like immediately, you won't like in a month, but a song that takes a month to truly appreciate, you will love for years.
MasterOfKtulu109
06-05-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:

yeah it took me MONTHS to appreciate them. Deloused is a great album, now that I have had time to digest it. It took a long time, and its definitely not for everyone, but if you are patient, you can see its brilliance. I'd love to see them open for Tool.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:13 PM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 19

Quote:

yeah it took me MONTHS to appreciate them. Deloused is a great album, now that I have had time to digest it. It took a long time, and its definitely not for everyone, but if you are patient, you can see its brilliance. I'd love to see them open for Tool.
Rabidgecko's Avatar Rabidgecko
06-06-2006, 04:22 PM

If you're interested. The first full-length Mars Volta CD, De-loused in the Comatorium, is a story actually. It was inspired by a friend of the band who long story short, tried to commit suicide by injecting rat poison and was rushed to the hospital. This happens in the first song Inertiatic ESP (forgive the spelling) and he hallucinates while bordering between life and death. After the hallucinations he wakes up from his coma and decides to commit suicide anyway in the song Televators and is remembered in Cerpin Taxt. While both of their full-length records are quality, I reccommend De-Loused over Frances.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

De-loused

If you're interested. The first full-length Mars Volta CD, De-loused in the Comatorium, is a story actually. It was inspired by a friend of the band who long story short, tried to commit suicide by injecting rat poison and was rushed to the hospital. This happens in the first song Inertiatic ESP (forgive the spelling) and he hallucinates while bordering between life and death. After the hallucinations he wakes up from his coma and decides to commit suicide anyway in the song Televators and is remembered in Cerpin Taxt. While both of their full-length records are quality, I reccommend De-Loused over Frances.
WitlessLiar
06-06-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max T.

You mean uncommon and that it isn't sadly? It happened with me. I hated that song from the getgo. Now, it's up there with pushit(live) and reflection for me (I probably like it more than third eye).

And yeah, from the first break in this song (0:45) forward I think this song is amazing. And it really hits home when I'm thinking about balancing my values.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:36 PM   #29

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max T.

You mean uncommon and that it isn't sadly? It happened with me. I hated that song from the getgo. Now, it's up there with pushit(live) and reflection for me (I probably like it more than third eye).

And yeah, from the first break in this song (0:45) forward I think this song is amazing. And it really hits home when I'm thinking about balancing my values.
orangedarkblue's Avatar orangedarkblue
06-07-2006, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah. It just kept echoing in my mind when i went to bed y'day
Old 06-07-2006, 02:53 AM   #30
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

Quote:
Yeah. It just kept echoing in my mind when i went to bed y'day
06-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Jambi and Right in Two are the best songs on the album....what does everyone else think?
Old 06-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

Jambi and Right in Two are the best songs on the album....what does everyone else think?
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
06-07-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DierVonSaton
I'll echo that.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #32
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

Quote:
I'll echo that.
But I'll pull through
drone007
06-07-2006, 04:09 PM

yeh you should really read up on de-loused... typical first-glance (hell maybe even tenth glance) understanding would say it's not a story, but it's a very cool story, just as fucked up as frances is. de-loused's story is actually more coherent than frances, since the band has said frances is compiled from different elements and the lyrics are left open on purpose to not actually give any concrete understanding.

for what it's worth, i don't have a favorite song on there yet but i never listen to viginti tres, too long a drawn out with no real substance. i do no skip lipan or lost keys though
Old 06-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #33

Bincount™: 1

yeh you should really read up on de-loused... typical first-glance (hell maybe even tenth glance) understanding would say it's not a story, but it's a very cool story, just as fucked up as frances is. de-loused's story is actually more coherent than frances, since the band has said frances is compiled from different elements and the lyrics are left open on purpose to not actually give any concrete understanding.

for what it's worth, i don't have a favorite song on there yet but i never listen to viginti tres, too long a drawn out with no real substance. i do no skip lipan or lost keys though
06-07-2006, 05:24 PM

Jambi is one of the best Tool songs IMO. Especially where Maynard is singing "Divided I wither away".

this band changed my life
Old 06-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 30

Jambi is one of the best Tool songs IMO. Especially where Maynard is singing "Divided I wither away".

this band changed my life
WitlessLiar
06-07-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Personally I think that RiT sounds like two different songs due to such a long buildup.

I'll go with Jambi and Rosetta. Rosetta's just on another level, after you realize it isn't just a song that goes with the theme of HwaP (the whole brand usage and stupidity as mockery thing).
Old 06-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #35

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Personally I think that RiT sounds like two different songs due to such a long buildup.

I'll go with Jambi and Rosetta. Rosetta's just on another level, after you realize it isn't just a song that goes with the theme of HwaP (the whole brand usage and stupidity as mockery thing).
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
06-07-2006, 08:40 PM

I think if I knew how to pronounce the title correctly and/or had the foggiest idea of what this song is about, I might dig it more. I don't know what the title means and if I sing along, I have no idea what/who I'm talking about.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

I think if I knew how to pronounce the title correctly and/or had the foggiest idea of what this song is about, I might dig it more. I don't know what the title means and if I sing along, I have no idea what/who I'm talking about.
06-07-2006, 08:43 PM

jambi>right in two>rosetta stoned
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Old 06-07-2006, 08:43 PM   #37
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897

imatoolhed's Avatar imatoolhed
06-07-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef
imo it's about his mom. wishing she was back or he had more to say to her.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:45 PM   #38
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef
imo it's about his mom. wishing she was back or he had more to say to her.
imthedevil's Avatar imthedevil
06-07-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatoolhed
I second this!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker