paraflux
07-09-2007, 08:09 AM

Jambi
Stinkfist(ext)
46&2
Schism(ext)
Rosetta Stoned(no lost keys)
Flood
Lateralus(ext with Russian Circles drummer)
Vicarious
Aenema

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, cool, post it. Everything that is not a show review will be deleted.

Last edited by paraflux; 08-22-2007 at 11:55 AM..
Old 07-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
2007/08/21 - London, UK - Brixton Academy

Jambi
Stinkfist(ext)
46&2
Schism(ext)
Flood
Vicarious
Aenema

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, cool, post it. Everything that is not a show review will be deleted.

Last edited by paraflux; 08-22-2007 at 11:55 AM..
OFFLINE |  
DrChino
08-21-2007, 02:53 PM

off the top of my head:

Jambi
Stinkfist(ext)
46&2
Schism(ext)
Flood
Vicarious
Aenema

Awesome show. Maynard certainly seems more "user friendly" with the audience. He was even getting the crowd to clap along at one point! He let the crowd sing the last part of vicarious, prob cos of his throat.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/08/21 - London, UK - Brixton Academy

off the top of my head:

Jambi
Stinkfist(ext)
46&2
Schism(ext)
Flood
Vicarious
Aenema

Awesome show. Maynard certainly seems more "user friendly" with the audience. He was even getting the crowd to clap along at one point! He let the crowd sing the last part of vicarious, prob cos of his throat.
OFFLINE |  
theescapedslave's Avatar theescapedslave
08-21-2007, 02:58 PM

Setlist is correct. I don't think that was RC's drummer though - I thought he had long hair....and this dude definitely had short hair.

Highlight was Flood as I hadn't seen live before and they nailed it.....in fact they pretty much nailed everything - 46 & 2 being another highlight....

only gripe is that the setlist has become somewhat predictable.....oh well....great show nonetheless.

oh yea one more gripe the bogan crowd yelling and talking all through Russian Circles set....I thought they were great but the guitar was completely washed out by noise....you can't expect much from Tool crowds....great band crap fans for the most part.....anyways it'll provide a nice contrast to the hipsters at Slint tomorrow night.....

Last edited by theescapedslave; 08-21-2007 at 03:01 PM..
Old 08-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24

Setlist is correct. I don't think that was RC's drummer though - I thought he had long hair....and this dude definitely had short hair.

Highlight was Flood as I hadn't seen live before and they nailed it.....in fact they pretty much nailed everything - 46 & 2 being another highlight....

only gripe is that the setlist has become somewhat predictable.....oh well....great show nonetheless.

oh yea one more gripe the bogan crowd yelling and talking all through Russian Circles set....I thought they were great but the guitar was completely washed out by noise....you can't expect much from Tool crowds....great band crap fans for the most part.....anyways it'll provide a nice contrast to the hipsters at Slint tomorrow night.....

Last edited by theescapedslave; 08-21-2007 at 03:01 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Saltank's Avatar Saltank
08-21-2007, 03:17 PM

What was that five minute intro, before the Flood? Sounds like a peice of work from their next album, just like they did with Wings pt1 on the Lateralus tour in New York radio city hall.

Awesome concert, I'm seeing the chaps again tomorrow :)
Russian Circles was great, comparable to ISIS (of course on a level lower) but it's better than no opening at all or Mastadon :)

The drummer was "Mike" as far as I could hear, I'm pretty sure he played during Triad before, or someone similar to him on a similar set up.

It upsets me that they didn't play Wings, that was truly a spectacular presentation when I saw it last November at Wembley. Maybe it won't be the same set list tomorrow!

P.S. Moshing was annoying, it was banned and I totally agree to the people who got kicked out by security, their money could have been spent on a club night out if they want to dance around half naked and not pay attention to anything else :\

Last edited by Saltank; 08-21-2007 at 03:22 PM..
Old 08-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

What was that five minute intro, before the Flood? Sounds like a peice of work from their next album, just like they did with Wings pt1 on the Lateralus tour in New York radio city hall.

Awesome concert, I'm seeing the chaps again tomorrow :)
Russian Circles was great, comparable to ISIS (of course on a level lower) but it's better than no opening at all or Mastadon :)

The drummer was "Mike" as far as I could hear, I'm pretty sure he played during Triad before, or someone similar to him on a similar set up.

It upsets me that they didn't play Wings, that was truly a spectacular presentation when I saw it last November at Wembley. Maybe it won't be the same set list tomorrow!

P.S. Moshing was annoying, it was banned and I totally agree to the people who got kicked out by security, their money could have been spent on a club night out if they want to dance around half naked and not pay attention to anything else :\

Last edited by Saltank; 08-21-2007 at 03:22 PM..
OFFLINE |  
holotrope's Avatar holotrope
08-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Awesome show. Was really glad they brought the stadium lighting rig, not so glad about the stadium volume levels, cos Maynard was drowned out a bit, and the sound was pristine at Wembley, so I guess I was expecting a bit more clarity.

Otherwise absolutely nothing to complain about. The band seemed to be having a lot of fun, they seemed less mechanical than the other times I've seen them, and Adam especially seemed to be improvising a good bit, which was nice to hear. They really brought out a lot of the dynamics of the starts and stops by making the come-ins just that little bit sluggish, which I really loved. The lighting, as usual, was perfectly timed and really pulled me into the show.

Flood was totally epic. I never thought I'd hear that one live. Lateralus blew my mind. I could barely hear that other guy doing anything, but Danny was ripping it up during the drum break. He seemed extra energetic tonight.

Like everyone, I wouldn't have minded a change in the ol' setlist, but I honestly can't complain.

Another fine show, I really hope it's not five years till they come back.
Help people, you lazy bum
Old 08-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 21

Awesome show. Was really glad they brought the stadium lighting rig, not so glad about the stadium volume levels, cos Maynard was drowned out a bit, and the sound was pristine at Wembley, so I guess I was expecting a bit more clarity.

Otherwise absolutely nothing to complain about. The band seemed to be having a lot of fun, they seemed less mechanical than the other times I've seen them, and Adam especially seemed to be improvising a good bit, which was nice to hear. They really brought out a lot of the dynamics of the starts and stops by making the come-ins just that little bit sluggish, which I really loved. The lighting, as usual, was perfectly timed and really pulled me into the show.

Flood was totally epic. I never thought I'd hear that one live. Lateralus blew my mind. I could barely hear that other guy doing anything, but Danny was ripping it up during the drum break. He seemed extra energetic tonight.

Like everyone, I wouldn't have minded a change in the ol' setlist, but I honestly can't complain.

Another fine show, I really hope it's not five years till they come back.
Help people, you lazy bum
OFFLINE |  
doraymi
08-21-2007, 04:00 PM

I just can't take Tool serious when Maynard puts a plant beside the drum riser and has the crowd clap to the breakdown of Rosetta Stoned. Sorry.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
Banned.

I just can't take Tool serious when Maynard puts a plant beside the drum riser and has the crowd clap to the breakdown of Rosetta Stoned. Sorry.
OFFLINE |  
doraymi
08-21-2007, 04:03 PM

Oh yeah. One more thing. The crowd smelled like dirty feet.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
Banned.

OFFLINE |  
the badical's Avatar the badical
08-21-2007, 04:23 PM

the drummer pissed allllll over lateralus. he clearly didnt know what to do and new he wasnt upto par. i missed russian circles so maybe hes better on a kit but he defiantely definately did poor in that little drum break thing. it didnt help that the bongo and djembe were miced up badly.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 144

the drummer pissed allllll over lateralus. he clearly didnt know what to do and new he wasnt upto par. i missed russian circles so maybe hes better on a kit but he defiantely definately did poor in that little drum break thing. it didnt help that the bongo and djembe were miced up badly.
08-21-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doraymi View Post
downside to the smoking ban.

i preferred this gig to the wembley arena one in winter - they seem to generate a much better atmosphere in smaller spaces. i didn't catch anything that maynard said though, because of so much noise in between songs.

i really enjoyed 46& 2 - that was good, as was stinkfist. rosetta stoned always seems a bit out of time though.

as for the support - i really liked it. seemed to fit in much better than mastodon in december.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by doraymi View Post
downside to the smoking ban.

i preferred this gig to the wembley arena one in winter - they seem to generate a much better atmosphere in smaller spaces. i didn't catch anything that maynard said though, because of so much noise in between songs.

i really enjoyed 46& 2 - that was good, as was stinkfist. rosetta stoned always seems a bit out of time though.

as for the support - i really liked it. seemed to fit in much better than mastodon in december.
OFFLINE |  
goatboystrikesback's Avatar goatboystrikesback
08-21-2007, 05:01 PM

WOW. Another top notch performance by the band - everything sounded excellent. Was expecting maynard to struggle a little with the vocals, but he sounded fine and was much more chatty and interactive with the crowd than when i last saw them at nottingham.

Personal highlights were flood (with full, balls out intro) and lateralus, although they nailed everything.

Amazing show - bring on tomorrow!!

I'm exhausted now and have to go to work in 6 hours, so i'll leave it at that...
Old 08-21-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

WOW. Another top notch performance by the band - everything sounded excellent. Was expecting maynard to struggle a little with the vocals, but he sounded fine and was much more chatty and interactive with the crowd than when i last saw them at nottingham.

Personal highlights were flood (with full, balls out intro) and lateralus, although they nailed everything.

Amazing show - bring on tomorrow!!

I'm exhausted now and have to go to work in 6 hours, so i'll leave it at that...
onethirtyeight
08-21-2007, 10:05 PM

Slightly disappointing for me. Predictable set and at many times they just seemed to be going through the motions a bit. However, they did seems to be on good form, so it was still a pretty good show all round, but I hope tonight is better.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Slightly disappointing for me. Predictable set and at many times they just seemed to be going through the motions a bit. However, they did seems to be on good form, so it was still a pretty good show all round, but I hope tonight is better.
OFFLINE |  
GK666
08-22-2007, 12:10 AM

A few gripes first of all......
I have to agree with onethirtyeight with regards to them going through the motions - but I guess they have been on this tour for about a year now. Strange that they actually came back to England for a third time.
Also, the first few songs seemed about half a beat slower than normal - weird.
Just to clarify - that guy who played on Lateralus was NOT the Russian Circles drummer. But he was absolutely shite - sorry. What was the point? Maybe he really was a competition winner.
From where I was stood (about a third of the way back), MJK was very low down in the mix.
And I hate to say it but yes - the setlist needs to be refreshed.
Other than those minor gripes, highlights were Rosetta Stoned, Flood and Aenima. Wish I was going tonight too.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:10 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

A few gripes first of all......
I have to agree with onethirtyeight with regards to them going through the motions - but I guess they have been on this tour for about a year now. Strange that they actually came back to England for a third time.
Also, the first few songs seemed about half a beat slower than normal - weird.
Just to clarify - that guy who played on Lateralus was NOT the Russian Circles drummer. But he was absolutely shite - sorry. What was the point? Maybe he really was a competition winner.
From where I was stood (about a third of the way back), MJK was very low down in the mix.
And I hate to say it but yes - the setlist needs to be refreshed.
Other than those minor gripes, highlights were Rosetta Stoned, Flood and Aenima. Wish I was going tonight too.
OFFLINE |  
GK666
08-22-2007, 12:12 AM

Oh yeah - and I could smell the dirty feet thing too - whats wrong with having a wash before you go and mix with 4000 other people? Just a general hygiene tip.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:12 AM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

Oh yeah - and I could smell the dirty feet thing too - whats wrong with having a wash before you go and mix with 4000 other people? Just a general hygiene tip.
OFFLINE |  
michael127
08-22-2007, 12:16 AM

A mixed bag really the first four songs, especially 46 &2 were amazing almost perfect. Lateralus i thought was a joke...i dont know who that guy was but the band members were just looking embarrassed and shrugging their shoulders. I saw Maynard nod to Adam to get the song started again presumably because he couldn’t stand it any more.

I was expecting the same setlist but I thought the band only playing 9 songs was pathetic. It’s a shorter set than the warm-up tour. Whatever happened to the 14 or so songs they played during the Lateralus tour. Unfortunately it seems they are winding down and going through the motions. Same set list tonight I reckon with Flood swapped for something else…disappointing
Old 08-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

A mixed bag really the first four songs, especially 46 &2 were amazing almost perfect. Lateralus i thought was a joke...i dont know who that guy was but the band members were just looking embarrassed and shrugging their shoulders. I saw Maynard nod to Adam to get the song started again presumably because he couldn’t stand it any more.

I was expecting the same setlist but I thought the band only playing 9 songs was pathetic. It’s a shorter set than the warm-up tour. Whatever happened to the 14 or so songs they played during the Lateralus tour. Unfortunately it seems they are winding down and going through the motions. Same set list tonight I reckon with Flood swapped for something else…disappointing
OFFLINE |  
08-22-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK666 View Post
Thats Tool's bogan greasy haired followers for ye.....
Old 08-22-2007, 12:20 AM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK666 View Post
Thats Tool's bogan greasy haired followers for ye.....
OFFLINE |  
Saltank's Avatar Saltank
08-22-2007, 12:44 AM

You think greasy sweat and feet are bad? People kept farting where I was so me and a friend had to keep swapping places...
Old 08-22-2007, 12:44 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

You think greasy sweat and feet are bad? People kept farting where I was so me and a friend had to keep swapping places...
08-22-2007, 01:16 AM

I was a little disappointed we didn't get Wings, but I suppose that makes Wembley that little bit more special.

Lasers during Lateralus were as awesome as Danny's gong was emmense.

Jambi is a good opener, I got into the set a whole lot quicker than I did on the previous two tours.

But why no Wings!!??
Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

I was a little disappointed we didn't get Wings, but I suppose that makes Wembley that little bit more special.

Lasers during Lateralus were as awesome as Danny's gong was emmense.

Jambi is a good opener, I got into the set a whole lot quicker than I did on the previous two tours.

But why no Wings!!??
OFFLINE |  
beached_whale
08-22-2007, 01:45 AM

Good peformance on the whole but a few gripes. No wings i thought was disappointing...setlist way to short. I did however think that there would be no Aenema so that made up for it somewhat. Rosetta stoned doesnt do it for me live and should be swapped imo. Anyone else notice the different buildup especially with adam's guitar before the climax? The guest drummer in lateralus was pathetic! I sure hope he doesnt get invited back tonight. Hope we get the Russian circles guy instead. If they play pushit tonight i'll be content...
Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Good peformance on the whole but a few gripes. No wings i thought was disappointing...setlist way to short. I did however think that there would be no Aenema so that made up for it somewhat. Rosetta stoned doesnt do it for me live and should be swapped imo. Anyone else notice the different buildup especially with adam's guitar before the climax? The guest drummer in lateralus was pathetic! I sure hope he doesnt get invited back tonight. Hope we get the Russian circles guy instead. If they play pushit tonight i'll be content...
OFFLINE |  
Right_In_Two24
08-22-2007, 02:29 AM

This was my second time seeing Tool live (1st was Wembley in November, which blew my mind). Last night was really good, however there was something about it that didn't match up to Wembley, maybe it was the short setlist or something but for some reason i wasn't as mesmerised this time around.

Jambi was the opener, the crowd were really into it, but in my opinion Stinkfist should always be the opening song (my 3rd fave behind Lateralus and Aenema). Stinkfist owned as usual. The drum solo by Danny during 46&2 was amazing, not my favourite song but that part was definitely a highlight for me. Schism was sped up, more monumental drumming from Danny. Rosetta Stoned was next, but no Lost Keys intro? I felt it wasn't complete without it. Flood came next, was the 2nd best song of the night, loved the effects on the screen. Then came Lateralus, first time I saw them play this at Wembley, it touched my soul. This time around it wasn't as amazing imo. The drum off halfway thru was awesome, well Danny's part was anyway, someone mentioned that the other drummer (who was NOT the Russian Circles drummer) looked like he won a competition and wasn't actually a drummer, I could have agreed with that, I think he spoilt it somewhat (I imagined a Haake-like performance of Triad equivalent of Lateralus when people were telling me of this drum-off but it was a real let down by the other drummer). Maynard said thanks for coming, and Vicarious hit, I heard they scrapped Aenema off the tour setlist so I expected this to be the closer, even though no Tool concert is complete without Aenema as a finisher. I was very surprised they played it, and because of that it was my favourite performance of the night, because it was one thing I DIDN'T predict! Only gripe was no Wings. Pushit would have been pretty special too.

Overall worth the money, but not as mindblowing as Wembley.

Peace...out

Last edited by Right_In_Two24; 08-22-2007 at 02:56 AM..
Old 08-22-2007, 02:29 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my second time seeing Tool live (1st was Wembley in November, which blew my mind). Last night was really good, however there was something about it that didn't match up to Wembley, maybe it was the short setlist or something but for some reason i wasn't as mesmerised this time around.

Jambi was the opener, the crowd were really into it, but in my opinion Stinkfist should always be the opening song (my 3rd fave behind Lateralus and Aenema). Stinkfist owned as usual. The drum solo by Danny during 46&2 was amazing, not my favourite song but that part was definitely a highlight for me. Schism was sped up, more monumental drumming from Danny. Rosetta Stoned was next, but no Lost Keys intro? I felt it wasn't complete without it. Flood came next, was the 2nd best song of the night, loved the effects on the screen. Then came Lateralus, first time I saw them play this at Wembley, it touched my soul. This time around it wasn't as amazing imo. The drum off halfway thru was awesome, well Danny's part was anyway, someone mentioned that the other drummer (who was NOT the Russian Circles drummer) looked like he won a competition and wasn't actually a drummer, I could have agreed with that, I think he spoilt it somewhat (I imagined a Haake-like performance of Triad equivalent of Lateralus when people were telling me of this drum-off but it was a real let down by the other drummer). Maynard said thanks for coming, and Vicarious hit, I heard they scrapped Aenema off the tour setlist so I expected this to be the closer, even though no Tool concert is complete without Aenema as a finisher. I was very surprised they played it, and because of that it was my favourite performance of the night, because it was one thing I DIDN'T predict! Only gripe was no Wings. Pushit would have been pretty special too.

Overall worth the money, but not as mindblowing as Wembley.

Peace...out

Last edited by Right_In_Two24; 08-22-2007 at 02:56 AM..
OFFLINE |  
bigev
08-22-2007, 03:30 AM

by the way the guest drummer or moron was a from make a wish foundation

and have to agree spoilt the song somewhat

as for the rest of the gig it was ok this is my forth tool gig in 2 years and was the worst of the lot

the brixton academy is a dump and the sound quality on the night was poor

i can only hope manchester will be an improvement

and as for russian circles the biggest pile of crap as a support act i have ever seen

Last edited by bigev; 08-22-2007 at 03:34 AM..
Old 08-22-2007, 03:30 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

by the way the guest drummer or moron was a from make a wish foundation

and have to agree spoilt the song somewhat

as for the rest of the gig it was ok this is my forth tool gig in 2 years and was the worst of the lot

the brixton academy is a dump and the sound quality on the night was poor

i can only hope manchester will be an improvement

and as for russian circles the biggest pile of crap as a support act i have ever seen

Last edited by bigev; 08-22-2007 at 03:34 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Chuck
08-22-2007, 04:13 AM

An enjoyable show, but am very disappointed to not have had Wings. I thought they were playing it at all non-festival headlining shows these days?

Highlights for me were Stinkfist, Lateralus (terrible guest drummer aside) and Aenema.

Maynard seemed in good spirits which was nice. Something special might be happening tonight (I won't be there unfortunately) as Maynard asked Justin whether something was happening tonight or tomorrow night. No idea what.

Russian Circles were excellent, IMO. Similar to Pelican, but different enough to be interesting in their own right.

Last edited by Chuck; 08-22-2007 at 06:25 AM..
Old 08-22-2007, 04:13 AM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

An enjoyable show, but am very disappointed to not have had Wings. I thought they were playing it at all non-festival headlining shows these days?

Highlights for me were Stinkfist, Lateralus (terrible guest drummer aside) and Aenema.

Maynard seemed in good spirits which was nice. Something special might be happening tonight (I won't be there unfortunately) as Maynard asked Justin whether something was happening tonight or tomorrow night. No idea what.

Russian Circles were excellent, IMO. Similar to Pelican, but different enough to be interesting in their own right.

Last edited by Chuck; 08-22-2007 at 06:25 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Shax
08-22-2007, 05:00 AM

Awesome show.

Russian Circles were just ok, none the less, they were a refreshing change from Mastadon, who were brutal at Wembley.

The sound was great up on the circle where we were seated.

Jambi - Great opening.

Stinkfist (Extended) - Just before they started Maynard asked Adam twice if they should do it tonight or tomorrow night, so it was obvious that something special was coming, and special it was. I've never seen the extended version live and it was breathtaking to say the least, and I managed to film it in it's entirety without attracting the attention of the over zealous security personal. I hope they play it again tonight.

46&2 and Schism - Both drove the crowd crazy and were amazing.

Rosetta Stoned - Very good, but not nearly as clean as Wembley and did seem to be out of time at parts, particularly Danny, but as I managed to film this too I suppose I can't complain.

Flood - Wow! What a surprise. BRILLIANT!

Lateralus - Started great, soon to be ruined by THAT drummer. Maynard was just walking back and forth shaking his head, not quite knowing what to do, talking to Adam, Danny and then someone backstage. However, they did recover and the finish with the lasers was awesome. It’s a shame I got caught red handed with my camera at this point, lol.

WTF did the plants have to do with the weather? Maynard, lol.

Vicarious - God, there are no words, except for epic and immense.

Aenima - Song of the night, after Stinkfist. The way the fans react is amazing, as always. Singing every word along in time with Maynard. The atmosphere was electric.

I missed Wings & 10,000 Days, but felt that the music and Maynards’ rapport with the fans were incredible.

It finished with a standing ovation as the four embraced on stage.

I am exhausted, but I can't wait for tonight as I will be downstairs.

Last edited by Shax; 08-22-2007 at 05:43 AM..
Old 08-22-2007, 05:00 AM   #22
wolf sweater

Bincount™: 205

Awesome show.

Russian Circles were just ok, none the less, they were a refreshing change from Mastadon, who were brutal at Wembley.

The sound was great up on the circle where we were seated.

Jambi - Great opening.

Stinkfist (Extended) - Just before they started Maynard asked Adam twice if they should do it tonight or tomorrow night, so it was obvious that something special was coming, and special it was. I've never seen the extended version live and it was breathtaking to say the least, and I managed to film it in it's entirety without attracting the attention of the over zealous security personal. I hope they play it again tonight.

46&2 and Schism - Both drove the crowd crazy and were amazing.

Rosetta Stoned - Very good, but not nearly as clean as Wembley and did seem to be out of time at parts, particularly Danny, but as I managed to film this too I suppose I can't complain.

Flood - Wow! What a surprise. BRILLIANT!

Lateralus - Started great, soon to be ruined by THAT drummer. Maynard was just walking back and forth shaking his head, not quite knowing what to do, talking to Adam, Danny and then someone backstage. However, they did recover and the finish with the lasers was awesome. It’s a shame I got caught red handed with my camera at this point, lol.

WTF did the plants have to do with the weather? Maynard, lol.

Vicarious - God, there are no words, except for epic and immense.

Aenima - Song of the night, after Stinkfist. The way the fans react is amazing, as always. Singing every word along in time with Maynard. The atmosphere was electric.

I missed Wings & 10,000 Days, but felt that the music and Maynards’ rapport with the fans were incredible.

It finished with a standing ovation as the four embraced on stage.

I am exhausted, but I can't wait for tonight as I will be downstairs.

Last edited by Shax; 08-22-2007 at 05:43 AM..
OFFLINE |  
PI Syndrome's Avatar PI Syndrome
08-22-2007, 07:20 AM

Second time seeing Tool on this tour and I’ve got to say it was really poor, i know your all gonna shout me down for this but its true. Flood did rule and so did Aenima but no wings and Maynard play his bloody keyboard fr 10 minutes instead of a real song. The set list was cut short from Nottingham gig last Dec. It felt like the tour has gone on to long and they are sick of the same songs. I don’t know where to start with Lateralus i hope they were embarrassed by that it was the worst idea every(and i have no clue as to who the drummer was) it bugs me because its one of my fav songs and to see it murdered like that grates big time. oh well lets see what tonight brings.

Tool still rock and i will be going to see em again but they needs a kick up the back side,
Every get the feeling youve been ripped off?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

Second time seeing Tool on this tour and I’ve got to say it was really poor, i know your all gonna shout me down for this but its true. Flood did rule and so did Aenima but no wings and Maynard play his bloody keyboard fr 10 minutes instead of a real song. The set list was cut short from Nottingham gig last Dec. It felt like the tour has gone on to long and they are sick of the same songs. I don’t know where to start with Lateralus i hope they were embarrassed by that it was the worst idea every(and i have no clue as to who the drummer was) it bugs me because its one of my fav songs and to see it murdered like that grates big time. oh well lets see what tonight brings.

Tool still rock and i will be going to see em again but they needs a kick up the back side,
Every get the feeling youve been ripped off?
OFFLINE |  
platformstrange's Avatar platformstrange
08-22-2007, 08:10 AM

1.BIG love from Brixton to To0l !!!
2. Thankyou guys.

Can't really fault 'em, you get the odd mistake when playing so hard, it just gave the whole thing so much more energy. Cliched i know but they plain and simple ROCKED. Danny broke a stick during stinkfist, playing absolutely balls out. (Kudos Mr Carey)

Smoking ban sucks a** but with those truly dark chocolates the evening was most psychedelic. (besides it meant Maynard didn't have to wear his gas mike this time round.)

Thought it was the BASS PLAYER from RC who was out played by a pot plant !
I thought Maynard was saying the plant would take his place if things didn't improve.

(almost) Anyone in the audience could have done so much better. It was a tool gig after all, so there was a strong percentage of anal drum nerds (well musicians in general) in the house. (gripe over)

Nice to have Flood in there for the OG's, suddenly all das kindergarten stopped singing along (strange that).

Highlights: stinkfist, ROSETTA STONED, always makes me smile:) (if you're brave enough to go out that far, this song makes so much more sense), aenima ! bliss....

NOTE:- To the tool virgin we helped sneak in downstairs with our ol ticket switcheroo trick. Hope this missive finds you well and you got exactly you wanted, or had in mind. Did you manage to down your last 5 cans of ste**a ??

Are we SURE The Dead ain't tourin'?

Flappy grails... and flaming stealth lobsters.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:10 AM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

1.BIG love from Brixton to To0l !!!
2. Thankyou guys.

Can't really fault 'em, you get the odd mistake when playing so hard, it just gave the whole thing so much more energy. Cliched i know but they plain and simple ROCKED. Danny broke a stick during stinkfist, playing absolutely balls out. (Kudos Mr Carey)

Smoking ban sucks a** but with those truly dark chocolates the evening was most psychedelic. (besides it meant Maynard didn't have to wear his gas mike this time round.)

Thought it was the BASS PLAYER from RC who was out played by a pot plant !
I thought Maynard was saying the plant would take his place if things didn't improve.

(almost) Anyone in the audience could have done so much better. It was a tool gig after all, so there was a strong percentage of anal drum nerds (well musicians in general) in the house. (gripe over)

Nice to have Flood in there for the OG's, suddenly all das kindergarten stopped singing along (strange that).

Highlights: stinkfist, ROSETTA STONED, always makes me smile:) (if you're brave enough to go out that far, this song makes so much more sense), aenima ! bliss....

NOTE:- To the tool virgin we helped sneak in downstairs with our ol ticket switcheroo trick. Hope this missive finds you well and you got exactly you wanted, or had in mind. Did you manage to down your last 5 cans of ste**a ??

Are we SURE The Dead ain't tourin'?

Flappy grails... and flaming stealth lobsters.
OFFLINE |  
DrChino
08-22-2007, 08:12 AM

yeah the drummer for laterlus seemed a bit out of place! He tried his best but he certainly seemed daunted trying to keep up with Danny!

Wheres wings?!

Ah well, going again tonight, just hope they don't play exactly the same setlist *crosses fingers for pushit*
Old 08-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

yeah the drummer for laterlus seemed a bit out of place! He tried his best but he certainly seemed daunted trying to keep up with Danny!

Wheres wings?!

Ah well, going again tonight, just hope they don't play exactly the same setlist *crosses fingers for pushit*
OFFLINE |  
Pablo's Avatar Pablo
08-22-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI Syndrome View Post
Ever get the feeling youve been ripped off?
It's quality not quantity - when will (many of you) people realise they're not a "human jukebox" they don't take requests and part of the reason many people like Tool is they do things on their own terms...so if they want to play 90 minutes, so be it...

My thoughts - I was there (15th Tool show?) and I really enjoyed it - I've been to loads worse gigs at Brixton, and of course we'd all like them to play a four hour set including everything else they didn't do on the night ('Eulogy' for me), but get real... maybe Maynard's still recovering from his throat infection and has to cut the sets down a little in order to get through 3 UK gigs back to back?

I couldn't see Danny and the bloke that wasn't in Russian Cicrcles from where I was stood so the drum off (although crap) maybe wasn't as painful to hear as it was to watch? : )

And closing with Aenima was (as someone else pointed out) an unexpected treat.

See you tonight...
Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI Syndrome View Post
Ever get the feeling youve been ripped off?
It's quality not quantity - when will (many of you) people realise they're not a "human jukebox" they don't take requests and part of the reason many people like Tool is they do things on their own terms...so if they want to play 90 minutes, so be it...

My thoughts - I was there (15th Tool show?) and I really enjoyed it - I've been to loads worse gigs at Brixton, and of course we'd all like them to play a four hour set including everything else they didn't do on the night ('Eulogy' for me), but get real... maybe Maynard's still recovering from his throat infection and has to cut the sets down a little in order to get through 3 UK gigs back to back?

I couldn't see Danny and the bloke that wasn't in Russian Cicrcles from where I was stood so the drum off (although crap) maybe wasn't as painful to hear as it was to watch? : )

And closing with Aenima was (as someone else pointed out) an unexpected treat.

See you tonight...
OFFLINE |  
koobcam
08-22-2007, 08:51 AM

I couldn't hear Maynard for nearly the whole gig. Desperately upsetting. Songs like rosetta stoned were just noise to me.

Did no one else think that they went off beat about 3 or 4 times during last night? It really surprised me - Hammersmith and the MEN were really tight, not to mention the Lateralus tour.

There was some dick on shrooms or something right behind me, that made it his business to try to crush my girlfriend at one point. I let it pass twice, and then once with a warning, but when he grabbed the fence so he could get yet more weight onto us during the crowd surge at the end of stinkfist, I headbutted him. I threw my headback and tonked him right on the skull. Then I turned round and lost it. I guess stinkfist and that guy were just the wrong combination. The security guards jumped in (I was right at the middle) and told him to calm down and not keep doing what he was doing. I am glad they did that.

Sad to say - worst tool gig I have been to. I really, really enjoyed the first load of gigs, now I think a lot of the teenage moshers just ruin it for me. Seating next time for this old (23) fart.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 AM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 55

I couldn't hear Maynard for nearly the whole gig. Desperately upsetting. Songs like rosetta stoned were just noise to me.

Did no one else think that they went off beat about 3 or 4 times during last night? It really surprised me - Hammersmith and the MEN were really tight, not to mention the Lateralus tour.

There was some dick on shrooms or something right behind me, that made it his business to try to crush my girlfriend at one point. I let it pass twice, and then once with a warning, but when he grabbed the fence so he could get yet more weight onto us during the crowd surge at the end of stinkfist, I headbutted him. I threw my headback and tonked him right on the skull. Then I turned round and lost it. I guess stinkfist and that guy were just the wrong combination. The security guards jumped in (I was right at the middle) and told him to calm down and not keep doing what he was doing. I am glad they did that.

Sad to say - worst tool gig I have been to. I really, really enjoyed the first load of gigs, now I think a lot of the teenage moshers just ruin it for me. Seating next time for this old (23) fart.
OFFLINE |  
xeonman9000
08-22-2007, 10:44 AM

If they had played Nottingham's setlist at that venue, it would have been even better than Nottingham, I was really gutted they didn't play Wings, that was far and away Nottingham's highlight, and the main reason I went to see them again.
The set was also too short, Nottingham was at least 20 minutes longer IIRC.
Russian Circles were awesome though for a support band, I will definitely check them out.
Also the sound wasn't as good as Nottingham, it was pretty terrible to start with, but did get better.
The guest on Lateralus was a dying guy from the Make A Wish Foundation, who probably asked to meet Tool, and they asked if he wanted to bash some drums on stage with them (like you would say no).
Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #28
Level 2 - Poster

If they had played Nottingham's setlist at that venue, it would have been even better than Nottingham, I was really gutted they didn't play Wings, that was far and away Nottingham's highlight, and the main reason I went to see them again.
The set was also too short, Nottingham was at least 20 minutes longer IIRC.
Russian Circles were awesome though for a support band, I will definitely check them out.
Also the sound wasn't as good as Nottingham, it was pretty terrible to start with, but did get better.
The guest on Lateralus was a dying guy from the Make A Wish Foundation, who probably asked to meet Tool, and they asked if he wanted to bash some drums on stage with them (like you would say no).
OFFLINE |  
koobcam
08-22-2007, 12:05 PM

I forgot to mention that I have Danny Carey's drumstick here with my... on my desk. I am going to get it framed I think.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6...8212241kr2.jpg

The item in question:

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3...8212347jb1.jpg
Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

I forgot to mention that I have Danny Carey's drumstick here with my... on my desk. I am going to get it framed I think.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6...8212241kr2.jpg

The item in question:

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3...8212347jb1.jpg
OFFLINE |  
Rav's Avatar Rav
08-22-2007, 12:37 PM

I'm pretty sure that when Maynard said the thing about the Make a Wish Foundation it was a joke...

He said something along the lines of "This is Mike from the Make A Wish Foundation, he's sick so we've let him come up here and we're giving him this plant pot. Hope it helps!"
Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #30
Rav

Bincount™: 1

I'm pretty sure that when Maynard said the thing about the Make a Wish Foundation it was a joke...

He said something along the lines of "This is Mike from the Make A Wish Foundation, he's sick so we've let him come up here and we're giving him this plant pot. Hope it helps!"
OFFLINE |  
GK666
08-22-2007, 01:39 PM

Ha Pablo - you say is quality not quantity - then you drop how many Tool gigs you've been too. Hilarious.
I dont want to to turn this into a flaming match or anything like that, but it hurts me to say that I was a little disappointed last night. This was the third time in England on the 10,000 days tour, so to ask for a change of the occasional song is not too much to ask. I mean, this is the band that we all bow down to with regards to musicianship etc... I'm not asking for the complete discography, but how about dropping Stinkfist for H.... you get what I'm saying?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #31
Level 3 - Talker

Ha Pablo - you say is quality not quantity - then you drop how many Tool gigs you've been too. Hilarious.
I dont want to to turn this into a flaming match or anything like that, but it hurts me to say that I was a little disappointed last night. This was the third time in England on the 10,000 days tour, so to ask for a change of the occasional song is not too much to ask. I mean, this is the band that we all bow down to with regards to musicianship etc... I'm not asking for the complete discography, but how about dropping Stinkfist for H.... you get what I'm saying?
OFFLINE |  
08-22-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeonman9000 View Post
yeah that was real nice of them.....I wonder what he was dying of.....maybe gullibility....
Old 08-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #32
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeonman9000 View Post
yeah that was real nice of them.....I wonder what he was dying of.....maybe gullibility....
OFFLINE |  
Rav's Avatar Rav
08-22-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theescapedslave View Post
Thank you... I was beginning to think I was the only one who got that joke...
Old 08-22-2007, 03:04 PM   #33
Rav

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theescapedslave View Post
Thank you... I was beginning to think I was the only one who got that joke...
OFFLINE |  
xeonman9000
08-22-2007, 03:36 PM

Damn, who's the goose? I am.

Today's show sounds a lot better, they played Wings! I was going to go to that one, but my sister made me go yesterday so she could go to Leeds fest!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #34
Level 2 - Poster

Damn, who's the goose? I am.

Today's show sounds a lot better, they played Wings! I was going to go to that one, but my sister made me go yesterday so she could go to Leeds fest!
OFFLINE |  
me01jh
08-22-2007, 03:44 PM

This was the fourth time I have seen Tool and by far the most disappointing!

I'm afraid Tool suffered from what I call "small venue syndrome". This is what happens when the sound engineers decide to turn everything up to full volume and drown out the singing. From where I was (to the right of the mixing desk) you could hardly hear Maynard and when you have a voice as subtle and beautiful as Maynards it needs to be heard! I've experienced this so many times its extremely frustrating because as a result the ordiance lose interest and start to chat or worse still, go back and forth to the bar creating even more distraction as they try to squeeze past.

As a performance it seemed good and the visuals were spot on, I just wish the most important thing, the sound, was done to perfection as most other things done by Tool are.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:44 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

This was the fourth time I have seen Tool and by far the most disappointing!

I'm afraid Tool suffered from what I call "small venue syndrome". This is what happens when the sound engineers decide to turn everything up to full volume and drown out the singing. From where I was (to the right of the mixing desk) you could hardly hear Maynard and when you have a voice as subtle and beautiful as Maynards it needs to be heard! I've experienced this so many times its extremely frustrating because as a result the ordiance lose interest and start to chat or worse still, go back and forth to the bar creating even more distraction as they try to squeeze past.

As a performance it seemed good and the visuals were spot on, I just wish the most important thing, the sound, was done to perfection as most other things done by Tool are.
OFFLINE |  
kerplunk
08-22-2007, 09:14 PM

this was the 3rd time i saw tool and have to say was by far the best, noticed a few ppls complaining about the sound, i was sitting upstairs on the balcony and the sound was perfect, not being able to smoke was really annoying, but the toilet cubicles were put to good use, did you guys on the floor notice the sun shaped spotlight on adam jones during the solo for jambi??
this show just seemed bigger and better than the hammersmith and wembley in terms of visuals and stage set up, was the perfect send off for the 10,000 days album,
now the looong wait till their next album :(
hopefully puscifier should tide me through!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

this was the 3rd time i saw tool and have to say was by far the best, noticed a few ppls complaining about the sound, i was sitting upstairs on the balcony and the sound was perfect, not being able to smoke was really annoying, but the toilet cubicles were put to good use, did you guys on the floor notice the sun shaped spotlight on adam jones during the solo for jambi??
this show just seemed bigger and better than the hammersmith and wembley in terms of visuals and stage set up, was the perfect send off for the 10,000 days album,
now the looong wait till their next album :(
hopefully puscifier should tide me through!
OFFLINE |  
koobcam
08-22-2007, 09:33 PM

I agree that if you were standing - Maynard could not actually be hear at all...
Old 08-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

I agree that if you were standing - Maynard could not actually be hear at all...
OFFLINE |  
Pablo's Avatar Pablo
08-23-2007, 02:21 AM

GK666 - "the quality not quantity" line was about the quality of what you do see vs the length of the gig / and someone was feeling "ripped off" and was nothing to do with how many times I've been to see them, but yeah as you say - no-one's trying to start an argument!

I totally get your point, I thought last nights gig was way better, but still I'd happily not see Schism / Rosetta Stoned for a good few shows for something else (Opiate?!)...

Did you all see the "one-off" litho(s) for £200? Was sorely tempted but it had gone by the time I hit the merch stand after the show...
Old 08-23-2007, 02:21 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

GK666 - "the quality not quantity" line was about the quality of what you do see vs the length of the gig / and someone was feeling "ripped off" and was nothing to do with how many times I've been to see them, but yeah as you say - no-one's trying to start an argument!

I totally get your point, I thought last nights gig was way better, but still I'd happily not see Schism / Rosetta Stoned for a good few shows for something else (Opiate?!)...

Did you all see the "one-off" litho(s) for £200? Was sorely tempted but it had gone by the time I hit the merch stand after the show...
OFFLINE |  
readyfuels
08-23-2007, 03:28 AM

Brilliant show. 2nd time seeing Tool. I think I mentally hyped it up a little much, but it was quality. Great support band to get the mood going, good solid Tool performance. Shorter than I'd have liked, but the quality of performance made up for it.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:28 AM   #39
Level 3 - Talker

Brilliant show. 2nd time seeing Tool. I think I mentally hyped it up a little much, but it was quality. Great support band to get the mood going, good solid Tool performance. Shorter than I'd have liked, but the quality of performance made up for it.
08-23-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Were you at the front on the left side? There was a guy near me who was told to calm down. People moshing throughout the entire set was just irritating IMO - don't get me wrong, when I go to extreme metal gigs I don't care that people mosh (although I tend to avoid the pit), but I suspect I'm far from being the only one who thinks it's totally out of place an a Tool concert. Not everyone wants to be crushed during Lateralus and I spent most of the gig trying not to fall over.

It was cool that they played Flood. Didn't expect that.
Quote:
It was the introduction to Flood! It's on Undertow. :P

Did anyone notice the kaleidoscopic effect thing, on the screen during Lateralus, that showed Danny playing? That was a cool effect.

Russian Circles have a really interesting style but could do with some variation. It seems like they've found something that works and have stopped experimenting, which is a shame.

The hairs on the tail of God are monstrous.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:26 AM   #40
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Were you at the front on the left side? There was a guy near me who was told to calm down. People moshing throughout the entire set was just irritating IMO - don't get me wrong, when I go to extreme metal gigs I don't care that people mosh (although I tend to avoid the pit), but I suspect I'm far from being the only one who thinks it's totally out of place an a Tool concert. Not everyone wants to be crushed during Lateralus and I spent most of the gig trying not to fall over.

It was cool that they played Flood. Didn't expect that.
Quote:
It was the introduction to Flood! It's on Undertow. :P

Did anyone notice the kaleidoscopic effect thing, on the screen during Lateralus, that showed Danny playing? That was a cool effect.

Russian Circles have a really interesting style but could do with some variation. It seems like they've found something that works and have stopped experimenting, which is a shame.

The hairs on the tail of God are monstrous.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply