Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
fakinjamaican90
09-26-2007, 06:52 PM

so u guys think maynards tryin to sing or tryin to sound like a black person would talk, or more maybe like an old pissed off black woman, idk.

like at the begining hes all like you musta been out yo head nigga wuts the matt wif u?

and then at the end hes like ganja? please......... its like ganja? nigga please, i mean who else is he supposed to be sounding like?

so yea anybody agree with me on the whole ebonics talk in this song?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
ghetto maynard

so u guys think maynards tryin to sing or tryin to sound like a black person would talk, or more maybe like an old pissed off black woman, idk.

like at the begining hes all like you musta been out yo head nigga wuts the matt wif u?

and then at the end hes like ganja? please......... its like ganja? nigga please, i mean who else is he supposed to be sounding like?

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
cade_nce's Avatar cade_nce
09-26-2007, 11:18 PM

I absolutely agree. This is their blues album, so it made complete sense the first time I heard it. "Ganja police" made no fucking sense, before the lyrics were released. "Kangaroo be stoned..."? Yep. The song's about a lot of things: Bush, oil, war, along with those who bitch and moan about that but don't step up to rectify the situation. Pot meet kettle. "Muddy waters" is referencing both the blues musician and New Orleans, along with both Bush's increasing inanity as well as the shit that those against the war spew while being just as ignorant as Bush about politics and foreign policy and...well knowledge in general.

So yeah, I think he's definitely trying to sound like that.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 142
Re: ghetto maynard

I absolutely agree. This is their blues album, so it made complete sense the first time I heard it. "Ganja police" made no fucking sense, before the lyrics were released. "Kangaroo be stoned..."? Yep. The song's about a lot of things: Bush, oil, war, along with those who bitch and moan about that but don't step up to rectify the situation. Pot meet kettle. "Muddy waters" is referencing both the blues musician and New Orleans, along with both Bush's increasing inanity as well as the shit that those against the war spew while being just as ignorant as Bush about politics and foreign policy and...well knowledge in general.

wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
09-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cade_nce View Post

lol.

thought you were kidding there for a sec.

I certainly would have been.

and I think trying to sound "black" is silly.

really damn silly.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 09-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

lol.

thought you were kidding there for a sec.

I certainly would have been.

really damn silly.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
09-27-2007, 05:03 PM

You wanna tell me what "Kangaroo be stoned" is, then?

And is it any more silly than trying to sound country singing "Cuntry Boner"?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

slamminsalmon's Avatar slamminsalmon
09-27-2007, 05:05 PM

worst thread ever.

it needs more bin, & ban.

the op should never post again
amirite?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

worst thread ever.

it needs more bin, & ban.

the op should never post again
amirite?
09-27-2007, 05:09 PM

After reading other posts by the OP...yeah, definitely needs the bin. Ganja fo real yo...*still agree with the main point*
Old 09-27-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

After reading other posts by the OP...yeah, definitely needs the bin. Ganja fo real yo...*still agree with the main point*
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
10-01-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakinjamaican90 View Post

You gotta be fucking kidding me....<shakes head in disbelief and disgust>
Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:

You gotta be fucking kidding me....<shakes head in disbelief and disgust>
10-02-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Kangaroo = kangaroo court [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_court]

be stoned = several interpretations that have much or little to do with being "stoned" in the drug-induced sense. Might have to do with being literally stoned (as in executed by the throwing of stones).

Nothing to do with ebonics or trying to sound "black".

And a big "fuck you" to all of those who are saying that blacks have a certain "way" that they sound. You might as well call it "inner city" or "rap" speak - it has nothing to do with the color of skin. Try thinking outside the color of the skin.

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 10-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

be stoned = several interpretations that have much or little to do with being "stoned" in the drug-induced sense. Might have to do with being literally stoned (as in executed by the throwing of stones).

And a big "fuck you" to all of those who are saying that blacks have a certain "way" that they sound. You might as well call it "inner city" or "rap" speak - it has nothing to do with the color of skin. Try thinking outside the color of the skin.

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
emir7's Avatar emir7
10-02-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
That's deep, man.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
That's deep, man.
10-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethestories View Post

wearethestories (another less bulky name I should call you by?), I'd thought of that (re: literally stoned to death), but I could never get around "Kangaroo be stoned". The only other thing I can think of is in the sense of "[something] be damned", or that kind of phrasing. Is that in line with what you're thinking or do you have another idea? And I've known about Kangaroo courts long before the 'nard, but thanks for the attempt to be thorough.

Looking back on my original post here, I'm upset that it came off as reinforcing the stereotypical qualities of the OP. I think I read too much into the OP (which kind of makes me want a shower). I "wholeheartedly" agreed that Maynard was trying to ape the dialect associated with a specific region (New Orleans, in this case), but not that black people constituted the bulk of those who speak that way. I've lived in rural South Carolina way too long to make that mistake :). Many apologies if it seemed like I was supporting that. Call it "n00bishness" and an eagerness to post. *humbly bows and backs away*
Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #10
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

wearethestories (another less bulky name I should call you by?), I'd thought of that (re: literally stoned to death), but I could never get around "Kangaroo be stoned". The only other thing I can think of is in the sense of "[something] be damned", or that kind of phrasing. Is that in line with what you're thinking or do you have another idea? And I've known about Kangaroo courts long before the 'nard, but thanks for the attempt to be thorough.

Looking back on my original post here, I'm upset that it came off as reinforcing the stereotypical qualities of the OP. I think I read too much into the OP (which kind of makes me want a shower). I "wholeheartedly" agreed that Maynard was trying to ape the dialect associated with a specific region (New Orleans, in this case), but not that black people constituted the bulk of those who speak that way. I've lived in rural South Carolina way too long to make that mistake :). Many apologies if it seemed like I was supporting that. Call it "n00bishness" and an eagerness to post. *humbly bows and backs away*
10-03-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Agreed. I've known many white friends that were more ghetto and grimy than other black friends. I grew up being color blind in the sense of judging people for people, not their color or background. Growing up, almost all my friends were either black or hispanic. Hell, the first girl I ever dated and kissed was black. Now I may not be into the "thug culture" as I once was as a kid now that I've grown up and have a kid. But I sure as hell understand it and know where the ideology comes from. You'll never see me down anybody for that, only if you're lame and unintelligent.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Agreed. I've known many white friends that were more ghetto and grimy than other black friends. I grew up being color blind in the sense of judging people for people, not their color or background. Growing up, almost all my friends were either black or hispanic. Hell, the first girl I ever dated and kissed was black. Now I may not be into the "thug culture" as I once was as a kid now that I've grown up and have a kid. But I sure as hell understand it and know where the ideology comes from. You'll never see me down anybody for that, only if you're lame and unintelligent.
10-03-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
You can call me Eric, if you want Cade.

I haven't gotten through the whole "be" stoned thing either. Could simply be condemning the kangaroo court thing - as in "damn those kangaroo courts"; or it could be "kangaroo courts be damned, this guy's guilty", though I'm not sure that that makes any sense.

And my intention was not to call you out on racism, but merely to show frustration with the OP. And your tone/posts haven't earned you the title of "n00b" yet, so don't go claiming that or bowing out. Get back here and speak.

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 10-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
You can call me Eric, if you want Cade.

I haven't gotten through the whole "be" stoned thing either. Could simply be condemning the kangaroo court thing - as in "damn those kangaroo courts"; or it could be "kangaroo courts be damned, this guy's guilty", though I'm not sure that that makes any sense.

And my intention was not to call you out on racism, but merely to show frustration with the OP. And your tone/posts haven't earned you the title of "n00b" yet, so don't go claiming that or bowing out. Get back here and speak.

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
10-03-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
lolz.

and thanks for your humility on the other thread, Inner_, it's nice to see it from you now and again. *winks*

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 10-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
lolz.

and thanks for your humility on the other thread, Inner_, it's nice to see it from you now and again. *winks*

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
10-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Eric -
Hah, my bowing out was less about hanging my head in shame and more about getting out of this thread, considering the OP.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Eric -
Hah, my bowing out was less about hanging my head in shame and more about getting out of this thread, considering the OP.
10-04-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
lolz.

I can admit it when I know I'm wrong
Old 10-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #15
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
lolz.

I can admit it when I know I'm wrong
03-12-2008, 10:25 AM

What part of South Cackalacker you from yo? I be located in the bulging metropolis that be its Capitol. (notice the sarcastic mix of dialect aimed at poking fun at the OP)

I'm not getting where the perception of accent in the song is coming from...

I clearly hear..."you must have been out your head"

Now, grammtically I can see the errors. He most certainly should have said "you must have been out OF your head"...but the actual accent of dialect, I'm just not hearing.

Why is telling someone they "sound Brit" or "sound country" not nearly as big of a deal as saying someone "sounds black"?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

What part of South Cackalacker you from yo? I be located in the bulging metropolis that be its Capitol. (notice the sarcastic mix of dialect aimed at poking fun at the OP)

I'm not getting where the perception of accent in the song is coming from...

I clearly hear..."you must have been out your head"

Now, grammtically I can see the errors. He most certainly should have said "you must have been out OF your head"...but the actual accent of dialect, I'm just not hearing.

Why is telling someone they "sound Brit" or "sound country" not nearly as big of a deal as saying someone "sounds black"?
03-24-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Why? Black people have superior genetics to white people. They have twich-reflexes, plus the American blacks have been strength-bred. The slave drivers only let the strong ones reproduce back in the day, little did he know he was speeding up natural selection to seat the godly African American at it's throne, as the physically fastest & strongest race. Their lower center-of-gravity gives them superior balance. They're also more socially adaptable, & less prone to violence. Great work ethic, too; "The Black Man puts the food on the table for his family." There's also an argument that information travels through their brains much more efficiently than most of us here.

EDIT: Not to mention that some of the southERN black Africans are even becoming immune to AIDS, for fuck's sake.

shit's ridiculous. Is it also ironic that the only TRULY dominant champions of combat sports are black?

Lennox Lewis
Floyd Mayweather jr
Sugar Ray Leonard
Anderson Silva
Ernesto Hoost

WATCH OUT: You're dead.

Last edited by ๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ; 03-24-2008 at 10:59 AM..
Old 03-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Why? Black people have superior genetics to white people. They have twich-reflexes, plus the American blacks have been strength-bred. The slave drivers only let the strong ones reproduce back in the day, little did he know he was speeding up natural selection to seat the godly African American at it's throne, as the physically fastest & strongest race. Their lower center-of-gravity gives them superior balance. They're also more socially adaptable, & less prone to violence. Great work ethic, too; "The Black Man puts the food on the table for his family." There's also an argument that information travels through their brains much more efficiently than most of us here.

EDIT: Not to mention that some of the southERN black Africans are even becoming immune to AIDS, for fuck's sake.

shit's ridiculous. Is it also ironic that the only TRULY dominant champions of combat sports are black?

Lennox Lewis
Floyd Mayweather jr
Sugar Ray Leonard
Anderson Silva
Ernesto Hoost

WATCH OUT: You're dead.

Last edited by ๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ; 03-24-2008 at 10:59 AM..
gjamison27's Avatar gjamison27
03-24-2008, 11:16 AM

Don't forget about basketball and baseball and football and golf and hockey (when they learn to skate, which will be very soon).

We even have one running for President which means they are now intellectually superior as well.

It definitely doesn't have anything to do with the individual person by any means...
Old 03-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

Don't forget about basketball and baseball and football and golf and hockey (when they learn to skate, which will be very soon).

We even have one running for President which means they are now intellectually superior as well.

It definitely doesn't have anything to do with the individual person by any means...
03-24-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ View Post

Lennox Lewis
Floyd Mayweather jr
Sugar Ray Leonard
Anderson Silva
Ernesto Hoost
Da' Spida...that man is amazing...Floyd is too

However, I must say it is quite disgusting to see one of these threads turn into a black/white thing.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #19
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ View Post

Lennox Lewis
Floyd Mayweather jr
Sugar Ray Leonard
Anderson Silva
Ernesto Hoost
Da' Spida...that man is amazing...Floyd is too

However, I must say it is quite disgusting to see one of these threads turn into a black/white thing.
03-25-2008, 04:20 AM

Rivek missed it completely...

But Lennox Lewis would kick all those non-white asses anyway :-O
Old 03-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Rivek missed it completely...

But Lennox Lewis would kick all those non-white asses anyway :-O
07-07-2010, 12:54 PM

"pissed all over my black ghetto".
who? katrina--that's who