Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 10. Right in Two
User Name
Password
Reply
mjr
06-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Reply With Quote

...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
mjr
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 287
Bincount™: 0
If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
millselonius
06-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Reply With Quote

You should stop listening to Tool then. It has nothing to do with religion or God anyway.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4
Bincount™: 0
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

You should stop listening to Tool then. It has nothing to do with religion or God anyway.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
MistarChang
06-14-2006, 01:55 AM
Reply With Quote

"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here"

In light of the rest of the song, I think perhaps what Maynard means it that 'repugnant' is any individual who wishes to live selfishly (ie. killing other monkeys over pieces of the ground) rather than working with the whole to realise a utopia, an Eden that the human race could easily achieve if only we would open our fucking eyes.

Last edited by MistarChang; 06-14-2006 at 02:02 AM..
Old 06-14-2006, 01:55 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 4
Bincount™: 0
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here"

In light of the rest of the song, I think perhaps what Maynard means it that 'repugnant' is any individual who wishes to live selfishly (ie. killing other monkeys over pieces of the ground) rather than working with the whole to realise a utopia, an Eden that the human race could easily achieve if only we would open our fucking eyes.

Last edited by MistarChang; 06-14-2006 at 02:02 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Verboten's Avatar Verboten
06-14-2006, 01:59 AM
Reply With Quote

He's referring to spiritual enlightenment; like so much of their music has.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:59 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Verboten's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: D:
Posts: 357
Bincount™: 60
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

He's referring to spiritual enlightenment; like so much of their music has.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
j1m
06-14-2006, 03:36 AM
Reply With Quote

i think hes saying that humans are the only living beings on earth that are conscience that they will die (not just that they might die). with that in mind and in light of the other lyric 'monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground' why would we want to speed this process up by sencelessly killing each other over somthing that is constantly chaging anyway??

i don't think maynard is saying to raise an eye to heaven and fear the creator so that you don't go to hell that's what your average catholic would have do, that runs against tha grain of what i think tool are on about.

personally i rekon this song is a masterpiece a stand alone cos not only does it talk about creation but also evolution as well as in a way asking the question what would the angels/god/jesus (beings that i think only exist in our minds and are only as real as our minds) think of the human species actions? maynard is right in saying that they would be 'puzzeled and amused'. by comparing us to monkeys i think he's trying to bring in the obviousnes of our evolution and at the same time emphasizing the fact that these actions are without reason. i've laid awake at nite trying to come up with a valid reason for one country invading another but have been unsuccesfull, i've come to the conclusion that there can be no reason for an act of war esspecially when 'god blessed them with all reason'

in a way we all live forever cos if u think about it the time we have here is infinite by that i mean you can't predict with any certainty the time of death so what do we call an undefined number?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:36 AM   #5
j1m
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: earth
Posts: 3
Bincount™: 0
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

i think hes saying that humans are the only living beings on earth that are conscience that they will die (not just that they might die). with that in mind and in light of the other lyric 'monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground' why would we want to speed this process up by sencelessly killing each other over somthing that is constantly chaging anyway??

i don't think maynard is saying to raise an eye to heaven and fear the creator so that you don't go to hell that's what your average catholic would have do, that runs against tha grain of what i think tool are on about.

personally i rekon this song is a masterpiece a stand alone cos not only does it talk about creation but also evolution as well as in a way asking the question what would the angels/god/jesus (beings that i think only exist in our minds and are only as real as our minds) think of the human species actions? maynard is right in saying that they would be 'puzzeled and amused'. by comparing us to monkeys i think he's trying to bring in the obviousnes of our evolution and at the same time emphasizing the fact that these actions are without reason. i've laid awake at nite trying to come up with a valid reason for one country invading another but have been unsuccesfull, i've come to the conclusion that there can be no reason for an act of war esspecially when 'god blessed them with all reason'

in a way we all live forever cos if u think about it the time we have here is infinite by that i mean you can't predict with any certainty the time of death so what do we call an undefined number?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
06-14-2006, 05:03 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verboten
He's referring to spiritual enlightenment; like so much of their music has.
Exactly... "Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here"

Repugnant is the creature who just get's by life on the surface level without questioning, reflecting and opening up their third eye to spirituality and enlightement knowing that we are only on this earth, in this body, for a short time.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:03 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
bellamadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I exist?
Posts: 442
Bincount™: 1
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verboten
He's referring to spiritual enlightenment; like so much of their music has.
Exactly... "Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here"

Repugnant is the creature who just get's by life on the surface level without questioning, reflecting and opening up their third eye to spirituality and enlightement knowing that we are only on this earth, in this body, for a short time.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
eslupminoyler's Avatar eslupminoyler
06-14-2006, 05:36 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.
"I'm sorry Mrs. Gump, but the state requires an iq of at least 80 to attend public school."

People are repugnant whether they look to God for answers or not. But the essence of repugnant is denying the possibility that God loves you, has all the answers, and that Heaven is up there waiting for you.

So you are saying people must be static in their spiritual or religous beliefs. Personally, I sensed meaning like this in Lateralus. Maybe if you took your head out of your ass you might see the truth above you.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:36 AM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
eslupminoyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Posts: 333
Bincount™: 7
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.
"I'm sorry Mrs. Gump, but the state requires an iq of at least 80 to attend public school."

People are repugnant whether they look to God for answers or not. But the essence of repugnant is denying the possibility that God loves you, has all the answers, and that Heaven is up there waiting for you.

So you are saying people must be static in their spiritual or religous beliefs. Personally, I sensed meaning like this in Lateralus. Maybe if you took your head out of your ass you might see the truth above you.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
eslupminoyler's Avatar eslupminoyler
06-14-2006, 05:44 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistarChang
"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here"

In light of the rest of the song, I think perhaps what Maynard means it that 'repugnant' is any individual who wishes to live selfishly (ie. killing other monkeys over pieces of the ground) rather than working with the whole to realise a utopia, an Eden that the human race could easily achieve if only we would open our fucking eyes.
I'll go with something similar to that too!

But when he returns to "Right in Two", lyric, he is saying that it won't happen. The selfless and selfish will be split.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:44 AM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
eslupminoyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Posts: 333
Bincount™: 7
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistarChang
"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here"

In light of the rest of the song, I think perhaps what Maynard means it that 'repugnant' is any individual who wishes to live selfishly (ie. killing other monkeys over pieces of the ground) rather than working with the whole to realise a utopia, an Eden that the human race could easily achieve if only we would open our fucking eyes.
I'll go with something similar to that too!

But when he returns to "Right in Two", lyric, he is saying that it won't happen. The selfless and selfish will be split.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
06-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Reply With Quote

I don't think "lift an eye to heaven" is a literal statement. It just means that we refuse to let our mind's eye see the possibility to create heaven here on earth; instead, we're bound to divide it (earth), Right In Two. And that's repugnant.
__________________
Holes in what's left of my reason
Holes in the knees of my blues
Odds against me been increasing
But I'll pull through
Old 06-14-2006, 07:02 AM   #9
Ron Swampson
 
swampyfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sweet home
Posts: 3,064
Bincount™: 5576
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

I don't think "lift an eye to heaven" is a literal statement. It just means that we refuse to let our mind's eye see the possibility to create heaven here on earth; instead, we're bound to divide it (earth), Right In Two. And that's repugnant.
__________________
Holes in what's left of my reason
Holes in the knees of my blues
Odds against me been increasing
But I'll pull through
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-14-2006, 07:03 AM
Reply With Quote

Well I don't think the general idea of the holy book is a bad thing. So using it in a kind of metaphorical meaning (like in 10,000 days) for this type of lyric is fine.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:03 AM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Terry21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: -
Posts: 995
Bincount™: 60
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Well I don't think the general idea of the holy book is a bad thing. So using it in a kind of metaphorical meaning (like in 10,000 days) for this type of lyric is fine.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
holotrope's Avatar holotrope
06-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.

hmmmm... i don't know where to start with this one, but I'll keep it simple:

I think what Maynard is talking about is the simple sense of wonder that there is something beyond what we see, hear, taste, and smell. Experience is an important part of life, but there is more to think about than that. The song is (on one level) about people overlooking ideals while satisfying their gross desires/impulses. I think this does have its reflection in many religions/faiths/creed/spiritual disciplines, but it's limited to that. Basically, "lifting an eye to heaven" is considering possibilities outside our individual desires and recognizing a common humanity between us that transcends our petty selfishness.

We're not repugnant because we don't look up to God, but because we don't stop to consider the bigger picture before satisfying ourselves in our own little image of the world. Think of 'heaven' here as a Platonic heaven- it's where the ideals of all our imperfect concepts live, but if we don't look up to them, we are bound to dwell in ever increasing cycles of imperfection rather than striving towards those ideals and perfecting ourselves.
__________________
"Continuous discrimination between the Self and the not-Self is the remedy for the dispelling of ignorance." - Patanjali, Yoga Sutras
"How am I not myself?" - I Heart Huckabees
Check out my band- Of The I
Help people, you lazy bum
Old 06-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #11
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
holotrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,099
Bincount™: 21
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.

hmmmm... i don't know where to start with this one, but I'll keep it simple:

I think what Maynard is talking about is the simple sense of wonder that there is something beyond what we see, hear, taste, and smell. Experience is an important part of life, but there is more to think about than that. The song is (on one level) about people overlooking ideals while satisfying their gross desires/impulses. I think this does have its reflection in many religions/faiths/creed/spiritual disciplines, but it's limited to that. Basically, "lifting an eye to heaven" is considering possibilities outside our individual desires and recognizing a common humanity between us that transcends our petty selfishness.

We're not repugnant because we don't look up to God, but because we don't stop to consider the bigger picture before satisfying ourselves in our own little image of the world. Think of 'heaven' here as a Platonic heaven- it's where the ideals of all our imperfect concepts live, but if we don't look up to them, we are bound to dwell in ever increasing cycles of imperfection rather than striving towards those ideals and perfecting ourselves.
__________________
"Continuous discrimination between the Self and the not-Self is the remedy for the dispelling of ignorance." - Patanjali, Yoga Sutras
"How am I not myself?" - I Heart Huckabees
Check out my band- Of The I
Help people, you lazy bum
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
06-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Reply With Quote

How I take it and it may be a literal translation but anyways...

it's obvious the events of the song are taken from the stand point of the angels, what they witness (from the sidelines) and what they think about it all. They see us as "talking monkeys" and during their conversation about us it comes out that they're credulous at the fact that we (humans) go on about our lives, doing the things we do that are against God's law, such as killing each other (Monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground etc) and although we know of God, the one being that they hold so reverent, we humans (us talking monkeys) still ignore him and go on about our lives, even convincing ourselves that he doesn't exist and to them, it's just unbelievable that "the father" would allow it and especially giving us free will.

To the angels, they think we're repugnant since we humans (for the most part) won't even acknowledge his existance even though he "the father" made us. It's an interesting 3rd person point of view song about what the angels think and it doesn't necessarily reflect nard's own beliefs. It's more like, he's just telling us a story.
__________________
Vote for Vicarious and The Pot here: http://1077theend.com/playlist.asp
Old 06-14-2006, 01:01 PM   #12
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
SunBurN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 198
Bincount™: 0
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

How I take it and it may be a literal translation but anyways...

it's obvious the events of the song are taken from the stand point of the angels, what they witness (from the sidelines) and what they think about it all. They see us as "talking monkeys" and during their conversation about us it comes out that they're credulous at the fact that we (humans) go on about our lives, doing the things we do that are against God's law, such as killing each other (Monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground etc) and although we know of God, the one being that they hold so reverent, we humans (us talking monkeys) still ignore him and go on about our lives, even convincing ourselves that he doesn't exist and to them, it's just unbelievable that "the father" would allow it and especially giving us free will.

To the angels, they think we're repugnant since we humans (for the most part) won't even acknowledge his existance even though he "the father" made us. It's an interesting 3rd person point of view song about what the angels think and it doesn't necessarily reflect nard's own beliefs. It's more like, he's just telling us a story.
__________________
Vote for Vicarious and The Pot here: http://1077theend.com/playlist.asp
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
AskAQuestionGetAnAnswer
06-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Reply With Quote

This is the one and only post I will ever make to this forum.

I’ve noticed the most are stating, “...what does he mean by this....? I think he means this ..... I can’t believe he’s suggesting....”. My comments are for you to *Stop*. Think for moment. Honestly, why does it matter what he means? It doesn’t. Are you ever going to meet Maynard? Nope. Am I? Nope. Do I want to? Not at all. So ask yourself, why does the implied significance of his lyrics hold such a large sway over your opinion? The question you should be asking is, “What does this mean to me?” & “What impact has this melody given to my life...?”

Open your mind.

There are many and few amongst us that seek wisdom - knowledge, intellect, and enlightenment - to the detriment of themselves and the ones they care for. I honestly do not feel that Maynard is any different. The seeking of such is not intentional, it is an unfortunate after-effect of our genome and our environmentally influenced past. We are a result of our questioning – but questioning is a curse and a torment of necessity. What’s the phrase, “All Indians, No Chiefs”... With that in mind, there is a difference between people that think on certain levels, and people that think like the majority of our population. The majority is not intellectual, they are not knowledgeable, and they are not enlightened. They do not seek to be any of these, so they are Indians... They dance around the fire with their creepy perverted husbands and I would like to push them in and laugh while they burn to death. Sound harsh? Oh well.

On the other hand you have pure human compassion – those that you attempt to hold onto – your last glimmer of hope in humanity. Cutting the bonds of ignorance from them is on of the most difficult endeavors in your life. Why? Because you are cutting all hope for yourself as well.... and your future. Who will leave your legacy behind when you lie in bed at night and question the insignificance of your own life? Have you ever stop to question why rationality and intuition are rarities in this world? Well I do.. every time I listen to this album. I honestly can’t answer the question, other than to state that intellect seems to be the one part of wisdom that cannot be taught. You are born with the ability to use reason and trust your instincts, or you do not have it. Has the force of the physical world become such that certain people never use these tools to assess their environment? If so, could there be a direct relation on the way the human race appears to be more and more reliant on technology as a pleasure and communication crutch? ... what if we become so integrated that we loose grasp of wanting something more? When we stop wanting more, do we continue to change and improve? Will we ever get off this planet, or are we dooming ourselves to nothing more than a school of fish, turning the same way our friends & neighbors do since it appears to be the only available option. .. ..

Since I told you to open your mind, I’ll tell you what happened to me when I stopped to reflect on this particular song. I thought about the concept of God. Have you ever stopped to really think about God? Have you ever questioned yourself into God, only to question yourself out, then back in again? What if we break the physical bonds of the world... can we become Gods? If we can become Gods... could there already be a God? If there is a God, one that has created all I see; if I try hard enough to see through it, will I see God? What if I see God, would I really see anything at all?.... and so the turn of questioning comes into a perfect circle.

You people sit and pick songs apart as if seeking your own happiness from the ability to translate what’s in the man’s head. Well, unfortunately, the answers you seek to the questions you have are no further than your own insight. Because chances are, unless the person that you are talking to has the same insight that you do, you will never be able to explain your thoughts and feelings to the ones that don’t. I will continue to struggle with this my entire life.

Samantha
Old 06-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 12
Bincount™: 0
Logically Realistic

This is the one and only post I will ever make to this forum.

I’ve noticed the most are stating, “...what does he mean by this....? I think he means this ..... I can’t believe he’s suggesting....”. My comments are for you to *Stop*. Think for moment. Honestly, why does it matter what he means? It doesn’t. Are you ever going to meet Maynard? Nope. Am I? Nope. Do I want to? Not at all. So ask yourself, why does the implied significance of his lyrics hold such a large sway over your opinion? The question you should be asking is, “What does this mean to me?” & “What impact has this melody given to my life...?”

Open your mind.

There are many and few amongst us that seek wisdom - knowledge, intellect, and enlightenment - to the detriment of themselves and the ones they care for. I honestly do not feel that Maynard is any different. The seeking of such is not intentional, it is an unfortunate after-effect of our genome and our environmentally influenced past. We are a result of our questioning – but questioning is a curse and a torment of necessity. What’s the phrase, “All Indians, No Chiefs”... With that in mind, there is a difference between people that think on certain levels, and people that think like the majority of our population. The majority is not intellectual, they are not knowledgeable, and they are not enlightened. They do not seek to be any of these, so they are Indians... They dance around the fire with their creepy perverted husbands and I would like to push them in and laugh while they burn to death. Sound harsh? Oh well.

On the other hand you have pure human compassion – those that you attempt to hold onto – your last glimmer of hope in humanity. Cutting the bonds of ignorance from them is on of the most difficult endeavors in your life. Why? Because you are cutting all hope for yourself as well.... and your future. Who will leave your legacy behind when you lie in bed at night and question the insignificance of your own life? Have you ever stop to question why rationality and intuition are rarities in this world? Well I do.. every time I listen to this album. I honestly can’t answer the question, other than to state that intellect seems to be the one part of wisdom that cannot be taught. You are born with the ability to use reason and trust your instincts, or you do not have it. Has the force of the physical world become such that certain people never use these tools to assess their environment? If so, could there be a direct relation on the way the human race appears to be more and more reliant on technology as a pleasure and communication crutch? ... what if we become so integrated that we loose grasp of wanting something more? When we stop wanting more, do we continue to change and improve? Will we ever get off this planet, or are we dooming ourselves to nothing more than a school of fish, turning the same way our friends & neighbors do since it appears to be the only available option. .. ..

Since I told you to open your mind, I’ll tell you what happened to me when I stopped to reflect on this particular song. I thought about the concept of God. Have you ever stopped to really think about God? Have you ever questioned yourself into God, only to question yourself out, then back in again? What if we break the physical bonds of the world... can we become Gods? If we can become Gods... could there already be a God? If there is a God, one that has created all I see; if I try hard enough to see through it, will I see God? What if I see God, would I really see anything at all?.... and so the turn of questioning comes into a perfect circle.

You people sit and pick songs apart as if seeking your own happiness from the ability to translate what’s in the man’s head. Well, unfortunately, the answers you seek to the questions you have are no further than your own insight. Because chances are, unless the person that you are talking to has the same insight that you do, you will never be able to explain your thoughts and feelings to the ones that don’t. I will continue to struggle with this my entire life.

Samantha
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Dolophane's Avatar Dolophane
06-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskAQuestionGetAnAnswer
Are you ever going to meet Maynard? Nope.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person on here who's met Maynard.
__________________
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
Old 06-14-2006, 02:11 PM   #14
Level 10 - Vehement
 
Dolophane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,733
Bincount™: 95
Re: Logically Realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskAQuestionGetAnAnswer
Are you ever going to meet Maynard? Nope.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person on here who's met Maynard.
__________________
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Gnome_Chomsky's Avatar Gnome_Chomsky
06-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Reply With Quote

If your willing to eliminate tool just because of one lyric in one song, I really wish you would. You would be the most closeminded person I've ever met. First off people will disagree about things, and have differant view points, but if you decide to stop listening to some ones thoughts simply because theres one set of views that dont match up you've missed the point of alot of tools work. If your so concerned with peoples beleifs that you would disregard a truely great thing for one "imperfection" then you need to re-establish your outlooks on things.

Now on to my interpretation. I think that Maynard uses heaven as a metaphore for death. People need to realize that death is coming, so we shouldnt waste our lives stealing the life of some one else.

I dont beleive that maynard has changed his views, but I think that if he did it shouldnt change what hes said.
__________________
I vote YAR for war.

http://www.last.fm/user/DanRisinger
Old 06-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #15
Formerly DJR
Suicide Booth ID: 11
 
Gnome_Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lol I am such a bummer
Posts: 1,452
Bincount™: 4398
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

If your willing to eliminate tool just because of one lyric in one song, I really wish you would. You would be the most closeminded person I've ever met. First off people will disagree about things, and have differant view points, but if you decide to stop listening to some ones thoughts simply because theres one set of views that dont match up you've missed the point of alot of tools work. If your so concerned with peoples beleifs that you would disregard a truely great thing for one "imperfection" then you need to re-establish your outlooks on things.

Now on to my interpretation. I think that Maynard uses heaven as a metaphore for death. People need to realize that death is coming, so we shouldnt waste our lives stealing the life of some one else.

I dont beleive that maynard has changed his views, but I think that if he did it shouldnt change what hes said.
__________________
I vote YAR for war.

http://www.last.fm/user/DanRisinger
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
06-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskAQuestionGetAnAnswer
This is the one and only post I will ever make to this forum.

.....You people sit and pick songs apart as if seeking your own happiness from the ability to translate what’s in the man’s head. Well, unfortunately, the answers you seek to the questions you have are no further than your own insight. Because chances are, unless the person that you are talking to has the same insight that you do, you will never be able to explain your thoughts and feelings to the ones that don’t. I will continue to struggle with this my entire life.

Samantha
Whew, that was a lot to read and digest. Well, I have to say that was quite a hefty post for it being your first here and I think it must've hit a nerve with you which is why you responded the way you did. So it's interesting to see things from your point of view, and why you felt you needed to bestow upon us your lengthy explanation about your insight but as you said, unless we have the same insight as you, your insight might only be understandable to you alone.

But seriously, you make some good points, and who knows what's real, what we'll find when we "break the physical bonds of this world" or if we ever will. Which is why my point of view and how I take this song is more of a story that maynard is telling about the angels, instead of something he's trying to tell us he believes. Even though as with everything in life, he may have changed and this could be what he believes. There's no way of knowing for sure what's going on in his head, even if he tells us something in an interview or posts the exact correct lyrics for us all to view. There's just no way of knowing for sure. And its not all that important to understand whats going on in his head, to me, I just want to know for sure the exact lyrics of the song are so I can form my own opinion of what the song means.
__________________
Vote for Vicarious and The Pot here: http://1077theend.com/playlist.asp

Last edited by SunBurN; 06-14-2006 at 03:04 PM..
Old 06-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #16
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
SunBurN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 198
Bincount™: 0
Re: Logically Realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskAQuestionGetAnAnswer
This is the one and only post I will ever make to this forum.

.....You people sit and pick songs apart as if seeking your own happiness from the ability to translate what’s in the man’s head. Well, unfortunately, the answers you seek to the questions you have are no further than your own insight. Because chances are, unless the person that you are talking to has the same insight that you do, you will never be able to explain your thoughts and feelings to the ones that don’t. I will continue to struggle with this my entire life.

Samantha
Whew, that was a lot to read and digest. Well, I have to say that was quite a hefty post for it being your first here and I think it must've hit a nerve with you which is why you responded the way you did. So it's interesting to see things from your point of view, and why you felt you needed to bestow upon us your lengthy explanation about your insight but as you said, unless we have the same insight as you, your insight might only be understandable to you alone.

But seriously, you make some good points, and who knows what's real, what we'll find when we "break the physical bonds of this world" or if we ever will. Which is why my point of view and how I take this song is more of a story that maynard is telling about the angels, instead of something he's trying to tell us he believes. Even though as with everything in life, he may have changed and this could be what he believes. There's no way of knowing for sure what's going on in his head, even if he tells us something in an interview or posts the exact correct lyrics for us all to view. There's just no way of knowing for sure. And its not all that important to understand whats going on in his head, to me, I just want to know for sure the exact lyrics of the song are so I can form my own opinion of what the song means.
__________________
Vote for Vicarious and The Pot here: http://1077theend.com/playlist.asp

Last edited by SunBurN; 06-14-2006 at 03:04 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
06-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskAQuestionGetAnAnswer
This is the one and only post I will ever make to this forum.
...................................

You people sit and pick songs apart as if seeking your own happiness from the ability to translate what’s in the man’s head. Well, unfortunately, the answers you seek to the questions you have are no further than your own insight. Because chances are, unless the person that you are talking to has the same insight that you do, you will never be able to explain your thoughts and feelings to the ones that don’t. I will continue to struggle with this my entire life.

Samantha

Whoa, take a breath! You come on here like gangbusters for the first time. I have a feeling in 2 weeks you're going to regret this post.

I think you made some hasty generalizations here that were unfair of you being so new to this site. Read some more posts, a lot more posts. You will see, people are not just on here talking about what Maynard thinks or believes. We are using that as a catalyst to discuss what WE think and believe.

Also, you say the majority of the people are unintelligent, unenlightened. I don't necessarily agree. There are a lot of idiots out there, yes, but there are a lot of intelligent people. It balances out the universe. We need the unintelligent and the unenlightened in order for the opposite to exist. (Read up on Taoism) Plus, the intelligent/enlightened can always learn, and sometimes, no often, it's the UNintelligent/UNenlightened that they learn from.

Your post seems very judgmental. Do you think you are above the others? You are wiser? If so, there's a great post on here that tells a story from the bible about being humble. You should look for it before you write another post like this.

You ask if any of us has contemplated God? You ask this in a condescending manner. Have you even read any posts on this site? Much of what we do here is contemplate God.

You have some great things to say. I just don't understand where someone that seems to be wise is coming from with this.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
bellamadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I exist?
Posts: 442
Bincount™: 1
Re: Logically Realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskAQuestionGetAnAnswer
This is the one and only post I will ever make to this forum.
...................................

You people sit and pick songs apart as if seeking your own happiness from the ability to translate what’s in the man’s head. Well, unfortunately, the answers you seek to the questions you have are no further than your own insight. Because chances are, unless the person that you are talking to has the same insight that you do, you will never be able to explain your thoughts and feelings to the ones that don’t. I will continue to struggle with this my entire life.

Samantha

Whoa, take a breath! You come on here like gangbusters for the first time. I have a feeling in 2 weeks you're going to regret this post.

I think you made some hasty generalizations here that were unfair of you being so new to this site. Read some more posts, a lot more posts. You will see, people are not just on here talking about what Maynard thinks or believes. We are using that as a catalyst to discuss what WE think and believe.

Also, you say the majority of the people are unintelligent, unenlightened. I don't necessarily agree. There are a lot of idiots out there, yes, but there are a lot of intelligent people. It balances out the universe. We need the unintelligent and the unenlightened in order for the opposite to exist. (Read up on Taoism) Plus, the intelligent/enlightened can always learn, and sometimes, no often, it's the UNintelligent/UNenlightened that they learn from.

Your post seems very judgmental. Do you think you are above the others? You are wiser? If so, there's a great post on here that tells a story from the bible about being humble. You should look for it before you write another post like this.

You ask if any of us has contemplated God? You ask this in a condescending manner. Have you even read any posts on this site? Much of what we do here is contemplate God.

You have some great things to say. I just don't understand where someone that seems to be wise is coming from with this.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
AguirreWrathOfTool
06-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.



You are living proof that the problem of religious intolerance comes from both sides.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:55 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 49
Bincount™: 1
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.



You are living proof that the problem of religious intolerance comes from both sides.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
mjr
06-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguirreWrathOfTool
You are living proof that the problem of religious intolerance comes from both sides.
I don't tolerate religion because every single one of them is man made and wrong.

Thanks for all the other replies possibly shedding light on what he could mean other than the at the surface "why don't you stupid monkeys look to God" which initially infuriated me.

I still wish and hope it is live tonight in heaven conscious of your fleeting time here. It would mean why the hell are we fighting and killing each other when all we've got is this one life. Why do we wait and profess about this "heaven"? Why not live today in this eternal peace and greatness that we wait for in the sky? (and that most likely does not exist) Thats what I wish he meant. Ugh. I'm still very conflicted.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #19
mjr
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 287
Bincount™: 0
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguirreWrathOfTool
You are living proof that the problem of religious intolerance comes from both sides.
I don't tolerate religion because every single one of them is man made and wrong.

Thanks for all the other replies possibly shedding light on what he could mean other than the at the surface "why don't you stupid monkeys look to God" which initially infuriated me.

I still wish and hope it is live tonight in heaven conscious of your fleeting time here. It would mean why the hell are we fighting and killing each other when all we've got is this one life. Why do we wait and profess about this "heaven"? Why not live today in this eternal peace and greatness that we wait for in the sky? (and that most likely does not exist) Thats what I wish he meant. Ugh. I'm still very conflicted.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
littlejason
06-15-2006, 02:19 AM
Reply With Quote

so you've completely ignored the fact that this part of the song is from the Angels point of view?
Old 06-15-2006, 02:19 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fullerton, ca
Posts: 85
Bincount™: 0
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

so you've completely ignored the fact that this part of the song is from the Angels point of view?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
06-15-2006, 04:45 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
You may not agree with religion. But not tolerating them is wrong and makes you just as worse as a extreme religious fundementalist.
Great point!
Old 06-15-2006, 04:45 AM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
bellamadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I exist?
Posts: 442
Bincount™: 1
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
You may not agree with religion. But not tolerating them is wrong and makes you just as worse as a extreme religious fundementalist.
Great point!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
06-15-2006, 05:36 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejason
so you've completely ignored the fact that this part of the song is from the Angels point of view?
That is an excellent point! We are so quick to look at the lyrics and ASSUME that they are about Maynard's point of view. But what would lead us to such a hasty conclusion?

It should be considered that this song is clearly from the perspective of the angels on the sideline, baffled and confused. They refer to God as thier Father.

Perhaps this song is Maynard saying, IF there is a heaven, IF there was/is an Eden, IF there are angels watching us, IF their/our father gave us free will, THEN this is what the angels must be thinking.

Nowhere in the song is there a line that should make us believe that Maynard is affirming any of the above things.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:36 AM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
bellamadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I exist?
Posts: 442
Bincount™: 1
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejason
so you've completely ignored the fact that this part of the song is from the Angels point of view?
That is an excellent point! We are so quick to look at the lyrics and ASSUME that they are about Maynard's point of view. But what would lead us to such a hasty conclusion?

It should be considered that this song is clearly from the perspective of the angels on the sideline, baffled and confused. They refer to God as thier Father.

Perhaps this song is Maynard saying, IF there is a heaven, IF there was/is an Eden, IF there are angels watching us, IF their/our father gave us free will, THEN this is what the angels must be thinking.

Nowhere in the song is there a line that should make us believe that Maynard is affirming any of the above things.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Cucumber_11's Avatar Cucumber_11
06-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.
Hmm... how come this isn't exceptable but "'cos im praying for rain" in Ćnima is perfectly exceptable. Both lines use Christian imagery and both could be said to promote it, but nobody seems to bitch about the Ćnima lines.
__________________
"10, 000 Days was everything I wanted Lateralus to be. When I first got it [Lateralus] I felt it was a very very good album but no way up there with my favourites. Then 10, 000 Days came and it was like 'woah'."
Old 06-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Cucumber_11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern England (The best bit)
Posts: 344
Bincount™: 192
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.
Hmm... how come this isn't exceptable but "'cos im praying for rain" in Ćnima is perfectly exceptable. Both lines use Christian imagery and both could be said to promote it, but nobody seems to bitch about the Ćnima lines.
__________________
"10, 000 Days was everything I wanted Lateralus to be. When I first got it [Lateralus] I felt it was a very very good album but no way up there with my favourites. Then 10, 000 Days came and it was like 'woah'."
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
HallsOfMandos's Avatar HallsOfMandos
06-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Reply With Quote

Don't burn your albums - Send me your copy of Salival please
__________________
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams
Old 06-16-2006, 01:49 PM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
HallsOfMandos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 273
Bincount™: 15
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Don't burn your albums - Send me your copy of Salival please
__________________
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
j1m
06-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskAQuestionGetAnAnswer
This is the one and only post I will ever make to this forum.

I’ve noticed the most are stating, “...what does he mean by this....? I think he means this ..... I can’t believe he’s suggesting....”. My comments are for you to *Stop*. Think for moment. Honestly, why does it matter what he means? It doesn’t. Are you ever going to meet Maynard? Nope. Am I? Nope. Do I want to? Not at all. So ask yourself, why does the implied significance of his lyrics hold such a large sway over your opinion? The question you should be asking is, “What does this mean to me?” & “What impact has this melody given to my life...?”

Open your mind.

There are many and few amongst us that seek wisdom - knowledge, intellect, and enlightenment - to the detriment of themselves and the ones they care for. I honestly do not feel that Maynard is any different. The seeking of such is not intentional, it is an unfortunate after-effect of our genome and our environmentally influenced past. We are a result of our questioning – but questioning is a curse and a torment of necessity. What’s the phrase, “All Indians, No Chiefs”... With that in mind, there is a difference between people that think on certain levels, and people that think like the majority of our population. The majority is not intellectual, they are not knowledgeable, and they are not enlightened. They do not seek to be any of these, so they are Indians... They dance around the fire with their creepy perverted husbands and I would like to push them in and laugh while they burn to death. Sound harsh? Oh well.

On the other hand you have pure human compassion – those that you attempt to hold onto – your last glimmer of hope in humanity. Cutting the bonds of ignorance from them is on of the most difficult endeavors in your life. Why? Because you are cutting all hope for yourself as well.... and your future. Who will leave your legacy behind when you lie in bed at night and question the insignificance of your own life? Have you ever stop to question why rationality and intuition are rarities in this world? Well I do.. every time I listen to this album. I honestly can’t answer the question, other than to state that intellect seems to be the one part of wisdom that cannot be taught. You are born with the ability to use reason and trust your instincts, or you do not have it. Has the force of the physical world become such that certain people never use these tools to assess their environment? If so, could there be a direct relation on the way the human race appears to be more and more reliant on technology as a pleasure and communication crutch? ... what if we become so integrated that we loose grasp of wanting something more? When we stop wanting more, do we continue to change and improve? Will we ever get off this planet, or are we dooming ourselves to nothing more than a school of fish, turning the same way our friends & neighbors do since it appears to be the only available option. .. ..

Since I told you to open your mind, I’ll tell you what happened to me when I stopped to reflect on this particular song. I thought about the concept of God. Have you ever stopped to really think about God? Have you ever questioned yourself into God, only to question yourself out, then back in again? What if we break the physical bonds of the world... can we become Gods? If we can become Gods... could there already be a God? If there is a God, one that has created all I see; if I try hard enough to see through it, will I see God? What if I see God, would I really see anything at all?.... and so the turn of questioning comes into a perfect circle.

You people sit and pick songs apart as if seeking your own happiness from the ability to translate what’s in the man’s head. Well, unfortunately, the answers you seek to the questions you have are no further than your own insight. Because chances are, unless the person that you are talking to has the same insight that you do, you will never be able to explain your thoughts and feelings to the ones that don’t. I will continue to struggle with this my entire life.

Samantha
i really liked what you had to say you asked some pretty pointed questions and i like that. i tend to agree with what you said towards the end bout your insight being yr own i feel this is true but what shit's me is how a lot of people i meet and talk to are not interested in challenging their pre-concived ideas, being unable to ask 'what if this or what if that' it's like so many people are going along with whoever and what ever they are told. i have to say i identify with yr struggle it's like "let's all dance round the fire till it goes out, no one's briging any more wood to burn (or ideas) the one's that do get sent away, and that's what it feels like"
personally i don't think god requires to much thought all i need to realize is that god accepts me no matter what i do or who i am. we all don't need to be accepted by 'one mans' god cos if god exists in our minds (a concept i like) then we can all have our own. since we seem to be the only creatures on earth that has a concept (or the ability to think)of god and the supernatural it seems logical that we should all think of our own and then instead of fighting, killing&dividing each other over it, we could all be one in this ability to reason with one another about something we've made up.
this all probably sounds silly. writing up my thoughts and ideas is not my strong suit.

carl
Old 06-17-2006, 12:59 AM   #25
j1m
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: earth
Posts: 3
Bincount™: 0
Re: Logically Realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskAQuestionGetAnAnswer
This is the one and only post I will ever make to this forum.

I’ve noticed the most are stating, “...what does he mean by this....? I think he means this ..... I can’t believe he’s suggesting....”. My comments are for you to *Stop*. Think for moment. Honestly, why does it matter what he means? It doesn’t. Are you ever going to meet Maynard? Nope. Am I? Nope. Do I want to? Not at all. So ask yourself, why does the implied significance of his lyrics hold such a large sway over your opinion? The question you should be asking is, “What does this mean to me?” & “What impact has this melody given to my life...?”

Open your mind.

There are many and few amongst us that seek wisdom - knowledge, intellect, and enlightenment - to the detriment of themselves and the ones they care for. I honestly do not feel that Maynard is any different. The seeking of such is not intentional, it is an unfortunate after-effect of our genome and our environmentally influenced past. We are a result of our questioning – but questioning is a curse and a torment of necessity. What’s the phrase, “All Indians, No Chiefs”... With that in mind, there is a difference between people that think on certain levels, and people that think like the majority of our population. The majority is not intellectual, they are not knowledgeable, and they are not enlightened. They do not seek to be any of these, so they are Indians... They dance around the fire with their creepy perverted husbands and I would like to push them in and laugh while they burn to death. Sound harsh? Oh well.

On the other hand you have pure human compassion – those that you attempt to hold onto – your last glimmer of hope in humanity. Cutting the bonds of ignorance from them is on of the most difficult endeavors in your life. Why? Because you are cutting all hope for yourself as well.... and your future. Who will leave your legacy behind when you lie in bed at night and question the insignificance of your own life? Have you ever stop to question why rationality and intuition are rarities in this world? Well I do.. every time I listen to this album. I honestly can’t answer the question, other than to state that intellect seems to be the one part of wisdom that cannot be taught. You are born with the ability to use reason and trust your instincts, or you do not have it. Has the force of the physical world become such that certain people never use these tools to assess their environment? If so, could there be a direct relation on the way the human race appears to be more and more reliant on technology as a pleasure and communication crutch? ... what if we become so integrated that we loose grasp of wanting something more? When we stop wanting more, do we continue to change and improve? Will we ever get off this planet, or are we dooming ourselves to nothing more than a school of fish, turning the same way our friends & neighbors do since it appears to be the only available option. .. ..

Since I told you to open your mind, I’ll tell you what happened to me when I stopped to reflect on this particular song. I thought about the concept of God. Have you ever stopped to really think about God? Have you ever questioned yourself into God, only to question yourself out, then back in again? What if we break the physical bonds of the world... can we become Gods? If we can become Gods... could there already be a God? If there is a God, one that has created all I see; if I try hard enough to see through it, will I see God? What if I see God, would I really see anything at all?.... and so the turn of questioning comes into a perfect circle.

You people sit and pick songs apart as if seeking your own happiness from the ability to translate what’s in the man’s head. Well, unfortunately, the answers you seek to the questions you have are no further than your own insight. Because chances are, unless the person that you are talking to has the same insight that you do, you will never be able to explain your thoughts and feelings to the ones that don’t. I will continue to struggle with this my entire life.

Samantha
i really liked what you had to say you asked some pretty pointed questions and i like that. i tend to agree with what you said towards the end bout your insight being yr own i feel this is true but what shit's me is how a lot of people i meet and talk to are not interested in challenging their pre-concived ideas, being unable to ask 'what if this or what if that' it's like so many people are going along with whoever and what ever they are told. i have to say i identify with yr struggle it's like "let's all dance round the fire till it goes out, no one's briging any more wood to burn (or ideas) the one's that do get sent away, and that's what it feels like"
personally i don't think god requires to much thought all i need to realize is that god accepts me no matter what i do or who i am. we all don't need to be accepted by 'one mans' god cos if god exists in our minds (a concept i like) then we can all have our own. since we seem to be the only creatures on earth that has a concept (or the ability to think)of god and the supernatural it seems logical that we should all think of our own and then instead of fighting, killing&dividing each other over it, we could all be one in this ability to reason with one another about something we've made up.
this all probably sounds silly. writing up my thoughts and ideas is not my strong suit.

carl
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
weesper's Avatar weesper
06-17-2006, 04:07 AM
Reply With Quote

More posts discussing religion in light of our genome please...
Old 06-17-2006, 04:07 AM   #26
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
weesper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 122
Bincount™: 1
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

More posts discussing religion in light of our genome please...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
STA's Avatar STA
06-17-2006, 05:05 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucumber_11
Hmm... how come this isn't exceptable but "'cos im praying for rain" in Ćnima is perfectly exceptable. Both lines use Christian imagery and both could be said to promote it, but nobody seems to bitch about the Ćnima lines.
That's an excellent point. No one complained about the Armageddon references. Maybe that's the "cool" part of Christianity, AMIRITE GUYZ?
Old 06-17-2006, 05:05 AM   #27
STA
Banned.
 
STA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,000
Bincount™: 11285
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucumber_11
Hmm... how come this isn't exceptable but "'cos im praying for rain" in Ćnima is perfectly exceptable. Both lines use Christian imagery and both could be said to promote it, but nobody seems to bitch about the Ćnima lines.
That's an excellent point. No one complained about the Armageddon references. Maybe that's the "cool" part of Christianity, AMIRITE GUYZ?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Cows's Avatar Cows
06-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.
I think Tool would do well to lose a 'fan' such as yourself.

Some good points made elsewhere in this thread though.
__________________
Nobody fucks with the Jesus.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:58 PM   #28
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Cows's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 104
Bincount™: 29
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.
I think Tool would do well to lose a 'fan' such as yourself.

Some good points made elsewhere in this thread though.
__________________
Nobody fucks with the Jesus.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
HelenA's Avatar HelenA
06-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskAQuestionGetAnAnswer
This is the one and only post I will ever make to this forum.
and (to a lesser extent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again.
Is there something about this forum that makes people cranky? This is not the first time I have seen this type of response and I have only been here a little while. Why is it that some people dive in and others react so strongly? Are we too aggressive? Do WE come across as judgemental or elitist or is the level of detail (and by extension .. amount of time wasted?) that makes people feel so annoyed?

It is a bit worrying.

You just have to hope that this person 'Askaquestiongetananswer' is sufficiently tempted to see our replies that he/she dallies a little while and finds something worthwhile. Go on ..look around ... this is a nice place to be if you love Tool.

Sigh
Old 06-18-2006, 12:47 AM   #29
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
HelenA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,724
Bincount™: 1989
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskAQuestionGetAnAnswer
This is the one and only post I will ever make to this forum.
and (to a lesser extent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again.
Is there something about this forum that makes people cranky? This is not the first time I have seen this type of response and I have only been here a little while. Why is it that some people dive in and others react so strongly? Are we too aggressive? Do WE come across as judgemental or elitist or is the level of detail (and by extension .. amount of time wasted?) that makes people feel so annoyed?

It is a bit worrying.

You just have to hope that this person 'Askaquestiongetananswer' is sufficiently tempted to see our replies that he/she dallies a little while and finds something worthwhile. Go on ..look around ... this is a nice place to be if you love Tool.

Sigh
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
06-18-2006, 07:00 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.

Why not accept it as a great piece of music instead of getting religous about it. dont care if Maynard is christian og jewish, hes a great artist anyway.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:00 AM   #30
Banned.
 
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: land of Danes! Smoking baby friend: mooseifer
Posts: 2,406
Bincount™: 4277
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.

Why not accept it as a great piece of music instead of getting religous about it. dont care if Maynard is christian og jewish, hes a great artist anyway.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
SAGET's Avatar SAGET
06-18-2006, 07:02 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.
Usually, I stick to Interact...and I haven't really ever posted in the 10,000 days section. Now I know why.
__________________
Hi.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:02 AM   #31
Level 20 - Saget
Suicide Booth ID: 16
 
SAGET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LA
Posts: 3,621
Bincount™: 1522
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.
Usually, I stick to Interact...and I haven't really ever posted in the 10,000 days section. Now I know why.
__________________
Hi.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Aunt Acid's Avatar Aunt Acid
06-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Reply With Quote

Dear MJR,
Please stop listening to Tool.

On behalf of everyone here except for probably submachine and threedeviations,
Aunt Acid

PS. Even if those weren't the lyrics I would have still suggested you do so.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Aunt Acid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sirius B
Posts: 281
Bincount™: 0
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Dear MJR,
Please stop listening to Tool.

On behalf of everyone here except for probably submachine and threedeviations,
Aunt Acid

PS. Even if those weren't the lyrics I would have still suggested you do so.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
RedMetalSox's Avatar RedMetalSox
06-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.
ENOUGH WITH THE ANALYZING OF 10,000 DAYS
This song is simple to figure out, man has taken themselves and divided themselves. No one is equal as we should be...monkies killing monkies...this contridicts the point of angles and god creating man...unless MJK believes that god created the monkey which evolved along the way tp man...
but this song is simply about how dumb and PRIMITIVE man can act and run society....these are the simplest lyrics MJK has ever written. Just enjoy what TOOL has to offer to us as musicians and stop trying to figure out a deeper meaning, did Black Sabbath try to convey all these special messages throught their songs...NO...a band is a band as a musician is a musician, just fucking listen to it and stop analyzing the music, fuck I HATE How tool fans think there is always something else going on because the songs aren't all in 4/4, get over it everyone!

Last edited by RedMetalSox; 06-18-2006 at 09:26 PM..
Old 06-18-2006, 09:24 PM   #33
King of Anal
 
RedMetalSox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 1,823
Bincount™: 3492
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.


"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.
ENOUGH WITH THE ANALYZING OF 10,000 DAYS
This song is simple to figure out, man has taken themselves and divided themselves. No one is equal as we should be...monkies killing monkies...this contridicts the point of angles and god creating man...unless MJK believes that god created the monkey which evolved along the way tp man...
but this song is simply about how dumb and PRIMITIVE man can act and run society....these are the simplest lyrics MJK has ever written. Just enjoy what TOOL has to offer to us as musicians and stop trying to figure out a deeper meaning, did Black Sabbath try to convey all these special messages throught their songs...NO...a band is a band as a musician is a musician, just fucking listen to it and stop analyzing the music, fuck I HATE How tool fans think there is always something else going on because the songs aren't all in 4/4, get over it everyone!

Last edited by RedMetalSox; 06-18-2006 at 09:26 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Aunt Acid's Avatar Aunt Acid
06-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Reply With Quote

If you don't like people analysing the music of a band, why do you post at a message board of that band that was made to analyse the music/lyrics RedMetalSox?
Old 06-18-2006, 10:10 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Aunt Acid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sirius B
Posts: 281
Bincount™: 0
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

If you don't like people analysing the music of a band, why do you post at a message board of that band that was made to analyse the music/lyrics RedMetalSox?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
RedMetalSox's Avatar RedMetalSox
06-19-2006, 02:21 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Acid
If you don't like people analysing the music of a band, why do you post at a message board of that band that was made to analyse the music/lyrics RedMetalSox?
Because I can
Old 06-19-2006, 02:21 AM   #35
King of Anal
 
RedMetalSox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 1,823
Bincount™: 3492
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Acid
If you don't like people analysing the music of a band, why do you post at a message board of that band that was made to analyse the music/lyrics RedMetalSox?
Because I can
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Aunt Acid's Avatar Aunt Acid
06-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMetalSox
Because I can
I understand...
Old 06-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Aunt Acid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sirius B
Posts: 281
Bincount™: 0
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMetalSox
Because I can
I understand...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
eslupminoyler's Avatar eslupminoyler
06-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by holotrope
hmmmm... i don't know where to start with this one, but I'll keep it simple:

I think what Maynard is talking about is the simple sense of wonder that there is something beyond what we see, hear, taste, and smell. Experience is an important part of life, but there is more to think about than that. The song is (on one level) about people overlooking ideals while satisfying their gross desires/impulses. I think this does have its reflection in many religions/faiths/creed/spiritual disciplines, but it's limited to that. Basically, "lifting an eye to heaven" is considering possibilities outside our individual desires and recognizing a common humanity between us that transcends our petty selfishness.

We're not repugnant because we don't look up to God, but because we don't stop to consider the bigger picture before satisfying ourselves in our own little image of the world. Think of 'heaven' here as a Platonic heaven- it's where the ideals of all our imperfect concepts live, but if we don't look up to them, we are bound to dwell in ever increasing cycles of imperfection rather than striving towards those ideals and perfecting ourselves.
Well we are repugnant because part of our nature is, but what I said was...
We aren't repugnant because we choose not to look to God for answers, but because we deny the possibility and the chance to test this-to look to God for answers. So basically our own angst and stagnancy has rendered our hearts cold, heavy, and brittle.
We deny love, and God is unconditional love.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
eslupminoyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Posts: 333
Bincount™: 7
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by holotrope
hmmmm... i don't know where to start with this one, but I'll keep it simple:

I think what Maynard is talking about is the simple sense of wonder that there is something beyond what we see, hear, taste, and smell. Experience is an important part of life, but there is more to think about than that. The song is (on one level) about people overlooking ideals while satisfying their gross desires/impulses. I think this does have its reflection in many religions/faiths/creed/spiritual disciplines, but it's limited to that. Basically, "lifting an eye to heaven" is considering possibilities outside our individual desires and recognizing a common humanity between us that transcends our petty selfishness.

We're not repugnant because we don't look up to God, but because we don't stop to consider the bigger picture before satisfying ourselves in our own little image of the world. Think of 'heaven' here as a Platonic heaven- it's where the ideals of all our imperfect concepts live, but if we don't look up to them, we are bound to dwell in ever increasing cycles of imperfection rather than striving towards those ideals and perfecting ourselves.
Well we are repugnant because part of our nature is, but what I said was...
We aren't repugnant because we choose not to look to God for answers, but because we deny the possibility and the chance to test this-to look to God for answers. So basically our own angst and stagnancy has rendered our hearts cold, heavy, and brittle.
We deny love, and God is unconditional love.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
eslupminoyler's Avatar eslupminoyler
06-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
"Is there a Mister Gump?
"He's on vacation."
"EEEEEEEEEEEEEHHH! EEEEEEEEEEEEEHHH! EEEEEEEEEEEEHHH!"
"Your mama sure does care about your schooling boy, hm hummm. You don't talk much do ya."-sweaty pig principal

"he heeeee heae heeeeeeeeeee hahhhhhheheeeeheeeeheeeeheeee"-forrest

"Mama, what's vacation mean?"-forrest

"Its when you go somewhere, and you never come back?"-mama


It doesn't bother me when people have searched and explored before coming to the conclusion that God is without definition (or even non-existant); however, when an individual chooses to remain ignorant and loathing, denying God just so they can blame their self-loathing and apathy on something, it angers me.

"I'm going to Heaven Leutenant Dan"-forrest
Old 06-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #38
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
eslupminoyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Posts: 333
Bincount™: 7
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
"Is there a Mister Gump?
"He's on vacation."
"EEEEEEEEEEEEEHHH! EEEEEEEEEEEEEHHH! EEEEEEEEEEEEHHH!"
"Your mama sure does care about your schooling boy, hm hummm. You don't talk much do ya."-sweaty pig principal

"he heeeee heae heeeeeeeeeee hahhhhhheheeeeheeeeheeeeheeee"-forrest

"Mama, what's vacation mean?"-forrest

"Its when you go somewhere, and you never come back?"-mama


It doesn't bother me when people have searched and explored before coming to the conclusion that God is without definition (or even non-existant); however, when an individual chooses to remain ignorant and loathing, denying God just so they can blame their self-loathing and apathy on something, it angers me.

"I'm going to Heaven Leutenant Dan"-forrest
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
mjr
06-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
You may not agree with religion. But not tolerating them is wrong and makes you just as worse as a extreme religious fundementalist.
Give me a good reason to tolerate people being ignorant and believing in false things? Why should I? Its their right to? Of course they can believe it and I can't do anything about it. But I have every good reason to dislike them and look down upon them. They are wrong.

Such heavy respect is paid to the ridiculousness that is religion in today's society that it really upsets me. It upsets me even more than Maynard would become christian or even believe in any God at all that we should look up to. That would contradict a whole lot.

Just like imagery in Wings (and literalness because of his mother and her beliefs), the Aenima line with "pray" in it doesn't have anything to do with praying to a deity. It is more along the lines of verbs such as hope and wish in the context that it is in.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:43 PM   #39
mjr
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 287
Bincount™: 0
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
You may not agree with religion. But not tolerating them is wrong and makes you just as worse as a extreme religious fundementalist.
Give me a good reason to tolerate people being ignorant and believing in false things? Why should I? Its their right to? Of course they can believe it and I can't do anything about it. But I have every good reason to dislike them and look down upon them. They are wrong.

Such heavy respect is paid to the ridiculousness that is religion in today's society that it really upsets me. It upsets me even more than Maynard would become christian or even believe in any God at all that we should look up to. That would contradict a whole lot.

Just like imagery in Wings (and literalness because of his mother and her beliefs), the Aenima line with "pray" in it doesn't have anything to do with praying to a deity. It is more along the lines of verbs such as hope and wish in the context that it is in.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
savelints8's Avatar savelints8
06-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Reply With Quote

This is exactly what we don't need in our world. If you disagree with religious people, fine - I disagree with them sometimes too. But I don't think you have any right to give them so much shit or call them "wrong". For all you know, one - just one of the countless religions out there may be right.
__________________
THE PARTICIPATION OF THE KGB IN THIS INCIDENT
IS A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION
Old 06-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #40
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
savelints8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The Phallus Palace Fernando Clavijo: Resigned!!! Sex: ***MALE***
Posts: 1,061
Bincount™: 4914
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

This is exactly what we don't need in our world. If you disagree with religious people, fine - I disagree with them sometimes too. But I don't think you have any right to give them so much shit or call them "wrong". For all you know, one - just one of the countless religions out there may be right.
__________________
THE PARTICIPATION OF THE KGB IN THIS INCIDENT
IS A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote


Reply

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Quick Reply

Forum Jump

all posts © their respective authors. the tool page is not responsible for any of their thoughts, brilliant or otherwise.