Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
OCDT's Avatar OCDT
02-07-2010, 11:40 AM

So, we've all heard the rumours about Adam collaborating on an album with Robert Fripp, Maynard very busy at the moment with a seemingly endless Puscifer tour and also his wine, Danny drumming just about everywhere, and Justin consuming copious amounts of drugs in a teepee in his garden.

What does all this hold for Tool? Will they eventually all get back together and finish off one last album, or will they drift further and further apart on different projects?

A recent Maynard quotation:

"I can’t sit still, so when those guys hesitate, it takes us so long to do stuff, and it’s like a snake eating its own tail situation, ’cause then I get distracted and I go off and do a thing, and then I get blamed for not being around to do the (TOOL) thing," he said. "But nothing was getting done when I was standing there, so I got bored and left. It’s just an endless cycle."

Seems like a lot of anger and frustration there, and from what I can see, it doesn't seem like anyone in the band is particularly close at the moment, to say the least.

I've heard that Tool are 'legally obliged' to put out one last album. Does anyone know if this is true, or can they just throw in the towel any time they like?
Old 02-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Tool break up?

So, we've all heard the rumours about Adam collaborating on an album with Robert Fripp, Maynard very busy at the moment with a seemingly endless Puscifer tour and also his wine, Danny drumming just about everywhere, and Justin consuming copious amounts of drugs in a teepee in his garden.

What does all this hold for Tool? Will they eventually all get back together and finish off one last album, or will they drift further and further apart on different projects?

A recent Maynard quotation:

"I can’t sit still, so when those guys hesitate, it takes us so long to do stuff, and it’s like a snake eating its own tail situation, ’cause then I get distracted and I go off and do a thing, and then I get blamed for not being around to do the (TOOL) thing," he said. "But nothing was getting done when I was standing there, so I got bored and left. It’s just an endless cycle."

Seems like a lot of anger and frustration there, and from what I can see, it doesn't seem like anyone in the band is particularly close at the moment, to say the least.

I've heard that Tool are 'legally obliged' to put out one last album. Does anyone know if this is true, or can they just throw in the towel any time they like?
02-07-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDT View Post
This rumor is wellknown. I don't know in what way this will end up. Still i hope there will at least be one more album.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635
Re: Tool break up?

Quote:
This rumor is wellknown. I don't know in what way this will end up. Still i hope there will at least be one more album.
02-07-2010, 12:58 PM

The thing is, they usually do this. After the Ænima tour ended in '98, the next three years featured one live performance (Coachella 99) and one physical release (Salival). After the Lateralus tour ended in '02, the next four years just gave us the Schism and Parabola DVD's.

After the 10,000 Days tour ended in '07, they came back for a mini-tour in '09. and they released the Vicarious DVD. So I think, four years after their last album, we're right on par with the normal Tool release tactics of the last decade or so.

I look at them being busy as a good thing. They're doing other stuff but it's still musically related. As long as they're all still playing music, there will still be Tool. Keep in mind Tool was never known for a snappy release schedule--even their first and second LP's were 3 years apart.

Also I have a feeling their next album(s) will be quite different, stylistically--10,000 Days was already a step in that direction.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

The thing is, they usually do this. After the Ænima tour ended in '98, the next three years featured one live performance (Coachella 99) and one physical release (Salival). After the Lateralus tour ended in '02, the next four years just gave us the Schism and Parabola DVD's.

After the 10,000 Days tour ended in '07, they came back for a mini-tour in '09. and they released the Vicarious DVD. So I think, four years after their last album, we're right on par with the normal Tool release tactics of the last decade or so.

I look at them being busy as a good thing. They're doing other stuff but it's still musically related. As long as they're all still playing music, there will still be Tool. Keep in mind Tool was never known for a snappy release schedule--even their first and second LP's were 3 years apart.

Also I have a feeling their next album(s) will be quite different, stylistically--10,000 Days was already a step in that direction.
02-07-2010, 01:08 PM

i think saying anger and frustration between band members is reading into it. just bad timing imo. they all know it will happen when it will happen. i dont see them "breaking up" or having a fair well tour, or anything that would define them like that. i imagine they will release music until they cant get to that space that musicians talk about.

at the same time i wonder, maybe they are trying to lay to bed wut we know as TOOL.

then danny can start his super group called danny carrey and his drum jackoffery
Old 02-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

i think saying anger and frustration between band members is reading into it. just bad timing imo. they all know it will happen when it will happen. i dont see them "breaking up" or having a fair well tour, or anything that would define them like that. i imagine they will release music until they cant get to that space that musicians talk about.

at the same time i wonder, maybe they are trying to lay to bed wut we know as TOOL.

then danny can start his super group called danny carrey and his drum jackoffery
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
02-07-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
If you refer to Wings/10K as the way they will sound on the upcoming album, i think this is good news :)
Old 02-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Jedi Master

Quote:
If you refer to Wings/10K as the way they will sound on the upcoming album, i think this is good news :)
02-07-2010, 02:59 PM

I have a feeling they'll go in the direction of Wings, or Intension/Right in Two. or both.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
Level 11 - Clamorous

I have a feeling they'll go in the direction of Wings, or Intension/Right in Two. or both.
02-07-2010, 03:34 PM

I also think the 'Wings direction' is quite likely, and a good direction for them to go in.

"Adam and Justin started playing what I BELIEVE was part of a new Tool arrangement (NOT to be played on this tour), with what little I heard being somewhat reminiscent of “Wings”, having some fairly complex chord progressions" -BMB

I hope they can pull it together for one final album in the Tool saga- sounds like they have got quite a lot of bits written, they just havn't got round to making it into a cohesive piece yet.

But I don't see why they are so incapable of just agreeing on a date to all get together, and seeing it through. It's not like they won't have 15 odd years for side projects when Tool is through... they certainly know how to make great music, and they certainly know how to be VERY annoying.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

I also think the 'Wings direction' is quite likely, and a good direction for them to go in.

"Adam and Justin started playing what I BELIEVE was part of a new Tool arrangement (NOT to be played on this tour), with what little I heard being somewhat reminiscent of “Wings”, having some fairly complex chord progressions" -BMB

I hope they can pull it together for one final album in the Tool saga- sounds like they have got quite a lot of bits written, they just havn't got round to making it into a cohesive piece yet.

But I don't see why they are so incapable of just agreeing on a date to all get together, and seeing it through. It's not like they won't have 15 odd years for side projects when Tool is through... they certainly know how to make great music, and they certainly know how to be VERY annoying.
02-07-2010, 06:57 PM

the real question is

so what?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
On Probation

Bincount™: 7922

the real question is

so what?
poudge's Avatar poudge
02-07-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamminsalmon View Post
idanny can start his super group called danny carrey and his drum jackoffery

sounds good to me
Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
idanny can start his super group called danny carrey and his drum jackoffery

sounds good to me
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
02-07-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crincled View Post
the real question is

so what?
wait without anticipation

and then listen without automatically assuming they're already irrelevant

and that's it I guess.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by crincled View Post
the real question is

so what?

and that's it I guess.
02-08-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:

It'll be alright, I mean they'll release another album this summer, or fall, or next winter, or next spring. I don't see their bing one released this spring because of puscifer and I don't see it being later than spring 2011 becuase of their schedule. The summer could only amount to more writing sessions, but I know for a fact that they were in the studio last fall. I wasn't there, but they were supposed to play in my hometown when Danny fucked up his bicep and contractually owe this place a show and keep blowing them off because it's a small town in the south. Last fall I was told to keep it quiet about them playing a show there and apparently it was scheduled, but I was told, "they were in the studio and couldn't make it." was the excuse.

All of this sounds like bullshit and it very well maybe, but it's better than nothing, right?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
TOD
Banned.

Bincount™: 310

Quote:

It'll be alright, I mean they'll release another album this summer, or fall, or next winter, or next spring. I don't see their bing one released this spring because of puscifer and I don't see it being later than spring 2011 becuase of their schedule. The summer could only amount to more writing sessions, but I know for a fact that they were in the studio last fall. I wasn't there, but they were supposed to play in my hometown when Danny fucked up his bicep and contractually owe this place a show and keep blowing them off because it's a small town in the south. Last fall I was told to keep it quiet about them playing a show there and apparently it was scheduled, but I was told, "they were in the studio and couldn't make it." was the excuse.

All of this sounds like bullshit and it very well maybe, but it's better than nothing, right?
crincled
02-08-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:

and that's it I guess.
this.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:06 AM   #12
On Probation

Bincount™: 7922

Quote:

and that's it I guess.
this.
gonzo's Avatar gonzo
02-08-2010, 05:32 AM

yes. i'll just wait and listen. there is nothing more to do. this^^
Old 02-08-2010, 05:32 AM   #13
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

yes. i'll just wait and listen. there is nothing more to do. this^^
02-08-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOD View Post
Last fall I was told to keep it quiet about them playing a show there and apparently it was scheduled, but I was told, "they were in the studio and couldn't make it." was the excuse.

If they were in the studio recording, that would mean they already have a producer for the next album, and they would probably announce that (which they havnt).

So the stuff about them being in the studio is most likely BS
Old 02-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Last fall I was told to keep it quiet about them playing a show there and apparently it was scheduled, but I was told, "they were in the studio and couldn't make it." was the excuse.

If they were in the studio recording, that would mean they already have a producer for the next album, and they would probably announce that (which they havnt).

02-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
but I know for a fact that they were in the studio last fall.

"they were in the studio and couldn't make it." was the excuse.

You stated that you knew this as a fact, but just because you were told they were in the studio doesn't make it a fact.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
but I know for a fact that they were in the studio last fall.

"they were in the studio and couldn't make it." was the excuse.

You stated that you knew this as a fact, but just because you were told they were in the studio doesn't make it a fact.
02-08-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
Look, here's how you know it's bullshit.

Someone claimed Adam Jones could play a complex chord progression.

Case closed.
drop D solves all problems with chord progression
Old 02-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:

Case closed.
drop D solves all problems with chord progression
02-08-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral Primate View Post
I was joking, Aristotle. Did you finish reading the post?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #17
TOD
Banned.

Quote:
TOD
02-08-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Case closed.
Ah man, I was looking forward to new chords. At the beginning of schism AJ was playing "strange" chords on this last tour, they sounded like half and whole diminished chords with major tonality from time to time. I wonder if this is what he was talking about?

Last edited by TOD; 02-08-2010 at 01:09 PM..
Old 02-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #18
TOD
Banned.

Quote:

Case closed.
Ah man, I was looking forward to new chords. At the beginning of schism AJ was playing "strange" chords on this last tour, they sounded like half and whole diminished chords with major tonality from time to time. I wonder if this is what he was talking about?

Last edited by TOD; 02-08-2010 at 01:09 PM..
TOD
02-08-2010, 12:27 PM

how do you quote multiple post so you don't have to post more than once?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
TOD
Banned.

slamminsalmon's Avatar slamminsalmon
02-08-2010, 02:06 PM

same way you make a regular quote. cept 2 in the same post.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #20
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

TOD
02-08-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
like this?
Quote:
Old 02-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #21
TOD
Banned.

Quote:
like this?
Quote:
5th Eye's Avatar 5th Eye
02-08-2010, 03:42 PM

maybe if they broke up we could finally talk about worthwhile music on this board

like grindcore
Old 02-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #22
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

maybe if they broke up we could finally talk about worthwhile music on this board

like grindcore
02-08-2010, 03:43 PM

http://www.grind-core.nl/

Edit: and learn some dutch.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #23
Jedi Master

http://www.grind-core.nl/

Edit: and learn some dutch.
02-08-2010, 04:51 PM

I nominate that this forum becomes one for the group Die Antwoord.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #24
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

I nominate that this forum becomes one for the group Die Antwoord.
Ravenpig
02-08-2010, 08:37 PM

This was put up on their site today, just thought I'd add it to this conversation.

08 February, 2010 (03:41pm)
AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

Danny will be attending tonight's battle between the KU Jayhawks and Texas Longhorns in Austin, along with the band's favorite Texas Ranger. And before boarding the Silver Dillo(?), "yes", that was Paola Kansas transplant Carey eating Texas barbecue with Texas-style rubs and seasonings at Iron Works BBQ this afternoon. Barbecue blasphemy some from the Sunflower State might say. At any rate, Tool's drummer will return to L.A. tomorrow, so that possibly the 'process' can begin in earnest on Wednesday...
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #25
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

This was put up on their site today, just thought I'd add it to this conversation.

08 February, 2010 (03:41pm)
AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

Danny will be attending tonight's battle between the KU Jayhawks and Texas Longhorns in Austin, along with the band's favorite Texas Ranger. And before boarding the Silver Dillo(?), "yes", that was Paola Kansas transplant Carey eating Texas barbecue with Texas-style rubs and seasonings at Iron Works BBQ this afternoon. Barbecue blasphemy some from the Sunflower State might say. At any rate, Tool's drummer will return to L.A. tomorrow, so that possibly the 'process' can begin in earnest on Wednesday...
TOOL_Rules
02-09-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
If they were in the studio recording, that would mean they already have a producer for the next album, and they would probably announce that (which they haven't).

In one of the recent newsletters, maybe September, BMB mentioned David Bottril by ending the letter with something like "What do you think of that, Mr. Bottril?"

I could easily see them going back to working with him. He helped them create two masterpieces. And he has always said he would be honored to work with them again. This latest Maynard quote about standing around could just as easily be BS to fake inner turnoil. Sure sets up the April Fools joke well.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #26
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
If they were in the studio recording, that would mean they already have a producer for the next album, and they would probably announce that (which they haven't).

In one of the recent newsletters, maybe September, BMB mentioned David Bottril by ending the letter with something like "What do you think of that, Mr. Bottril?"

I could easily see them going back to working with him. He helped them create two masterpieces. And he has always said he would be honored to work with them again. This latest Maynard quote about standing around could just as easily be BS to fake inner turnoil. Sure sets up the April Fools joke well.
02-09-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenpig View Post
At any rate, Tool's drummer will return to L.A. tomorrow, so that possibly the 'process' can begin in earnest on Wednesday...
Possibly...

As in "maybe".

Also "maybe not".
Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #27
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenpig View Post
At any rate, Tool's drummer will return to L.A. tomorrow, so that possibly the 'process' can begin in earnest on Wednesday...
Possibly...

As in "maybe".

Also "maybe not".
02-09-2010, 12:31 PM

It means that we will see a new album, in "Toolband Time", soon. In our time I think that translates as, "we will see a new album in a near or distant future". I have plenty of great music to explore from all over the world and recorded history until then.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #28
TOD
Banned.

It means that we will see a new album, in "Toolband Time", soon. In our time I think that translates as, "we will see a new album in a near or distant future". I have plenty of great music to explore from all over the world and recorded history until then.
02-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Each Tool album is basically a test to see who can keep their hopes up the longest. I'm gonna counter it by not getting them up in the first place, take THAT

:(
Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #29
Level 11 - Clamorous

Each Tool album is basically a test to see who can keep their hopes up the longest. I'm gonna counter it by not getting them up in the first place, take THAT

02-09-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:

awe, I feel ya brother/sister.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #30
TOD
Banned.

Quote:

awe, I feel ya brother/sister.
Visceral Primate's Avatar Visceral Primate
02-09-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Of course I finished reading the post. I was just pointing out the obvious contradiction between knowing something as a fact, and then dismissing it as an excuse (in the same post) You misspoke, it's cool.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Of course I finished reading the post. I was just pointing out the obvious contradiction between knowing something as a fact, and then dismissing it as an excuse (in the same post) You misspoke, it's cool.
TOD
02-09-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Actually, I intentionally contradicted myself, hence the joking. "I know for a fact" was sarcasm because know one can know for a fact such a thing unless they were there and if they were they wouldn't be posting it here. I didn't misspeak as you put it, it is called irony or hyperbole, and is the basis of jokes. Anyone other than Tool knowing anything about Tool for a fact certainly Qualifies for hyperbole, imo.

Quote:
The strangest chords he's ever played have been suspendeds on the bottom three strings

fuck adam jones
lol. I know what I heard. He played it before schism, flat fives and thirds with the dominant seventh, but it was boring anyway. He had no idea what he was doing. Just up there with all those lights and money in his pockets showing us he can play anything and still get attention.

Last edited by TOD; 02-09-2010 at 11:57 PM..
Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #32
TOD
Banned.

Quote:
Actually, I intentionally contradicted myself, hence the joking. "I know for a fact" was sarcasm because know one can know for a fact such a thing unless they were there and if they were they wouldn't be posting it here. I didn't misspeak as you put it, it is called irony or hyperbole, and is the basis of jokes. Anyone other than Tool knowing anything about Tool for a fact certainly Qualifies for hyperbole, imo.

Quote:
The strangest chords he's ever played have been suspendeds on the bottom three strings

fuck adam jones
lol. I know what I heard. He played it before schism, flat fives and thirds with the dominant seventh, but it was boring anyway. He had no idea what he was doing. Just up there with all those lights and money in his pockets showing us he can play anything and still get attention.

Last edited by TOD; 02-09-2010 at 11:57 PM..
OCDT's Avatar OCDT
02-10-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_Rules View Post
Was that the one with an attached pic of Danny standing in front of a gong? its just like 'Hey david bottrill, I got a new gong to replace the one we worked with on Lateralus, check it out its pretty cool'.

I don't think its anything more than that.

But it would be very cool if he did do another album with them, hes great
Old 02-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_Rules View Post
Was that the one with an attached pic of Danny standing in front of a gong? its just like 'Hey david bottrill, I got a new gong to replace the one we worked with on Lateralus, check it out its pretty cool'.

I don't think its anything more than that.

But it would be very cool if he did do another album with them, hes great
02-10-2010, 06:31 AM

There isn't even any audible gong in Lateralus. what bullshit.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #34
Super Bat Kiss

There isn't even any audible gong in Lateralus. what bullshit.
02-10-2010, 12:06 PM

new album: march 5, 2013

adam jones: not a great guitarist but he knows how to play along with the genius of DC and Maynard so i love him. I wouldn't want any other guiarist in TOOL

grindcore: really sucks.

the pot video: better fucking come out because i love that song and i wanna see how AJ interprets it (say what u want about his guitar playing, the dude knows how to make a good music video)
Old 02-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #35
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

new album: march 5, 2013

adam jones: not a great guitarist but he knows how to play along with the genius of DC and Maynard so i love him. I wouldn't want any other guiarist in TOOL

the pot video: better fucking come out because i love that song and i wanna see how AJ interprets it (say what u want about his guitar playing, the dude knows how to make a good music video)
02-10-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
During the 2006 tour he gonged the gong during Lateralus.
he gongs it on the album too and has gonged it at every live show since 2001
Old 02-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #36
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
During the 2006 tour he gonged the gong during Lateralus.
he gongs it on the album too and has gonged it at every live show since 2001
02-10-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentTOOL23 View Post

you're still a tool fan, it's okay.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #37
Super Bat Kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentTOOL23 View Post