r u kidding?

VICARIOUS IS DA BEST OPENER, EVAH!
for this comment all you get are the dots

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
HelenA's Avatar HelenA
11-10-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet X View Post
awesome!! you have no idea what you're in store for when you see them live!!

how are your seats??
YES!!! We can't wait!!!! The seats are pretty good - it was such a saga getting them that we are just grateful to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post
r u kidding?

Totally agree. I hear those opening bars and I think "YES!!! Bring it on"

Last edited by HelenA; 11-10-2006 at 07:14 PM..
Old 11-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #42
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989
Re: album of the year?? not...

Quote:
awesome!! you have no idea what you're in store for when you see them live!!

how are your seats??
YES!!! We can't wait!!!! The seats are pretty good - it was such a saga getting them that we are just grateful to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post
r u kidding?

Totally agree. I hear those opening bars and I think "YES!!! Bring it on"

Last edited by HelenA; 11-10-2006 at 07:14 PM..
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
11-10-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetX

Old 11-10-2006, 11:58 PM   #43
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetX

tool fan
11-11-2006, 10:09 AM

Friends, I've been listening to hard rock/metal for over 30 years now. That gives me a perspective on the evolution of rock and an appreciation on just how special a band like Tool is. C'mon man, this is TOOL! Show me a band out there today that inspires as much passion and discussion and analysis and emotion. Album of the year? Without a doubt.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #44
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Friends, I've been listening to hard rock/metal for over 30 years now. That gives me a perspective on the evolution of rock and an appreciation on just how special a band like Tool is. C'mon man, this is TOOL! Show me a band out there today that inspires as much passion and discussion and analysis and emotion. Album of the year? Without a doubt.
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
11-11-2006, 10:36 AM

Maybe it's rock album of the year then, but what about all the other genres?
Old 11-11-2006, 10:36 AM   #45
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

Maybe it's rock album of the year then, but what about all the other genres?
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
11-11-2006, 09:18 PM

Hey, that's a straw man; that's a completely different argument and a story for a different thread. And in there, you will be glad to know that your "less popular" genres that you like can be well represented by you ;)

It's ok, you can admit that 10,000 Days may be, just may be the best album of the year for someone whose favorite genre is rock/metal/progressive. Maybe.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #46
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Hey, that's a straw man; that's a completely different argument and a story for a different thread. And in there, you will be glad to know that your "less popular" genres that you like can be well represented by you ;)

It's ok, you can admit that 10,000 Days may be, just may be the best album of the year for someone whose favorite genre is rock/metal/progressive. Maybe.
11-11-2006, 11:52 PM

I will agree with the person who said that any year tool releases an album is a blessed year. In my feeble opinion, no other band creates music the way tool does. A tool song is an experience. A rollercoaster of layers and soundscapes that continually evolve, complimented by the most (choose from the list) thought provoking, inspiring, beautiful, complex lyrics that any band today has created. Its been said before but 10KD shouldnt be compared to Lateralus. Lateralus shouldn't be compared to Aenima. They are all seperate and equal entities in tool's cloud of emotion. Tool creates more than just music. They create on a deeper level. People are saying there are better albums out this year. If you have an album that can even touch the surface of the emotional orgasm that 10KD creates, please list it...I will be forever thankful.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #47
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

I will agree with the person who said that any year tool releases an album is a blessed year. In my feeble opinion, no other band creates music the way tool does. A tool song is an experience. A rollercoaster of layers and soundscapes that continually evolve, complimented by the most (choose from the list) thought provoking, inspiring, beautiful, complex lyrics that any band today has created. Its been said before but 10KD shouldnt be compared to Lateralus. Lateralus shouldn't be compared to Aenima. They are all seperate and equal entities in tool's cloud of emotion. Tool creates more than just music. They create on a deeper level. People are saying there are better albums out this year. If you have an album that can even touch the surface of the emotional orgasm that 10KD creates, please list it...I will be forever thankful.
HelenA's Avatar HelenA
11-12-2006, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbojangles View Post
Watch out - you will be flamed bigtime for this!!! It is absolutely against the rules of this forum to be so positive about 10,000 days. It is simply not allowed. You can only say good things about Lateralus (and, on a good day, Aenima). And, just note this down somewhere for future reference, it is generally not OK to say that Tool are above average in ANY WAY. Except Danny - everyone here agrees that Danny is a GOD among men ('cept the born-again Christians who honour only one god - and they are EVERYWHERE!!! sneaky bastards!).
Old 11-12-2006, 01:46 AM   #48
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbojangles View Post
Watch out - you will be flamed bigtime for this!!! It is absolutely against the rules of this forum to be so positive about 10,000 days. It is simply not allowed. You can only say good things about Lateralus (and, on a good day, Aenima). And, just note this down somewhere for future reference, it is generally not OK to say that Tool are above average in ANY WAY. Except Danny - everyone here agrees that Danny is a GOD among men ('cept the born-again Christians who honour only one god - and they are EVERYWHERE!!! sneaky bastards!).
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
11-12-2006, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post

Huh? I don't get your point?

Anyway, i'm not sure what you think I was saying, I was really only making the point that listening to rock music for 30 years and understand the evolution of rock music doesnt make you any more qualified to say what the album of the year is.

I'm not sure I can find a suitable analogy, but it's like saying 'I've eaten nothing but sausages all my life, I understand the evolution of sausages, so I can say that sausages are the best food in the world. I mean, come on, we're talking about SAUSAGES here. A new form of sausage is something special. Foodstuff of the year? Without a doubt'

It's not that a limited knowledge stops you from being allowed to form an opinion, anyone can form an opinion. But, like you said you understand of my point, there is a difference between 'favourite' and 'best', and if you haven't sampled some of the best albums in other genres, how can your opinion be considered informed enough to be taken seriously in a question like this?

And it has nothing to do with the popularity of a genre either. I'd go as far as to hazard that electronic music has superseded rock music in terms of size and numbers listening to it these days anyway (not that that means anything, I just thought I'd throw it in there :P) [and please don't read into this that I'm suggesting rock music is a 'small' genre, because it's not, it's massive, it's just that I reckon electronic music probably has more listeners than rock music in this day and age. I don't expect readers of a rock forum to agree with me]

Last edited by Jimmeny; 11-12-2006 at 05:03 AM..
Old 11-12-2006, 04:50 AM   #49
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

Huh? I don't get your point?

Anyway, i'm not sure what you think I was saying, I was really only making the point that listening to rock music for 30 years and understand the evolution of rock music doesnt make you any more qualified to say what the album of the year is.

I'm not sure I can find a suitable analogy, but it's like saying 'I've eaten nothing but sausages all my life, I understand the evolution of sausages, so I can say that sausages are the best food in the world. I mean, come on, we're talking about SAUSAGES here. A new form of sausage is something special. Foodstuff of the year? Without a doubt'

It's not that a limited knowledge stops you from being allowed to form an opinion, anyone can form an opinion. But, like you said you understand of my point, there is a difference between 'favourite' and 'best', and if you haven't sampled some of the best albums in other genres, how can your opinion be considered informed enough to be taken seriously in a question like this?

And it has nothing to do with the popularity of a genre either. I'd go as far as to hazard that electronic music has superseded rock music in terms of size and numbers listening to it these days anyway (not that that means anything, I just thought I'd throw it in there :P) [and please don't read into this that I'm suggesting rock music is a 'small' genre, because it's not, it's massive, it's just that I reckon electronic music probably has more listeners than rock music in this day and age. I don't expect readers of a rock forum to agree with me]

Last edited by Jimmeny; 11-12-2006 at 05:03 AM..
11-12-2006, 11:50 AM

Ok, I'll make an analogy. Let's make up a ridiculous award, "Food of the Year." And I say that Frosted Mini Wheats are the Food of the Year. And you start disagreeing with me, saying that Mini Wheats are processed food, and that there are much better foods out there, and whatever you want to say about it. I retort by saying that it's purely my opinion as to not only what Food of the Year means (favorite? best?), but also to what I choose.

So you come back and say "Well, ok. Mini Wheats might be the best breakfast food of the year, but what about all the other meals?"

Do you get my point? I'm trying to say that 10,000 Days is THE best album of the year across EVERY genre and you keep trying to tell me to pull that back with regards to other genres. I've listened to a lot of music in other genres and 10,000 Days beats them all out. What part of that don't you understand? And why can't you accept that? And hey, while I'm at it... Electronic? "Varcharz" by Mouse on Mars. Hip hop? Peeping Tom. Jpop? Ultra Blue by Utada Hikaru. Punk? Show Your Bones by YYY's. Since you really wanted to know, there are a few...Now are you gonna beat down my opinion for those albums because I haven't listened to enough music?

Quote:
But, like you said you understand of my point, there is a difference between 'favourite' and 'best', and if you haven't sampled some of the best albums in other genres, how can your opinion be considered informed enough to be taken seriously in a question like this?
So what then? Are you gonna hold an aptitude test? "Excuse me sir, you must be this informed about music to have a valid opinion." If you're going to have that sort of elitist attitude, I don't think anyone is going to want to have a discussion with you.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #50
Level 11 - Clamorous

Ok, I'll make an analogy. Let's make up a ridiculous award, "Food of the Year." And I say that Frosted Mini Wheats are the Food of the Year. And you start disagreeing with me, saying that Mini Wheats are processed food, and that there are much better foods out there, and whatever you want to say about it. I retort by saying that it's purely my opinion as to not only what Food of the Year means (favorite? best?), but also to what I choose.

So you come back and say "Well, ok. Mini Wheats might be the best breakfast food of the year, but what about all the other meals?"

Do you get my point? I'm trying to say that 10,000 Days is THE best album of the year across EVERY genre and you keep trying to tell me to pull that back with regards to other genres. I've listened to a lot of music in other genres and 10,000 Days beats them all out. What part of that don't you understand? And why can't you accept that? And hey, while I'm at it... Electronic? "Varcharz" by Mouse on Mars. Hip hop? Peeping Tom. Jpop? Ultra Blue by Utada Hikaru. Punk? Show Your Bones by YYY's. Since you really wanted to know, there are a few...Now are you gonna beat down my opinion for those albums because I haven't listened to enough music?

Quote:
But, like you said you understand of my point, there is a difference between 'favourite' and 'best', and if you haven't sampled some of the best albums in other genres, how can your opinion be considered informed enough to be taken seriously in a question like this?
So what then? Are you gonna hold an aptitude test? "Excuse me sir, you must be this informed about music to have a valid opinion." If you're going to have that sort of elitist attitude, I don't think anyone is going to want to have a discussion with you.
11-12-2006, 01:49 PM

Do you think my comment was aimed at you? It was aimed at this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool fan View Post
Your last paragraph just puts words in my mouth.

In your analogy, if all you eat is breakfast, how are you in a position to say that a certain breakfast is better than all other meals in the day? Sure, you can form an opinion, but you shouldnt be stating for definate that you know what the best meal is, you shouldnt be stating it 'without doubt', because there is doubt. That is why I would say it's ok to say 'I think I know what the best breakfast is, but I wouldn't like to comment on the debate as a whole'.

I'm not suggesting there's a definitive point at which you become qualified to make a comment, but I also think there is a point in which your 'opinion' can hold weight with other people in the debate. By this I mean, I would welcome a debate with people that delve into their music and appreciate a variety of different forms of expression (like yourself, should I need to add that) more than someone that only appreciates, or infact knows about, one or a couple of forms of expression.

All my comments about genre have been with regard to the above quote, not with regard to you and the debate as a whole.

Last edited by Jimmeny; 11-12-2006 at 02:07 PM..
Old 11-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #51
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

In your analogy, if all you eat is breakfast, how are you in a position to say that a certain breakfast is better than all other meals in the day? Sure, you can form an opinion, but you shouldnt be stating for definate that you know what the best meal is, you shouldnt be stating it 'without doubt', because there is doubt. That is why I would say it's ok to say 'I think I know what the best breakfast is, but I wouldn't like to comment on the debate as a whole'.

I'm not suggesting there's a definitive point at which you become qualified to make a comment, but I also think there is a point in which your 'opinion' can hold weight with other people in the debate. By this I mean, I would welcome a debate with people that delve into their music and appreciate a variety of different forms of expression (like yourself, should I need to add that) more than someone that only appreciates, or infact knows about, one or a couple of forms of expression.

All my comments about genre have been with regard to the above quote, not with regard to you and the debate as a whole.

Last edited by Jimmeny; 11-12-2006 at 02:07 PM..
new millenium cyanide christ's Avatar new millenium cyanide christ
11-12-2006, 02:39 PM

i'm glad i created this thread
Old 11-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #52
greetings from planet x

Bincount™: 1062

HelenA's Avatar HelenA
11-12-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Yep - it sure is getting interesting!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #53
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Yep - it sure is getting interesting!
Cloudshaper's Avatar Cloudshaper
11-13-2006, 06:41 AM

Album og the year pause not
Old 11-13-2006, 06:41 AM   #54
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Album og the year pause not
tool fan
11-13-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny View Post

Alright, alright already. Christ. How's this....In my humble opinion Tool's 10,000 Days is the best Rock/Metal/Prog album of the year. Didn't mean to offend.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 AM   #55
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

Alright, alright already. Christ. How's this....In my humble opinion Tool's 10,000 Days is the best Rock/Metal/Prog album of the year. Didn't mean to offend.
11-13-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
No one has eaten every single food in the world and is able to positively make this "best food of the year" claim. Similarly, no one can or has listened to every single CD that came out in 2006. So where do you draw the line? Just because someone only eats breakfast type foods (or listens to only rock music), does that mean they aren't qualified to say that something they like is their favorite? I can't stand reggae, therefore I can't stand Matisyahu's album and some people are calling that the album of the year.

Quote:
I know what you're saying; it gets frustrating to talk about music with people who have very selective listening habits because the limited knowledge/scope makes the conversation dull immediately. Sometimes even I get faced with that when talking to people who are more well versed in whatever genre I don't know much about.

But my point is that everyone's opinion is valid, whether or not they are some 13 year old forum troll or whether it's David Fricke writing for Rolling Stone magazine. And honestly, I think that's what makes it interesting! Sometimes the pros fuck up too! I was in Tower Records and there was this "top 200" or 500 or whatever best rock albums of all time. They had AC/DC on there for THREE albums--but didn't include a single Tool or Pantera album. And so many other bullcrap albums that I felt didn't belong on the list.

Let everyone have their opinion, and stop worrying about a prerequisite for how qualified you have to be to have an opinion. Someone's limitations will be apparent in the discussion thereafter, not in their album selections.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #56
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
No one has eaten every single food in the world and is able to positively make this "best food of the year" claim. Similarly, no one can or has listened to every single CD that came out in 2006. So where do you draw the line? Just because someone only eats breakfast type foods (or listens to only rock music), does that mean they aren't qualified to say that something they like is their favorite? I can't stand reggae, therefore I can't stand Matisyahu's album and some people are calling that the album of the year.

Quote:
I know what you're saying; it gets frustrating to talk about music with people who have very selective listening habits because the limited knowledge/scope makes the conversation dull immediately. Sometimes even I get faced with that when talking to people who are more well versed in whatever genre I don't know much about.

But my point is that everyone's opinion is valid, whether or not they are some 13 year old forum troll or whether it's David Fricke writing for Rolling Stone magazine. And honestly, I think that's what makes it interesting! Sometimes the pros fuck up too! I was in Tower Records and there was this "top 200" or 500 or whatever best rock albums of all time. They had AC/DC on there for THREE albums--but didn't include a single Tool or Pantera album. And so many other bullcrap albums that I felt didn't belong on the list.

Let everyone have their opinion, and stop worrying about a prerequisite for how qualified you have to be to have an opinion. Someone's limitations will be apparent in the discussion thereafter, not in their album selections.
11-13-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I was in Tower Records and there was this "top 200" or 500 or whatever best rock albums of all time. They had AC/DC on there for THREE albums--but didn't include a single Tool or Pantera album. .
Un-fucking-believable! Typical, I guess, but outrageous non the less!
lol at "record compony"...shmucks.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #57
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
I was in Tower Records and there was this "top 200" or 500 or whatever best rock albums of all time. They had AC/DC on there for THREE albums--but didn't include a single Tool or Pantera album. .
Un-fucking-believable! Typical, I guess, but outrageous non the less!
lol at "record compony"...shmucks.
11-15-2006, 07:19 PM

I like masturbating to all kinds of music, but I still say nothing gets me off like 10,000 days. This year at least. The album flows like the streams of Africa, Vicarious all the way to the ambiguous ending- viginte tres. I literally love the album, but I am not in love with it- thats why I can still sleep around guilt free. Tools sexiest album? I don't know if I would go that far... maybe I would. Today. Yes today it is the sexiest. Tommorow? Who knows... maybe Undertow
Old 11-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #58
On Probation

I like masturbating to all kinds of music, but I still say nothing gets me off like 10,000 days. This year at least. The album flows like the streams of Africa, Vicarious all the way to the ambiguous ending- viginte tres. I literally love the album, but I am not in love with it- thats why I can still sleep around guilt free. Tools sexiest album? I don't know if I would go that far... maybe I would. Today. Yes today it is the sexiest. Tommorow? Who knows... maybe Undertow
joeburo
11-16-2006, 01:15 AM

I agree with both Confield and Jimmeny, strangely enough. Sometimes 10K days thrills me, and sometimes it feels really stale. This may be because they've seemingly taken older material, arranged it in new ways, and added some new techniques they've learned in the past five years.

Last edited by joeburo; 11-16-2006 at 04:29 PM..
Old 11-16-2006, 01:15 AM   #59
Level 4 - Thinker

I agree with both Confield and Jimmeny, strangely enough. Sometimes 10K days thrills me, and sometimes it feels really stale. This may be because they've seemingly taken older material, arranged it in new ways, and added some new techniques they've learned in the past five years.

Last edited by joeburo; 11-16-2006 at 04:29 PM..
HelenA's Avatar HelenA
11-18-2006, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Same.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:47 AM   #60
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Same.
Benevolent Son's Avatar Benevolent Son
11-29-2006, 08:15 PM

There are several albums released this year that do leave me with that feel - the feeling off 'How the hell did they write that? How the hell did they concieve THAT?'

Yup.

www.myspace.com/shapingthemindsofouryouth

Last edited by Benevolent Son; 11-29-2006 at 08:23 PM..
Old 11-29-2006, 08:15 PM   #61
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

There are several albums released this year that do leave me with that feel - the feeling off 'How the hell did they write that? How the hell did they concieve THAT?'

Yup.

www.myspace.com/shapingthemindsofouryouth

Last edited by Benevolent Son; 11-29-2006 at 08:23 PM..
Confield's Avatar Confield
12-02-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benevolent Son View Post

Yup.

goddammit, share

what the fuck are they?
Old 12-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #62
On Probation

Bincount™: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benevolent Son View Post

Yup.

goddammit, share

what the fuck are they?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply