Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
freemeat
08-21-2010, 08:35 AM

Ok, here is my understanding of "The Pot".

Now before you continue reading please know that I've made a few assumptions which are the basis of my interpretation. However, there is some evidence for these assumptions:

- Lataralus (the album) is supposedly about self-transformation/ego death/enlightenment through various mystical/occult practices. Evidence: Danny's website, and pretty much the whole Alex Grey thing.

- The point of Lateralus was to cause this transformation (Evidence: The Grudge, Parabol/Parabola video clip) through music (and maybe a little LSD).

- Maynard is having a conversation with himself (this may hold true for pretty much all of the TOOL canon).

- Tool have changed their view of enlightenment from accepting yourself to accepting the, let's say "Gaia Consciousness" (Evidence: end of Vicarious video clip, eye in the earth and all that kinda thing. Notice that this happens AFTER the electric dude goes nuts).

- 10,000 Days (the album) is pretty much an apology for Lateralus (!)
Evidence: "...wish it all away", "...followed the path of the hero", "...I forgot my pen".

So here's the breakdown (as I understand it):

Who are you to wave your finger? --> Maynard calling himself (and us) hypocrites.
You must have been outta your head --> sure.
Eye hole deep in muddy waters --> THIRD EYE hole.
You practically raised the dead --> Playing around with nasty occult stuff is bad if you don't know what you're doing.

Rob the grave to snow the cradle
Then burn the evidence down --> Steal energy from the ancestors or whatever, then deny that it was ever them/it that inspired it. (And profit).

Soapbox house of cards and glass so
Don't go tossin' your stones around --> "Give away the stone..." What we told you in Lateralus was pretty much all hogwash, so don't give your spirit-self up to the almighty Chaos (or Bob) just yet...

You must have been high --> oh yes. And a megalomaniac.

Foot in mouth and head up ass
So whatcha talkin' 'bout? --> indeed, I am a hypocrite.
Difficult to dance 'round this one
'til you pull it out. boy, --> oops, gotta fix it.

You must have been so high --> mos' def'.

Steal, borrow, refer, save your shady inference --> we stole all our ideas from eastern mysticism, Aleister Crowley and black magic and stuff and now we regret it.

Kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent --> a Kangaroo court is basically a bogus trial, so we really fucked up by making you believe any of it (Lateralus) was real.

Now you're weeping shades of cozened indigo --> Is it only me who hears something like "chosen" and not "cozened" (pronounced kuhn-zened according to dictionary.com)? well anyway, Maynard's not happy about where Lateralus got us, the whole becoming one thing... it was all a big fake. Indigo - supposed colour of an IMPORTANT chakra.

(Musta) got lemon juice up in your eye --> Indigo is a kind of ink. Lemon juice (or piss) is how you make invisible ink. The wrong ink went into his eye and tainted his brain.

When you pissed all over my black kettle. --> "Pot calling the kettle black" old speak for "You're a fucking hypocrite!". Some totally weird figurative and ironic language going on here.

You must have been high! --> !!!

Who are you to wave your finger?
So full of it --> self explanatory.
Eye balls deep in muddy waters
Fuckin' hypocrite --> "I'm a terrible person!" - Maynard.

Liar, lawyer, mirror, show me. What's the difference? --> now the whole Lawyer thing: I know it's a stretch, but remember the crazy fat dudes from the Parabol/Parabola clip? They're the gateway to Chaos - are they evil? (more later)

Kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent. --> now everyone's fucked.

So who are you to wave your finger?
Who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me? --> Fatty - Fat lawyer dudes. Yes?
You must have been out your mind

Weepin' shades of indigo
Shed without a reason --> We just did it for fame and money and now we regret it because too many deadhead 15-year-olds have sacrificed themselves on our front lawns.
Weepin' shades of indigo

Liar, lawyer - mirror, for you what's the difference?
Kangaroo be stoned. He's guilty as the government. --> The government are sooooo guilty... and a weed reference!

Ganja? P-lease!
You must have been out your mind --> Tool were obviously high when they wrote a lot of their stuff and that's why much of it does not make any sense ;) That, or they're telling us they're over weed (but not their favourite drug! we'll save that for the next few tracks).

Rosetta Stoned can pretty much be interpreted in the same fashion. After that, they return us to the good part of Lateralus (Intension/Disposition) before leaving us with a more mature 'Reflection' than last time.

Last edited by freemeat; 08-21-2010 at 10:08 AM..
Old 08-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Holistic interpretation

Ok, here is my understanding of "The Pot".

Now before you continue reading please know that I've made a few assumptions which are the basis of my interpretation. However, there is some evidence for these assumptions:

- Lataralus (the album) is supposedly about self-transformation/ego death/enlightenment through various mystical/occult practices. Evidence: Danny's website, and pretty much the whole Alex Grey thing.

- The point of Lateralus was to cause this transformation (Evidence: The Grudge, Parabol/Parabola video clip) through music (and maybe a little LSD).

- Maynard is having a conversation with himself (this may hold true for pretty much all of the TOOL canon).

- Tool have changed their view of enlightenment from accepting yourself to accepting the, let's say "Gaia Consciousness" (Evidence: end of Vicarious video clip, eye in the earth and all that kinda thing. Notice that this happens AFTER the electric dude goes nuts).

- 10,000 Days (the album) is pretty much an apology for Lateralus (!)
Evidence: "...wish it all away", "...followed the path of the hero", "...I forgot my pen".

So here's the breakdown (as I understand it):

Who are you to wave your finger? --> Maynard calling himself (and us) hypocrites.
You must have been outta your head --> sure.
Eye hole deep in muddy waters --> THIRD EYE hole.
You practically raised the dead --> Playing around with nasty occult stuff is bad if you don't know what you're doing.

Rob the grave to snow the cradle
Then burn the evidence down --> Steal energy from the ancestors or whatever, then deny that it was ever them/it that inspired it. (And profit).

Soapbox house of cards and glass so
Don't go tossin' your stones around --> "Give away the stone..." What we told you in Lateralus was pretty much all hogwash, so don't give your spirit-self up to the almighty Chaos (or Bob) just yet...

You must have been high --> oh yes. And a megalomaniac.

Foot in mouth and head up ass
So whatcha talkin' 'bout? --> indeed, I am a hypocrite.
Difficult to dance 'round this one
'til you pull it out. boy, --> oops, gotta fix it.

You must have been so high --> mos' def'.

Steal, borrow, refer, save your shady inference --> we stole all our ideas from eastern mysticism, Aleister Crowley and black magic and stuff and now we regret it.

Kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent --> a Kangaroo court is basically a bogus trial, so we really fucked up by making you believe any of it (Lateralus) was real.

Now you're weeping shades of cozened indigo --> Is it only me who hears something like "chosen" and not "cozened" (pronounced kuhn-zened according to dictionary.com)? well anyway, Maynard's not happy about where Lateralus got us, the whole becoming one thing... it was all a big fake. Indigo - supposed colour of an IMPORTANT chakra.

(Musta) got lemon juice up in your eye --> Indigo is a kind of ink. Lemon juice (or piss) is how you make invisible ink. The wrong ink went into his eye and tainted his brain.

When you pissed all over my black kettle. --> "Pot calling the kettle black" old speak for "You're a fucking hypocrite!". Some totally weird figurative and ironic language going on here.

You must have been high! --> !!!

Who are you to wave your finger?
So full of it --> self explanatory.
Eye balls deep in muddy waters
Fuckin' hypocrite --> "I'm a terrible person!" - Maynard.

Liar, lawyer, mirror, show me. What's the difference? --> now the whole Lawyer thing: I know it's a stretch, but remember the crazy fat dudes from the Parabol/Parabola clip? They're the gateway to Chaos - are they evil? (more later)

Kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent. --> now everyone's fucked.

So who are you to wave your finger?
Who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me? --> Fatty - Fat lawyer dudes. Yes?
You must have been out your mind

Weepin' shades of indigo
Shed without a reason --> We just did it for fame and money and now we regret it because too many deadhead 15-year-olds have sacrificed themselves on our front lawns.
Weepin' shades of indigo

Liar, lawyer - mirror, for you what's the difference?
Kangaroo be stoned. He's guilty as the government. --> The government are sooooo guilty... and a weed reference!

Ganja? P-lease!
You must have been out your mind --> Tool were obviously high when they wrote a lot of their stuff and that's why much of it does not make any sense ;) That, or they're telling us they're over weed (but not their favourite drug! we'll save that for the next few tracks).

Rosetta Stoned can pretty much be interpreted in the same fashion. After that, they return us to the good part of Lateralus (Intension/Disposition) before leaving us with a more mature 'Reflection' than last time.

Last edited by freemeat; 08-21-2010 at 10:08 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
freemeat
08-21-2010, 08:40 AM

Or it's about George Bush.

Last edited by freemeat; 08-21-2010 at 08:55 AM..
Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Re: Holistic interpretation

Last edited by freemeat; 08-21-2010 at 08:55 AM..
base metal's Avatar base metal
08-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
I'm gonna go with this (more or less). Interesting read, though.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

Quote:
I'm gonna go with this (more or less). Interesting read, though.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
08-23-2010, 09:39 AM

LMFAO...wowww
Old 08-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

LMFAO...wowww
08-23-2010, 12:38 PM

like that, eh?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement

like that, eh?
gonzo's Avatar gonzo
08-23-2010, 01:18 PM

Al Gore's lament
Old 08-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

Al Gore's lament
08-23-2010, 08:53 PM

GANJA PAH-LEAZE
Old 08-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Level 10 - Vehement

GANJA PAH-LEAZE
freemeat
10-10-2010, 08:29 AM

Ganja?? Where????
Old 10-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

Ganja?? Where????
Rosettastoned451xxxx
02-11-2017, 04:46 PM

Good
Old 02-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Good
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
02-13-2017, 05:40 AM

meh.
Quote:
- Lataralus (the album) is supposedly about self-transformation/ego death/enlightenment through various mystical/occult practices. Evidence: Danny's website, and pretty much the whole Alex Grey thing. (this holds true for pretty much everything maynard james keenan touches)
fix'd.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

meh.
Quote:
- Lataralus (the album) is supposedly about self-transformation/ego death/enlightenment through various mystical/occult practices. Evidence: Danny's website, and pretty much the whole Alex Grey thing. (this holds true for pretty much everything maynard james keenan touches)
fix'd.
12-07-2017, 08:10 AM

where is ganja?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

where is ganja?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply