opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 01-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 51
!DEEP interpretation of the lateralus cd!!!

[first- please be aware that errors may be at hand. so whatever i say here i suggest you do some research to prove me right or wrong. This is the first time im actually trying to explain into depth so bare with me. A lot of you are going to have trouble following me because this is only a summary, but maybe you will read books to better understand if you are interested.]

ok im going to try and make this as short as possible. ill start by refreshing everyone of the 13- chakra connection with the 13 tracks off of lateralus:

13 tracks - 13 chakras
1) The grudge - survival
2) Eon Blue Apocalypse – sex
3) The Patient – will-ego
4) Mantra – Solar Plexus
5) Schism – Heart (Christ)
6) Parabol – Heart (personal)
7) Parabola - Throat
8) Ticks and Leeches - Chin
9) Lateralus - Nose
10) Disposition – 3rd Eye
11) Reflection - 45°
12) Triad - Crown
13) Faaip de Oiad – Godhead

A chakra is an energy point within and sometimes outside the body that has a specific quality. 13 chakra system is referring to the 12 notes in a scale plus the 13th which is the next octave. It is the goal of all life to reach the godhead (the 13th step). U can see this taking place at the end of the parabola video, if u don’t know already. Here is a picture of the 8 main chakras in our body http://www.darkstar1.co.uk/8chakras1.jpg this picture isnt perfect but gives u an idea of where they r. I wasn’t able to find a perfect picture of the 13- chakras in our body.

Taken from this, im going to have to show you how some of the songs fit into the 8 chakras system. (may have errors?). this is referring to the 8 white keys of the piano.

1) The grudge – survival 1
2) Eon Blue Apocalypse – sex 2
3) The Patient – will-ego 3\
b/t 3 &4 is a half step (no black key inb/t)
4) Schism – Heart (Christ) 4/
-------parabol?------ this is the change (ill get to this)
5) Parabola – Throat 5
6) Disposition – 3rd Eye 6
7) Triad – Crown 7\
b/t 7 & 8 is a half step
8) Faaip de Oiad – Godhead 8/

these chakras can be internal in a chain in our body and can be external in a form of a star tetrahedron (which if spinning would be a merkaba) . This is a picture of the chakras around our body (2D) http://www.webpageexperience.com/400/man.jpg. This is a picture of it in 3D, only this picture is numbering the chakras (do(1), re(2), mi(3), fa(4), so(5), la(6), ti(7), do(8)) http://www.chamanaurbana.com/StarTet..._and_Music.gif. You will also notice that there is a female tetrahedron which is pointing down and that there is a male tetrahedron which is pointing up. now im not going to into depth of how those 8 tracks relate to the star tetrahedron because its kinda hard to explain and i might confuse you. but u will c in that picture how they travel in it.

Lateralus in is relation to the astrological 8 chakras:
1) The Grudge- Saturn- structure, limitation
2) Eon Blue Apocalypse- Jupiter- expansiveness, emotionality
3) The patient- Mars- force, strength, control
4) Schism- Venus- harmony and love
5) Parabola- Mercury- Thinking and communication
6) Disposition- Moon- reflective awareness, memory
7) Triad- Sun- Active awareness, higher will
8) Faaip de oaid- [new octave]- The transcendent, inspiration

Lateralus in relation to Alchemy
1) The Grudge- Saturn- LEAD
2) Eon Blue Apocalypse- Jupiter- TIN
3) The patient- Mars- IRON
4) Schism- Venus- COPPER
5) Parabola- Mercury- MERCURY
6) Disposition- Moon- SILVER
7) Triad- Sun- GOLD

What does this explain????? Brief explanation
1)The Grudge- from this information we find that the grudge is the very first chakra. I believe (I haven’t studied too far into qabalah) the grudge is also the 10th sephiroth (lowest) while Triad (the crown (highest)) is the 1st in the tree of life. choose one or ten. Wear the grudge like a crown (triad/7th chakra). Water or ocean refers to Jupiter or the 2nd chakra “Let the ocean take and transmutate this cold and fated anchor”. Stone = earth element of the 1st chakra. Turn lead (the grudge) into gold (Triad/the crown). Work your way from lead to gold.

2) Eon Blue Apocalypse- cant find a good relation yet

3) The Patient- working on it

4) Schism-see schism-unity consciousness http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p...35#post1649133. one of the deepest most genius tool song.

5) Parabola- still working on a better explanation. you are probaly not going to understand this unless u know how the tracks relate to the star tetrahedron. but parabola is the change to the male tetrahedron. such a change in polarity makes it seem and sound that parabol/parabola would be the first 2 tracks when really its the start to the second half of the octave giving parabola a very inviting introduction to the male tetrahedron from the female tetrahedron.

6) Disposition- this is interesting. This is the moon that Maynard is talking about in reflection. The moon reflects light. “a million light reflections pass over me” could he be referring to the 45° (track reflection) that’s in between the third eye (moon/disposition) and crown (sun/triad)? “this light is not my own” the reflected light is coming from the sun (crown). The moon is telling him that there is a place called the sun and that “Its source is bright and endless she resuscitates the hopeless without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting”…. So now u know that the sun is where u should be going next… theres more to this.

7)Triad- this is the crown, the sun… this is where pure consciousness is in its most expressive form.

8) faaip de oaid- where the next dimension is/next octave

co-ink-E-dink!!!!???? i really dont think so

ONE MORE THING
7 planets? 7 alchemy metal? Does that sound familiar to you? That’s what the septagram symbolizes ~refresh~ watch the video right b/t parabol and parabola when the guy cuts open the apple. U will c a seven pointed start. I bet u can relate the chakras to the 7 days of the week too.

Speaking of the apple, you will c that there are 6 seeds at one point. Don’t the six seeds look like the middle of the seed of life http://www.evans-lambert.com/Crystal...0of%20life.jpg? Notice the relation of the seed of life to the star tetrahedron

theres connections to quabalah but i dont know it well enough to say anything yet.

ANYONE ELSE THAT KNOWS CHAKRAS PLEASE CORRECT ME OF ERRORS. i dont want to accidently lead anyone in the wrong direction.

-------------------------------------------------
taken from the following:
the ancient secret of the flower of life v.1&2 by drunvalo melchizedek
alchemy: ancient and modern by herbert redgrove
the key to the true quabbalah by franz bardon
http://www.innerself.com/Astrology/chakras.htm
...i think thats it

Last edited by ]v[edusa; 01-07-2007 at 03:45 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 14
Re: !DEEP interpretation of the lateralus cd!!!

Whatever you believe.............I already have my beliefs....good job in the effort i give you respect.

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 259

Wrong. Lateralus is actually a veiled tribute to Barry Manilow.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

Good theory, i can tell you spen alot of time thinking this out, some of it makes snese but most of is just way over my head, o well nice try i guess
Old 01-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

It just doesn't seem to fit very well.... sorta like when you jam puzzle pieces together. I mean, I really dont see any concrete connections between the songs and subjects in which you are talking about, this might just be because of a lack of detail in your post, but I really have to doubt your explanations because they are so disputable.

I have to give you a hand for going to such lengths to try to make these connections, but sometimes people get carried away when they think theyre on to something.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Lowe View Post
people always think we're joking don't they?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 4207

hmm

....then God is not dead.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Lowe View Post
~sigh~ dont just say something without explaining or giving proof. i would absolutely love it if you could prove me wrong, that way im not viewing lateralus the wrong way for the rest of my life. i deny your hypothesis til i hear the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloHimself View Post
Good theory, i can tell you spen alot of time thinking this out, some of it makes snese but most of is just way over my head, o well nice try i guess
around 10 min to think about it after i saw the connection with the chakras.... it actually took me longer to type it. please tell me what u dont understand and ill try and explain it better so u know what im trying to say!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.112358 View Post
It just doesn't seem to fit very well.... sorta like when you jam puzzle pieces together. I mean, I really dont see any concrete connections between the songs and subjects in which you are talking about, this might just be because of a lack of detail in your post, but I really have to doubt your explanations because they are so disputable.

I have to give you a hand for going to such lengths to try to make these connections, but sometimes people get carried away when they think theyre on to something.
can u atleast read my connection with my hypothesis to the grudge and disposition/reflection?..... im sorry i tryed to make this as short as possible. i really didnt want to put hours into making pages and pages of explanation. but if u dont understand something then please let me know which part and ill explain into more depth. by the way, i didnt even get carried away with it. i just thought of the idea and i typed it out, with the help of some books that i already read before hand.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllvllledusa View Post

can u atleast read my connection with my hypothesis to the grudge and disposition/reflection?..... im sorry i tryed to make this as short as possible. i really didnt want to put hours into making pages and pages of explanation. but if u dont understand something then please let me know which part and ill explain into more depth. by the way, i didnt even get carried away with it. i just thought of the idea and i typed it out, with the help of some books that i already read before hand.
I read it over three times, and its not that I dont see the connections your making, but rather that these connections seem general at best. Maynard has already said a few times that the songs of each individual album have recurring themes through them - but he has also said that the songs are individual entities, which implies they probably are not connected as intimately as you believe. But maybe you'll prove me wrong one day, but for now, I'm not sold.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:48 AM   #10
Hym
Level 4 - Thinker

You're basing this entire theory on the fact that there are 13 tracks on the album. Considering 13 is a pretty common amount of tracks for a full length album to contain, it is ridiculous to base an entire theory on this, especially when you consider the fact that TOOL originally intended Disposition, Reflection and Triad to be one single track, and if that had gone as planned then there would be 11 tracks and your whole theory would go down the shitter. But hey, I'm sure you could use the number 11 to come up with something equally as silly. No offence man, but your interpretation isn't deep, it's just unecessarily detailed.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:13 AM   #11
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

in·ter·pre·ta·tion
–noun
1. the act of interpreting; elucidation; explication
2. an explanation of the meaning of another's artistic or creative work

Do any of you self proclaimed tool fans ever listen to what Maynard says about the lyrics to his songs? Over and over again he says the interpretation of the music is up to the listener. Tool means something different to all of us. It all effects us in different ways depending on our personal life experience. This is what makes Tool so extraordinary. Stop bashing someone for their personal interpretation of the album. Maybe instead share your interpretation. Id rather read someone else's perspective on the album than hear you pick apart someone else's. A lot of people on the forums need to grow up and learn to respect other peoples points of view.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #12
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hym View Post
You're basing this entire theory on the fact that there are 13 tracks on the album. Considering 13 is a pretty common amount of tracks for a full length album to contain, it is ridiculous to base an entire theory on this, especially when you consider the fact that TOOL originally intended Disposition, Reflection and Triad to be one single track, and if that had gone as planned then there would be 11 tracks and your whole theory would go down the shitter. But hey, I'm sure you could use the number 11 to come up with something equally as silly. No offence man, but your interpretation isn't deep, it's just unecessarily detailed.
can u pleaaaaasssee point out the part where i said that disposition, reflection, and triad were one track???? if anything, i pointed a relationship from disposition to reflection to triad. i clearly stated that they r NOT one and the same into one track. they are steps. from step 10 you must go through reflection to get to step 12...

if you want to understand my interpretation better on these 3 tracks then go here
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p...50#post1657950
Old 01-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #13
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

they are all love songs
Old 01-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 145

The songs are all a tribute to my balls. Fool.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
can u pleaaaaasssee point out the part where i said that disposition, reflection, and triad were one track???? if anything, i pointed a relationship from disposition to reflection to triad. i clearly stated that they r NOT one and the same into one track. they are steps. from step 10 you must go through reflection to get to step 12...

if you want to understand my interpretation better on these 3 tracks then go here
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p...50#post1657950
No he's saying they were originally recorded as and with the intention of being one track, but they decided to split it into three AFTER they were finished.

And in resposne to the post above the one I just quoted, I didnt mean to sound rude or mean or anything like that... I was just giving my interpretation of his interpretation, I was not trying to force a veto on the proposal, so if my previous posts showed signs of hostility they really werent intended to and I apologize.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #16
Banned.

maybe disposition/ reflection/ triad were some of the first songs they made for the album. if thats the case then my hypothesis is that they originally may have wanted to make a track about the pineal gland as a whole, but then could have decided to go "hey what the hell lets just make the whole album based on the rest of the chakras" and therefore had to split the pineal gland into its 3 chakras that its made out of. i dont know what happened BUT ~~~either way....,. it doesnt matter if D/R/T were one track or three, it still fits in as the whole pineal gland

the grudge sure as fuck sounds like the first step, schism does sound like it should be the heart chakra, and disposition/ reflection/ triad do sound like the steps in the pineal gland

watch parabol/parabola and tell me that they are showing the chakra system just for the fuck of it. ~~why would they make a video like that that apparently has no referrence to what they are saying???

god damn do i have a story for the parabol/parabola video thats connected to this. let me just say that there is a huge connection with the video and the creation/evolution of life, the seed of life, the flower of life, sacred geometry, and of course the chakras. the symbolizm is outstanding!!! the band is shoving it in your face!!

why would tool make their art in the lateralus album with chakras when ~apparently~ the tracks have nothing to do with it?

and dont worry jon.112358, i never see your posts as signs of hostility and mine are never intended that way either.

~~~either way....,. it doesnt matter if D/R/T were one track or three, it still fits in as the whole pineal gland

Last edited by ]v[edusa; 01-09-2007 at 11:32 PM..
Old 01-15-2007, 06:00 PM   #17
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

c'mon, fellas ...please be unwilling to counter the entire thread if every question isn't answered. these ideas are meant to be discussed and elaborated. i absolutely feel that tool had created lateralus to be a "guide" or "follow-along" to the EVER-related 13 chakra system. this is your tool. and to be honest (from where i'm at), it's very intimate ...but don't be afraid to accept it. and especially don't be afraid to research something on your own. the more, the merrier ...and the closer we'll get to understanding something. i certainly don't know enough about meditation and chakras to comment about one thing over another, but there are a few intriguing coincidences between the two properties. most of the following is regurgitated... i really have nothing new to offer (sorry?).

0:00
first of all... the track listing within the lateralus liners, as with most other applications, tends to read from top to bottom, but i think the sound at the beginning of the grudge was inserted for the sole purpose of indicating another direction altogether. could they have displayed the tracks from 13 down to 1? well, sure. but how many assholes would've been pissed off with that? (meh, that's a weak stance, i know - well, whatever) ...they want you all to think about and delve into their music ...this is what seperates them from most. and, no, i'm not suggesting that people aren't thinking or delving, but i know for a fact that maynard understands his spirituality more than most - and he needs us to feel it, too. i know this. you should all know this. we're not gonna get there if the guy just tells us to "feel it". furthermore, everything he touches turns to gold, so why not follow him (as suggested in opiate)? look, tool wants their efforts to be experienced as intended (no shit) and maybe (just MAYBE) lateralus isn't to be felt from top to bottom. start-to-finish may actually have us climbing UP through the track listing. kinda like: WELCOME TO LATERALUS, GOING UP? most of us thought that it was to indicate ascension via some sort of mechanical lift (which creates another direction for interpretation in and of itself, eh?). ya gotta love it (and if you don't, i certainly wish you were here). what does this have to do with the 13 chakra system? it has to do with an upward movement of 13 levels ..that's all.

first step
the grudge = survival

third step
the patient = will/ego chakra.

fourth step
mantra = solar plexus

10/11/12
so, disposition/reflection/triad was originally one track to be titled "resolution", no? hmmmmm... now, why would tool mention that if it weren't meant to be considered? answer: they wouldn't, so consider it. if we are NOT supposed to understand the 13 chakra system throughout the album, then we can certainly agree that these three tracks must "resolve" into faaip de oiad (the voice of god). i'm not sure i've seen a single theory on this one. however, if we are supposed to incorporate the 13 chakra system, then these three tracks would fit into something called the "pineal access". that is: third eye (disposition), 45° (reflection), and crown (triad) - as previously mentioned. they are specifically grouped at the 10/11/12 marks, respectively.

thirteenth step
faaip de oiad ("the voice of god" in enochian) = godhead

"let go"
not to mention "thirteenth step", the album by a perfect circle (which i think maynard had something to do with?). "an addiction", i know - don't pounce on me too quickly with that one. the addiction is this, our current condition (mentality and perception), and we're supposed to "let go" (the grudge). how many times does maynard mention "let go"? try it. i've even seen the same shit in the movies... "hitting bottom isn't a weekend retreat. it's not a goddamn seminar. stop trying to control everything and just let go! LET GO!" ...the grudge much? please tell me someone else made this connection...
Old 01-22-2007, 12:23 AM   #18
Level 10 - Vehement

did you see that?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:52 AM   #19
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 4207

Bump it again because everyone cares.

....then God is not dead.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:16 AM   #20
Level 10 - Vehement

oh, i apologize...

"uhhhhhhhhhhhh, i think it's about drug abuse"
Old 01-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #21
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
c'mon, fellas ...please be unwilling to counter the entire thread if every question isn't answered. these ideas are meant to be discussed and elaborated. i absolutely feel that tool had created lateralus to be a "guide" or "follow-along" to the EVER-related 13 chakra system. this is your tool. and to be honest (from where i'm at), it's very intimate ...but don't be afraid to accept it. and especially don't be afraid to research something on your own. the more, the merrier ...and the closer we'll get to understanding something. i certainly don't know enough about meditation and chakras to comment about one thing over another, but there are a few intriguing coincidences between the two properties. most of the following is regurgitated... i really have nothing new to offer (sorry?).

0:00
first of all... the track listing within the lateralus liners, as with most other applications, tends to read from top to bottom, but i think the sound at the beginning of the grudge was inserted for the sole purpose of indicating another direction altogether. could they have displayed the tracks from 13 down to 1? well, sure. but how many assholes would've been pissed off with that? (meh, that's a weak stance, i know - well, whatever) ...they want you all to think about and delve into their music ...this is what seperates them from most. and, no, i'm not suggesting that people aren't thinking or delving, but i know for a fact that maynard understands his spirituality more than most - and he needs us to feel it, too. i know this. you should all know this. we're not gonna get there if the guy just tells us to "feel it". furthermore, everything he touches turns to gold, so why not follow him (as suggested in opiate)? look, tool wants their efforts to be experienced as intended (no shit) and maybe (just MAYBE) lateralus isn't to be felt from top to bottom. start-to-finish may actually have us climbing UP through the track listing. kinda like: WELCOME TO LATERALUS, GOING UP? most of us thought that it was to indicate ascension via some sort of mechanical lift (which creates another direction for interpretation in and of itself, eh?). ya gotta love it (and if you don't, i certainly wish you were here). what does this have to do with the 13 chakra system? it has to do with an upward movement of 13 levels ..that's all.

first step
the grudge = survival

third step
the patient = will/ego chakra.

fourth step
mantra = solar plexus

10/11/12
so, disposition/reflection/triad was originally one track to be titled "resolution", no? hmmmmm... now, why would tool mention that if it weren't meant to be considered? answer: they wouldn't, so consider it. if we are NOT supposed to understand the 13 chakra system throughout the album, then we can certainly agree that these three tracks must "resolve" into faaip de oiad (the voice of god). i'm not sure i've seen a single theory on this one. however, if we are supposed to incorporate the 13 chakra system, then these three tracks would fit into something called the "pineal access". that is: third eye (disposition), 45° (reflection), and crown (triad) - as previously mentioned. they are specifically grouped at the 10/11/12 marks, respectively.

thirteenth step
faaip de oiad ("the voice of god" in enochian) = godhead

"let go"
not to mention "thirteenth step", the album by a perfect circle (which i think maynard had something to do with?). "an addiction", i know - don't pounce on me too quickly with that one. the addiction is this, our current condition (mentality and perception), and we're supposed to "let go" (the grudge). how many times does maynard mention "let go"? try it. i've even seen the same shit in the movies... "hitting bottom isn't a weekend retreat. it's not a goddamn seminar. stop trying to control everything and just let go! LET GO!" ...the grudge much? please tell me someone else made this connection...
your awesome thanks!!! im glad someone sees something and not ignoring the obvious.

i like how u said "welcome to lateralus, going up?" how come i didnt think about that? that just helps this hypothesis a little more. we are all suppost to allow ourselves to spiral up our chakras.

yah and sorry about earlier i referred d/r/t as being the "pineal gland" but youre right its the "pineal access".

and yes "thirteenth step"... like what else could maynrad be referring to???

hes throwing these little clues everywhere...but maynards not going to "spoonfeed" it to everyone.

all the answers are there you just have to put the pieces together.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:42 PM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
not to mention "thirteenth step", the album by a perfect circle (which i think maynard had something to do with?). "an addiction", i know - don't pounce on me too quickly with that one. the addiction is this, our current condition (mentality and perception), and we're supposed to "let go" (the grudge).
Quote:
and yes "thirteenth step"... like what else could maynrad be referring to???
Its good to know that in my lack of comprehending this thus far, I still managed to make the same connection with you both on thirteenth step.
Thank you for stating that the addiction is not to drugs like so many people (and the lovely internet writers) all like to assume.
Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. ~Albert Einstein
Old 01-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #23
Banned.

im glad some people are seeing somewhat of a connection here. atleast with the 13th step connections.

i said this is another thread but i thought i would add it here too:

b/t the 12th step and the 13th step (or next octave) there is a space or a void (nothingness) just like theres a space b/t tracks 12 and 13. you have to pass through the void to get to the 13th step.... or u have to wait through the space to finally hear faaip de oiad (13th track)...
Old 02-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

I think you're missing the point. Yes, the album does indeed reference chakras and all that; it's just not meant to be taken literally. It's like saying Animal Farm is a novel about animals. They're using these symbols as a vehicle to express and explain something else.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #25
Level 10 - Vehement

we need to identify before applying though.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:33 AM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

lllvllledusa
because of people like you I love coming to this forum)))) I always learn something. thank you for providing this interesting information. I'm catching up on this but there is still a long way to go
Old 04-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #27
Level 2 - Poster

Very interesting. Although I think maynard gave us the instructions for the deepest
understanding of lateralus possible:

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.

let go
Old 04-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #28
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeorin View Post
Very interesting. Although I think maynard gave us the instructions for the deepest

let go
*sigh*

Ok this line can mean a few things. first off, it could have been referring to mind/body dualism, secondly it could have to do with you only using your left hemisphere of the brain and decreasing your right brain functioning. This means that it could be targetted to those too "scientfic minded" people. The people that dedicate their life to science and math and think nothing of spirituality.

I feel sorry for any of those that try to not analyze anything because of that line. Not only do we rarely use our right brains now, but if you keep yourself from analyzing things and life then you are actually using less of your left brain then the average thinker which could make you worse off then the dedicated left brained thinker.

Tool actually analyzed a lot of books to make this album. They even referred to themselves as being geeks because of how much they actually read for it.

If you haven't noticed yet the song Lateralus is a very spiritual song with a lot of feeling triggering the right brain to function nicely but the fibonacci sequence is all over it triggering the analytical left brain too.

My interpretations come from both hemispheres of the brain, not only the left side.

I was actually able to connect the album to the chakra system even better in the past few months, but I'm not ready to talk about it or type it out right now. I just had the most deepest spiritual experiences of my life this weekend, I can barely type right now, it was that intense. I personally can't understand why people can't see this album gradually turning from lead into gold...
Old 04-23-2007, 08:29 AM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

Those are some good points. However I think the deepest understanding possible
is without analysing. Just 'cause you don't analyse doesn't mean you don't use your left brain. ;)

The reason why is a bit complicated, but goes something like this:

When you are realised, enlightened, etc., you have no thoughts, because having a thought implies a knower, meaning ego, meaning you are not enlightened. Thus
hanging on to an analysis during lateralus won't take you as far as just letting go would. Enlightened ones use both sides of their brains, and to a much larger degree than anyone else.

Even in the most rational (left-brain) spiritual traditions (such as the Gelugpa's of the Tibetan/Vajrayana tradition and the Jhana Yoga of the Hindus) the rational mind is used to attain realisation, however before this is done, the rational mind must still be trancended (many times, actually). You cross the ocean of samsara, but when you reach the shore, you leave the boat behind. This is true for any path, because attachment to the path will hold you back.

If you *actually, really* let go during lateralus you will find that it is arranged *perfectly* (in terms of musical notes, rhythms, chakras, colours, everything), and that everything in it is in it's particular place for a good reason. But that doesn't mean it needs to be analysed. Nobody ever proved that the world could be fully explained by the rational mind, in fact I'm almost convinced it's impossible. You see, when you listen to Lateralus and just let go, you will find that because of the way it is arranged, it is a perfect metaphor for reality, where also everything is in it's place (and time) for a good reason, but not to be thought about or analysed, just experienced. In the here and the now, you know?

Why? As always, an experiential (direct) truth is more powerful than a
conceptual (intellectual truth) because you've actually seen it. Even more, you WERE it. In the end, your experiences are the only thing that you can know 100% were real (or at least as real as anything is going to get), not your thoughts.

Last edited by zeorin; 04-23-2007 at 08:40 AM..
Old 04-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #30
Banned.

Quote:
Those are some good points. However I think the deepest understanding possible
is without analysing. Just 'cause you don't analyse doesn't mean you don't use your left brain. ;)

The reason why is a bit complicated, but goes something like this:

When you are realised, enlightened, etc., you have no thoughts, because having a thought implies a knower, meaning ego, meaning you are not enlightened. Thus
hanging on to an analysis during lateralus won't take you as far as just letting go would. Enlightened ones use both sides of their brains, and to a much larger degree than anyone else.

Even in the most rational (left-brain) spiritual traditions (such as the Gelugpa's of the Tibetan/Vajrayana tradition and the Jhana Yoga of the Hindus) the rational mind is used to attain realisation, however before this is done, the rational mind must still be trancended (many times, actually). You cross the ocean of samsara, but when you reach the shore, you leave the boat behind. This is true for any path, because attachment to the path will hold you back.

If you *actually, really* let go during lateralus you will find that it is arranged *perfectly* (in terms of musical notes, rhythms, chakras, colours, everything), and that everything in it is in it's particular place for a good reason. But that doesn't mean it needs to be analysed. Nobody ever proved that the world could be fully explained by the rational mind, in fact I'm almost convinced it's impossible. You see, when you listen to Lateralus and just let go, you will find that because of the way it is arranged, it is a perfect metaphor for reality, where also everything is in it's place (and time) for a good reason, but not to be thought about or analysed, just experienced. In the here and the now, you know?

conceptual (intellectual truth) because you've actually seen it. Even more, you WERE it. In the end, your experiences are the only thing that you can know 100% were real (or at least as real as anything is going to get), not your thoughts.
Did I say that analysis is the only thing that the left brain does?... * insert ;)

Thats nice that you believe that and everything, but I'm sticking with however way I want to take the album, thank you....

I went to a FOL Workshop where I learned how to activate my Merkaba. The Merkaba is a very both brained meditation and the best way of explaining it is so similar to the song Lateralus.

You know, I'm a bit upset that people think I over analyze but I don't. I experience a lot of what tool has to say and I read a lot of topics that Maynard sang about before I even became a Tool fan.

Analysis is so God damn important, if you stop analyzing things in a reality that tries to control and think for you then how do you know you aren't getting tricked without analyzing religions, society, etc?

Blocking analysis from your mind will only make road blocks for both the left and right sides of the brain, but if you feel like not analyzing anymore then I'm not stopping you. Every part of our brains are important including the dark stuff. Nothing should be blocked although using too much of one part could be bad.

Sure you shouldnt really be analyzing while meditating, but it doesnt mean that you should stop analyzing all together.

I don't know how I would have activated the Merkaba without analyzing Sacred Geometry. I'm very thankful for analysis. Scientists stick with the facts, true believer stick with faith, but why is it that most people have to be on one side or the other? Why not both?

Let me go back to that line for a second. He says "Over Analyzing" not "Analyzing". Thats the biggest misunderstanding Ive seen so far on this site. Also we don't know if hes saying "over analyzing" or "over-analyzing".

This has always quested me though, why is it that hes says, "separates the body from the mind" and not, "separates the mind from the body"? If that line is infact about losing your mind then why didnt he say that the mind was getting separated from the body? The way he is actually saying this is that the mind is still there but the body isnt. Like his body is mortal and his spirit is eternal. Something he talked about in Parabola I believe?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #31
Baa
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5

I agree. Eon Blue Apocalypse makes me 'gasm every time. Sexy song, that one.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:00 AM   #32
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
This has always quested me though, why is it that hes says, "separates the body from the mind" and not, "separates the mind from the body"? If that line is infact about losing your mind then why didnt he say that the mind was getting separated from the body? The way he is actually saying this is that the mind is still there but the body isnt. Like his body is mortal and his spirit is eternal. Something he talked about in Parabola I believe?
At first I read this and thought "wow! never looked at it like that before" but then I realized what the next lines are: "WIthering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind" This seems like a bad thing to me, not talking about the eternal spirit, but speaking negatively about the separation. I like the direction you're heading... still not sure what to make of the chorus. Is it negative, sarcastic or spiritual?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #33
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbiz View Post
At first I read this and thought "wow! never looked at it like that before" but then I realized what the next lines are: "WIthering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind" This seems like a bad thing to me, not talking about the eternal spirit, but speaking negatively about the separation. I like the direction you're heading... still not sure what to make of the chorus. Is it negative, sarcastic or spiritual?
*sighs* Yah, I try to not bother with that line. Its probably all three.

d(-_-)b~~~

It just annoys me that people sometimes reply to my posts with that line. The line does make the most sense that the band is talking about people who only really bother with their left brain. These are "scientific-minded" dependant people. There is nothing wrong with relying things on science, logic, and analysis, but right brain functions should not be ignored. The line is not really referring to analyzing books, songs, poetry, life, etc because there is nothing wrong with that. Its about balancing the mind so that you are using both hemispheres of the brain equally instead using too much of the left brain and less of your right brain. So everyone stop thinking that the line is telling you to stop analyzing cause its not saying that!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #34
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24

Quote:

I was actually able to connect the album to the chakra system even better in the past few months, but I'm not ready to talk about it or type it out right now. I just had the most deepest spiritual experiences of my life this weekend, I can barely type right now, it was that intense. I personally can't understand why people can't see this album gradually turning from lead into gold...
I appreciate your interpretations and would like to hear any more correlations you have made.
And so what you're saying when you say 'I understand it intellectually, but I don't get it intuitively,' or 'I don't feel it in my bones,' is that you understand it in the sense of being able to repeat a form of words.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #35
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

Great interpretation but I think you are "swinging on the spiral" a little too much...
Old 06-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #36
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

lllvllledusa, great thread. great posts. I'm intrigued that you are able to pull out what we can't. Your points are very interesting (as they always are).
Old 07-13-2007, 05:37 AM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

let go
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read that line to mean that by over thinking and over analyzing you can free your mind from your body, that the mind will be able to think/analyze beyond the constraints of the body. And the use of the superlative "over" is perhaps a reference not to some ideal degree of thinking/analyzing, but to the accepted degree. That if you think/analyze beyond what other would consider reasonable, then you will be free to understand it beyond their understanding.

I suppose I agree in essence with lllvllledusa though I consider my interpretation more philosophical than spiritual.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:03 AM   #38
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
That isn't really true though. There are numerous examples of people experiencing things, and then time takes its toll on the memory banks, and they can no longer remember that experience. Thus... you can never know an experience, post-experience. So there is nothing that a human can 100% know as truth. Truth is a dangerous concept.

Cool thread though btw. I like that people are still discussing an album that is nearly seven years old.

Today... after years of not being able to get the rhythms, I was able to play Lateralus. The whole song, within 10 minutes. As if I have grown as an instrumentalist, and now I'm able to comprehend their songwriting.

I think life is no different to that example. Bring on the crown baby.

Last edited by LeMarchand; 07-30-2007 at 11:41 AM..
Old 10-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #39

Bincount™: 391

I have been reading ]v[edusa's posts and I have enjoyed a lot and gain a lot of different views on Tool's songs. So I have a huge respect for ]v[edusa posts and it is a pity that she has not been active for a year now. However, I think explaining along hindiusm ( chakras ) and Jung's theories ( archetypes ) is not wrong, but I just cant see it in Lateralus album ( and 10kd ).
Old 10-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #40
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by PivPiv View Post
It is really sad to loose a good member like ]v[edusa

this was a really good read.
She had some great interpretations, even though some were far too mystical or holistic to make any sense.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: