Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Kinesthesis's Avatar Kinesthesis
05-17-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0tch
Hey asshat, I'm not whining. I'm pointing out the obvious. Didnt even really get into a "this sounds better or worse" type of conversation like most everyone else. So fuck off.
Did some Canadian come up with the "asshat" insult?
Old 05-17-2006, 08:30 AM   #161
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6
Re: This album is 99% on point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0tch
Hey asshat, I'm not whining. I'm pointing out the obvious. Didnt even really get into a "this sounds better or worse" type of conversation like most everyone else. So fuck off.
Did some Canadian come up with the "asshat" insult?
05-17-2006, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebussaves
Thjis is the biggest pile of horse monure I have heard all month! THis labum is the wekaest album of all time! THis album is a riff album, All its missing is Fred Durst! Fucking bullshit album Fuck Tool, bastartds want to go back on a deal with me...
What the fuck is wrong with you at the moment?
Old 05-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #162
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
Re: I have a bold statement

Quote:
Thjis is the biggest pile of horse monure I have heard all month! THis labum is the wekaest album of all time! THis album is a riff album, All its missing is Fred Durst! Fucking bullshit album Fuck Tool, bastartds want to go back on a deal with me...
What the fuck is wrong with you at the moment?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Kinesthesis's Avatar Kinesthesis
05-17-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfimportanttoolfan
Pearl Jam's new cd is pretty fucking good.
Yeah. I thought they hung it up a few years ago, kinda disappointing. But I haven't heard their album, so no shitting on it yet.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #163
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6
Re: I have a bold statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfimportanttoolfan
Pearl Jam's new cd is pretty fucking good.
Yeah. I thought they hung it up a few years ago, kinda disappointing. But I haven't heard their album, so no shitting on it yet.
05-17-2006, 09:01 AM

Ok so I just cleaned this thread up. All of the haters can go over to the "I dislike the record" thread.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #164
Banned.

Re: Appreciation for 10,000 Days thread

Ok so I just cleaned this thread up. All of the haters can go over to the "I dislike the record" thread.
imatoolhed's Avatar imatoolhed
05-27-2006, 04:44 PM

now almost 4 weeks after release i will say the stand out tracks for me are.

jambi (my favorite)
rosetta stoned
right in two

3 songs that will be imo, classics.

wings pt 2> wings pt 1
but will be remembered just for who thier wrote for.
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Old 05-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #165
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897
Re: 10,000 days ... Really good music.

now almost 4 weeks after release i will say the stand out tracks for me are.

jambi (my favorite)
rosetta stoned
right in two

3 songs that will be imo, classics.

wings pt 2> wings pt 1
but will be remembered just for who thier wrote for.
stinkfish's Avatar stinkfish
05-27-2006, 05:32 PM

right now I have to say the middle part of Intension, the instrumental part, is my favorite on the otherwise sadly disappointing album. Instead of growing on me, i'm getting bored of most of the songs.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #166
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 21

right now I have to say the middle part of Intension, the instrumental part, is my favorite on the otherwise sadly disappointing album. Instead of growing on me, i'm getting bored of most of the songs.
Alistair_Carson's Avatar Alistair_Carson
05-27-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
I discover today, that the song, Right in Two is in fact an already classic song, it is awesome it is Tool.
I am confused as to say what is the best song on this record. Vicarious, Jambi, Wings for Marie/10,000 Days, The Pot, Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned, Intension/Right in Two. They are all equally excellent but all for a different mindset to be the best.
I highly agree.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #167
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
I discover today, that the song, Right in Two is in fact an already classic song, it is awesome it is Tool.
I am confused as to say what is the best song on this record. Vicarious, Jambi, Wings for Marie/10,000 Days, The Pot, Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned, Intension/Right in Two. They are all equally excellent but all for a different mindset to be the best.
I highly agree.
M.Luther's Avatar M.Luther
05-27-2006, 06:25 PM

stand out tracks:
jambi (a love for the dark side i found: great line)
rosetta stoned
vicarious (mostly for the climax classic tool imo)

alot are saying right in two, but i think its too APCish...

I don't like bashing the band, which i have done some of on the forums of late. But all in all i still find the album as a whole a little subpar.

Bright points:
better music then 99.5% of whats out there right now.
danny's drumming (never disapointed there)
justins bass

over all a good listen, with original artwork that better win some kind of offical recognition

Last edited by M.Luther; 05-27-2006 at 06:29 PM..
Old 05-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #168
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261

stand out tracks:
jambi (a love for the dark side i found: great line)
rosetta stoned
vicarious (mostly for the climax classic tool imo)

alot are saying right in two, but i think its too APCish...

I don't like bashing the band, which i have done some of on the forums of late. But all in all i still find the album as a whole a little subpar.

Bright points:
better music then 99.5% of whats out there right now.
danny's drumming (never disapointed there)
justins bass

over all a good listen, with original artwork that better win some kind of offical recognition

Last edited by M.Luther; 05-27-2006 at 06:29 PM..
resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
05-27-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
PinkFloyd/ Led Zeppelin/ AC/DC, etc
one of these things just doesn't belong here, one of these things just isn't the same...
Old 05-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #169
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472

Quote:
PinkFloyd/ Led Zeppelin/ AC/DC, etc
one of these things just doesn't belong here, one of these things just isn't the same...
Aggroculture's Avatar Aggroculture
05-28-2006, 12:29 AM

I listened to Eulogy with some new headphones today and heard stuff I'd never heard before in the intro...
Old 05-28-2006, 12:29 AM   #170
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

I listened to Eulogy with some new headphones today and heard stuff I'd never heard before in the intro...
tomhet
05-28-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraology
Me either. Those vocals hurt my stomach. And that riff in the middle just sounds too much like Third Eye.
Amen to that, although Justin and Danny still rock.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:02 AM   #171
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraology
Me either. Those vocals hurt my stomach. And that riff in the middle just sounds too much like Third Eye.
Amen to that, although Justin and Danny still rock.
Rosette feasted's Avatar Rosette feasted
05-28-2006, 08:17 AM

10,000 Days.....really good music......kinda bad Tool album...
Old 05-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #172
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

10,000 Days.....really good music......kinda bad Tool album...
imatoolhed's Avatar imatoolhed
05-28-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance.
and one of them has been around, put out more albums , had more tours, party'd harder than the others as well ... so F U.

<hint>
play aussie rule football
Old 05-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #173
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance.
and one of them has been around, put out more albums , had more tours, party'd harder than the others as well ... so F U.

<hint>
play aussie rule football
Noell's Avatar Noell
05-28-2006, 09:28 AM

I never get tired of two bands, Tool and The Mars Volta. Both bands create incredibly complex music.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #174
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I never get tired of two bands, Tool and The Mars Volta. Both bands create incredibly complex music.
05-29-2006, 01:05 PM

I was really confused when I heard 10kd. I knew from the very beginning that it was a masterpiece as I was trying to look at it from a distance to compare it to what other bands offer. But I was unsure where to place it among Tool albums, or to be more precise I knew I liked it more than aenima, undertow and opiate, but I was not sure whether I liked lateralus more or not.

Now, after some time has passed by I decided to listen to Lateralus and then immediately 10kd to decide which one would win.

After hearing Lateralus I said to myself - wow, this is the best record ever, nothing will ever match it. But then when I played 10kd I thought, wait a minute, I am not sure,actually I like the sound of 10kd more, I like the guitars more and the overall feeling of the album...

I think the problem is that when you have an album like Lateralus that you indetify with so much and you treat it as a point of reference, it is difficult to look at the new album without certain prejudices. Now I got used to the change in the direction on the new album and can evaluate the sheer quality of the two records without getting too excited about either of them.

and I say now

10kd = Lateralus > aenima>undertow>opiate

Interestingly, I felt the same way right after 10kd was released, maybe lateralus was slightly ahead. which would suggest that if somebody has not accepted a new record by now, he/she will not do it , or it is very unlikely he/she will do it.

but that is how it is, old fans go, new fans come - the most imprtant thing for the band is to keep on evolving, moving forward, irrespectively of what old fans expect or want to hear.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #175

Bincount™: 4

I was really confused when I heard 10kd. I knew from the very beginning that it was a masterpiece as I was trying to look at it from a distance to compare it to what other bands offer. But I was unsure where to place it among Tool albums, or to be more precise I knew I liked it more than aenima, undertow and opiate, but I was not sure whether I liked lateralus more or not.

Now, after some time has passed by I decided to listen to Lateralus and then immediately 10kd to decide which one would win.

After hearing Lateralus I said to myself - wow, this is the best record ever, nothing will ever match it. But then when I played 10kd I thought, wait a minute, I am not sure,actually I like the sound of 10kd more, I like the guitars more and the overall feeling of the album...

I think the problem is that when you have an album like Lateralus that you indetify with so much and you treat it as a point of reference, it is difficult to look at the new album without certain prejudices. Now I got used to the change in the direction on the new album and can evaluate the sheer quality of the two records without getting too excited about either of them.

and I say now

10kd = Lateralus > aenima>undertow>opiate

Interestingly, I felt the same way right after 10kd was released, maybe lateralus was slightly ahead. which would suggest that if somebody has not accepted a new record by now, he/she will not do it , or it is very unlikely he/she will do it.

but that is how it is, old fans go, new fans come - the most imprtant thing for the band is to keep on evolving, moving forward, irrespectively of what old fans expect or want to hear.
sonnyboy11's Avatar sonnyboy11
05-29-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noell
Whoa- we're on the same page, brutha. These are my two fave bands. Volta are really challenging on record and live (seen them 6 times). One minute I love them, the next minute I think "what the hell are they doing?". Rinse, repeat. Tool is a bit different but still complex. Tool CDs grow on me like a fungus- slow and over time. Yes, I said it- Tool are fungal! :) I have only seen Tool once live though so I am still forming an opinion there. Both bands are pretty demanding though. And sometimes I feel like just laying back. For that, I throw on something like Darklands (JAMC) or even some T. Rex.

10,000 Days = a great CD. It may even end up being my favorite work by them although I have never really felt compelled to choose a "favorite" album from artists that I like.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:18 PM   #176
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noell
Whoa- we're on the same page, brutha. These are my two fave bands. Volta are really challenging on record and live (seen them 6 times). One minute I love them, the next minute I think "what the hell are they doing?". Rinse, repeat. Tool is a bit different but still complex. Tool CDs grow on me like a fungus- slow and over time. Yes, I said it- Tool are fungal! :) I have only seen Tool once live though so I am still forming an opinion there. Both bands are pretty demanding though. And sometimes I feel like just laying back. For that, I throw on something like Darklands (JAMC) or even some T. Rex.

10,000 Days = a great CD. It may even end up being my favorite work by them although I have never really felt compelled to choose a "favorite" album from artists that I like.
Noell's Avatar Noell
05-29-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11
For me, TMV and Tool complement each other. The Mars Volta is more furious and fast paced, it gives me an adrenaline rush, if you know what I mean. (The Haunt of Roulette Dares for example). Personally, I can agree with your fungus theory; especially Tools last three albums have really grown on me. The 10,000 Days album (and Tool in general since Ænema) is more like a slow but strong buildup (I don't mean the song order here), it takes time to realize what - a masterpiece - you're listening to.

Last edited by Noell; 05-29-2006 at 01:50 PM..
Old 05-29-2006, 01:44 PM   #177
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11
For me, TMV and Tool complement each other. The Mars Volta is more furious and fast paced, it gives me an adrenaline rush, if you know what I mean. (The Haunt of Roulette Dares for example). Personally, I can agree with your fungus theory; especially Tools last three albums have really grown on me. The 10,000 Days album (and Tool in general since Ænema) is more like a slow but strong buildup (I don't mean the song order here), it takes time to realize what - a masterpiece - you're listening to.

Last edited by Noell; 05-29-2006 at 01:50 PM..
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
05-29-2006, 01:54 PM

All I can say is: 10k is no Op/Und/Æ/Lat. It's in a class of its own. Some people appreciate that, others don't. I do. I agree 97.9% with the original post. This album IS genius. Anyone failing to appreciate that can suck my left nut.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:54 PM   #178
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

All I can say is: 10k is no Op/Und/Æ/Lat. It's in a class of its own. Some people appreciate that, others don't. I do. I agree 97.9% with the original post. This album IS genius. Anyone failing to appreciate that can suck my left nut.
AsylumVT's Avatar AsylumVT
05-29-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
When you write an album around riffs (referencing Justins MTV inerview) You end up with a forced piece of music. When you write music with an open mind not starting with a bunch of left over "cool" sounding riffs you end up with a journey. A journey from where you started to a place where some closure was found.

10k days is a Riff album conratulations tool!
I dont believe this is a riff album. There really isnt that much of a riff at all. Its just music composed into a masterpeice. They pulled off from the popular crap type rock. The repetitive type of music that is annoying and has composed a story. I dont know how you can call this a "riff" album.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:21 PM   #179
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
When you write an album around riffs (referencing Justins MTV inerview) You end up with a forced piece of music. When you write music with an open mind not starting with a bunch of left over "cool" sounding riffs you end up with a journey. A journey from where you started to a place where some closure was found.

I dont believe this is a riff album. There really isnt that much of a riff at all. Its just music composed into a masterpeice. They pulled off from the popular crap type rock. The repetitive type of music that is annoying and has composed a story. I dont know how you can call this a "riff" album.
AsylumVT's Avatar AsylumVT
05-29-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
So... you're missing your right nut?
Old 05-29-2006, 04:22 PM   #180
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
05-30-2006, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsylumVT
Nah, dude: the right nut is for my girlfriend...
Old 05-30-2006, 06:36 AM   #181
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsylumVT
Nah, dude: the right nut is for my girlfriend...
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
05-30-2006, 07:47 AM

i think it is sensitive
sensitive and brutal at the same
time
the qualities have mixed and something
amazing has been done...to me and
i have such a love for this album

last night was the first night i sat
down with my buddy we listened
i talked about tool
and this album and i felt such love for it
it was so overwhelming
the rushing of blood to the head
the tears that well up then turn into smiles
the goosebumps...the reflection

what an impossible feat
they have catapulted themselves
elsewhere again
Old 05-30-2006, 07:47 AM   #182
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

i think it is sensitive
sensitive and brutal at the same
time
the qualities have mixed and something
amazing has been done...to me and
i have such a love for this album

last night was the first night i sat
down with my buddy we listened
i talked about tool
and this album and i felt such love for it
it was so overwhelming
the rushing of blood to the head
the tears that well up then turn into smiles
the goosebumps...the reflection

what an impossible feat
they have catapulted themselves
elsewhere again
05-30-2006, 08:00 AM

I think it's a great album. I was weary at first, but hey, when I first had sex I was just as weary if no moreso. Now I love it. I love sex too.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:00 AM   #183
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 55

I think it's a great album. I was weary at first, but hey, when I first had sex I was just as weary if no moreso. Now I love it. I love sex too.
kether4602's Avatar kether4602
05-30-2006, 10:42 AM

This album is exactly what i've been waiting for. simply amazing.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:42 AM   #184

Bincount™: 12

This album is exactly what i've been waiting for. simply amazing.
submachine's Avatar submachine
05-30-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
When you write an album around riffs (referencing Justins MTV inerview) You end up with a forced piece of music. When you write music with an open mind not starting with a bunch of left over "cool" sounding riffs you end up with a journey.
Great post, thats exactly the point that those less capable will never understand.

Unlike previous CD's, many of the tracks on 10000 Days are 'forced', simply building upon riffs found in jamming sessions, as per "The TooL Formula 101"

This is not clearly distinguishable, UNLESS one is familar with its opposite, or "writing music from an open mind" as you state. This is how Aenima, Lateralus, and Vicarious was written, and it is why they excel.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #185
On Probation

Bincount™: 163

Quote:
When you write an album around riffs (referencing Justins MTV inerview) You end up with a forced piece of music. When you write music with an open mind not starting with a bunch of left over "cool" sounding riffs you end up with a journey.
Great post, thats exactly the point that those less capable will never understand.

Unlike previous CD's, many of the tracks on 10000 Days are 'forced', simply building upon riffs found in jamming sessions, as per "The TooL Formula 101"

This is not clearly distinguishable, UNLESS one is familar with its opposite, or "writing music from an open mind" as you state. This is how Aenima, Lateralus, and Vicarious was written, and it is why they excel.
05-31-2006, 05:34 AM

Quote:

I'll just quote MJK on this one:

Foot in mouth and head up asshole,
whatcha talkin' 'bout?
Difficult to dance 'round this one
'til you pull it out...

It's too bad that all you hear are recycled riffs. I, and most of my toolhead buddies, can hear SOOO much more. Cheers, laddie.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:34 AM   #186
Banned.

Quote:

I'll just quote MJK on this one:

Foot in mouth and head up asshole,
whatcha talkin' 'bout?
Difficult to dance 'round this one
'til you pull it out...

It's too bad that all you hear are recycled riffs. I, and most of my toolhead buddies, can hear SOOO much more. Cheers, laddie.
formerlycontent's Avatar formerlycontent
05-31-2006, 05:45 AM

For F*cks sake people. We finally get it? Wow. Good. Well, I for one never posted a negative thread about this album when it first came out, I know a lot of you did, i've noticed most of you have changed your minds, this brings back memories (lateralus maybe?) I'm totally the same though, first 5 listens, my thoughts were "awww" but my second thought almost simultaneously was *I know this feeling, the same as when Lateralus came out, but 3 weeks later it was my favorite album" I had a slight doubt if this could grow on me like Lateralus did, But holy f*cking shit this is awesome, amazing, intense, perfect. Damn i'm so impressed with this album, and i kinda love the fact that people who only listen to this album once over won't like it so much, because it makes me feel sorta like the buzz/feeling were all now getting from this record is meant for us, the true fans.

It's almost as though, this record re-tunes our eardrums.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:45 AM   #187
Banned.

Bincount™: 212
Finally?

For F*cks sake people. We finally get it? Wow. Good. Well, I for one never posted a negative thread about this album when it first came out, I know a lot of you did, i've noticed most of you have changed your minds, this brings back memories (lateralus maybe?) I'm totally the same though, first 5 listens, my thoughts were "awww" but my second thought almost simultaneously was *I know this feeling, the same as when Lateralus came out, but 3 weeks later it was my favorite album" I had a slight doubt if this could grow on me like Lateralus did, But holy f*cking shit this is awesome, amazing, intense, perfect. Damn i'm so impressed with this album, and i kinda love the fact that people who only listen to this album once over won't like it so much, because it makes me feel sorta like the buzz/feeling were all now getting from this record is meant for us, the true fans.

It's almost as though, this record re-tunes our eardrums.
right_in_three's Avatar right_in_three
06-01-2006, 01:58 PM

It's yummy.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #188
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

It's yummy.
06-03-2006, 11:34 AM

I thought this album was great as usual. In addition to the themes already presented in this album I would market it as an ode to all those who lost their lives in the terrible hurricane katrina last year. What I mean by this is that occasionally as the cue cards are flipped for this album that occasionally they should include one that is a dedication to the people who lost their lives or people they know in this terrible and pretty much apocalyptic event. It should stand also as an ode to the human race and the human species that has had to endure events of such a great and destructive nature and magnitude in it's history. I apoligize that this piece is not more eloquent, but I am not a very gifted writer. I guess that is okay though since this is only a thread. I really liked this album and thought that like everything they did it was a good album and I shall surely use it as an aid in my own prayers (as an individual, and not as a member of a particular religious group).
Old 06-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #189
Level 1 - Lurker

10,000 days

I thought this album was great as usual. In addition to the themes already presented in this album I would market it as an ode to all those who lost their lives in the terrible hurricane katrina last year. What I mean by this is that occasionally as the cue cards are flipped for this album that occasionally they should include one that is a dedication to the people who lost their lives or people they know in this terrible and pretty much apocalyptic event. It should stand also as an ode to the human race and the human species that has had to endure events of such a great and destructive nature and magnitude in it's history. I apoligize that this piece is not more eloquent, but I am not a very gifted writer. I guess that is okay though since this is only a thread. I really liked this album and thought that like everything they did it was a good album and I shall surely use it as an aid in my own prayers (as an individual, and not as a member of a particular religious group).
QuantumMind's Avatar QuantumMind
06-03-2006, 11:48 AM

And how is 10000 days related to hurricane Katrina?
Old 06-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #190
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: 10,000 days

And how is 10000 days related to hurricane Katrina?
TheHolyGift's Avatar TheHolyGift
06-03-2006, 11:53 AM

It would be good publicity. They should have called the album George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People.

this band changed my life

Last edited by TheHolyGift; 06-03-2006 at 11:58 AM..
Old 06-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #191
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 30
Re: 10,000 days

It would be good publicity. They should have called the album George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People.

this band changed my life

Last edited by TheHolyGift; 06-03-2006 at 11:58 AM..
tenabc
06-03-2006, 09:57 PM

As usual I thought that Tool's new disc was wonderful. I think that they should also market the album as an ode to all those who lost their lives in the almost apocalypic hurricane Katrina. What I mean by this is just that as the cew cards are being distolled throughout this album that occasionaly they do one for the victims who lost their lives, homes, or loved ones in celebration really of the human race and the human species which has had to endure so many great natural tragedies like this in the history of the human race. I loved the album and will surely use all of it's themes as an aid in my personal prayer (as an individual and not as a member of a particular religous group). I apoligize that my writing is not more eloquent but I must confess that I am not much of a writer, although I guess that is okay since this is merely a thread. Thank you.

Last edited by tenabc; 06-03-2006 at 10:01 PM..
Old 06-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #192
Level 1 - Lurker

10,000 Days Commentary

As usual I thought that Tool's new disc was wonderful. I think that they should also market the album as an ode to all those who lost their lives in the almost apocalypic hurricane Katrina. What I mean by this is just that as the cew cards are being distolled throughout this album that occasionaly they do one for the victims who lost their lives, homes, or loved ones in celebration really of the human race and the human species which has had to endure so many great natural tragedies like this in the history of the human race. I loved the album and will surely use all of it's themes as an aid in my personal prayer (as an individual and not as a member of a particular religous group). I apoligize that my writing is not more eloquent but I must confess that I am not much of a writer, although I guess that is okay since this is merely a thread. Thank you.

Last edited by tenabc; 06-03-2006 at 10:01 PM..
Bob_Marley_Wannabe
06-04-2006, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine

dude, dont spew shit as if it were fact as if you were in the fucking room when they made the music and therefore you know how it was written, asshole
Old 06-04-2006, 04:59 AM   #193
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine

dude, dont spew shit as if it were fact as if you were in the fucking room when they made the music and therefore you know how it was written, asshole
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
06-04-2006, 07:03 AM

i wish most people on these boards would utilize the amount of energy
brain power and capability used here to do something beautiful in thier
lives other than sit and argue all day about something so subjective...wow
Old 06-04-2006, 07:03 AM   #194
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

i wish most people on these boards would utilize the amount of energy
brain power and capability used here to do something beautiful in thier
lives other than sit and argue all day about something so subjective...wow
06-04-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Marley_Wannabe
probed
Old 06-04-2006, 07:32 AM   #195
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Marley_Wannabe
probed
CalfMan's Avatar CalfMan
06-11-2006, 10:40 PM

One of the things that impresses me about this album is that it sounds like a lot of older tool stuff, yet on a higher level. What is impressive about it is that this time instead of evolving the structure of the songs and timing changes, it feels like they started from where they were with Lateralus and each evolved their contributions with their respective instruments.
Adam is on fire on this album, even though some say that his guitar style is simplistic, it is his style, not everything has to be as masturbatory as Dream Theater (just because you can do it doesnt mean you should). Adam has always used effects and sustain to drive home the emotion of the notes that he is playing, here he has stepped it up a notch and plays with a lot of emotion and conviction.
Justin has turned in what I can easily say is the most impressive performance from a bass player that I have heard in the last 20 years. Not since Pink Floyd (Primus excluded :) ) has there been music with such integral and driving bass. Justin is breaking new ground while others are contempt to just keep the rhythm and stick to the scale progression. The man truly understands the point of the instrument and how to expand the songs with it.
Danny is unbelievable on this album. As far as drumming is concerned, every song on this album is at least 5 years beyond what anyone else out there can accomplish right now. If you dont believe me, then listen to the album one time through and pay attention to the mandala pads, pay attention to all of the sounds that are not easily distinguishable as guitar, bass, or vocals; the rest is all danny.
As for maynard, I think this is his best work of anything he has ever done. from the classically voiced sections in Wings for Marie, to the bright, crisp vocals in Jambi against the rumbiling guitar, to the range and power shown with the Pot, and the subtle, etheral instrumental vibe that occurs during intension. Amazing all around.
Probably the best part of the album, however, is the groove that is obtained while all of these things are happening. The songs are all tight and cohesive, there is no showboating here, no bloated solos or fills, just what works for the song. Which is probably why so many people are taking time to come around to liking the album. On the surface it can seem simplistic, because there is such a satisfying, accessible groove to it all from the get go which I think people interpret as being "mainstream" but underneath, there are amazing things to be discovered.
In the past, Tool have gotten exponentially better with each release and as I dig further into 10000 days, I am becoming convinced that it has happened again.

Last edited by CalfMan; 06-11-2006 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: cant type and/or spell
Old 06-11-2006, 10:40 PM   #196

Bincount™: 5
Album Review / Response to complaints

One of the things that impresses me about this album is that it sounds like a lot of older tool stuff, yet on a higher level. What is impressive about it is that this time instead of evolving the structure of the songs and timing changes, it feels like they started from where they were with Lateralus and each evolved their contributions with their respective instruments.
Adam is on fire on this album, even though some say that his guitar style is simplistic, it is his style, not everything has to be as masturbatory as Dream Theater (just because you can do it doesnt mean you should). Adam has always used effects and sustain to drive home the emotion of the notes that he is playing, here he has stepped it up a notch and plays with a lot of emotion and conviction.
Justin has turned in what I can easily say is the most impressive performance from a bass player that I have heard in the last 20 years. Not since Pink Floyd (Primus excluded :) ) has there been music with such integral and driving bass. Justin is breaking new ground while others are contempt to just keep the rhythm and stick to the scale progression. The man truly understands the point of the instrument and how to expand the songs with it.
Danny is unbelievable on this album. As far as drumming is concerned, every song on this album is at least 5 years beyond what anyone else out there can accomplish right now. If you dont believe me, then listen to the album one time through and pay attention to the mandala pads, pay attention to all of the sounds that are not easily distinguishable as guitar, bass, or vocals; the rest is all danny.
As for maynard, I think this is his best work of anything he has ever done. from the classically voiced sections in Wings for Marie, to the bright, crisp vocals in Jambi against the rumbiling guitar, to the range and power shown with the Pot, and the subtle, etheral instrumental vibe that occurs during intension. Amazing all around.
Probably the best part of the album, however, is the groove that is obtained while all of these things are happening. The songs are all tight and cohesive, there is no showboating here, no bloated solos or fills, just what works for the song. Which is probably why so many people are taking time to come around to liking the album. On the surface it can seem simplistic, because there is such a satisfying, accessible groove to it all from the get go which I think people interpret as being "mainstream" but underneath, there are amazing things to be discovered.
In the past, Tool have gotten exponentially better with each release and as I dig further into 10000 days, I am becoming convinced that it has happened again.

Last edited by CalfMan; 06-11-2006 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: cant type and/or spell
Kelly's Avatar Kelly
06-11-2006, 11:00 PM

I am in agreeance with everything you've said except for the part about Maynard which I have yet to come to a conclusion about. I do feel as though with time more and more comes to the surface with the record upon futher listening. I am also becoming convinced that the record is in the pattern they have created.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #197
frat boy extraordinaire

Bincount™: 6242
Re: Album Review / Response to complaints

I am in agreeance with everything you've said except for the part about Maynard which I have yet to come to a conclusion about. I do feel as though with time more and more comes to the surface with the record upon futher listening. I am also becoming convinced that the record is in the pattern they have created.
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
06-12-2006, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalfMan
Which is probably why so many people are taking time to come around to liking the album. On the surface it can seem simplistic, because there is such a satisfying, accessible groove to it all from the get go which I think people interpret as being "mainstream" but underneath, there are amazing things to be discovered.
Ditto to the above. That's pretty much what I'm describing in my apology post. Gotta dig deep and really listen to all that is happening in the songs. There's a huge amount of substance in each of them.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:19 AM   #198
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalfMan
Which is probably why so many people are taking time to come around to liking the album. On the surface it can seem simplistic, because there is such a satisfying, accessible groove to it all from the get go which I think people interpret as being "mainstream" but underneath, there are amazing things to be discovered.
Ditto to the above. That's pretty much what I'm describing in my apology post. Gotta dig deep and really listen to all that is happening in the songs. There's a huge amount of substance in each of them.
Cid's Avatar Cid
06-12-2006, 07:01 AM

i definitely agree with you about justin. i really like this album a lot, but it's still not comparable to albums like aenima and lateralus. it's not because of any "simpllistic" feel though, i can recognize the quality of music (excluding the pot) on this album, but it doesn't have the cohesive feel of the previous two. it sounds all over the place. it's a collection of great tracks (again, excluding the pot) put together in my opinion. i do like it a lot though.

oh, and i completely disagree about this being maynards finest album. lyrically there's no way that's true in my opinion, and the pot destroys any way it could be considered his finest vocal performance to me.
10/23/07 OiNK Never Forget
Old 06-12-2006, 07:01 AM   #199
Cid
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 190

i definitely agree with you about justin. i really like this album a lot, but it's still not comparable to albums like aenima and lateralus. it's not because of any "simpllistic" feel though, i can recognize the quality of music (excluding the pot) on this album, but it doesn't have the cohesive feel of the previous two. it sounds all over the place. it's a collection of great tracks (again, excluding the pot) put together in my opinion. i do like it a lot though.

oh, and i completely disagree about this being maynards finest album. lyrically there's no way that's true in my opinion, and the pot destroys any way it could be considered his finest vocal performance to me.
10/23/07 OiNK Never Forget
savelints8's Avatar savelints8
06-12-2006, 07:30 AM

Nice review.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #200
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Location: The Phallus Palace Fernando Clavijo: Resigned!!! Sex: ***MALE***
Bincount™: 4914

Nice review.

Rate This Thread