Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2010
User Name
Password
godhenry
07-16-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
I didn't mention in my first review post, but the way they ended the intermission was awesome. I would've sat there for another five minutes listening to them twiddle the knobs on the electronics. Hell, I would attend an entire show that was nothing but them making electronic noise.
did you guys notice that toward the end of the intermission, the flashing red eyes of the "web of beings," as i believe it's called, turned into flags of spain? when i was at the sacramento show, i paid close attention to the red eyes again. and they definitely stayed red throughout, unlike what i saw the night before. i thought it was pretty awesome that they did that, for spain just won the world cup the night before the sf show.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #41
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38
Re: 07.12.2010 - San Francisco, CA @ Bill Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
I didn't mention in my first review post, but the way they ended the intermission was awesome. I would've sat there for another five minutes listening to them twiddle the knobs on the electronics. Hell, I would attend an entire show that was nothing but them making electronic noise.
did you guys notice that toward the end of the intermission, the flashing red eyes of the "web of beings," as i believe it's called, turned into flags of spain? when i was at the sacramento show, i paid close attention to the red eyes again. and they definitely stayed red throughout, unlike what i saw the night before. i thought it was pretty awesome that they did that, for spain just won the world cup the night before the sf show.
07-16-2010, 10:29 PM

Great show! Here are some highlights from my thirty-fifth Tool show.

My buddy Gabe's apartment was only a few blocks from the Bill Graham Civic and provided a great spot to get excited about the show.

I missed almost all of Jello Biafra (opener, formerly of Dead Kennedys), but heard him do Holiday in Cambodia while I was buying my poster. Got another unsigned - pretty cool Medusa-like head in blue. I got #400/400, so that's kinda cool. The signed ones were up to $120 (were only $100 at Red Rocks two weeks ago). The sound at Bill Graham was not as good as Red Rocks.

Maynard came out in a cop outfit - complete with mohawk - seemed to be gratuitously rubbing his crotch right at the start. Intolerance introduced with: "how many of you are under 21? You were sperm when we wrote this song." He also talked about this being kinda like "Back to the Future".

I decided that I was wrong about the 8-foot tall screen that runs the length of the stage, in the back, being a projection screen. I'm pretty sure this is actually LED, and pretty high resolution too (at least compared to the low res screens that move around throughout the show). The lasers were neat indoors since they were shining on the roof for added effect.

Still found Intolerance to be the highlight of the show for me. I just love the visceral material from Undertow. Although I am often a bit ambivalent about The Patient, it really is a different song live - very cool. The electronic transitions between songs are really cool. Liked the guitar/keyboard loop that Adam created and left for us as they took a break. As somebody else pointed out, the eyes of the web of beings during this intermission looked a bit like Spain flags - perhaps because of their World Cup championship the night before!

Great time, wonderful show, can't wait for the next one...
Old 07-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #42
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

Great show! Here are some highlights from my thirty-fifth Tool show.

My buddy Gabe's apartment was only a few blocks from the Bill Graham Civic and provided a great spot to get excited about the show.

I missed almost all of Jello Biafra (opener, formerly of Dead Kennedys), but heard him do Holiday in Cambodia while I was buying my poster. Got another unsigned - pretty cool Medusa-like head in blue. I got #400/400, so that's kinda cool. The signed ones were up to $120 (were only $100 at Red Rocks two weeks ago). The sound at Bill Graham was not as good as Red Rocks.

Maynard came out in a cop outfit - complete with mohawk - seemed to be gratuitously rubbing his crotch right at the start. Intolerance introduced with: "how many of you are under 21? You were sperm when we wrote this song." He also talked about this being kinda like "Back to the Future".

I decided that I was wrong about the 8-foot tall screen that runs the length of the stage, in the back, being a projection screen. I'm pretty sure this is actually LED, and pretty high resolution too (at least compared to the low res screens that move around throughout the show). The lasers were neat indoors since they were shining on the roof for added effect.

Still found Intolerance to be the highlight of the show for me. I just love the visceral material from Undertow. Although I am often a bit ambivalent about The Patient, it really is a different song live - very cool. The electronic transitions between songs are really cool. Liked the guitar/keyboard loop that Adam created and left for us as they took a break. As somebody else pointed out, the eyes of the web of beings during this intermission looked a bit like Spain flags - perhaps because of their World Cup championship the night before!

Great time, wonderful show, can't wait for the next one...
OFFLINE |  
ElMaestro's Avatar ElMaestro
07-18-2010, 03:04 AM

Show number 9 for me. Drove up that morning from LA. Crowds for shows in places other than LA make for a more enjoyable experience. LA just brings out the douchebags. We got there about 30 minutes before it started so we had to walk like 3 blocks to get to the end of the line but lo and behold they took the back of the line and redirected us to the other side of the front of the venue so we were one of the first to get in! Right to the front of the merch table to get a signed poster and they only take cash. Luckily my roomie had 30 bucks to lend me. Met a cool dude from Santa Rosa in line. He was worried we wouldn't get posters cause some a-hole bought 25 of them. See you in hell douche! The poster came in the most unfriendly box like contraption which I had to akwardly hold onto the whole show. I was stoked to get the poster since I'm a collector but it did take away from the experience a bit.

When the lights went off I was half expecting to get bum rushed by all the metal heads that just don't understand the band. Fortunately that was not the the case. Third eye was awesome to finally see but I kind of wish it was later on in the setlist. Intolerence was AMAZING! The highlight of the night for me was the patient. Definitely one of my favorite songs.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the "smashing of the iron gates" at the end of the show security had set up metal gates to keep 10000 people from
walking across the street blocking traffic. A bunch of us were trapped against it and one brave soul and rather large dude came up to a gate and started to push it down and security was screaming at him that he would "be patient" everyone would get across safety. So we followed him and bust that shit down. Sorry fellas your pitiful gates cannot contain us. An awesome ending to an awesome show.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:04 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

Show number 9 for me. Drove up that morning from LA. Crowds for shows in places other than LA make for a more enjoyable experience. LA just brings out the douchebags. We got there about 30 minutes before it started so we had to walk like 3 blocks to get to the end of the line but lo and behold they took the back of the line and redirected us to the other side of the front of the venue so we were one of the first to get in! Right to the front of the merch table to get a signed poster and they only take cash. Luckily my roomie had 30 bucks to lend me. Met a cool dude from Santa Rosa in line. He was worried we wouldn't get posters cause some a-hole bought 25 of them. See you in hell douche! The poster came in the most unfriendly box like contraption which I had to akwardly hold onto the whole show. I was stoked to get the poster since I'm a collector but it did take away from the experience a bit.

When the lights went off I was half expecting to get bum rushed by all the metal heads that just don't understand the band. Fortunately that was not the the case. Third eye was awesome to finally see but I kind of wish it was later on in the setlist. Intolerence was AMAZING! The highlight of the night for me was the patient. Definitely one of my favorite songs.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the "smashing of the iron gates" at the end of the show security had set up metal gates to keep 10000 people from
walking across the street blocking traffic. A bunch of us were trapped against it and one brave soul and rather large dude came up to a gate and started to push it down and security was screaming at him that he would "be patient" everyone would get across safety. So we followed him and bust that shit down. Sorry fellas your pitiful gates cannot contain us. An awesome ending to an awesome show.
OFFLINE |  
OutCast
07-18-2010, 09:55 AM

My 4th tool show ( traveled all the way from NY to see it) and it was exactly what I expected which is not a bad thing. But seriously the opening band was absolutely terrible. I don't know why Tool would ever let them play. Every single song sounded the same and you could barely even make out that the singer was actually singing anything.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

My 4th tool show ( traveled all the way from NY to see it) and it was exactly what I expected which is not a bad thing. But seriously the opening band was absolutely terrible. I don't know why Tool would ever let them play. Every single song sounded the same and you could barely even make out that the singer was actually singing anything.
OFFLINE |  
contraption
07-18-2010, 11:57 PM

Does anyone here have an extra unsigned San Francisco poster they would be willing to sell me at a reasonable price (face value plus shipping and handling)?

Please PM me if you do.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

Does anyone here have an extra unsigned San Francisco poster they would be willing to sell me at a reasonable price (face value plus shipping and handling)?

Please PM me if you do.
OFFLINE |  
Jobin
07-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Show of the tour!!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #46
Level 2 - Poster

Show of the tour!!
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
07-19-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobin View Post
Show of the tour!!
i believe that. =)
Old 07-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #47
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobin View Post
Show of the tour!!
i believe that. =)
07-20-2010, 01:53 AM

Please take a look at my pictures and video footage, sinc ei sneak in my camera and just want to share the phenomenal moment of the amazing live. These were taken a the end of the venue so I assume no one was seriously blocked by me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wei1062...7624534005966/

http://www.youtube.com/user/weilun106#g/u

and ppl next to me were smoking mass of pot, brilliant show!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:53 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

Please take a look at my pictures and video footage, sinc ei sneak in my camera and just want to share the phenomenal moment of the amazing live. These were taken a the end of the venue so I assume no one was seriously blocked by me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wei1062...7624534005966/

http://www.youtube.com/user/weilun106#g/u

and ppl next to me were smoking mass of pot, brilliant show!
OFFLINE |  
gnjasmkr's Avatar gnjasmkr
07-21-2010, 01:06 AM

Show #3 of this tour and it was just amazing! I was hoping that we would have gotten something special like in 2007 when Jello came out and they played HIC. I headed up north from L.A. to see the last show of the Melvins tour on friday and thought that maybe having Jello open up for TOOL that Buzzo might show up and maybe Dale would jump on the drum-off during Lateralus or even both Dale & Coady. How sick would that have been?

Overall a great show spent with great friends and one of them even made it out for his birthday to see them from AZ.

The set was great even without any extras and need to finally sit and hear the recording for this show. I hear it's the best of this tour recordings.

On to the next in San Diego
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
Old 07-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #49
Level 4 - Thinker

Show #3 of this tour and it was just amazing! I was hoping that we would have gotten something special like in 2007 when Jello came out and they played HIC. I headed up north from L.A. to see the last show of the Melvins tour on friday and thought that maybe having Jello open up for TOOL that Buzzo might show up and maybe Dale would jump on the drum-off during Lateralus or even both Dale & Coady. How sick would that have been?

Overall a great show spent with great friends and one of them even made it out for his birthday to see them from AZ.

The set was great even without any extras and need to finally sit and hear the recording for this show. I hear it's the best of this tour recordings.

On to the next in San Diego
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
OFFLINE |  
Jobin
07-21-2010, 08:48 AM

Pried open my third eye for this one.

Last edited by Jobin; 07-21-2010 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: Delete post
Old 07-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #50
Level 2 - Poster

Pried open my third eye for this one.

Last edited by Jobin; 07-21-2010 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: Delete post
OFFLINE |  
Jobin
07-21-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contraption View Post

Please PM me if you do.
I had bought both the shirt and poster for this show. I ended up giving the poster away to someone at the show who I thought was a bigger Tool fan than me, I've never thought anyone was a bigger fan than me before. The guy had Maynord tits, and was wearing a shirt that said "I Fuck Sheep". Gavin from Tahoe if you're out there man, just remember: "Brotherhood".
Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #51
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by contraption View Post

Please PM me if you do.
I had bought both the shirt and poster for this show. I ended up giving the poster away to someone at the show who I thought was a bigger Tool fan than me, I've never thought anyone was a bigger fan than me before. The guy had Maynord tits, and was wearing a shirt that said "I Fuck Sheep". Gavin from Tahoe if you're out there man, just remember: "Brotherhood".
OFFLINE |  
njm's Avatar njm
08-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Does anyone have a photo of the poster? I would love a copy.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #52
njm
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Does anyone have a photo of the poster? I would love a copy.
OFFLINE |  
banned's Avatar banned
08-09-2010, 09:35 PM

"Junior's on it...a little quiz. quiz time. pop quizzzz..."
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...s/P1000015.jpg
Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #53
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

"Junior's on it...a little quiz. quiz time. pop quizzzz..."
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...s/P1000015.jpg
OFFLINE |  
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
08-09-2010, 10:56 PM

^ damn, very nice. Wish I had one of those bad boys.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #54
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

^ damn, very nice. Wish I had one of those bad boys.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply