Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
Linus84
07-28-2009, 05:10 PM

He was different guys. I saw them 3 times during the 10,000 Days tour and he was animated and waving his cowboy hat around, dancing, etc. Tonight he just stood there singing or fucking around with the screens (looked like he was trying to pick the nose of the guys in the stinkfist videos...also did anyone see him waving his clinched fist around at the end of stinkfist...it looked just like what the song implies). I was on the rail right in front of him and I could see him walking off and sitting behind the speakers directly to his left. Adam went back there once or twice and was talking to him. He was throwing back the water too. Not sure if he's just not feeling well or what but he did look like he was having a tough time last night. My brother also agreed with me.

The only other complaint I have is the crowd in the pit...WTF GA? I'm from the Savannah area and I thought we had ignorant people here...nothing like what was in Gwinette last night. YOU DO NOT FUCKING THRASH OR PUNCH EACH OTHER DURING A TOOL CONCERT YOU IDIOTS!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

He was different guys. I saw them 3 times during the 10,000 Days tour and he was animated and waving his cowboy hat around, dancing, etc. Tonight he just stood there singing or fucking around with the screens (looked like he was trying to pick the nose of the guys in the stinkfist videos...also did anyone see him waving his clinched fist around at the end of stinkfist...it looked just like what the song implies). I was on the rail right in front of him and I could see him walking off and sitting behind the speakers directly to his left. Adam went back there once or twice and was talking to him. He was throwing back the water too. Not sure if he's just not feeling well or what but he did look like he was having a tough time last night. My brother also agreed with me.

The only other complaint I have is the crowd in the pit...WTF GA? I'm from the Savannah area and I thought we had ignorant people here...nothing like what was in Gwinette last night. YOU DO NOT FUCKING THRASH OR PUNCH EACH OTHER DURING A TOOL CONCERT YOU IDIOTS!
OFFLINE |  
mondegreen
07-28-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus84 View Post

I agree on all points.

Especially about behavior in GA. I ended up getting pulled over the rail because I was trying to keep some stupid fucker from continuously ramming his elbows into my back. Not just coincidental contact, I mean actually running into my back with his elbows pointing toward me. I turned around to tell him to stop and he was coming at me full force for the third time. I shoved him away from me and the dumb assed security pulled me out instead of the trouble maker. Typical.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #42
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus84 View Post

I agree on all points.

Especially about behavior in GA. I ended up getting pulled over the rail because I was trying to keep some stupid fucker from continuously ramming his elbows into my back. Not just coincidental contact, I mean actually running into my back with his elbows pointing toward me. I turned around to tell him to stop and he was coming at me full force for the third time. I shoved him away from me and the dumb assed security pulled me out instead of the trouble maker. Typical.
OFFLINE |  
dancingflame
07-28-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr34k View Post
Highlight of the night for me..... my buddies girl got Justin's copy of the setlist.....Lucky bitch :)
the highlight would be: getting to know that they still need a setlist...sorry i couldn`t resist that stupid joke :D
Old 07-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #43
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr34k View Post
Highlight of the night for me..... my buddies girl got Justin's copy of the setlist.....Lucky bitch :)
the highlight would be: getting to know that they still need a setlist...sorry i couldn`t resist that stupid joke :D
OFFLINE |  
junior
07-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondegreen
I think one reason for the setlist not changing night to night is that the show is so intricate. The videos, lights, lasers, etc... all work in conjunction, and I'm sure changing that night to night would be a difficult task. That being said, I wouldn't mind to see the band strip things down a bit to allow for more flexibility in the setlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshspence View Post
2) they are too tied down to the visual aspects. i love the visuals, and always thought that put Tool over the top from a live concert perspective. but i go to concerts to hear live music. but now the visuals are dominating the timing, pacing, and order of the show. everything is in sync b/w the audio and visual, and leaving no room for flexibility. i understand they want us to see the full 'production' as they intended when they organize the show. but as a longtime fan, id vote for stripped down visuals, and have these brilliant musicians put their talents to work with some improvisation, covers, rarities, re-works, etc. just feels like a waste to have them methodically do the same thing every night. and honestly adam looks mostly bored the entire time. justin and danny seem to love whatever's going on.
I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until I am hoarse: THE VISUAL ASPECT OF THE SHOW DOES NOT DICTATE THE SETLIST.
At least a few people must have seen that coming.

All visual aspects of the show are operated 100% by humans, and played like an instrument. The band do not play along to the visuals. There is no time code or click track. Those aspects are in sync only because the lighting, video, and laser operators are pushing the right buttons at the right times.

A 'stripped down' Tool show would only be that: stripped down. You'd still get the setlist that they've decided to play based on whatever criteria it may be. If all of the lights, lasers, and video gear got sent back to the vendors tomorrow you'd just end up with a Tool show that doesn't have any lights, lasers, and video. It wouldn't magically transform into some awesome opportunity for the band to play different songs every night.

As for the particular mood Maynard may have been in at this show, there were an unusual amount of flash cameras in the front and it was bothering him. I'm not going to judge on whether that SHOULD affect a singer in a band, but in the case of Tool and Maynard it DOES. People know about it. It's no secret. He hates flash cameras during the show. It frustrates him to no end. That's not going to change.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #44
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondegreen
I think one reason for the setlist not changing night to night is that the show is so intricate. The videos, lights, lasers, etc... all work in conjunction, and I'm sure changing that night to night would be a difficult task. That being said, I wouldn't mind to see the band strip things down a bit to allow for more flexibility in the setlist.

Quote:
2) they are too tied down to the visual aspects. i love the visuals, and always thought that put Tool over the top from a live concert perspective. but i go to concerts to hear live music. but now the visuals are dominating the timing, pacing, and order of the show. everything is in sync b/w the audio and visual, and leaving no room for flexibility. i understand they want us to see the full 'production' as they intended when they organize the show. but as a longtime fan, id vote for stripped down visuals, and have these brilliant musicians put their talents to work with some improvisation, covers, rarities, re-works, etc. just feels like a waste to have them methodically do the same thing every night. and honestly adam looks mostly bored the entire time. justin and danny seem to love whatever's going on.
I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until I am hoarse: THE VISUAL ASPECT OF THE SHOW DOES NOT DICTATE THE SETLIST.

All visual aspects of the show are operated 100% by humans, and played like an instrument. The band do not play along to the visuals. There is no time code or click track. Those aspects are in sync only because the lighting, video, and laser operators are pushing the right buttons at the right times.

A 'stripped down' Tool show would only be that: stripped down. You'd still get the setlist that they've decided to play based on whatever criteria it may be. If all of the lights, lasers, and video gear got sent back to the vendors tomorrow you'd just end up with a Tool show that doesn't have any lights, lasers, and video. It wouldn't magically transform into some awesome opportunity for the band to play different songs every night.

As for the particular mood Maynard may have been in at this show, there were an unusual amount of flash cameras in the front and it was bothering him. I'm not going to judge on whether that SHOULD affect a singer in a band, but in the case of Tool and Maynard it DOES. People know about it. It's no secret. He hates flash cameras during the show. It frustrates him to no end. That's not going to change.
OFFLINE |  
nusense
07-28-2009, 07:13 PM

That new "intro" to Lost Keys was fucking UNREAL!

I'll post more thoughts later...

short version: Show was amazing, as always. Visuals have been kicked up 10 notches. Maynard definitely seemed... "restrained." Not bad, just not one of his more 'animated' performances.

Glad I didn't look at Tool Army BEFORE the fucking show! Seems they might have been set to drop the cover last night... but of course... decided not to (probably at the last minute. Reason for the delay, perhaps?)
Old 07-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #45
Level 7 - Loquacious

That new "intro" to Lost Keys was fucking UNREAL!

I'll post more thoughts later...

short version: Show was amazing, as always. Visuals have been kicked up 10 notches. Maynard definitely seemed... "restrained." Not bad, just not one of his more 'animated' performances.

Glad I didn't look at Tool Army BEFORE the fucking show! Seems they might have been set to drop the cover last night... but of course... decided not to (probably at the last minute. Reason for the delay, perhaps?)
OFFLINE |  
nusense
07-28-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I did notice a slightly inordinate number of "clueless" people who seemed to simply be there because it was the big rock concert of the month/weekend/etc.

Granted, once you become an "arena sized band," that comes with the territory. Just ask Roger Waters... ;)

BTW: tremendous job, Junior. The visual aspect of the show really reached a new pinnacle last night, largely thanks to your lighting. The lack of a full floor-visual seemed to provide you with more shadows to play with, which was quite refreshing. I loved the full floor-screens/visuals, but ultimately they seemed to make everything a wee bit bright (for a Tool show). Shadows favor this band more (obvious as that might be).
Old 07-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #46
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I did notice a slightly inordinate number of "clueless" people who seemed to simply be there because it was the big rock concert of the month/weekend/etc.

Granted, once you become an "arena sized band," that comes with the territory. Just ask Roger Waters... ;)

BTW: tremendous job, Junior. The visual aspect of the show really reached a new pinnacle last night, largely thanks to your lighting. The lack of a full floor-visual seemed to provide you with more shadows to play with, which was quite refreshing. I loved the full floor-screens/visuals, but ultimately they seemed to make everything a wee bit bright (for a Tool show). Shadows favor this band more (obvious as that might be).
OFFLINE |  
Jayhawker's Avatar Jayhawker
07-28-2009, 07:17 PM

THANK YOU JUNIOR.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

THANK YOU JUNIOR.
07-28-2009, 07:21 PM

He should still face the audience from time to time, I ended up just relaxing in my chair and didn't really care about standing & watching, just listened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondegreen View Post
Maynard positions himself like that to try to get the sound right. The band doesn't want Danny's monster drumset blowing away Maynard's mic.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

He should still face the audience from time to time, I ended up just relaxing in my chair and didn't really care about standing & watching, just listened.

Quote:
Maynard positions himself like that to try to get the sound right. The band doesn't want Danny's monster drumset blowing away Maynard's mic.
OFFLINE |  
justaddh3o
07-28-2009, 07:21 PM

First time poster, long time lurker of the shed. This was my 3rd show and I just could not let this one go unreviewed because of how disappointing it was.

Like nickg420 and many others have stated, Maynard was a real downer. I took a virgin to the show, and she ended up being mildly entertained as was I, but I had to explain on more than 1 occasion that this was a piss poor performance on Maynard's part. Honestly, about halfway through the show I was getting much more excited for the songs that didn't require much input from Maynard so he wouldn't have the opportunity to underwhelm. Seriously, get Maynard off the fucking stage because he clearly does not want to be there. He sat down for HALF THE SHOW for fuck's sake!!! Some of the time all of the guys would be huddled in one spot trying to get something going and maynard would be off in the shadows.

I hate to complain about ticket prices, but given that this is a recycled tour with a static setlist, the effort that the guys put into performing is what is SO CRITICAL. I feel like danny, justin, and adam were laying it all out there. But Maynard, however, was beyond disappointing. Missing some lyrics, butchering others with no regard, and sometimes his timing was so far off you thought somebody staggered his vocals 1/2 second. During Rosetta Stoned and Vicarious I actually found myself wondering if he could actually be that far off and not be doing it intentionally. On that note, I didn't pay out my ass to have a microphone held out to me so I could sing the lyrics to Vicarious...hate it when musicians do that.

The visuals were appropriate and nice. Maybe I'm asking for a little too much but I would like to see more original content instead of music videos we've all seen a million times. If the visuals and stage directions are holding back the setlist then I'd be perfectly happy with some simplified display of random colors if they'd just play some different shit every once in a while. I heard so many people saying things like this on the way out..."Man I want to hear more from opiate" but I understand that's old. But why not more recent jams like The Pot...god forbid Disposition or Reflection.

Flood was by far the best. Drum duet was also nice simply because it was the only point during the show when at least 50% of the fatasses in the building moved a muscle. The crowd...my god...lamest collection of assholes I have ever been around.

This is my 2nd time going to Gwinnett Arena (last was for APC) and I will not be going back. The acoustics in this building are shit. Thumbs up to security though, probably the nicest group I've ever been around.

Bottom line: the show was entertaining but not great by any means, visuals were good, maynard sucked hard, flood rocked.
Was it worth the price of admission? No, in hindsight I would have rather sold my tickets and chilled at the house.

And last but not least, what the FUCK is up with CoSM commercial before the show? Somebody explain to me how this is OK. As soon as I heard "Tool has always pushed the boundaries, even with their stage displays..." I almost raged. Since when did we get commercials at a fucking concert??? I pay out my ass to get in the door (don't get me started on merchandise) and then the CoSM is going to ask for a donation. Seriously they should be ashamed. And I now that you guys love Tool but this type of slacking and selling out cannot be tolerated. People need to stop attending these shows and buying merchandise for the time being until it is warranted
Old 07-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

First time poster, long time lurker of the shed. This was my 3rd show and I just could not let this one go unreviewed because of how disappointing it was.

Like nickg420 and many others have stated, Maynard was a real downer. I took a virgin to the show, and she ended up being mildly entertained as was I, but I had to explain on more than 1 occasion that this was a piss poor performance on Maynard's part. Honestly, about halfway through the show I was getting much more excited for the songs that didn't require much input from Maynard so he wouldn't have the opportunity to underwhelm. Seriously, get Maynard off the fucking stage because he clearly does not want to be there. He sat down for HALF THE SHOW for fuck's sake!!! Some of the time all of the guys would be huddled in one spot trying to get something going and maynard would be off in the shadows.

I hate to complain about ticket prices, but given that this is a recycled tour with a static setlist, the effort that the guys put into performing is what is SO CRITICAL. I feel like danny, justin, and adam were laying it all out there. But Maynard, however, was beyond disappointing. Missing some lyrics, butchering others with no regard, and sometimes his timing was so far off you thought somebody staggered his vocals 1/2 second. During Rosetta Stoned and Vicarious I actually found myself wondering if he could actually be that far off and not be doing it intentionally. On that note, I didn't pay out my ass to have a microphone held out to me so I could sing the lyrics to Vicarious...hate it when musicians do that.

The visuals were appropriate and nice. Maybe I'm asking for a little too much but I would like to see more original content instead of music videos we've all seen a million times. If the visuals and stage directions are holding back the setlist then I'd be perfectly happy with some simplified display of random colors if they'd just play some different shit every once in a while. I heard so many people saying things like this on the way out..."Man I want to hear more from opiate" but I understand that's old. But why not more recent jams like The Pot...god forbid Disposition or Reflection.

Flood was by far the best. Drum duet was also nice simply because it was the only point during the show when at least 50% of the fatasses in the building moved a muscle. The crowd...my god...lamest collection of assholes I have ever been around.

This is my 2nd time going to Gwinnett Arena (last was for APC) and I will not be going back. The acoustics in this building are shit. Thumbs up to security though, probably the nicest group I've ever been around.

Bottom line: the show was entertaining but not great by any means, visuals were good, maynard sucked hard, flood rocked.
Was it worth the price of admission? No, in hindsight I would have rather sold my tickets and chilled at the house.

And last but not least, what the FUCK is up with CoSM commercial before the show? Somebody explain to me how this is OK. As soon as I heard "Tool has always pushed the boundaries, even with their stage displays..." I almost raged. Since when did we get commercials at a fucking concert??? I pay out my ass to get in the door (don't get me started on merchandise) and then the CoSM is going to ask for a donation. Seriously they should be ashamed. And I now that you guys love Tool but this type of slacking and selling out cannot be tolerated. People need to stop attending these shows and buying merchandise for the time being until it is warranted
OFFLINE |  
skagitize
07-28-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:

sounds like we have a few patrons more worried about maynard's feelings... last time i checked i went to concerts to hear music.

how many people are usually on the crew to complete visual tasks?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

sounds like we have a few patrons more worried about maynard's feelings... last time i checked i went to concerts to hear music.

OFFLINE |  
Freshspence
07-28-2009, 07:35 PM

I realize its manual (and impressed, for that matter). when i said 'in sync' i know its not as simple as pushing a button at the beginning of the show and letting it run out. i meant more from a conceptual point of view. they have certain videos/images/coloring (with your input as you stated in another post somewhere) that they want for certain songs. so unless there is a pre-made video montage for every single song available for every show, they are inherently limited to play the songs for the videos they have prepared. cuz if they decided to play Hooker with a Penis on the fly, the Rosetta video sure wouldnt make any sense (except maybe for the guy walking down the highway, who could be a HWAP). im sure there is stock footage available for spontaneous one-offs, but inherently, they've developed a show that combines specific video with specific audio elements (with the timing precision resting on both the band and the lighting crew) ahead of time, and in their quest for this overall experience, spontaneity is vastly limited. its their decision and i respect it on one level. but its frustrating on another.

by stripped down i also meant something more along the lines of simple videos that arent unique to the song being played. upon re-reading my post, i see the ambiguity in my wording. but its just my thoughts. i certainly dont know the reason, i just have my thoughts and opinion on the matter.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #51
Level 4 - Thinker

I realize its manual (and impressed, for that matter). when i said 'in sync' i know its not as simple as pushing a button at the beginning of the show and letting it run out. i meant more from a conceptual point of view. they have certain videos/images/coloring (with your input as you stated in another post somewhere) that they want for certain songs. so unless there is a pre-made video montage for every single song available for every show, they are inherently limited to play the songs for the videos they have prepared. cuz if they decided to play Hooker with a Penis on the fly, the Rosetta video sure wouldnt make any sense (except maybe for the guy walking down the highway, who could be a HWAP). im sure there is stock footage available for spontaneous one-offs, but inherently, they've developed a show that combines specific video with specific audio elements (with the timing precision resting on both the band and the lighting crew) ahead of time, and in their quest for this overall experience, spontaneity is vastly limited. its their decision and i respect it on one level. but its frustrating on another.

by stripped down i also meant something more along the lines of simple videos that arent unique to the song being played. upon re-reading my post, i see the ambiguity in my wording. but its just my thoughts. i certainly dont know the reason, i just have my thoughts and opinion on the matter.

OFFLINE |  
Jayhawker's Avatar Jayhawker
07-28-2009, 07:42 PM

the new 46&2 stuff I am pretty sure went with the Right in Two videos from last tour....I may be wrong but I think they probably do have the visuals for on the fly change or else they wouldnt be as big as they are. The band and the visual team (Junior) probably have the power to do whatever song is in the entire TOOL library....if they intend to play No Quarter at Lolla I wouldn't be surprised if everyone on the team already know about this and are already working on what colors, visuals, lights, videos, etc are going to work.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

the new 46&2 stuff I am pretty sure went with the Right in Two videos from last tour....I may be wrong but I think they probably do have the visuals for on the fly change or else they wouldnt be as big as they are. The band and the visual team (Junior) probably have the power to do whatever song is in the entire TOOL library....if they intend to play No Quarter at Lolla I wouldn't be surprised if everyone on the team already know about this and are already working on what colors, visuals, lights, videos, etc are going to work.
07-28-2009, 07:53 PM

Tool is always amazing, but a few things were frustrating. Maynard only really sang well on 46&2 and Aenema...every other song the Vocals were just bland. I think he just got into those songs, more than others.

The drum solo deal in Lateralus was a disaster, it really kind of ruined a song that is generally a religious experience. Please Tool...there are certain songs that do not need "jam" sections and Lateralus is easily the number one song that should never have anything added or taken away, the way it is on the album is epic.

Also, they play everything a bit slow live, maybe that is to make the show seem longer...not really sure. I really hope they come out with a new album, invigorated and prove me wrong....but this show left a lot to be desired from what I have always considered to be one of the best bands of all time.

None the less a Tool show is better than any other show, except for Maybe Rush.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #53
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11

Tool is always amazing, but a few things were frustrating. Maynard only really sang well on 46&2 and Aenema...every other song the Vocals were just bland. I think he just got into those songs, more than others.

The drum solo deal in Lateralus was a disaster, it really kind of ruined a song that is generally a religious experience. Please Tool...there are certain songs that do not need "jam" sections and Lateralus is easily the number one song that should never have anything added or taken away, the way it is on the album is epic.

Also, they play everything a bit slow live, maybe that is to make the show seem longer...not really sure. I really hope they come out with a new album, invigorated and prove me wrong....but this show left a lot to be desired from what I have always considered to be one of the best bands of all time.

None the less a Tool show is better than any other show, except for Maybe Rush.
07-28-2009, 07:57 PM

This was my 6th Tool show. I'd rate this one somewhere in the middle. Good show, but not great.

I think pretty much everything has been covered at this point, but here are my pros/cons...

Cons: 1) Setlist: what more is there to say. Even two rotating songs in the setlist would have made my night. Just something different. I shouldn't have expected anything different, but sadly I let myself believe this show would be different and that they would throw in something special into the setlist. I can only blame myself. I should know better by now.

2) The Gwinnett Arena: I caught the show at Phillips Arena during the Lateralus tour and I've never heard better acoustics for a band before. I can't say the same for the Gwinnett Arena. All the instruments were extremely loud to the point where they began to drown each other out at certain points. I wasn't horrible. But not great either. Plus you could barely hear Maynard (although this was possibly by design).

3) Maynard - I know this has been covered too. But it really seems like he's checked out at this point. His voice is obviously not what it use to be.

Pros: 1) Adam, Justin, & Danny: These guys never cease to amaze me. They seem to get better and better as time goes along. I can't thank you guys enough for the impact you guys have had on my life all these years. I hope to keep attending Tool concerts for years to come.

2) Section 105 comrads: You guys were great. Thank you so much for not being the '07 Birmingham, AL crowd. I refuse to go back to that place. Fucking idiots!

3) Lateralus: This is probably the greatest live song I've ever heard. Its not my favorite Tool song. But I can't think of a better show ender and more inspiring song to go out on (I still don't have a clue why they close w/ Vicarious instead).

One final comment on Maynard. I know time takes a toll on a vocalist. And I'd say its safe to assume that's why they choose such a static setlist, use so much vocal distortion (I could really do without the megaphone on every song), and why he just downright refuses to sing certain parts of songs. But why on earth does he dash offstage after Vicarious while the other band members remain on stage. Its almost downright disrespect for all the people who have shelled out $60+, traveled an ungodly amount of miles to get to the show. And the worst part, had to put up with some of the dumbasses that actually show up to Tool concerts. Anyway, I must say I'm just not the biggest fan of the man right now.

I fear that Tool as we currently know it may cease to exist sooner than most of us think. I hope I'm completely wrong on this. Only time will tell I guess.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 6th Tool show. I'd rate this one somewhere in the middle. Good show, but not great.

I think pretty much everything has been covered at this point, but here are my pros/cons...

Cons: 1) Setlist: what more is there to say. Even two rotating songs in the setlist would have made my night. Just something different. I shouldn't have expected anything different, but sadly I let myself believe this show would be different and that they would throw in something special into the setlist. I can only blame myself. I should know better by now.

2) The Gwinnett Arena: I caught the show at Phillips Arena during the Lateralus tour and I've never heard better acoustics for a band before. I can't say the same for the Gwinnett Arena. All the instruments were extremely loud to the point where they began to drown each other out at certain points. I wasn't horrible. But not great either. Plus you could barely hear Maynard (although this was possibly by design).

3) Maynard - I know this has been covered too. But it really seems like he's checked out at this point. His voice is obviously not what it use to be.

Pros: 1) Adam, Justin, & Danny: These guys never cease to amaze me. They seem to get better and better as time goes along. I can't thank you guys enough for the impact you guys have had on my life all these years. I hope to keep attending Tool concerts for years to come.

2) Section 105 comrads: You guys were great. Thank you so much for not being the '07 Birmingham, AL crowd. I refuse to go back to that place. Fucking idiots!

3) Lateralus: This is probably the greatest live song I've ever heard. Its not my favorite Tool song. But I can't think of a better show ender and more inspiring song to go out on (I still don't have a clue why they close w/ Vicarious instead).

One final comment on Maynard. I know time takes a toll on a vocalist. And I'd say its safe to assume that's why they choose such a static setlist, use so much vocal distortion (I could really do without the megaphone on every song), and why he just downright refuses to sing certain parts of songs. But why on earth does he dash offstage after Vicarious while the other band members remain on stage. Its almost downright disrespect for all the people who have shelled out $60+, traveled an ungodly amount of miles to get to the show. And the worst part, had to put up with some of the dumbasses that actually show up to Tool concerts. Anyway, I must say I'm just not the biggest fan of the man right now.

I fear that Tool as we currently know it may cease to exist sooner than most of us think. I hope I'm completely wrong on this. Only time will tell I guess.
OFFLINE |  
junior
07-28-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusense View Post
The lack of a full floor-visual seemed to provide you with more shadows to play with, which was quite refreshing. I loved the full floor-screens/visuals, but ultimately they seemed to make everything a wee bit bright (for a Tool show). Shadows favor this band more (obvious as that might be).
I agree
Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #55
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusense View Post
The lack of a full floor-visual seemed to provide you with more shadows to play with, which was quite refreshing. I loved the full floor-screens/visuals, but ultimately they seemed to make everything a wee bit bright (for a Tool show). Shadows favor this band more (obvious as that might be).
I agree
OFFLINE |  
Toology55
07-28-2009, 08:36 PM

I completely agree, but below are just some lyrics to lighten the mood :-)

-------------------------------
I, met a boy, wearing Vans, 501s, and a
Dope beastie-tee, nipple rings,
New tattoos that claim that he
Was OGT,
back in '92,
from the first EP.

And in between
Sips of Coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin' out,
Layin' down,
Suckin' up
To the man.

Well now I've got some
Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger
You should know that
I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and
He's the man as well so you can
Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever even heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And then you bought one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaddh3o View Post

Last edited by Toology55; 07-28-2009 at 08:38 PM..
Old 07-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

I completely agree, but below are just some lyrics to lighten the mood :-)

-------------------------------
I, met a boy, wearing Vans, 501s, and a
Dope beastie-tee, nipple rings,
New tattoos that claim that he
Was OGT,
back in '92,
from the first EP.

And in between
Sips of Coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin' out,
Layin' down,
Suckin' up
To the man.

Well now I've got some
Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger
You should know that
I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and
He's the man as well so you can
Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever even heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And then you bought one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaddh3o View Post

Last edited by Toology55; 07-28-2009 at 08:38 PM..
OFFLINE |  
junior
07-28-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:

I stand by my statement that the production is not holding up the evolution of the setlist.
I've moved my response here: http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p...72#post2766072
as I don't think this directly pertains to the Gwinnett show reviews.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #57
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

I stand by my statement that the production is not holding up the evolution of the setlist.
I've moved my response here: http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p...72#post2766072
as I don't think this directly pertains to the Gwinnett show reviews.
OFFLINE |  
kevinero
07-28-2009, 08:56 PM

First time poster, 4th Tool show. Everything has already been posted that I had even thought of mentioning. My take on the show is pretty much spot on with Rblee2. I drove all the way from Western Kentucky for this show, 450 miles, and this was probably the one I enjoyed the least out of the four I've been able to experience (Cape Girardeau, MO '07, St. Louis, MO '07, Tulsa, OK 07'), Tulsa being the best out of the four. For the first time I decided to not look at the setlists and I believe this was a bad decision on my part. I too was expecting some other songs to be played and got my hopes up too high. Don't get me wrong I still enjoyed the music, the visual experience, Adam, Danny, and Justin. The highlight of the show for me was definitely Aenema, first time hearing it live. However, Maynard was the real downer for me on this one. This was the only out of the four shows I've been too where he acted like this. I had read about shows where he acted this way but never experienced it and it sure does suck. He didn't do the scream at the end of Rosetta Stoned, or finish Vicarious. Seems like any chance he had to get off the stage he did, especially at the end of show, he was nearly gone before they finished. He could not wait to get out of there. Maybe I shouldn't blame him, maybe I should blame all those people who snuck their cameras in when it's obvious the band doesn't want all the flashes and such going on and don't realize how sensitive he can be. Anyways, I'm still glad I drove all that way, and was able to be there. I would have really regretted it if I hadn't gone. The next time they are on tour, hopefully after a new album, I'll drive wherever I have to to seem them.

PS Thanks junior for all the work you do and the extra insight/info you provide on the forums, been reading for a long time.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

First time poster, 4th Tool show. Everything has already been posted that I had even thought of mentioning. My take on the show is pretty much spot on with Rblee2. I drove all the way from Western Kentucky for this show, 450 miles, and this was probably the one I enjoyed the least out of the four I've been able to experience (Cape Girardeau, MO '07, St. Louis, MO '07, Tulsa, OK 07'), Tulsa being the best out of the four. For the first time I decided to not look at the setlists and I believe this was a bad decision on my part. I too was expecting some other songs to be played and got my hopes up too high. Don't get me wrong I still enjoyed the music, the visual experience, Adam, Danny, and Justin. The highlight of the show for me was definitely Aenema, first time hearing it live. However, Maynard was the real downer for me on this one. This was the only out of the four shows I've been too where he acted like this. I had read about shows where he acted this way but never experienced it and it sure does suck. He didn't do the scream at the end of Rosetta Stoned, or finish Vicarious. Seems like any chance he had to get off the stage he did, especially at the end of show, he was nearly gone before they finished. He could not wait to get out of there. Maybe I shouldn't blame him, maybe I should blame all those people who snuck their cameras in when it's obvious the band doesn't want all the flashes and such going on and don't realize how sensitive he can be. Anyways, I'm still glad I drove all that way, and was able to be there. I would have really regretted it if I hadn't gone. The next time they are on tour, hopefully after a new album, I'll drive wherever I have to to seem them.

PS Thanks junior for all the work you do and the extra insight/info you provide on the forums, been reading for a long time.
OFFLINE |  
junior
07-28-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skagitize View Post

The operation of the show is 1 Lighting Director (me), 1 Video Director, and 1 Laser Director.
The lighting crew consists of 4 more people : a crew chief, 2 system technicians, and 1 tech in charge of the motor operation and power distribution.
The video crew consists of 2 more people : one of them is the projectionist for the stage and back screen, and the other one is the projectionist for the side screens. There was a 3rd guy on the 2006-2007 tour because there were 9 more projectors in the air for the stage video.
The laser crew has 2 more people : they monitor the laser heads during the show to make sure the voltage is ok and the water keeps flowing properly.

All told: 5 lighting, 3 video, and 3 laser crew. In addition to this there are local stagehands every day that help with the heavy stuff and hanging and cabling everything.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #59
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by skagitize View Post

The operation of the show is 1 Lighting Director (me), 1 Video Director, and 1 Laser Director.
The lighting crew consists of 4 more people : a crew chief, 2 system technicians, and 1 tech in charge of the motor operation and power distribution.
The video crew consists of 2 more people : one of them is the projectionist for the stage and back screen, and the other one is the projectionist for the side screens. There was a 3rd guy on the 2006-2007 tour because there were 9 more projectors in the air for the stage video.
The laser crew has 2 more people : they monitor the laser heads during the show to make sure the voltage is ok and the water keeps flowing properly.

All told: 5 lighting, 3 video, and 3 laser crew. In addition to this there are local stagehands every day that help with the heavy stuff and hanging and cabling everything.
OFFLINE |  
seznar
07-28-2009, 09:01 PM

Well, I drove a total of 18 hours by myself to see this show. I live in South Florida, and knew that this was potentially my only chance to see my favorite band. First I want to say that Tweak Bird was awesome!

Everybody was bitching about them around me. Which leads me to say that the "tool fans" I met were some of the biggest douches I have encountered. Don't get me wrong, there were some cool people, but my god drunken hick baffoons moshing and punching and fighting. I understand if you want to get a little rowdy during aenima and such, and I know that it is a "rock" concert.. I've been in plenty of pits, but basically what I saw were people who A. were trying to start fights. B. people filming and shooting pictutres the whole time, and c. the kids who would freak out if you decided to clap or hoot because they couldn't focus on the color of Adam's pants for 2 seconds.

With that aside, now comes the part that actually matters:

Well, what can I say I have finally had my Tool cherry popped. It was bound to happen eventually and I wouldn't have it any other way. The show rocked from the start. I was about 5 rows of people back from the front; between Adam and Maynard. The whole experience was quite surreal because I couldn't believe how close I was to my favorite band. I don't really feel like breaking down every song, but overall I was extremely pleased with the performance. I swear I heard the opening of the song H. during Lost Keys, but I was duped. The sound wasn't crystal clear, but that has to be expected when so close to the stage.

Maynard's vocals at least from where I was and what I could hear were definitely lacking. Maybe it was just where I was, but even without the megaphone his voice sounded robotic and distorted ( of course even then he still is in my opinion one of the best vocalists around) .
It seemed like he was into much more in the beginning, and then the energy sort of wavered. I did like his outfit though. It reminds me of the Lateralus tour bootlegs that I've seen. Overall though I'd give him a 7/10 vocal wise.

The rest of the band was definitely on their game. Adam moved around the stage quite a bit. Justin was grooving, and Danny is satan. They played very tight for the most part, and it was fascinating watching them look at each other during certain parts to make sure that they were on the same beat for the big climaxes.

The light show and visuals were incredible. I really like the stage setup compared to bootlegs of previous tours. It seems to be the perfect balance of simplicity and high tech tripiness. I liked the enochian magick board making a reappearance high up by the lights.

So this little review has been very sloppy, but I'm exhausted. Basically the show rocked, and I am grateful to have see my favorite band. The set list was a little disappointing but that is just because I knew what to expect from reading the forums. Maynard lacked, but hey I kinda lacked energy too when I was there... shit happens, and I still think he did a good job. Adam and the rest of the boys really seemed to enjoy themselves, and I did as well. Overall, I'd give the show an 8.5.

I do wish that I would have been blown away by seeing them. Of course, I'm stoked after it, but not blown away. I'd see them again in a hearbeat though.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #60
Level 1 - Lurker

Well, I drove a total of 18 hours by myself to see this show. I live in South Florida, and knew that this was potentially my only chance to see my favorite band. First I want to say that Tweak Bird was awesome!

Everybody was bitching about them around me. Which leads me to say that the "tool fans" I met were some of the biggest douches I have encountered. Don't get me wrong, there were some cool people, but my god drunken hick baffoons moshing and punching and fighting. I understand if you want to get a little rowdy during aenima and such, and I know that it is a "rock" concert.. I've been in plenty of pits, but basically what I saw were people who A. were trying to start fights. B. people filming and shooting pictutres the whole time, and c. the kids who would freak out if you decided to clap or hoot because they couldn't focus on the color of Adam's pants for 2 seconds.

With that aside, now comes the part that actually matters:

Well, what can I say I have finally had my Tool cherry popped. It was bound to happen eventually and I wouldn't have it any other way. The show rocked from the start. I was about 5 rows of people back from the front; between Adam and Maynard. The whole experience was quite surreal because I couldn't believe how close I was to my favorite band. I don't really feel like breaking down every song, but overall I was extremely pleased with the performance. I swear I heard the opening of the song H. during Lost Keys, but I was duped. The sound wasn't crystal clear, but that has to be expected when so close to the stage.

Maynard's vocals at least from where I was and what I could hear were definitely lacking. Maybe it was just where I was, but even without the megaphone his voice sounded robotic and distorted ( of course even then he still is in my opinion one of the best vocalists around) .
It seemed like he was into much more in the beginning, and then the energy sort of wavered. I did like his outfit though. It reminds me of the Lateralus tour bootlegs that I've seen. Overall though I'd give him a 7/10 vocal wise.

The rest of the band was definitely on their game. Adam moved around the stage quite a bit. Justin was grooving, and Danny is satan. They played very tight for the most part, and it was fascinating watching them look at each other during certain parts to make sure that they were on the same beat for the big climaxes.

The light show and visuals were incredible. I really like the stage setup compared to bootlegs of previous tours. It seems to be the perfect balance of simplicity and high tech tripiness. I liked the enochian magick board making a reappearance high up by the lights.

So this little review has been very sloppy, but I'm exhausted. Basically the show rocked, and I am grateful to have see my favorite band. The set list was a little disappointing but that is just because I knew what to expect from reading the forums. Maynard lacked, but hey I kinda lacked energy too when I was there... shit happens, and I still think he did a good job. Adam and the rest of the boys really seemed to enjoy themselves, and I did as well. Overall, I'd give the show an 8.5.

I do wish that I would have been blown away by seeing them. Of course, I'm stoked after it, but not blown away. I'd see them again in a hearbeat though.
OFFLINE |  
Ocajinoj
07-28-2009, 09:10 PM

I thought the show was great and I had way too much fun to nitpick to the level of some.

I really doubt Maynard would be there if he didn't want to be. There's lots of history to back this up, and I think it's kinda funny to see supposed hardcore fans of the band bitching about ticket prices and the like. This band has given me years of enjoyment and I'd honestly be happy to pay more than the 70+ dollars I payed for floor access.

Thanks junior for posting here and giving us little tidbits of info. I thought your post brought a little light and clarity to what unfortunately seems to be turning into an ugly thread. Major kudos to you and the other guys who made the visual aspect of the show pure eyecandy.

I thought Maynard and the rest of the boys sounded fucking great on Jambi, Flood and Aenema. I spent the evening about 20 rows deep in front of Justin. DC was just..... holy fuck it's hard to believe anyone is that good. Him ALONE is worth the price of admission imo. The one complaint I do agree with was the end of the show when Maynard didn't sing to me what is the most powerful lines of Vicarious and the static set list. I could have sworn they were about to play Third Eye at one point and Prison Sex at another... Justin did a pick scrape on his bass that sounded to me exactly like the intro to PS - But w/e. I got over it before leaving the arena.

Praying for a new album > hopefully another new direction for the band > and more opportunities to see them live. Ty Tool.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #61
Level 1 - Lurker

I thought the show was great and I had way too much fun to nitpick to the level of some.

I really doubt Maynard would be there if he didn't want to be. There's lots of history to back this up, and I think it's kinda funny to see supposed hardcore fans of the band bitching about ticket prices and the like. This band has given me years of enjoyment and I'd honestly be happy to pay more than the 70+ dollars I payed for floor access.

Thanks junior for posting here and giving us little tidbits of info. I thought your post brought a little light and clarity to what unfortunately seems to be turning into an ugly thread. Major kudos to you and the other guys who made the visual aspect of the show pure eyecandy.

I thought Maynard and the rest of the boys sounded fucking great on Jambi, Flood and Aenema. I spent the evening about 20 rows deep in front of Justin. DC was just..... holy fuck it's hard to believe anyone is that good. Him ALONE is worth the price of admission imo. The one complaint I do agree with was the end of the show when Maynard didn't sing to me what is the most powerful lines of Vicarious and the static set list. I could have sworn they were about to play Third Eye at one point and Prison Sex at another... Justin did a pick scrape on his bass that sounded to me exactly like the intro to PS - But w/e. I got over it before leaving the arena.

Praying for a new album > hopefully another new direction for the band > and more opportunities to see them live. Ty Tool.
OFFLINE |  
mbwa's Avatar mbwa
07-28-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seznar View Post

same here.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #62
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seznar View Post

same here.
07-28-2009, 09:41 PM

Believe it or not, this is actually my first post to any forum! Oh, I would bet it all that you've chosen not to believe it! I am 28, and technologically literate (we'll see).

I am posting solely to give some propers to Junior for participating at all on here, and taking the time to address everyone's issues with last night. I guess I feel compelled because I haven't seen anyone say a simple thank you....(for posting here I mean....of course the devotees always thank him for his show performance). I'm sure some moron will reply to this with a compilation of every thank you ever written to Junior on this site.

Junior, thanks for the input on last night. I've worked many crews, and the fact that you get on here sometimes after load-out is pretty freaking amazing!

I've been a musician for the last 14 years, so I definitely have some thoughts on certain aspects of last night's performance. All I will say is that I agree with many of the reviewers (everyone except for that dude that posted something about how sick the Linkin Park show was, haha. Maybe another thread I read that in.) Positive note: obviously, TOOL has a pretty amazing crew! I can't emphasize that enough. Unless you've worked on a stage team, you would never appreciate how hard creating the physical/visual aspects of a TOOL show really is. Most people just think a lot of the stuff is already in the venue! haha.

Bottom line: it's already been said more than a few times. :/. Unfortunately, the Atlanta show will be the only one I will be able to attend.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #63
RF_
Level 1 - Lurker

Believe it or not, this is actually my first post to any forum! Oh, I would bet it all that you've chosen not to believe it! I am 28, and technologically literate (we'll see).

I am posting solely to give some propers to Junior for participating at all on here, and taking the time to address everyone's issues with last night. I guess I feel compelled because I haven't seen anyone say a simple thank you....(for posting here I mean....of course the devotees always thank him for his show performance). I'm sure some moron will reply to this with a compilation of every thank you ever written to Junior on this site.

Junior, thanks for the input on last night. I've worked many crews, and the fact that you get on here sometimes after load-out is pretty freaking amazing!

I've been a musician for the last 14 years, so I definitely have some thoughts on certain aspects of last night's performance. All I will say is that I agree with many of the reviewers (everyone except for that dude that posted something about how sick the Linkin Park show was, haha. Maybe another thread I read that in.) Positive note: obviously, TOOL has a pretty amazing crew! I can't emphasize that enough. Unless you've worked on a stage team, you would never appreciate how hard creating the physical/visual aspects of a TOOL show really is. Most people just think a lot of the stuff is already in the venue! haha.

Bottom line: it's already been said more than a few times. :/. Unfortunately, the Atlanta show will be the only one I will be able to attend.
OFFLINE |  
RF_
07-28-2009, 09:43 PM

Okay with the time it took me to post mine above, I see that several people have shown some love! Good stuff.

Last edited by RF_; 07-28-2009 at 09:56 PM..
Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #64
RF_
Level 1 - Lurker

Okay with the time it took me to post mine above, I see that several people have shown some love! Good stuff.

Last edited by RF_; 07-28-2009 at 09:56 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Octave13's Avatar Octave13
07-28-2009, 11:22 PM

I've been to so many Tool shows that I can't remember which number this one was for me. I'd say it was about average, for a Tool show, in this area, anyway. I don't think Maynard likes GA very much, but I don't blame him. Idiot rednecks are the sole reason why I never try to get floor tickets in this state anymore, and the flashing lights were getting on MY nerves too. Regardless, they put on a bad ass show, as always. Junior, I'd like to thank you too, I LOVE the lighting and projectors... everything was a visual treat and you've definitely improved the spectacle since the last tour. Thanks also for providing some insight here, we really appreciate that.

I'll go to a Tool show anytime they come here, and I'll tolerate the sheer stupidity that goes on around me, as long as I get to hear my favorite band play live. Now, granted, the crowd experience for me this time wasn't that bad. I wasn't in the pit and people around me in my area were relatively mellow and didn't scream bloody murder with every other breath. I could see some idiocy taking place down in the pit, however, and it made me that much more thankful for being up in the seats.

My advice to the fucking crybabies; Release any expectations for what you'd like to see or hear and just enjoy something great for what it is. You're lucky they're even touring at all, so stop acting like spoiled little shits who were born with silver spoons in your mouth and a premature sense of entitlement. Tool does things their way, you guys should know this by now.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #65
Level 4 - Thinker

I've been to so many Tool shows that I can't remember which number this one was for me. I'd say it was about average, for a Tool show, in this area, anyway. I don't think Maynard likes GA very much, but I don't blame him. Idiot rednecks are the sole reason why I never try to get floor tickets in this state anymore, and the flashing lights were getting on MY nerves too. Regardless, they put on a bad ass show, as always. Junior, I'd like to thank you too, I LOVE the lighting and projectors... everything was a visual treat and you've definitely improved the spectacle since the last tour. Thanks also for providing some insight here, we really appreciate that.

I'll go to a Tool show anytime they come here, and I'll tolerate the sheer stupidity that goes on around me, as long as I get to hear my favorite band play live. Now, granted, the crowd experience for me this time wasn't that bad. I wasn't in the pit and people around me in my area were relatively mellow and didn't scream bloody murder with every other breath. I could see some idiocy taking place down in the pit, however, and it made me that much more thankful for being up in the seats.

My advice to the fucking crybabies; Release any expectations for what you'd like to see or hear and just enjoy something great for what it is. You're lucky they're even touring at all, so stop acting like spoiled little shits who were born with silver spoons in your mouth and a premature sense of entitlement. Tool does things their way, you guys should know this by now.
OFFLINE |  
nbcrompton
07-28-2009, 11:43 PM

Thanks junior for all the great info.

Give these guys a break our standards are way to high when it comes to this band.
Did you ever think they might want to give all the fans that didn't get to see the last tour a chance to see it before a new cd comes out...

Chill out they are going to raise a few bucks for the new cd and they will be out with an all new tour in the spring of 2010... < Maynard>---Play Eulogy, if you dont want to sing it I will..
Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #66
Level 1 - Lurker

Thanks junior for all the great info.

Give these guys a break our standards are way to high when it comes to this band.
Did you ever think they might want to give all the fans that didn't get to see the last tour a chance to see it before a new cd comes out...

Chill out they are going to raise a few bucks for the new cd and they will be out with an all new tour in the spring of 2010... < Maynard>---Play Eulogy, if you dont want to sing it I will..
OFFLINE |  
Bundahead's Avatar Bundahead
07-29-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
I agree on all points.

You guys have hit the nail on the head! I had GA tickets and stood in that line for 2 hours in the hot ass blazing sun. There were about 20 people ahead of us in line. My husband and i secured our spaces just a few feet from the stage right before the show began. We were so excited...the stage wasn't set as high as the last concert and it felt intimate...safe.
But boy were we wrong.
The push from the people behind us began with the first song; and i expected that. What i didn't expect was the attack that followed. All of a sudden a large group of guys started bum rushing their way through the crowd towards the front. It was like a tidal wave pushing through and everyone in their way were pushed back several feet. This happened over and over again. My husband spent the duration of the concert keeping the two of us upright as these assholes beat the crap out of one another and innocent bystanders alike. Near the end of the concert I couldn't stand it anymore. I worked my way backwards, out of the crowd, and went upstairs.
I just can't believe that this was my experience. I never got to enjoy any of the show. So all of you guys who want to nitpick Maynards performance or the sound quality of the guitars count yourself lucky that you were able to see and hear well enough to be so discerning. Maybe the reason Maynard lacks charisma each time he returns to atlanta is because of how poorly we represent ourselves. And now i'm left with such a deep sense of disappointment. This was the only vacation time my husband had taken in a year; and the first time we'd been anywhere together alone since the birth of our little girl 14 months ago. I needed this so badly. I deserved just one night to enjoy something i love so much: Tool's music. No one cared, nobody thought of anyone else, they stole something very valuable from me and i am left with no way to redeem what was lost. I left the arena in tears. What a huge disappointment.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:58 AM   #67

Quote:
I agree on all points.

You guys have hit the nail on the head! I had GA tickets and stood in that line for 2 hours in the hot ass blazing sun. There were about 20 people ahead of us in line. My husband and i secured our spaces just a few feet from the stage right before the show began. We were so excited...the stage wasn't set as high as the last concert and it felt intimate...safe.
But boy were we wrong.
The push from the people behind us began with the first song; and i expected that. What i didn't expect was the attack that followed. All of a sudden a large group of guys started bum rushing their way through the crowd towards the front. It was like a tidal wave pushing through and everyone in their way were pushed back several feet. This happened over and over again. My husband spent the duration of the concert keeping the two of us upright as these assholes beat the crap out of one another and innocent bystanders alike. Near the end of the concert I couldn't stand it anymore. I worked my way backwards, out of the crowd, and went upstairs.
I just can't believe that this was my experience. I never got to enjoy any of the show. So all of you guys who want to nitpick Maynards performance or the sound quality of the guitars count yourself lucky that you were able to see and hear well enough to be so discerning. Maybe the reason Maynard lacks charisma each time he returns to atlanta is because of how poorly we represent ourselves. And now i'm left with such a deep sense of disappointment. This was the only vacation time my husband had taken in a year; and the first time we'd been anywhere together alone since the birth of our little girl 14 months ago. I needed this so badly. I deserved just one night to enjoy something i love so much: Tool's music. No one cared, nobody thought of anyone else, they stole something very valuable from me and i am left with no way to redeem what was lost. I left the arena in tears. What a huge disappointment.
OFFLINE |  
tmellody
07-29-2009, 05:04 AM

I really think MJK might have been sick after reading some of these posts (sitting down behind amps and drinking water a ton of water). It will be interesting to see how the show goes tonight. We saw them on the 10k tour in Chicago, and he was sick. He came right out and told us he was sick but gave an unbelievable performance anyway. If memory serves, the next couple shows were cancelled.

Re flash cameras. We went to 4 shows on the 10k tour, and in 3 out of 4 shows, he told the crowd outright to put the flash cameras away. "No flash cameras". He usually said it right before Wings. So I think if he was bothered by flashes, he would have said something. Who takes concert photos with a flash anyway? Are you a retard? They won't turn out with the flash on. Try taking them without a flash next time. Save MJK's eyes and have cooler pics.

MJk always does weird stuff so running off the stage is not that odd to me really. But after his performance it makes me wonder if he was too embarassed to stick around and receive adulation..
Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 AM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

I really think MJK might have been sick after reading some of these posts (sitting down behind amps and drinking water a ton of water). It will be interesting to see how the show goes tonight. We saw them on the 10k tour in Chicago, and he was sick. He came right out and told us he was sick but gave an unbelievable performance anyway. If memory serves, the next couple shows were cancelled.

Re flash cameras. We went to 4 shows on the 10k tour, and in 3 out of 4 shows, he told the crowd outright to put the flash cameras away. "No flash cameras". He usually said it right before Wings. So I think if he was bothered by flashes, he would have said something. Who takes concert photos with a flash anyway? Are you a retard? They won't turn out with the flash on. Try taking them without a flash next time. Save MJK's eyes and have cooler pics.

MJk always does weird stuff so running off the stage is not that odd to me really. But after his performance it makes me wonder if he was too embarassed to stick around and receive adulation..
OFFLINE |  
mondegreen
07-29-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundahead View Post
I needed this so badly. I deserved just one night to enjoy something i love so much: Tool's music. No one cared, nobody thought of anyone else, they stole something very valuable from me and i am left with no way to redeem what was lost. I left the arena in tears. What a huge disappointment.
I think I saw you and your husband leaving, and I feel your pain entirely.

I'm a relatively sturdy guy, and I spent the majority of the upbeat songs (Jambi, 46&2, Stinkfist, Anema, Vicarious, etc...) acting as a "wall" for the people in front of and to the right of me. In most cases I was able to keep people from pushing through, but in some cases I ended up running into the person next to me because of the size of the crowd that was rushing the stage.

In hindsight, a decent 100 level seat ticket would have been the way to go. It's been a long time since I went to a show with people who behaved as badly as they did Monday night.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #69
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
I needed this so badly. I deserved just one night to enjoy something i love so much: Tool's music. No one cared, nobody thought of anyone else, they stole something very valuable from me and i am left with no way to redeem what was lost. I left the arena in tears. What a huge disappointment.
I think I saw you and your husband leaving, and I feel your pain entirely.

I'm a relatively sturdy guy, and I spent the majority of the upbeat songs (Jambi, 46&2, Stinkfist, Anema, Vicarious, etc...) acting as a "wall" for the people in front of and to the right of me. In most cases I was able to keep people from pushing through, but in some cases I ended up running into the person next to me because of the size of the crowd that was rushing the stage.

In hindsight, a decent 100 level seat ticket would have been the way to go. It's been a long time since I went to a show with people who behaved as badly as they did Monday night.
OFFLINE |  
btravis311
07-29-2009, 08:09 AM

7th Tool show for me. 3 Lateralus shows, 3 10,000 Days shows, now this one.

I should preface this by saying that I LOVE this band and love to see them live and appreciate what goes into the production and execution of such a transcendent A/V experience. Thanks to band and crew. Money well spent.

Most of the reviews I'm seeing here echo what I would say. I was on the floor about 30 feet back from the stage. The folks around me were cool, pretty much bullshit-free, which is a nice change. Danny was a beast, and worth the price of admission alone. I rate the sound from my location a C+. As has been mentioned already, MJK's just not bringing it like I've seen him do in the past. The Lateralus-era performances were inspired. These days, not so much. Maybe one day we'll get some un-filtered answer as to why this is. At the end of the day, though, it's up to each of us to decide whether it's worth our money or not.

It was my first time hearing "Flood," so it was all worth it, really.

A Tool gig was leaps and bounds more fun than ANYTHING else I might have had going that night. Even a Tool gig where MJK pretty much phones it in.

Last edited by btravis311; 07-29-2009 at 09:05 AM..
Old 07-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #70
Level 4 - Thinker

7th Tool show for me. 3 Lateralus shows, 3 10,000 Days shows, now this one.

I should preface this by saying that I LOVE this band and love to see them live and appreciate what goes into the production and execution of such a transcendent A/V experience. Thanks to band and crew. Money well spent.

Most of the reviews I'm seeing here echo what I would say. I was on the floor about 30 feet back from the stage. The folks around me were cool, pretty much bullshit-free, which is a nice change. Danny was a beast, and worth the price of admission alone. I rate the sound from my location a C+. As has been mentioned already, MJK's just not bringing it like I've seen him do in the past. The Lateralus-era performances were inspired. These days, not so much. Maybe one day we'll get some un-filtered answer as to why this is. At the end of the day, though, it's up to each of us to decide whether it's worth our money or not.

It was my first time hearing "Flood," so it was all worth it, really.

A Tool gig was leaps and bounds more fun than ANYTHING else I might have had going that night. Even a Tool gig where MJK pretty much phones it in.

Last edited by btravis311; 07-29-2009 at 09:05 AM..
OFFLINE |  
grimLoK
07-29-2009, 08:57 AM

i'm not going to name any names but i've read several posts that are complaining in one way or another about the crowd. now i've seen 6 tool shows in 5 different states and read the reviews to all of these shows and in every thread there are always ppl complaining about their fellow concert goers. what makes them think that somehow they are superior to the rest of the ppl in the crowd? if what these complainers say is true, then that means that they are the only decent human beings in the cities of birmingham, dallas, biloxi, pensacola, and atlanta. i find that hard to believe. i've enjoyed the crowd (for the most part) at every show i've been to. and when they complain about the "crowd" they're griping about ppl like you and me who might've driven hundreds of miles to see a great band. i'm from birmingham, al and some uninformed person stated his opinion about the crowd at the oak mountain show and how he would not go back to that place. well, fine. but don't lump everyone into one category. just because you ran into some jerks, don't assume everyone is that way. for all you know those ppl might've driven from out of state and aren't even from b'ham.

same goes for every show. i can promise that in every concert thread on here some are going to complain about the other tool fans in the audience. but think before you label the whole crowd terrible on account of a few numbskulls. once again, i was on the floor level at this venue and had no problems with anyone (in particular, moshers). this ends my rant. thank you for your patience.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #71
Level 2 - Poster

i'm not going to name any names but i've read several posts that are complaining in one way or another about the crowd. now i've seen 6 tool shows in 5 different states and read the reviews to all of these shows and in every thread there are always ppl complaining about their fellow concert goers. what makes them think that somehow they are superior to the rest of the ppl in the crowd? if what these complainers say is true, then that means that they are the only decent human beings in the cities of birmingham, dallas, biloxi, pensacola, and atlanta. i find that hard to believe. i've enjoyed the crowd (for the most part) at every show i've been to. and when they complain about the "crowd" they're griping about ppl like you and me who might've driven hundreds of miles to see a great band. i'm from birmingham, al and some uninformed person stated his opinion about the crowd at the oak mountain show and how he would not go back to that place. well, fine. but don't lump everyone into one category. just because you ran into some jerks, don't assume everyone is that way. for all you know those ppl might've driven from out of state and aren't even from b'ham.

same goes for every show. i can promise that in every concert thread on here some are going to complain about the other tool fans in the audience. but think before you label the whole crowd terrible on account of a few numbskulls. once again, i was on the floor level at this venue and had no problems with anyone (in particular, moshers). this ends my rant. thank you for your patience.
OFFLINE |  
btravis311
07-29-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimLoK View Post
I was on the floor level at this venue and had no problems with anyone (in particular, moshers). this ends my rant. thank you for your patience.
Well put. I was also on the floor, and was pleasantly surprised by the well behaved nature of my neighbors. That said, I did see a fair amount of horseshit-type violence a bit closer to the stage in front of Adam. I was thankful to not be any closer to that.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #72
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I was on the floor level at this venue and had no problems with anyone (in particular, moshers). this ends my rant. thank you for your patience.
Well put. I was also on the floor, and was pleasantly surprised by the well behaved nature of my neighbors. That said, I did see a fair amount of horseshit-type violence a bit closer to the stage in front of Adam. I was thankful to not be any closer to that.
OFFLINE |  
nusense
07-29-2009, 10:00 AM

First... to satiate the naysayers, YES, it would be amazing and excellent if Tool would switch up the setlist, either radically or just a bit. And yes, on this night Maynard was clearly not in the greatest of spirits. As Junior mentioned above, there was an unusual amount of flash photography going on, and we all know how Maynard feels/reacts to that. However, that said and acknowledged...

The boys were fucking on point Monday night. They have consistently tightened up these songs since they've been touring. Little flourishes were all over the place, particularly with Maynard's vocals. I LOVED the new notes he hit (in damn near every song). Aside from sections that he just flat out didn't sing (namely the beginning of Ænema, ending of Vicarious), this was one of the better sounding vocal performances I've heard him give.

At this point, it's probably worth noting that I was blessed with a seat in the middle of Section 100, RIGHT in the middle of the stage and a little closer to the floor. Basically... right in the sweetspot sound-wise as far as seats go.

As I stated earlier, the visuals and lighting have been stepped up tenfold, in my opinion. That is, I suppose, one of the benefits to an unwavering setlist. The production and performance has been tweaked and built to a whole new pinnacle with this tour, and for that reason (as well as just loving every piece of music these guys have ever written), I was more than happy to sit through the same basic setlist.

I did like the placement of Ænema right before the Intermission. Made it feel like an actual encore (for those that are into that sort of thing), and was a good place to break up the set.

The absolute highlight of the night had to be Rossetta Stoned, personally. Since the beginning of the 10K Days tours that has been where the set/show really switches into high gear and starts to go "balls out." But they've really taken that to a whole new level. The "lights out"/green squiggly cue was phenomenal before, but with the addition of the lasers, it's one of the coolest moments I've ever seen (live music wise).

Not sure if you get the effect from the floor, but from where I was (dead center and slightly above the floor), if felt as if this huuuuuuge wall of green ectoplasm (or laser beam if you want to be simplistic) was slamming down from the ceiling onto your head, threatening to smack you, repeatedly, all in sync with that wonderful music. And then again, when it switches gears to the next tribally bit and the lasers go all "jagged"... jesus. Just perfection.

I'm reminded of a quote... "What became of subtlety?"

Indeed. Sure, this was the same basic set from last go 'round. But there were subtle additions all over the place that made my jaw hit the floor. I understand that many fans have no need for subtleties and need drastic changes. Ambient/Synth interludes don't do shit for some people.

But for this geek of all things synth/psychedelia/tech/gear/visual related, this show was a mindfuck like no other. (and I was dead sober, in case you're wondering)

The new Lost Keys intro (with Tim Leary samples?) was un-fucking-real. Some may say "who gives a shit," but the atmosphere created by that mind-blowing masterpiece of mood and synth/sound manipulation was worth the price of admission alone. So awesome.

Ditto that for the new Intermission. I know many people, once again, couldn't care less. But for me, the visuals + the sound were amazing during this. Junior: big props on the lighting for this section of the show. I love those new fixtures (with some super bright LED's I imagine?). Forget what they are, Showco's? I remember someone linking me to them once... I'm no lighting expert though. Whatever they were, they looked amazing, as they did in 2007.

New Lateralus visuals were nuts. The drum off with Tweak Bird's drummer (Ashton?) was really tight. One of the better extended Lateralus' I've seen. Also LOVED Justin playing those extra notes/chords at the end. The only other Lateralus's I've enjoyed more were w/ Kinski in Pensacola in 07, and Danny just going at it solo in Orlando 07.

In many ways, this was the best show I've seen on all of the 10K Days tours. In others, not so much. But, there are always highs and lows. Still a phenomenal performance from both band and crew.

ETA: If Maynard hadn't gotten so pissed of, and they would've just added one more song (ESPECIALLY this new cover, but even The Pot would've sufficed)... this would've been my top show of all the 10K Days tours, and that's saying A LOT.

Last edited by nusense; 07-29-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #73
Level 7 - Loquacious

First... to satiate the naysayers, YES, it would be amazing and excellent if Tool would switch up the setlist, either radically or just a bit. And yes, on this night Maynard was clearly not in the greatest of spirits. As Junior mentioned above, there was an unusual amount of flash photography going on, and we all know how Maynard feels/reacts to that. However, that said and acknowledged...

The boys were fucking on point Monday night. They have consistently tightened up these songs since they've been touring. Little flourishes were all over the place, particularly with Maynard's vocals. I LOVED the new notes he hit (in damn near every song). Aside from sections that he just flat out didn't sing (namely the beginning of Ænema, ending of Vicarious), this was one of the better sounding vocal performances I've heard him give.

At this point, it's probably worth noting that I was blessed with a seat in the middle of Section 100, RIGHT in the middle of the stage and a little closer to the floor. Basically... right in the sweetspot sound-wise as far as seats go.

As I stated earlier, the visuals and lighting have been stepped up tenfold, in my opinion. That is, I suppose, one of the benefits to an unwavering setlist. The production and performance has been tweaked and built to a whole new pinnacle with this tour, and for that reason (as well as just loving every piece of music these guys have ever written), I was more than happy to sit through the same basic setlist.

I did like the placement of Ænema right before the Intermission. Made it feel like an actual encore (for those that are into that sort of thing), and was a good place to break up the set.

The absolute highlight of the night had to be Rossetta Stoned, personally. Since the beginning of the 10K Days tours that has been where the set/show really switches into high gear and starts to go "balls out." But they've really taken that to a whole new level. The "lights out"/green squiggly cue was phenomenal before, but with the addition of the lasers, it's one of the coolest moments I've ever seen (live music wise).

Not sure if you get the effect from the floor, but from where I was (dead center and slightly above the floor), if felt as if this huuuuuuge wall of green ectoplasm (or laser beam if you want to be simplistic) was slamming down from the ceiling onto your head, threatening to smack you, repeatedly, all in sync with that wonderful music. And then again, when it switches gears to the next tribally bit and the lasers go all "jagged"... jesus. Just perfection.

I'm reminded of a quote... "What became of subtlety?"

Indeed. Sure, this was the same basic set from last go 'round. But there were subtle additions all over the place that made my jaw hit the floor. I understand that many fans have no need for subtleties and need drastic changes. Ambient/Synth interludes don't do shit for some people.

But for this geek of all things synth/psychedelia/tech/gear/visual related, this show was a mindfuck like no other. (and I was dead sober, in case you're wondering)

The new Lost Keys intro (with Tim Leary samples?) was un-fucking-real. Some may say "who gives a shit," but the atmosphere created by that mind-blowing masterpiece of mood and synth/sound manipulation was worth the price of admission alone. So awesome.

Ditto that for the new Intermission. I know many people, once again, couldn't care less. But for me, the visuals + the sound were amazing during this. Junior: big props on the lighting for this section of the show. I love those new fixtures (with some super bright LED's I imagine?). Forget what they are, Showco's? I remember someone linking me to them once... I'm no lighting expert though. Whatever they were, they looked amazing, as they did in 2007.

New Lateralus visuals were nuts. The drum off with Tweak Bird's drummer (Ashton?) was really tight. One of the better extended Lateralus' I've seen. Also LOVED Justin playing those extra notes/chords at the end. The only other Lateralus's I've enjoyed more were w/ Kinski in Pensacola in 07, and Danny just going at it solo in Orlando 07.

In many ways, this was the best show I've seen on all of the 10K Days tours. In others, not so much. But, there are always highs and lows. Still a phenomenal performance from both band and crew.

ETA: If Maynard hadn't gotten so pissed of, and they would've just added one more song (ESPECIALLY this new cover, but even The Pot would've sufficed)... this would've been my top show of all the 10K Days tours, and that's saying A LOT.

Last edited by nusense; 07-29-2009 at 10:10 AM..
OFFLINE |  
07-29-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Dude, i don't understand where you coming from here. I can't wrap my mind around how the behavior of the people around me is at all justified. I paid more money so that i could be closer to the stage...i waited in a long line for hours so that my short ass could see. I don't think anyone in here has said anything about the crowd as a whole. My only complaint is with the people who thought so much of themselves that they ruined the experience for me and my husband. It sounds as if you may have been one of the people knocking others out of your way. Or perhaps you're a big fella who can bounce the idiots off of you. I myself am 5 foot 3 inches tall and weigh around 145 lbs, there wasn't much i could do except get out of the way. Oh yeah, i did try to rationalize with a couple of them but they didn't care. It was the strangest thing, though, to see the look on this one guys face as i tried reasoning with him, "Please man, could you please stop and get them to stop too. " He never answered. He just looked in my eyes, hesitated, and then went back to shoving. If you are one of the aformentioned "moshers" then i would beg of you too, "Please stop" or at least limit your chaos to the shows in your area. There's definitely no need for you to cross state lines. I don't think i'm superior at all. I really don't. And i resent you making that assumption based on the fact that I feel victimized by the violence which surrounded me. I am a very open minded, loving human being that just feels I deserve better than the hand that i was dealt. I deserved to enjoy the show as long as i didn't infringe upon your rights to do the same. and vice-versa
Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #74

Quote:

Dude, i don't understand where you coming from here. I can't wrap my mind around how the behavior of the people around me is at all justified. I paid more money so that i could be closer to the stage...i waited in a long line for hours so that my short ass could see. I don't think anyone in here has said anything about the crowd as a whole. My only complaint is with the people who thought so much of themselves that they ruined the experience for me and my husband. It sounds as if you may have been one of the people knocking others out of your way. Or perhaps you're a big fella who can bounce the idiots off of you. I myself am 5 foot 3 inches tall and weigh around 145 lbs, there wasn't much i could do except get out of the way. Oh yeah, i did try to rationalize with a couple of them but they didn't care. It was the strangest thing, though, to see the look on this one guys face as i tried reasoning with him, "Please man, could you please stop and get them to stop too. " He never answered. He just looked in my eyes, hesitated, and then went back to shoving. If you are one of the aformentioned "moshers" then i would beg of you too, "Please stop" or at least limit your chaos to the shows in your area. There's definitely no need for you to cross state lines. I don't think i'm superior at all. I really don't. And i resent you making that assumption based on the fact that I feel victimized by the violence which surrounded me. I am a very open minded, loving human being that just feels I deserve better than the hand that i was dealt. I deserved to enjoy the show as long as i didn't infringe upon your rights to do the same. and vice-versa
OFFLINE |  
mekk
07-29-2009, 11:28 AM

This was my first tool show and I enjoyed it greatly. This thing sold out in 40 minutes on a Saturday and I was ready to pay an extra $40 per ticket to the scalpers on stubhub. However, I thought I would try one more time on Monday and sure enough they opened a few more sections. I feel pretty fortunate to get the tickets at face. I was on justin's side of the arena in section 108. During tweet bird, we were watching out of a window and saw maynard pull up in a black lincoln with his little doggy. Kinda funny that he brings his puppy on tour and that he shows up only 10 minutes before he gets on stage.

As for maynard's singing, I thought he did a good job. You could tell he seemed tired - I also saw him sitting next to the drum tech looking exhausted. I still thought he sang well. It did seem like they mixed his vocals down or due to the shitty venue. As for his performance, Maynard has said before he stands in the back so he can be in his own little world and be in tune with the music. He is purposely disengaging. This is nothing new from the 2007 10000 days tours. Personally, I would rather have him in front. I think we can expect this for the rest of tool's touring life. He was directly facing our section throughout the entire show, so it seemed as if he actually engaged with us.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #75
Level 2 - Poster

This was my first tool show and I enjoyed it greatly. This thing sold out in 40 minutes on a Saturday and I was ready to pay an extra $40 per ticket to the scalpers on stubhub. However, I thought I would try one more time on Monday and sure enough they opened a few more sections. I feel pretty fortunate to get the tickets at face. I was on justin's side of the arena in section 108. During tweet bird, we were watching out of a window and saw maynard pull up in a black lincoln with his little doggy. Kinda funny that he brings his puppy on tour and that he shows up only 10 minutes before he gets on stage.

As for maynard's singing, I thought he did a good job. You could tell he seemed tired - I also saw him sitting next to the drum tech looking exhausted. I still thought he sang well. It did seem like they mixed his vocals down or due to the shitty venue. As for his performance, Maynard has said before he stands in the back so he can be in his own little world and be in tune with the music. He is purposely disengaging. This is nothing new from the 2007 10000 days tours. Personally, I would rather have him in front. I think we can expect this for the rest of tool's touring life. He was directly facing our section throughout the entire show, so it seemed as if he actually engaged with us.
OFFLINE |  
grimLoK
07-29-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
i was not nor have i ever been a mosher. i've fought a few off of me in my day, but i don't condone that type of behavior. i thought that the context of my previous post would make clear this point. so no, i was not one of the ppl knocking others out of my way. i was just stating that the section of the floor area i was standing in was relatively peaceful.

and i'm sorry if i made it sound as though anyone who complains about moshers is arrogant. that was not my point. my point was that although there are "moshers" and other types of "bad fans", the majority of the fans i saw at this show and have seen at other shows were really into the music and not disturbing anyone (the flash photography and maynard is a different story, though). so for someone (not necessarily you) that might go lumping EVERYONE at the show into a category of being a bad crowd just because of some inconsiderate ppl they witnessed, think of all the ppl being good little boys and girls at the show (like most of the posters on this site that have been to multiple shows and travled a long way to get to some of them). sorry bundahead. no offense intended:) hope you enjoy your next show.

i would also like to add that the show rocked. i think i basically said this in my post on page 1 of this thread. i absolutely loved the drumming duet during lateralus. waaaaay better than the kinski jam session i witnessed a couple of years ago.

Last edited by grimLoK; 07-29-2009 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: left something out
Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #76
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
i was not nor have i ever been a mosher. i've fought a few off of me in my day, but i don't condone that type of behavior. i thought that the context of my previous post would make clear this point. so no, i was not one of the ppl knocking others out of my way. i was just stating that the section of the floor area i was standing in was relatively peaceful.

and i'm sorry if i made it sound as though anyone who complains about moshers is arrogant. that was not my point. my point was that although there are "moshers" and other types of "bad fans", the majority of the fans i saw at this show and have seen at other shows were really into the music and not disturbing anyone (the flash photography and maynard is a different story, though). so for someone (not necessarily you) that might go lumping EVERYONE at the show into a category of being a bad crowd just because of some inconsiderate ppl they witnessed, think of all the ppl being good little boys and girls at the show (like most of the posters on this site that have been to multiple shows and travled a long way to get to some of them). sorry bundahead. no offense intended:) hope you enjoy your next show.

i would also like to add that the show rocked. i think i basically said this in my post on page 1 of this thread. i absolutely loved the drumming duet during lateralus. waaaaay better than the kinski jam session i witnessed a couple of years ago.

Last edited by grimLoK; 07-29-2009 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: left something out
OFFLINE |  
P. Rogue
07-29-2009, 12:27 PM

TOOL has been my favorite band for well over a decade and this was my first time seeing them live. I loved every minute of it. I was in the middle of the floor, and didn't have any problems with the crowd. I did notice some rowdier people but them seemed mostly in front of where I was at. I agree more with "nusense" up above in that my mind was blown by the whole experience.

The worst part for me was the drive from Chattanooga. It took me four hours to make a two and an half hour drive due to horrible traffic on 285 and I-85, plus I had some car trouble. I was questioning whether or not I was going to make it after being so excited since I decided to not let another Tool tour pass me by. But I did get there around ten after seven, finally.

I enjoyed Tweak Bird a lot too, especially their energy and enthusiasm. They remind me of early Sabbath mixed with a little Mars Volta progginess.

Maybe because I don't have another Tool show to compare it too, I loved it. Maynard did seem more energetic toward the beginning of the show than at the end, but I could hear his vocals pretty good except when I wasn't paying attention because I was too caught up in yelling the lyrics myself. I especially liked the occult/ufo visuals during Rosetta Stoned. I can't wait too see them again, but hopefully in Knoxville or Nashville.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #77
Level 1 - Lurker

TOOL has been my favorite band for well over a decade and this was my first time seeing them live. I loved every minute of it. I was in the middle of the floor, and didn't have any problems with the crowd. I did notice some rowdier people but them seemed mostly in front of where I was at. I agree more with "nusense" up above in that my mind was blown by the whole experience.

The worst part for me was the drive from Chattanooga. It took me four hours to make a two and an half hour drive due to horrible traffic on 285 and I-85, plus I had some car trouble. I was questioning whether or not I was going to make it after being so excited since I decided to not let another Tool tour pass me by. But I did get there around ten after seven, finally.

I enjoyed Tweak Bird a lot too, especially their energy and enthusiasm. They remind me of early Sabbath mixed with a little Mars Volta progginess.

Maybe because I don't have another Tool show to compare it too, I loved it. Maynard did seem more energetic toward the beginning of the show than at the end, but I could hear his vocals pretty good except when I wasn't paying attention because I was too caught up in yelling the lyrics myself. I especially liked the occult/ufo visuals during Rosetta Stoned. I can't wait too see them again, but hopefully in Knoxville or Nashville.
OFFLINE |  
07-29-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate you taking the time. No offense taken. And yes you are very right in saying there were many extremely cool people there. I shouldn't have left that out of my posts.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #78

Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate you taking the time. No offense taken. And yes you are very right in saying there were many extremely cool people there. I shouldn't have left that out of my posts.
OFFLINE |  
boobah's Avatar boobah
07-29-2009, 12:43 PM

I am an Atlanta "Metal Head". I grew up with Tool though. I outgrew moshing YEARS ago. My Last Concerts I went to were: (from the most recent) Tool, Springsteen, Lamb of God & friends, Slipknot, Barry Manilow.

The most expensive of those shows was Springsteen. And I left after half an hour. The people at that show were the snottiest bunch I've ever encountered.
Slipknot's crowd was just a bunch of self-loathing angry teenage "maggots" (I have since decided I'm not a slipknot fan)
Uhm, Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed the Barry Manilow concert :) At 30, I was still among the youngest people there, But the others were friendly folks happy to interact with each other.
Metal Concerts (Not mainstream pop metal like slipknot) Have the friendliest crowds of all. They know who WANTS to mosh and who doesn't. They respect each other. You can have a conversation with anybody there. I think the reason is, at Metal shows, everyone is there more to have a good time than to take in the music. (and if you are a metal outsider and see us as a bunch of angry people, well that's the "maggots" that there are too many of running around, and I would rebut, The metal community I am speaking of is like unto what you see in movies like Wayne;s World and Tenacious D: Pick of Destiny)

Tool is a large enough sell to attract a lot of "maggots". I gave up two opportunities to be on the floor because I knew they'd be down there. They're always down there. Even at the metal shows, they don't know the polite moshing manners (example, see a brother fall, number one priority GET HIM BACK ON HIS FEET) At some of the heaviest shows I've been to, When it gets REALLY thrashing on the floor, as soon as an ass or an elbow touches the ground, ten pairs of hands are already down there picking him back up.
"Maggots" are happy to stomp you.

Sorry for being presumptuous all you Slipknot fans, but too many of your kind have proven me right.

The Tool Crowd actually wasn't as bad as I expected. I thought it would be like Springsteen, everyone in their own snotty place enjoying the songs they love. (Last time I saw Tool was before Lateralus so I had a presumption of what the fanbase had become)
I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness. (not that friendly, A lot of you ARE assholes, but Not NEARLY as much as Springsteen Fans)

I would rate Tool Fans a distant Second, on friendliness alone, Just a Notch above Barry Manilow Fans.

Edit: I am a "Tool Fan" by the way. I came to this show to enjoy the music and I was getting very annoyed by the people sitting next to me for having loud conversations, So please consider all of the above OBJECTIVE. I am lumping Myself in WITH you.

Last edited by boobah; 07-29-2009 at 12:48 PM..
Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #79
Level 4 - Thinker

I am an Atlanta "Metal Head". I grew up with Tool though. I outgrew moshing YEARS ago. My Last Concerts I went to were: (from the most recent) Tool, Springsteen, Lamb of God & friends, Slipknot, Barry Manilow.

The most expensive of those shows was Springsteen. And I left after half an hour. The people at that show were the snottiest bunch I've ever encountered.
Slipknot's crowd was just a bunch of self-loathing angry teenage "maggots" (I have since decided I'm not a slipknot fan)
Uhm, Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed the Barry Manilow concert :) At 30, I was still among the youngest people there, But the others were friendly folks happy to interact with each other.
Metal Concerts (Not mainstream pop metal like slipknot) Have the friendliest crowds of all. They know who WANTS to mosh and who doesn't. They respect each other. You can have a conversation with anybody there. I think the reason is, at Metal shows, everyone is there more to have a good time than to take in the music. (and if you are a metal outsider and see us as a bunch of angry people, well that's the "maggots" that there are too many of running around, and I would rebut, The metal community I am speaking of is like unto what you see in movies like Wayne;s World and Tenacious D: Pick of Destiny)

Tool is a large enough sell to attract a lot of "maggots". I gave up two opportunities to be on the floor because I knew they'd be down there. They're always down there. Even at the metal shows, they don't know the polite moshing manners (example, see a brother fall, number one priority GET HIM BACK ON HIS FEET) At some of the heaviest shows I've been to, When it gets REALLY thrashing on the floor, as soon as an ass or an elbow touches the ground, ten pairs of hands are already down there picking him back up.
"Maggots" are happy to stomp you.

Sorry for being presumptuous all you Slipknot fans, but too many of your kind have proven me right.

The Tool Crowd actually wasn't as bad as I expected. I thought it would be like Springsteen, everyone in their own snotty place enjoying the songs they love. (Last time I saw Tool was before Lateralus so I had a presumption of what the fanbase had become)
I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness. (not that friendly, A lot of you ARE assholes, but Not NEARLY as much as Springsteen Fans)

I would rate Tool Fans a distant Second, on friendliness alone, Just a Notch above Barry Manilow Fans.

Edit: I am a "Tool Fan" by the way. I came to this show to enjoy the music and I was getting very annoyed by the people sitting next to me for having loud conversations, So please consider all of the above OBJECTIVE. I am lumping Myself in WITH you.

Last edited by boobah; 07-29-2009 at 12:48 PM..
OFFLINE |  
pentonvb05
07-29-2009, 12:50 PM

It was clear something pissed on MJK. The show started off great, Nard killed Jambi and Stinkfist, you could see during 46 & 2 was when he started to get annoyed. It was after that was when he mailed it in. I didnt expect to get aenima at all because of this. What makes some folks think "Oh that no flash photog rules dont apply to me"? You directly ruin the show for everyone else. If Maynard wanted to be have lights on him then Junior would take care of it. Ever since the Lateralus tour MJK was NEVER in the spotlight. PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE!!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #80
Level 3 - Talker

It was clear something pissed on MJK. The show started off great, Nard killed Jambi and Stinkfist, you could see during 46 & 2 was when he started to get annoyed. It was after that was when he mailed it in. I didnt expect to get aenima at all because of this. What makes some folks think "Oh that no flash photog rules dont apply to me"? You directly ruin the show for everyone else. If Maynard wanted to be have lights on him then Junior would take care of it. Ever since the Lateralus tour MJK was NEVER in the spotlight. PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE!!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply