Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2007
User Name
Password
reid fleming
11-25-2007, 04:36 PM

I was dead center floor 30' from the stage. And the sound was perfect.

Thank you DENVER for showing your best behavior, save the lone knucklehead, thanks for passing out during Stinkfist.

I could hear a pin drop during the pauses and Wings/10K days, and overwhelming roars of approval between songs. As classy an audience as I have ever seen in D-town.

Good thing the "special effects", were on the house, the electric fan was too lame to send the toilet paper out and Maynard wound up throwing most of the roll to the floor.

Last, Tool cannot play encores because Justin throws his strings out, and Danny sends the drum heads too.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Nov 21 Denver, CO Pepsi Center

Thank you DENVER for showing your best behavior, save the lone knucklehead, thanks for passing out during Stinkfist.

I could hear a pin drop during the pauses and Wings/10K days, and overwhelming roars of approval between songs. As classy an audience as I have ever seen in D-town.

Good thing the "special effects", were on the house, the electric fan was too lame to send the toilet paper out and Maynard wound up throwing most of the roll to the floor.

Last, Tool cannot play encores because Justin throws his strings out, and Danny sends the drum heads too.
OFFLINE |  
musicrocks's Avatar musicrocks
11-26-2007, 08:15 AM

These reviews are pretty funny. I thought I was picky. It took me more than 80 Phish shows to become (only slightly) jaded. Some of these people have seen tool 4 or 5 times and completely disect the show, and/or say how much this show or that show was so much better because they played this song or that song, or complain that Maynard didn't grab his dick during Stinkfist the same way he did the last time they played Stinkfist at "insert your hometown venue here". Where is your sense of wonder? Tool puts a lot of time and effort into their tours and you can tell. They are not in the business of letting people down, they stand and deliver. Period. This was my second tool show and it was great! Our seats were in section 317. We had a private row and everyone in our row sat down and listened quietly the whole show (for the most part). The upper level seats were awesome. The lasers provide a much more atmospheric experience at this height, and you could see the water images reflecting off the stage during flood to give the appearence that the band is standing in water (very cool). The people in our row were blown away, and thanks to their quiet reverence the sound was fine. We were all turned into giggiling pools of protoplasm thanks to the onslaut of Tool. It was like those old memorex comercials were the guy is in the chair. We were all pasted to the backs of our seats, heads back smiling at the rush of sound before us. I realize you may be the biggest tool fan there is, but give them a break. It's hard work to make an album, tour, destroy the world, and repeat...but these guys do it on the daily. Hats off to a great band, a great production staff and crew, a crystal vision, and amazing music. I could not be more satisfied with this band. I do have some comments, but my opinion means very little in the tool universe. Overall it was one of the best concert experiences of my life. I enjoyed Vicarious the most (I think). Thankfully I have the cool event poster framed (a guy getting his eye cut out by a scalple, a good image for a Tool concert which forces you to reexamine how you look at the world) so I can relive this awesome memory when I look at my wall. Thanks again Tool for doing what you do and putting on a great show...Rock on!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

These reviews are pretty funny. I thought I was picky. It took me more than 80 Phish shows to become (only slightly) jaded. Some of these people have seen tool 4 or 5 times and completely disect the show, and/or say how much this show or that show was so much better because they played this song or that song, or complain that Maynard didn't grab his dick during Stinkfist the same way he did the last time they played Stinkfist at "insert your hometown venue here". Where is your sense of wonder? Tool puts a lot of time and effort into their tours and you can tell. They are not in the business of letting people down, they stand and deliver. Period. This was my second tool show and it was great! Our seats were in section 317. We had a private row and everyone in our row sat down and listened quietly the whole show (for the most part). The upper level seats were awesome. The lasers provide a much more atmospheric experience at this height, and you could see the water images reflecting off the stage during flood to give the appearence that the band is standing in water (very cool). The people in our row were blown away, and thanks to their quiet reverence the sound was fine. We were all turned into giggiling pools of protoplasm thanks to the onslaut of Tool. It was like those old memorex comercials were the guy is in the chair. We were all pasted to the backs of our seats, heads back smiling at the rush of sound before us. I realize you may be the biggest tool fan there is, but give them a break. It's hard work to make an album, tour, destroy the world, and repeat...but these guys do it on the daily. Hats off to a great band, a great production staff and crew, a crystal vision, and amazing music. I could not be more satisfied with this band. I do have some comments, but my opinion means very little in the tool universe. Overall it was one of the best concert experiences of my life. I enjoyed Vicarious the most (I think). Thankfully I have the cool event poster framed (a guy getting his eye cut out by a scalple, a good image for a Tool concert which forces you to reexamine how you look at the world) so I can relive this awesome memory when I look at my wall. Thanks again Tool for doing what you do and putting on a great show...Rock on!
OFFLINE |  
J-Cubed's Avatar J-Cubed
11-26-2007, 10:05 AM

I'm still surprised by the amount of crossover one can find between the jam scene and Tool. I'm certainly one, and looks like Musicrocks is too. Just interesting...
I thought this was a great show. I sat close, in section 146, and only had a hard time hearing Maynard occasionally. The set had a ton of energy. I'm blown away by their live show. This was my first Tool show, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I brought along friends who are less than huge fans and they were blown away too. Really top notch performance... powerful music!
While I may not have seen Tool live before, I have been to many live shows around the country. Tool's visuals are outstanding. Really a pro job there... I had seen some pictures of the stage before hand, but no picture can prepare you for their stunning effects when they all come on. It's a different take on pschedelia than what I'm used to, and every bit as good.
Thanks to Tool and crew for a memorable evening! I'll be back again for sure.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm still surprised by the amount of crossover one can find between the jam scene and Tool. I'm certainly one, and looks like Musicrocks is too. Just interesting...
I thought this was a great show. I sat close, in section 146, and only had a hard time hearing Maynard occasionally. The set had a ton of energy. I'm blown away by their live show. This was my first Tool show, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I brought along friends who are less than huge fans and they were blown away too. Really top notch performance... powerful music!
While I may not have seen Tool live before, I have been to many live shows around the country. Tool's visuals are outstanding. Really a pro job there... I had seen some pictures of the stage before hand, but no picture can prepare you for their stunning effects when they all come on. It's a different take on pschedelia than what I'm used to, and every bit as good.
Thanks to Tool and crew for a memorable evening! I'll be back again for sure.
OFFLINE |  
hikingartist
11-26-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid fleming View Post

Positive reviews! One note on the crowd.
When the show was over and we were shuffling through the lobby with a thousand other people, suddenly the crowd starts cheering and whooping. The noise rises slowly and builds into a full size cheer. My son asks "What are they cheering about?" I said "Tool". Mind you, this is a full 10 minutes after the lights are on, the bands has left and there is no chance for an encore....and the crowd, completely separated from the stage, just breaks into a spontaneous cheering.
It says alot about the crowd and even more about the band.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #44
Level 3 - Talker

Re: Nov 21Denver, CO Pepsi Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid fleming View Post

Positive reviews! One note on the crowd.
When the show was over and we were shuffling through the lobby with a thousand other people, suddenly the crowd starts cheering and whooping. The noise rises slowly and builds into a full size cheer. My son asks "What are they cheering about?" I said "Tool". Mind you, this is a full 10 minutes after the lights are on, the bands has left and there is no chance for an encore....and the crowd, completely separated from the stage, just breaks into a spontaneous cheering.
OFFLINE |  
highplainsdrifter
11-27-2007, 10:21 AM

My eigth time seeing the boys live (including '98 & '01 @ Red Rocks) and it was fantastic as always! It's so hard to rank shows because of each unique experience each one brings from the venue to the set to the crowd. I was on the floor dead center between the sound board and the stage and the folks around me gave me plenty of room to rock out and enjoy myself. Me and a buddy fired up a nice J once Jambi started and shared some very good cjeeba with those around us. The energy from the crowd was VERY good at this show and pretty respectful from where I was. My only complaints are with Schism and Vicarious. Schism(even the double time version) is just brutal and it kills the energy of the show IMO. I'm not a big fan of Vicarious and I hate it as the closer. Flood was the highlight of the show as the only other time I had seen it live was @ Red Rocks in '98. Maynard started to clap during one of the songs and got the crowd clapping in unison, does anyone remember what song that was during? Can anyone calrify the Maynardisms for the show? Maynard said something to the effect of "Hey you drunk bastards, don't drink and drive.....cause you might spill your drink." It sounds like he keeps up on his current events as The Denver Post reported last week that Men's Health magazine ranks Denver as the No. 1 drunkest city in America as well as "most dangerously drunk city."

Peace
08-13-1998(Red Rocks) 08-03-2001(Red Rocks) 07-21-2002(Denver) 10-11-2002(Boulder) 05-10-2006(Denver) 08-30-2006(Denver) 05-09-2007(Colorado Springs) 11-21-2007(Denver) 7-18-2009(Denver) 6-29-2010(Red Rocks)
Old 11-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #45
Level 4 - Thinker

My eigth time seeing the boys live (including '98 & '01 @ Red Rocks) and it was fantastic as always! It's so hard to rank shows because of each unique experience each one brings from the venue to the set to the crowd. I was on the floor dead center between the sound board and the stage and the folks around me gave me plenty of room to rock out and enjoy myself. Me and a buddy fired up a nice J once Jambi started and shared some very good cjeeba with those around us. The energy from the crowd was VERY good at this show and pretty respectful from where I was. My only complaints are with Schism and Vicarious. Schism(even the double time version) is just brutal and it kills the energy of the show IMO. I'm not a big fan of Vicarious and I hate it as the closer. Flood was the highlight of the show as the only other time I had seen it live was @ Red Rocks in '98. Maynard started to clap during one of the songs and got the crowd clapping in unison, does anyone remember what song that was during? Can anyone calrify the Maynardisms for the show? Maynard said something to the effect of "Hey you drunk bastards, don't drink and drive.....cause you might spill your drink." It sounds like he keeps up on his current events as The Denver Post reported last week that Men's Health magazine ranks Denver as the No. 1 drunkest city in America as well as "most dangerously drunk city."

Peace
08-13-1998(Red Rocks) 08-03-2001(Red Rocks) 07-21-2002(Denver) 10-11-2002(Boulder) 05-10-2006(Denver) 08-30-2006(Denver) 05-09-2007(Colorado Springs) 11-21-2007(Denver) 7-18-2009(Denver) 6-29-2010(Red Rocks)
OFFLINE |  
kazrock
11-27-2007, 10:30 AM

Ya i think it was a pretty good show, but as far as tool shows go, it was not that great. i have seen Tool preform some $&#* that has blown my socks off! but in this concert it seemed to be too much "jam-banding" and a pretty slow moving gig. they leaned to there slower moving songs like Rosseta stone and wings for marie etc. they preformed great as normal. just wish they would have done some of there up beat songs like Aenima or Sober (songs that get so crazy the crowd drowns out the bad with screaming and singing) all the slow stuff made Genral Admission kinda boring. the pit was pretty mellow too.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:30 AM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

Ya i think it was a pretty good show, but as far as tool shows go, it was not that great. i have seen Tool preform some $&#* that has blown my socks off! but in this concert it seemed to be too much "jam-banding" and a pretty slow moving gig. they leaned to there slower moving songs like Rosseta stone and wings for marie etc. they preformed great as normal. just wish they would have done some of there up beat songs like Aenima or Sober (songs that get so crazy the crowd drowns out the bad with screaming and singing) all the slow stuff made Genral Admission kinda boring. the pit was pretty mellow too.
OFFLINE |  
ladycommish's Avatar ladycommish
11-27-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingartist View Post
One note on the crowd.
exactly. this happens at every show in Denver. I love it! :)

Ok, the show was as people have already said…just a few things that I wanted to add. Although some say it’s a cookie-cutter show, with the same set list and visuals, it’s not. Similar? Yes. But they are not really a jam band. I think it would be difficult to make the visuals fit to the songs if they played whatever whenever. I also like the non-encore. Always have, and always will. With a cookie-cutter band, you clap and yell until they come out again…it’s all for show, and the crowd and band just go through the motions. Thankfully Tool doesn’t do that, and make us do that, but Maynard did direct us to free our hands, grab our butt cheeks and hang on for a long ride (or something to that effect).

Jambi is a great opener. It’s a great song. Period. I think it would fit pretty much anywhere in the show, but if you think about it, the songs were played in an order that seemed to fit somehow. I’m not quite sure how Vicarious fits at the end, but I once again felt like I was in a TV at the end of the song, with all the red and green lasers, or that I was real close to a TV looking in at the band. I still like Lateralus as a closer. But hey, no complaints at all. And Maynard does not sing the second to last line in Vicarious, but there is a reason…and it’s not that he can’t.

They had some new visuals, like the images above the screens before they unveiled the Net of Being backdrop. Like…some more Alex Grey art and the fetus in the skull flying around during 46&2. Pretty much the same visuals elsewhere, although I don’t remember if I saw the EEG during Rosetta last time. Brain wave patterns, appearing normal, then flat-lined, then swirling, and moving to the beat of his voice. What a trip.

The 3 UFO things were there, again with patterns inside at times…the middle one had a nice mandala. I’m not sure if the other two did. The image on the screen before Wings during the intermission was awesome. I could have stared at that forever. And I did – until they removed it from the screens.

Flood was great. Right before, they messed around with what sounded like new age type stuff, then all of a sudden we got heavy metal. Yes, heavy. A total turn-around in a matter of minutes.

I liked the fake-out extended Stinkfist – I can’t believe people still sing, when you can tell it’s going to be extended. It’s hilarious though. Schism rocks extended.

High points for me, on a personal level: Forty-Six and 2 and Wings. And Lateralus. I thought it was quite hilarious that during the drums in Lateralus, Maynard blew a bunch of toilet paper at the Danny and Sebastian, littering the stage with it…I wanted to see Danny tear the shit up. And then he sarcastically thanked Sebastian for cluttering up the stage with his drums. Uh…yeah. Special effects courtesy of the house. That was totally unexpected and made me laugh.

We watched Trans Am for a minute while we checked out our seats, but headed for the bar, as I wanted to save my ears for Tool. Trans Am were not too bad…we listened to them at the bar behind the stage.

All in all, the show was one of the best of all time. The crowd was respectful, and into it, security was very loose, the atmosphere great. Again…9 songs in 2 hours? From where we sat, sect. 108 last row, on the aisle, we could see everything and hear perfectly. Everything was so crisp, clear and intense. Definitely a show to remember.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #47
Introverted Extrovert

Bincount™: 6698
Re: Nov 21Denver, CO Pepsi Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingartist View Post
One note on the crowd.
exactly. this happens at every show in Denver. I love it! :)

Ok, the show was as people have already said…just a few things that I wanted to add. Although some say it’s a cookie-cutter show, with the same set list and visuals, it’s not. Similar? Yes. But they are not really a jam band. I think it would be difficult to make the visuals fit to the songs if they played whatever whenever. I also like the non-encore. Always have, and always will. With a cookie-cutter band, you clap and yell until they come out again…it’s all for show, and the crowd and band just go through the motions. Thankfully Tool doesn’t do that, and make us do that, but Maynard did direct us to free our hands, grab our butt cheeks and hang on for a long ride (or something to that effect).

Jambi is a great opener. It’s a great song. Period. I think it would fit pretty much anywhere in the show, but if you think about it, the songs were played in an order that seemed to fit somehow. I’m not quite sure how Vicarious fits at the end, but I once again felt like I was in a TV at the end of the song, with all the red and green lasers, or that I was real close to a TV looking in at the band. I still like Lateralus as a closer. But hey, no complaints at all. And Maynard does not sing the second to last line in Vicarious, but there is a reason…and it’s not that he can’t.

They had some new visuals, like the images above the screens before they unveiled the Net of Being backdrop. Like…some more Alex Grey art and the fetus in the skull flying around during 46&2. Pretty much the same visuals elsewhere, although I don’t remember if I saw the EEG during Rosetta last time. Brain wave patterns, appearing normal, then flat-lined, then swirling, and moving to the beat of his voice. What a trip.

The 3 UFO things were there, again with patterns inside at times…the middle one had a nice mandala. I’m not sure if the other two did. The image on the screen before Wings during the intermission was awesome. I could have stared at that forever. And I did – until they removed it from the screens.

Flood was great. Right before, they messed around with what sounded like new age type stuff, then all of a sudden we got heavy metal. Yes, heavy. A total turn-around in a matter of minutes.

I liked the fake-out extended Stinkfist – I can’t believe people still sing, when you can tell it’s going to be extended. It’s hilarious though. Schism rocks extended.

High points for me, on a personal level: Forty-Six and 2 and Wings. And Lateralus. I thought it was quite hilarious that during the drums in Lateralus, Maynard blew a bunch of toilet paper at the Danny and Sebastian, littering the stage with it…I wanted to see Danny tear the shit up. And then he sarcastically thanked Sebastian for cluttering up the stage with his drums. Uh…yeah. Special effects courtesy of the house. That was totally unexpected and made me laugh.

We watched Trans Am for a minute while we checked out our seats, but headed for the bar, as I wanted to save my ears for Tool. Trans Am were not too bad…we listened to them at the bar behind the stage.

All in all, the show was one of the best of all time. The crowd was respectful, and into it, security was very loose, the atmosphere great. Again…9 songs in 2 hours? From where we sat, sect. 108 last row, on the aisle, we could see everything and hear perfectly. Everything was so crisp, clear and intense. Definitely a show to remember.
OFFLINE |  
pushit(live)
11-27-2007, 06:33 PM

this show was fucking amazing... and just think.. it can only get better from here

ahahahahaha i cant wait
Old 11-27-2007, 06:33 PM   #48
Level 2 - Poster

this show was fucking amazing... and just think.. it can only get better from here

ahahahahaha i cant wait
11-28-2007, 12:06 PM

I traveled with my two sons, 9 and 4, from Iowa to see this show. It was the best Thanksgiving we've ever had. My kids got lots of high fives, and "rock on little dude" comments. It was the first time for my 4 year old, third time for my older son.
Set list was almost exactly the same, but it didn't matter. They rocked, as usual. Can't wait for the next one!!
This was my 7th concert this tour.
I have lots of cool pics, so if anyone would care to see, email me
[email protected]

peace
Old 11-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #49
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 20

I traveled with my two sons, 9 and 4, from Iowa to see this show. It was the best Thanksgiving we've ever had. My kids got lots of high fives, and "rock on little dude" comments. It was the first time for my 4 year old, third time for my older son.
Set list was almost exactly the same, but it didn't matter. They rocked, as usual. Can't wait for the next one!!
This was my 7th concert this tour.
I have lots of cool pics, so if anyone would care to see, email me
[email protected]

peace
11-30-2007, 12:24 PM

"Maynard started to clap during one of the songs and got the crowd clapping in unison, does anyone remember what song that was during?"

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was during Rosetta Stoned, just before "Overwhelmed as one would be..."
Old 11-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

"Maynard started to clap during one of the songs and got the crowd clapping in unison, does anyone remember what song that was during?"

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was during Rosetta Stoned, just before "Overwhelmed as one would be..."
OFFLINE |  
VinDieselFiesta
11-30-2007, 09:43 PM

indeed it was during rosetta stoned. he did the same thing in casper two nights later.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:43 PM   #51
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

indeed it was during rosetta stoned. he did the same thing in casper two nights later.
12-07-2007, 08:55 AM

This is my last post here I promise...unless I think of something else.
I occured to me, if you go to the show with no preconceived perceptions, like "I hope they play 3rd eye", but with a completely open mind, you will enjoy the show very much. Do not drag the-last-time-i-saw-them setlist to the show with you. Go to the show with no expectation and you will leave fulfilled. If you are expecting tool to relive the past for you, you may very well come away disappointed. There is only the present; try to enjoy it.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:55 AM   #52
Level 3 - Talker

This is my last post here I promise...unless I think of something else.
I occured to me, if you go to the show with no preconceived perceptions, like "I hope they play 3rd eye", but with a completely open mind, you will enjoy the show very much. Do not drag the-last-time-i-saw-them setlist to the show with you. Go to the show with no expectation and you will leave fulfilled. If you are expecting tool to relive the past for you, you may very well come away disappointed. There is only the present; try to enjoy it.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply