Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Spring 2014
User Name
Password
kanaduh
03-11-2014, 11:30 PM

Last edited by kanaduh; 03-16-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Old 03-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45
March 11th - San Francisco, CA

Last edited by kanaduh; 03-16-2014 at 08:02 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
the_yeti
03-12-2014, 05:35 AM

Opiate. That fcuking ripped. Maynard, "who is going to be here tomorrow? yeah, me too"

Otherwise, same show as Reno. Anemia and Stinkfist tore down the place. I have never seen the floor at the Bill Graham that packed before.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: March 12th - San Francisco, CA

Opiate. That fcuking ripped. Maynard, "who is going to be here tomorrow? yeah, me too"

Otherwise, same show as Reno. Anemia and Stinkfist tore down the place. I have never seen the floor at the Bill Graham that packed before.
sp103
03-12-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_yeti View Post

Where are all the Tool apologists for the latest setlist? The "Oh they moved on from Opiate/Undertow" but play Opiate and the "They can do what ever they want"-including playing 10 songs and 9 out of them from the past 3 tours.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_yeti View Post

Where are all the Tool apologists for the latest setlist? The "Oh they moved on from Opiate/Undertow" but play Opiate and the "They can do what ever they want"-including playing 10 songs and 9 out of them from the past 3 tours.
livid star's Avatar livid star
03-12-2014, 06:22 PM

More importantly: where's the March 11 review thread?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

More importantly: where's the March 11 review thread?
03-12-2014, 07:41 PM

Ha ha, I thought this was the thread for the 11th. Sitting in the seats, waiting for the show to start.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Ha ha, I thought this was the thread for the 11th. Sitting in the seats, waiting for the show to start.
the_yeti
03-12-2014, 08:20 PM

Hooker
vicarious
Schism

Last edited by the_yeti; 03-12-2014 at 08:22 PM..
Old 03-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Hooker
vicarious
Schism

Last edited by the_yeti; 03-12-2014 at 08:22 PM..
the_yeti
03-12-2014, 08:32 PM

Sober
Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Sober
the_yeti
03-12-2014, 10:44 PM

Intensions
Lateralaus
Intermission
Drums
Jambi
46 and two
Aenema
Stinkfist
Old 03-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Intensions
Lateralaus
Intermission
Drums
Jambi
46 and two
Aenema
Stinkfist
LateraL9eight7
03-13-2014, 03:20 AM

Videos.. sound.. energetic? That's good.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 AM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Videos.. sound.. energetic? That's good.
vooligan
03-13-2014, 10:22 AM

First Night was my favorite tool show ever.
Nothing can beats Third Eye,Pushit and the 10 min version of Opiate. Second night was awesome too. Did not imagine to see Sober and it was great. Aenema sounded much better on night two imo.

Awesome shows, can't wait for San Diego.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

First Night was my favorite tool show ever.
Nothing can beats Third Eye,Pushit and the 10 min version of Opiate. Second night was awesome too. Did not imagine to see Sober and it was great. Aenema sounded much better on night two imo.

Awesome shows, can't wait for San Diego.
nrca
03-13-2014, 11:42 AM

Gonna assume this is the first night thread.
Fucking awesome show! Tool is fucking amazing. Always expected for them to put on a great show, and this show was no exception! Love seeing them at the Bill Graham. First time seeing Opiate live, which was one of the songs I've wanted to see most but hadn't yet.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Gonna assume this is the first night thread.
Fucking awesome show! Tool is fucking amazing. Always expected for them to put on a great show, and this show was no exception! Love seeing them at the Bill Graham. First time seeing Opiate live, which was one of the songs I've wanted to see most but hadn't yet.
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
03-13-2014, 03:36 PM

Title should say March 11? Anyway...

Third Eye (Leary intro, extended)
Forty Six & 2
Schism (new intro, double-time extended section)
Pushit
Intension
Lateralus (new extended section)
--Intermission--
Danny Solo
Jambi
Opiate (new extended section)
Ænema
Stinkfist (extended, with a slightly different heavier ending)

If anyone was expecting any "surprises", well--- LOL @ U as I read on the internet once. It's TOOL...I fully expected a further refined version of their previous tour, and not some return to 1998 where they were playing differently-themed shows of wildly different setlists every night filled with guest artists, alternate versions, and cover songs. I still listened to the infamous 7/15/98 Kalamazoo (soundboard) bootleg before the show anyway, though.

Previously I've seen them in 2006, 2010, and 2012, and I hadn't ever heard Pushit or Opiate live, so those were nice treats. I really just wanted to hear Third Eye and Stinkfist again, and got them.

Content-wise, they brought out the old stalwarts---the Third eye extension that debuted in '12, the post-Lateralus-tour double-time section in Schism, extended Stinkfist, etc. However, the experimentation in Lateralus continued with a tighter, more focused and crowd-pleasing section, and Opiate got a pretty wild new middle section too. I almost lost my shit when they were doing the intro to Schism...it sounded very, very similar to the intro of the alternate version of Pushit, but heavier. I kept thinking, "could this be a new, THIRD version of Pushit???" but alas, when the opening Schism chords sounded, I had my answer. Also, it was a good choice to put Danny's solo by itself---it was kind of weird when they'd squeeze it into Lateralus (although, I admittedly really liked the [unique] drum duels they busted out every night).

Visually, they kicked it up another notch yet again. They actually took a small step back in the actual visuals-on-screen, in my humble opinion--during the 2012 tour they had really complex and psychedelic imagery. However, this show clawed back the advantage just by the way it was presented. The intensity of the videos, lights, and lasers went up and down to create a thrilling rollercoaster of an experience. Furthermore, there was one aspect I was particularly impressed by: the amount of light put on the audience. In most shows, and especially Tool shows in past eras, you sit in complete darkness watching the lights move over the performers. However, Tool reversed that paradigm: they lit the audience A LOT. They had projections all around the venue, and at some points it was so bright in my seat that it was almost like the house lights were on. This had a special 'consequence' that I somehow doubt was intentional; normally, the light from hundreds of cell phone screens recording/taking photos can be distracting, and especially when the over-zealous bouncers shine flashlights back into the crowd to dissuade video-makers. However, with so much light shined on the crowd, they became almost completely irrelevant, and it was much easier to focus on the show.

I thought the intermission was excellent. When Lateralus ended, the video screens went up with INTERMISSION and a timer counted down from 12:00. When the timer ended, Danny came out and started his drum solo. So straightforward and to the point...I thought that was really cool. They didn't put on any music (on previous tours they'd have a synth loop) which, like the ramping up and down of visuals, served as a bit of a "palette cleanser" to rest our eardrums and even engage in a bit of actual conversation. I also liked the timer; it gave a sense of certainty. I hate the typical rock band bullshit where they walk off stage and pretend to go home, while the crowd keeps cheering until they come back out. I just wonder what they do for twelve minutes.

There was only one real downer for me: the sound sucked. It was just too damn loud. Maynard sounded horribly tinny, and Justin's bass was just lacking its deep ballsy sound. However, this was by far the LOUDEST crowd I've ever heard at a Tool show--sometimes the extremely loud sound was necessary to drown out the cheering. Whatever, I just wish it had been a little quieter, and thus clearer. Oh well.

On a side note, it's a bummer that the setlist was almost the same two nights in a row. I clarified my position on this years ago when arguing about this was all the rage, but in summary, I can't really blame them for constructing setlists the way they do--they aren't just some dudes playing some songs, they've crafted a meticulously prepared experience. Playing the same setlist in every city is acceptable to me (albeit disappointing as a bootleg enthusiast). HOWEVER, with that said, the only part I really don't understand is, why would they play the same venue two nights in a row if the setlist is almost identical?? Well, now I'm not really disappointed in not going back for the second night...
Old 03-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Title should say March 11? Anyway...

Third Eye (Leary intro, extended)
Forty Six & 2
Schism (new intro, double-time extended section)
Pushit
Intension
Lateralus (new extended section)
--Intermission--
Danny Solo
Jambi
Opiate (new extended section)
Ænema
Stinkfist (extended, with a slightly different heavier ending)

If anyone was expecting any "surprises", well--- LOL @ U as I read on the internet once. It's TOOL...I fully expected a further refined version of their previous tour, and not some return to 1998 where they were playing differently-themed shows of wildly different setlists every night filled with guest artists, alternate versions, and cover songs. I still listened to the infamous 7/15/98 Kalamazoo (soundboard) bootleg before the show anyway, though.

Previously I've seen them in 2006, 2010, and 2012, and I hadn't ever heard Pushit or Opiate live, so those were nice treats. I really just wanted to hear Third Eye and Stinkfist again, and got them.

Content-wise, they brought out the old stalwarts---the Third eye extension that debuted in '12, the post-Lateralus-tour double-time section in Schism, extended Stinkfist, etc. However, the experimentation in Lateralus continued with a tighter, more focused and crowd-pleasing section, and Opiate got a pretty wild new middle section too. I almost lost my shit when they were doing the intro to Schism...it sounded very, very similar to the intro of the alternate version of Pushit, but heavier. I kept thinking, "could this be a new, THIRD version of Pushit???" but alas, when the opening Schism chords sounded, I had my answer. Also, it was a good choice to put Danny's solo by itself---it was kind of weird when they'd squeeze it into Lateralus (although, I admittedly really liked the [unique] drum duels they busted out every night).

Visually, they kicked it up another notch yet again. They actually took a small step back in the actual visuals-on-screen, in my humble opinion--during the 2012 tour they had really complex and psychedelic imagery. However, this show clawed back the advantage just by the way it was presented. The intensity of the videos, lights, and lasers went up and down to create a thrilling rollercoaster of an experience. Furthermore, there was one aspect I was particularly impressed by: the amount of light put on the audience. In most shows, and especially Tool shows in past eras, you sit in complete darkness watching the lights move over the performers. However, Tool reversed that paradigm: they lit the audience A LOT. They had projections all around the venue, and at some points it was so bright in my seat that it was almost like the house lights were on. This had a special 'consequence' that I somehow doubt was intentional; normally, the light from hundreds of cell phone screens recording/taking photos can be distracting, and especially when the over-zealous bouncers shine flashlights back into the crowd to dissuade video-makers. However, with so much light shined on the crowd, they became almost completely irrelevant, and it was much easier to focus on the show.

I thought the intermission was excellent. When Lateralus ended, the video screens went up with INTERMISSION and a timer counted down from 12:00. When the timer ended, Danny came out and started his drum solo. So straightforward and to the point...I thought that was really cool. They didn't put on any music (on previous tours they'd have a synth loop) which, like the ramping up and down of visuals, served as a bit of a "palette cleanser" to rest our eardrums and even engage in a bit of actual conversation. I also liked the timer; it gave a sense of certainty. I hate the typical rock band bullshit where they walk off stage and pretend to go home, while the crowd keeps cheering until they come back out. I just wonder what they do for twelve minutes.

There was only one real downer for me: the sound sucked. It was just too damn loud. Maynard sounded horribly tinny, and Justin's bass was just lacking its deep ballsy sound. However, this was by far the LOUDEST crowd I've ever heard at a Tool show--sometimes the extremely loud sound was necessary to drown out the cheering. Whatever, I just wish it had been a little quieter, and thus clearer. Oh well.

On a side note, it's a bummer that the setlist was almost the same two nights in a row. I clarified my position on this years ago when arguing about this was all the rage, but in summary, I can't really blame them for constructing setlists the way they do--they aren't just some dudes playing some songs, they've crafted a meticulously prepared experience. Playing the same setlist in every city is acceptable to me (albeit disappointing as a bootleg enthusiast). HOWEVER, with that said, the only part I really don't understand is, why would they play the same venue two nights in a row if the setlist is almost identical?? Well, now I'm not really disappointed in not going back for the second night...
03-13-2014, 05:11 PM

Ehh hushypushy, do you know what they played the second night?
Old 03-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Ehh hushypushy, do you know what they played the second night?
03-13-2014, 05:58 PM

Well, I can't say I "know" what they played; I was basing my statements off what the_yeti posted in this thread. It appears that they swapped Third Eye, Pushit, and Opiate for Hooker with a Penis, Vicarious, and Sober.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
Level 11 - Clamorous

Well, I can't say I "know" what they played; I was basing my statements off what the_yeti posted in this thread. It appears that they swapped Third Eye, Pushit, and Opiate for Hooker with a Penis, Vicarious, and Sober.
03-14-2014, 06:32 AM

if swapping three songs out of a 10-song set is still "almost the same", then i don't know what would be a show of a different set. even at a nin show where Trent would play 20 songs, he might swap only 3 (not counting the faux farewell tour). AIC is two. JA maybe two or three. Ok, Willie Nelson has more changes at his shows.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

if swapping three songs out of a 10-song set is still "almost the same", then i don't know what would be a show of a different set. even at a nin show where Trent would play 20 songs, he might swap only 3 (not counting the faux farewell tour). AIC is two. JA maybe two or three. Ok, Willie Nelson has more changes at his shows.
03-14-2014, 07:45 AM

Well, like I said this has been argued to death and back, but just look at 1998 to see how it used to be. Sacramento is a good example (11 songs each night, 6 different, including one very rare special treat).

Anyway, this isn't the time or place for that...I'm over it. It's like lusting for the styling of cars that were designed in the pre-safety era---not gonna happen, but keep dreaming. I had a great time at the show and loved every song they performed. Plus, back in 2007 they did put a special surprise in for SF...Jello Biafra came out and they did Holiday in Cambodia.

BTW that reminds me, I messed up the dates in my first post. I meant to say I saw them in 2006, 2007, and 2010.

Failure was pretty cool too; the Fantastic Planet intro was neat. They were obviously completely overshadowed by Tool so I kind of forgot about them the first time...sorry dudes.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #16
Level 11 - Clamorous

Well, like I said this has been argued to death and back, but just look at 1998 to see how it used to be. Sacramento is a good example (11 songs each night, 6 different, including one very rare special treat).

Anyway, this isn't the time or place for that...I'm over it. It's like lusting for the styling of cars that were designed in the pre-safety era---not gonna happen, but keep dreaming. I had a great time at the show and loved every song they performed. Plus, back in 2007 they did put a special surprise in for SF...Jello Biafra came out and they did Holiday in Cambodia.

BTW that reminds me, I messed up the dates in my first post. I meant to say I saw them in 2006, 2007, and 2010.

Failure was pretty cool too; the Fantastic Planet intro was neat. They were obviously completely overshadowed by Tool so I kind of forgot about them the first time...sorry dudes.
03-14-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
Check out the setlists for one of the other bands that will play with Tool on March 21st at Cumbre Tajin Festival. The one that starts with P and does not have Maynard in it.
05 16 07 Ft. Worth TCCC, 07 25 09 Dallas AAC, 01 20 12 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater, 01 21 12 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater, 10 31 15 Tempe Lakes Monster Mash, 01 14 16 Houston Toyota Center, 01 17 16 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater,
Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
Check out the setlists for one of the other bands that will play with Tool on March 21st at Cumbre Tajin Festival. The one that starts with P and does not have Maynard in it.
05 16 07 Ft. Worth TCCC, 07 25 09 Dallas AAC, 01 20 12 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater, 01 21 12 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater, 10 31 15 Tempe Lakes Monster Mash, 01 14 16 Houston Toyota Center, 01 17 16 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater,
vooligan
03-15-2014, 10:59 PM

I heard they rehearsed Eulogy the night before the first San Francisco show.

Last edited by kanaduh; 03-16-2014 at 08:01 AM..
Old 03-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: March 11th - San Francisco, CA

I heard they rehearsed Eulogy the night before the first San Francisco show.

Last edited by kanaduh; 03-16-2014 at 08:01 AM..
godhenry
03-17-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post

Oh yeah, Holiday in Cambodia. Good times :)
Old 03-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post

Oh yeah, Holiday in Cambodia. Good times :)
03-24-2014, 08:58 AM

the bootleg from this show that hit DIME a few weeks back is EXCELLENT

Third Eye sounds awwwwwwesome.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #20
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174

the bootleg from this show that hit DIME a few weeks back is EXCELLENT

Third Eye sounds awwwwwwesome.
pixedit
03-31-2014, 09:36 AM

It's for the poor souls that didn't get tickets for the first show, suddenly they have a chance for a second show. In theory it would be a set list for an entirely new audience. BTW, the second show wasn't announced until the first one was sold out. (I went to both and they were equally awesome)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:36 AM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

It's for the poor souls that didn't get tickets for the first show, suddenly they have a chance for a second show. In theory it would be a set list for an entirely new audience. BTW, the second show wasn't announced until the first one was sold out. (I went to both and they were equally awesome)
badisposition
03-31-2014, 10:52 PM

I went wednesday night I am an old fart as far as i can tell at 53, but in line before the show i stood next to an 81 year old tool fan How cool is that!!!!!! he only just recently became a fan in the last few years and this was his 1st Tool concert I caught sight of him during the intermission he was all smiles. So was I the show was great My 30th Tool concert I don't care what the set list is. Just want to hear and see tool perform anything. Bill Graham civic center is a good place for Tool Not too big for sounds to get lost in. overall an addicting experience for sure.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

I went wednesday night I am an old fart as far as i can tell at 53, but in line before the show i stood next to an 81 year old tool fan How cool is that!!!!!! he only just recently became a fan in the last few years and this was his 1st Tool concert I caught sight of him during the intermission he was all smiles. So was I the show was great My 30th Tool concert I don't care what the set list is. Just want to hear and see tool perform anything. Bill Graham civic center is a good place for Tool Not too big for sounds to get lost in. overall an addicting experience for sure.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply