Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
T00L's Avatar T00L
06-02-2006, 10:06 AM

Before we all go into ultra speculation mode (like fans tend to do). Just remember the old saying 'The pot' calling the kettle black. It's about hypocrits. Not friggin reefer.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #81
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: This song DOES have something to do with marijuana

Before we all go into ultra speculation mode (like fans tend to do). Just remember the old saying 'The pot' calling the kettle black. It's about hypocrits. Not friggin reefer.
06-07-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00L
and the word "ganja"? is there another meaning of that word that I'm not aware of?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:05 PM   #82
Banned.

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00L
and the word "ganja"? is there another meaning of that word that I'm not aware of?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
æmoeba•°·.'s Avatar æmoeba•°·.
06-07-2006, 07:20 PM

Our Drug law is "limited". it's ok to have a limit on things, but illegal abuse to marijuana would take place if it would become legal. Cigarette's and alcohol do destroy the nation 'a bit', but marijuana causes different side affects. so don't call it "hypocritical", because all marijuana is, is wrong. there is no 50/50 debate about it.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #83
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

Our Drug law is "limited". it's ok to have a limit on things, but illegal abuse to marijuana would take place if it would become legal. Cigarette's and alcohol do destroy the nation 'a bit', but marijuana causes different side affects. so don't call it "hypocritical", because all marijuana is, is wrong. there is no 50/50 debate about it.
beny2
06-09-2006, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeph
Most people don't want to hear this, but alcohol is actually the #1 most damaging drug to mind (brain) AND body. Over even the "dreaded" Heroin.

Do we really need a government telling grown adults what they can and cannot put into their own bodies?
No we don't. It is time to resort to violence and overthow the whole system. It is not the Government's responsibility to protect me from me.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:43 AM   #84
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeph
Most people don't want to hear this, but alcohol is actually the #1 most damaging drug to mind (brain) AND body. Over even the "dreaded" Heroin.

Do we really need a government telling grown adults what they can and cannot put into their own bodies?
No we don't. It is time to resort to violence and overthow the whole system. It is not the Government's responsibility to protect me from me.
beny2
06-09-2006, 06:06 AM

Just kidding...although Thomas Jefferson envisioned a violent overthow of the government once a generation.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:06 AM   #85
Level 1 - Lurker

Just kidding...although Thomas Jefferson envisioned a violent overthow of the government once a generation.
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
06-09-2006, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcawhorlick
I dont really mind the population in general preferring alcohol/cigarettes to weed. It is after all, illegal. More often than not, laws make sense. Also, beer is not so bad in some cases.
It's also been hammered into our heads since we were very young that beer is good.
First, there are laws out there prohibiting anal sex in something like 20 states, so is oral, and other sex acts. For more crazy laws visit http://www.crazylaws.com/ So laws don't always make sense.

Aside from the legality of it, alcohol and cigarettes are proven to be worse for our health, so if laws were truly to protect us, these would be illegal. Don't get me wrong though, I don't want these things to be illegal. If some fucktard wants to smoke for 50 years and act surprised when he is diagnosed with lung cancer, then let him, etc. The government shouldn't tell people how to live their lives, or how to keep from hurting themselves. Where would the line be drawn? Imagine this: New law passed, people who have ever thought of suicide no longer allowed to purchase kitchen utensils and shoelaces. Now the law requires a psychological evaluation upon checkout if any of these items are in your basket at Wal-Mart.

My point is, when the government begins to cross the line and become involved in our personal lives and decisions, things become dangerous.

And I am not sure what you comment about beer being hammered into our heads as good is about but if you are referring to advertising... DUH! Beer companies need to make money!

Quote:
The problem is that so much of the population never does question why it's illegal in this country.
Well, many people do. Those that don't question either don't agree with the rules but are too lazy to care enough to do anything about it, or don't think it will matter and the other half don't question authority because they are scared and choose to live life according to how others tell them because its safer and easier.

Quote:
Money has a lot to do with it, I'm afraid.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. If you are saying that it is illegal because of the money you are mistaken. (If not, ignore the rest of my post).

Making pot legal would have a huge economical advantage. The government would heavily tax it as they do alcohol and cigarettes. Tax money from this and the money we'd save from jail time and police work could be reallocated to other areas that are severely lacking in assistance. There would be no future need to raise the taxes on these other areas because of that reallocation.

Last edited by bellamadia; 06-09-2006 at 08:02 AM..
Old 06-09-2006, 06:57 AM   #86
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
I dont really mind the population in general preferring alcohol/cigarettes to weed. It is after all, illegal. More often than not, laws make sense. Also, beer is not so bad in some cases.
It's also been hammered into our heads since we were very young that beer is good.
First, there are laws out there prohibiting anal sex in something like 20 states, so is oral, and other sex acts. For more crazy laws visit http://www.crazylaws.com/ So laws don't always make sense.

Aside from the legality of it, alcohol and cigarettes are proven to be worse for our health, so if laws were truly to protect us, these would be illegal. Don't get me wrong though, I don't want these things to be illegal. If some fucktard wants to smoke for 50 years and act surprised when he is diagnosed with lung cancer, then let him, etc. The government shouldn't tell people how to live their lives, or how to keep from hurting themselves. Where would the line be drawn? Imagine this: New law passed, people who have ever thought of suicide no longer allowed to purchase kitchen utensils and shoelaces. Now the law requires a psychological evaluation upon checkout if any of these items are in your basket at Wal-Mart.

My point is, when the government begins to cross the line and become involved in our personal lives and decisions, things become dangerous.

And I am not sure what you comment about beer being hammered into our heads as good is about but if you are referring to advertising... DUH! Beer companies need to make money!

Quote:
The problem is that so much of the population never does question why it's illegal in this country.
Well, many people do. Those that don't question either don't agree with the rules but are too lazy to care enough to do anything about it, or don't think it will matter and the other half don't question authority because they are scared and choose to live life according to how others tell them because its safer and easier.

Quote:
Money has a lot to do with it, I'm afraid.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. If you are saying that it is illegal because of the money you are mistaken. (If not, ignore the rest of my post).

Making pot legal would have a huge economical advantage. The government would heavily tax it as they do alcohol and cigarettes. Tax money from this and the money we'd save from jail time and police work could be reallocated to other areas that are severely lacking in assistance. There would be no future need to raise the taxes on these other areas because of that reallocation.

Last edited by bellamadia; 06-09-2006 at 08:02 AM..
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
06-10-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beny2
Jefferson didn't specify a violent overthrow, just a drastic reform.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #87
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

Quote:
Originally Posted by beny2
Jefferson didn't specify a violent overthrow, just a drastic reform.
But I'll pull through
06-10-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamadia

I love your idealism here, but I must maintain that the prohibition of cannabis is solely an issue of finances. You are right when you assert that legalizatioin would generate new sources for income (and ease the necessity for excess spending), but is that really enough to satisfy our government? You must also consider how this new income would be distributed. There are so many established industries that don't want to do anything to fix a system that they do not consider broken. They make plenty of money for themselves, and they do not have any intention of letting that boat be rocked. The legalization of cannabis will not only begin a restructuring of the marketplace, it will herald the beginning of a redistribution of the wealth- shrinking the gap between rich and poor. The corporations that own our elected officials are doing everything in their formidable power to make sure that this doesn't happen.

Consider, if you will, a selection of the existing industries that would be effected by the legalization of cannabis . . .
1.) The pharmaceutical industry- Abbot, AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, Johnson & Johnson, Merck & Co. . . and these guys have lobbyists . . .
2.) The lumber/paper industry- 84, Boise (formerly Boise-Cascade), Pacific . . . and these guys have lobbyists . . .
3.) The alcohol/tobacco/caffeine industries- Altria (Phillip Morris), American Brands, RJ Reynolds . . . and these guys have lobbyists . . .
4.) The petrochemical industry (plastics and fuels)- I don't even need to name any of them, because under this president, these guys don't NEED lobbyists . . .

I have only scratched the surface of the financial institutions that would lose a significant market share, but the ones listed above would be enough of an impediment on their own.

Here are a couple of links that I find interesting (follow their links, too). . .
Hempcar
Chris Conrad
But I'll pull through
Old 06-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #88
Ron Swampson

Quote:

I love your idealism here, but I must maintain that the prohibition of cannabis is solely an issue of finances. You are right when you assert that legalizatioin would generate new sources for income (and ease the necessity for excess spending), but is that really enough to satisfy our government? You must also consider how this new income would be distributed. There are so many established industries that don't want to do anything to fix a system that they do not consider broken. They make plenty of money for themselves, and they do not have any intention of letting that boat be rocked. The legalization of cannabis will not only begin a restructuring of the marketplace, it will herald the beginning of a redistribution of the wealth- shrinking the gap between rich and poor. The corporations that own our elected officials are doing everything in their formidable power to make sure that this doesn't happen.

Consider, if you will, a selection of the existing industries that would be effected by the legalization of cannabis . . .
1.) The pharmaceutical industry- Abbot, AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, Johnson & Johnson, Merck & Co. . . and these guys have lobbyists . . .
2.) The lumber/paper industry- 84, Boise (formerly Boise-Cascade), Pacific . . . and these guys have lobbyists . . .
3.) The alcohol/tobacco/caffeine industries- Altria (Phillip Morris), American Brands, RJ Reynolds . . . and these guys have lobbyists . . .
4.) The petrochemical industry (plastics and fuels)- I don't even need to name any of them, because under this president, these guys don't NEED lobbyists . . .

I have only scratched the surface of the financial institutions that would lose a significant market share, but the ones listed above would be enough of an impediment on their own.

Here are a couple of links that I find interesting (follow their links, too). . .
Hempcar
Chris Conrad
But I'll pull through
06-10-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by æmoeba•°·.
First of all, if cannabis were to become legal, any abuse of it that took place thereafter would not be "illegal." Second of all, stop calling it "marijuana." That use of that Mexican word for cannabis was the brain-child of newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst in an attempt to exploit the racist tendencies of 1930's America (where hemp was still legal) by associating hemp and cannabis with the shiftless, unlawful Mexicans. It worked, and now it's illegal.

Back to the point, tobacco kills; alcohol kills; cannabis doesn't. That's a fact, and drug law is hypocritical. You are right that cannabis causes different side effects; like creativity in recreational useage, or like a lack of crippling nausea in medical usage; or like a revival of the American family farm in industrial usage. You are also right when you suggest that it's not a 50/50 debate. Prohibition of cannabis is 100% wrong/insane/counterproductive/hypocritical.

Now, for the sake of argument, I will abandon my position that cannabis is not harmful and go from there. All you have to do is look to the model of the 18th and 21st Amendments to the Constittution of the United States of America to see that prohibiting a substance does not reduce its availability or the harm that it can and will do to society-at-large. The 18th amendment reads as follows . . .

Section 1. After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

Section 2. The Congress and the several States shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Section 3. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

It was submitted by congress on December 18, 1918, fully ratified on January 16, 1919 and was subsequently put into effect on January 16, 1920.

The 21st amendment reads as follows . . .

Section 1.
The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

Section 2.
The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.

Section 3.
This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by conventions in the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

It was submitted by congress on February 20, 1933, fully ratified on December 5, 1933 and was put into effect immediately.

Thus, in the thirteen years of alcohol prohibition, the production, import, distribution and sales of alcohol was prohibited in the hopes of reducing consumption and the requisite harm it caused. However, in that same time period, the production, import, distribution, sales and consumption increased significantly, thus yielding increased harm done to society. Given that alcohol was no longer a regulated industry, the alcohol itself began to see higher concentrations of impurity, thus yielding increased harm done to society. Given that there was no legal channel to supply this demand, alcohol became the domain of organized crime, and Al Capon milked that cow for all it was worth. Pre-Prohibition, the Mafia was teetering on the brink of self-destruction. As soon as alcohol was prohibited, they began to cash in on a grand scale- earning enough money to buy Las Vegas, an investment whose decades of return have allowed the mafia to entrench itself in our nation- yielding increased harm done to society.

It only took thirteen years for America to realize alcohol prohibition was doing only harm to society, but we are currently in the sixty-ninth year of cannabis prohibition. It has been hallmarked by the same problems as alcohol prohibition (increased abuse, incidences of impurity, booming organized crime rings), and yet the hypocrisy continues.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-10-2006, 02:10 PM   #89
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by æmoeba•°·.
First of all, if cannabis were to become legal, any abuse of it that took place thereafter would not be "illegal." Second of all, stop calling it "marijuana." That use of that Mexican word for cannabis was the brain-child of newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst in an attempt to exploit the racist tendencies of 1930's America (where hemp was still legal) by associating hemp and cannabis with the shiftless, unlawful Mexicans. It worked, and now it's illegal.

Back to the point, tobacco kills; alcohol kills; cannabis doesn't. That's a fact, and drug law is hypocritical. You are right that cannabis causes different side effects; like creativity in recreational useage, or like a lack of crippling nausea in medical usage; or like a revival of the American family farm in industrial usage. You are also right when you suggest that it's not a 50/50 debate. Prohibition of cannabis is 100% wrong/insane/counterproductive/hypocritical.

Now, for the sake of argument, I will abandon my position that cannabis is not harmful and go from there. All you have to do is look to the model of the 18th and 21st Amendments to the Constittution of the United States of America to see that prohibiting a substance does not reduce its availability or the harm that it can and will do to society-at-large. The 18th amendment reads as follows . . .

Section 1. After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

Section 2. The Congress and the several States shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Section 3. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

It was submitted by congress on December 18, 1918, fully ratified on January 16, 1919 and was subsequently put into effect on January 16, 1920.

The 21st amendment reads as follows . . .

Section 1.
The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

Section 2.
The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.

Section 3.
This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by conventions in the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

It was submitted by congress on February 20, 1933, fully ratified on December 5, 1933 and was put into effect immediately.

Thus, in the thirteen years of alcohol prohibition, the production, import, distribution and sales of alcohol was prohibited in the hopes of reducing consumption and the requisite harm it caused. However, in that same time period, the production, import, distribution, sales and consumption increased significantly, thus yielding increased harm done to society. Given that alcohol was no longer a regulated industry, the alcohol itself began to see higher concentrations of impurity, thus yielding increased harm done to society. Given that there was no legal channel to supply this demand, alcohol became the domain of organized crime, and Al Capon milked that cow for all it was worth. Pre-Prohibition, the Mafia was teetering on the brink of self-destruction. As soon as alcohol was prohibited, they began to cash in on a grand scale- earning enough money to buy Las Vegas, an investment whose decades of return have allowed the mafia to entrench itself in our nation- yielding increased harm done to society.

It only took thirteen years for America to realize alcohol prohibition was doing only harm to society, but we are currently in the sixty-ninth year of cannabis prohibition. It has been hallmarked by the same problems as alcohol prohibition (increased abuse, incidences of impurity, booming organized crime rings), and yet the hypocrisy continues.
But I'll pull through
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
06-10-2006, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
I love your idealism here, but I must maintain that the prohibition of cannabis is solely an issue of finances. You are right when you assert that legalizatioin would generate new sources for income (and ease the necessity for excess spending), but is that really enough to satisfy our government? ..........
All very good points. And in the post above this. I have to admit, though I feel it should be legal, I haven't really given a lot of time to think/learn about it in detail. I'm going to check out those sites and what you wrote was a good start. Thanks.

Last edited by bellamadia; 06-10-2006 at 09:12 PM..
Old 06-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #90
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I love your idealism here, but I must maintain that the prohibition of cannabis is solely an issue of finances. You are right when you assert that legalizatioin would generate new sources for income (and ease the necessity for excess spending), but is that really enough to satisfy our government? ..........
All very good points. And in the post above this. I have to admit, though I feel it should be legal, I haven't really given a lot of time to think/learn about it in detail. I'm going to check out those sites and what you wrote was a good start. Thanks.

Last edited by bellamadia; 06-10-2006 at 09:12 PM..
noisetherapy's Avatar noisetherapy
06-10-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
cannibis cannot kill you? prove this for everyone please.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #91
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 26

Quote:
06-11-2006, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisetherapy
Do you have proof that it can????

For answers to your question..... http://www.cannabis.com/faqs/hemp3.shtml

If you don't care enough to click the link, then here I copy and pasted a good part....

4) Don't people die from smoking pot?

Nobody has ever overdosed. For any given substance,
there are bound to be some people who have allergic
reactions. With marijuana this is extremely rare, but it
could happen with anything from apples to pop-tarts. Not
one death has ever been directly linked to marijuana itself.
In contrast, many legal drugs cause hundreds to hundreds of
thousands of deaths per year, foremost among them are
alcohol, nicotine, valium, aspirin, and caffiene. The
biggest danger with marijuana is that it is illegal, and
someone may mix it with another drug like PCP.

Marijuana is so safe that it would be almost impossible to
overdose on it. Doctors determine how safe a drug is by
measuring how much it takes to kill a person (they call this
the LD50) and comparing it to the amount of the drug which
is usually taken (ED50). This makes marijuana hundreds of
times safer than alcohol, tobacco, or caffiene. According
to a DEA Judge ``marijuana is the safest therapeutically
active substance known to mankind.''

I will say this. I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a chronic pain disease where you typically experience radiating pain in your back, legs, buttocks, neck and shoulders daily. The only treatment is excercise, reduce stress and pain meds. Well, I refuse to pop a vicodin a day like 3 Dr.s told me I should. The side affects and the addiction possibilities are too strong. I have been seriously exploring the use of cannabis as a treatment. I have not smoked in quite a few years ( I used to do it quite a bit, recreationaly of course). Though I know I won't be able to get it medically, I do know folks that grow it so that I can get it clean and pure. Point is, if it were legal, I wouldn't have to stuggle with these thoughts, I wouldn't have to try to find a trust worthy source for pure cannabis, I wouldn't have to worry about losing my job if I were caught, or getting arrested for buying or possesion. It all seems SO RIDICULOUS to me considering I can go to my local CVS and openly get a bottle of pills that are 1000x more harmful.

Last edited by bellamadia; 06-11-2006 at 07:36 AM..
Old 06-11-2006, 07:17 AM   #92
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

If you don't care enough to click the link, then here I copy and pasted a good part....

I will say this. I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a chronic pain disease where you typically experience radiating pain in your back, legs, buttocks, neck and shoulders daily. The only treatment is excercise, reduce stress and pain meds. Well, I refuse to pop a vicodin a day like 3 Dr.s told me I should. The side affects and the addiction possibilities are too strong. I have been seriously exploring the use of cannabis as a treatment. I have not smoked in quite a few years ( I used to do it quite a bit, recreationaly of course). Though I know I won't be able to get it medically, I do know folks that grow it so that I can get it clean and pure. Point is, if it were legal, I wouldn't have to stuggle with these thoughts, I wouldn't have to try to find a trust worthy source for pure cannabis, I wouldn't have to worry about losing my job if I were caught, or getting arrested for buying or possesion. It all seems SO RIDICULOUS to me considering I can go to my local CVS and openly get a bottle of pills that are 1000x more harmful.

Last edited by bellamadia; 06-11-2006 at 07:36 AM..
Edge386
06-11-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:

There you have it folks, the cold hard truth that isn't so cold and hard unless you talk about the illegality of it. Also, if Maynard does say indigo in the song. A quick search in wikipedia revealed: "Indigo is the color of light between 440 to 420 nanometres in wavelength..."
Old 06-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #93

Bincount™: 4

Quote:

There you have it folks, the cold hard truth that isn't so cold and hard unless you talk about the illegality of it. Also, if Maynard does say indigo in the song. A quick search in wikipedia revealed: "Indigo is the color of light between 440 to 420 nanometres in wavelength..."
06-11-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Doctors determine how safe a drug is by measuring how much it takes to kill a person (they call this the LD50) and comparing it to the amount of the drug which is usually taken (ED50).
Though i've never seen this published, I've been told (by people who would know) that you would need to smoke a pound in fifteen minutes in order to "overdose" fatally with cannabis. That is physically impossible.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #94
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Quote:
Doctors determine how safe a drug is by measuring how much it takes to kill a person (they call this the LD50) and comparing it to the amount of the drug which is usually taken (ED50).
Though i've never seen this published, I've been told (by people who would know) that you would need to smoke a pound in fifteen minutes in order to "overdose" fatally with cannabis. That is physically impossible.
But I'll pull through
wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
06-14-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge386
"Indigo is the color of light between 440 to 420 nanometres in wavelength..."
ohcomeon...
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 06-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #95
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
"Indigo is the color of light between 440 to 420 nanometres in wavelength..."
ohcomeon...
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
parables in the world's Avatar parables in the world
06-15-2006, 12:30 AM

Just read this :

No one seems able to determine the exact date that hemp/cannabis/marijuana appeared on the scene. This document will trace hemp back as far as history will allow, from 8500 BC in China to present day, noting the important role this much maligned weed has played in numerous civilization down through the ages.

The oldest human ever found was wearing a hemp blouse with a silk like quality. In 2700 BC Chinese written history tells us that hemp was used for fiber, oil, and as medicine. By 450 BC hemp was being cultivated in the mid east for the same purpose. Hemp was first introduced into Europe around 1000 AD, and by the sixteenth century it was known to be the most widely cultivated crop in the world producing rope, sails, cloth, fuel, paper, paint, food and medicine.

Of course hemp was an important product to the new world. In 1762 Virginia rewarded farmers with bounties for hemp culture and manufacture, and imposed penalties upon those who did not produce it. The Declaration of Independence was drafted on hemp paper, and Betsy Ross chose hemp as the material for this country's first flag. George Washington grew hemp for fiber and recreational use, and Thomas Jefferson acquired the first American patent for his hemp break, a devise used to separate the hemp stalk into usable hurds and fiber with greater speed than the retting of past.

Without hemp America could not have successfully waged the revolution, and for the next one hundred and fifty years hemp enjoyed the position as America's top cash crop. Why then, in 1937, was the Marijuana Tax Act imposed to effectively make hemp non competitive in the commercial arena?

William Randolph Hearst had accumulated a chain of newspapers that made him the most influential man in America. He also owned vast timber holdings which fed the paper industry. Lammont Du Pont was his friend and supplied toxic chemicals which were needed for making paper. He was also the spearhead for a fledgling petrochemical industry. Both men stood to loose large if hemp turned the industrial revolution corner, which it looked like it was about to do with the invention of the "decorticator", a far superior machine to Jefferson's hemp break. With this new invention, it appeared that hemp could now be processed quickly enough to be used for paper and plywood instead of trees, and the petrochemical industry was and embarrassment considering you can make the same five hundred biodegradable products from hemp. This was not good news for Mr. Hearst or Mr. Dupont. Henry Ford had already made and fueled a car almost entirely from hemp, and it actually looked as if hemp had the capacity to affect Hearst and DuPont's bottom line.

Hearst ordered all his editors to write scathing stories about marijuana to which they replied, "What's that?" Hearst made the word up because he knew no one would believe scathing stories about hemp. The articles all denigrated Mexicans, African Americans, Jazz Musicians, and the city of New Orleans, suggesting that marijuana use would certainly lead to crime, insanity, and early violent death. After a few years of this bombardment, the country was primed for the marijuana tax act of 1937.

The marijuana tax act was sent through the good old boys network with help from Hearst and Dupont allies until it was signed into law by President Roosevelt on August 2, 1937. A slam dunk for the corporate giants, and a great lose for America. The bill actually charged a one hundred dollar an ounce tax on any commercial hemp transaction, which made American hemp noncompetitive. All hemp used by America had to be imported, that is until 1942 when our supply was cut off by the war, and the Government started it's "Hemp for Victory" campaign.

The plan called for the planting of three hundred thousand acres of hemp, and for building seventy-one processing plants... a strange position for our government to be in only four years after taxing it to death. As the end of the war drew near, the government's position on hemp flip-flopped yet again. Over night this war time wonder plant had once again become the demon weed from hell...

On November 2, 1951, Congress passed the Boggs act, increasing the penalties for all narcotics violations. They also included marijuana on the list of narcotics which was the beginning of a whole other problem. All of a sudden our jails were filling up with middle class kids caught smoking pot. Now there was a whole counter culture revolving around smoking pot, and by the mid seventies everyone was thinking it would only be a few more years till the government came to it's senses and repealed the marijuana prohibition. They must have been pipe dreaming.

Every study done on marijuana since the 1944 Laguardia report suggests that legalization is the only way out. In 1996 there were six hundred thousand Americans arrested on drug charges, of these, eighty six percent were for simple possession. Of the one million six hundred thousand people in federal and state prison, twenty-five percent are there for drug violations. This immense expenditure, capturing, prosecuting, and incarcerating, not to mention funding "the drug war", and the loss of revenue through billions of untaxed drug dollars is not a sane situation by any standards.

In the last decade Hemp's popularity has become even more prevalens; both as a recreational drug and as a raw material. Not only has smoking increased drastically, but there are now over three hundred companies in the United States that deal exclusively in hemp produucts. California and Arizona have passed the medical marijuana initiative, while other states block attempts to legalize industtrial hemp. In the meantime, once again, hemp has become America's largest cash crop beating second place corn by a mere twenty billion dollars.

There have been many little parts of the hemp/cannabis/marijuana story told, but no one has ever done a comprehensive history. We shouldn't let Misters Hearst and Dupont dictate the way we view the hemp plant today. We intend to present the truth, and, as the old saying goes, "truth is always stranger than fiction."

-Jonathan Stuart

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:30 AM   #96
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 14

Just read this :

No one seems able to determine the exact date that hemp/cannabis/marijuana appeared on the scene. This document will trace hemp back as far as history will allow, from 8500 BC in China to present day, noting the important role this much maligned weed has played in numerous civilization down through the ages.

The oldest human ever found was wearing a hemp blouse with a silk like quality. In 2700 BC Chinese written history tells us that hemp was used for fiber, oil, and as medicine. By 450 BC hemp was being cultivated in the mid east for the same purpose. Hemp was first introduced into Europe around 1000 AD, and by the sixteenth century it was known to be the most widely cultivated crop in the world producing rope, sails, cloth, fuel, paper, paint, food and medicine.

Of course hemp was an important product to the new world. In 1762 Virginia rewarded farmers with bounties for hemp culture and manufacture, and imposed penalties upon those who did not produce it. The Declaration of Independence was drafted on hemp paper, and Betsy Ross chose hemp as the material for this country's first flag. George Washington grew hemp for fiber and recreational use, and Thomas Jefferson acquired the first American patent for his hemp break, a devise used to separate the hemp stalk into usable hurds and fiber with greater speed than the retting of past.

Without hemp America could not have successfully waged the revolution, and for the next one hundred and fifty years hemp enjoyed the position as America's top cash crop. Why then, in 1937, was the Marijuana Tax Act imposed to effectively make hemp non competitive in the commercial arena?

William Randolph Hearst had accumulated a chain of newspapers that made him the most influential man in America. He also owned vast timber holdings which fed the paper industry. Lammont Du Pont was his friend and supplied toxic chemicals which were needed for making paper. He was also the spearhead for a fledgling petrochemical industry. Both men stood to loose large if hemp turned the industrial revolution corner, which it looked like it was about to do with the invention of the "decorticator", a far superior machine to Jefferson's hemp break. With this new invention, it appeared that hemp could now be processed quickly enough to be used for paper and plywood instead of trees, and the petrochemical industry was and embarrassment considering you can make the same five hundred biodegradable products from hemp. This was not good news for Mr. Hearst or Mr. Dupont. Henry Ford had already made and fueled a car almost entirely from hemp, and it actually looked as if hemp had the capacity to affect Hearst and DuPont's bottom line.

Hearst ordered all his editors to write scathing stories about marijuana to which they replied, "What's that?" Hearst made the word up because he knew no one would believe scathing stories about hemp. The articles all denigrated Mexicans, African Americans, Jazz Musicians, and the city of New Orleans, suggesting that marijuana use would certainly lead to crime, insanity, and early violent death. After a few years of this bombardment, the country was primed for the marijuana tax act of 1937.

The marijuana tax act was sent through the good old boys network with help from Hearst and Dupont allies until it was signed into law by President Roosevelt on August 2, 1937. A slam dunk for the corporate giants, and a great lose for America. The bill actually charged a one hundred dollar an ounce tax on any commercial hemp transaction, which made American hemp noncompetitive. All hemp used by America had to be imported, that is until 1942 when our supply was cut off by the war, and the Government started it's "Hemp for Victory" campaign.

The plan called for the planting of three hundred thousand acres of hemp, and for building seventy-one processing plants... a strange position for our government to be in only four years after taxing it to death. As the end of the war drew near, the government's position on hemp flip-flopped yet again. Over night this war time wonder plant had once again become the demon weed from hell...

On November 2, 1951, Congress passed the Boggs act, increasing the penalties for all narcotics violations. They also included marijuana on the list of narcotics which was the beginning of a whole other problem. All of a sudden our jails were filling up with middle class kids caught smoking pot. Now there was a whole counter culture revolving around smoking pot, and by the mid seventies everyone was thinking it would only be a few more years till the government came to it's senses and repealed the marijuana prohibition. They must have been pipe dreaming.

Every study done on marijuana since the 1944 Laguardia report suggests that legalization is the only way out. In 1996 there were six hundred thousand Americans arrested on drug charges, of these, eighty six percent were for simple possession. Of the one million six hundred thousand people in federal and state prison, twenty-five percent are there for drug violations. This immense expenditure, capturing, prosecuting, and incarcerating, not to mention funding "the drug war", and the loss of revenue through billions of untaxed drug dollars is not a sane situation by any standards.

In the last decade Hemp's popularity has become even more prevalens; both as a recreational drug and as a raw material. Not only has smoking increased drastically, but there are now over three hundred companies in the United States that deal exclusively in hemp produucts. California and Arizona have passed the medical marijuana initiative, while other states block attempts to legalize industtrial hemp. In the meantime, once again, hemp has become America's largest cash crop beating second place corn by a mere twenty billion dollars.

There have been many little parts of the hemp/cannabis/marijuana story told, but no one has ever done a comprehensive history. We shouldn't let Misters Hearst and Dupont dictate the way we view the hemp plant today. We intend to present the truth, and, as the old saying goes, "truth is always stranger than fiction."

-Jonathan Stuart

nafloot's Avatar nafloot
06-15-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beligerentfokker
in case you didn't see it on the other threads........

link posted below... maybe this shed's some light on the meaning.. hmmm

http://www.loompanics.com/cgi-local/...html?E+scstore

Pot Activist Railroaded By Kangaroo Court

We all know, of course, that juries are supposed to be randomly selected, not stacked with those who will agree in advance to convict.

Yet in January 2003, in San Francisco, California, U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer was being anything but “random” as he carefully interviewed and sorted through 80 prospective jurors before settling on 12 – mostly out-of-towners – who appeared most likely to bring the conviction he sought against Oakland's self-styled “pot guru,” 58-year-old Ed Rosenthal.

After a two-week trial, that jury unanimously convicted Rosenthal, a world-renowned marijuana advocate, after finding as a matter of fact that he'd been growing more than 100 pot plants, conspired to cultivate marijuana, and maintained an Oakland warehouse for a growing operation. “He was painted as a major drug manufacturer,” The AP reports, “and put on little defense.”

And why did Rosenthal and his attorneys present so little defense? Because “Throughout the trial in U.S. District Court in San Francisco, (Judge) Breyer had refused all efforts by the defense to disclose to the jury that Rosenthal was growing marijuana as an 'officer' for the City of Oakland's medical marijuana program, authorized under California's Proposition 215, passed by the voters in 1996,” points out syndicated columnist Alexander Cockburn.

“Throughout the two-week trial, Rosenthal's defense team had repeatedly tried to call witnesses to testify that Rosenthal was growing medical marijuana ...acting as an agent of the City of Oakland's medical marijuana program,” confirms AP legal affairs writer David Kravets. “The judge denied those requests. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with the judge twice during mid-trial appeals.”

In other words – and as usual these days – the federal courts worked to conceal as much of the truth of the case as they saw fit, to make sure the jury made only a finding of fact, without being given any chance to decide whether the federal law was being appropriately applied in Rosenthal's case.

“Within hours of finding ...Rosenthal guilty on three felony counts of conspiracy and marijuana cultivation,” columnist Cockburn relates, “a sobbing juror was overheard saying she and others jurors had been terrified that U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer would throw them in prison if they had found Rosenthal innocent, although she herself had had a strong disposition to do so.”
I remember that witch hunt. What a joke our system is. I believe pot is not legal because the Government has no way of taxing it. As other people have said drinking and smoking are both legal and also taxed. I have been smoking pot since I was about 10 (45 now) and every argument that was presented to me by the so called authorities proved wrong except one. It does affect your short term memory. Some of my friends do prescribed drugs that mess them up more than pot. My father was a Philly cop for 22 years and we would have this argument quite a bit. Not until he was older in his mid 60's did he finally agree that at the very least drinking is worse than pot. If they would legalize all drugs, then the prison's would be filled with criminals instead of drug addicts.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #97
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beligerentfokker
in case you didn't see it on the other threads........

link posted below... maybe this shed's some light on the meaning.. hmmm

http://www.loompanics.com/cgi-local/...html?E+scstore

Pot Activist Railroaded By Kangaroo Court

We all know, of course, that juries are supposed to be randomly selected, not stacked with those who will agree in advance to convict.

Yet in January 2003, in San Francisco, California, U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer was being anything but “random” as he carefully interviewed and sorted through 80 prospective jurors before settling on 12 – mostly out-of-towners – who appeared most likely to bring the conviction he sought against Oakland's self-styled “pot guru,” 58-year-old Ed Rosenthal.

After a two-week trial, that jury unanimously convicted Rosenthal, a world-renowned marijuana advocate, after finding as a matter of fact that he'd been growing more than 100 pot plants, conspired to cultivate marijuana, and maintained an Oakland warehouse for a growing operation. “He was painted as a major drug manufacturer,” The AP reports, “and put on little defense.”

And why did Rosenthal and his attorneys present so little defense? Because “Throughout the trial in U.S. District Court in San Francisco, (Judge) Breyer had refused all efforts by the defense to disclose to the jury that Rosenthal was growing marijuana as an 'officer' for the City of Oakland's medical marijuana program, authorized under California's Proposition 215, passed by the voters in 1996,” points out syndicated columnist Alexander Cockburn.

“Throughout the two-week trial, Rosenthal's defense team had repeatedly tried to call witnesses to testify that Rosenthal was growing medical marijuana ...acting as an agent of the City of Oakland's medical marijuana program,” confirms AP legal affairs writer David Kravets. “The judge denied those requests. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with the judge twice during mid-trial appeals.”

In other words – and as usual these days – the federal courts worked to conceal as much of the truth of the case as they saw fit, to make sure the jury made only a finding of fact, without being given any chance to decide whether the federal law was being appropriately applied in Rosenthal's case.

“Within hours of finding ...Rosenthal guilty on three felony counts of conspiracy and marijuana cultivation,” columnist Cockburn relates, “a sobbing juror was overheard saying she and others jurors had been terrified that U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer would throw them in prison if they had found Rosenthal innocent, although she herself had had a strong disposition to do so.”
I remember that witch hunt. What a joke our system is. I believe pot is not legal because the Government has no way of taxing it. As other people have said drinking and smoking are both legal and also taxed. I have been smoking pot since I was about 10 (45 now) and every argument that was presented to me by the so called authorities proved wrong except one. It does affect your short term memory. Some of my friends do prescribed drugs that mess them up more than pot. My father was a Philly cop for 22 years and we would have this argument quite a bit. Not until he was older in his mid 60's did he finally agree that at the very least drinking is worse than pot. If they would legalize all drugs, then the prison's would be filled with criminals instead of drug addicts.
nafloot's Avatar nafloot
06-15-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:

When I was 16 I used to get weed for a friends mother who had cancer. She was totally against pot until she started her chemo. We all know what happens when you get chemo. Her daughter talked her into trying it, and until her death she was eating daily, even after a chemo treatment she would come home and eat. I live in Vegas and the voters(myself included) passed a marijuana law to decriminalize it. The feds then told our state if they put it on the balot and it passed we would lose millions in federal grants. Oh well my lunchtime is over and I need to get down off my soapbox......PEACE OUT....lol.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:41 AM   #98
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

When I was 16 I used to get weed for a friends mother who had cancer. She was totally against pot until she started her chemo. We all know what happens when you get chemo. Her daughter talked her into trying it, and until her death she was eating daily, even after a chemo treatment she would come home and eat. I live in Vegas and the voters(myself included) passed a marijuana law to decriminalize it. The feds then told our state if they put it on the balot and it passed we would lose millions in federal grants. Oh well my lunchtime is over and I need to get down off my soapbox......PEACE OUT....lol.
06-15-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethestories
ohcomeon...
Agreed, and you and I don't do that much.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-15-2006, 12:45 PM   #99
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethestories
ohcomeon...
Agreed, and you and I don't do that much.
But I'll pull through
06-15-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parables in the world
Just read this :

-Jonathan Stuart
Where did you find this? It's execellent. Got a link? Or a book title?
But I'll pull through
Old 06-15-2006, 12:48 PM   #100
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by parables in the world
Just read this :

-Jonathan Stuart
Where did you find this? It's execellent. Got a link? Or a book title?
But I'll pull through
parables in the world's Avatar parables in the world
06-15-2006, 03:26 PM

yeah its on this website, theres an album about this

http://www.viperrecords.com/newprohi...ruestory.shtml

Old 06-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #101
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 14

yeah its on this website, theres an album about this

http://www.viperrecords.com/newprohi...ruestory.shtml

JAG
06-15-2006, 05:35 PM

Have you guys ever thought that a song might have multiple interpretations? To me this song has always been about Bush, Katrina, and the FEMA Kangaroo Court finger pointing debacle.. It also talks about those who are "high on power" hence the line "you must have been so high". It does also contain "the pot calling the kettle black" theme and might also have to do with pot as well. There are several possible interpretations to this song. Which one varies according to that ones point of view and perspective.

Last edited by JAG; 06-15-2006 at 05:39 PM..
Old 06-15-2006, 05:35 PM   #102
JAG
Level 4 - Thinker

Have you guys ever thought that a song might have multiple interpretations? To me this song has always been about Bush, Katrina, and the FEMA Kangaroo Court finger pointing debacle.. It also talks about those who are "high on power" hence the line "you must have been so high". It does also contain "the pot calling the kettle black" theme and might also have to do with pot as well. There are several possible interpretations to this song. Which one varies according to that ones point of view and perspective.

Last edited by JAG; 06-15-2006 at 05:39 PM..
06-15-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I think it's quite obvious that "[us] guys" have most certainly realized that a song- and particularly this song- can have multiple interpretations. The name of the thread is "This song DOES have something to do with marijuana," which would seem to imply that there are also other things that the song has to do with . . .
But I'll pull through
Old 06-15-2006, 06:28 PM   #103
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I think it's quite obvious that "[us] guys" have most certainly realized that a song- and particularly this song- can have multiple interpretations. The name of the thread is "This song DOES have something to do with marijuana," which would seem to imply that there are also other things that the song has to do with . . .
But I'll pull through
06-17-2006, 10:32 AM

Ooooh!
Nice post count!

<== I'm gonna go oblige! (If you don't get it, you're too late, as I've obviously opened my big mouth again.) Thought I'd post it in this thread. Seemed appropriate.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-17-2006, 10:32 AM   #104
Ron Swampson

Ooooh!
Nice post count!

<== I'm gonna go oblige! (If you don't get it, you're too late, as I've obviously opened my big mouth again.) Thought I'd post it in this thread. Seemed appropriate.
But I'll pull through
06-17-2006, 03:49 PM

^^^D'OH!^^^
But I'll pull through
Old 06-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #105
Ron Swampson

^^^D'OH!^^^
But I'll pull through
Shomino
06-19-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Weaker shades of indigo! 420! OMG!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo

"Indigo is the color of light between 440 to 420 nanometres in wavelength, placing it between blue and violet."

I believe he's saying "weaker shades of indigo" which would be 420 nanometres!

"The Pot". Concidence? I think not.

Last edited by Shomino; 06-20-2006 at 08:17 AM..
Old 06-19-2006, 08:40 AM   #106
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Weaker shades of indigo! 420! OMG!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo

"Indigo is the color of light between 440 to 420 nanometres in wavelength, placing it between blue and violet."

I believe he's saying "weaker shades of indigo" which would be 420 nanometres!

"The Pot". Concidence? I think not.

Last edited by Shomino; 06-20-2006 at 08:17 AM..
Kadelic's Avatar Kadelic
06-19-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceman
Idiots, Idiots, Idiots.....and not even Useful ones....

It is called The Pot because that's what calls the Kettle Black.....
I tend to agree with you. The first couple of weeks I had the album,

I thought he was saying "when you pissed all over my black halo..."

I must have been high.

Kettle eventualy ruled itself in, but I still sing along that way sometimes.

Last edited by Kadelic; 06-19-2006 at 04:32 PM..
Old 06-19-2006, 03:34 PM   #107
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceman
Idiots, Idiots, Idiots.....and not even Useful ones....

It is called The Pot because that's what calls the Kettle Black.....
I tend to agree with you. The first couple of weeks I had the album,

I thought he was saying "when you pissed all over my black halo..."

I must have been high.

Kettle eventualy ruled itself in, but I still sing along that way sometimes.

Last edited by Kadelic; 06-19-2006 at 04:32 PM..
3ulogy
06-23-2006, 09:24 AM

"The Pot" i think is a little to obvious to be about marijuana, like every other tool song it is riddled with hidden meanings and ideas that continually change based on the person that is listening to the song. I may listen to the song and get one meaning out of it while another person listens to the song and gets a whole different idea. Neither idea is wrong nor right, its what you get out of it, the fact that people are taking the time to analyze the song themselves is the main idea.

I think the whole idea behind their music is to get you thinking, about different ideas and perspectives, it makes you educated in the idea of free thought, and not allowing you to stick with one idea but to see that there is more than what appears on the surface.

Tool promotes freedom of self, and the freedom of choice
Old 06-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #108
Level 1 - Lurker

"The Pot" i think is a little to obvious to be about marijuana, like every other tool song it is riddled with hidden meanings and ideas that continually change based on the person that is listening to the song. I may listen to the song and get one meaning out of it while another person listens to the song and gets a whole different idea. Neither idea is wrong nor right, its what you get out of it, the fact that people are taking the time to analyze the song themselves is the main idea.

I think the whole idea behind their music is to get you thinking, about different ideas and perspectives, it makes you educated in the idea of free thought, and not allowing you to stick with one idea but to see that there is more than what appears on the surface.

Tool promotes freedom of self, and the freedom of choice
3ulogy
06-23-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snominius
Exactly...the interp of any tool song is difficult...why cant they just tell us what they were thinking so that I can get back to work! I am wasting too much time...

Because if they made it that easy then you wouldnt have to think for yourself...aka dont be a tool
Old 06-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #109
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snominius
Exactly...the interp of any tool song is difficult...why cant they just tell us what they were thinking so that I can get back to work! I am wasting too much time...

Because if they made it that easy then you wouldnt have to think for yourself...aka dont be a tool
nafloot's Avatar nafloot
06-23-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie
I wanted to add a few thoughts abou

Wait, is this the Funky Town forum?

Oh man, I have no idea what's going on.
Let's get high!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #110
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie
I wanted to add a few thoughts abou

Wait, is this the Funky Town forum?

Oh man, I have no idea what's going on.
Let's get high!
07-08-2006, 07:34 PM

I posted this on MySpace awhile back (god I hat that thing anymore- fucking Murdock!) and I thought maybe this Bush decree could have been among Maynard's motivations.

This one is not bad either . . .
But I'll pull through
Old 07-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #111
Ron Swampson

I posted this on MySpace awhile back (god I hat that thing anymore- fucking Murdock!) and I thought maybe this Bush decree could have been among Maynard's motivations.

This one is not bad either . . .
But I'll pull through
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
07-10-2006, 05:33 PM

yea, that sounds about right. I too have been criminalized for marijuana and just completed my 3 years of probation due to getting caught with crumbs of weed in my car. I was sentenced by a local, small, redneck Texas judge....while the crime is considered a misdemeanor in Texas, it cost me 3 very long years of mind-fucking. I was about 1/2 convinced they were right, what with all the rehab and bs they put me through. Not that I got the treatment of this Rosenthal, but I do know that they courts are a joke. I even paid 2-grand to a lawyer whom sat in silence as the gavel fell. I later found out that he was "in-bed" with the system and probably got a cut of all my fines and fees as well. Somehow tho, I managed to get through it. All I can say is, "Yes, Smoke, by all means, enlighten yourself. Just be careful, because yes, the Ganja Police are very much real, and looking desperately for some hard working, income generators like myself. I wouldn't wish what happened to me on my worst enemy, so to all you heads out there whom can draw nothing more from this song than its references to weed, (thats only part of it) just BE CAREFUL. Thats how they got me, I was making some good ca$h with this stuff and had goten bold and careless. And I certainly paid for it. You will meet no open minds in the courts, they just see you as ca$h potential. Their favorite thing to do, is to check into your background and see what you do for a living and see how much money you make. Then they levy their fees and fines and shake you down for years at a time through their favorite new income generator : Probation. IF you do get caught, I'd highly (pun intended) reccomend you spend your time in jail. They really won't hold you long for it, and its much better than probation!...sorry if this isn't what we were really working on here, its just something I thought I should share....
Old 07-10-2006, 05:33 PM   #112
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

yea, that sounds about right. I too have been criminalized for marijuana and just completed my 3 years of probation due to getting caught with crumbs of weed in my car. I was sentenced by a local, small, redneck Texas judge....while the crime is considered a misdemeanor in Texas, it cost me 3 very long years of mind-fucking. I was about 1/2 convinced they were right, what with all the rehab and bs they put me through. Not that I got the treatment of this Rosenthal, but I do know that they courts are a joke. I even paid 2-grand to a lawyer whom sat in silence as the gavel fell. I later found out that he was "in-bed" with the system and probably got a cut of all my fines and fees as well. Somehow tho, I managed to get through it. All I can say is, "Yes, Smoke, by all means, enlighten yourself. Just be careful, because yes, the Ganja Police are very much real, and looking desperately for some hard working, income generators like myself. I wouldn't wish what happened to me on my worst enemy, so to all you heads out there whom can draw nothing more from this song than its references to weed, (thats only part of it) just BE CAREFUL. Thats how they got me, I was making some good ca$h with this stuff and had goten bold and careless. And I certainly paid for it. You will meet no open minds in the courts, they just see you as ca$h potential. Their favorite thing to do, is to check into your background and see what you do for a living and see how much money you make. Then they levy their fees and fines and shake you down for years at a time through their favorite new income generator : Probation. IF you do get caught, I'd highly (pun intended) reccomend you spend your time in jail. They really won't hold you long for it, and its much better than probation!...sorry if this isn't what we were really working on here, its just something I thought I should share....
07-11-2006, 10:18 AM

That's tough man. I am a non-smoker, I believe that the relationship between marihuana and schizophrenia is causal (plus imo a joint isnt all that) but I still think any country in its right mind would not allow its legal system to get clogged up with soft-drug offences.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #113

That's tough man. I am a non-smoker, I believe that the relationship between marihuana and schizophrenia is causal (plus imo a joint isnt all that) but I still think any country in its right mind would not allow its legal system to get clogged up with soft-drug offences.
07-11-2006, 04:00 PM

That's because you are still under their influence in what you think about when you say "DRUG offenses." Think for yourself, question authority. I recently buried my dear aunt whom put up no fight to a prescription drug addiction. She was in countless car accidents from passing out at the wheel and was involved in numerous other humiliating situations that involved police reports. However, in spite of all of this she walked, or stumbled away from every scene with no legal stipulations. Eventually, she killed herself by getting so smashed she fell and hit her fragile head too hard. SHE could have benefited from all the rehab and shit that I was forced to endure. That may have saved her life....however, she's dead now and nothing can change that. So tell me, is this system protecting the right people>?
A person whom is only caught in possession of marijuana has no business being in court, nor has no obligation to have to PAY any court. When I got busted, I wasn't even high. I was only going 5 miles per hour too fast. I was putting no one in danger...unlike my doped up aunt, nor the drunk, who's operation of a motor vehicle put us all at risk...
Old 07-11-2006, 04:00 PM   #114
Level 7 - Loquacious

That's because you are still under their influence in what you think about when you say "DRUG offenses." Think for yourself, question authority. I recently buried my dear aunt whom put up no fight to a prescription drug addiction. She was in countless car accidents from passing out at the wheel and was involved in numerous other humiliating situations that involved police reports. However, in spite of all of this she walked, or stumbled away from every scene with no legal stipulations. Eventually, she killed herself by getting so smashed she fell and hit her fragile head too hard. SHE could have benefited from all the rehab and shit that I was forced to endure. That may have saved her life....however, she's dead now and nothing can change that. So tell me, is this system protecting the right people>?
A person whom is only caught in possession of marijuana has no business being in court, nor has no obligation to have to PAY any court. When I got busted, I wasn't even high. I was only going 5 miles per hour too fast. I was putting no one in danger...unlike my doped up aunt, nor the drunk, who's operation of a motor vehicle put us all at risk...
07-12-2006, 12:18 AM

a. reread my post
b. check where it was written
c. understand that I'm on your side
d. apologize for telling me to 'question authority and think for myself'
Old 07-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #115

a. reread my post
chronographer
07-12-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?Cogito Ergo Sum?
"When ya piss all over my black kettle, you musta been high" Anyone ever heard of THE POT calling the kettle black?
this is the whole point of the song, do not stop at the obvious ( to me not even worth considering ) conclusion that the title The Pot means the song refers to marijuana. But at the less in youyr face but still not obvious reference to 'the pot calling the kettle black' i.e. they are both black so point the finger at maynards black kettle when the pot is black too..... um. yeah. hypocrisy.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #116
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?Cogito Ergo Sum?
"When ya piss all over my black kettle, you musta been high" Anyone ever heard of THE POT calling the kettle black?
this is the whole point of the song, do not stop at the obvious ( to me not even worth considering ) conclusion that the title The Pot means the song refers to marijuana. But at the less in youyr face but still not obvious reference to 'the pot calling the kettle black' i.e. they are both black so point the finger at maynards black kettle when the pot is black too..... um. yeah. hypocrisy.
Chalingo
07-13-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11
That sucks, move up here to canada. You have to get caught with a ton of pot to really get in trouble. They will just take what you have on you, tell you that you are bad boy and send you on your way. Then they go back to the station and get cooked and laugh their asses off.

Last edited by Chalingo; 07-13-2006 at 10:30 AM..
Old 07-13-2006, 10:25 AM   #117
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11
That sucks, move up here to canada. You have to get caught with a ton of pot to really get in trouble. They will just take what you have on you, tell you that you are bad boy and send you on your way. Then they go back to the station and get cooked and laugh their asses off.

Last edited by Chalingo; 07-13-2006 at 10:30 AM..
07-13-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesper
a. reread my post

a. i have re-read your post
b. i noticed its origin, which doesn't mean you support decriminalization
c. it can be easily interpreted as your idea that a crime was even committed. Yes, a crime by definition, but that's my argument to begin with---it looked like you were thinking that there was an actual offense. Your defense of yourself, has shown me otherwise. I understand now.
d. I'll never apologize for good advice...whether you needed it or not. I do apologize for being so confrontational with you...its my nature...I love debate....intelligent debate that is...
Old 07-13-2006, 08:58 PM   #118
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesper
a. reread my post

a. i have re-read your post
b. i noticed its origin, which doesn't mean you support decriminalization
c. it can be easily interpreted as your idea that a crime was even committed. Yes, a crime by definition, but that's my argument to begin with---it looked like you were thinking that there was an actual offense. Your defense of yourself, has shown me otherwise. I understand now.
d. I'll never apologize for good advice...whether you needed it or not. I do apologize for being so confrontational with you...its my nature...I love debate....intelligent debate that is...
07-13-2006, 09:08 PM

I've often pondered such....maybe someday....thanks for the invite.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #119
Level 7 - Loquacious

I've often pondered such....maybe someday....thanks for the invite.
07-14-2006, 03:17 AM

It remains to be seen whether condoning soft drugs for personal use would decriminalize its production and distribution; what would however have a bigger impact in terms of allowing people to make informed choices would be to lift the age bar on drinking and smoking in the US. In effect this would provide for everyone to have a first go at this in the relative safety of adolescence without having to worry about driving home, getting up on time for work or a kid in the other room.

No worries, thanx for the advice.

Last edited by weesper; 07-14-2006 at 03:19 AM..
Old 07-14-2006, 03:17 AM   #120

It remains to be seen whether condoning soft drugs for personal use would decriminalize its production and distribution; what would however have a bigger impact in terms of allowing people to make informed choices would be to lift the age bar on drinking and smoking in the US. In effect this would provide for everyone to have a first go at this in the relative safety of adolescence without having to worry about driving home, getting up on time for work or a kid in the other room.

No worries, thanx for the advice.

Last edited by weesper; 07-14-2006 at 03:19 AM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply