opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #41
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
Re: 2006/09/11 - The Woodlands, TX - Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion

I did wonder why they have speakers on top of the lawn lightposts that were strangely silent. Yes, the sound could have been a lot better... starting with pushing the master volume pot upwards...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux View Post
I think we can all safely say that we dont know what happened. But I can also safely say that for everything I have received from this band, this is surely a small thing to grant the guy to be forgiven for being sick, for fuck sake.
You're right... some understanding of the situation should be called for. He's sick and that surely can't be helped. He tried, and there's something to be said for that. I personally appreciate it. However, we can't simply say that this show was sub-par, and then move on. It was bottom of the barrel. It's obvious that Maynard didn't really know how bad off he was until he got into the show, or else they would have postponed it sometime Monday morning. But with that being said, they can't possibly believe that the Houston crowd got their money's worth. The other 3/4 of the band gave it their all, but without vocals, it's just not the same. Not to mention that we didn't even get Wings... and once again, I'm positive they were planning on playing it.

If I were in their place, I'd be planning on trying to make it up to the Houston crowd. Especially if you keep in mind what happened in '02. I think it's only right.
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I have mixed feeling about the show.
The band (minus Maynard) all performed very well, and the absence of Maynards vocal gave me the opportunity to focus on other aspects, such as Danny's awesome drumming. I don't blame Maynard for being sick, and I belive that he really was sick, but I agree that Tool should come back and do a free show to make up for the disappointment.

I would like to recognize the crowd for being generally civil after the show. A more rowdy crowd might mave actually rioted. Even when we were packed down the south bridge, everyone was calm and orderly and considerate. It goes to show that Tool fans are generally compassionate and considerate people.

Oh, and to those that yelled during the moment of silence:

Kill yourself.
Seriously.
Do it.

One more complaint: What was up with Tool banning blankets and binoculars?
Seriously. What am I going to do with a blanket? Strangle someone???!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #44
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimistic-pessimist View Post
You're right... some understanding of the situation should be called for. He's sick and that surely can't be helped. He tried, and there's something to be said for that. I personally appreciate it. However, we can't simply say that this show was sub-par, and then move on. It was bottom of the barrel. It's obvious that Maynard didn't really know how bad off he was until he got into the show, or else they would have postponed it sometime Monday morning. But with that being said, they can't possibly believe that the Houston crowd got their money's worth. The other 3/4 of the band gave it their all, but without vocals, it's just not the same. Not to mention that we didn't even get Wings... and once again, I'm positive they were planning on playing it.

If I were in their place, I'd be planning on trying to make it up to the Houston crowd. Especially if you keep in mind what happened in '02. I think it's only right.
quoted for it's "truthiness". :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #45
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelrabbit23 View Post
but I have to say that I was so frustrated by Memford that I often had my eyes closed in order to focus on the music, to try to stay into the groove. I kept feeling a bad vibe from the stage. It seems there was something else going on other than Memford being ill. I could feel it.
I totally agree.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #46
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4cem0nkey View Post
I have mixed feeling about the show.
The band (minus Maynard) all performed very well, and the absence of Maynards vocal gave me the opportunity to focus on other aspects, such as Danny's awesome drumming. I don't blame Maynard for being sick, and I belive that he really was sick, but I agree that Tool should come back and do a free show to make up for the disappointment.

I would like to recognize the crowd for being generally civil after the show. A more rowdy crowd might mave actually rioted. Even when we were packed down the south bridge, everyone was calm and orderly and considerate. It goes to show that Tool fans are generally compassionate and considerate people.

Oh, and to those that yelled during the moment of silence:

Kill yourself.
Seriously.
Do it.

One more complaint: What was up with Tool banning blankets and binoculars?
Seriously. What am I going to do with a blanket? Strangle someone???!
That's not Tool's doing, thats the Pavillion stuff. The Pavillion gets all retarded when it comes to rock concerts and bans everything.

Does anyone wonder if everyone would have gotten naked as Maynard asked, would he have sucked it up and sang his ass off (you know so he could cancel tonights show)?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentDMT View Post
That's not Tool's doing, thats the Pavillion stuff. The Pavillion gets all retarded when it comes to rock concerts and bans everything.
That's not what Pavillion security told me. They said all the restrictions were at the band's request. Why have I been able to bring these items into other Pavillion concerts?: Blanket, Binoculars, Water Bottle...

The security woman who kindly checked my binoculars for me actually told me that "[Maynard] said he would walk offstage if he caught anyone taking pictures."
If Maynard isn't really saying these things, then someone in Tool's management is seriously making him look like an asshole. I don't think the Pavillion staff is making this stuff up.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #48
Level 4 - Thinker

And yeah, fuck the security bullshit. You want to see where? Pull my belt/waist of my pants back and let you see down there? Fucking bullshit! Why don't you just give me a pap-smear and pelvic exam while you're at it? I am so frustrated with this whole concert experience: over-priced tickets, over-priced merch, ticket-fucking-bastard with their monopolistic and corrupt behavior, cattle herding venues, "$9 beer night" concessions, Gestapo-like security, no this, none of that...NO FUCKING PURSES???, shitty performances? Pfffttt....I'm done. I'll download the show and put it on dvd and watch it from home without all of the bullshit.

My feelings are that I am going to pass on future TOOL shows. As much as I love them, I'm sick of this shit. :\ Maybe when they return to the small club tours in 20 years, I'll go see them again.

Last edited by rachelrabbit23; 09-12-2006 at 12:24 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #49
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
And yeah, fuck the security bullshit. You want to see where? Pull my belt/waist of my pants back and let you see down there? Fucking bullshit! Why don't you just give me a pap-smear and pelvic exam while you're at it? I am so frustrated with this whole concert experience: over-priced tickets, over-priced merch, ticket-fucking-bastard with their monopolistic and corrupt behavior, cattle herding venues, "$9 beer night" concessions, Gestapo-like security, no this, none of that...
I'm almost right there with you.
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...

Last edited by optimistic-pessimist; 09-12-2006 at 09:53 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
That's not what Pavillion security told me. They said all the restrictions were at the band's request. Why have I been able to bring these items into other Pavillion concerts?: Blanket, Binoculars, Water Bottle...
This is true. I've been to three other concerts at the Pavillion within the past month. I would consider most of those to be 'heavier' than TOOL (Buzzfest with Stained, Family Values with Korn, Godsmack, Rob Zombie). Yet, despite that - we were allowed to bring blankets, binoculars - even cameras! The only restriction on cameras as those shows was that no 'professional photography equipment' was allowed. Of course, I am very familiar with TOOL's position regarding camera's - so that was no surprise. What WAS suprising to me was shutting down the concessions just minutes after TOOL hit the stage. ...I've still not been able to figure out why they did that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #51
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimistic-pessimist View Post
I'm almost right there with you.
It's out of control. After ticketmaster, the venue and the band are done having their way with you and your ass is nice and bloody, you're given a shit performance. It makes me sad. Concerts of my favorite artists have been one of the true joys in life. But they're not fun anymore. You have to jump through so many fucking hoops, it's impossible to fully enjoy things. And to all of the folks that don't mind, that think this is ok: I feel sorry for you. TOOL and Memford want to take shots at things like GWB and The Patriot Act and the NSA, yet they have absolutely no qualms about what they put their fans through to see their shows. Give me a break.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
And yeah, fuck the security bullshit. You want to see where? Pull my belt/waist of my pants back and let you see down there? Fucking bullshit! Why don't you just give me a pap-smear and pelvic exam while you're at it?
They looked down your pants??!
Wow.
Are you sure that was a *real* security guy?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #53
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

5th show

the band was spot on but maynard must be sick as hell cuz if he wasn't speaking the lyrics he was just letting us, the crowd, sing for him. I know that he's trying to push on, but if the band wasn't incredible they would have received much less fan fare from the crowd. The one thing I thought to compare this was if this was an average dallas band playing the gypsy tea room and the lead singer was in maynard's state, they'd be dodging half consumed bottles of beer within minutes. But ya know what, this would not have happened, because in this instance the band would have cancelled the show and rescheduled due to an ill member of the band. I for one love to see the rest of the band pulling together to perform versions of songs rarely seen on stage(which I think was done once tonight, and given the circumstance should have been done MUCH more to compensate), but I know that I am the minority in the TOOL audience and most people want to see all cylinders firing.

hopefully by thursday he gets better and not worse but either way half of tool is worth twice as much as face value of a concert ticket when compared to 99% of bands out there

- C. Sagan
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #54
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Wow.
It was a woman: "I need to see in your pockets, miss. Can you pull them out." ME = "Not really, this is as far as they go" WOMAN = "I need to see your waist. Pull the waist of your pants and belt away and let me see. Turn around. Pull up your pants leg. Now the other."

Fucking Bullshit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #55
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Wow.
I'll have to agree, the security was....well, let's put it this way. If they checked you like that at the airport, there would never ever ever ever be another terrorist on board of an airplane ever again. They asked me to put all of my stuff on the top of a trash can, then pull all of my clothes tight while they wanded me. I've had less security in Saint Louis and Chicago at Slayer and Pantera shows. The Tool show in Chicago in May of 2001, they basically patted my pockets, and sent me on.

I'm not sure if all of this is just Tool. This has been a growing trend at the shows I've seen in Houston in general. Basically, anything that 5star is working. NIN, Aerosmith, etc., have all been somewhat heavy on the security.

But, one thing I can say is that the Pavillion staff is really nice. They had free coat check, and the security was very polite, to me and my wife, at least. I've never seen that anywhere else before.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #56
Level 3 - Talker

To TOOL: Lord knows I have no idea what kind of pressure you guys are under, but I consider myself a pretty big fan, and if you were me how would you feel about tonights performance. I don't know if there is anyway to make this right, but I do have a suggestion. How about a recording of live vocals from a previous show , so that when something like this happens you can at least have vocals to sync to. It would not be like you never sang them, I know you can sing every note and every lyric, and I just wanted to experience that tonight. I don't know If I will pay to come to a show again, but I hope that If I do you will not try to perform when are feeling as sick as you must have been tonight. I love you guys and I hope that this email doesn't offend. I just feel like I have been cheated. I now see that you have postponed your next couple of shows to heal, while I think this is an excellent Idea, it is not fair to the Houston fans that had to suffer through this show, This must be fixed you MUST make this right, give me my money or comeback for free, because you know you should have extended us the same fucking courtesy as the rest of the cities in TX.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:13 PM   #57
Level 2 - Poster

The security at the Woodlands has always been that way, at every concert I've gone to. Granted, some shows you can bring blankets to and some you can't, but anyone who's been a Tool fan for any length of time should know how MAYNARD (but Memford is oh so witty!) feels about having his image captured. Thus, the camera banning which means they have to take a few extra steps to follow the policy. You think last night was bad? Does anyone remember the Woodlands show back in '01, when security was so tight that most everyone missed Tricky's set completely and quite a few more didn't get in until after Tool started? I know SunKing was there. That would have been something to bitch about. Compared to that show, last night was a cakewalk to get into. It's not all Tool, it's also the venue.

Maybe the band could have postponed the show yesterday, and yes it wasn't up to normal Tool show standards, but I'm impressed that Maynard powered through it and gave it his best shot. No complaints about Adam, Danny, or Justin's performances at all. Maybe they were going to play Wings, maybe not. Who cares, they make setlist changes and sometimes you don't get the song you want to hear. I was really surprised and happy to hear Right In Two - Justin amazed me yet again, as half the sounds in the song I could have sworn were a second guitar.

A few people mentioned the bat - I didn't see it on stage, but something flew right over our heads out on the lawn towards the end of the show and I thought it was a bird. Must have been the same thing, guess I just didn't pay close enough attention.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #58
Level 3 - Talker

Has anyone noticed that the official website has been under " Maintenance" since last night. I wrote an email to the bands general mailboox and it got sent back by the mailer demon. Who is with me on the fact that they should have canceled our show, and since they did not they should do a free show or give us our god damn money back

Last edited by MartyV; 09-12-2006 at 02:22 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #59
Level 4 - Thinker

Oh, one comment on the cameras. Maynard has always been a heavy when it comes to cameras. He has stated that he feels the show is something that happens once, and it is gone. Trying to capture it doesn't really capture its real essence. Furthermore, have you ever been on a stage with flashing bulbs blaring at you? I have been on a much smaller stage, with a few cameras in the crowd, and it's blinding. I can't imagine what it would be like in a large venue with thousands taking pictures. We're there to watch, not to be photographers. Be in the moment.

However, banning blankets, purses, etc. That was stupid. Whether it was the bands choice or the venue.

And what's with that clusterfuck walkway over the water? Trying to fite 15k motherfuckers over a 4-man wide sidewalk...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #60
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyV View Post
Has anyone noticed that the official website has been under " Maintenace" since last night. I wrote an email to the bands general mailboox and it got sent back by the mailer demon. Who is with me on the fact that they should have canceled our show, and since they did not they should do a free show or give us our god damn money back
Site is up right now.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #61
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
The security at the Woodlands has always been that way, at every concert I've gone to. Granted, some shows you can bring blankets to and some you can't, but anyone who's been a Tool fan for any length of time should know how MAYNARD (but Memford is oh so witty!) feels about having his image captured. Thus, the camera banning which means they have to take a few extra steps to follow the policy. You think last night was bad? Does anyone remember the Woodlands show back in '01, when security was so tight that most everyone missed Tricky's set completely and quite a few more didn't get in until after Tool started? I know SunKing was there. That would have been something to bitch about. Compared to that show, last night was a cakewalk to get into. It's not all Tool, it's also the venue.

Maybe the band could have postponed the show yesterday, and yes it wasn't up to normal Tool show standards, but I'm impressed that Maynard powered through it and gave it his best shot. No complaints about Adam, Danny, or Justin's performances at all. Maybe they were going to play Wings, maybe not. Who cares, they make setlist changes and sometimes you don't get the song you want to hear. I was really surprised and happy to hear Right In Two - Justin amazed me yet again, as half the sounds in the song I could have sworn were a second guitar.

A few people mentioned the bat - I didn't see it on stage, but something flew right over our heads out on the lawn towards the end of the show and I thought it was a bird. Must have been the same thing, guess I just didn't pay close enough attention.
Amen.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #62
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoReE View Post
Site is up right now.
www.toolband.com?

I keep getting a "maintenance" sign
Old 09-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #63
Level 2 - Poster

Hmm, it appears unlike a lot of you this was my first Tool concert. I really started getting into them as they were wrapping up the Lateralus tour, so I didn't get to see them then.

I was disappointed, but I was entertained. I was heartbroken when he didn't sing the chorus to 46 & 2...that's when I knew it was wrong. I'd gotten bad feelings when they started 25 minutes late (I knew ahead of time he was sick), but it really hit me when he couldn't sing the chorus/vocally challenging parts of any of their songs.

It was a little saddening for me and my girlfriend since it was our first Tool show. I was also disappointed by the sound...I've seen less-heavier bands louder than Tool was last night. However, we both liked the show and thought it was pretty gutsy of Maynard to try and do a show tonight (sorry, I'm not buying the bit that "security guard" posted earlier). I really can't blame the guy for getting sick.

Also, rachel, I think you need to cool down a bit. The security really wasn't that bad--I found them pretty friendly. You have to understand that Tool attracts A LOT of riff raff, so it only makes sense for them to check.

The highlight for me was Danny's drumming on "Right In Two". Simply fantastic, my mouth was agape the whole time. I've always loved him, but seeing him live was just awesome.

My main complaint is that I just...didn't feel anything. I came out of the concert not feeling totally blown away, just kind of "meh". My girlfriend and I both enjoyed it though. I really hope they give us another show. I think that we deserve one.

Anyways, that's all I really have to say.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #64
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyV View Post
www.toolband.com?

I keep getting a "maintenance" sign
I pulled this up just now:

12 September, 2006 (01:12pm)
TONIGHT'S SAN ANTONIO SHOW POSTPONED

Unfortunately tonight's show in San Antonio has been postponed due to illness. Please HOLD ON to your tickets and stand by for further information.

It plays the splash screen with the menu, and the news page comes up.

However, earlier today, I was getting some "pear" errors, related to it trying to pull things from a database, and not being able to.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #65
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Hmm, it appears unlike a lot of you this was my first Tool concert. I really started getting into them as they were wrapping up the Lateralus tour, so I didn't get to see them then.

I was disappointed, but I was entertained. I was heartbroken when he didn't sing the chorus to 46 & 2...that's when I knew it was wrong. I'd gotten bad feelings when they started 25 minutes late (I knew ahead of time he was sick), but it really hit me when he couldn't sing the chorus/vocally challenging parts of any of their songs.

It was a little saddening for me and my girlfriend since it was our first Tool show. I was also disappointed by the sound...I've seen less-heavier bands louder than Tool was last night. However, we both liked the show and thought it was pretty gutsy of Maynard to try and do a show tonight (sorry, I'm not buying the bit that "security guard" posted earlier). I really can't blame the guy for getting sick.

Also, rachel, I think you need to cool down a bit. The security really wasn't that bad--I found them pretty friendly. You have to understand that Tool attracts A LOT of riff raff, so it only makes sense for them to check.

The highlight for me was Danny's drumming on "Right In Two". Simply fantastic, my mouth was agape the whole time. I've always loved him, but seeing him live was just awesome.

My main complaint is that I just...didn't feel anything. I came out of the concert not feeling totally blown away, just kind of "meh". My girlfriend and I both enjoyed it though. I really hope they give us another show. I think that we deserve one.

Anyways, that's all I really have to say.
Unfortunately, you did not get a proper experience. The show lacked energy, probably because the lead singer didn't have any, because he was sick. Don't give up, go and see them next time they're around. They have blown me away every other time I have seen them.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #66
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoReE View Post
Unfortunately, you did not get a proper experience. The show lacked energy, probably because the lead singer didn't have any, because he was sick. Don't give up, go and see them next time they're around. They have blown me away every other time I have seen them.
Yeah, my girlfriend and I are totally going to see them next time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

I Have to agree with Irish, though I have been following the band for a long time this was my first opportunity to see them live. I definitely understand and sympathize with Maynard being sick, I still couldn't help but feel a bit melancholy after the show, hearing about all the people who have been blown away by their shows. There were a few points in the show where i really "felt it" though, namely during Lateralus and our encore version of Right in Two which really brought what was left of the show back to life. I was expecting the show to end there at Aenema, given the little encore thing they had there, anyone know if that was planned, or maybe a last minute decision to extend the performance a bit? Anyways, big thank you to the band regardless for playing what they did given the circumstances, and one can only hope that they keep in mind the crowds sympathetic position on the lackluster performance and return to us soon. Also, I thought that Rosetta Stoned was really awesome live, a very fun and humorous song to rock out to in that type of atmosphere.

One thing to keep in mind for all you who are saying it was that bad, without Maynard the pressure was on for the rest of the guys and i think they more than rose up to the challenge with their stellar performance.

Last edited by Bumtil; 09-12-2006 at 04:53 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #68
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

So I know this is futile but the show of disappointment might have some effect. I think everyone who is disappointed with last nights show should shoot and email over to the bands management company. Maybe if they see such a harsh outcry there could be some sort of retribution. I doubt it, but its worth a shot.

Last edited by paraflux; 09-12-2006 at 06:41 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #69
Level 3 - Talker

Don't have time to post much.

The subtle changes made in the music and instrumental touches the guys put to offset Maynard not singing really made up for the fact Maynard had to sit out for alot of songs.

Overall it was just another beautiful night with those 4 guys from LA. Oh, and flux too :-p

Good meeting you and spending the show with you and your buds, paraflux.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #70
Ion
Level 1 - Lurker

I don't have much to say as everything has pretty much already been said but I was disappointed with the show. Lack of Maynard singing during the high parts of all the songs was killing me.......those parts are probably my favorite parts of the songs and I heard none of them last night. The rest of the band played excellent other than a few parts on Adam's behalf that I caught.....Danny is a fucking beast. Overall it was a good show but just needed Maynard's singing......sound was pretty good and I was at the bottom/middle of the lawn.....it wasn't really loud but good. I also do feel that we are owed another show....I'm from SA so there were other expenses involved with seeing them @ the Woodlands.....I was also going to attend tonight's show but I'm glad that it was cancelled to be able to see Tool at 100%....hopefully they'll do another Houston show when they come back to play for us San Antonians.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #71
On Probation

Bincount™: 88

EXTRA EXTRA.........the news is in and its official.........Maynard really isn't a nasa robot experiment gone wrong or an alien from another galaxy with super powers.........he's human.

Either that or he's an asshole:)

In other news - I have been really impressed with Justin in the past months. I really feel like 10,000 days is "his" record. The bass work on that record is truly amazing. Last night, that guy played that show like it was his last. Good man.

I agree that we should get a free show to make up for last night. We should also all get to go out to eat with the band and spend the day with them at the zoo. Then we can all go back to thier hotel room and watch movies together.

I know last night sucked, but at least we are alive and breathing and we got to spend the evening together. It could have been worse.......lets just focus and meditate on Maynard's health and try to get him well again.

Its ok Maynard......I still love you.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #72
Level 3 - Talker

All who are saying they should have cancelled, you know deep in your hearts that if they had, you'd all be bitching about it and saying they should have tried to play anyway.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #73
On Probation

Bincount™: 12

This was my 4th time seeing Tool (I saw them on the 06 mini tour just last May in NYC)

Having read the setlists from the previous shows I got really excited about hearing wings prt 2. That was my biggest mistake by far.

I drove down to Houston from San Marcos and it was raining all day. The humidity was a killer but thank god it cooled down at night.

There was horrible traffic driving into the woodlands so we missed all of Isis except the last song.

Tool takes stage and the first words from Maynard were "Yeah" and Stinkfist starts playing. I could tell from his "yeah" that he did NOT want to be at that show. My guess was that they wanted to cancel it but they know how much of a bitch it would be to make it up again.

Anyways... I was able to get 3rd row center (row c) so I had an excellent view of everything that was going on stage BUT.... the seats sucked straight up. I had seat 1 so I was at the end of the row and security were so god damn distracting. Every 5 secs they were shining their flash lights and yelling at people to either to smoking their cigs or stop taking pictues with their cellphones. On top of that, there were no "real" Tool fans. Everyone around me were rich buisness men that had ticket hook-ups through their companys.

Maynard put no energey into the show at all, and you could tell at the first song . As for the rest of the band members, the tried really hard and put alot into it cause they knew Maynard was having such a hard time.

Maynard then said he was "sorry for being sick and that he was trying hard". He was only able to sing one FULL song, the rest he was able to sing alittle but left alot out. He acutally tried to get the audience to sing for him which was the first time I ever seen him do this.

Later on in the set Maynard said "this is alittle cheesey" but asked for silence for the 9/11 memorial. I honestly wanted to slap this one bitch across her face behind me that just screamed her lungs out during the silence. How fucking disrespectfull can you be? I guess it was expected....

Then we sang happy birthday to the patriot act even tho I think alot of fans thought it was Danny's birthday for standing up off his drumset.

The laser were pretty damn tight, tho I felt it took a long time for them to bust them out. The projections were messed up slightly, they would have a blue light across them on the two big screens on the side, but over all I enjoyed the visuals.

As I was driving back to San Marcos the next morning for the San Antonio show, I hear on the radio that it was canceled. Very dissapointing but at the same time it was no surprise. This Houston show was by far the worst Tool concert I have been too. I would rather Tool cancel their show then perform half-ass like they did at the Woodlands. It was not 100% tool show.

I was able to take some pictures with my cellphone even tho the security guards were so damn anal. Slider phones have the advantage for taking shots =] It's only a 1.3MP cam so they aren't the greatest....

This was during the last song for Isis (notice the secuirty guard directly in front of me hah)
http://deepu.eroding.com/gallery/dat...1/SP_A0027.jpg

once again sorry about the quality =/
http://deepu.eroding.com/gallery/dat...1/SP_A0043.jpg

http://deepu.eroding.com/gallery/dat...1/SP_A0044.jpg

http://deepu.eroding.com/gallery/dat...1/SP_A0045.jpg

http://deepu.eroding.com/gallery/dat...1/SP_A0046.jpg

http://deepu.eroding.com/gallery/dat...1/SP_A0053.jpg

http://deepu.eroding.com/gallery/dat...1/SP_A0060.jpg

http://deepu.eroding.com/gallery/dat...1/SP_A0061.jpg

During the Intermission, Maynard walked off stage. Danny Adam and Justin just sat up on Maynard's platform and Justin held up his lighter causing a sea to flash up..
http://deepu.eroding.com/gallery/dat...1/SP_A0055.jpg

Last edited by Khadgar346; 09-12-2006 at 04:56 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #74
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Uh, I think you need to blow me.

The woman searching me was absolutely NOT friendly. I had: ID, Credit Card, Cell phone, and lipblam, my ticket and that was it. I'm talking about the security business in general. It's bullshit and totally violates your civil rights. The 4th amendment reads " The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." in case you are unfamiliar. Funny how this ceases to be true when corporations are involved. Kind of like a microcosm of the country as a whole. Asking people to leave behind unsafe objects: knives, guns, etc is a reasonable request. Forbidding me to have my purse and asking me to pull the waistline of my pants back so they can see inside my pants is going over the line.

I've been to way more hard-core shows i.e. Slayer (5 times), Ministry, etc. where the crowd goes bananas and the security was "Can I see inside your purse" and that was it. If you want to see riff raff, go see a Slayer show, but then again, even Slayer seems more appreciative of their fans.

And optimistic-pessimist - great minds think alike. :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #75
Level 1 - Lurker

Let me start off by saying this... Cynthia Woods Pavillion is about as good at getting bad performances out of superb rock groups as George Lucas is at getting bad performances from solid actors.

That said...

The sound wasn't loud enough. Period. Tool was playing louder in my car on the way to the concert than they played at the actual concert. Fuck that. I was front center on the lawn and I could just barely hear them. Every time I've been to the Pavillion there seem to be stacks of speakers that aren't even turned on. What in the hell is up with that? If Tool isn't supposed to be played loud then I don't know who is.

Security was bullshit. I can't bring my fucking binoculars??? How bout a blanket so I don't have to sit directly on that muddy ass lawn??? I don't know if that was the Pavillion's fault or Tool's but whoever was responsible needs to understand that they were being fucking Nazis and we want our fucking blankets.

As far as concessions... Dude, the beers were almost ten dollars and they stopped selling them 15 minutes after Tool started. I don't even really drink at a Tool concert and that pissed me off.

That aside... I thought eveyone from Tool did a pretty damn fine job. Maynard was sick. I've been sick before where it comes and goes and so has everyone else. When you have 16,000 people waiting on you you have to make a choice. Maynard chose to sing because he undoubtedly thought he could sing at least most of it and give us a good show. The man seemed like he was genuinely apologetic and since Maynard has given all of us so much in the last many years I felt like I could let it slide.

The band sounded as tight as I've heard them (Even though the sound was low) and the visuals were beautifully coordinated and breathtakingly awesome. Most other headlining musicians would have cameramen posting their faces on those huge screens... With Tool, we get snakes eternally eating themselves, jumbles of scary body parts, really sweet looking highway with a crazy looking dude stumbling down it for Rosetta Stoned, sweet ass fucking candy white stage that reflects light from a screen spanning across its entire width, color changing tree lights and some fucking sweet ass laser beams. Not to mention those cool looking halos they brought out for Lateralus. Please, please tell me you were dissapointed because you should be kicked in the face.

The crowd sucked. It would be silent in there at times. 16,000 people at Tool and I feel like an idiot being one of the few yelling, "COME ON IT"S FUCKING TOOL!!! IT"S FUCKING AWESOME!!!" There's no reason I should feel left out screaming like that for my favorite band. People yelled during the moment of silence louder than people yelled 15 seconds after the end of Rosetta Stoned. Fuck that. Maynard was sick. He told us that. Show some support for one of the greatest bands making music today... you fucking pussies. You guys think that you are going to get a free show? You guys just "not going to see Tool anymore...'?" FUCK YOU. Whoever that so called security guard is talking shit like that... Fuck you too. The Woodlands sucks.

Tool postponed the San Antonio show because I'm sure that Maynard doesn't want to dissapoint anymore. If you guys are such hardcore TOOL fans then most of you complaining should get tickets to the other two Texas shows so that Maynard can be healthy and you won't be fucking bitchy.

Tool is the shit.

Last edited by Ecce Iuvencae; 09-12-2006 at 05:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #76
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecce Iuvencae View Post

Tool postponed the San Antonio show because I'm sure that Maynard doesn't want to dissapoint anymore. If you guys are such hardcore TOOL fans then most of you complaining should get tickets to the other two Texas shows so that Maynard can be healthy and you won't be fucking bitchy.
so what about that bitch and that i took leave off from the military to fly home to be with friends just to see this concert. now what am i suppose to do. all the extra money i has went to this. i wish the concert had got cancelled so i could have changed my plane tickets.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #77
Level 2 - Poster

My 10th Tool Show

700 Mile drive (round trip from New Orleans) - gas @ $2.60/gallon = $120.00
2 night stay at the La Denny's (LaQuinta) - $162.00
2 Tool Tickets ($140.00)

Seeing the band play with 1/2 of Houston singing the songs:

Pricey..

Being my 10th show (1st of this tour), my wife and I were highly anticipating what would be one of the greatest performances of our lives, especially after reading the Staples center post.

You may have seen me as the guy with the "CREED SUCKS" t-shirt.

This was by far the most diasspointing show of my life but I do understand the circumstances and give Maynard some credit for the effort. Cancelling the show 1 hour before or during would have been a nightmare and many lives could have been lost on what was one of the most tragic days in American History.

Rumor has it that Maynard loves money more than money itself (source who works for the band).

On the otherhand, let's hope for a postive experience in 2007.

"I'm praying for Rain, I'm praying for Hurricane's, I wanna see the ground give way, I wanna see the DEMOCRATS go Down, mom please flush all the DEMOCRATS away, they keep sucking our WELFARE DOWN, I wanna watch it go right in, Mom Please FLUSH THEM ALL AWAY""' HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 06:40 PM   #78
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentDMT View Post
So I know this is futile but the show of disappointment might have some effect. I think everyone who is disappointed with last nights show should shoot and email over to the bands management company. Maybe if they see such a harsh outcry there could be some sort of retribution. I doubt it, but its worth a shot.
This is bullshit. You dont think they know what everyone felt?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 06:42 PM   #79
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

MITRIE: You said you were security last night? Were you standing in front of the pit? And if so, which one were you?

RACHELRABBIT: Were you the one I was talking to before the show?

Well, everything that I felt about last night's performance has already been said by both Optimistic and RachelRabbit. I agree 100% with them. I paid good money for that pit ticket and Lord knows I felt a little scammed.

1. The obvious absence of vocals and ardor from Maynard.

2. Security were complete assholes. Even when you respectfully ask them a question they ignore you or tell you to "fuck off".

3. Wings was cut from the set. Justin even had his stool off to the side ready to go.

4. This was my first time ever seeing them live. Disappointment would be a huge understatement.

Don't get me wrong, I love and admire their music to death. Danny, Adam, and Justin sounded excellent. I can only imagine how exerting it is to play night after night. Nonetheless, I do feel like we should be at least afforded a discount performance.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #80
Banned.

Quote:
Uh, I think you need to blow me.

The woman searching me was absolutely NOT friendly. I had: ID, Credit Card, Cell phone, and lipblam, my ticket and that was it. I'm talking about the security business in general. It's bullshit and totally violates your civil rights. The 4th amendment reads " The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." in case you are unfamiliar. Funny how this ceases to be true when corporations are involved. Kind of like a microcosm of the country as a whole. Asking people to leave behind unsafe objects: knives, guns, etc is a reasonable request. Forbidding me to have my purse and asking me to pull the waistline of my pants back so they can see inside my pants is going over the line.

I've been to way more hard-core shows i.e. Slayer (5 times), Ministry, etc. where the crowd goes bananas and the security was "Can I see inside your purse" and that was it. If you want to see riff raff, go see a Slayer show, but then again, even Slayer seems more appreciative of their fans.

And optimistic-pessimist - great minds think alike. :)
Ok, i was seeing your points until you started getting all militant and political and shit.

UNREASONABLE search and seizure. If you dont want to go through it, you can go home. It's your choice. It isnt unreasonable to see what you are bringing into this facility where 15,000 other people are.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: