Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
MyShadow23
05-12-2006, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilzero
What a beautiful analogy.
As a pointless addition to this thread, especially since i think the start is miles off the mark...i did hear on early listenings something like "Line on line on mirror..."

Probably just the initial potential drug reference. I don't think this is correct at all, but interesting in light of the addition of foil as a lyric.

Wrong nonetheless.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:16 AM   #41
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Liar, Lawyer; Mirror, Foil....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilzero
What a beautiful analogy.
As a pointless addition to this thread, especially since i think the start is miles off the mark...i did hear on early listenings something like "Line on line on mirror..."

Probably just the initial potential drug reference. I don't think this is correct at all, but interesting in light of the addition of foil as a lyric.

Wrong nonetheless.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Koan's Avatar Koan
05-12-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Reflections11
I agree with Sanzen. Its like MJK is handing the lawyer the mirror and asking him the rhetorical question, 'Liar, Lawyer, Whats the Difference man?'

"Liar, Lawyer, Mirror Show Me, Whats the difference?" is what I hear.
Yep, I definitly hear that too. The cocaine reference of 'foil' doesn't really make sense with the rest of the song anyway.
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
Old 05-12-2006, 09:07 AM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Reflections11
I agree with Sanzen. Its like MJK is handing the lawyer the mirror and asking him the rhetorical question, 'Liar, Lawyer, Whats the Difference man?'

Yep, I definitly hear that too. The cocaine reference of 'foil' doesn't really make sense with the rest of the song anyway.
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
JesusIsCuming's Avatar JesusIsCuming
05-12-2006, 12:36 PM

Liar, lawyer, mirror show me, what's the difference

Liar, Lawyer, mirror for you, what's the difference

I certainly beleive this is what he is saying. But beleive what you will. I leave it to you to decide...............
But before the fire, you die from fright."
Larry Smit - 1999
Old 05-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #43
Level 2 - Poster

Liar, lawyer, mirror show me, what's the difference

Liar, Lawyer, mirror for you, what's the difference

I certainly beleive this is what he is saying. But beleive what you will. I leave it to you to decide...............
But before the fire, you die from fright."
Larry Smit - 1999
Bukkhead
05-13-2006, 08:53 PM

I like "foil" way better. Been listening to that section over and over again-- everyone's hearing is subjective, so it's pointless to assert what individual consonants "are defintly" there. I like foil, because, as one person pointed out, "foil" is a literary term, meaning contrasting element and/or enemy. Liar, Lawyer, Mirror, Foil becomes: Liars are the same as lawyers, and the guy you see in the mirror is the one you ought be judging, (not me). The lawyer reference goes along with the kangaroo court reference, since there are no lawyers in a kangaroo court, (just lies).

Just my PoV-- and first post.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #44
Level 4 - Thinker

I like "foil" way better. Been listening to that section over and over again-- everyone's hearing is subjective, so it's pointless to assert what individual consonants "are defintly" there. I like foil, because, as one person pointed out, "foil" is a literary term, meaning contrasting element and/or enemy. Liar, Lawyer, Mirror, Foil becomes: Liars are the same as lawyers, and the guy you see in the mirror is the one you ought be judging, (not me). The lawyer reference goes along with the kangaroo court reference, since there are no lawyers in a kangaroo court, (just lies).

lateralus0
05-13-2006, 09:12 PM

i think he's saying 'for ya'

but at the same time, foil makes sense

liar, lawyer, mirror, foil

liar = mirror - you yourself are a liar, as you can see yourself clearly
lawyer = foil - foil being reflective, but doesn't show you a clear image

hm, i'm not sure i can explain what i was thinking, but it made sense for a minute hah
Old 05-13-2006, 09:12 PM   #45
Level 4 - Thinker

i think he's saying 'for ya'

but at the same time, foil makes sense

liar, lawyer, mirror, foil

liar = mirror - you yourself are a liar, as you can see yourself clearly
lawyer = foil - foil being reflective, but doesn't show you a clear image

hm, i'm not sure i can explain what i was thinking, but it made sense for a minute hah
HateSolstice
05-13-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkhead

You're actually one of the only people I've seen stray away from the "der, it's teh heroin drug!" line of thought. I can see what you're saying, and it actually makes some good sense.

But, "Liar/Lawyer, Mirror for you, what's the difference?" is what I hear. And the way I see it playing out is the whole Liars and Lawyers spiel, and then the Mirror for you part meaning that the Liars and Lawyers are a mirror image of you, whoever "you" happens to be in the song.

Just another way of looking at it.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:50 PM   #46
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkhead

You're actually one of the only people I've seen stray away from the "der, it's teh heroin drug!" line of thought. I can see what you're saying, and it actually makes some good sense.

But, "Liar/Lawyer, Mirror for you, what's the difference?" is what I hear. And the way I see it playing out is the whole Liars and Lawyers spiel, and then the Mirror for you part meaning that the Liars and Lawyers are a mirror image of you, whoever "you" happens to be in the song.

Just another way of looking at it.
04-30-2014, 11:09 AM

"Liar, lawyer, mirror, voyeur" is what I hear, and it makes much more sense given the context of the song in my honest opinion. However I know about as much as the rest of you. I know of no lyrics other than the ones posted on the interwebs.

vo·yeur·ism
[vwah-yur-iz-uhm, voi-, voi-uh-riz-] Show IPA
noun
the practice of obtaining sexual gratification by looking at sexual objects or acts, especially secretively.

Last edited by Uden; 04-30-2014 at 11:12 AM..
Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

"Liar, lawyer, mirror, voyeur" is what I hear, and it makes much more sense given the context of the song in my honest opinion. However I know about as much as the rest of you. I know of no lyrics other than the ones posted on the interwebs.

vo·yeur·ism
[vwah-yur-iz-uhm, voi-, voi-uh-riz-] Show IPA
noun
the practice of obtaining sexual gratification by looking at sexual objects or acts, especially secretively.

Last edited by Uden; 04-30-2014 at 11:12 AM..
TTjhwk87
12-14-2017, 04:33 PM

I propose that it is "Liar, Lawyer, Mirror, Foil" and here's why:

Analogously, Liar :: Mirror & Lawyer :: Foil in this comparison.

Liar -- a well defined word that does not hide its definition from anyone who knows it.
Lawyer -- an obfuscation of a liar -- we all know lawyers are known for lying, but they aren't outright, obvious liars at all times.

In this same milieu, a mirror provides a clear definition of its subject, while foil would be a poor reflector, obfuscating the real image just enough to hide behind the low-resolution reflection it provides.

I'm sure no one agrees, but that's my take.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

I propose that it is "Liar, Lawyer, Mirror, Foil" and here's why:

Analogously, Liar :: Mirror & Lawyer :: Foil in this comparison.

Liar -- a well defined word that does not hide its definition from anyone who knows it.
Lawyer -- an obfuscation of a liar -- we all know lawyers are known for lying, but they aren't outright, obvious liars at all times.

In this same milieu, a mirror provides a clear definition of its subject, while foil would be a poor reflector, obfuscating the real image just enough to hide behind the low-resolution reflection it provides.

I'm sure no one agrees, but that's my take.
Malaclypse
12-14-2017, 04:50 PM

http://toolshed.down.net/lyrics/10kdayslyrics.php

Quote:
Official lyrics are now available for all songs except "Intension" (and the segue tracks).
Quote:
Liar, lawyer - mirror, for you what's the difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Reflections11 View Post

i interpret more as saying "we're all liars, what's the difference between him and i?"
Old 12-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #49
Banned.

http://toolshed.down.net/lyrics/10kdayslyrics.php

Quote:
Official lyrics are now available for all songs except "Intension" (and the segue tracks).
Quote:
Liar, lawyer - mirror, for you what's the difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Reflections11 View Post

i interpret more as saying "we're all liars, what's the difference between him and i?"
TTjhwk87
12-15-2017, 04:47 PM

After listening to it again just now, I'll say it definitely sounds more like "for ya" than "foil."

I spent way too long thinking about the reason it would be "foil" and it was just interesting for a time, I suppose.

Thanks for the good discussion.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

After listening to it again just now, I'll say it definitely sounds more like "for ya" than "foil."

I spent way too long thinking about the reason it would be "foil" and it was just interesting for a time, I suppose.

Malaclypse
12-15-2017, 04:54 PM

well i mean, it's always fun to think of different interpretations/phrases, it's just not the official lyrics lol

on Jambi, i always imagine it as being "the devil's minions had me down" instead of the official "the devil and his had me down"

i didn't mean to sound like a party pooper, so my bad if i did.

Last edited by Malaclypse; 12-15-2017 at 04:55 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #51
Banned.

well i mean, it's always fun to think of different interpretations/phrases, it's just not the official lyrics lol

on Jambi, i always imagine it as being "the devil's minions had me down" instead of the official "the devil and his had me down"

i didn't mean to sound like a party pooper, so my bad if i did.

Last edited by Malaclypse; 12-15-2017 at 04:55 PM..
J A G's Avatar J A G
12-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTjhwk87 View Post

Maybe I'm just another obsessed Tool fan, but I had my friend who's an audio technician extract all the other tracks and pull that up one part and isolate it. I even went as far as uploading it to youtube so you can hear it. This should clear things up. Enjoy!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #52

Bincount™: 7676

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTjhwk87 View Post

Maybe I'm just another obsessed Tool fan, but I had my friend who's an audio technician extract all the other tracks and pull that up one part and isolate it. I even went as far as uploading it to youtube so you can hear it. This should clear things up. Enjoy!
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
12-16-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J A G View Post
I think that it's a clue as to how the new album is going to sound.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #53
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Quote:
Originally Posted by J A G View Post
I think that it's a clue as to how the new album is going to sound.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply