opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » Artwork
User Name
Password
Old 12-16-2002, 03:58 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 2518
new TOOL logo . . .

i guess its not that new if "lateralus" has been out for ages, but what does everyone think of the chunky-strike-through TOOL logo? . . .

i think it looks kind of weird, and i prefered the TOOL logo on "AEnima" . . . it took me a while to get used to it, but i like it none-the-less . . .

any ideas on why they changed the logo? . . .

ha, maybe the strike-through represents them getting closer to the end of their careers, so the fatter it gets, the nearer the end is . . . hee hee . . . its a joke, settle down . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 09:54 AM   #2
meh.

Bincount™: 1074
When I first saw it, I was a little surprised -- I figured there was some sort of meaning to this new logo.

After a while (on the way home from the Tabernacle show, actually), I thought about it a good bit -- and I noticed the following:

1. The letters are all lowercase. This almost undeniably represents four-way equality among the band members.

2. The "strikethrough" seems to represent a tighter bond between all four members. It took listening to Schism a few times to put this into my head -- but it makes plenty of sense to me.

HTH.

Thanks.
Chris Brightwell // moderator
Old 12-16-2002, 02:33 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
I'm not saying anything said is wrong, but do you not think that every now and then "they"[tool] just do things because they like it or think it looks good?

I mean i like dissecting things and figuring out [Why] it is like it is. But for some reason it seems like everything they have ever done is being dissected.

I mean i know that the discovery of knew things and thinking for yourself is neccesary if you are an avid follower of the band but sometimes i set and wonder what in the hell it is we are discussing lol

anyways good day
Old 12-19-2002, 02:29 AM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Unity

I think this new logo has a meaning.
All the letters are melted together and thats how tool is.
By complete unity between the four bandmembers, they can make such a spriritual album like Lateralus.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:17 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

actually if you look at arabic, and many other middle eastern languages, you might see a slight resembalance to the "font" style of the new logo, i think this probably has something to do with danny's new found passion for indian music, aloke dutta, and the tablas.

Just a thought

Ghost
Old 12-22-2002, 01:33 AM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

...And does anyone find this "font" a little difficult to read? Just a little? Especially on things like beanies and hats? hehe.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:05 AM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

The strike out in the world tool also in apears in the APC logos. on their cds and i all the merchendise i can remember. maybe there is symbolance there?...i don't think so i think only discredits some theories.

I do like and want to believe that being closer or more united is why they did and all be lower case being all equal, but if that were true they could all be capitlized this wasn't my idea though some one above me had already stated this.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:43 PM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 138
Being quite familiar with Eastern art and architecture, I have noticed that the letters of the logo are very similar to the way temples are depicted in many traditional works of art. There may also be some other symbolism in the logo as well though.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:21 AM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 79
I agree with the tool part, but if someone could explain the la ter al us part I'd be happy :o)
You never meant a word. Not a fucking word of it. I am so sick of goodbyes. So sick of committing suicide. I am so sick of the in between, now and then. So sick of swinging the hammer. So sick of my suicide, of burying every hero that I had.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:15 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12
The division of Lateralus has a couple of possible meanings.

Notice how the bar joining the L to US in "LUS" is longer than the others, and the US part is lower down, leading to "Lateral-Us."

Also, the word Lateralus on the cover is divided into it's syllables - "LA" - "TE" - "RA" - "LUS." This, plus the nine eyes on the cover, leads to track 9-Lateralus - and the syllables could be a clue to discovering the Fibonacci sequence in the lyrics.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:36 PM   #11
Banned.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paraguay

Notice how the bar joining the L to US in "LUS" is longer than the others, and the US part is lower down, leading to "Lateral-Us."

Also, the word Lateralus on the cover is divided into it's syllables - "LA" - "TE" - "RA" - "LUS." This, plus the nine eyes on the cover, leads to track 9-Lateralus - and the syllables could be a clue to discovering the Fibonacci sequence in the lyrics.
i love you guys . . .

this forum kicks arse . . . it really does . . .

crow011 . . .
Old 02-01-2003, 09:51 AM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 79
Quote:

lateral

\Lat"er*al\, a. [L. lateralis, fr. latus, lateris, side: cf. F. lat['e]ral.] 1. Of or pertaining to the sides; as, the lateral walls of a house; the lateral branches of a tree.

2. (Anat.) Lying at, or extending toward, the side; away from the mesial plane; external

Based on that, are you saying that Maynard and Co. were trying to get across that we need to get out of our material body to explore things?

"Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."

That'd back up the claim quite well.

And I agree with crow, this board kicks ass.
You never meant a word. Not a fucking word of it. I am so sick of goodbyes. So sick of committing suicide. I am so sick of the in between, now and then. So sick of swinging the hammer. So sick of my suicide, of burying every hero that I had.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:31 PM   #13
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 322
Experience

I was listening to stinkfist with my eyes closed, away from reality and slowly slipping into that warm alien world. As i forgot the position of my limbs i forgot my position in the world. Forgetting is sometimes the only way. My mind began to strike images in my brain of twisting and swirling energies around the human brain, turning into swooping drafts of life wind under my entire head which was now 30 feet from the ground. I felt as though i was a balloon, at this time parabola was on and "Over thinking over analyzing, seperates the body from the mind." Struck me like a ton of bricks. My frontal lobe began to feel swollen and my brain disconnected. I was not aware of my physical self, it is here that my thoughts run pure, it is here that infinite internal can be addressed so that the infinite external can be solved.

http://wu.sw0bes.com/calendar.htm
Old 02-08-2003, 09:11 AM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

tradition

its a tradition for bands to change their logo once a member leaves, now, lateralus came out a while after paul left, but lateralus was also the first album justin got to write everything on. thats a well known fact, many bands have done it, like incubus.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:35 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Re: tradition

Quote:
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.

It's quite possible that they just think the new logo looks cool:P
Old 03-15-2003, 11:49 PM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i think that lateralus is about life itself today. to the fact that what we feel, isn't real. "overthinking, over analizing, seperates the body from the mind" to me that means, if you really think about something....and really study it....you'll be engrossed by it. and i heard somewhere that lateralus is a muscle in the back of your leg, and if you didn't have it....you wouldn't be able to stand.....kinda interestin, huh? its like the lyrics to lateralus the song, plus the lyrics to parabol, and porabola. in this CD there are alot of songs about different emotions. like "the grudge" that talks about rules and restrictions. the song "the patient" that talks about waitin it out, even though its tuough. the song "schizm" which talkes about love. and the song "Ticks and Leeches" talks about back stabbers. to me, i think the CD and its songs are about different feelings, and how with out them we are nothing. hince "lateralus" the muscle thing. so its like without these feelings, we wouldn't be alive....
Old 03-18-2003, 12:52 PM   #17
Banned.

Bincount™: 3
*"I'm not saying anything said is wrong, but do you not think that every now and then "they"[tool] just do things because they like it or think it looks good? "*

you do realize that you're talking about Tool right?
...course we can't say you're wrong either...
Old 03-24-2003, 06:21 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 9
i like the new logo a lot
Old 04-13-2003, 12:47 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Also, the word Lateralus on the cover is divided into it's syllables - "LA" - "TE" - "RA" - "LUS."
it's a chant.

try it

LA
TE
RA
LUS
Old 04-14-2003, 07:50 PM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by five3three
I'm not saying anything said is wrong, but do you not think that every now and then "they"[tool] just do things because they like it or think it looks good?

I mean i like dissecting things and figuring out [Why] it is like it is. But for some reason it seems like everything they have ever done is being dissected.

I mean i know that the discovery of knew things and thinking for yourself is neccesary if you are an avid follower of the band but sometimes i set and wonder what in the hell it is we are discussing lol

anyways good day

if you were putting something out that the whole world will see, would you put no meaning into it?
Old 04-20-2003, 05:11 PM   #21
Banned.

Bincount™: 1
Quote:

Perhapes it just means Later a lus. Meaning I'll see you later.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:34 PM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by five3three

anyways good day
amen to that...

btw i love that logo it's beautiful..
Old 04-30-2003, 04:44 PM   #23
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

nevermind the logo.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:53 AM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"nevermind the logo."

first of all. look at the title of the forum topic

"new TOOL logo' if u dont wanna read about go else where
i thought this stuff was really cool
track 9
9 letters
9 eyes

on word, we are all on mind

also in the song lateralis, its talking about spiraling out
my idea was that, its experiancing new things. while you leave your phsyical body (vessal). maby that is the image in the cd.
the man is breaking down into, and leaving the body and spiraling out. it allso follows a track in the cd. its after parabol parabola witch i think is about new life then moving onto new things and relizing there is more to life then our phsyical body, then spiraling out

iono maby im crazy. the other cd talks about merkaba, witch is channeling energy and leving the body sorta idea same with astral projection. ummm. every little detail might mean some thing on a tool album, maby its nothing. :D
Old 07-18-2003, 10:32 AM   #25
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 87
The only annoying thing about the logo is people looking at any tool t shirt you wear and then saying.....

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT SAY!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:56 PM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

lateralis and logo identical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowlicker
I think this new logo has a meaning.
All the letters are melted together and thats how tool is.
By complete unity between the four bandmembers, they can make such a spriritual album like Lateralus.
In as much as I agree that the new logo indeed stands for something, I have always felt something very military about the previous logos. Inherently, half of the letters included in the name contain right angles; how many individually distinct characters in the new logo contain angles?

Can we communicate the connectivity and metamorphical properties of Lateralus by giving a visually- enhanced preconcept of what the album would be about (i.e. change and movement through and beyond self)?

dsyFUNctionaly yrs.,
erik
Old 10-28-2003, 01:05 PM   #27
Level 3 - Talker

Re: new TOOL logo . . .

no. i have to disagree. it is meaningless.

like if maynard went for a shit, would people stand around talking about how he sits on the pan, and how the time of his defocation could relate to an impending nuclear disaster??? probably.
idiots.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:34 AM   #28
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=a=t=e=r=a=l=u=s
no. i have to disagree. it is meaningless.

like if maynard went for a shit, would people stand around talking about how he sits on the pan, and how the time of his defocation could relate to an impending nuclear disaster??? probably.
idiots.
dude dont be a jackass...all you had to say was that you thought the new logo didnt really mean anything. I agree in that it doesnt have a meaningin my opinion, but its still cool anyways
Old 12-02-2003, 08:06 PM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbutler
The only annoying thing about the logo is people looking at any tool t shirt you wear and then saying.....

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT SAY!
its enought to want to say "learn to read, fucker" - the same thing happens when they see the lateralus logo somewhere

i mean, i love both logos... ive even drawn the tool one on my bag - black Artline, and a gold pen outline - some of my friends even asked me if it was official tool bag - lol

i even make a torpid prey logo using the same concept - ill scan it up one day and show some folk

*** ']['orpid Prey ***

Last edited by Torpid_Prey; 12-02-2003 at 08:11 PM..
Old 12-04-2003, 10:13 AM   #30
Level 3 - Talker

The logo rocks, stop over-analyzing it so damn much though. I mean it's just letters...that look pretty sweet though.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:19 PM   #31
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilomind
Being quite familiar with Eastern art and architecture, I have noticed that the letters of the logo are very similar to the way temples are depicted in many traditional works of art. There may also be some other symbolism in the logo as well though.
your post reflects my thoughts on the logo -- not that i have pondered it as in depth as some of you ;) but i see the logo also visually representing a temple or a church.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:50 PM   #32
Banned.

Bincount™: 56

damn, I just want the fucking font...
Old 01-04-2004, 02:16 PM   #33
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

well, i think it may be going around in cycles. opiate, aenima and salival all have the same logo. only undertow was dif. i think its cool, the new one. time to go eat a sandwitch
Old 01-13-2004, 10:28 PM   #34
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

personally i think they did it just because it matchs the lateralus sound more than the TOOL logo does, and its a change
Old 01-25-2004, 03:56 PM   #35
suitably pretentious

Bincount™: 1455

personally i think it looks fecken cool
Old 01-26-2004, 04:28 PM   #36
.TP
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1929

Quote:

Pink Gentile: if you were putting something out that the whole world will see, would you put no meaning into it?

does that mean that every single logo of every band has a specific meaning?, at least the nirvana logo were just fonts, just an example.

why can it not be just a new logo they put on because they got tired of the old one?
Old 02-29-2004, 11:46 AM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

A friend's mother first thought, the logo would be a church, when she saw it on my shirt and my grandma thought, it was my school (the logo of my school looks similar). I guess it should look arabic and I like it very much. But I think, this is an Lateralus-only-logo and there will be another logo on the next album (maybe the old.) Just an idea. Please excuse my englisch. I'm from the old Europe ;-)
Old 03-01-2004, 07:06 PM   #38
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 277

"englisch"...that's pretty cool; i'm gonna start spelling it like that.

yeah, and i like certain things about the new logo better than the old, as i like certain things about the old one better than the new. the new one represents unity in a more obvious manner, and it's also harder to read which makes for hilarious hijinks when someone tries to figure out what the hell my shirt says. also, the new one is less masculine than the old one, which seems to reflect tool's evolving musical direction. however, i liked the old one because of its masculinity. it was pretty "hardcore", for lack of a better word.

i'm glad to see my buddy crow's thread still going strong after more than a year. keep up the good work, my man.

crow's lover . . .
Old 03-20-2004, 09:26 PM   #39
On Probation

Bincount™: 204

tool are a band that encourage thought and a true understanding of live and yourself through knowledge and thought.
HOWEVER
does anyone else get the feeling now matter how much you know, no mater how much 'aliester crowly' youve read, no mater how much you've meditated, in the big picture do you feel as humans and individuals we know absoltely nothing? does anyone now how discouraging and depressing this is?

i'm begining to regret posting this already, don't take it to heart, it's just a thought
Old 03-21-2004, 04:25 PM   #40
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Kurtz
i'm glad to see my buddy crow's thread still going strong after more than a year. keep up the good work, my man.
i thought that was weird, too . . .

it has more views than my post count . . .

crow011 . . .

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: