opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 10-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #81
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
2006/09/30 - Washington D.C. - Verizon Arena

i've really been in2 tool since lateralus was released. i've always admired the way the songs r arranged. not 2 mention, tool is definitely 1 of the tighest bands... ever. seeing them live 4 the first time was ncredible! the lights, the stage setup, the images, and of course, the music. "pittsburg was louder..." yeah, i don't think so! i know i screamed so much, i had a headache after the show!! and my ears r STILL ringing a bit!!! like a few other people here have mentioned the people around them not being as in2 the show... well, that's their fault. there were a few people bhind me sitting down, and i even heard some1 say something 2 the ffect of "well it looks like we'll have 2 stand if we wanna see anything..." damn right 'cause i ain't sittin'!!! all in all, the show was awesome! my 1st tool was definitely the best rock show i've seen. the band members seem so down 2 earth and "appreciative of the fans" as 1 post mentioned earlier. i'd see them again in a heartbeat!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #82
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 381
Re: 2006/09/30 - Washington D.C. - Verizon Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlltheteainChina View Post
Great show...section 101 had a clear shot at the whole band.
101! We were in 101 E, 9 and 10. Where abouts where you 101?

The show was awesome.. Was My first and My brothers first.. Totally exceeded My very high expectations.. (..and here I worried that My expectations wouldn't be met..) at the very least I was pleasantly surprised and feel that the trip from Baltimore to DC was well worth the Arm and Leg I paid out for it. T-shirts were way too high priced, but eh.. what do you expect? Things arent as cheap as they used to be and probably never will be again. The show was plenty for Me. I was there to be intellectually stimulated by a great show.. and Tool.. now I know why I love you.

"They fought and they clawed like savages. At the end none had found what they were looking for; and they simply returned to nothing, like they were before."

First degree knows good shit when he sees it. - Ignoring Ignorance
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #83
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslupminoyler View Post
Isis was awesome. Far more emotional on guitar than tool. The sound just sucked there, and you couldn't make out the guitars.
If that was the case, then why did tool sound so damn good? they were perfect in every aspect. ISIS had potential. I'm not denying that. But man did they blow that night.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank two guys. I have no idea who they were. But we had a guy and his wife with us. Me and my bro were in 101, and his friend and his friend's wife were in 406, last row, and it was his first concert ever. We kind of felt bad, and we were walking around upstairs killing time before the show. All of a sudden, two guys come up and say, "Hey, it would be a shame if these tickets went to waste, but we have to go." And they handed them to our friend. They were section 102.... Then they just walked away. We couldn't believe it! They ended up being like 100 ft from me and my brother. It was so sweet. One of the nicest things I have ever seen. yeah, we were skeptical, waiting the whole show for the "real owners" to come claim their seats, but it never happened. So, thank you. Very very much. You made our friend and his wife enjoy the experience all the more.

Again.... Isis sucked. But, if I could see a video of that leg twitchin on the keyboard player, man I'd probably piss myself.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #84
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstDegree View Post

We were in row L, seats 1-5. I was in 1, by the aisle- caught a couple drunk(?) cats that almost fell on their ass on the way down the stairs, funny stuff.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 10:22 AM   #85
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySlave View Post
It makes you a walking billboard whose role you've paid 50.00 to play. You are an advertisement. And don’t wear the shirt of the band you are going to see. Don’t be that guy. :-)
I neither agree nor disagree with this statement, but I would like to offer this:

What better thing to advertise than the art that has changed your life? Seems to me, if the music, film, painting, poetry has a fundamental effect on your human experience, you might want to share that with others (and indirectly give them the same gift).

Just a thought.

Tool in D.C. absolutely KILLED. And to Judas96, I totally agree with you... The boys sounded 10x better than NY City Center in May (which is saying something, because I thought they tore the place down on the 2nd night, my night!).

Peace.
MF
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #86
Level 1 - Lurker

I took 2 pics of the lighters with my cell phone, and they came out remarkable for a cell phone. One was of them on the stage, with their lighter up, and the other is the crowd. I photoshopped, and combined them to make a panorama shot. If anyone would like it email [email protected]
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #87
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I liked the 2002 tour a lot.
I do appreciate the differences that the current tour contains, however.
It allows for 2 very different experiences. If you are on the floor you don't get the video experience as much, but you get some other benefits. If you are high up in the seats you get a cooler experience than you would normally.
Mostly it's just good that Tool aren't afraid of trying something radically different for their shows. Tool have done the same "big screen behind them" look for a lot of tours, and this is quite a departure from that. It could turn out that we go back to something more like that in the future. Hard to say right now. This isn't the last leg of this tour, anyway, so things will probably change again.
From my location at the show (on the floor about 100' from the stage) I don't really see any of the video on the stage deck, but I do see the 6' wall behind them, and occassionally the scoreboard (when we use it). From the pictures I've seen from high up the stage looks pretty cool, though.
Glad to hear you are going to stick around for the next leg. I thought Maynard said this was your last show.
Thanks for the insight. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to seeing whatever you guys come up with for the Spring.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #88
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Tool is amazing...I have been to a shitload of concerts, all genres of music, and I feel completely justified in saying that Tool is one of the best effin bands ever. This is the first tour I've been able to get tix for, so I can't compare them to past versions of themselves. I've been waiting to post because I wanted to contribute something new...but I'm still having trouble putting the experience into words. They can't announce the spring tour soon enough for me...I need more Tool...nothing else seems to satisfy ;o)
Old 10-02-2006, 12:35 PM   #89
Level 8 - Vociferous

[QUOTE=jwb;1446548]Glad to hear you are going to stick around for the next leg. I thought Maynard said this was your last show.QUOTE]

He's been saying that for years. Alas, here I am in Wilkes-Barre.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #90
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

7th Tool show.

Great to hear The Pot and Wings/10,000 Days live.

Definitely enjoyed the light show and the new stage set-up.

The guys were in good spirits and were on top of their game.

TOOL 2008!

1998: 8/1
2001: 5/15 10/6
2002: 8/9 11/3
2006: 5/17 9/30
2007: 6/7 6/9 6/15
2009: 7/30
2012: 2/2

Last edited by Novus_; 10-02-2006 at 03:49 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #91
Level 1 - Lurker

My first TOOL show! Overall i would give this show a 7 out of 10. The performance was stellar, everything was on point; the visuals were insane as well. My disappointment is that they didn't play anything off of Undertow (my favorite album). One of the best highlights of the show is when the band sat down together and Justin lit that lighter, and 1/3 of the crowd followed suit, definitely a special moment. Maynard said "Pittsburg was louder" and the crowd went apeshit and then said "i meant odor wise . . . . . but they were still louder"
Even though i was disappointed with no Undertow they did play 46+2 my favorite song off of Aenima.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:07 PM   #92
Level 1 - Lurker

First Tool concert for me and they have been my best-loved band since AEnema came out. Why or how it is possible that I waited 10+ years to see them is hideous and disgusting.

I got last-minute tickets to this show (Thank you Justin) and it was definitely the most powerful show I've been to.

I took a friend from work who wasn't sure she wanted to go, but I assured her she would not be bored.

We had beers beforehand at Clyde's and I was trying to explain to my friend about the raw onslaught of pure emotional power that I was expecting to come, but obviously it was impossible to describe – especially before my first show! She laughed but started to understand how much I admire this band. I was brimming with anticipation and really amped. Right before Stinkfest we got 2 beers each and it was on.

I love Tool and think I know them well. But nothing prepared me for this. As a band, they were able to draw out every ounce of energy I had. I was drenched with sweat afterwards and had no voice when it was over.

Dave McKenna of the Washington Post wrote in his Monday review (Style section):

"...fans of all ages came to the arena...having memorized every time change and pummeling riff. There are payoffs to such memorization....Even for those unfamiliar with the material, this was fantastic theater."

The point about memorization is very true. For the majority of Tool fans that I have met, the ones that are really into the band also claim them as their favorite. I saw many fans singing along to the lyrics, even the difficult ones, and they knew the breaks in the songs anticipated the powerful phrasing. Years of listening to their CDs gives many of us this "blueprint" to really appreciate the music live – but as I said, I was not prepared for this experience.

Often my friend (she was very into the show as it went along) would look to me for guidance but mostly I was screaming to every lyric I knew and moving to all those riffs I know so well to even notice she was there. A few times, I was able to warn her, by saying things like, “wait”…, “here”… or “NOW…” of a particular amazing passage about to come…like the slight pause halfway through Jambi, the parts preceding the “My Shadow” choruses in Forty-Six & 2, and of course right after “It’s a bull … shit … three … ring … cir … cus … side … show ... of ... FREAKS.”

That encore couldn’t have been better, and I definitely noticed the “wave” of raised hands right at “’Cause I'm praying for rain…” – but I think that was mostly elation for the slightest of breaks.

The videos behind the band, on the Jumbotron and the laser light show all were a great complement to the music. We had awesome seats (Thanks again Justin) in section 108 row H, right next to the railing. From my vantage, I had excellent sightlines of the crowd in the section adjacent to us, as well as just below as security guards whisked quite a few fans away for whatever rules they broke. I took a few shots on my cell phone, and the one that came out best was when the 4 green lasers criss-crossed and remained in place for several seconds.

I was really ecstatic to here Vicarious, as it’s my favorite on the new album, and I liked that they played Jambi first. The buildup to the end of Vicarious was phenomenal…and Maynard screaming “VICARIOUSLY I.........LIVE WHILE THE WHOLE WORLD DIES” was one of the best moments of the concert for me. At times I couldn’t hear the drums on Schism…and vocals on a few others….but overall the sound was amazing to a fan who knows how the songs are generally supposed to sound.

I could never complain after a concert like this, but here are a few songs that I would love to hear at a live Tool show in the future:

4 Degrees
Swamp Song
Intolerance
Eulogy
Jimmy
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #93
Level 1 - Lurker

Just wanted to add that hearing Forty 6 & Two pretty much made the night for me. After it was over I screamed "thank you I can die happy now" which got a lot of laughs in my section.

I am not going to nitpick (how can I so far this has been the best show I have ever been to) but if there was one song that wasn't played that I wish they could have it would have to be "Pushit"
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #94
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Great show. I was quite happy to see Maynard more enthusiastic and energetic (and healthy) than at the last show I saw in Philly on May 17th. Would have been nice to see a mixed-up setlist, but I wasn't expecting one. Right In Two was FUCKING awesome in May, so I was a little disappointed at its absence from this show; Wings made up for it. I also heard from some source (TDN? I can't remember) that the guys were practicing The Grudge along with Wings about a month ago or so, and that could possibly mean it would show up along the tour somewhere. It would have owned face if it could have been this show.

Some of the lighting effects were kinda cheesy (like the strings of lights that came up during Lateralus), but not bad overall. Anything I can bring up to criticize is really pretty insignificant, since it really was a fucking great show and I loved every minute of it. It's great to see how well they work with each other as musicians, the level of communication they have between them; if they get off time, they just exchange looks, do some little nod or gesture, Danny smacks a drum and they're back in rhythm. Great stuff.

I brought my fiance; she's not the Tool type, listening mostly to mainstream and hip-hop, but I wanted to share with her this music I love so much and get her to experience it. She really enjoyed the show and now has a greater appreciation for Tool. So that's a plus =D

edit: ^ Seconded on "Pushit," as long as it's the long tabla version. I'd spooge.
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #95
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic View Post
All I can say is: Tool is the greatest band this planet has ever seen!

I actually went with my aunt, and I had some shitty tickets. We were up in the rafters, and it is so high up there that she freaked out and almost had a panic attack. So we went and talked to guest services and they allowed us to "upgrade" our tickets to section 121, then we were about 50 feet from the stage. She's never been to a show, and she was apologizing to me at first for freaking out. I was like NO NO NO, you just made the show a hundred times better for us hah. What amazing luck - my mind was blown. I was about to shit myself. What can I say, I'm not gonna try to analyze the show. It was an amazing experience. They were definitely ON. Best Tool show I have ever seen by far. Very cool people too. Sean, Chris and David, it was my pleasure to share that experience with you guys and everyone else!
My sentiments as well, brother! It was strange how we kept meeting up during/after the show. Even stranger was reading your post at 4:00 a.m. after returning from my brutal 14 hour coast-to-coast journey. It made me smile.

The whole D.C. experience was beyond words. Tool and 20,000 friends blowing the roof off the Verizon Center---one mile from the White House. A beacon of truth piercing the liar's lair! This was my fourth show on this tour. The D.C. fans were incredible (except for two meatheads that I will mention later). Thanks for making my solo journey worth the bullsh_t and $$$.

I was in Sec. 113 Row S on the aisle (dude in the black tank with a "bright, and blue, and shimmering" third eye on it). The view was great, although the sound (bass)was frankly lacking a bit compared to the other shows. A minor quibble---the band was incredibly tight and, I believe, more animated than some of the other shows.

I have some thoughts about the rockstar/hero idea posted earlier. I have followed Tool for over a decade, and have been touched deeply by not only their incredible precision and innovation, but by their courage and intelligence...

...No, there is something more, I believe. Tool is tapped into an energy that is beyond description, but that resides within all of us. I am a seeker, and am fascinated with mythic imagery and the shaman's journey. I once lived on a remote Alaskan island alone for a year (as a lodge caretaker), listening to Tool on a CD player powered by a generator, and have felt this connection. It is what keeps me coming to the shows again and again. In the presence of their music, I jump out of my skin, and lose myself (find my Self?).

BUT this does not mean that Tool (or Maynard, or Danny, or Adam ,or Justin) are deities to me. They are men, flesh and blood, just like you or I. I do believe, though, that they are like the trickster gods of Native American religions. Those gods were often comical and abrasive, in order to keep us from getting lost in their images. They were mere manifestations of that which is indescribable. The problem of Christianity is precisely the result of the fixation on the surface image of Christ and not the underlying mystery. This is why people will ridiculously pay a thousand dollars for a tortilla with the Virgin Mary burned upon it---as if a piece of flour and oil had any magical power! This is why I shredded a bible on the last day of Catholic prep school. Don't get lost in the image!

Tool and particulary Maynard challenge us all as devotees, to remain inspired by their music and words, and not to get absorbed in them as rock stars. They are both showmen and shamen.

BUT to be honest, I did hang aroung before and after the show to see if i could meet the band. I wanted to express gratitude for how they have enriched my life for all these years. Of course, I also felt like a groupie (which i was, for a moment).

So, there I was after last call at Ruby Tuesday's, meeting up with two other fans, waiting outside the loading bay for the band. A tour bus was outside, but I was pretty sure it wasn't theirs (which was later confirmed by a crew member walking by). Suddenly the doors open and a blond woman comes walkng out with a magnificent Great Dane (one of my favorite dogs).. I talked to her about the dog, kind of awkwardly, as she walked the dog past me. Later,as I sat against the Verizon center in front of the idling tour bus, these two twenty-something douchebags start wrestling on the pavement, for a good ten minutes. I finally said something to them, which prompted them to direct all of their testosterone at me. There I was, just wanting to see the band, and suddenly I'm being chest-bumped by two assholes. Then POW! Here comes D.C.s finest, rolling up on the scene. "Hey nothing went on,man. Everything's cool, man," says one of the meatheads to me. "Oh, really? That's not what you were saying a second ago!" Not sure what happened to them, but it was a sweet moment.

Never did get to see the band, but oh, well. The music is enough. I must remember: don't get lost in the image!

Last edited by MyiiI; 10-02-2006 at 08:48 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #96
Level 4 - Thinker

Terriffic show. I've seen over a hundred shows from Jethro Tull, Phish, NIN, Widespread Panic, P-Funk, A Perfect Circle, Ben Folds, Dave Matthews Band, Primus, etc.....but this was far and away the single greatest show i've ever seen.

I'm a musician (guitar) and have been an avid (maybe obsessive) TOOL fan since around '99. I've waited that long to witness these guys live (they came to VA twice, but i couldn't attend either show). The wait was easily worth it.

The lazers, lights, stage setup and everything was great from Sec. 121 row J. I love how clean everything looked. Maynard seemed in good spirits (however i'm sick of hearing Bush being picked at during every show i've been to in the last few years.....we get it, you don't agree with him.......but it's D.C so i guess i knew it was coming). As for his voice, i thought it was on point with most screams in tact. Stinkfist is an awesome opener by the way and the entire setlist was fine for me. Obviously the highlights were 10,000 Days (worth the price of admission alone), and Lateralus kills. The lighters were cool as well. No low points in the setlist for me. Old stuff is cool, but it's all TOOL, doesn't matter to me....they coulda played Maynard's Dick for the set ender and i woulda been fine with that. TOOL is TOOL, all of it is amazing

Danny Carey is probably the best musician i've ever seen in person...i'm no drummer, but it doesn't take any knowledge of the drums to realize that this guy is that special. Adam is great and has been a huge influence on my own sound. Maynard is what Maynard is, there's no one like him. Justin is damn near the top of my bass player list (a close 2nd behind Victor Wooten).............but this is so easily the most talented band on the planet today. It's nice to see that these guys do their own thing and are so successful at it. It makes me wonder how they'll be seen years from now in the history of music. No one else like em.

I'm hoping for some Va Beach and Richmond dates next time around.

Travel to see these guys if you have to.......don't miss this band
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 03:28 AM   #97
Level 3 - Talker

I saw that as well, I'm looking into it. From Adam's head I would imagine.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 04:03 AM   #98
Level 7 - Loquacious

I've been playing guitar for the past 16 years. For 13 of those years I've been a die hard Tool fan. As cheesy as it may sound, seeing the songs that have inspired me performed live by its creators was a bit of an emotional experience.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 05:20 AM   #99
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstDegree View Post

The show was awesome.. Was My first and My brothers first.. Totally exceeded My very high expectations.. (..and here I worried that My expectations wouldn't be met..) at the very least I was pleasantly surprised and feel that the trip from Baltimore to DC was well worth the Arm and Leg I paid out for it. T-shirts were way too high priced, but eh.. what do you expect? Things arent as cheap as they used to be and probably never will be again. The show was plenty for Me. I was there to be intellectually stimulated by a great show.. and Tool.. now I know why I love you.

I believe we were neighbors at the show. We were the two girls sitting in front of you, section 101, row D, seats 9-10. I may of said hi, but can't remember. The seats were great considering how close to the floor they were. I think they were a bargin considering how expensive the floor seats were. And beside we were elevated a bit to get a better view of band. I heard, through grapevine, that Baltimore may be visted by band on next leg of tour. I had to travel from WV, so I understand about the travel thing. This band is worth traveling many miles to see in my opinion. Still riding the high from Saturdays show. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 06:39 AM   #100
Level 1 - Lurker

There are some Tool songs that are worth waiting for the 5-10 minute build, but I don't think Wings for Marie is one of them. I mean it's great on the CD, but I think that time could be better used live. Alas, I know they are pushing the new CD so we got what we got.

I've seen Tool a few times and I would count this as the weakest show. The funny thing is how I can call it weakest Tool show I've ever seen, but it still be one of the best concerts ever.

Singing Aenima word for word with THOUSANDS of other people, was some of the most fun I think I've ever had. I remember when I was in Highschool (7 yrs ago) and I new Aenima word for word, people thought i was insane.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #101
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfall View Post
What was maynards reference to 2008?
He said to write in Tool for 2008. As in the presendential election.

Highlights for me...

46 + 2
Wings/10K days
Lateralus
Sitting down and listening to Aenema with eyes closed at times.

For all the comments on sound...the Verizon Center is notorious for crappy sound. Some songs worked better, particularly the ones with a little space in them. I would love to see Tool in a theater or in the seated section at Wolf Trap.

Last edited by Doowadiddy; 10-03-2006 at 07:39 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #102
Level 1 - Lurker

Sound was better than Camden show, but the rain and energy made it really great and fun. Kind of sad to hear the same set list. I know the songs they play are so well done and its tough to mix it up, but it would be cool if they brought a bit more chaos and less predictability to the show. But they never will for some deep dark reason my mortal mind will never understand.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #103
Level 1 - Lurker

I guess as a small response to some of the setlist complaints... its a masterpiece from start to finish, it shouldn't be viewed broken down into songs but as one amazing show. thats my view at least. unfortunately this is the only time I will see them on this tour so I don't have experience viewing the same thing over and over again. I'm not sure if I could ever get sick of anything these guys do though.

I have officially fully taken in the concert now and will submit my lowly opinions. I don't want to add already noted information but I might not be able to resist. In summary, the concert was simply beautiful. These guys are truly the most talented rock musicians out there. I don't know how these four guys will be remembered in the future but I only hope they have and will make just as big if not bigger of an impact to music as Led Zeppelin did. It depresses me to think how many people will never ever open their mind and take in anything developed by these four men because of the first impressions developed by the name tool and some of the crazy folk that follow them.

The greatest part of this concert wasn't just the amazing band but also the crowd. When I go to a rock concert I always hope the crowd acts in a particular way and I'm always disappointed because they don't. At this concert, for the first time, I was surrounded by a crowd that acted in the very manner I have always hoped for. To see people lost in their own world with tool... jamming, dancing, screaming, jumping... constantly throughout the whole concert was downright beautiful. To hear the crowd sing every word to aenima at the top of their lungs, spectacular. On our third attempt to be "louder" than Pittsburgh, I don't understand how that roof stayed on that place. I've never heard an arena get that loud. If Pittsburgh was still louder, I'm glad I wasn't there b/c I don't think I'd ever be able to hear again.

One more really important note before a few negatives... at the end, when the band hugged, gave fives, and then waved, clapped, and pointed to us, I was simply ecstatic. I have never known this band to grasp their fans in that way, it put the biggest smile on my face.

ok I hate to do this but there was a few things I was a little bit disappointed with.
In comparison to the lateralus tour, the visuals weren't as good in my opinion. The band is very creative and with all creativity some ideas can survive and strengthen as great ideas but I don't feel the floor projection will. It created an extremely slow beginning to me. And also, rosetta stoned is an amazing song but the voice synthesizer thing needs to be toned down a bit. I couldn't get into the first half of the song b/c everything was mumbled. The crowd even missed the "holy fuckin shit" part which I was expecting a huge screamfest on that line!

as expected though, I left in awe.

sorry I meant to include this above... before aenima when maynard said "good. fucking. night." I personally claim he wasn't saying goodbye but was telling us how he felt.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #104
Level 1 - Lurker

Did anyone notice halfway through Rosetta that Adam bent over and turned on his guitar? From the left side of the stage, there was no Adam for the first half of the song, or if there was, it was very faint. Still overall one of the best show's i've seen of theirs. i thought it was much better than camden sounded from the lawn, perhaps because I was closer. Continental should be even better, I hope. Maybe they'll come out and play No Quarter and Bottom....
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #105
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbennett View Post
Did anyone notice halfway through Rosetta that Adam bent over and turned on his guitar? From the left side of the stage, there was no Adam for the first half of the song, or if there was, it was very faint. Still overall one of the best show's i've seen of theirs. i thought it was much better than camden sounded from the lawn, perhaps because I was closer. Continental should be even better, I hope. Maybe they'll come out and play No Quarter and Bottom....
actually i think the volume of the effect he was trying to use for the solo was set too low.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #106
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatunknown View Post
These guys are truly the most talented rock musicians out there. I don't know how these four guys will be remembered in the future but I only hope they have and will make just as big if not bigger of an impact to music as Led Zeppelin did. It depresses me to think how many people will never ever open their mind and take in anything developed by these four men because of the first impressions developed by the name tool and some of the crazy folk that follow them.
i agree...to a point...i didn't wanna be the guy to throw the name led zeppelin out there first, so i'm glad you did. zeppelin is the end all and TOOL won't surpass them in terms of influence i don't think, but i'm really beginning to think that TOOL will go down in the history of rock as a band that stands right along side of them as equals...the late 60s and 70s had zeppelin....we (90, 2000s) get TOOL.

and i know i have to keep this in context of the show....so my question is this...right after the talkbox solo, did i hear a touch of a joe walsh riff or am i crazy? i know they've spoken about effects and whatnot. i asked a couple of people, but no one seemed to notice, but it was a riff i havn't heard from TOOL and the first thing i thought was joe walsh, not sure if that's because whenever i hear a talkbox i think that but who knows.

Last edited by ironchefchris; 10-03-2006 at 12:04 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 12:43 PM   #107
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchefchris View Post
i agree...to a point...i didn't wanna be the guy to throw the name led zeppelin out there first, so i'm glad you did. zeppelin is the end all and TOOL won't surpass them in terms of influence i don't think, but i'm really beginning to think that TOOL will go down in the history of rock as a band that stands right along side of them as equals...the late 60s and 70s had zeppelin....we (90, 2000s) get TOOL.

and i know i have to keep this in context of the show....so my question is this...right after the talkbox solo, did i hear a touch of a joe walsh riff or am i crazy? i know they've spoken about effects and whatnot. i asked a couple of people, but no one seemed to notice, but it was a riff i havn't heard from TOOL and the first thing i thought was joe walsh, not sure if that's because whenever i hear a talkbox i think that but who knows.
I might be suffering from delusions but I believe I read in the Guitar Player interview with Adam, or the Revolver interview, or somewhere else, that Joe Walsh was actually in the studio when Adam recorded the Jambi solo. He was invited there because of his extensive experience using the pedal.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #108
Level 2 - Poster

My first Tool concert (only the third concert of any kind I've ever been to), and it was great. I guess I was in the minority to be rocked back on my heels early by Forty-Six & 2 and Jambi. The rest was fantastic, but that was the peak for me. The rosy glow of all those lighters while the guys took a breather tickled me no end, though. I was really glad to hear Rosetta Stoned live. The acoustics didn't seem the greatest from section 120, especially while Isis was down there. I felt like the drummer was jabbing his sticks into my eardrums every time he hit his snare. But they sounded okay, and I'd be willing to give their stuff a listen.

Hope like hell Tool will be in VA Beach or Richmond sometime, but if I can make it to another show, I will. I'll even take my twelve-year-old daughter next time, since the fans seemed pretty well-behaved. She was disappointed I didn't take her this time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #109
zbf
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosh24 View Post
I saw that as well, I'm looking into it. From Adam's head I would imagine.
i'm sorry, is your reply in response to the infinity image on the screen? if not, disregard. i'm still trying to figure it out myself.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #110
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvalootgrl View Post
I believe we were neighbors at the show. We were the two girls sitting in front of you, section 101, row D, seats 9-10. I may of said hi, but can't remember. The seats were great considering how close to the floor they were. I think they were a bargin considering how expensive the floor seats were. And beside we were elevated a bit to get a better view of band. I heard, through grapevine, that Baltimore may be visted by band on next leg of tour. I had to travel from WV, so I understand about the travel thing. This band is worth traveling many miles to see in my opinion. Still riding the high from Saturdays show. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the show.
Holy Shit!! Yes! You did say Hi! I was the dude in the Hat. The guy wearing the long sleeve shirt underneath His tool Shirt was My little brother. Do you rememer us?

I think you said hi after We were cracking jokes on Isis. You told Us that you heard they were pretty good? They were.. but they're no Tool, thats for sure! :P The Natural High is amazing, and very addictive. Sorry If we bugged you girls with our dancing and singing.. but I doubt you could hear Me because I could barely hear myself. If you did though, I apologize!

Also, did you notice the guys sitting to the left of us lit a joint during Lateralus.. I think it was? Besides the fact that they were smoking, I wanted to nudge them on the shoulder and say.. hey guys.. your missing precious seconds of one of the best concerts ever.. But I didnt want to miss any of it, Myself ^.^

Edit: I am glad that I did not get floor seats. Our seats were perfect. I'm a short guy, heh.. and even if I would have -stood- on My seat on the floor.. I wouldnt have seen anything. Basically.. The seat couldnt have been any better, in My opinion.

Last edited by FirstDegree; 10-03-2006 at 06:09 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 07:28 PM   #111
Level 1 - Lurker

Pictures and videos from DC can be found here.....

http://www.geocities.com/cwbaz/

And yes, more pics of Danny's drum head that I caught!!!

My best show Ever!!!http://stashbox.org/699/t8.jpg
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #112
Level 1 - Lurker

Another shot my friend sitting next to me got of the lighters....
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1...ightersmz8.jpg

I'm surprised nobody got the Monty Python reference by now... Not sure what point Maynard said it, but in his best fake-French accent came a "leave now, or I shall taunt you a second time!"

This probably sounds weird, but knowing somebody I've always admired musically quotes one of my favorite movies of all time is pretty damn cool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 12:34 AM   #113
Level 1 - Lurker

great show. sound was much, much better than Camden. Somehow was let in early, way early. Got to see Justin riding his bike around the floor aisles, made for a nice private picture. Bumped into some guy backstage who recognized me from the LA shows and gave me a pair of seats in the 7th row.€€€

The real wonderful part of that was I got to take a gal whose been a great Tool fan for years and was actually handing out free upgrades to folks to have floor seats. Just really good karma going around everywhere.

I really hope they change up the set in NJ or NY...
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 01:01 AM   #114
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatunknown View Post
sorry I meant to include this above... before aenima when maynard said "good. fucking. night." I personally claim he wasn't saying goodbye but was telling us how he felt.

I completely agree......when he said that, all i could think to myslef was " fuck yes it was." It really did sound sincere........unlike wilkes-barre where he sound like "fuck you goodnight go home get me outta here."
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 05:16 AM   #115
Level 1 - Lurker

My boyfriend has been a Tool fan since the dark ages and just recently has opened my eyes to the fact that they are more than just a hard rock band.
We are from Tillsonburg Ontario and we missed our chance to see Tool when they came to Canada. So, we bought tickets and drove all the way to Washington!
It was an amazing concert. Both of us were mezmerized by the level of talent that goes into their music and the mastery of thier instruments.

Every song they played was amazing!

I am officialy a Tool fan for life.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 06:06 AM   #116
Level 1 - Lurker

I just figured out that the woman I talked to after the show with the Great Dane was Camella, Adam's wife. She was very pleasant and and seemed interested that I had a big black lab. It was a bit odd though, given the context (me, a fan; she, a rock star's wife). Honestly, I just wanted to pet that beautiful pooch! I didn't even know who you were!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 06:27 AM   #117
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by digicypher4632 View Post
I'm surprised nobody got the Monty Python reference by now... Not sure what point Maynard said it, but in his best fake-French accent came a "leave now, or I shall taunt you a second time!"

This probably sounds weird, but knowing somebody I've always admired musically quotes one of my favorite movies of all time is pretty damn cool.
I was so deaf by that point, my roommate (the one whose fault it is I like Tool/APC/Pusicifer) had to poke me in the shoulder and tell me what Maynard had said. It was right before they all took a breather, wasn't it? If you hit http://myspace.com/censorshipisacancer (Maynard's Puscifer page) and check his blog, he noted he was watching Holy Grail on one of the recent entries. I got a good giggle out of that...everyone in my house loves it, too. Including the 12-year-old.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 06:32 AM   #118
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyiiI View Post
I just figured out that the woman I talked to after the show with the Great Dane was Camella, Adam's wife. She was very pleasant and and seemed interested that I had a big black lab. It was a bit odd though, given the context (me, a fan; she, a rock star's wife). Honestly, I just wanted to pet that beautiful pooch! I didn't even know who you were!
I was wondering if you knew it was her, but figured you had known and was being modest.

www.spiraleyes.com
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 06:48 AM   #119
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Heh, I forgot about the Monty Python reference. Pretty sure it was right after their little sit-down break. I chuckled.
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 08:32 AM   #120
Level 1 - Lurker

I saw the DC show (flew up from FL just to see TOOL and ISIS play together), and I have to say that although the band played very well, I was a little disappointed in the direction the band have taken their live shows. I first saw Tool back in '96 on Aenima tour, then Ozzfest 98, then 4 times on the Lateralus tour, and then in DC last weekend. I have to say that I do not like the seated floor, although I am not a big fan of moshing per se, I like the freedom to move around, dance, whatever, and not be confined to one small assigned area. However, I can handle assigned seating. What bothers me is the lack of inclusion of older material in their sets, and the fact that they rarely change the setlist. With such a great back catalog, you would think that an occasional Intolerance, Jerk Off, Hush, 4 Degrees, etc. would slip its way into the set just to mix things up a bit. I don't really buy the "It takes a million years to program the videos" explanation. I think the band just does not enjoy playing in a live setting as much as they used to -- face it, they are all pushing 40. the same things do not excite them, and I feel some of the passion has gone out of things. I like 10,00 days, and it was great to hear some of those songs played live, but the band seems to really not want to do any kind of variety. I could understand if they did not want to play pre-Justin material, but that does not explain why they have only played Stinkfist and Aenema off of the Aenima album for every single show out of the last 4 times I have seen them since 2001. Why no third Eye or Eulogy? i love those songs.

Plus I thought the stage set up wwas more dazzling for the Lateralus tour. Anyway, these are just some minor disappointments I have been feeling about the band's live shows.

On the other hand, Jambi and 10,000 Days sound fantastic live. I just wish the guys would show a little more interest in the non-singles from previous albums and show a little variety/diversity already!!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: