opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #121
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13
Re: 2006/09/29 - Mansfield, MA - Tweeter Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi View Post
I'm the one with the 'long brown hair'. The girl with the blonde pigtails was driving us crazy! She was very drunk & high! She actually asked the security guard in front of her if he had any weed! She almost got thrown out.
I could hear him singing pretty well, but could not make out much of what he said when he spoke! I was just soooo excited to see them that close! I wish I could have heard all the 'Maynardisms' better though. The vocals could have been louder though. I was just insane, I was so excited.
I was directly behind you! All of you in 1st row were up against the railing so you were about 5 feet in front of me. Thanks for being short BTW ;)

The pigtail chick was a character, dressed in a plaid outfit and big white sunglasses. She was in front of a guy two seats to my left, along with her boyfriend with the tshirt with "FUCK YOU" on the back. I found her amusing at first because she wasn't directly in front of me, but I lost all respect when she walked out at the start of Wings for Marie. Who the fuck walks away from front row during Wings and 10,000 Days?

You were into it like a true fan. So was I. Certainly a night to remember.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #122
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma Bear View Post
The fucking place has bubblers you jackass. Besides, if you want something from the vendor, you need to wait in line just like everybody else.

Ya know what pisses me off? Trying to walk some place, and people waiting in line to get water and energy drinks block the flow of traffic. I paid to see Tool, I didnt pay for a human labyrinth to walk through.
You're probably fat, hah hah.

Seriously it took me maybe 45 seconds to get what I needed...

Whether or not I planned on getting food, I would rather wait behind someone making a quick transaction, then fattie with the sausage sub.

...and by the way...I'm all set with drinking from a public water bubbler...being used by a bunch of, drunk, sloppy, dirty fucks...for mystery Tweeter center water...you may already have hepatitis...but I don't and am not interested in getting it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 09:58 PM   #123
Level 1 - Lurker

I got a setlist, backstage pass and some other swag. I might scan it at some point.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 05:25 AM   #124
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseToYourHalo View Post
I was directly behind you! All of you in 1st row were up against the railing so you were about 5 feet in front of me. Thanks for being short BTW ;)

The pigtail chick was a character, dressed in a plaid outfit and big white sunglasses. She was in front of a guy two seats to my left, along with her boyfriend with the tshirt with "FUCK YOU" on the back. I found her amusing at first because she wasn't directly in front of me, but I lost all respect when she walked out at the start of Wings for Marie. Who the fuck walks away from front row during Wings and 10,000 Days?

You were into it like a true fan. So was I. Certainly a night to remember.
LOL! Glad I could help you by being short (hehehehheee) oh well, at least it helps someone out. Anyway, OOH were you the guy looking for the Danny's drumstick? Who ever found that anyway? It disappeared! I was hoping to catch something. Danny threw his partially full bottle of gatoraide at us, I got it all over me but I didn't catch the bottle. I don't need their garbage anyway. That seems a little desparate to me. (then again I reached for it like a crazy groupie!!!)
Yes - it certainly was a night to remember!!!!!!!!!!

Oh that crazy chic, I know!! How could you keep leaving like that during wings??? She was insane, I beleive she had to keep shooting up or something! Idiot.

Last edited by Judi; 10-03-2006 at 05:29 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 07:19 AM   #125
Level 3 - Talker

And Isis, for the record, were great. It was nice to see them finally get to play on a huge stage at a huge venue in front of their home crowd.

A lot of Tool fans have been bashing them here and calling them a Tool rip-off. That couldn't be farther from the truth. That shows the one-track mind. Isis is a band that needs your undivided attention. You need time to soak in their albums, to listen for a while, to fully appreciate everything (don't you remember you also did this with Tool upon the first listens?).

Celestial, Oceanic, Panopticon and their soon to be released In Absence of Truth are brilliant. Absorb it.
1. Fitchburg, MA 2.28.97---2. Mansfield, MA 7.07.98---3. Lewiston, ME 7.08.98---4. Mansfield, MA 7.09.98---5. Portland, ME 9.20.01---6. Mansfield, MA 9.21.01---7. Hartford, CT 9.22.01--- 8. Boston, MA 8.16.02---9. Manchester, NH 8.18.02---10. Mansfield, MA 9.29.06---11. Mansfield, MA 7.12.07---12. Manchester, NH 8.02.09
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 07:28 AM   #126
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy31803 View Post
IT. ROCKED.
This is my 3rd Tool show and in my opinion the best that I have ever seen. I was in Section 8, Row G and I could hear every damn thing without a problem.

I was 1 row behind you, seats 1 & 2. I agree with you, the sound right there was amazing!

This was my first Tool show and I was pretty much blown away. My buddy (a guitarist himself) was completely amazed with how well they knew every note of their songs. Wings and 10,000 were cool, Lateralus was sweet, but the first 3 songs were a complete boot to the ass. I can't believe how strong they started that show. Every expectation I had for my first live Tool show was shattered.

And apparently I was retardedly drunk/high, because I thought Rosetta Stoned sounded perfectly fine. Maybe I was in one of the famed TC Sweet Spots?

Either way I HAVE to see them again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 07:39 AM   #127
Level 1 - Lurker

I though Rossetta sounded fantastic.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 08:49 AM   #128
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake View Post
Maybe he fucked up on Aenema too (which he did, he switched the fuck L ron hubbard part with the fuck all you junkies part). Did you notice that? Maybe you aren't a true tool fan if you didn't mention it.
So he did switch those...I thought I was just tripping or something...haha
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 09:00 AM   #129
Level 2 - Poster

First Tool show, 2nd row center behind judi.Was with two of my favorite people on this planet, risetoyourhalo and her hubby. Great show, couldn't hear Maynard though, and had the great fortune of having the biggest goon in front of the stage directly in front of me doing his best toughguy pose and shining his flashlight at folks who were sparking up....chick in the pig tails was kinda annoying as was her boyfriend with the fuck you shirt. Wish Maynard would have come to the front of the stage.... laser show rocked, next time i'll smoke more and maybe find some peyote....can't wait till the next one.....

Last edited by riffraff; 10-03-2006 at 09:48 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 AM   #130
Level 1 - Lurker

This was the most visually-impaired show I've ever been to; I was off to the side & couldn't see Danny at all, other than when he stood up. This sucked; I'd been looking forward to seeing him play, he's great. The amp stacks/monitors also blocked most of the background video screens; tough luck for me.
I consider myself lucky to have gone at all, though; until now, something bad happened to keep me away from every tour. In '92 (or thereabouts), I didn't find out about their local show until the day after; for Aenema, I got a ticket, but the venue (The Strand, Providence RI) was oversold & we couldn't get in; for Lateralus, my own extreme poverty intervened. When I saw that they canceled or postponed some shows on this tour, I thought the Gods were preparing to intervene against me again, but they didn't, so I shouldn't complain.
I think it's obvious that the Tweeter Center has sound quality variations; many had trouble with that, but I had none, I could hear all the instruments/vocals well, and very loud (Section 1).
I stopped reading the concert reviews weeks ago so that I'd be surprised by the setlist, and since I'm only seeing them once on this tour, the fact that they aren't changing it hasn't bothered me. If I could've chosen the songs, yes, I'd have moved some things around, but since (to me) Tool has no songs that I didn't want to hear, it was no problem (I love Pink Floyd, but don't care for Money; I love Guns 'N Roses, but HATE Sweet Child O' Mine). Is anyone else out there pining for The Grudge?
Many bands seem to go through the motions live, almost sounding like cover versions of their own songs, while Tool was aggressively doing what they do; everything sounded great.
A couple of questions for the know-everything (I'm not being sarcastic; I'm looking for help) Tool-heads out there: I've heard about a spring tour - is that supposed to return to the U.S.?
The other question: a couple of years ago, maybe just after they finished the Lateralus tour, I read (online) an interview (in a music magazine) with a member of Tool (maybe Danny, but I'm not sure). Danny or whoever was asked about when fans could expect the next album, and answered that it first depended on what Tool decided to do, because there were two ways to go: either a regular album, or a concept album, because they had an idea for one that they were eventually going to do, and the concept album would take longer. The interview mentioned the concept being like The Wall (Pink Floyd); I'm not sure if the interviewer or Tool member said that. I didn't save the interview, and never heard another peep about it anywhere. Does this ring any bells for anyone? A Tool concept album would be very interesting.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #131
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
First Tool show, 2nd row center behind dharma bear.Was with two of my favorite people on this planet, risetoyourhalo and her hubby. Great show, couldn't hear Maynard though, and had the great fortune of having the biggest goon in front of the stage directly in front of me doing his best toughguy pose and shining his flashlight at folks who were sparking up....chick in the pig tails was kinda annoying as was her boyfriend with the fuck you shirt. Wish Maynard would have come to the front of the stage.... laser show rocked, next time i'll smoke more and maybe find some peyote....can't wait till the next one.....
Wow ! you were in back of me too, I'm the one with the long hair, I was jumping around like an idiot, I couldn't help it. That pigtails girl was nuts. Did you guys get Danny's drumstick that he threw? I thought "RisetoyourHalo" was a guy who might have found it. Anyway it's funny that we're all meeting here days after!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #132
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I'm still in shock!!!! Front ROW - NO One, in front of me except for a couple of security guards. The music was incredible. Maynard was beautiful! I was out of control jumping up and down but I couldn't help it, it was so intense. Every song was tight, and well performed.
**I have one question........ How did some people get backstage passes that's what I want to know?**
Anyway, the last time I saw them it was the exact opposite experience. I had lawn seats, we were on the bleachers at the very back of the field. We were rained on (yes Maynard did say those are the true fans, because were being poured on) but I still didn't like it too much. The show was no where near as good as this one.
I can't wait to see them again!!!!
Judi, we were right behind you....i was with risetoyourhalo....i just missed a drumstick...one of you guys deflected it......guess you had to jump anyhow with that jerkface in front of you..i'll never forget how pissed off he looked staring at all of us, guess he was missing his bowling night and was thinking about kicking his wife and kids' asses...... you were rocking out.....
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #133
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
Judi, we were right behind you....i was with risetoyourhalo....i just missed a drumstick...one of you guys deflected it......guess you had to jump anyhow with that jerkface in front of you..i'll never forget how pissed off he looked staring at all of us, guess he was missing his bowling night and was thinking about kicking his wife and kids' asses...... you were rocking out.....
RiffRaff, I know the guard in front of me was huge too! I kept trying to look around him, for the most part I could see OK though. Yeah he was probably missing bowling night! hhhehehehHAHAAA. I didn't deflect because I wasn't really near it, the guy next to me was diving for it! I thought him and the guy in back of me, (who was probably with you) were going to fight for it! It just disappeared, that's weird. Who cares, I don't need souveneers to remember that night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 12:15 PM   #134
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Wow ! you were in back of me too, I'm the one with the long hair, I was jumping around like an idiot, I couldn't help it. That pigtails girl was nuts. Did you guys get Danny's drumstick that he threw? I thought "RisetoyourHalo" was a guy who might have found it. Anyway it's funny that we're all meeting here days after!
For one sweet moment in time it looked like that stick was coming right at me... until someone in 1st row deflected it. There was quite a shuffle in 2nd and 3rd row for that drumstick. It was the guy in 3rd row right behind me and riffraff that got the stick. He tucked it under his shirt so no one would know he got it. He was laughing as all of were still searching under the seats. Oh, and I think I was the only female in 2nd row so you might remember me. I had a purple jacket on.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 12:18 PM   #135
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
RiffRaff, I know the guard in front of me was huge too! I kept trying to look around him, for the most part I could see OK though. Yeah he was probably missing bowling night! hhhehehehHAHAAA. I didn't deflect because I wasn't really near it, the guy next to me was diving for it! I thought him and the guy in back of me, (who was probably with you) were going to fight for it! It just disappeared, that's weird. Who cares, I don't need souveneers to remember that night.

The guard in front of you WAS the scowling bonehead I was talking about....Iwas behind you and he was dead ahead of you.....I wasn't too wooried about the stick.....the memories are my souveniers.....been listening to tool all day now,
and watching vids.....halo was kind enough to fill my ipod with a bunch of tool songs...........keep diiging....
riffraff out
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #136
Level 1 - Lurker

Any of you girls that were up front, was one of you the girl I handed a pick to? I know it was a generic dunlop, but Tool doesn't have signature picks...

Anyways, there's a recording of this show (audio) up on dimeadozen.org already. Same taper that recorded the Nails show back in June. Good guy.

Since I never really got to review this show.. I'll keep this short and quick.

---Tool Soundcheck

Adam, Danny and Justin played the beginning of 10,000 Days, complete with the thunder and lightning effects. Sounded fucking amazing.

Maynard walked onto the stage, and the full band played Stinkfist. Maynard only came in at certain points, probably saving his vocal energies for the actual show. The band sounded incredible.

---Isis

Put on a good show, but I didn't feel like being cold for them so I went inside. Can't really say much about them.

---Tool Show

I've seen Tool twice before... Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence 8/17/02 and the Orpheum Theater 5/21/06. Providence was amazing because of the setlist (they fucking played H.!!!) and the Orpheum was amazing because of the size of the venue. However, this show at the Tweeter Center blew them both out of the water for three reasons. #1. Sound quality. The sound was amazing.. all of those subs and PA stacks really do make a difference. #2. This was the only one of the three shows I've seen where Maynard wasn't really struggling. He did a much better job than at either of the other shows. Never even stormed offstage. #3. Wings 1&2. Fucking brilliant song.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 02:38 PM   #137
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlohner View Post
Any of you girls that were up front, was one of you the girl I handed a pick to? I know it was a generic dunlop, but Tool doesn't have signature picks...
HEY, I was up front, I didn't get any picks! Oh well, maybe next time!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #138
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I went. There were some amazing moments at this show. "Jambi" was the absolute baddest ass song they did that night. Just amazing. I wish they'd kept that level up for the entire show. Staring up at the stars on the lawn of Great Woods during the beginning of "Rosetta Stoned" was something I will take with me to the grave. "Lateralus" and "Vicarious" also brought forth some of that old righteousness that I recall from past tours. At points I could hear the crowd singing louder than the band. At moments it was everything I'd hoped for.

But there are some songs on the new album that should have been on an APC album, and didn't need to be played live. It should have been an evening with Tool without an opening act so that they had more time for other songs. The fact they've grown so big that the money is getting in the way sucks. Getting decent seats was impossible for a lot of people. Claims that having nosebleed seats didn't matter ended up being pure bullshit. The band was lacking the consistently passionate intensity that characterized past shows. There was no mystical power or exchange of energy with the crowd or each other that used to set them apart from other technically gifted bands.

So, while they wowed me at points, I'd have to say that I expected a lot more considering all the hype and expense.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:20 AM   #139
Level 1 - Lurker

" Overwhelmed as one would be placed in my position...." The highlight moment of the album and in, turn, the highlight moment of the show. My first ever TOOL show, and although the experts may say the were off their game, that was one epic concert. NO other band does what they do. The sound quality was balls, and the Maynards vocals were very clear and strong - rare for bands that rock hard. I cant wait for my next one whenever that may be.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 05:59 AM   #140
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseToYourHalo View Post
For one sweet moment in time it looked like that stick was coming right at me... until someone in 1st row deflected it. There was quite a shuffle in 2nd and 3rd row for that drumstick. It was the guy in 3rd row right behind me and riffraff that got the stick. He tucked it under his shirt so no one would know he got it. He was laughing as all of were still searching under the seats. Oh, and I think I was the only female in 2nd row so you might remember me. I had a purple jacket on.
Hey RiseToYourHalo, I don't remember any girls in back of me. I don't know why. Well I do know, my eyes were glued to the stage, I did see that guy trying to get the drumstick and almost get into a fight with the guy next to me, but that's it.
I'm still numb from this concert, I can't beleive I was there! I better not have to wait as long to see them again!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 06:36 AM   #141
Level 1 - Lurker

I was sitting sec.1 row x with 3 of my friends. The show was amazing from where we were. The sound was very loud. We had the PA system about 10 yards from our head so at some points to was deafing but still amazing. I noticed that justin messed up on 10000 days in the begining but finally jumped in to play it perfectly. I made sure i left to get to the show early so i wouldnt get stuck in a accident trafic. This is my first show in this tour 5th all together. Id have to say that this was my favorite one by far that is until i see them in hartford. Just bought tix for that show yesterday and somehow ended up with sec 2 row K. Well thats my 2 cents peace out.

Last edited by toolparabols; 10-04-2006 at 06:48 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #142
Level 2 - Poster

i saw them, although i was in section 9 or wherever i was blown away, i thought the sounds was great, vocals and otherwise, i even spent some time up at the lawn section and besides some of the pillars being in the way, it sounded great out there too. Or maybe it was because i was just rolling...

no definately not they kicked unmeasurable amounts off ass at that show, i'm glad i'm no longer a tool show virgin

~~~~~~~

"...if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 01:23 PM   #143
Level 1 - Lurker

this was my first tool concert, and actually, my first concert ever. amazing. i still have nothing bad to say about it.

anyone catch the opening to vicarious? i thought that 3 min intro is the best bit of music they have ever done besides lateralus + schism.

holy fucking shit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #144
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Hey RiseToYourHalo, I don't remember any girls in back of me. I don't know why. Well I do know, my eyes were glued to the stage, I did see that guy trying to get the drumstick and almost get into a fight with the guy next to me, but that's it.
I'm still numb from this concert, I can't beleive I was there! I better not have to wait as long to see them again!!
I was there (I have long brown curly hair). I didn't get a good look at anyone behind me either.

I just got great tickets to the Hartford show for tomorrow night, although not on the floor. I wasn't planning to go but some very forunate events conspired in my favor. Wish you could go too Judi. I'd meet up with you! Maybe next time. Hopefully it won't be five years from now.

redlohner: It wasn't me you gave the pick to. Damn it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #145
Level 1 - Lurker

Well that was my 2nd tool concert, and NOTHING will be better than the disposition/reflection/triad performace back in 02 (Continental Airlines Arena...I had my mommy drive me! oh the high school days)

Got section 4 tix, row C (one up from the chairs) it was the most annoying spot in the whole freakin place cuz of all the people walking in front of me, and the freakin kids running away from security cuz they wanted better seats were kind of rediculous....but show was great. Sound was great. Setlist was great. Loved the energy

Plus this 40 year old woman was totally into me cuz i knew all the new lyrics.

thats always a good sign.

overall

It was well worth the 4 years.

Now come back in spring!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #146
Level 3 - Talker

What a fucking amazing time. This was by far one of, if not the greatest spectacle I have ever witnessed in my life. I thought the band was dead on. They outlived my expectations on every level. I was dead center in section 6. I had an awesome view of everything. They played the fuck out of every single song and it showed. Danny Carey is never really heard on any album the way you can hear him live, he is just insane. Adam Jones just gets better and better all the time. He is in a category all by himself. He plays so hard and doesn't even seem to try. Justin justs rocks out and Maynard... well Maynard is Maynard. This was my first show and I was amazed. It makes me love Tool even more than I ever did. But I have to say that I will never pay 43 dollars for a Tool t-shirt. Sorry guys, I love your music but I won't pay that for a shirt. Kickass show!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:13 PM   #147
Level 1 - Lurker

13th show. thank you tool.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: