opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Forum Feedback » Feedback
User Name
Password
Old 05-31-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988
Bootleg show trading

tool definitely has bootlegs of many of their shows. from crapass audience recordings to good quality soundboards, they are out there.

i was wondering if TDN would ever be a front for tool show trading?

i dont see a problem with it. at Primus' website, they host a bunch of bootleg shows on their own servers, and in the Les Claypool forums they let people post torrents of soundboard recordings they've done of recent shows.

it would be great to hear Tool shows that you couldnt go to (for distance, money, time, or any other reasons) just to hear any additional cool jams or riffs, to hear Maynard's retardedly awesome stories, to clarify lyrics, or just whatever. honestly, i personally am not excited about shitty audience recordings, there are millions of those and the sound quality is atrocious. i'm looking to get high quality soundboard recordings.

opinions?

Last edited by hushypushy; 05-31-2006 at 11:11 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
dan
tool fan

Bincount™: 33962
Re: Bootleg show trading

Tool is anti bootleg, so we can't do that.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
"it's only wrong if you get caught"

i came across this today:

http://groups.myspace.com/toolmilitia
Old 06-03-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
Level 11 - Clamorous

anti-bootleg? even if we say pretty please? :/
Old 06-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Level 11 - Clamorous

by the way, i was just thinking this the other day, has anyone ever suggest that if Tool doesn't like bootlegs, that they release official versions of the shows?

back to the claypool thing again, there was c2b3live.com and primuslive.com. sadly, they werent THAT successful (they arent making downloads on his current tour..). but i have a feeling that they'd be able to make at least a little bit of money off this, enough to make it genuinely worth it to the fans who would want to buy the show that they went to.

hmm, there was another band (cant remember right now...might've been Phish or something like that) who sold CDs with the recordings of the album directly after the show was over. they were quick soundboard mixes burned onto CDs, nothing fancy, but if you went to the show you'd really appreciate that and buy a copy.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

It sucks tool is anti-bootleg, their live show is great, and I have many cool things to share like the 72826 demo and the undertow outtakes, both in flac.

its a damn shame. :(
Old 06-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy
by the way, i was just thinking this the other day, has anyone ever suggest that if Tool doesn't like bootlegs, that they release official versions of the shows?

back to the claypool thing again, there was c2b3live.com and primuslive.com. sadly, they werent THAT successful (they arent making downloads on his current tour..). but i have a feeling that they'd be able to make at least a little bit of money off this, enough to make it genuinely worth it to the fans who would want to buy the show that they went to.

hmm, there was another band (cant remember right now...might've been Phish or something like that) who sold CDs with the recordings of the album directly after the show was over. they were quick soundboard mixes burned onto CDs, nothing fancy, but if you went to the show you'd really appreciate that and buy a copy.
not sure if phish does this, but i know SCI does
Old 06-12-2006, 02:44 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim39n
not sure if phish does this, but i know SCI does

yeah phish does. at http://www.livephish.com/
Old 06-15-2006, 06:32 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

it is a shame, i feel that they should be releasing live documents of their shows as they are so great and also they should have got the bloody live dvd of the lateralus tour out the door so it would give us something to craze over while we wait on them returning to our home towns, etc
Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

If anyone has any links to live shows, from this year or years in the past can you please message me? I know Tool would be against this so therefore I would like to put a stop to this... ;-] <--that is a wink btw
Old 07-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 488

Something that always struck me as enormously hypocritical:

Maynard:

Quote:
I'm basically just trying to
work shit out and channel some important emotional, physical, spiritual stuff that everybody goes through. We're just doing our best to put it on paper
and get it on tape. But it's the same shit everyone goes through, so in theory everyone has access to it and everybody should be able to do it. So the
point of praising one particular set of metaphorical vessels doesn't make sense, because I didn't invent the emotion, I'm just trying to translate it.

and you have particularly adoring fans...obsessive fans.
Nah. I don't think we have obsessive fans. Obsessive fans are really into the Backstreet Boys this week and will be into the next boy band next week. That's
obsessive, fly-by-night fans. Our fans, if they're really fans, get really into what we do and do stuff with it-they write and create. We become irrelevant.
They just look at what came out of the interaction between the four or five individuals and go, "That was an interesting result of that set of chemicals.
There's nice alchemy there." It's like running up to a jar of fucking phosphorous and going, "Good job!" It doesn't make any sense!
Quote:
Our music is not yours to give.
Quote:
Don't tape my shows.
Getting mixed signals. How does one own information?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #12
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

Quote:
Originally Posted by meriter View Post
Getting mixed signals. How does one own information?
What mixed signals? I see one irrelevant quote and two quotes saying don't do it.
The message seems loud and clear to me.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 488

Maybe you didn't really read the first quote? He's claiming ownership on something he says isn't really his to begin with.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

Quote:
Originally Posted by meriter View Post
Maybe you didn't really read the first quote? He's claiming ownership on something he says isn't really his to begin with.
I must be reading it wrong. I can't see anything in that first post that suggests he thinks bootlegs aren't owned by fans. All he talks about is how he didn't "invert the emotion" and how fans are creative.

At no point does he say "bootlegs are ok" or even anything like that.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

im not sure why they(probably just maynard) are so against the sharing of their music. i can see the quality side. but that can be remedied by embracing the taper community not making them squirrel around to do it.

other than that, isnt the point of making music is so others can hear it? not everyone in the world can go to concerts, be it location, physical or mental ailment, or just too damn poor. tool should not punish these folks.

i would have never had the appreciation i have for tool had i not heard them live. yes i was at there show and fortunate to be there. also fortunate enough to get the bootleg from a friend. i still have it to this day, it has allowed me to listen to that show again and again. i dont get bored with it. i hand it off to many friends, at times with a bag of mushrooms. they would come back a changed person. tripping in the safety of your home, to the live experience of tool is something everyone should experience.

i understand administrators stance on it, and i too wish to respect the wishes of the band. maybe some day they will change their mind(s).
Old 07-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

slammin, if I PM you my address will you send me the bootleg and a bag of shrooms?
<ru5ty> wat
Old 07-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #17
homer jay

nope but if you come to beltek i will.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #18
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

Perfect timing, as Maine is about a three-day drive.
<ru5ty> wat
Old 07-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

I dont understand why in some of the previous years they add a song from a particular show to the thread... but they wont let you talk about sharing.... a little stupid.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #20
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Pearl Jam sells official bootlegs of their shows for years now. It can be very profitable for the band, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Pearl Jam Official Bootlegs are a large, continually growing series of live albums by the American alternative rock band Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam noted the desire of fans to own a copy of the shows they attended and the popularity of bootleg recordings. The band had been open in the past about allowing fans to make amateur recordings,[1] and these "official bootlegs" were an attempt to provide a more affordable and better quality product for fans.[2] The band has sold more than 3.5 million copies of shows since launching the bootleg series in 2000.[3] The official bootlegs are a complete record of almost every show the band plays, excluding club "warm-up" dates.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #21
homer jay

all you guys are barking up the wrong tree.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: