opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate
User Name
Password
Old 11-16-2006, 12:09 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Maybe Opiate does have an overall theme to it...

I was listening to Opiate tonight, and noticed a lyrical corellation with a lot of the song titles and lyrics that never dawned on me until now. For whatever reason.

I think that the overall message of the CD is the negative influence of religion, and it uses sexual and masturbatory metaphors to get this point across.

Firstly, three song titles can be seen to have sexual connotations...

"Sweat" ( Sexual perspiration )
"Part of Me" ( Male genitalia )
"Jerk-off" ( Masturbation reference )

Secondly, every song -- with the possible exceptions of "Cold And Ugly" and "Jerk-off" -- have lyrics that reference sex, some more than others. "Hush" only contains a couple brief "fuck yourself" parts. Even "The Gaping Lotus Experience" has the lyrics, "He was sort of loving kinda caring, kinda tried to fuck my lazy boy. It got a bit messy all over the curtains, arm chair covers, throw pillows, and carpeting"!

I don't think that this was masterfully planned out to be as thematic as later Tool albums, even as much as Undertow, but there is a loose connection here, if one chooses to see it.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277
Re: Maybe Opiate does have an overall theme to it...

this thought crossed my mind as well last time i was looking at the opiate lyrics.

ill give you my support on this thought.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 145

Makes sense.

I'm also reminded of a Bill Hicks bit that goes something like, "Fundamentalist Christians detest sexual thoughts yet they say 'be fruitful and multiply.' You think that these Fundamentalist Christians would support sexual thoughts. Like a centerfold in the Bible . . . 'Ms. Deuteronomy.' 'Turn-offs: floods, locusts, smokers . . .' "

Last edited by opiated; 11-24-2006 at 02:28 PM..
Old 04-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

I'm also reminded of an interview exerpt in which Maynard is asked

Q. "Religion is the opiate of the masses, this is a Marx statement, is that the reasoning for the albums name?"

A. "Yes."

...I know it's hard to beleive MJK gave up an answer soo simplistically, but... there it is.

As for the OP? Yes the overall theme to it is religions effective hijacking of the minds of millions. Now listen well, that's also why their next albums first single was Sober!!! ;)

Religion has the world OPIATEd. Why can't we all/not be SOBER? Why must I be pulled down by the UNDERTOW of my own angst? Why can't we just get our AngerENIMAs, open our THIRD EYEs and transmutate. Adapted LATERALUS positioning will enable your 10,000 dayS journey to unfold. -_-

Last edited by benjamin; 04-05-2007 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: :nosaeR

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: