Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).
Old 07-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
08.05.09 - Toronto, ON @ Molson Amphitheatre

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).
sianspheric's Avatar sianspheric
08-05-2009, 06:34 PM

just finished

Jambi
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious
Old 08-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174
Re: 08.05.09 - Toronto, ON @ Molson Amphitheatre

just finished

Jambi
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious
OFFLINE |  
36zapata36's Avatar 36zapata36
08-05-2009, 08:30 PM

Christopher Robin of the Canadian band, Crystal Castles, played with Danny tonight.

Also, Maynard kept going on and on about how Stephen Hawking was in attendance. He was quite talkative and bowed gracefully at the end of Vicarious, though still didn't sing it.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Christopher Robin of the Canadian band, Crystal Castles, played with Danny tonight.

Also, Maynard kept going on and on about how Stephen Hawking was in attendance. He was quite talkative and bowed gracefully at the end of Vicarious, though still didn't sing it.
08-05-2009, 08:49 PM

he also ate fries while singing Lateralus
And after the "intermission" he came back with only tight shorts on (which made me think there MIGHT be a different than usual song)
He was very animated tonight
Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

he also ate fries while singing Lateralus
And after the "intermission" he came back with only tight shorts on (which made me think there MIGHT be a different than usual song)
He was very animated tonight
OFFLINE |  
unclegill
08-05-2009, 08:50 PM

This show was a blast! I don't care what people are saying about the set list in other threads, I dug it quite a bit. The band seems to have great chemistry on stage and it was nice to experience that once again.

Hearing impaired, losing voice, sore back - good night :D
Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

This show was a blast! I don't care what people are saying about the set list in other threads, I dug it quite a bit. The band seems to have great chemistry on stage and it was nice to experience that once again.

Hearing impaired, losing voice, sore back - good night :D
OFFLINE |  
TaNaa
08-05-2009, 09:17 PM

Hmmm.. Where to begin.
I arrived when Tweak Bird were just finishing up, so I can't really say if they were any good, but that's not what we went there for, now is it.
As Maynard said, "holy shit, that's a lot of Canadians". I've never seen so many people at that venue, but then again this was the first time I was not in the pit there.. It was tough to get my shitty tickets as it is, so I won't complain.
Let me tell you, I was NOT excited to see TOOL this time around, mainly because of all the negative reviews they received here, and although I knew the set list by heart, overall I REALLLLY enjoyed the show. Yes MJK was barely visible during the show, but he is anti frontman, it was his position since forever, and I kinda like it to be honest. Yeah, he doesn't move as much anymore and barely does his kickass dance moves.. Oh well. Although, he was quite talkative and joked a lot, looks like he could smell the french fries from the stage, lol. I thought his performance was great, as was the performance of all the other guys, which includes the amazing work by Junior. It's always fun to watch Justin jam. :) The only complaint is that I really though Maynard ruined the beginning of Rosetta Stoned, you could barely hear anything behind the static. Also, he WAS screaming like a motherfucker during Rosetta Stoned. Aenima stole the show though imo. Maynard was REALLY into it. I disliked Lateralus because Christopher Robin is just plain bad. I'm not a drummer or anything, but it was painful to see him play alongside with Danny. Overall not their best performance, they are not hungry anymore, so that is to be expected, but it's definitely not as bad as people make it seem in their reviews. Either that or they just performed much better here in Canada. Peace.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Hmmm.. Where to begin.
I arrived when Tweak Bird were just finishing up, so I can't really say if they were any good, but that's not what we went there for, now is it.
As Maynard said, "holy shit, that's a lot of Canadians". I've never seen so many people at that venue, but then again this was the first time I was not in the pit there.. It was tough to get my shitty tickets as it is, so I won't complain.
Let me tell you, I was NOT excited to see TOOL this time around, mainly because of all the negative reviews they received here, and although I knew the set list by heart, overall I REALLLLY enjoyed the show. Yes MJK was barely visible during the show, but he is anti frontman, it was his position since forever, and I kinda like it to be honest. Yeah, he doesn't move as much anymore and barely does his kickass dance moves.. Oh well. Although, he was quite talkative and joked a lot, looks like he could smell the french fries from the stage, lol. I thought his performance was great, as was the performance of all the other guys, which includes the amazing work by Junior. It's always fun to watch Justin jam. :) The only complaint is that I really though Maynard ruined the beginning of Rosetta Stoned, you could barely hear anything behind the static. Also, he WAS screaming like a motherfucker during Rosetta Stoned. Aenima stole the show though imo. Maynard was REALLY into it. I disliked Lateralus because Christopher Robin is just plain bad. I'm not a drummer or anything, but it was painful to see him play alongside with Danny. Overall not their best performance, they are not hungry anymore, so that is to be expected, but it's definitely not as bad as people make it seem in their reviews. Either that or they just performed much better here in Canada. Peace.
OFFLINE |  
Semi-Fiction's Avatar Semi-Fiction
08-05-2009, 09:36 PM

Okay first off, wicked show by Tool. Seen them 7 times now, and this one was just as good as the other 5 I've seen post-10,000 days. Fantastic sound from the pit too... and not too many moshers. Flood was SO powerful with every open D chord for the intro... made me pretty happy. Maynard was funny with his french fries and his entertaining dancing during Jambi. He said some jokes later that I couldn't make out too well... oh well.

Second, Chris from Crystal Castles kinda ruined the feel I got from the rest of the show, which was perfection. Crystal Castles is a cool band, but it's not Tool... and it's pretty much dance music. This is why it didn't fit... he just doesn't play the same difficulty of music. It also didn't seem like he knew the song very well.

Also... Tweak Bird was awesome. The energy they had, and the tones they produced were wicked. I'd definitely see them play again. ...and this is coming from a guy who hated Big Business. So obviously it's not that I have a fetish for 2-piece bands. I hope they do well. They make me want to jam, and just make music that feels right and is fun to play.

Also met the guys from Circa Surivive in the pit. Really cool guys, whose next record will be produced by Bottrill.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Okay first off, wicked show by Tool. Seen them 7 times now, and this one was just as good as the other 5 I've seen post-10,000 days. Fantastic sound from the pit too... and not too many moshers. Flood was SO powerful with every open D chord for the intro... made me pretty happy. Maynard was funny with his french fries and his entertaining dancing during Jambi. He said some jokes later that I couldn't make out too well... oh well.

Second, Chris from Crystal Castles kinda ruined the feel I got from the rest of the show, which was perfection. Crystal Castles is a cool band, but it's not Tool... and it's pretty much dance music. This is why it didn't fit... he just doesn't play the same difficulty of music. It also didn't seem like he knew the song very well.

Also... Tweak Bird was awesome. The energy they had, and the tones they produced were wicked. I'd definitely see them play again. ...and this is coming from a guy who hated Big Business. So obviously it's not that I have a fetish for 2-piece bands. I hope they do well. They make me want to jam, and just make music that feels right and is fun to play.

Also met the guys from Circa Surivive in the pit. Really cool guys, whose next record will be produced by Bottrill.
OFFLINE |  
Underalus's Avatar Underalus
08-05-2009, 10:14 PM

Circa Survive? that's pretty cool.

I liked the show. Aenema was great.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67

Circa Survive? that's pretty cool.

I liked the show. Aenema was great.
08-05-2009, 10:59 PM

some dude played guitar on 46n2

dunno who but he was part of the stage crew
Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

OFFLINE |  
guelphtoolfan420
08-05-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge View Post

I noticed that as well!! I wonder what was up with Adam during that song??

Either way, phenomenal performance!! I mean was that an amazing show or what?
This is my third Tool concert, and I think it might just be the best one I have been to. Maynard was very talkative tonight and did an amazing job on those screams during Rosetta Stoned. By the way, FLOOD WAS AMAZING!! All band members were spot on, not much else to say about that.
By the way, I approached Junior and wished him luck tonight as well (not like he needed it) and shook his hand, that was one of the biggest highlights of the night.

This was my first time being 19 at a concert and I thoroughly enjoyed myself... I hope everyone else did too.

Last edited by guelphtoolfan420; 08-06-2009 at 06:46 PM..
Old 08-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

I noticed that as well!! I wonder what was up with Adam during that song??

Either way, phenomenal performance!! I mean was that an amazing show or what?
This is my third Tool concert, and I think it might just be the best one I have been to. Maynard was very talkative tonight and did an amazing job on those screams during Rosetta Stoned. By the way, FLOOD WAS AMAZING!! All band members were spot on, not much else to say about that.
By the way, I approached Junior and wished him luck tonight as well (not like he needed it) and shook his hand, that was one of the biggest highlights of the night.

This was my first time being 19 at a concert and I thoroughly enjoyed myself... I hope everyone else did too.

Last edited by guelphtoolfan420; 08-06-2009 at 06:46 PM..
OFFLINE |  
kanaduh
08-06-2009, 12:03 AM

Best show of the 2009 tour, hands down.
MJK's best night of the tour as well.

-Maynard came out during the lateralus duet almost naked once again, with a plate of french fries or cheese. He walked around the stage offerring food to the members. Then he sang the final minutes of Lateralus doing a 2001-2002 tour-era epic dance while holding a plate of food in his other hand. Absolutely epic.
-During 46+2 they had a guest guitar player for adam. He did a phenominal job as it sounded identical to the original. During the song Maynard moved his letter podium stepping block and put it in the middle of the stage for him to stand on. After the song when a techie went to put it back in front of maynards platform, MJK pointed at him to go back and move the block 1-2 inches to the left. Then 1-2 inches back to the right. Then to the left again... LOL. You had to see it. MJK fucking with his own stage crews was hilarious.
-New guest drummer for Lateralus who did a surprisingly good job
-New Rosetta Stoned visual for past few shows is awesome. As soon as the lasers start in Rosetta Stoned they are playing a game of asteroids on the backdrop behind the stage with lasers. It's fucking hilarious. "PLAYER 1 START".... asteroids... "PLAYER 2 START" ..asteroids.... "GAME OVER" .... "HIGH SCORE" ... all whilst Rosetta Stoned is rocking and lasers are in full force. Epic.
-I think the Molson Amphitheatre is an excellent venue for concerts, minus the ridiculously anal security

Thanks for the setlist and chat junior, much appreciated.

Tomorrow is going to be my first full day at home since july 18th.
Going to sleep 16 hours or more. Absolutely exhausted from travelling and concerts...

(PS: I didn't have time to write a review for the past few shows.... but I CAUGHT A FUCKING DRUMSTICK in Kingston!!! Seriously.... I still can't believe it. I bought my kingston ticket the second they went on sale so I was front row a few meters beside adam. Right after Vicarious as Danny got up I saw something flying towards me...I barely had time to react and his drumstick landed in both of my hands. I didn't even move. The fucking thing just landed in my hands.

I now believe in god.)
Old 08-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

Best show of the 2009 tour, hands down.
MJK's best night of the tour as well.

-Maynard came out during the lateralus duet almost naked once again, with a plate of french fries or cheese. He walked around the stage offerring food to the members. Then he sang the final minutes of Lateralus doing a 2001-2002 tour-era epic dance while holding a plate of food in his other hand. Absolutely epic.
-During 46+2 they had a guest guitar player for adam. He did a phenominal job as it sounded identical to the original. During the song Maynard moved his letter podium stepping block and put it in the middle of the stage for him to stand on. After the song when a techie went to put it back in front of maynards platform, MJK pointed at him to go back and move the block 1-2 inches to the left. Then 1-2 inches back to the right. Then to the left again... LOL. You had to see it. MJK fucking with his own stage crews was hilarious.
-New guest drummer for Lateralus who did a surprisingly good job
-New Rosetta Stoned visual for past few shows is awesome. As soon as the lasers start in Rosetta Stoned they are playing a game of asteroids on the backdrop behind the stage with lasers. It's fucking hilarious. "PLAYER 1 START".... asteroids... "PLAYER 2 START" ..asteroids.... "GAME OVER" .... "HIGH SCORE" ... all whilst Rosetta Stoned is rocking and lasers are in full force. Epic.
-I think the Molson Amphitheatre is an excellent venue for concerts, minus the ridiculously anal security

Thanks for the setlist and chat junior, much appreciated.

Tomorrow is going to be my first full day at home since july 18th.
Going to sleep 16 hours or more. Absolutely exhausted from travelling and concerts...

(PS: I didn't have time to write a review for the past few shows.... but I CAUGHT A FUCKING DRUMSTICK in Kingston!!! Seriously.... I still can't believe it. I bought my kingston ticket the second they went on sale so I was front row a few meters beside adam. Right after Vicarious as Danny got up I saw something flying towards me...I barely had time to react and his drumstick landed in both of my hands. I didn't even move. The fucking thing just landed in my hands.

I now believe in god.)
08-06-2009, 12:37 AM

holy hell what a concert. i dont even feel the need to post in the kingston thread, because this show was like 10x better. sound was incredible. vocals were crystal clear. definitely a different person behind the mic - we actually got the rosetta stoned scream! flood shifted my perspective on perfection. if only i didnt have to work in 2.5 hours.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:37 AM   #12
. Anthropophagite .

Bincount™: 553

holy hell what a concert. i dont even feel the need to post in the kingston thread, because this show was like 10x better. sound was incredible. vocals were crystal clear. definitely a different person behind the mic - we actually got the rosetta stoned scream! flood shifted my perspective on perfection. if only i didnt have to work in 2.5 hours.
OFFLINE |  
Eighteenth Eye's Avatar Eighteenth Eye
08-06-2009, 04:07 AM

Just a few things to add....

Maynard was hilarious tonight...he actually changed the lyrics to incorporate something about his "fries". (can't remember the exact line though)

Vicarious is not a good closer, many other songs were much better through the night. (Lateralus, Aenema, Flood...even Schism would have been a nice way to end the show)

FLOOD WAS INCREDIBLE....certainly the highlight of the night for me. I saw it on the last tour, but it just seemed to have something special tonight.
Amazing how many people in the crowd didn't know what song they were hearing.

Tweak Bird was pretty good....good musicians and nice sound from basically a 2 man band.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Just a few things to add....

Maynard was hilarious tonight...he actually changed the lyrics to incorporate something about his "fries". (can't remember the exact line though)

Vicarious is not a good closer, many other songs were much better through the night. (Lateralus, Aenema, Flood...even Schism would have been a nice way to end the show)

FLOOD WAS INCREDIBLE....certainly the highlight of the night for me. I saw it on the last tour, but it just seemed to have something special tonight.
Amazing how many people in the crowd didn't know what song they were hearing.

Tweak Bird was pretty good....good musicians and nice sound from basically a 2 man band.
OFFLINE |  
J A G's Avatar J A G
08-06-2009, 04:39 AM

Overall it was a fun show, but I'm pretty sure that's the last time for me.

Maynard definitely put on the weakest performance, while Danny was the backbone as usual. Although Maynard was very talkative, which was nice.

Jambi - There was some timing issues between Justin & Danny on this one. Pretty sloppy.
Stinkfist - Sounded okay. The band got tighter.
46&2 - I'm bored of this song.
Schism - This one too.
Lost Keys - At this point I was dreading how bad Maynard was gonna sound on RS
Rosetta Stoned - Maynard sounded brutal. Should've just let the band play.
Flood - Perhaps the best song of the evening. Sounded pretty damn good.
Aenema - Enjoyable.
Lateralus - The dual drumming made this a nice highlight.
Vicarious - This closer did nothing for me. I mentally checked out.

Also, the long drawn out interludes did nothing to enhance the performance imo. And the usual dark imagery and rotating skulls felt tired and old.

All in all a fun evening out. It was great spending the night with Mystictigress.

Last edited by J A G; 08-06-2009 at 05:21 AM..
Old 08-06-2009, 04:39 AM   #14

Bincount™: 7676

Overall it was a fun show, but I'm pretty sure that's the last time for me.

Maynard definitely put on the weakest performance, while Danny was the backbone as usual. Although Maynard was very talkative, which was nice.

Jambi - There was some timing issues between Justin & Danny on this one. Pretty sloppy.
Stinkfist - Sounded okay. The band got tighter.
46&2 - I'm bored of this song.
Schism - This one too.
Lost Keys - At this point I was dreading how bad Maynard was gonna sound on RS
Rosetta Stoned - Maynard sounded brutal. Should've just let the band play.
Flood - Perhaps the best song of the evening. Sounded pretty damn good.
Aenema - Enjoyable.
Lateralus - The dual drumming made this a nice highlight.
Vicarious - This closer did nothing for me. I mentally checked out.

Also, the long drawn out interludes did nothing to enhance the performance imo. And the usual dark imagery and rotating skulls felt tired and old.

All in all a fun evening out. It was great spending the night with Mystictigress.

Last edited by J A G; 08-06-2009 at 05:21 AM..
OFFLINE |  
ROCKMOUSE's Avatar ROCKMOUSE
08-06-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:

my mum and me pop said it look like steve niles, hard to tell from so far back, but the sound was great, could even hear maynard for a change, funny stuff, sad its winding down

Last edited by ROCKMOUSE; 08-06-2009 at 08:12 AM..
Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 AM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

my mum and me pop said it look like steve niles, hard to tell from so far back, but the sound was great, could even hear maynard for a change, funny stuff, sad its winding down

Last edited by ROCKMOUSE; 08-06-2009 at 08:12 AM..
OFFLINE |  
jdp's Avatar jdp
08-06-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKMOUSE View Post
my mum and me pop said it look like Tony Sans, hard to tell from so far back, but the sound was great, could even hear maynard for a change, funny stuff, sad its winding down
Not sure if anyone took a video of it, but I recall him saying "Steve.." someone, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #16
jdp
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKMOUSE View Post
my mum and me pop said it look like Tony Sans, hard to tell from so far back, but the sound was great, could even hear maynard for a change, funny stuff, sad its winding down
Not sure if anyone took a video of it, but I recall him saying "Steve.." someone, if I'm not mistaken.
08-06-2009, 06:05 AM

Ive seen tool 6 times in the last four years and this was one of my favourite shows. Maynard was very vocal tonight, sounded better then usual i thought, He faced the crowd almost the entire night and even thought I would love to hear something different the songs that they did play were truly amazing. At least we go Aenima this time becuase they've left it out the last few times around.

Tweekbird was a nice surprise. The sounds that those two guys were making were great. I thought it had a goold old john bonham feel to the druming. The saxophone was also a nice touch on a few songs but on to tool.

Maynardisms include "Thats alot of canadians" "I guess your all canadians" I want some frenchfries" Do you have some frenchfries? "Your all on frenchfries!" "Enjoy the druming circle jerk....Goodluck" He thankd steven hawking for playing guitar on 46&2 at the end of the show he said"Id play longer but Ive got a date with frenchfries"

We got the the extended version of stinkfist and a sped up version of schism which was crazy. Danny carey is a true monster on the fucken drums. I thought when the guy from tweekbird played with danny was pretty cool. Even though you could barely hear his drums and danny put him to shame anyways. All in all one of the best shows Ive seen.

Anybody else run into "It's me"?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:05 AM   #17

Ive seen tool 6 times in the last four years and this was one of my favourite shows. Maynard was very vocal tonight, sounded better then usual i thought, He faced the crowd almost the entire night and even thought I would love to hear something different the songs that they did play were truly amazing. At least we go Aenima this time becuase they've left it out the last few times around.

Tweekbird was a nice surprise. The sounds that those two guys were making were great. I thought it had a goold old john bonham feel to the druming. The saxophone was also a nice touch on a few songs but on to tool.

Maynardisms include "Thats alot of canadians" "I guess your all canadians" I want some frenchfries" Do you have some frenchfries? "Your all on frenchfries!" "Enjoy the druming circle jerk....Goodluck" He thankd steven hawking for playing guitar on 46&2 at the end of the show he said"Id play longer but Ive got a date with frenchfries"

We got the the extended version of stinkfist and a sped up version of schism which was crazy. Danny carey is a true monster on the fucken drums. I thought when the guy from tweekbird played with danny was pretty cool. Even though you could barely hear his drums and danny put him to shame anyways. All in all one of the best shows Ive seen.

Anybody else run into "It's me"?
08-06-2009, 06:32 AM

Best part - Maynard singing "I embrace my....french fries" as he held them like an actor holds the skull doing Macbeth.

Great show. Had prime seats - 202 4th row and it was great. Some mixing issues WRT vocals. My ears were still ringing when I got up this morning. As noted above, Maynard was really in to it and animated relative to his usual performance.

Vicarious sucks as a closer. When Maynard doesn't even sing the final chorus, it's time to drop the song. Guest drummer was fine, whatever, but would have rathered they not bother. Flood killed.

Unless they radically alter the set list, I'm probably done seeing them live.

Here is a review in the Sun - note that some dickweeds actually made shirts complaining about the set list like a bunch of retarded, self-absorbed spoiled fucktards. http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm...74756-sun.html

Last thing - I made the mistake of wearing my TA shirt. Nerd magnet from hell. I'm having a smoke and people are asking me how much fucking Karma I've got on the TA website? Also, some hammered chick screams out at me from across a sea of people, "WHAT'S YOUR HANDLE?". Cringe. What was I thinking?

Last edited by Bino; 08-06-2009 at 07:02 AM..
Old 08-06-2009, 06:32 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Best part - Maynard singing "I embrace my....french fries" as he held them like an actor holds the skull doing Macbeth.

Great show. Had prime seats - 202 4th row and it was great. Some mixing issues WRT vocals. My ears were still ringing when I got up this morning. As noted above, Maynard was really in to it and animated relative to his usual performance.

Vicarious sucks as a closer. When Maynard doesn't even sing the final chorus, it's time to drop the song. Guest drummer was fine, whatever, but would have rathered they not bother. Flood killed.

Unless they radically alter the set list, I'm probably done seeing them live.

Here is a review in the Sun - note that some dickweeds actually made shirts complaining about the set list like a bunch of retarded, self-absorbed spoiled fucktards. http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm...74756-sun.html

Last thing - I made the mistake of wearing my TA shirt. Nerd magnet from hell. I'm having a smoke and people are asking me how much fucking Karma I've got on the TA website? Also, some hammered chick screams out at me from across a sea of people, "WHAT'S YOUR HANDLE?". Cringe. What was I thinking?

Last edited by Bino; 08-06-2009 at 07:02 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Jalamanta
08-06-2009, 07:26 AM

awesome show...could have done without the extended breaks between the songs and thought the vocals were a bit off at times...but overall a solid performance...Aenema, Rosetta Stoned, and Flood in particular. (so pumped when I realized they were playing Flood)
I was close to the front with a great view, and not much doucebagery in the crowd from what I saw.
During Lost Keys (i think? ) all the lighters out was a nice moment
Old 08-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

awesome show...could have done without the extended breaks between the songs and thought the vocals were a bit off at times...but overall a solid performance...Aenema, Rosetta Stoned, and Flood in particular. (so pumped when I realized they were playing Flood)
I was close to the front with a great view, and not much doucebagery in the crowd from what I saw.
During Lost Keys (i think? ) all the lighters out was a nice moment
OFFLINE |  
Capt. Sith Park's Avatar Capt. Sith Park
08-06-2009, 07:31 AM

"Holy Shit! that's alot of Canadians!" - MJK (8.5.09)
It was jammed, I've never seen more ppl at the AMP

Yes, Danny is a Machine ... never let's down

Saw Adam's print-poster at the Merch stand (directly east of the 300's, beside the Subway karaoke)
Asked about the signed one, the guy told me to keep it under my hat but they would have some at 7:00pm (this was at about 6:45) so we waited, as were others - 2 lines were forming at either side of the stand. It was close to 8 by the time a guy showed up w/ a bunch of the signed ones - Got one! Awesome (will post L8r)

Check the TOOL forums and EvilBay (the dude at the first of the line where I was bought about 5 of them - C-notes flyin' everywhere)

Sounds like I should be glad I missed Tweak Brd

Overall I enjoyed the show ... MJK seemed to be in a decent mood

"There's ppl who defend your borders, There's ppl who work on your plumbing, but the ppl who make your life worth living are the ppl who celebrate the freedom 2 b able 2 express yourself and have enjoyment of song and dance" - MJK
Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

"Holy Shit! that's alot of Canadians!" - MJK (8.5.09)
It was jammed, I've never seen more ppl at the AMP

Yes, Danny is a Machine ... never let's down

Saw Adam's print-poster at the Merch stand (directly east of the 300's, beside the Subway karaoke)
Asked about the signed one, the guy told me to keep it under my hat but they would have some at 7:00pm (this was at about 6:45) so we waited, as were others - 2 lines were forming at either side of the stand. It was close to 8 by the time a guy showed up w/ a bunch of the signed ones - Got one! Awesome (will post L8r)

Check the TOOL forums and EvilBay (the dude at the first of the line where I was bought about 5 of them - C-notes flyin' everywhere)

Sounds like I should be glad I missed Tweak Brd

Overall I enjoyed the show ... MJK seemed to be in a decent mood

"There's ppl who defend your borders, There's ppl who work on your plumbing, but the ppl who make your life worth living are the ppl who celebrate the freedom 2 b able 2 express yourself and have enjoyment of song and dance" - MJK
OFFLINE |  
TOOL_Rules
08-06-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damballa View Post
Tonight's show was much the same as the seven previous ones I attended during the 10K Days tour/s. While I still love this band, I can't take another show with a near identical set list. I just can't. Oh, and they can ditch Tweakbird, or whetever the fuck they're called, as well. Their appearance on the tour is nothing but charity.

Edit: And also, whoever the guest guitarist was, sorry, I didn't pay $80 to hear him. You wanna wow me with a guest, bring out Jimmy Page, Jack White, or Steve Vai.
Sorry you were so disappointed with the show. The afterlife is likely going to be tough for you if you didn't think this show was awesome. Oh, and if you want to see Steve Vai, go see him. He puts Adam to sleep (Adam quote), so I don't think you'll ever see a guest Vai appearance with TOOL, though he is the world's best guitar player, IMO.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damballa View Post
Tonight's show was much the same as the seven previous ones I attended during the 10K Days tour/s. While I still love this band, I can't take another show with a near identical set list. I just can't. Oh, and they can ditch Tweakbird, or whetever the fuck they're called, as well. Their appearance on the tour is nothing but charity.

Edit: And also, whoever the guest guitarist was, sorry, I didn't pay $80 to hear him. You wanna wow me with a guest, bring out Jimmy Page, Jack White, or Steve Vai.
Sorry you were so disappointed with the show. The afterlife is likely going to be tough for you if you didn't think this show was awesome. Oh, and if you want to see Steve Vai, go see him. He puts Adam to sleep (Adam quote), so I don't think you'll ever see a guest Vai appearance with TOOL, though he is the world's best guitar player, IMO.
08-06-2009, 07:54 AM

Just a little note...

I was up really close. Maynard said it was Stephen/Steven Hawking playing the guitar during Forty-Six & 2. The guy wasn't actually playing the song, just pretending to be plugged in and strumming.

Adam was in the back, with a different set of pedals I guess, playing the song the way it's to be played. He came out after the end of the song with a massive smile on his face and "Stephen" left.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:54 AM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

Just a little note...

I was up really close. Maynard said it was Stephen/Steven Hawking playing the guitar during Forty-Six & 2. The guy wasn't actually playing the song, just pretending to be plugged in and strumming.

Adam was in the back, with a different set of pedals I guess, playing the song the way it's to be played. He came out after the end of the song with a massive smile on his face and "Stephen" left.
OFFLINE |  
ROCKMOUSE's Avatar ROCKMOUSE
08-06-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp View Post
niles

Last edited by marcus; 08-06-2009 at 10:46 AM..
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #23
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp View Post
niles

Last edited by marcus; 08-06-2009 at 10:46 AM..
OFFLINE |  
emzee
08-06-2009, 08:26 AM

I have to agree with most people here this was an amazing show. I was reading reviews on here and saw so many negative ones about the setlist, about the vocals, about security, about mjk being an ass. Luckily, TOTALLY THE OPPOSITE LAST NIGHT.

Just an amazing show front to back...anybody who has complaints has either seen enough tool shows to decipher or just plain doesnt know what they're talking about. 2nd time i've seen them first was the 10,000 days tour in lateralus. Which i enjoyed more simply because it was my first time and the venue and people were a lot more enthusiastic.

I also got lucky that i got my tickets for $60 (BELOW face value) and this was the day before the concert. What a show.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

I have to agree with most people here this was an amazing show. I was reading reviews on here and saw so many negative ones about the setlist, about the vocals, about security, about mjk being an ass. Luckily, TOTALLY THE OPPOSITE LAST NIGHT.

Just an amazing show front to back...anybody who has complaints has either seen enough tool shows to decipher or just plain doesnt know what they're talking about. 2nd time i've seen them first was the 10,000 days tour in lateralus. Which i enjoyed more simply because it was my first time and the venue and people were a lot more enthusiastic.

I also got lucky that i got my tickets for $60 (BELOW face value) and this was the day before the concert. What a show.
OFFLINE |  
anothertool
08-06-2009, 08:34 AM

I'm naturally blown away by the talent behind these boys and crew. I've seen Tool a few times but there is nothing like being apart of the moment, I'm so glad Toronto was on their short tour list. They poured their art and soul out tonight and I felt it. Danny is very much the center piece to whats going on I find and it was really amazing to have the two drummers going at it. It felt like a second heart at the center of the machine. Dual-core processor tool. At one point I turned to my companion and mentioned how the show felt like reverse hypnotism. The fancy light show and display monitors, designed to grasp our attention. Forcing us to 'get it'. Its a shame what it takes to wake people up. Someone spent a lot of time putting together these maps and signs, leading us out of the trap. However, the duty of life continues, we must all go back to eating french fries..right? Either way, I'm thankful and want to contribute to evolution.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm naturally blown away by the talent behind these boys and crew. I've seen Tool a few times but there is nothing like being apart of the moment, I'm so glad Toronto was on their short tour list. They poured their art and soul out tonight and I felt it. Danny is very much the center piece to whats going on I find and it was really amazing to have the two drummers going at it. It felt like a second heart at the center of the machine. Dual-core processor tool. At one point I turned to my companion and mentioned how the show felt like reverse hypnotism. The fancy light show and display monitors, designed to grasp our attention. Forcing us to 'get it'. Its a shame what it takes to wake people up. Someone spent a lot of time putting together these maps and signs, leading us out of the trap. However, the duty of life continues, we must all go back to eating french fries..right? Either way, I'm thankful and want to contribute to evolution.
OFFLINE |  
Matt1636
08-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Rock. Solid. Show.

4th Tool show, went with the girlfriend, had great seats in 201 Row N. We had an outstanding view, and more importantly, the most balanced sound I've ever heard at a concert. Kudos to the sound guys, because it was perfect. Loud, but not uncomfortable, and everyone came through clearly. Maynard's vocals were crystal clear and seated perfectly in the mix. Being a bass player myself, I could not have been more happy with how well I could hear Justin's playing and how fucking amazing his bass sounded. Love that gritty/clean tone.

I should address Tweak Bird for a moment. Heard mixed reactions to these guys, but I thought they were pretty darn good. They had a really jam-oriented, free-flowing feel with some pretty strong dynamics (though overall a heavy sound) as the songs progressed. I thought their guitarist produced some really cool tones, and their drummer was just plain dangerous. I really liked his approach to his playing and found myself laughing out loud a couple times when he'd pull something off that was totally badass. Subdued parts of songs were sometimes punctuated by these quick, absurd outbursts on the drums that I thought were hilarious. The flute/sax/etc player was a great addition and added an awesome dimension to their music. As far as the strange vocal style, ("Fourteen... spaceships") kind of thing, I thought they pulled it off and it definitely worked. I'm really glad I saw them. Conversely, the girlfriend couldn't stand them. Haha.

As far as Tool, all I can say is that like everyone else, I'd been hoping this tour would mean a different setlist; oh well. I went into this show knowing it was going to be relatively the same as I've already seen, and knowing that, I could just relax and enjoy a set of great songs. And that's what it was. I thought they nailed every song; the musicianship was just frighteningly tight, but as usual, looked and sounded effortless. The breakdown in Jambi had me grinning from ear to ear. Lost Keys and the added background track really threw me in a different place, and Rosetta Stoned stole the show for me. That song grooves in a heavier and cooler way than I thought music could. When the Asteroids video game visuals started during the drum and bass jam... it's too great for words. Flood was perfection, Aenima and Lateralus were epic, Vicarious was great, though it's not my favorite closer by a long shot.

Adam was stoic as always, and his playing sounded great.

Danny's not human; he's not. What else is new. I think his drumkit has its own zip code. Never fails to make me laugh when they unveil it.

Justin was a blast to watch play. That guy has never failed to look like there's no place he'd rather be - in great spirits, ran out on stage when they first came out with his hood up like a boxer. The whole crowd can feel that guy's enthusiasm and it really made the show for me.

I was prepared for a subdued, half checked-out Maynard based on what people have been saying, but he was the opposite. Best vocal performance I've heard to date, great interaction with the crowd, and he was REALLY into the show. Lots of Aenima-era style dancing and general hilarity.

Toronto crowd was great, overall. No laser pointers or shit thrown at the stage and no problems with anyone where I was sitting. Security was a pain in the ass; distracted me more than once at points where I REALLY didn't want to be distracted, including the finale of Lateralus, pushing past me through my row for some unbeknownst reason. If there's not a fight going on, stay the fuck out of the way.

Awesome, awesome show that was more than worth the money, time, and miles spent to get there. Tool SHOWED UP to Toronto, and they (all of them) DELIVERED. Thank you fellas for a very special night. Sad it's over; I'll never forget it; time to go create something positive.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

Rock. Solid. Show.

4th Tool show, went with the girlfriend, had great seats in 201 Row N. We had an outstanding view, and more importantly, the most balanced sound I've ever heard at a concert. Kudos to the sound guys, because it was perfect. Loud, but not uncomfortable, and everyone came through clearly. Maynard's vocals were crystal clear and seated perfectly in the mix. Being a bass player myself, I could not have been more happy with how well I could hear Justin's playing and how fucking amazing his bass sounded. Love that gritty/clean tone.

I should address Tweak Bird for a moment. Heard mixed reactions to these guys, but I thought they were pretty darn good. They had a really jam-oriented, free-flowing feel with some pretty strong dynamics (though overall a heavy sound) as the songs progressed. I thought their guitarist produced some really cool tones, and their drummer was just plain dangerous. I really liked his approach to his playing and found myself laughing out loud a couple times when he'd pull something off that was totally badass. Subdued parts of songs were sometimes punctuated by these quick, absurd outbursts on the drums that I thought were hilarious. The flute/sax/etc player was a great addition and added an awesome dimension to their music. As far as the strange vocal style, ("Fourteen... spaceships") kind of thing, I thought they pulled it off and it definitely worked. I'm really glad I saw them. Conversely, the girlfriend couldn't stand them. Haha.

As far as Tool, all I can say is that like everyone else, I'd been hoping this tour would mean a different setlist; oh well. I went into this show knowing it was going to be relatively the same as I've already seen, and knowing that, I could just relax and enjoy a set of great songs. And that's what it was. I thought they nailed every song; the musicianship was just frighteningly tight, but as usual, looked and sounded effortless. The breakdown in Jambi had me grinning from ear to ear. Lost Keys and the added background track really threw me in a different place, and Rosetta Stoned stole the show for me. That song grooves in a heavier and cooler way than I thought music could. When the Asteroids video game visuals started during the drum and bass jam... it's too great for words. Flood was perfection, Aenima and Lateralus were epic, Vicarious was great, though it's not my favorite closer by a long shot.

Adam was stoic as always, and his playing sounded great.

Danny's not human; he's not. What else is new. I think his drumkit has its own zip code. Never fails to make me laugh when they unveil it.

Justin was a blast to watch play. That guy has never failed to look like there's no place he'd rather be - in great spirits, ran out on stage when they first came out with his hood up like a boxer. The whole crowd can feel that guy's enthusiasm and it really made the show for me.

I was prepared for a subdued, half checked-out Maynard based on what people have been saying, but he was the opposite. Best vocal performance I've heard to date, great interaction with the crowd, and he was REALLY into the show. Lots of Aenima-era style dancing and general hilarity.

Toronto crowd was great, overall. No laser pointers or shit thrown at the stage and no problems with anyone where I was sitting. Security was a pain in the ass; distracted me more than once at points where I REALLY didn't want to be distracted, including the finale of Lateralus, pushing past me through my row for some unbeknownst reason. If there's not a fight going on, stay the fuck out of the way.

Awesome, awesome show that was more than worth the money, time, and miles spent to get there. Tool SHOWED UP to Toronto, and they (all of them) DELIVERED. Thank you fellas for a very special night. Sad it's over; I'll never forget it; time to go create something positive.
OFFLINE |  
sianspheric's Avatar sianspheric
08-06-2009, 09:44 AM

Show was meh in comparison to 2007 (or 2002, 2006 or 2001 also)

I got a floor seat off a scalper for $15 once Jambi had started.

Last edited by sianspheric; 08-06-2009 at 09:46 AM..
Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #27
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174

Show was meh in comparison to 2007 (or 2002, 2006 or 2001 also)

I got a floor seat off a scalper for $15 once Jambi had started.

Last edited by sianspheric; 08-06-2009 at 09:46 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Scott_Buckingham
08-06-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Fiction View Post
Just a little note...

His name is Jeff - and he's Adam's guitar tech. Had a few drinks with him on the Monday before the Kingston show - I'm the doorman at a bar, and he was the firt guy to walk in. Had a real nice time chatting with him - he even put me on Tool's guestlist for the Kingston show - really nice guy - and awesome to see him rock out 46&2 :)

Also, pretty sure it wasn't Adam playing. It's not lip synching here guys, it's a live show. Doesn`t work that way. .
Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Just a little note...

His name is Jeff - and he's Adam's guitar tech. Had a few drinks with him on the Monday before the Kingston show - I'm the doorman at a bar, and he was the firt guy to walk in. Had a real nice time chatting with him - he even put me on Tool's guestlist for the Kingston show - really nice guy - and awesome to see him rock out 46&2 :)

Also, pretty sure it wasn't Adam playing. It's not lip synching here guys, it's a live show. Doesn`t work that way. .
OFFLINE |  
kanaduh
08-06-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Just a little note...

Adam was in the back, with a different set of pedals I guess, playing the song the way it's to be played.
....eh?

This surprised me.

I'm not convinced.

Anyone else have input?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #29
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

Quote:
Just a little note...

Adam was in the back, with a different set of pedals I guess, playing the song the way it's to be played.
....eh?

This surprised me.

I'm not convinced.

Anyone else have input?
08-06-2009, 12:04 PM

"Rock IS the cure for quadriplegics" Sums up the entire show, 201, section S.

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 08-06-2009 at 01:03 PM..
Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 9

"Rock IS the cure for quadriplegics" Sums up the entire show, 201, section S.

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 08-06-2009 at 01:03 PM..
OFFLINE |  
El Guapo
08-06-2009, 01:02 PM

Well it's been 12 yrs since my first Tool concert. This being the 4th time.

I am by no means a Tool purist, just a fan of what they stand for and represent with total honesty.

So when I go out to a show I dont go into it with critical senses, just pure absorbing the experience.

I guess I cant say I've ever been let down by a show. It seems as each time I see them, the show is more profound.

I have a question to ask everyone, and wouldnt mind any opinions.

The most moving part of the show for me was about 1/3 of the way into the set during one of the interludes between songs.

Synths are moving along creating a soundtrack atmosphere, the band is in transition. This goes on for about at least 5 minutes. All the screens are are pulsating with vibrant pinks and purples.

Then certain screens start revealing the profile and silhouette of Bill Hicks in his motions for a few minutes then the images start to drift off into colors. During this time the entire place conducts a lighter vigil for Hicks.

I was moved to tears, as it was something I dont think I've ever caught at a show before.

Did anyone catch that or was that me just clobbered off too much fungus.

ps. - sup VAC!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

Well it's been 12 yrs since my first Tool concert. This being the 4th time.

I am by no means a Tool purist, just a fan of what they stand for and represent with total honesty.

So when I go out to a show I dont go into it with critical senses, just pure absorbing the experience.

I guess I cant say I've ever been let down by a show. It seems as each time I see them, the show is more profound.

I have a question to ask everyone, and wouldnt mind any opinions.

The most moving part of the show for me was about 1/3 of the way into the set during one of the interludes between songs.

Synths are moving along creating a soundtrack atmosphere, the band is in transition. This goes on for about at least 5 minutes. All the screens are are pulsating with vibrant pinks and purples.

Then certain screens start revealing the profile and silhouette of Bill Hicks in his motions for a few minutes then the images start to drift off into colors. During this time the entire place conducts a lighter vigil for Hicks.

I was moved to tears, as it was something I dont think I've ever caught at a show before.

Did anyone catch that or was that me just clobbered off too much fungus.

ps. - sup VAC!
OFFLINE |  
BWyze
08-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Second time seeing Tool (Hamilton 07/07 the other), both times floors. Wasn't blown away like at Copps, floor was REALLY dead, too many people standing around with their arms crossed or their cell phones in the air to get pics. Irritates me to no end why people feel the need to take shitty cellphone pics instead of just enjoying the damn show. Maybe that's just me...

I thought the intermission into Lost Keys really killed the momentum of the show though it picked back up during Aenema. Absolutely loved the solo in Rosetta Stoned, perfect yet again. Flood kicked ass once again though I preferred the Hamilton performance a bit more than this one.

Like Semi-Fiction I swear I heard Maynard say that was Stephen Hawking playing guitar during Forty Six & 2, then added the "Rock IS the cure for quadriplegics" bit afterwards. The Maynardisms were great this time around.

Any of the other Cambridge/Guelph/K-W guys have a pain in the ass time traveling back from the venue? Delays on the Gardiner, 427 and 401 meant it was 4 by the time I got in last night...really killed my good mood after the show.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Second time seeing Tool (Hamilton 07/07 the other), both times floors. Wasn't blown away like at Copps, floor was REALLY dead, too many people standing around with their arms crossed or their cell phones in the air to get pics. Irritates me to no end why people feel the need to take shitty cellphone pics instead of just enjoying the damn show. Maybe that's just me...

I thought the intermission into Lost Keys really killed the momentum of the show though it picked back up during Aenema. Absolutely loved the solo in Rosetta Stoned, perfect yet again. Flood kicked ass once again though I preferred the Hamilton performance a bit more than this one.

Like Semi-Fiction I swear I heard Maynard say that was Stephen Hawking playing guitar during Forty Six & 2, then added the "Rock IS the cure for quadriplegics" bit afterwards. The Maynardisms were great this time around.

Any of the other Cambridge/Guelph/K-W guys have a pain in the ass time traveling back from the venue? Delays on the Gardiner, 427 and 401 meant it was 4 by the time I got in last night...really killed my good mood after the show.
OFFLINE |  
shadow8's Avatar shadow8
08-06-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Buckingham View Post

It wasn't Adam's guitar tech. It was Steve Niles, a horror comic book writer.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Buckingham View Post

It wasn't Adam's guitar tech. It was Steve Niles, a horror comic book writer.
OFFLINE |  
enook
08-06-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
....eh?

This surprised me.

I'm not convinced.

Anyone else have input?
I am fairly certain that MJK was poking fun at Stephen HARPER, the Prime Minister of Canada. I hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
....eh?

This surprised me.

I'm not convinced.

Anyone else have input?
I am fairly certain that MJK was poking fun at Stephen HARPER, the Prime Minister of Canada. I hope this helps.
OFFLINE |  
Bino
08-06-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enook View Post
Makes no sense.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by enook View Post
Makes no sense.
08-06-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWyze View Post

Oh my GOD that traffic was brutal! I got back to Waterloo a little after 2 and I bolted to my car the second Vicarious ended and was there early enough my car was right near the exit....and STILL took 3+ hours to get home! It's a good thing it was such an insanely good concert that even the traffic didn't ruin my evening.

I'm not generally a reviewer...but I'll write something short.

I thought the show was amazing...and I've seen every Toronto/Hamilton show since 10,000 days...(ie. many similar setlists) and had a fantastic time at every one. Great music is the bottom line.

I'm not convinced it was Adam playing during 46&2, it was the first time during the show that I really noticed they weren't quite as tight as I'd expect...and I didn't realize it was a different person playing the guitar till after...suddenly made sense.

I was in row D of 302...and for a huge section of the show I was the ONLY one standing in the first 8 rows or so!!! I couldn't believe it... It didn't take away the moment from me too much...Tool is just too good, but I really like it when people around me are as into it as I am...creates an electricity. Plus it prevented the cover I needed to smoke my mid-show joint. You'll never get me to sit down at a Tool show...at any rock show really, it sucks the life out of it.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #36
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWyze View Post

Oh my GOD that traffic was brutal! I got back to Waterloo a little after 2 and I bolted to my car the second Vicarious ended and was there early enough my car was right near the exit....and STILL took 3+ hours to get home! It's a good thing it was such an insanely good concert that even the traffic didn't ruin my evening.

I'm not generally a reviewer...but I'll write something short.

I thought the show was amazing...and I've seen every Toronto/Hamilton show since 10,000 days...(ie. many similar setlists) and had a fantastic time at every one. Great music is the bottom line.

I'm not convinced it was Adam playing during 46&2, it was the first time during the show that I really noticed they weren't quite as tight as I'd expect...and I didn't realize it was a different person playing the guitar till after...suddenly made sense.

I was in row D of 302...and for a huge section of the show I was the ONLY one standing in the first 8 rows or so!!! I couldn't believe it... It didn't take away the moment from me too much...Tool is just too good, but I really like it when people around me are as into it as I am...creates an electricity. Plus it prevented the cover I needed to smoke my mid-show joint. You'll never get me to sit down at a Tool show...at any rock show really, it sucks the life out of it.
OFFLINE |  
Kevindust29's Avatar Kevindust29
08-06-2009, 04:00 PM

That's the Tool I know and love. In Kingston I was sober and battling idiot moshers, so I just tried to concentrate on watching the band play. It was great but I was not completely blown away, maybe I just wasn't in the right headspace. In Toronto I was not sober and was not battling anything (202 row J.) I was blown away. What an awesome venue...perfect sound, including the elusive MJK...me turning around and looking up the hill, sucking it in.

Again, met and hoisted pints with some cool people in and out of Ontario Place.

Toronto was an epic show. Then again, could've been the fungus.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #37
Level 2 - Poster

That's the Tool I know and love. In Kingston I was sober and battling idiot moshers, so I just tried to concentrate on watching the band play. It was great but I was not completely blown away, maybe I just wasn't in the right headspace. In Toronto I was not sober and was not battling anything (202 row J.) I was blown away. What an awesome venue...perfect sound, including the elusive MJK...me turning around and looking up the hill, sucking it in.

Again, met and hoisted pints with some cool people in and out of Ontario Place.

Toronto was an epic show. Then again, could've been the fungus.
08-06-2009, 04:08 PM

What can I say? Show was amazing last night, as always. I don't understand those people on here who continuously complain about the setlists. Sure, I too would love to see a different set-list, but it's not going to happen, so get over it, please. The light show is too closely incorporated with the setlist, they're not just gonna go change it all willy nilly!

I, unlike the rest of the "haters" on here, went prepared ... I checked the setlists on here, and knew what to expect before-hand. Though I did joke around with my buddy that they would switch out flood for opiate, and throw in No Quarter,I didn't actually expect this.
I loved the show, just like every other time I've seen em [Palace of Auburn Hills, MI 09-22-06 - Bonnaroo, TN 06-15-07 and DTE Energy, MI 07-03-07 and now Molson Ampitheatre, Toronto, CA 08-05-09]. The show last night was kinda special for me, it was my Birthday gift to myself.

First time I've seen maynard strip down to his boxers ... and with french fries in his hand, haha. Some of the Maynardisms were quite amusing, starting with "Wow, that's a lot of Canadians. It's pretty much all of you, isn't it?" and also referring to the drum dual as a "circle jerk".

Now, to the worst part of the evening! The fucking traffic leaving! #1: No cars moved for about a half hour from the parking lot, and then all of a sudden everything moves like butter! WTF, thye decided after a half hour that they should direct traffic?
#2: Construction at night, generally a good idea. But the traffic that creates combined with concert traffic, GOD DAMNIT!!! We sat in traffic on the 427 for an hour, and moved 2.5 miles - sorry I'm a michigander, don't care to convert to metric.
Now, I do have a relatively descent perception of Canada and candians alike, but after that shit, I'm sorry guys, I fucking hate your country... till the next time I'm forced to travel there for a show. haha

Well I will be seeing the boys again tomorrow night in Cincinatti, so I'll post more of my lovely opinions of the show then. Peace, Love and Tool!

Last edited by bizeekizay; 08-06-2009 at 04:17 PM..
Old 08-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

What can I say? Show was amazing last night, as always. I don't understand those people on here who continuously complain about the setlists. Sure, I too would love to see a different set-list, but it's not going to happen, so get over it, please. The light show is too closely incorporated with the setlist, they're not just gonna go change it all willy nilly!

I, unlike the rest of the "haters" on here, went prepared ... I checked the setlists on here, and knew what to expect before-hand. Though I did joke around with my buddy that they would switch out flood for opiate, and throw in No Quarter,I didn't actually expect this.
I loved the show, just like every other time I've seen em [Palace of Auburn Hills, MI 09-22-06 - Bonnaroo, TN 06-15-07 and DTE Energy, MI 07-03-07 and now Molson Ampitheatre, Toronto, CA 08-05-09]. The show last night was kinda special for me, it was my Birthday gift to myself.

First time I've seen maynard strip down to his boxers ... and with french fries in his hand, haha. Some of the Maynardisms were quite amusing, starting with "Wow, that's a lot of Canadians. It's pretty much all of you, isn't it?" and also referring to the drum dual as a "circle jerk".

Now, to the worst part of the evening! The fucking traffic leaving! #1: No cars moved for about a half hour from the parking lot, and then all of a sudden everything moves like butter! WTF, thye decided after a half hour that they should direct traffic?
#2: Construction at night, generally a good idea. But the traffic that creates combined with concert traffic, GOD DAMNIT!!! We sat in traffic on the 427 for an hour, and moved 2.5 miles - sorry I'm a michigander, don't care to convert to metric.
Now, I do have a relatively descent perception of Canada and candians alike, but after that shit, I'm sorry guys, I fucking hate your country... till the next time I'm forced to travel there for a show. haha

Well I will be seeing the boys again tomorrow night in Cincinatti, so I'll post more of my lovely opinions of the show then. Peace, Love and Tool!

Last edited by bizeekizay; 08-06-2009 at 04:17 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Stumble's Avatar Stumble
08-06-2009, 04:19 PM

that guest guitarist tripped me right out. one second adam was there and the next he wasn't. i was against the rail dead centre and i still didn't notice. the dude was most certainly playing that song for any of the nay sayers out there. sounded spot on for what it was. scared the shit out of me though cus i thought adam got fucked up or something and he wouldn't return.

the show was incredible , maynard seemed in his usual "i'm too good for this shit" attitude. when he dances he really seems like he was dancing because people want him to do it. very tongue in cheek if you ask me. wasn't too impressed that maynard didn't stick around with the other guys at the end to say thanks to the crowd but i can't say that wasn't expected.

an awesome moment was when tool just stood in a line and adsorbed the audiences cheers, totally sick. also the lighters during lost keys was pretty awesome as well.
the pit at the front was quite violent at times especially at the front. i thought i would have to bow out after how intense people were getting over stinkfist. luckily my better judgement kicked in and i took the pounding abuse on my back. an extra special souvenir from 100 sweaty tool fans.

i've seen this show 3 times now but its still fucking incredible. i mean this tour in all rights shouldn't have happened to begin with so for me its all icing on the cake. i could watch these dudes bust these songs out all day, i just hope next time they return they have a new album with a new message so they can incorporate some of the old gems into the setlist structure. all my buddies have never seen tool before, one guy had almost never heard of them and they were all blown away by that monsterous performance. Tool has really created something special with this show so it really doesn't bother me that they don't flinch with the list. to me its like a piece of live theatre almost.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

that guest guitarist tripped me right out. one second adam was there and the next he wasn't. i was against the rail dead centre and i still didn't notice. the dude was most certainly playing that song for any of the nay sayers out there. sounded spot on for what it was. scared the shit out of me though cus i thought adam got fucked up or something and he wouldn't return.

the show was incredible , maynard seemed in his usual "i'm too good for this shit" attitude. when he dances he really seems like he was dancing because people want him to do it. very tongue in cheek if you ask me. wasn't too impressed that maynard didn't stick around with the other guys at the end to say thanks to the crowd but i can't say that wasn't expected.

an awesome moment was when tool just stood in a line and adsorbed the audiences cheers, totally sick. also the lighters during lost keys was pretty awesome as well.
the pit at the front was quite violent at times especially at the front. i thought i would have to bow out after how intense people were getting over stinkfist. luckily my better judgement kicked in and i took the pounding abuse on my back. an extra special souvenir from 100 sweaty tool fans.

i've seen this show 3 times now but its still fucking incredible. i mean this tour in all rights shouldn't have happened to begin with so for me its all icing on the cake. i could watch these dudes bust these songs out all day, i just hope next time they return they have a new album with a new message so they can incorporate some of the old gems into the setlist structure. all my buddies have never seen tool before, one guy had almost never heard of them and they were all blown away by that monsterous performance. Tool has really created something special with this show so it really doesn't bother me that they don't flinch with the list. to me its like a piece of live theatre almost.
08-06-2009, 04:57 PM

p.s. Did anyone else catch soundcheck? I distinctly heard No Quarter.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #40
Level 2 - Poster

p.s. Did anyone else catch soundcheck? I distinctly heard No Quarter.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply