opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Jan-Feb 2007
User Name
Password
Old 01-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2007/02/04 - Perth, AUS - Claremont Showgrounds

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/02/04 - Perth, AUS - Claremont Showgrounds

Splendid show indeed! Loved the lighting and the lasers, the colours were a great choice. The screens as always, displaying awesome images to compliment the experience. Tool's sound was tight, and delivered in an enigmatic, undulating flow of spiritual expression and raw energy. The gents all seemed to be enjoying themselves. Maynard appeared to be totally ensconced in the whole vibration of their creation. T'was very pleasureable to witness. I wonder if there was any alchemy involved as far as the weather was concerned......The moon began to rise from behind the stage when the show began and the breeze started to gain momentum with each song. By the time Lateralus reached it's crescendo, the wind was bordering on gale force!!! That was the absolute highlight for myself, my knees actually gave way and the top of my head tingled for hours afterwards. I also had the pleasure of meeting some really terrific Tool fan's. Thanks for a great night. It was truly an experience that was appreciated by all six senses. I look forward to November with great anticipation!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Splendid show indeed. Not a bad setlist, was hoping for the pot and maybe opiate, but stoked about swamp song and rosetta again (got em in sydney). Probably one of the best i saw on this little tour, and in my hometown too. Thanks Tool for a sweet show, and Thanks to everyone who was there. Can't wait till November/December.

Peace, love and understanding

Trav
Jan 31st '07
Feb 4th '07
Jan 30th '11
Feb 2nd '11
Feb 6th '11
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 02:04 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

I got a lot of video on my phone but they're really bad quality which is what I expected anyway! The anticipation for Tool to start was huge. Some people started chanting and calling out for them to come on stage. When they finally did come out, everyone went nuts. I had to move a bit because the people near me at the very back didn't seem to give a shit that Tool were playing even though they were shoving in front of each other trying to see the band and being general idiots. They continuously talked throughout their set and I had to move. Also, I actually wanted to hear Maynard singing, not the 10 or so drunk people around me who decided that everyone around them should be treated to their slurred speech.

Tool were amazing. They nailed every song and Maynard was spot on. He fumbled the words a couple of times but no one really cared. A few people complained that they couldn't see him because he was standing right at the back but I did't really care. We all got to see him dancing which was made up for the fact that he was practically invisible on stage.

Maynard didn't say anything super awesome or any different from what he's been saying at other aussie shows - thanks for coming, back in november.

The stand out for me was AEnima. I don't know why, I was excited that they played Swamp Song, but they really blasted through AEnima and it was the high light for me.

Some idiot decided to strike up a conversation with me during Tool after I told him they were the only band I really wanted to see. He kept persisting and I got really annoyed and ... to put it nicely... had to tell him to bugger off. He also tried to convince me that Muse are a lot better than Tool. Why would you say that to a Tool fan!? I wonder if any of the psycho Tool fans heard what he said about Muse being a better band than Tool.

Danny is so amazing. I found myself watching his drumming constantly. I've seen videos and such of his drumming, but seeing him do his thing live is such a different thing all together. The whole band is very tight; Adam and Justin were flawless. It was a truly excellent show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 02:50 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29

Decent gig. Was at the sydney sideshow though and there was a HUGE atmospheric element missing from the BDO festival set. Had an awesome time, and cannot fault the performance, but if anyone reading this hasnt seen them at a tool-only show, do it next time theyre here (November), trust me, you will notice the difference. What pissed me off, were the fuken bogans pushing around being fuken unevolved apes even before tool came out, me n my mates just left the front-centre area of the D and went towards the middle-center because of all the stupid pissed meatheads waiting for the "WEIRD METAL BAND!!" to come on stage so they can let out their testosterone and push each other around. This is what you dont get at tool only gigs, there are still people wanting to get physically into the music, but 98% of the people are there know how to appreciate art. The other thing i found hilarious, was seeing all the new tool fans, as soon as vicarious came on there were groups of people around the place jumping up and down screaming the lyrics, whereas when the older tool songs were being played they could do nothing but stand and watch. Sorry for all the rants, but honestly, festivals are not the same as tool only shows, so look foreward to november guys, seriously its gonna be something special.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 02:58 AM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Wooo-Hooo ! Maynard confirms the "see you in November" thing, which is a always huge thing for Perth, I wonder which venue they will play? We're still 3 years away from the $380 million dollar entertainment centre replacement thing, but they will rock the joint. Second obsersvation, they fucking nailed Rosetta Stone !!!! { at the Sydney Ent Cent Gig, they seemed to have some time troubles in the last segment } Danny's bass drum is the glue that keeps the song together in that difficult pre coda alienic time signature. We certainly heard it all hit smack on the bang tonight.

TRoOoClK
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 03:08 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha View Post
Decent gig. Was at the sydney sideshow though and there was a HUGE atmospheric element missing from the BDO festival set. Had an awesome time, and cannot fault the performance, but if anyone reading this hasnt seen them at a tool-only show, do it next time theyre here (November), trust me, you will notice the difference. What pissed me off, were the fuken bogans pushing around being fuken unevolved apes even before tool came out, me n my mates just left the front-centre area of the D and went towards the middle-center because of all the stupid pissed meatheads waiting for the "WEIRD METAL BAND!!" to come on stage so they can let out their testosterone and push each other around. This is what you dont get at tool only gigs, there are still people wanting to get physically into the music, but 98% of the people are there know how to appreciate art. The other thing i found hilarious, was seeing all the new tool fans, as soon as vicarious came on there were groups of people around the place jumping up and down screaming the lyrics, whereas when the older tool songs were being played they could do nothing but stand and watch. Sorry for all the rants, but honestly, festivals are not the same as tool only shows, so look foreward to november guys, seriously its gonna be something special.
Totally agree to all of that... heres some vids for now, will try and get one up of each song, i only took small 1 minute clips though, good quality none the less.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOcyeJhhnq4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HEL8qy0tek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7X_OArBWiU
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 03:50 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Heres one of mine so far, fromt he Lateralus breakdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLcn-XVo6kY
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 04:47 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 9

I got to the showgrounds around 5ish.. so glad I went when I did... I found a good spot down the front of the beer garden, right on the fence, I think I found one of the best spots.. I was surrounded by genuine TOOL fans, no agression which was what I was kinda expecting.. 40,000 people + lots of piss + sun= lots o crazy fuckers u know?.So, I caught the last 10 or so minutes of MUSE, pulled out the J i had stuffed down my bra and sparked it up, met some dude who had seen TOOL in the UK for the download fest, offered him a toke of my joint and he declined!? So So incredibly amped by then, they had that gay loopdy loop shit music on...
THen... it began. It was fucking amazing, amazing amazing...The four of them in the flesh is like nothing else, its magik, the night was beautiful, balmy and starry, that big ol moon. They havent been back to perth since fucking forever, I was just stoked to see them again, experience them again LIVE.. I was feelin it man, you gotta make the most of whatever and I was.. I was by myself totally lost in the crowd, lost everyone I went there with but I met so many cool people, a few annoying ones too.. one guy tugged on my pigtails for awhile, eventually moved on after about 10 what the fucks??? then I met these two guys, obviously best mates, I was singing, dancing, jumping around like a fucking moron but man i was having fun, , as were they.. they were fucking loving it too, just two mates seeing their favourite band.. then they realised I was on the same trip as them, we had our own little tool congregation going, haha It was fucking the best hour and a half Ive had for a long time. At the end of the set, me and these two dudes hugged it out , just loving the vibe of seeing the boys again- grinning from ear to ear, that was cool. watching TOOl walk off stage, they looked stoked, danny threw some skins into the crowd and justin did a little japanese man bowthing haha.. hopefully they get to kick back a bit before japan. My sister went to the afterparty , said justin likes his joints BIG. Im so fucking jealous! also, perth taxis SUCK balls. Hope everyone here had a good one, today I am so evily green! COME ON NOVEMEBERR!
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 05:11 AM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

Second best I heard was a colleagues daughter and her best friend were on the side of the stage for the whole Tool gig ... something to do with an uncle being on security , they pulled the same tricks for Wolfmother last B.D.O. { not that WM counts for anything } but the guy reckoned that Tool rarely let people near them .... wonder about the story but imagine how cool that view would be...
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimono View Post
Second best I heard was a colleagues daughter and her best friend were on the side of the stage for the whole Tool gig ... something to do with an uncle being on security , they pulled the same tricks for Wolfmother last B.D.O. { not that WM counts for anything } but the guy reckoned that Tool rarely let people near them .... wonder about the story but imagine how cool that view would be...
Yeh, i dunno, i made a point of watching the sides of the stages to see if there were people there, i could see one guy in a white shirt and i think he had something to do with the technical side of the gig. Altho, fuk, that would be an impressive view. Imagine having a leather recliner, beer fridge n bong next to you, lol.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 05:31 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

i would have had the chance to go along side stage of little birdy at the BDO as my dad teaches audio engineering and one of his students was working there, but figured i'm not that into them and eskimo joe were on at the time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 05:44 AM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

Here's what happened:

Arrived with my brother at 7:30. We were only there to see Tool. Nobody else was gonna be holding a candle to them anyway. Found a good spot dead centre of blue (Tool) stage, not close but just a few rows back from the blue tent (those who were there will know the spot). Was never going to be perfect, but I figured we're both tall so we had an okay view and I thought we'd be close enough to get good sound.

Five mins to Tool and the wind was making it difficult to get a good burn going on my pipe. Dropping to one knee sorted that out. One massive cone later, I was ready. Big, wasted grin on face, water bottle in hand, staring straight ahead.

Stinkfist opens. No surprise to anybody on here who read the setlists for other BDO shows. Personally I don't like this as an opener, actually would have happily gone without it since I've since it seen it live at the 4 previous Tool shows I've been to over the years. Great song, but just don't really need to keep hearing it live anymore.

Nevertheless, I'm happy to let it serve as an intro to what will only get better.

Then, shock and disgust registers: many of the people around me are singing along. WTF? It's great you love the lyrics so much, but I really want to hear Maynard sing them. After all, they're his, and he does them so much better (than you or I). Little Vicarious play on words, there. Yeah, I know, STFU deuceman.

Hoping the wannabe vocalists will tire of this silly shit, stupid shit, I try to block them out and zone back in.

Then, concern: a guy next to me, tall but not wide, appears to be freaking out. He's highly fucking agitated, not having a good time. He is speaking nervously to his girlfriend or girl friend, not sure which she was. "I have to sit down, I have to sit down," over and over, etc, etc. So he sits down at my feet, then after a short time lies on his side in a kind of feotal position. The girl is trying to calm him down. His mates, 3 guys of various sizes, don't appear to have any fucking idea what to do. So they do what everybody else does, which is try and watch 46 & 2.

This doesn't work very well because the guy freaking out is a distraction. The crowd is moving around too much, but they're moving nonetheless and this guy is going to get kicked, stepped on, whatever. Maybe not my problem, but he's right below me so if anybody is going to have to deal with what might come next it's me. Wonderful: I just love being in situations like this. (That was sarcasm).

People are still singing along and I thought the sound was actually really bad in this spot anyway. Not sure what others thought but Maynard's vocals kept cutting in and out. Must have been the sound people trying to get things adjusted correctly? Not sure.

Freak out dude isn't getting any better, so I asked one of his mates what was going on. "He's an epileptic," I'm told. I reply, "No way. I thought he was fucked up on acid or some kind of pills." Then the girl says, "No, he's epileptic. He's never had a problem like this at concerts but I think the crowd and lights and music are all too much for him."

I told his largest mate, who was about 6' 4" tall and 120 kilos (I am not shitting you), "You have to get him out of here. He needs the medics or some kind of help." The guy says, "Yeah, I know, but look behind us. There's too many people."

"Dude, you are a big motherfucker. You go in front and tell everyone you're mate needs help and they're gonna have to move, you know?" He shakes his head. "Nah, I can't do it, man." I'm disappointed. These guys are quite a bit younger than me, maybe early 20's, but they're all frozen and incapable of doing anything. Oh, and 46 & 2 is still playing, but that's become a side show instead of the main attraction. Which is a shame, really.

Ahh, I'll be here all night. Okay, condensed version. I said to my brother, a big bald dude wearing wraparound sunnies and a white tee shirt, "The sound here is shit and this guy's in a bad way. Let's get him out of here, get him some help, and then try and find a place where the sound is better." He agrees. But before I do this I have to - actually, want to - smoke another cone, so I do that. Now I'm much better prepared to deal with things, and of course enjoy the experience in a heightened manner.

So I talk to the freaking out dude and tell him and the girl we'll get them out if she goes in front and we get on either side with our arms around him and help him out of there. He says "I can't." Actually, he says this many times, so I just kept talking to him, tried to calm him down, and then he was okay with it, apart from the lights, which seemed to be his major concern. I told him to keep looking at the ground, we'd deal with looking where we're going, and he could just walk out with us. I felt really sorry for him at this stage. He seemed like a decent guy whose night had gone horribly wrong.

To the credit of everybody behind us, people were quick to move and create a path for us. Much better than expected. Thanks to all or any of you who saw it happen and moved out of the way. We got him about halfway to the gates near the licensed (alcohol) area, then the conclusion of 46 & 2 kicked in: the real heavy final guitar notes and drumbeats that slice through.

This guy's entire body starts jerking massively in perfect time to these notes. They ripple right through into me. Weirdest fucking thing I've felt in my life. Being stoned only heightens the whole thing, of course. Was actually very cool / scary / intense / adrenaline rush experience.

The poor guy couldn't go any further, so we had to let him drop to the ground again as Jambi started to play. After talking calmly to him while Jambi's playing (not that I'm hearing much of it), he is okay to go again, so we get him the rest of the way to the entrance for licensed area. Borther tells security, I'm leaning over the dude who needs help, and then three security apes grab me, drag me out of the way, and say, "Security. Get the fuck away from him. Mind your own business". Or words to that effect. For a change I was clever enough to keep my mouth shut and just blow the whole thing off. They didn't know I'd helped him, they were trying to get in and help him out themselves, so their intentions were good.

Luckily for me right at this point Jambi got into the real heavy part just prior to Adam's freaky voice-box guitar thingy. So stood there and enjoyed that and the rest of Jambi. Then we moved into the licensed area, which wasn't too packed, but we were a fairly long way back and the sound was complete shite. I think the wind was gusting too much and Maynard's vocals were just getting carried away, floating in and out. Plus there were a lot of moron drinking piss, talking loudly, walking past us, and their lack of interest and consideration made it a shitty spot.

Something funny happened while we were there, though: I noticed that the people in the crowd who simply have no fucking knowledge of most (if not all) of Tool's songs would cheer and applaud when Schism went really quiet, because they thought it was over! Morons! They did the same for Rosetta, which I thought sounded okay except for the location we were in.

After that we moved back to centre blue stage, little bit in front of the big V can. Sounds was better here, though still wind issues, I thought.

Swamp Song was performed well, but being the bitch I am I wanted The Pot so badly. Wasn't to be and would have been a major surprise if they had played it. Oh well, November, I hope.

Lateralus, Vicarious, and Aenema were superb, IMHO. Read some other reviews of earlier show(s) that said these last 3 almost flowed together and were the standouts. Have to agree.

During the last "Hey, hey, heys" we walked quickly to the train platform, got in the front row near the tracks, and caught the first train out. Fucking nailed our escape plan! Was the perfect ending. No delays and consequently no bullshit to deal with when patience wears thin from having to wait, and wait, and wait, for a spot on the next train.

In summary: I thought all 4 of the guys gave it 100%. They all played superbly and threw themselves into it. Maynard movements were great, he seemed to really put a lot into this show. I am humbled at my earlier bitchings about dropping vocals, not appearing to be interested, etc. From what I could hear he did all the challenging vocal shouts, screams, growls, whatever you want to call them, and came through really well. Didn't seem to have any difficulties or issues.

So all credit to the band, as professional as always. Unfortunately it was external factors that made this a less than stellar show for me. The outdoor venue, with gusting winds fucking up the sound, the crowd, which I thought were better than expected (apart from the wannabe singers, conversationalists, drunken twats who lack balance, and usual assortment of dropkicks and losers), and the other distractions (no malice towards the epileptic guy. I really hope he's okay), spoiled the performance for me.

Bring on November, and please let it be an indoor show. I'm getting top dollar seats, top notch weed, and just gonna sit there all messed up and absorb the whole thing. The 4 other shows I've been to over the years were all indoor and, for me, were greatly superior.

But not putting any shit on Tool (pardon the pun). I thought they gave it their very best.

Last edited by deuceman; 02-05-2007 at 07:43 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Btw Deuceman, in november, if possible, wel DEF meetup for the gig. I wanted to meetup at BDO, but the night before and the morning of the gig, the TDN forums wouldnt load, kept getting database error messages, shouldve written down ur mob no. when i first saw it in the pm. As you said, other that external things (bogans, wind etc), top performance byt he guys.
Yeah, I noticed the site here was all messed up on the day, so at that point I knew I wasn't likely to meet up with you and the others I'd contacted. Not to worry. November will be the real show anyway. Just hope they don't burn themselves out playing too many gigs between now and then, hopefully they'll have another short break before they do the "south pacific" leg or whatever.

The die-hard Tool fans were easy to spot at the show the other night, I reckon. My brother was laughing at some of them (hopefully none of you folks). He's 48, so we're talking about a guy who was a total acid freak and pothead, spent most of the 70's in another universe, and got to see Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, etc, etc, all in concert many times. He can actually remember some of the shows as well! He saw Led Zep play in Montreal, Canada for $5 in mid 70's!! Inflation blows, eh? Sorry, off topic.

Anyway, he was laughing and he said you could pick the die-hard Tool fans easily
because they were all shapes and sizes, ages, etc, but they all had a couple of things in common: a very intense focus and singular purpose in the lead up to the show, an almost trance like anticipation of what was to come. This is not news to me, since that's just the normal way to feel when you're about to see Tool play. Nothing else matters, nothing else should even exist. Didn't work out that way on the night, unfortunately, too many distractions for me. But whenever I was able to I just loved being able to completely plug into the band and let the music flow into me. As I've said so many times before around TDN, nobody can touch these guys. Nobody is even close to touching them.

Shit, always say way too much. Sorry about that. Oh, second thing he said the die-hards have in common is they all look like the kind of people who weren't very popular at school and would hang out on their own or with very small groups of one or two other people. The kind of people who would look that little bit different to everybody else. Don't get him wrong: he's not saying "freaks" or "losers". He's talking about fringe dwellers who choose to be on their own and do their own things because they don't need or want to conform and be like all the sheep.

I took it as a compliment. Hope others do as well. I'm proud to be part of the flock of die-hard Tool fans. Only we truly understand and benefit from what Tool have to offer us. Any other flock - musical, societal or otherwise - can't offer up anything even close to this.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Yeh, i dunno, i made a point of watching the sides of the stages to see if there were people there, i could see one guy in a white shirt and i think he had something to do with the technical side of the gig. Altho, fuk, that would be an impressive view. Imagine having a leather recliner, beer fridge n bong next to you, lol.
The white labcoat guy... Might have been DC's drum tech?
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-05-2007, 11:23 PM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by njm View Post
Holy shit. I mean this with total respect. You did a seriously good thing! I cant believe you walked away while 46&2 was going nuts! Just to help a stranger no less. You are a better person than me. I think nothing could have dragged me away from Tool!
Wasn't an entirely self-less act. The sound in that spot was poor and the guy was a major distraction (not his fault, of course). So we wanted to get back out anyway. I guess it helped him and it helped us.

Plus, when his body starting doing those massive jolts in time to the ending of 46 & 2 I was able to experience the song in a way I never have or never will again! Was cool but creepy and mind-blowing as well. My brother later said if he'd been on acid when they guy started jolting like that he reckons he would have been in a puddle on the ground as well and I'd have to dragged both of them to first aid!!

And I very much doubt I'm a better person than you or many others on here. Maybe 'cause my brother and I are older (you know, like sad old dads!!) we just reacted better and dealt with the situation. Normally I'm not a great humanitarian, but when a person needs help somebody has to help them. If nobody does or will then as a society we are, basically, fucked.

Roll on November, and if it happens again at that show it's somebody else's turn to do a good deed!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-06-2007, 12:09 AM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

Was in the popular groups from year 8 and little before the end of year 9, i knew most of those people were never my friends but didnt bother me till i started hanging out with the girls heaps and they got jealous and turned on me, i now hang out with proper people, most of them have same taste in music if that matters at all, but being happy is way better than being "popular", especially when its deemed 'uncool' to help someone out (of a fight) or something if theyre not "popular" Now in year 10 this year will be way better.

By the way http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Whisp360 for anyone who has even see a couple of my vids, ive added more and currently adding probly the last.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #19
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 282

It was pretty cool IMO... Tool was excellent and I was stoned as fuck. Some random hot chick pashed me during muse when I was getting wasted and I smoked a fat J just as tool was starting. I was in the mosh pit for the first half then I needed some space to absorb it all cos it was intense. Was my first Tool show... would be awesome at the Belvior amphitheatre.... And with mushies... But not too many LOL one of my friends said he had 70 ... HE had to leave the BDO to watch the sunset on the beach....
Old 02-06-2007, 07:12 PM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan6887 View Post
would be awesome at the Belvior amphitheatre.... .
Fuck, yeah, it would be very awesome at Belvoir, 'cause I live just 5 mins away from there! Every time there's a concert I can hear it outside as I sit by my pool drinking a beer and smoking a big cone!

Any chance they would play there in November when they come back? That would be totally convenient for me to boogie down to the venue from my place. Whoa, I'm thinking HUGE Tool before and after party at my place! Would have to send my wife and daughter away for that weekend, of course, but that wouldn't be a problem.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool was ok this time round .. nothing on the lateralus show back at the ent centre. I really have to say i didnt dig the set list Altho im not the biggest fan of 10,000 days bar wings the title track pot etc. Jambis shits me to tears, its almost ridiculous they looked like a bunch of out of touch 40 odd year old men trying to play some brand of 'mystical' metal, sounded and looked so 90's (sorry not mystical and unearthly at all guys, just reallly really lame..). Theyre a band still using the same formulas and not getting away with it in my opinion both musically and especially visually (image/mystique/) this whole psychadelic unearthly intellect shit is so lame, its as transperant as dan browns da vinci code. got some news for u guys, theres better bands out there than tool minus all the bullshit, theyre not the only guys pushing boundaries so keep your eyes and ears open... (how bad was the double time section in schism, so tasteless and so 'urgh that ugly tool sound'. Maynard shits me, i prefer his attitude in APC. my question is why is there such a different attitude in TOOL (hes the same person isnt he, why adopt different personas for different bands to conjure up some sort of wanky image?) spells fraud to me.. Sing the god damn lyrics to the song for god sake. thank god Justin (altho his bass sounded a little too poppy at times [esp during 46 &2] and danny were keeping it real.. however.
Rosetta Stoned was pretty good, much better live than recorded, tho that track i feel doesn't have the same flow and feel that their older progressive songs had. it kind of drags and has sections that sound like their in there (the chune) just for the sake of it.. Don't like adams sound either its far to crisp and metal as opposed to his fatter murkier tones of older albums..
I feel my opinion of the show would of been different, had the band the courage and conviction (they would of had it back in the day) to play their standout tracks on the new album. (have they managed to pull 10,000 days off yet?? i heard justin was having trouble playing it standing up)

Cant wait for Isis tomorrow night, a band in touch still with whats going on.. If you guys are the huge open minded trippers into good music (haha) that you all claim so passionately to be ill expect to see u all there

Last edited by mostpplrnotok; 02-06-2007 at 07:55 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

that show was just beautiful.. had an awesome spot after the crowd settled down. camped out in the D all afternoon for it. managed to take a few short videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/hairydogtrumpet
wish i went over east and saw an indoor show, now i cant wait for november..

p.s. i just got back from the isis gig :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-10-2007, 06:21 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

This is the second time that I've seen Tool on this tour, the other gig being in London in November. Although the gig was amazing as always, I'd have to say that the venue of an outdoor festival wouldn't have helped, along with all the dickheads outside that D who was making it hard for everyone. Typical setlist, very tight, shame it was a little shorter than the other BDO and Non-BDO gigs in Australia. Can't wait for the proper tour in November/December, question is? Where would you host this? I saw A Perfect Circle at the Showgrounds a few years ago, and I thought it was a pretty good location, Belvoir would be a pretty poor location. Apart from the ground level, wouldn't believe it would suit your typical tool fan. Unlike most Perth tool fans, I dont have to wait to November to see them again! I was lucky enough to get two tickets to see them in Reno, Nevada on March 18, one day after I arrive in San Francisco. I know its a 3 hour drive, but thats only like going to M. River :p

Bring on Reno!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbugg View Post
Can't wait for the proper tour in November/December, question is? Where would you host this? I saw A Perfect Circle at the Showgrounds a few years ago, and I thought it was a pretty good location, Belvoir would be a pretty poor location.
The only plausible indoor venue in Perth would be the Burswood Dome, I reckon. Holds about 12,000, which is about normal for Tool shows, I think. Suits me. After the debacle with the sound and wind at BDO outdoors, I'd prefer the indoor venue.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #25
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 151

El Duderino: "Animal on Animal violence is not cool."
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-12-2007, 12:53 AM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

Well.

I'm probably the biggest tool fanboy you can possibly get. TA member. waited 4.5 hours in front of the blue stage and had a perfect view. It was really brilliant to see them live but i don't understand why nobody has commented on how FUCKED UP Maynard's PA was the whole night!

It was damn near IMPOSSIBLE to hear him AT ALL, and i damn well should have been able to - being front row, dead centre. yes, there were dickheads screaming the lyrics loudly, but usually maynard's voice is 50 times louder than anything else around besides the music.

i honestly hardly heard anything but the instruments.

Did any of you notice how fucking INSANELY angry he got when he was screaming at the sound tech to the left of the stage?
he was angrier than i've ever seen him.
he slammed his foot down while he was screaming at him, then threw his mic at him.
he didn't sing ANY of the last 2 minutes of aenima, and countless other parts of songs. he was just so fucking angry he didnt really seem to care about the performance at all.

it was wonderful to see my favourite band, but i have ABSOLUTELY seen them do better on countless occasions, and it was plain obvious to see that the sound levels were fucked beyond recognition and Maynard was too angry to be interested in the set. they cut the set by about 10-15 minutes; enough for 2 more songs. they didn't play sober or the pot, which they normally would have in this touring cycle, and i'm afraid to say that when it comes to the majesty of tool, this was one of the worst sets i've EVER seen.

I can't wait to see them at their own show, i have so much faith and reverence in their ability and wish them better luck in the future.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: