Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 09. Intension
User Name
Password
Ghostwriter's Avatar Ghostwriter
07-02-2007, 09:10 AM

This song seems to share some common themes and similarities to the book "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury and the movie "It's a Wonderful Life".

"Fahrenheit 451" is a book written in the post-WW2 era by Ray Bradbury. It takes place in a bleak future where books are strictly prohibitted and any person with them will be lit on fire with them. Montag is a fireman in this modern society. The job of these future firemen is to start fires and burn down the houses containing books rather than put out fires. Montag is obsessed with fire and completes his job mindlessly until he steals a book and reads it.

"Spark becomes a flame
Flame becomes a fire
Forge a blade to slay the stranger
Take whatever we desire"

This is similar to the firemen's obsession with fire and its "purging/cleaning" qualities. The fire can be used as a "blade", or as a weapon to destroy literature and all those who believe in it. The firemen may "take whatever they desire" because they have an occupation of limitless power. In the story, the human race almost becomes a mechanical machine because they do not think for themselves and do the same boring jobs everyday in their dull world. When I hear the song"Intension", the clicking sounds that begin at 4:44 always have reminded me of a microchip, or another component of a computer working. The connection to the book is that it could represent human society completing the same tasks every day as a machine would; the people are completely controlled by their government which leads a totalitarian reign and controls them all as if they were machines. The "pure" mentioned in the lyrics could represent the final product the government and the firemen want to achieve by burning all literature and it's believers. The books however are what help people think for themselves; what helps us be different than a machine.

The song "Intension" could also be connected with the movie "It's a Wonderful Life". In the song, from 2:43 to 3:00 you can hear a bell ringing. In the movie, according to the protagonists little daughter: "Everytime a bell rings an angel gets their wings". This is a common theme during the movie where bells may ring and the movie concludes with the protagonist guardian angel getting his wings when the bell ornament on the family's Christmas tree randomly rings. The bell ringing in the background may be Maynard trying to give his deceased mother her wings. If you do not understand this listen to the lyrics of "Wings for Marie" (parts 1 & 2). The bell ringing in the background may also connect with the other interpretation above because it reminds me of a bell on a firetruck.

Even if this is not what Tool intended the song to mean it will help clarify the lyrics to you and understand the song and the world around you better.
-THINK FOR YOURSELF-
Old 07-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30
Connections to Literature/Film

This song seems to share some common themes and similarities to the book "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury and the movie "It's a Wonderful Life".

"Fahrenheit 451" is a book written in the post-WW2 era by Ray Bradbury. It takes place in a bleak future where books are strictly prohibitted and any person with them will be lit on fire with them. Montag is a fireman in this modern society. The job of these future firemen is to start fires and burn down the houses containing books rather than put out fires. Montag is obsessed with fire and completes his job mindlessly until he steals a book and reads it.

"Spark becomes a flame
Flame becomes a fire
Forge a blade to slay the stranger
Take whatever we desire"

This is similar to the firemen's obsession with fire and its "purging/cleaning" qualities. The fire can be used as a "blade", or as a weapon to destroy literature and all those who believe in it. The firemen may "take whatever they desire" because they have an occupation of limitless power. In the story, the human race almost becomes a mechanical machine because they do not think for themselves and do the same boring jobs everyday in their dull world. When I hear the song"Intension", the clicking sounds that begin at 4:44 always have reminded me of a microchip, or another component of a computer working. The connection to the book is that it could represent human society completing the same tasks every day as a machine would; the people are completely controlled by their government which leads a totalitarian reign and controls them all as if they were machines. The "pure" mentioned in the lyrics could represent the final product the government and the firemen want to achieve by burning all literature and it's believers. The books however are what help people think for themselves; what helps us be different than a machine.

The song "Intension" could also be connected with the movie "It's a Wonderful Life". In the song, from 2:43 to 3:00 you can hear a bell ringing. In the movie, according to the protagonists little daughter: "Everytime a bell rings an angel gets their wings". This is a common theme during the movie where bells may ring and the movie concludes with the protagonist guardian angel getting his wings when the bell ornament on the family's Christmas tree randomly rings. The bell ringing in the background may be Maynard trying to give his deceased mother her wings. If you do not understand this listen to the lyrics of "Wings for Marie" (parts 1 & 2). The bell ringing in the background may also connect with the other interpretation above because it reminds me of a bell on a firetruck.

Even if this is not what Tool intended the song to mean it will help clarify the lyrics to you and understand the song and the world around you better.
-THINK FOR YOURSELF-
07-02-2007, 09:12 AM

I accidentally posted this thread twice. Please remove one Mods!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Re: Connections to Literature/Film

I accidentally posted this thread twice. Please remove one Mods!
midn8
07-12-2007, 01:12 PM

Great interpetation,
i could now THNK FOR MYSELF!!
thnx
Old 07-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Great interpetation,
i could now THNK FOR MYSELF!!
thnx
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
]v[edusa
07-12-2007, 09:32 PM

Thats sounds like an interesting book. Your talk about the machine reminds me of the dreams jevons used to get (I wish that jevons was still here). The dreams involved him or someone else being attached to a machine. They would keep trying to detached themselves. The machine would be the material world, the cultural ego.

Are the people living in the houses willingly letting all of this happen? Do they have no choice? I dont know, maybe Ill jsut check the book out.

You forgot to add the sounds in the beginning of the song. The sounds of people working in an industrial factory. They can be seen as tools to creating machines, cars, blades, weapons, etc. By will they chose to be tools, when really they should be using their will to follow the right path for themselves. To discover the self, to be pure, to unite with others as one instead of fighting others or creating machines that only separate us even more from ourselves.

about the bells and wings for marie part. I heard that if enough people willed for something to happen then it would happen. If we all feel for her in getting her wings as much as maynard then maybe she would ascend and get her wings. Willing for the same thing to happen from a lot of people can be complicated though. for example: A group of people cant pray/will for world peace because everyone views peace differently so the energy created from the group could make things worse.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 51

Thats sounds like an interesting book. Your talk about the machine reminds me of the dreams jevons used to get (I wish that jevons was still here). The dreams involved him or someone else being attached to a machine. They would keep trying to detached themselves. The machine would be the material world, the cultural ego.

Are the people living in the houses willingly letting all of this happen? Do they have no choice? I dont know, maybe Ill jsut check the book out.

You forgot to add the sounds in the beginning of the song. The sounds of people working in an industrial factory. They can be seen as tools to creating machines, cars, blades, weapons, etc. By will they chose to be tools, when really they should be using their will to follow the right path for themselves. To discover the self, to be pure, to unite with others as one instead of fighting others or creating machines that only separate us even more from ourselves.

about the bells and wings for marie part. I heard that if enough people willed for something to happen then it would happen. If we all feel for her in getting her wings as much as maynard then maybe she would ascend and get her wings. Willing for the same thing to happen from a lot of people can be complicated though. for example: A group of people cant pray/will for world peace because everyone views peace differently so the energy created from the group could make things worse.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
07-13-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllvllledusa View Post

The book truly is interesting. This past year I had an amazing English teacher who really helped me gain a whole new understanding for literature. I learned so much from him about the book Fahrenheit 451.

Well about the book, the government has set up a totalitarian state in the country where they literally have control over every aspect of the citizens lives. The book explains how important literature is because the author shows how he believes without books people will not be able to think for themselves and will be reduced to the level of machines. So to answer your question, the people living in the country are unable to think for themselves so they support the government's regime. For example, the author portrays the housewives in the book as the horribly material women that just watch TV all day. In the book they brainlessly listen to their radio headphones all day know as "sea shells". My interpretation of this is that they hear happiness through the headphones but it is like listening to the waves in a sea shell; it is not really there and you cannot reach it (they cannot reach this happiness). This book is truly odd and it is one you should definently read.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

The book truly is interesting. This past year I had an amazing English teacher who really helped me gain a whole new understanding for literature. I learned so much from him about the book Fahrenheit 451.

Well about the book, the government has set up a totalitarian state in the country where they literally have control over every aspect of the citizens lives. The book explains how important literature is because the author shows how he believes without books people will not be able to think for themselves and will be reduced to the level of machines. So to answer your question, the people living in the country are unable to think for themselves so they support the government's regime. For example, the author portrays the housewives in the book as the horribly material women that just watch TV all day. In the book they brainlessly listen to their radio headphones all day know as "sea shells". My interpretation of this is that they hear happiness through the headphones but it is like listening to the waves in a sea shell; it is not really there and you cannot reach it (they cannot reach this happiness). This book is truly odd and it is one you should definently read.
07-13-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:

That is interesting. I believe the will power of all our imaginations/minds combined can accomplish many wonderful things. Connecting this with the song think about the lyrics: "pure as we begin". I believe that when we are born we are pure until we are influenced by the world around us into hatred and evil. This creates this negative energy in our minds that can attribute to the unhappiness, suffering, and hatred in the world.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

That is interesting. I believe the will power of all our imaginations/minds combined can accomplish many wonderful things. Connecting this with the song think about the lyrics: "pure as we begin". I believe that when we are born we are pure until we are influenced by the world around us into hatred and evil. This creates this negative energy in our minds that can attribute to the unhappiness, suffering, and hatred in the world.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply